Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The Fingerpoke... OF DOOM~!

Putting Butts in Seats

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: The Fingerpoke... OF DOOM~!

Alright, better late than never - let's do this.

Nice attention to detail to mention this being up against the Post-WM edition of Raw. I can't remember if they were as huge "can't miss" type shows back then or not but still smartly done.

And kicking off with Sting returning to the ring is a good attention grabber for sure. Yeah, it's a nothing match where the finish was never in doubt, but it's still STING back in the RING! Setting the tone for a big night.

Oh, Hogan at his glorious best with the way you write him. Loved Hogan's monologue here and hitting on his issues beyond setting up the match with Benoit. Also love the continued Flair/Clinton parallels with the sexualization of his intern and Hogan mentioning Flair would be impeached...HMM.

Nice retorts from Nash here to continue the tension between them and continue to make me wonder how legit this beef is.

Fine enough tag match with the cruiserweights though I feel like it's become a bit formulaic here between Kidman/Rudo. Lots of tag team stuff and the likes, I do like Garza walking out as that at least adds to the tension but I do find myself getting a little bored of the Garza/Kidman program as it seems like it's been going on for some time now. Ready for Garza to get the final win presumably at Spring Stampede and move on to something else.

Using Flair and Arn to pump in the charisma to keep the hype train alive for the Main Event is smart enough.

Not surprising that the first meeting between Hak and Raven in WCW would be more of a tease than anything. Fine with the way this plays out as it continues the story for now.

Still pretty curious about where this Jericho stuff is going but it certainly has my attention. Jericho demanding to be added to the DDP/Hogan match seems like something that is super unlikely to actually happen (reminds me of all the times Jericho would call out Goldberg). Yeah, it's a drastic shift in direction for him but one I like as long as it's kept realistic enough.

ICE ICE ICEBERG! Never thought I'd pop for Stevie Ray interference, but here we are. Also love Divine Lineage acting as though either of those teams were competition for them...they need something meaningful to do as tag champs, but at least that was an entertaining spot for them.

I'm somewhat surprised Jericho's desire to be in the title match even made it's way into the nWo promo here. But I do like Hogan's reaction.

DDP/Steiner again, I'm good with this. Not surprised this one ends up overbooked either and man, busy night for Stevie Ray! Obviously Page wasn't losing here with his match with Hogan on the horizon, but this was a good way to continue some other stories as well.

As a stand alone promo, I loved this Bret Hart/Goldberg interaction. I loved Hart playing up the home town crowd and I loved the use of the hockey pads as well. But overall, I feel like both of these guys have been kind of deflated from where they were earlier in the BTB. As I believe I've said before and Wolfy brought up again - Goldberg has been overall underwhelming for a guy who should've been going staight for Hogan after the Fingerpoke. At first it seemed like a slow play to get to a PPV of meaning, but now that he's completely ventured away from the nWo due to his issues with Hart. Meanwhile, I am a little disappointed that the direction of Hart from those passionate Arn Anderson promos has just lead us to this as well. I mean yeah, Goldberg/Hart on paper is a huge match (barring errant Savate Kicks), but the way we got here just doesn't feel right overall to me as I think both should be doing something else right now. I was still entertained by the segment overall, but I just find myself wanting more for both guys which is a weird thing to say when it's not like it's not a high profile program. Okay, odd rant over.

And now the moment that we've been waiting for...I mean I don't think anyone thought Benoit was winning here, but the question was how much would Hogan ACTUALLY sell for the guy and make him look good? Thankfully, Benoit does actually get the chance to look strong here prior to and even after the inevitable ref bump/mass run ins. I'm somewhat surprised Benoit actually got the visible pin on Hogan after the Swandive AND the visible tap out, that in itself is huge for The Crippler (ok yes, Hogan had the visual first...but that was to keep it from being super unrealistic, I know!)

But g'damn you Kevin Nash. Never trust a nWo break up angle. NEVER. EVER. EVER. Sadly, the whole Nash teases turning on Hogan only to help him in the end is old hat though the fact that Nash wasn't actually in the ring celebrating with Hogan after the match says there may be more to this story and most likely everything still isn't hunky dory for Nash/Hogan.

Another strong outting, I worry about your burnout and hope that you push through because it's always so much authentic WCW fun for me.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status
      Country                    Poland

One last show to post before the end of August! September will be another slow month of updates, maybe I'll get Spring Stampede up by the end of it, but who knows with how I've been going lately, and judging to drain my soul. This show is where I've tried to start dialing it back a bit with the matches.

WCW Thursday Thunder
    Richmond, Virginia
    April 1, 1999

It’s the second best wrestling show on Thursday nights, Chris Benoit is the NEW World Heavyweight Champion, and Hollywood Hogan is going to be in action tonight! Oh, it’s what day?? APRIL FOOL’S~! This is Thunder of TBS: The SuperStation, it is 8:05PM EST… and this is the number one rated Thursday show in professional wrestling! Tony Schiavone, Bobby ‘The Brain’ Heenan, and especially ‘The Professor’ Mike Tenay are going to call all of the wrestling action, and well, they have a show for you! Just three nights after being SCREWED out of winning the World Heavyweight Championship by Kevin Nash, ‘The Crippler’ Chris Benoit will be in our featured bout as he teams with ‘The Ice Man’ Dean Malenko to take on Buff ‘The Stuff’ Bagwell and ‘The Total Package’ Lex Luger! ‘Big Poppa Pump’ Scott Steiner will be in action too because he’s going out for revenge against the man who had a chance(?) to join the nWo last week, Wrath! Plus, we’re going to hear from Diamond Dallas Page, Goldberg is in action and he’s in a foul mood after Nitro, and while Hollywood Hogan is not in the building after retaining the World Title on Nitro, the man who made it happen - Kevin Nash - is here tonight, and he’s going to have a live mic! But FIRST!

Billy Kidman, Blitzkrieg, Chavo Guerrero Jr, & Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. El Dandy, Evan Karagias, Hector Garza (w/Dawn Marie), & Psychosis

The cruiserweights! It’s a big surprise they’re starting the show, I know. There’s some tension pre-match between the Cruiserweight Champion and Psychosis, Tenay reminding us how The Rudo walked out on his fellow Luchadore on Monday Nitro against Kidman and Blitz. El Dandy’s not looking like a huge fan to be paired up on the heel side tonight either, while Evan Karagias just looks happy to be on TV yet again. Kidman is the common link for his team in this match, having been boys with Mysterio when Rey was a regular in the CW division, while now he’s been boys with Blitzkrieg. While that’s some of the story here, the match itself is exactly what you would expect it to be: a straight out Lucha sprint spot fest. There’s a lot of quick counters, springboard and slingshot based attacks, and death def(l)ying flips throughout this one. It should come as no surprise either that Blitzkrieg decides to be the best highlight reel when he goes with a Slingshot to the third rope, springboards and spins in the air, lands back on the third rope facing the other way… and then lands the ASAI MOONSAULT to the outside!

While the action is super fast throughout the contest, hardly ever slowing down, it is actually the face team who gets more of the offense. With Karagias a rookie, and neither one of Hulk de Increible or Psychosis wanting to team with Garza much, it throws the team off balance. It also means that The Rudo is prone to taking a fair amount of offense during the contest as well, all four of the faces getting their shots in on Garza. Even though Mysterio and Chavo have little in the way of history with Garza, they enjoy getting their licks in on a Champion, Mysterio getting a near fall with his MysterioRana where he lands on Garza’s shoulders, and then twists to hit the Hurricanrana. Guerrero goes for the combo, driving The Rudo out of the corner with a Monkey Flip and then immediately snatching him up to hit a Saito Suplex.

Despite taking a fair amount of offense in the match, Garza turns the tides with a Tilt-A-Whirl Backbreaker to Blitzkrieg, and makes a tag to Karagias later on in the contest. However, Garza can’t help but give Psychosis and El Dandy stick for not doing more to help him when the opposition was doing a number on him. The argument shifts the focus to the heel corner instead of the action between Chavo and Karagias, with Garza fiery shouting in Spanish at the two Luchadores… until Dandy has enough of it! Hulk de Increible uses his strength to work the rope to surprise the Cruiserweight Champion and flip him into the ring! With the two legal men still fighting, Dandy then drills Garza from the apron with a hard right hand, and Psychosis gets into the ring to plant The Rudo with a Sitout Gourdbuster!

Having had more than enough of Garza, and Karagias and Chavo even stopping their battle to watch the action, Dandy and Psychosis motion to Karagias to tag Garza back into the match… and force him to get some further comeuppance! Afraid of getting a beat down like Garza just recieved, Karagias does tag in Garza… and Dandy and Psychosis walk out on the match! While Dawn Marie shrieks in rage at the pair, and Karagias as well for being too timid to do anything but stand on the apron, it means Garza’s night is about to get worse. And it does. Chavo spikes him with a leaping Tornado DDT, Kidman lands the Rydeen Bomb, Mysterio a Springboard Leg Drop, and the masked rookie gets to cap it all off with a fun exclamation point - in the form of the PHOENIX SPLASH! And not only that, but with Karagias still showing no interest in helping out his partner and Dawn Marie still shrieking a God-awful scream, young Blitzkrieg pins the Cruiserweight Champion!

