Thread: WC Decides: The Greatest Premier League Team - The Central Midfielders

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

WC Decides: The Greatest Premier League Team - The Central Midfielders

WC Decides: The Greatest Premier League Team - The Central Midfielders

Every Saturday a new thread will be posted and open for the week to discuss the best in that particular position(s). Then I will post the results here before opening up the next position.

The Team So Far:

--- Peter Schmeichel ---
    -- Gary Neville -- John Terry -- Rio Ferdinand -- Ashley Cole ---
    -- Cristiano Ronaldo ---- x --- x ---- x ----
    ---- ---- x ---- x ---- -----

On to the discussion.

(what this thread could look like when the discussion gets started)

To me, this is the most contentious spot of the whole list. Whether it’s a midfield destroyer that breaks up attacks and protects the backline, a box-to-box menace, or an all out attacking midfielder - the central midfield covers so many great players. It’s the most stacked category for any Premier League position with many icons for many teams.

Much like the central defenders, we’re looking for two spots so five votes for this category.

Please vote with your top five Premier League Central Midfielders in history via PM to me by 5.00PM GMT on Saturday 12th October. E.G:

1- Eric Djemba Djemba (5 Points)
    2- Alberto Aquilani (4 Points)
    3- Lee Cattermole (3 Points)
    4- Christian Poulsen (2 Points)
    5- Fred (1 Point)

Also use this thread to pitch who you think is the best, or who deserves to be in the discussion.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: WC Decides: The Greatest Premier League Team - The Central Midfielders

To me it's about who partners Roy Keane. There are so many options with the likes of Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Vieria, Fabregas and many more.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    To me it's about who partners Roy Keane. There are so many options with the likes of Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Vieria, Fabregas and many more.

Completely agreed. Keane is the most complete midfielder in Premier League history, and my pick for best player in the league's history. Everything about him was perfect for a central mid, and there wasn't a part of football that he lacked.

As well as your names I'd throw David Silva, Yaya Toure, N'Golo Kante, as more modern examples.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Shock Reviews Archive

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

There are so many midfielders that you can make great arguments for. Names that come to mind immediately are Keane, Scholes, Gerrard and David Silva. And that leaves out Lampard, Vieira, Yolo Toure, etc. Goddamn what a position. Might pick Michael Carrick tbh

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I think there's arguments for loads of players:

Keane - already mentioned, my number 1 and the best Premier League player ever imo.
    Lampard - the goalscoring record that shatters every other midfielder, and rivals a lot of strikers.
    Gerrard - one of the most influential players in his ability to drag his team (sometimes very poor) to victories. Great leader on the pitch.
    Scholes - one of the finest passers of all time. Him coming out of retirement to help Man Utd win the league in 12/13 is a very tempting factor in whether I want to vote for him or not.
    Vieira - like Keane, almost the perfect midfielder. A bit better technically than Keane, even. Incredible leader.
    Yaya Toure - similar to Vieira - not nearly as influential defensively but so so good going forward. Watching Yaya in full stride just running through teams was a joy.
    David Silva - the greatest Man City player in its most successful era. One of the easiest players on the eye that I've ever seen and a personal favourite.
    Kante - has the back to back Premier League wins where he was arguably the best player in both seasons.
    Fabregas - was a top class player as a teenager, carried a really shit Arsenal team to top 4 finishes every season for years. Came back to England with Chelsea and was one of their better players in a title win.

It's such a stacked field that guys like Carrick, Makelele, KDB, and Essien probably won't get much of a look in for me despite all being incredible players in their own right.

Shock Reviews Archive

Relentless Admin

Status

There's so much to unpack here, it really is the most difficult positions to pick because there's been so many great players that play different roles for their team and it's going to come down to what you appreciate more in footballers more than facts. Even more so than strikers because I think really we're only going to be picking 2 out of 5-6 names there and people will be quoting goal scoring records to justify picks (#bait)

I love Kante, I thought he was the #1 reason Leicester won the title and then he went and did back to back with another team. He's definitely ahead of Makelele in the defensive midfield stakes, I think what hurts him is Chelsea haven't sustained any dominance since he came in. I think if we had 4 seasons of Kante's team contributing to a title race, then he'd be making a stronger argument of it, but that isn't what's happened so it's difficult to put him ahead of Roy Keane for example.