Winners: Blitzkrieg, Billy Kidman, Chavo Guerrero Jr, & Rey Mysterio Jr. at 12:11

Karagias just sheepishly retreats to the back after the match, not making any eye contact with the screaming Dawn Marie, while the faces all celebrate the victory. Tenay carries the bulk of the commentary here - because cruiserweights - talking up how Hector Garza has been claiming for the past two months to be the greatest cruiserweight around, and his arrogance has cost him here! El Dandy and Garza have had several battles so there’s no love lost there, and after The Rudo walked out on Psychosis in their match on Nitro, a receipt was served tonight! The crew do put over Blitzkrieg’s pinfall victory over Garza as well, and spin it into how Garza’s arrogance is making him any enemies in the Cruiserweight Division. “He may have the love and affection of the beautiful Dawn Marie, but at this rate, he’s not going to have the gold much longer!” - Mike Tenay.

It is after the first match that the opening video and music for Thunder airs, and we then shift back over to the three man booth to again put over the key points for tonight. A featured bout of the Four Horsemen taking on Buff Bagwell and Lex Luger; Scott Steiner clashing with fellow big man machine Wrath; Goldberg in action; and after costing Chris Benoit the World Heavyweight Title on Nitro against Hollywood Hogan, ‘Big Sexy’ Kevin Nash is here in Richmond! But up next, let’s shift things to the ring where ‘Mean’ Gene Okerlund is standing by!

All In

You always have to have at least one interview segment with Mean Gene in the ring, and before he gets to it, he talks up the past two main events of Nitro - DDP winning the Four Corners Number One Contenders Match and Hollywood Hogan retaining the World Heavyweight Title over Chris Benoit, meaning we now know our Spring Stampede main event in ten days time: it’s Champion versus Champion, Hollywood Hogan defending against this man, Diamond Dallas Page! “Self High Five” brings out the reigning United States Champion, as usual through the cheering crowd. The Richmond crowd absolutely loves Page, and he has no problem playing it up to them during his entrance and once in the ring, flashing up the Diamond Cutter symbol from the second turnbuckle.

With the gum chewing Page wrapping an arm around Mean Gene’s shoulders, Okerlund goes into overdrive to start hyping up DDP versus Hogan for the PPV… and Page is more than happy to get in on the hard sell. “I was rootin’ for Benoit on Nitro, Mean Gene. GOOD GAAAWD did I want to see The Crippl’ah win the World Heavyweight Title; it’s why I was out there ta’ fight off that nWo SCUM when things got dicey. Benoit, ya’ got done wrong by that greasy jag-off Nash, but know that when I make Hogan feel the Bang at Spring Stampede… mah first defense is gonna be against you, pal!” After Okerlund questions him more, Page does admit though that he selfishly is glad that he’s getting to face Hogan on the PPV. “Oooh Mean Gene, there ain’t no one whose got more SCUM in their veins than Hogan. Havin’ that jabroni walk around with The Belt that symbolizes bein’ the flagship of this company? All while doin’ everything he can to kill WCW!? That’s somethin’ that’s fixin’ to change, and you’re lookin’ at THE FACE whose gonna bring it!”

Mean Gene talks about the history of Page fighting against the nWo, as well as the two celebrity tag team matches Page had last summer against Hogan - teaming with Karl Malone against Hogan & Dennis Rodman, and then with Jay Leno against Hogan & Bischoff - but now at Spring Stampede he will get his one-on-one title match against Hogan, “and you could leave Tacoma, Washington as a double Champion!” Page corrects Okerlund by saying he will be a triple Champion, adding that he’s the People’s Champion as well. “It’s funny you say triple champion, Page… because Spring Stampede should have THREE Champions facing off in that main event, daddie-o!”

There’s an increase in noise from the Richmond crowd as Okerlund’s interview is getting interrupted… by the man making waves in professional wrestling lately, Chris Jericho! His hair not looking ridiculous anymore but just straight down, Jericho is walking out from the back, down the aisle, mic in hand. As Okerlund lets out a typical, “now wait just a minute, young man! This isn’t your interview!”, Jericho is still ready to talk. “You’re absolutely right that this isn’t my interview, Mean Gene, but my days of standing by and letting everyone get their turn is done, baby! DDP, you’ve had plenty of time, and we both know you’re gonna keep getting more of it too because of who you are, and what you do in that ring. But Chris Jericho?? I don’t think so.”

It’s safe to say the US Champion isn’t looking too thrilled at the interruption by the TV Champ, but he’s at least not looking like he’s ready to throw down or anything like that. Instead, he even makes it clear he’s cool with Jericho joining him in the ring, perhaps accepting it was going to happen anyways. “I’m sure you heard the little gauntlet I laid down on Nitro, Page, but in case you somehow weren’t like the several million people around the world who pay attention when Chris Jericho talks now, allow me to reiterate. Spring Stampede, it’s World Heavyweight Champion versus United States Champ; Champion versus Champion. But if Ric Flair and WCW are gonna make such a marquee match, I think it’s only fitting that the man who defends the TV Title anywhere in the USA, the great country of Canada, or anywhere else around the world… should be in the match too! While it’s no surprise that somehow my challenge has gone without any sort of answer from Ric Flair, JJ Dillon, or the Championship Committee… I’m comin’ right to you, Page! I’m done playing nice; I’m rockin’ the boat, daddie-o!”

It’s absolutely true that Jericho has been creative shockwaves in pro wrestling the last few weeks - on camera, in the ratings, on the internet - and it is definitely why there is a pop at Jericho’s words. Page even smiles at Jericho being so brash. Still trying to moderate despite the interruption, Mean Gene asks DDP what he has to say to that. “Listen here, kid. I’m all for a guy wantin’ ta’ buck the system, not take no for an answer. You’re lookin’ at a guy who din’t take no for an answer! If DDP took no for an answ’ah, I wouldn’t be standin’ here right now. Heck, I wouldn’t even be a wrestl’ah! So Jericho, I get you’re tired of bein’ on the sidelines, havin’ ta’ act like a goof just ta’ get that mug on the camera. But you bett’ah recognize somethin’: ya’ mouth is writing checks that your ass ain’t gonna be able to cash with all this wreckless talkin’ you’re doing!”

That gets a sneer from Jericho in response at DDP verbally stepping to him, which draws a smirk from Page. “Get used to it, kid! You wanna start steppin’ up to the big dogs, then you’re gonna find out that we all bark back a whole lot too. But hell, I like this brash bark you got goin’ on. You wanna go big or go home, right? Ready ta’ go all out?” Jericho raises his eyebrows like what Page is saying is obvious, and nods his head. DDP grins in delight. “Good, that’s what I was goin’ for. If you’re gonna go big or go home, then let’s go big, pup! I’m all for that gauntlet you laid out… if you earn it.

That gets the interest of both Jericho and Mean Gene, both men wanting to know exactly what the US Champ means. “You can talk this big game about makin’ Spring Stampede Champ versus Champ… versus Champ… but let’s not forget somethin’ here, kid: I earned mah match against Hogan! I’ve beaten darn near EVERYONE in WCW! I pinned Nash last week, I earned this match… so if you want in, earn it, jabroni! I know Flair ain’t gonna approve this match ta’night - heck, he might even laugh in our faces with how you’ve been actin’! - but I say we leave this ring, go talk to the boss… and have Chris Jericho versus D-D-P… next week on Monday Nitro! If you can beat the King of Badda Bing… then in mah opinion, you’ll have earned your way in!”

Of course the challenge gets a cheer from the crowd, and Okerlund is all about getting an answer to it. “Now that is some challenge by Diamond Dallas Page! He’s been a fighting United States Champion, and now he’s fighting to give you, Chris Jericho, the chance to make it a triple threat match at Spring Stampede for the World Heavyweight Title! I think what we need to do is take this party back to President Flair’s office, and see just what he thinks about DDP’s challenge! You’ve talked a big game, Chris Jericho, you’re rocking the boat… and now you just might get your wish!” Okerlund’s closing words there sign off the interview segment as Thunder fades to a break, Jericho and Page staring one another down, Schiavone shouting, wanting to know what President Flair will have to say about this “groundbreaking challenge.”

When Thunder does return, we get a short clip of the action in President Ric Flair’s office, although we don’t get to hear any of the dialogue. However, Flair is clearly listening to Chris Jericho and Diamond Dallas Page present the challenge, Gene Okerlund, the Four Horsemen, and Torrie Wilson all present for it. What’s the answer from Flair? Guess we’re finding out later!

The action then switches to the ring where Stevie Ray is already in the ring - not wearing the black and white singlet associated with his nWo days, but not in the red fire of Harlem Heat either, awkwardly in a silver singlet - for a singles match. Van Hammer gets an actual entrance next, walking out from the back in his ripped jeans and tye dye tank top, carrying his flower. We all know he’s got no intention of actually competing… although tonight it’s because he gets jumped from behind! Raven absolutely blindsides Hammer in the aisle, Kanyon and Idol joining in on the attack as well! The three men put the boots to Hammer, Tenay exclaiming, “This must be because Raven blames Hammer for ending up in that match against Hak on Nitro! Hak took Hammer’s place, and Raven got his butt kicked because of it!”

He’s a pacifist by nature anymore so Hammer probably wouldn’t have done much in a fight here anyways, but the three men make mincemeat out of Van Hammer, Raven capping the attack off with a Russian Leg Sweep into the guardrail! However, any ideas of Raven and co leaving there are interrupted by Stevie Ray on a mic in the ring. “You couple a’ Fruit Booties wanna come out here n’ throw down, right!? Well I’m in this ring, sucka! You took out mah opponent, so one of you Fruit Booties oughta get yo’ punk behind in ‘dis ring right now, n’ lets knuckle!” Probably because Fruit Booty is obviously the worst thing one man can ever be called, Raven shares a look with Idol and Kanyon… and he starts walking to the ring! He’s accepting!

Raven (w/Beulah, Idol, & Kanyon) vs. Stevie Ray

Schiavone is certainly surprised to see Raven show such bravery to walk into this match against Stevie Ray, but The Brain is always on point. “Are you kidding me? When was the last time you saw Stevie Ray win a match, Schee-A-Vone? Stevie Ray’s lost so many times he even got kicked out of the B-team! Raven’s got the momentum, he’s got the help outside, he’s got the girl, and he’s got the money! All Stevie Ray has is a bunch of losses and a gap in between his teeth!” Damn Brain, tell us how you really feel. One thing he didn’t include though is that the former Harlem Heat certainly has had some, ahem, fire, returned to his game, showing plenty of aggression during the contest. Stevie Ray keeps it even with the surprised Raven as a result, the trust fund kid struggling to come to grasp with the fists of fury from Stevie Ray.

Even though Raven could have help from from either one of Kanyon or Idol if the match looked in danger of being lost, it is The Cubpack who play the pivotal role in the contest’s end. Disco Inferno and Norman Smiley have had plenty of issues with Stevie Ray, some would even attribute Stevie Ray being canned from the B-Team because of them, and the loud mouthed Disco has no problem catching Stevie Ray’s attention when he shows up at ringside, banging on the apron and shouting condescending insults at him. The obnoxious Disco succeeds in taking Stevie’s focus off the match, so that when he finally turns back to Raven, it’s right into a Drop Toe Hold… into the second turnbuckle! That turns the tide fully in Raven’s favor, and from there, it’s only a matter of moments until the Evenflow DDT finishes Stevie off, condemning him to yet another defeat, despite his best efforts here tonight.

Winner: Raven at 5:21

Smiley and Disco are right into the ring to stand over the fallen Stevie Ray and mock him for yet another loss, while Raven has his hand raised in victory by his lovely girlfriend, Beulah. A man who always enjoys watching others get hurt, Raven smirks and hoists himself up onto the top turnbuckle, placing Beulah in between his legs, and watches on as Smiley and Disco add insult to injury by laying the boots to Stevie Ray. And if that’s not enough, Raven motions to Kanyon and Idol to join in! It’s a 4-on-1 attack on the guy who just cannot ever catch a break it seems…

...but help is on the way! Perry Saturn & Hak come sprinting out from the back, both men wielding Singapore Canes! Whether it’s to help Stevie Ray or just to get a chance at Raven and his goons, it doesn’t matter for the two extremists. Raven sees it coming early, and he and Beulah escape quickly from the action. Kanyon and Disco are able to get out just in the nick of time, but the same cannot be said for Norman Smiley and Idol - Saturn cracks Smiley across the back with the Cane, and poor Idol takes it right over the skull! Saturn gets two more shots with the Singapore Cane to the back of Smiley before the Brit falls through the ropes to the outside, Disco hoisting his partner up to his feet and away to safety. Idol is pulled to safety by Kanyon after the overhead strike drops him into wonderland, Raven’s group also scurrying up the aisle and away from the danger of the Hak and Saturn. The Gargoyle eventually help Stevie up to his feet the rest of the way, showing some cookie cutter good guy attributes at least, but Hak only has eyes for Raven, shouting all the threats at his rival to come back for more…

The Following Announcement Has Been Paid For

It’s the standard black and white nWo vignette, but there are only three men being featured tonight - Buff Bagwell, Lex Luger, and Scott Steiner. It’s the same vibe as normal though, the “Rockhouse” theme playing low in the background, the balck and white tint to the screen, and a whole lot of jump cuts going on. Big Poppa Pump is the first man up to be featured tonight. “Another night of action, another night of ass kickin’ for Big Poppa Pump! I want you to know somethin’, Wrath; don’t think for a second that last week the n-Dubya-o actually wanted your punk ass to join us! You must have known it since you didn’t take the offer, so congratulations for not actin’ as stupid you look! No matter what though, you made a big mistake in sidin’ with that piece a’ trailer trash DDP, so now you got yourself in Big Poppa Pump’s crosshairs!”

There’s a fun jump cut of Steiner flexing his massive bicep and kissing the tip of it, and Bagwell touching the muscle and acting like it’s so hot it’s burnt his hand. “So what I’m gonna do ta’night is choke you out like the lil’ BITCH I know you ta’ be, Wrath! ‘Cause I’m Big Poppa Pump, and you’re nothin’ but a chump! I choke bitches out, ‘cause I’m the one with the clout! It doesn’t matter if you’re a mullet-wearing idiot like you Wrath, my favorite punchin’ bag Stevie Ray - oh yeah I ain’t forget about you yet eith’ah! - or even you, Dick Flair! There ain’t nothin’ finer, than Scott Steiner! So after I choke you out, Wrath, I want all my freaks in Richmond, Virginia to know… if you’re lookin’ to hump, look no further… than Big Poppa Pump!”

More posing of the massive arms by Steiner, and a jump cut to the focus being on Buffy Bagwell. “Oh WAAAHHH! WAAAHHH! All I’m hearin’ is a lot of crying go around here lately! Whether it’s Chris Benoit cryin’ about getting his face smashed in by Kevin Nash on Monday, or Dean Malenko crying ‘cause he’s just too short… or now you got guys like Chris Jericho cryin’ and demanding all the attention be on them. Well I got news for all of you - Buff Bagwell is the one with all The Stuff… that the girls can’t get enough! That’s why Buff Daddy gets all the attention ‘round these parts, not any of your crybabies! You boys better watch yourselves, ‘cause if you talk bad on mah Lord and Savior, Hollywood Hogan… then Buff Daddy will make you pay for the sin! So stop your cryin’, oh I ain’t lyin’, ‘cause Buff Bagwell is the truth!”

Another jump cut after Bagwell does ridiculous poses and faces, but when the cut goes to The Total Package, all of the pomp and circumstance is completely gone. “There’s a lot of reason to be happy and celebratin’ for, but forgive me for not being in the partying mood. Everywhere I turn now, I have to hear people whispering the loudest lie: I fear Sting. Let’s set the record straight: I fear no man! Especially Sting!”

Jump cut of Luger glaring right into the camera to look intimidating. “You can talk a whole new talk about no more Mr. Nice Guy, and you can point that bat all you want… but I’m not buying it, Stinger! You’re still the same guy I’ve always known you to be. Gullible! All talk! Weak. I could’ve ended your career ten times over by now, Stinger… but out of the goodness of my heart, I’ve let you last - until now! Spring Stampede! I want you, Stinger. In the ring, one-on-one… and not only am I gonna put the lies to rest, I’m gonna put your career to rest too.” The vignette then ends with Luger still giving the camera a death glare, all fired up about his rivalry with his former long-time best friend…

NON-TITLE: Divine Lineage © (w/Bobby Duncum Jr.) vs. Ice Ice Iceberg

Perhaps spurred on by the fact that this match is only a non-title match, the World Tag Team Champions are extremely cocky and nonchalant as the match gets underway, Hennig especially having fun by mocking the “Ice Ice Baby” theme and entrance that Glacier and Ice Train came out to beforehand. That lackadaisical approach by Hennig comes back to bite him right away though because the 320 pound Ice Train beats the hell out of the second generation talent, capping it off with the All Aboard - his version of a Running Avalanche in the corner! It’s an absolute embarrassment for Hennig, just barely getting a shoulder up on the ensuing pin, Ice Train almost winning the match for his team inside sixty seconds.

Windham is able to slow the pace down for the Champions and help to get the momentum in their corner, but the still new team are persistent, working well as a unit to stay in the match. Glacier finds himself isolated still in the middle of the match, at least until the Sub Zero wannabe fights his way out of a seated Chinlock from Hennig, fires off the ropes after Hennig shoves him, and takes him down with a Leaping Shoulderblock. With a big head of steam, Ice Train gets the hot tag and goes on a tear, scoring a series of knockdowns on Windham, the best coming by showing his impressive agility with a Standing Dropkick!

The action ends up breaking down when Hennig blindsides Ice Train as he runs off the rope looking for his big Running Splash, bringing Glacier into the contest as well. Glacier ends up sending both him and Hennig to the outside with a Running Clothesline, while Windham looks to take advantage of Hennig’s cheap shot - BIG BOOT is caught by Train! The 320 pounder spins Windham around into a waist lock, runs him into the ropes - and rolls him up with an O’Connor Roll… and nicks the win! It’s a combination of underrated agility and 300-plus pounds of pressure pinning Windham to the mat, and he kicks out a second too late! What an upset!

Winners: Ice Ice Iceberg at 5:54

It’s by far the biggest win in the career of Ice Train - as a team or as a singles man - but he has no time to celebrate it… BIG BOOT by Bobby Duncum Jr nearly beheads Ice Train! The rookie cowboy didn’t get involved in the finish of the match, probably because he never saw it coming, but he’s making himself known now! Duncum mounts Ice Train and pummels him with a flurry of right hands, and while Glacier tries to get into the ring to help his partner… Hennig pulls his foot out from underneath him, and smacks face first off the apron! Windham joins Hennig on the outside to double team Glacier, and the Champs use their combined efforts to whip Glacier - face first into the ring post! In the ring, Duncum yanks Ice Train back up to his feet to bring an exclamation point to his beatdown, and that he does - Full Nelson Front Slam!