I've been lucky enough to see the likes of Henry, Bale and Ronaldo play live in person, players who were unquestionably the best in the league at one point, but David Silva is without a doubt the best footballer I think I've seen in multiple viewings. I've probably watched him five or six times and every game I thought he was the best player on the pitch and was operating on an untouchable level. To me he's like the Paul Scholes of this generation of the PL where I'm in awe of his passing and decision making and he always seems to make the right call. I think what does him over in 'best ever' selections like this is he's unselfish and puts the team game ahead of his own, he's maybe too versatile for his own good so he never stands out in one area and is perhaps making the pass that leads to the assist so his stats don't reflect how crucial he is to a team. And he's been doing it for almost 10 seasons now! I'm never gonna pick Gerrard for this anyway because Lampard > Gerrard in the PL and I'll get into that in another post, but I don't see the argument for Gerrard ahead of Silva when Silva's been influential to 4 title winning sides (and some 2nd place finishes) and Gerrard's contributed to 0 title winning sides, the best he ever did was a few runners up positions. I know he's the heartbeat of that club in the PL era and a great captain, but the best Liverpool PL team doesn't even have Gerrard in it~!

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

There's no way David Silva doesn't make my list somewhere. The dude just oozes class and Ed is right about seeing him live in person, he's the guy that for years made City tick. Even today, while he doesn't start every game, City are a much better team with him in it.

Ed mentioned about Gerrard being the big omission for him, but that's kind of how I feel about Scholes. There's a lot of revisionist history regarding Scholes and how good he was. Scholes was a very good player, incredible even. And his longevity speaks for itself. He might make my list. But then you hear people talk about him as one of the greatest midfielders of his generation, how underappreciated he was, and that he was clearly better than Lampard and Gerrard (who he inevitably will be compared to). It gets to the point where you hear about all this hyperbole and it makes me just not want to vote for him at all because it makes me scrutinize the hyperbole so all I think is the negatives to his game. He wasn't a complete midfielder like Gerrard or Lampard - he was clearly better technically and a much better passer than both, but he was much worse defensively than both and nowhere near as prolific as either.

I don't think Gerrard should be marked down for not winning a title. Gerrard had some really weak Liverpool sides to deal with and carried them far above where they should have gotten to. I don't think any one player was as influential for making his team better than Gerrard was.

Right now I'm leaning towards Lampard as my number 2. I've always been a massive fan of him, but the goalscoring record is very very hard to look past. He's got the individual and team records. I know numbers don't tell all the story in football, but he has more goals than most strikers nevermind the midfielders - and he's also ahead of almost every central midfielder in terms of assists (only Fabregas has more). It says a lot that Lampard came in to Chelsea before the takeover at a time when Chelsea was signing every player under the sun, yet Lampard stayed in the team and he's the guy that Mourinho trusted to build his entire spine of the team around, along with Terry and Drgoba. Played under multiple top managers and they all trusted him to start. He's got that record of consecutive appearances for an outfield player, so it's not like he was ever rotated either. Did better on the World Player of the Year awards than any of the other guys in discussion here (I do acknowledge this is a weak argument, because if we're looking at Prem only then maybe we should consider that Gerrard has appeared in the PL team of the season more times than anyone else).

Again, I know numbers aren't everything, but Lampard's numbers really do dwarf the attacking minded players in this category. Scholes has two seasons where he got double digits for goals, Gerrard had four, Lampard had ten (consecutive years too). His consistency was out of this world.

Shock Reviews Archive

Heel Champion

Status

I've got my 5 it's just what order 2-5 will be. You can make arguments for all of them to go alongside Keane for me. We're looking at a CM player here so this is more about goals. This is also about assists, breaking up the play, opening up defences etc. It's about the full package in arguably the hardest position to play especially in an old fashioned 442 formation.

As for Scholes if he was in this period of 4231 formations he probably would have scored a few more goals so it's hard to compare him with a Lampard as Frank played a more advanced role during his peak periods.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    As for Scholes if he was in this period of 4231 formations he probably would have scored a few more goals so it's hard to compare him with a Lampard as Frank played a more advanced role during his peak periods.

This is a fair point I had never really thought of.

Shock Reviews Archive

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

This is TOUGH! So many options.

I'm definately going with Scholes as my #1. Most gifted player of his generation confirmed by Zidane & Xavi so that says everything really.

Then got Roy Keane, Vieira, Gerrard, Lampard, Silva, Fabregas and so many more.

Going to be hard to narrow it down to 5 people.

"LET ME IN.."

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

This is ridiculously tough, feel like I could be leaving out Silva, Toure, Fabregas, Kante, Vieira.

Where do people see KDB as playing? Feels like he's largely been used as a more advanced CMF in a 4-3-3 and as much as it pains me as a United fan I think he's been easily the best player in the last the last few seasons - which none of the other lads mentioned above could really say. Longevity might hurt him a little in this vote at present though.