The finishing maneuver from Duncum caps off his cheap attack on Ice Train, and despite scoring the monumental upset on Divine Lineage, the victors are left looking very much not the part! Schiavone naturally condemns Divine Lineage for being poor losers and having no class at all, furious that they have ruined what has been the biggest win in either man’s career! While Hennig and Windham grab their belts as they leave the ringside area, Mike Tenay makes a point as he says, “Divine Lineage clearly underestimated the fun loving Glacier and Ice Train tonight, Tony. And if they do that again after what we just witnessed, we’re going to have new World Tag Team Champions!” You’re God damn right I’m not afraid to push 1999 Big E and a Rip Off Sub Zero makeshift team that come out a Vanilla Ice song, bay-BEE!!!

Big Sexy, Big Role

Since the start of the broadcast, the talking heads have promoted the fact that Kevin Nash would be appearing to speak about his actions from Monday Nitro when, despite having yet another explosive argument with Hollywood Hogan, the 7-footer plastered Chris Benoit with the World Title Belt to hand his nWo-ite the victory. Well, “Wolfpac” has hit the sound system, and that means if the Militia rip-off is playing, Big Sexy is on his way out. Dressed in jeans and a Wolfpac hockey jersey, Nash makes his way out to the ring solo, with Hogan taking the night off (and The Disciple as a result), Eric Bischoff probably with him, the rest of the group preparing for their night, and Scott Hall… well, you can come to your own conclusions why Hall would not be on a show he was advertised for. *Hint* the answer includes his last name as the last syllable for the reason.

There is always a portion of the crowd that will cheer Nash for the many cool heel trademarks of his, and that section of the crowd is a little louder than usual tonight since he is on his own, although there are a lot of boos as well for Big Sexy. Leaning on the top rope in his nonchalant way of his, Nash gets things started. “You know… usually me and the Medium Sized Mang would start this shiznit off with a survey… but Scotty’s got some other stuff to attend to tonight, and it kind of works out, ‘cause I’m not actually been in the partyin’ mood lately myself.” Nash runs his hand through his hair to flick his long mane back over his head, and stares out into the crowd to milk his camera time. “I’ll be the first guy to admit, that 1999? It ain’t been too kind to Kevin Nash. I’ve had Goldberg kick my ass not once, but twice… although I’m wearing a hockey jersey on tonight, so Goldie Boy may not wanna try me tonight, huh Hitman? Scotty n’ me? Dropped the ball at winning the Tag Titles. Tried and failed at Spring Breakout to be the Number One Contender. You name it, I failed it.”

Contorting his face and biting on his tongue, Nash scowls at it all. “Now I know all you people were hoping to see my frustrations boil over this past Monday night by clockin’ ol’ Hollywood right in between the eyes with the Title. Hell, I even kind of foreshadowed it a bit on Monday, didn’t I!? But the thing each and every one of you need to recognize real quick… is that I’m a pretty smart guy. I don’t bite the hand that feeds me, and I certainly don’t bite the hand that signs my checks. Ric Flair may be the guy in charge of the ‘Dubya-See-Dubya’... but I know where the money is. It ain’t with Old Man Flair pretending he’s Slick Willie in the Oral Office; it’s with Eric Bischoff and the n-Dubya-o. ‘Cause let’s be honest for just a second, Virginia: I ain’t a Dubya-See-Dubya guy. Never have been, never will be. You think I would’ve been welcomed with open arms by the Four Horsemen if I handed Chris Benoit the strap on Nitro? While I hear they’re still lookin’ for a new Enforcer, and I’ve been told I do a pretty good Arn Anderson impersonation… somehow I don’t think I’m what Slick Ric is looking for.”

For the fans who pick up on the reference of when Nash impersonated Double A right after Arn retired, it gets big boos, especially since it was a pretty tasteless impersonation by Nash. “I’ll be the first one to admit that Hogan? We ain’t friends. I tolerate Hollywood, and even that ain’t somethin’ I can do some nights. But you know what Hogan and I do have in common? Power. Money. Greed. And one other key attribute, and this is a bit of a big one: we both share the common goal of seein’ Dubya-See-Dubya run completely by the n-Dubya-o. It’s why we got the band back together! Me and Hogan breaking up and having the two nWo sides go to war? That wasn’t achieving the goal, now was it? All that did was let Ric Flair actually be important for the first time in five years and get some stroke back. And I din’t sign on the dotted line with Eric three years ago to live in Ric Flair’s company. I came here to live in my company! I came here to be my own boss, and trust me when I say… I’ve had a taste of it already here, and I’m looking to have that permanently.”

That is absolutely a veiled comment about his time as being the booker at the tail end of last year, but it’s (thankfully) not an obvious one. “So for anyone who was waiting for Kevin Nash to come out here and give a big, ‘gotcha!’ moment and swerve ya’ to say Hogan and I are really best friends, and we tricked Ric Flair and the Horsemen all over again? Shucksdeedoodle for you, kid. And if you’re somehow expecting Kevin Nash to show up and reveal this big personal vendetta against Chris Benoit, perhaps blaming his win against The Outsiders back in the Tag Tournament as the start of my downfall? Well then you can really think again, because I don’t sweat you, Benoit. Not for a second, Crippl’ah. You could’ve been any other maple syrup wonderboy in that ring on Monday as far as I’m concerned, ‘cause at the end of the night, I know what’s best for business: it’s the New World Order keeping a stranglehold on the World Heavyweight Title Belt.

There’s more of an empathic delivery from Nash with that, and it even gets him to stop leaning on the ropes and stand up straight, looking right into the camera now. “Naitcha Boy… I LOVE knowing how much we pissed you off when Hollywood and I made a mockery of the tradition of your precious World Title back in January. We pissed all over your tradition, and it drives you crazy. But we’re not stupid. We know how much that belt means to you and this company. We got the gold? We still got the power. So it doesn’t matter if it’s Benoit on a Nitro… Diamond Dallas Page at Spring Stampede… of even if you try to be the hero and win the gold, Flair… Kevin Nash knows what’s best for business. Kevin Nash knows where the money is, and Kevin Nash knows what the end game is. I’m making sure the World Title stays with The Elite of this sport.”

Nash looks to get ready to leave at that, walking towards the ropes, only to turn back into the ring. “But since I know I love to walk away with a buzz, let me just stoke the flames this one little bit though. Hogan?? I made sure you left Canada as Champion, and understanding that I know the score. But I just wanna make sure you know too that while Big Sexy’s gonna make sure that nobody from Dubya-See-Dubya takes that gold off your waist… it doesn’t mean that I still won’t take it from ya’ either, Cueball! As long as the World Title’s in the hands of The Elite, and the n-Dubya-o is takin’ over this company and making it ours… then Mission Accomplished.” There’s a cocky wink into the camera from Nash at that, sending a clear and obvious message/threat to The God before the Wolfpac rap hits. It means Nash is climbing over the rope and making his exit, and Thunder is also cutting to a break - but stay tuned because when we come back on The SuperStation, Schiavone and co. will break down Nash’s promo, and Big Poppa Pump takes on Wrath!

Schiavone, Tenay, and Heenan indeed are talking about Nash’s promo when the broadcast returns, with it coming as no surprise that Schiavone and Tenay want to blast Big Sexy as nothing more than a heartless mercenary who cares about only two things: his bank account and his ego. Heenan, while not pro-nWo but not a WCW ass kisser, is right to point out that Nash does have a point though: with Ric Flair holding the power as President of WCW, it’s never been more imperative to the nWo’s mission of taking over the company as their own to maintain possession of the World Heavyweight Championship. The talking heads bicker and argue from there until the great music fees allows “Runnin’ With The Devil” to bring out the 6’7” 300lb Freak of Nature, Wrath!

Scott Steiner (w/Buff Bagwell) vs. Wrath

Even though The Stuff is in action in tonight’s featured bout, you can almost always count on the nWo to come out in numbers, especially when the opponent is a guy like Wrath, one of the few men in World Championship Wrestling who can match up in size with the massive Big Poppa Pump. The crowd is honestly red hot for this contest; this could legitimately be on PPV instead of Thunder with the noise they’re making. It means that this match features a lot of jaw jacking from both men, a lot of lock ups and test of strengths, and not too much in the way of going all out with the action in case they do save this for a more marquee event than a lowly Thunder.

While there is a lot of stalling and crowd play during this, there is still more than enough time for these guys to get some of their key moments in. Steiner makes sure to taunt Wrath like only he can with push ups after taking him to the canvas with a Scoop Slam, and you just know ya’ boy has time to hit the Elbow Drop after flexing and kissing the roided tip. Wrath can match Steiner with strength though, getting a HUGE reaction from the crowd - and Steiner and Bagwell - when he hoists Big Poppa Up into the air… scoring with a GORILLA PRESS SLAM! The one added benefit that Wrath has over Steiner is his incredible agility as well, and it puts him on the verge a potential huge victory when he leaps from the apron - SLINGSHOT SPINNING BACK ELBOW STRIKE! Wrath is smartly right into the cover as well, but Steiner kicks out at two!!

Having stared defeat right in the face, Scott Steiner isn’t afraid to do whatever it takes to turn the tides of the contest. Wrath tries to land a big impact move with the Death Penalty, his version of a Urinage. Big Poppa Pump though gouges the big man’s eyes to prevent it, blinding Wrath… and the Pennsylvania native inadvertently strikes referee Scott Dickinson because of it! He doesn’t get all of the referee, but the ref bump does the damage… and allows Buff Daddy to play a pivotal role in the end. Knowing Dickinson is down, Bagwell reacts quick, grabbing a steel chair while Steiner and Wrath slug it out. The Freak of Nature staggers Steiner with a hard right and hits the ropes for his Pump Kick - but Bagwell WHACKS him across the back with the chair when he does! It sends the big man staggering right into the waiting arms of Steiner - and he lands his SPINNING BELLY-TO-BELLY SUPLEX!

Thinking that won’t be enough to put the big man down though, Steiner has Bagwell slide the chair into the ring, and with Dickinson still down, Big Poppa Pump capitalizes - lining Wrath up and delivering the STEEL CHAIR SHOT! That is the killer blow as the chair dents around Wrath’s cranium. The chair gets disposed of by Steiner as Bagwell helps to revive the official, and Steiner steals the victory, despite a very impressive effort by Wrath during the contest.

Winner: Scott Steiner at 6:26

You just know Steiner acts like he won the match all on his own and without any kind of help from Bagwell or the steel chair, gloating and posing after hurrying Dickinson to raise his arm in triumph. Big Poppa Pump smirks and laughs his way up the aisle with Bagwell from there as Wrath starts recovering from the chair shot(s). Schiavone is furious on commentary, adamant that if it wasn’t for Steiner downright cheating to win this match, Wrath was on his way to scoring the biggest victory of his career!

Coked Up Pissed Off Flair

The commentators complaining about the New World Order cheating and scheming is perfect because up next, we’re backstage in the Presidential Office of ‘The Nature Boy’ Ric Flair! He’s still got Arn Anderson and Torrie Wilson on either side of his desk, the two competing to see who can look at Flair with more affection than the other. However, dressed and ready for combat are also Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko, and The Nature Boy is focused on his two Horsemen for this one. “Havin’ to watch Kevin Nash stand in that ring - MY RING! - and spew all that BULLCRAP… OOOOO mah blood is boilin’, boys! Kevin Nash… he’s the reason you’re not CHAMPION, Benoit! CHAM-PEE-WOOOO!-YUN! You should have that Belt I made famous, Crippler! NASH HAS GOT TO PAY! HOOOGAN’S GOT TO PAY! They ALL gotta pay, and it STARTS… TO-NIGHT!”

Flair is red in the face. He was already fired up about Nitro to begin with, but then Nash’s promo fired him up even more. Torrie and Arn continue their silent competition, each putting a hand on the shoulder of Flair closest to them. Benoit and Malenko both crack their necks and rub their wrists, preparing for war in the tag team match. Wanting to keep taking more of a focus, Benoit actually speaks next. “Nash can say all he wants Monday wasn’t personal for him… but he made it personal for me! Nitro was MY SHOT! My moment! And that seven-foot jackass took it away from me! So Ric, we’ll get payback! Dean and I are gonna get ours tonight, but that’s not enough! Not this time! Nash took my moment; I take his arm! You book the matches ‘round here now, so give me Nash at Spring Stampede!”

Flair is already WOOing up a storm and shouting at Benoit that he’s got the match, but surprisingly, Dean Malenko wants to vanilla it up more. “Not so fast, Naitch. We already say what happened on Monday, Chris. nWo has numbers. You go against Nash at the pay per view? And Scott Hall’s gonna be right there to recreate Nitro. I say, we beat them together before… and we’ll do it again, at Spring Stampede.” Malenko gives his icy glare of silent confidence in what he’s saying, and all it takes is one look between the two best friends for Benoit to nod his head in agreement for the match. That’s all that Flair needs, telling them they’re on - Spring Stampede, it’s Outsiders vs. Horsemen! The Enforcer then leads Benoit and Malenko out to finish the prep for the featured bout tonight, especially with them more fired up than ever now after this segment. It leaves just Flair alone with his intern, and the blonde uses it to massage both shoulders instead of one. “You know, boss, while I do like to see you get so… passionate... you do have to make sure you loosen up. But then again, isn’t that why you have me?” A chuckling Flair says nothing in response, instead just grinning as his intern works his shoulders over…

When the action cuts back to the commentators, Schiavone shills the new marquee match made for Spring Stampede by President Flair, and then adds that President Flair has also sent word to him through his headset that he HAS made a decision regarding Chris Jericho and Diamond Dallas Page - next week on Monday Nitro, the Television and United States Champions will collide! If Chris Jericho beats DDP, Spring Stampede’s World Heavyweight Title match will become a triple threat match! Schiavone and Tenay both plug the huge match made by President Flair, with Tony adding that he’s hoping somewhere, wherever Hogan is vacationing at this week, he will be fuming when he hears that he may have to defend the World Title against against not one, but two men! However, the focus completely shifts to the backstage for a moment - Head of Security Doug Dillinger is by the door of Goldberg. It’s time! Hit “Invasion” and let’s get ready for El Squasho~!

Goldberg vs. Hugh Morrus

Let’s be honest here. Goldberg is Da Man, and he’s pissed off like a motherfucker after Bret Hart played him like a hockey puck, tricking him into giving himself a concussion on Nitro. Despite the ‘concussion’ he received, he’s wrestling tonight and in no mood for anything other than destroying Morrus. It’s why there’s some combination strikes, a few shoulder blocks, Savate Kick, Gorilla Press Powerslam, and then… you know. Spear. Jackhammer. Splat. Thanks for coming, Hugh, hope you had a laugh along the way.

Winner: Goldberg at 1:47

In true Goldberg fashion, Da Man doesn’t bother with having Randy Anderson raise his hand in victory, just snarling around the ring looking pissed off as ever… and he’s gonna verbalize it! Goldberg’s got a mic from a stagehand, and he walks right up close to the corner camera! “BRET HART~!” There’s a huge pause from Goldberg afterwards as he just glares and snarls into the camera, looking so incredibly irate. “You think you’re pretty smart or somethin’, huh!? You took the COWARD’S WAY OUT on Monday! You’re not smart, you’re a COWARD! You hear me!?” More pausing for more snarling and intimidating. Rawr. “I don’t want you, Hitman! You get that!? I want Hogan! I want my Title back! But you, I know you, Hart! You won’t stop! So you wanna be my LAST DISTRACTION!? Then Spring Stampede… YOU’RE NEXT~! One last long pause for snarling. “And HOGAN~! Win or lose at Spring Stampede… I’m comin’ for you! I’m tired of the distractions! I’m tired of the wait! You’re! Still! LAST!

As Goldberg throws the mic down and walks back up the entrance aisle, it allows the commentary team to talk about the “historic” main event that took place last Monday on Nitro - a match Schiavone literally calls “featuring one of the greatest technical wrestlers today versus the greatest wrestler in history” because well, he’s clearly an apostle for The God. It means it’s time for a video recap of Hogan versus Benoit, getting all the great Hogan clips, and of course the winning end. When the video ends, the commentary team shifts focus to another nWo member, Lex Luger. The team talk about The Total Package sending the challenge out to his longtime friend to a match at Spring Stampede. “Well fans, Sting has heard that challenge… and he’s responded! Our production team just received this!”

The Scorpion, The Crow, The Sting

The pre-recorded vignette airs and while it’s not in full black and white like the nWo, there’s definitely a greyed tint to the screen. While you can’t tell for certain because the shot doesn’t scroll up/down at all, it looks like Sting is in his favorite place - the rafters. It’s a close up shot of The Stinger though, only his face and upper torso visible. “Lex Luger… The Total Package, FLEXY LEXY… the man I called a friend for over a decade! We’ve had our ups and downs, the whole wrestling world knows it ‘cause they’ve seen it! But you’ve reached a new low, Lex. Not only have you sold out your heart and your morals for Eric Bischoff’s money and to kiss Hogan’s BUTT, not only have you lied to everyone… but not you’re lying to yourself.”

The vignette cuts to a shot just a little bit farther out, so you can see more of Sting instead of just his face now, and also what is in his hand - the black baseball bat. “You can tell yourself all you want that you don’t fear this bat, Lex. But you’re lyin’ Lexy! You do fear this bat… and you should… fear this bat. I’ve changed, Lex! The Stinger’s gone through many changes over the years, the whole world has seen the hair and the paint… but you can’t see this change, not yet at least!” Sting uses the bat to slap himself in the chest thrice, and then keeps tapping the top of the bat over his heart, followed by his tapping it to his temple.

“I’ve changed here, Lex! This war against the New World Order… all my time staying silent… watching all the BULLCRAP that has gone on in Dubya-See-Dubya for the last three years… I’m finally thinkin’ like everyone else in this war… and I’m done wearin’ my heart on my sleeve, being played over and over and over and over again by guys like you, Lex. I got a whole ot to say now… and some people ain’t gonna like it! And you’re one ‘em, Lex.” Sting now points the bat straight out, right into the camera.

“Flex all you want, Lex. Flash the muscles, boast that you don’t fear Sting. It’s not gonna matter because come Spring Stampede - oh yes, I accept your challenge! - it’s not just gonna be SHOWTIME anymore, folks! You’re gonna see it first hand, Lex, that it’s time for the bat… to attack. That incredibly early 90s Sting level of cheese finishing line is met with a look of absolute intent from Sting as he points the bat into the camera like a weapon he very much intends to use. He’s said he’s no more Mr. Nice Sting, and at Spring Stampede, he’s going to use that bat to show just how much he means it...