I'm certain to include Keano, Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard in some order then torn between the others I've mentioned. Would like to hear if any others have considered KDB in this position? I mean don't see where else he can go in a 4-4-2 tbf.

And he scores goals...!

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Kdb definitely comes under cm if Lampard and Gerrard do, imo. Longevity really hurts him and Kante I think. Maybe in 5 years, but when you see Lampard putting up double digits for 10 years it's difficult to put him above some others. He's an absolute joy though and I can definitely understand why he'd be on some lists.

Vieira is someone I don't think is getting enough discussion. Above every other player, he's the one that arsenal have never been able to replace. Much like Keane, he was the perfect midfielder, a bit better technically and going forward than Keane, even. He transformed Arsenal, and it's not a coincidence that he was there right through Arsenal's best period, and then they fell off without him.

Shock Reviews Archive

Keep dreaming

Status
      Country                    UK

I’m leaning towards Vieira and Keane #1 and #2 but then I feel like I’m doing Lampard a disservice. This is by far the hardest position for me.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Two days to get those lists in. It's very tight

Shock Reviews Archive

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Thanks for the remainder! Mine are in! :D

"LET ME IN.."

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Thanks to the following voters who chimed in to the greatest Central Midfielders list: Sykotic, Wolf Beast, PS, Tommy Thunder, Deco90, Skengman95, TWG, MC16, Ed, Shock

The Honourable Mentions

Claude Makelele - 1 Point
    Matt Le Tissier - 1 Point
    Yaya Toure - 2 Points
    Kevin De Bruyne - 3 Points
    N’Golo Kante - 4 Points
    David Silva - 11 Points

Look at that list of honourable mentions. The likes of Cesc Fabregas didn’t even get a look in, while world class players like KDB, Kante, Yaya have to make do with honourable mentions. The Manchester magician, David Silva narrowly misses out on a top 5 place and can feel unlucky with his score or 11 points. Matt Le Tissier never got mentioned in the thread but everyone who has seen him play knows what a genius he was. Makelele’s stint in English football was short lived but he helped anchor a magnificent Chelsea midfield. KDB and Kante are modern examples, but both have enjoyed being the best player in the league over the last few seasons.

5th Place

Steven Gerrard - 12 Points

A surprisingly low score for Liverpool’s iconic captain as he falls quite short of the top of the list. Perhaps the lack of Premier League trophy hurt him in the long run, but there’s no denying the man’s quality as a footballer and a leader.

4th Place

Patrick Vieira - 15 Points

Arsenal’s midfield monster takes the fourth place in the pack. One of the strongest, nastiest, but technically brilliant footballers in the history of the league. A player that felt like playing with an extra midfielder, and his presence on the pitch was up there with the very best.

3rd Place

Frank Lampard - 29 Points

Frank Lampard takes the third place. The best goalscoring midfielder of his generation, and one of the main men in Chelsea’s dominance in the mid-late 00s. However it sees him just shy of the top two ...

WC’s Premier League Central Midfielders are …

Paul Scholes - 31 Points

What is there to be said about Paul Scholes that hasn’t already? One of football’s all time great passers, and one of the most decorated players in English history. A mainstay of Manchester United for over 15 years including coming out of retirement during an injury crisis in the 2012/2013 season and being the best player in the second half of the season to help Man Utd win the title.

(I tried to find a picture of him happy and celebrating but it doesn't exist)

Roy Keane - 41 Points

It’s only fitting that next to Scholes is his partner in crime, Roy Keane. To me, he’s the best player in the history of the league. It takes a special kind of player to replace Paul Ince. It takes an even more special player to improve on that. One of Manchester United’s greatest ever players, he was a natural leader on the pitch and wouldn’t accept second best - whether it was him or his teammates. A tenacious defensive player, but an all round amazing box to box midfielder. There wasn’t a thing he couldn’t do. He could tackle, defend, pass, he could score - and perhaps most of all - he could drag his teams when they needed it.

The Team So Far:

--- Peter Schmeichel ---
    --- Gary Neville ---- John Terry --- Rio Ferdinand ---- Ashley Cole ----
    --- Cristiano Ronaldo ---- Roy Keane --- Paul Scholes ---- x ----
    ---- ---- x ---- x ---- -----

Next part we’ll be looking for the best Left Winger in Premier League history. Thread to be posted soon.

Shock Reviews Archive

Relentless Admin

Status

BULLSHIT. #JusticeforFrank

It's almost as if Man Utd are the most supported club on this forum...

Heel Champion

Status

Forgot to get my votes in haha. Would have gone Keane and Gerrard myself.

Left wing should be another Man Utd victory sorry Ed. At least the strikers should be none Man Utd players.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Good picks. United Heavy, of course.

Thread Information