When the vignette returns, you know what it’s time for? Final hype for our featured bout and, you guessed it, main event fireworks!

Buff Bagwell & Lex Luger (w/Elizabeth & Scott Steiner) vs. Four Horsemen (w/Arn Anderson)

It’s made clear what kind of mood The Crippler is in when he starts this match by walking right up to Bagwell as he’s still grinning, posing, and yukking it up… and rocking his shit with a Headbutt! Benoit starts the match with fire and keeps the fire burning from the rip, just pounding the ever loving crap out of Bagwell with massive forearms and side elbow strikes to Buff Daddy’s face and echoing knife edge chops to the chest. His partner is the much more methodical of the pair tonight, mixing in his usual expert technical wrestling holds and submissions when he can on Bagwell, although when The Total Package enters the ring, so stops a lot of the selling from The Wolfpac. Instead, Luger helps to put the nWo in control of the match, using his “world renowned strength” (thanks Tony) to catch Malenko’s Springboard Crossbody attempt, and then show off his impressive and ever improving moveset by sending Malenko flying with a Fall Away Slam!

Because of who he is and who is in this match, Malenko unfortunately is forced to serve as the face in peril in the match, taking the brunt of Bagwell and Luger’s offense, allowing the two big men to not only get in a lot of offense, but also a lot of muscle posing/flexing, and a lot of trash talking in Bagwell’s case. Malenko gets several moments where he creates the space to make the tag, but the nWo always seems to have an answer to make sure Benoit can’t get back into the match. Even the one time Malenko does get the hot tag, referee Mickey Jay misses it, thanks to Big Poppa Pump making his presence known and making sure Jay is dealing with him instead of witnessing it. However, Malenko makes sure no doubt is left in the pivotal tag after somersaulting to his corner and tagging Benoit in one fluid motion after popping himself off of Luger’s shoulders to escape the Fireman’s Carry position.

Primed and ready, Benoit puts the work in on the unsuspecting Luger, using the same strike and move strategy he tried to implement against Hogan on Monday, making it so The Total Package cannot keep up with the hard strikes and quick movements of The Crippler. Bagwell wants to get involved, but Benoit knocks him right back to the outside with a Dropkick and then takes to the air - SUICIDE DIVE drives Buff Daddy into the guardrail! Scott Steiner tries to get involved with the action breaking down, but thanks to quick coaching from Double A, Dean Malenko is on hand to make the save - a PLANCHA from the top turnbuckle sees Malenko crash land on Steiner!

The momentum is purely in the hands of the Four Horsemen, but with Malenko and Bagwell continuing action on the outside of the ring and Scott Steiner out there as well, it allows Mickey Jay to be distracted by the chaos. Benoit keeps his huge momentum going back inside the ring on Luger by again using his speed to miss Lex’s FOREARM SMASH and drop him on his head with a Release German Suplex… but get up right into a BIG BOOT...

...yet again from Kevin Nash! It’s the second time in a week that Big Sexy makes his presence oh so very known to The Crippler, making the run in and capping it off with a Jackknife Powerbomb to boot! Nash makes it out just in time to avoid Mickey Jay turning his attention back to the ring, and with Jay having his eyes on the ring, it also means he misses Steiner adding to the cheating by hitting Malenko with a double sledge from behind so he can’t get back into the ring. It’s all a bust for Benoit as a result because instead of being on the way to a victory here tonight, a recovered Total Package is able to lock on the Torture Rack on Benoit… earning a victory by TKO on The Crippler!

Winners: Buff Bagwell & Lex Luger at 8:12

Despite being the man to make it so The Wolfpac are victorious tonight, Big Sexy doesn’t join the victors in the ring. Instead, the smirking Nash watches his boys from the bottom of the mini entrance ramp at the bottom of the Thunder stage, clearly satisfied with having yet again knocked Chris Benoit down a peg. Arn Anderson can only shake his head in disappointment at seeing his boys take the L tonight, checking on Malenko on the outside of the ring while Benoit eventually rolls out of the ring and joins them, at least avoiding a post match beating and tagging while still recovering from the Jackknife and Torture Rack. The three nWo men all celebrate in the ring alongside Elizabeth as Thunder comers to a close, the commentators doing one part to shame Kevin Nash and the New World Order, and another part to plug next week’s Monday Nitro - it’ll be six days before Spring Stampede, and it’s United States Champion versus Television Champion with a chance of a lifetime for Chris Jericho to book his place in a World Heavyweight Title match at the PPV!

Confirmed Card for Spring Stampede - April 11, 1999
    WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Hollywood Hogan © vs. Diamond Dallas Page
    Grudge Match: Bret Hart vs. Goldberg
    Grudge Match: Chris Benoit vs. Kevin Nash
    Grudge Match: Lex Luger vs. Sting

WCW 99: The Fingerpoke of Doom
    Now Playing in BTB Section!

The Only One.

Status
      Country                    Australia

Sorry for the lateness mate, you know I was so excited for this episode of Nitro. A few thoughts.

I thought the opening was fantastic, the idea of Sting rolling out to open the show when taking on post-mania Raw is a fantastic idea particularly given it is his in-ring return. Sting taking the win is obvious but I like that he didn’t just roll through it in seconds and it had a bit of substance to it.

Well, pulling out all the stops early on aren’t we. Big opener, big sell for the main event and then the nWo front. What even is post-mania Raw?

This whole thing smells a bit fishy to me, I’m really intrigued by the direction Nash is going in. He’s apparently well over Hogan… but is he really? Nash was outstanding here, the 7 footer line was outstanding and even got a rub from the writer �� I want Benoit to win tonight but after this, I just think some shit goes down and he’s no chance.

Tag Match was fair enough. I’m not really interested in Garza, so don’t care that he left. Haha.

Loved the little part with the horsemen. Flair was brilliant. Served its purpose wonderfully.

PLEASE change his fucking name. Just do it. Enjoyed this little interaction though, the way you booked it with Van Hammer was cool. Smart decision in relation to the outcome of the match for mine – you couldn’t have any gone any other way and we will get Raven v HAK on the pay per view.

Loved this from Jericho, obviously it won’t happen but still a fantastic way to get him over tonight in a big way.

The tag match was the first bit of down time for the evening to be honest because not really interested in any of them.

Don’t rock the titanic you say? Interesting stuff with the desire for Nash to get in there and apologise, safe bet to say that won’t happen… and wanting to can the match because his “BEST FRIEND” is angry at him lol. “VANILLA MIDGETS” “WHICH ONE IS HE AGAIN ANYWAYS” FUCK ME haha. Put the shovel down. This really builds further intrigue with the direction you’re going here because you’ve had a couple of them ride Hogans dick, and then ultimately Hall and Bischoff put him back in his box. Interesting stuff.

DDP going over is the logical solution here given what he’s up to. Having him beat a credible opponent like Steiner is only going to add to his build into his big title match. The ending of it is interesting since the main event is no doubt set to be a circus as well.

I absolutely loved the Bret Hart promo. Particularly mentioning that he’d beaten everyone in WWF and named them. It’s Post-Mania night and Bret’s just named all their stars and run them well down. I thought Bret was just magnificent in the way that he played to being the home town hero. Plus the use of “THE WCW” continuously was hilarious. Rehashing the use of the steel plate was an interesting choice but I loved it. Great segment. Topped of with The Berg not wanting to know about the doctors was great.

Main Event time. How good. Really enjoyed it. The referee bump had to happen but as soon as it did it was pretty clear what was going to happen. Loved the double low blow spot into the title belt shot to Eric. THREE COUNT for the Headbutt! No ref. Fuck. You cunt. Hogan tapping out now, but no ref still. Obviously shit that he’s not winning the belt here but Benoit is looking a million bucks. AND here’s Big Sexy. Title belt to Benoit and that’s all she wrote. Unbelievable match, awesome ending and in Canada. How good would this have been. Just magnificent. Nash showing no emotion and just leaving adds further intrigue to all of this. Interesting point with the satisfied smirks right at the end though. So good.

Great show mate, again, sorry it took so long. Pissed Benoit lost but he was always going too but you had him look a million bucks.

Thunder, well.

Eight Cruiserweights to open the show = MONEY. Fun match and the right team wins. Start to do something with Mysterio and Chavo.

It’s a damn shame you didn’t save the DDP/Jericho promo for Nitro. Really really good stuff. I love what you’re doing with Jericho. It would be outstanding if the nWo somehow screw DDP in this one and Jericho finds his way into the title match.

Dunno why Raven took 5 minutes to beat Stevie fucking Ray. The most match was a nice yet obvious way to further this little issue between Raven and THE MOTHERFUCKING SANDMAN.

Another enjoyable little segment with Steiner/Bagwell/Lex. I hate Bagwell so much but I actually lol’d at this.

Really interesting stuff from Nash here. So keen to see where you take this. The prospect of Nash/Hogan is better than ever now but I’m not sure if you’ll pull the trigger on it. Unfortunately this probably proves that DDP isn’t winning at the PPV either as Big Sexy will make sure it doesn’t happen.

Steiner wins. Fair enough. Wrath stays looking strong. Good decision. All fine.

Wow… Benoit/Malenko v The Outsiders… that’s a big one. I would’ve preferred Benoit v Nash though. That would’ve been great but hopefully done the track. This little segment ends in typically seedy fucking fashion.

The Berg does what The Berg does. Fair enough. Nice little segment to get him on the show. Typically intense.

Sting v Luger is booked. Nice little promo from Sting. No way he loses to Lex.

Benoit in action for the second main event in a row. I get what you did with Nash costing The Horsemen for the win for the second time in a row, and it makes perfect sense for Nash coming out looking powerful after his promo earlier but I feel it would’ve been a great move to get Benoit back in the winners circle after the title match. Yeah you protected him and all that, but a win here and a different involvement for Nash would’ve done the world of good for Benoit for mine.

Anyway, good episode of Thunder. Plenty happening for a B Show. Plenty of which could’ve found it’s way onto Nitro and you probably did a disservice to a couple of segments by not having them on the top show. Jericho/DDP segment especially.

NOW PLAYING IN BE THE BOOKER.

Respected bookerman

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Look who the workhorse is! Benoit right back in action after his loss on Nitro! Steiner vs. Wrath too? Oooh.

While I liked the writing here to explain why Garza wound up losing – due to being a big headed jerk – I can’t get behind Blitzkrieg getting the pinfall. That smacks to me of a way to transition into Garza vs. Blitzkrieg at Spring Stampede despite Garza and Kidman being the long term program over the title. If that’s the direction, or if it’s a way to shoehorn Krieg into the picture for a triple threat and hold off on Kidman getting his one on one rematch, I’m disappointed to be honest. Dropping the fall to Kidman; this is great. Anyone else – especially with Kidman IN the match and locked into this program with Garza? Not a fan.

Jericho vs. Page on Nitro? Good set up for it here, and as I’ve said countless times before, you write this babyface DDP character so unbelievably well. This was another case in point. No backing off from a challenge, and instead presenting one to Jericho. As fun as a triple champion match sounds, Jericho has no business being part of the Spring Stampede main event; it’s all about DDP/Hogan for me. No need to water it down.

But still, him just rubbing shoulders with these guys and forcing things to happen is a notable leap for him as a character and competitor within the company. Should be a fascinating match to see unfold and how you book it on Nitro.

Good follow up on the Nitro situation and Raven getting payback on Van Hammer for making him face Hak. Nice to see when things like that aren’t just forgotten. Raven accepting the challenge from Stevie was interesting too, as we’ve come to expect Kanyon and Idol to do all his bidding. Protecting Stevie Ray in a loss to Raven!? You’re the fruit booty, Zoom!! Felt like a few issues got some air time here with Hak and Saturn making their presence felt in the post match. All decent stuff to keep these feuds moving along.

Well, you fucked up your own colour scheme, and that’s what you get for choosing to use different colours for each guy talking!! Big Poppa Pump spitting bars here I see, and as much as I love Steiner – especially when you write him – any nWo featurette minus the original crew always feels a little lacking. Bagwell is a brilliantly written dick though. Oh, and Luger is getting fucked by Sting for sure.

Good lord. You’re really pushing Ice Train Glacier for a tag team title push!? Is this really happening!?

High point of the show here. Kevin Nash’s recent arc has been pretty god damn sexy, and the underlying tension between him and THE GOD has been brewing beautifully up to him teasing the screw job on Nitro, only to stay loyal to the Hulkster. This one hit all the right notes, from the comments about wearing his hockey jersey in a dig at Goldberg, and I got a chuckle at his line about not being a Horseman despite doing a good Double A impression. What a prick.

But what I especially enjoyed about this is that it wasn’t a case of Nash and Hogan being buddies all along. Nash’s issues with Hogan are legit, but he helped him in order to keep the belt out of WCW hands. That makes the bogus finish on Nitro much more palatable for me, and as an explanation it fits. Nash has always been about hurting WCW, so it makes sense he’d still side with Hogan against WCW, even if he may still have designs on the gold himself. Really, really excellent promo.

Oh, and Scott Hall not showing up for work because of the alcohol? Love that, lol.

I know Steiner isn’t seen as a massive big guy like a monster, but Wrath still pressing him over his head is super impressive. This could’ve easily been a mid card PPV match imo, or even a Thunder main event, so getting it mid way through a Thunder? Zoom-E, you’re spoiling us! Felt like a set up for a potential rematch anyway, given the screwy ending and Steiner using the chair.

I’m here for the underlying Arn/Torrie feud. Outsiders vs. Horsemen at Spring Stampede is a good addition, provided Hall is in any fit condition to perform… could see that being used as a reason for Hall to do a job at the PPV again, punishing him for his lack of professionalism. Not sure how Benoit could rebound by losing back to back big matches against the nWo like that, just when he felt primed to be a big player. Fascinating dilemma you might have there. And yeah, Torrie Lewinski is gonna bring a heart attack on for Flair.

Goldberg doing Goldbergy things. Bit of an odd shift from him here just giving a passing comment to Bret before stating his real focus is on Hogan. Just seems weird as I’d imagine he’d be completely hell bent on Bret right now after that stunt on Nitro.

Well, you said it, some stinky cheese out of Sting there, lol. Bat on the attack. He should run over Luger at the PPV really.

Wow. Didn’t expect that finish to the show. For sure thought Buff and Lex were there as nWo fodder for the Horsemen to stamp over (or beat in a competitive match) so the finish took me by surprise. That might actually be the first thing Luger has really done in this thread, and I guess that was required in order to make him seem like some kind of threat to Sting at Spring Stampede. With the interference of Nash and Steiner, the Horsemen surely have to fight fire with fire and get down and dirty with the nWo going forward?

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status
      Country                    Poland

Hey, good news! I only have 2 more segments of Nitro to go - maybe I'll finish it tonight! If not, it will be soon as I should have more writing time coming up.

WCW Saturday Night
    April 3, 1999

It’s 6:05 PM - I think! - and it is time for the best C-show in all of wrestling! Don’t pay attention to the fact that the WWF’s C-show beats us in the ratings, we’re a wholesome family show and not named after a GUN! GUNS KILL PEOPLE! Ahem. Anyways… wholesome family show here, even though we have (S)Mark Madden in the booth with Lee Marshall and Scott Hudson to call all of the action, so unplug those yellow, red, and white cables from the TV, get it on The Superstation, and let’s get ready to watch 2 hours of undercard wrestling, and a lot of recap footage from Nitro and Thunder that won’t be mentioned in this write up! But you know what will be? How about Chris Jericho defending the Television Title against Scotty Riggs in tonight’s featured bout! We also have Perry Saturn and Hak teaming up for the first time on Saturday Night, and a lot more!

Lash Leroux vs. Silver King

Tonight’s curtain jerker features the Power Plant graduate with the coolest growing sideburns in wrestling against the masked Luchadore. The two men don’t get the chance to have a competitive singles match often, so they go all out and entertain the heck out of the fans in attendance for the taping here in Ontario. The crowd appreciates Silver King’s Plancha from the top turnbuckle to the outside, and they definitely love it when Leroux counters King whipping him into the guardrail by leaping up onto it, and immediately flying off to crash land on the Luchadore with a Moonsault press! These two keep going fast as can be the whole time, and it is the rookie Leroux who scores his first meaningful victory in WCW tonight. As the two men go lightning quick with pin reversals, Lash ends up springboard off the second ropes, flying back into the air and landing on King’s shoulders, and rolling him up with a Victory Roll! It’s an impressive ending sequence, and the rookie is beside himself in happiness at getting the win.

Al Greene vs. Scott Norton

This match is rough as fuck, but thankfully not very long. Al Greene is employed by WCW still purely because he is friends with Kevin Nash, and not because he’s a talented wrestler. The two men honestly just potato the hell out of each other throughout the match, and it’s almost nonstop punch and kick. But it also sees Norton knock Greene silly with a massive Lariat, and that allows him to connect with the coolest finisher in wrestling today - The Heart Headbutt - and give the gaijin the victory he deserves.

How is Stevie Ray Involved in So Many Feuds?

It’s time for a ‘Mean’ Gene Okerlund ringside entrance aisle interview, but you just know he first is plugging The Hotline - 1-900-909-9900, just $1.69 a minute, kids have your parents permission before calling! - and all of the scoops that he has! But then, it’s time to bring out a man that Mean Gene wants to hear more from given how much he’s been caught up in lately - Stevie Ray! The former Black & White member comes out dressed in fly street clothes; I can’t accurately describe how awesome he looks, but just know, it’s ahead of its time and superb.

Mean Gene does a brief recap of some of the important events that’s been going on with Stevie Ray over the past few months: he tried and failed to recruit his brother to the nWo, he wasn’t included in The Elite’s plan for the unification of the nWo, he was relegated to a back-up member for the group, he’s been blamed for the failures of the B-Team, he’s had The Cubpack trying to instigate him, and he’s had Scott Steiner attack him on several occasions. However, judging by these past few weeks, one thing is certain: Stevie Ray is done with the New World Order! He asks the hard questions though: was this departure what he wanted, or what the nWo made happen!?

Sneering in the best mean mugging way possible - seriously, Stevie Ray knew how to mean mug a camera better than you remember - he explains to Mean Gene in his urban slang that it don’t matter what the n-Dubya-o had ta’ do or say ta’ him, ‘cause Stevie Ray was over n’ done wit’ it, ya’ feel? “The n-Dubya-o wa’nt no team, Mean Gene! I know a team! Harlem Heat, sucka! 7-times Tag Team Champions! I ain’t no sucka, no Uncle Tom! I wa’nt gonna keep hangin’ ‘round, carryin’ bags… suckin’ up ta’ The Elite like them Cubpack Fruit Booties! And I certainly ain’t gonna just roll ova’ n’ take it from Scott Stein’ah!” Stevie continues to go off on Big Poppa Pump especially, making it clear that Steiner’s going to pay for the attacks on him.

Mean Gene focuses on what’s next for Stevie Ray now since he is officially out of the nWo. Is he going to go after The Cubpack? Brian Adams and Vincent? Steiner? After more mean mugging, Stevie Ray makes it clear that they’ve ALL made his hit list. “Dat Disco Inferno got a Harlem style butt whoopin’ comin’ to him, Mean Gene, beli’e dat! But Scott Stein’ah! You up first, sucka! I want you on Nitro, in dat ring! We gonna knuckle, we gonna knuckle! You goin’ learn dat you ain’t as big nor as bad as you think you are, sucka! I’m gonna be the one slappin’ his Fruit Booty backside around, Gene! I ain’t got no shackles no mo’, n’ they all about ta’ see the real Stevie Ray! Ya’ he’rd!? It of course leads to Mean Gene awfully repeating that he “heard'' and wrapping the interview up.

The Cubpack vs. Rock n’ Roll Express

The veteran team are still getting paid by WCW, so you know what that means? Job duty! Of course Ricky Morton also sells like it’s nobody’s business for Disco Inferno and Norman Smiley as well throughout the match to let the nWo wannabees look as strong as possible. While Robert Gibson’s hot tag almost gets the RnR Express partying like the 80s again, a well timed intervention from Disco - from behind - halts his momentum. While Disco takes care of Morton, it allows Smiley to then finish the job on Gibson, making him tap out to the Norman Conquest submission hold, better known as a Crossface Chickenwing. Don’t worry, there’s Disco Dancing and the Smiley Spank afterwards, because everyone loves to watch one man disco dance while the other pantomimes scoring from behind.

Bobby Duncum Jr. (w/Divine Lineage) vs. Prince Iaukea

Obviously the rookie cowboy needs the help of the World Tag Team Champions to put away the barefoot, supreme talent that is Iaukea, right?? Of course not. While Windham and Hennig are here to support their charge on, the roughneck Texan doesn’t need much help to dispatch the cruiserweight tonight. Iaukea bumps around for Duncum throughout the match, with the best one absolutely coming when Duncum somehow doesn’t decapitate Iaukea with a Lariat to swat him out of the air when the Prince tries a Springboard from the apron into the ring. It sets up the Full Nelson Front Slam for the victory moments later, understandably enough.

Wrath Gon Give It To Ya

Because he is a star absolutely worth our time, the commentators air a not-yet-seen interview that took place during Thunder but was not on the broadcast! The segment is a backstage interview with Saturday Night commentator Scott Hudson catching up with the man who lost to Scott Steiner earlier in the night, Wrath. Big surprise here, but Hudson mainly focuses on that match, and Wrath taking the loss. Considering how he lost ‘tonight’, Wrath is certainly pissed off too. “Big Poppa Pump, huh!? Nothin’ finer than Scott Steiner, right!? Yeah right! Scott Steiner is a CHUMP, more like! Scott Steiner couldn’t handle the HEAT of my Thermonuclear Meltdown, and that’s why he had to take the cowards way out! Buff Bagwell, steel chair… that’s the only way you were beatin’ me tonight! But that’s how the nWo does business, I guess; win at all costs, who needs integrity!?”

Hudson also brings up Steiner saying earlier in the night that The Wolfpac was never serious about wanting to recruit him into the group, despite making the offer the previous week during his match against DDP. Wrath makes it clear he doesn’t care one way or the other if the offer was valid because no matter what, he wasn’t joining the nWo. “The nWo couldn’t handle havin’ a guy like me on their team, Hudson! All those wannabe TOUGH GUYS would get too jealous too quick at MY POWER! I’m TOO STRONG for the nWo, and I’m definitely bigger, badder, and a better athlete than Steiner or Buff!” However, despite throwing shade at the nWo, Wrath deflects away from the group as well as he tells Hudson that his number one focus in WCW is still to win himself his first piece of championship gold, and he won’t stop until he gets it, no matter what title it is. He still brings it back to the nWo at the end though, as he warns, “but if anyone in the nWo gets in the way of me achieving my goal!? Well, then they’re gon’ feel MY WRATH~!. Oo, scary.

Disorderly Conduct vs. Hak & Perry Saturn

Everyone loves to see career enhancement talent like Mean Mike and Tough Tom on Saturday Night; that’s why this show exists still! Needless to say, this match is obviously nothing more than a showcase match for the still new team of the former Sandman and The Gargoyle. The extremists show off their impressive blend of styles in the match, Saturn complimenting the drunken punches of Hak with his impressive array of suplexes and aerial maneuvers. And yet, despite Saturn breaking out things like a T-Bone Suplex on the big Tough Tom and a Slingshot Elbow Drop to Mean Mike, it is actually the Rings of Saturn submission hold that scores the victory for the team tonight, just further showing off the excellent versatility of The Gargoyle.

WCW TELEVISION TITLE: Chris Jericho © vs. Scotty Riggs

The commentators, of course, spend much of this match shilling Monday Nitro’s big match against Diamond Dallas Page for Jericho, and using this match to bring into question if it will even happen, should Riggs score the upset victory tonight. No mention, however, is made of the fact that Jericho is here without Ralphus or The Rhino (the two characters clearly stuck in limbo given the abrupt and unexpected character change for Jericho) nor that Riggs is without his partner in International Beauty, Scott Putski (someone just no showed a house show, and that means that since he’s an undercard talent, he gets suspended for the month… whereas certain established stars *cough*nWomembers*cough* get away with this all the time because, lol Bischoff).

This is the first match where Jericho is wrestling essentially as a face, and he’s made even more of a face because of the fact that this taping took place in Ontario, Canada. The crowd is over huge for him, which makes this match seem even bigger as a result. Jericho uses high flying maneuvers to pop the crowd as a result, hitting a Triangle Dropkick to knock RIggs off the apron to the outside, and follows it up with a Pescado for a bigger pop. The Ayatollah of Rock n’ Rolla has no problems even playing himself up to the crowd as well, getting bigger pops for it. He also has no problems winning the match and retaining his Title, a true shock, I know, given his current out of nowhere big push. Jericho knocks Riggs down to the canvas with a Running High Knee to the face, and then the Lionsault off the second rope makes it a second successful title defense for the Canadian star. It also does mean, shocker, that Monday Nitro’s featured bout will be the Television Champion taking on the United States Champion… and if Jericho beats DDP in forty-eights hours time, it means Spring Stampede will see the World Heavyweight Title match be a triple threat match! Can Jericho push his way through the glass ceiling to face both DDP and Hogan at the PPV!? Find out on Monday Nitro!

Confirmed Card for Spring Stampede - April 11, 1999
    WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Hollywood Hogan © vs. Diamond Dallas Page vs. Chris Jericho???
    Grudge Match: Bret Hart vs. Goldberg
    Grudge Match: Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko vs. The Outsiders
    Grudge Match: Lex Luger vs. Sting

WCW 99: The Fingerpoke of Doom
    Now Playing in BTB Section!

The Only One.

Status
      Country                    Australia

I’m an advocate for the Chris Jericho out of nowhere big push as you are well aware.

NOW PLAYING IN BE THE BOOKER.

Putting Butts in Seats

Status
      Country                    United States

Hey it's a multi-man cruiserweight match to start the show - it must be THUNDER! I do like the story being told here especially after what Garza did on Nitro that Garza got a bit of comeuppance, but all that matters is that he's still da champ!

The sudden shift from Jericho is definitely cool and I'm all for him being elevated - but it's kinda odd to have The Rhino disappear so quickly after his debut as Jericho's muscle. But this DDP/Jericho was some good back and forth to build up to their clash on Nitro. Still think there's no chance in Hell Jericho is getting added to the Title match but it will be interesting to see how the story plays out for sure.

Lol, Van Hammer. Nice use of Raven here - love the payback. Effective enough match to further the Stevie Ray/Cubpack stuff and the Raven/Kanyon/Saturn/Hak plot as well.

Wrath vs. Steiner - I'm pumped.

What?! ICE ICE ICEBERG? PINNING THE CHAMPS? I think you've officially lost it, Zooms. I am all for plucky underdog teams, but this may a bit much, lol.

Really good stuff from Nash to highlight his recent internal struggles. I like that his allegiance remains with the nWo but still is his own man and ultimately wants to get the title back. You captured Nash beautifully here.

Would've loved to see Wrath pull off another big showing and beat Steiner, but at least it wasn't clean. Hopefully this leads to more - would love to see these two get a PPV spot together.

Outsiders vs. Horsemen at Spring Stampede, awesome!

Man, Hugh Morrus falls to Goldberg again! I've voiced my thoughts on Goldberg/Hart overall but I am still looking forward to the match at Spring Stampede.

Big win for Luger and Bagwell, kind of needed even if it means Benoit is taking two loses in a row - but again, it was thanks to Nash and further fans the flames for the PPV and as Wolfy mentioned, Luger needed a little heat behind him for the match with Sting as well. So I'm fine with this.

Compared to some past episodes of Thunder, this one felt like a pretty loaded "B-Show" - really good story development and only two squash matches, we're bordering on A-Show territory here! Just another really fun outting and I look forward Nitro, especially to see how you book Jericho.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread Information