Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Wednesday Night War Thread

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: The Wednesday Night War Thread

I have to say after tonight that AEW are making it very tough for me to root for them. As many of you probably know I'm a fan of the company and have been rooting for them from the start. In general, I always support alternatives to WWE. But man, that's 3 episodes in a row now where I feel like they've underdelivered and left me feeling like I pretty much wasted my time watching it.

The thing about it is they seem to misunderstand what makes/made them compelling which (to me at least) was that they had the opportunity to create something totally fresh. And now it's starting to feel more and more like they're WWE with lower production value and more suicide dives.

That's a bit harsh but honestly, they're getting to that territory. At the same time, the ironic part is that one thing I think they could stand to moreso mimic WWE on is the use of promos. AEW have good talkers for the part. And the fact that they aren't meticulously scripted means that the promos tend to come across a lot better. And yet, we don't see nearly enough of them. Honestly Dynamite is starting to feel way too formulaic to me. You know every week you're gonna see a handful of long tag team matches with basically the same competitors, you're gonna get your one women's match per week, you might get three talking segments if you're lucky, usually featuring the same people, and you're getting 30 minutes to an hour worth of spooky stuff for some God forsaken reason.

The sad thing is that when AEW is good... it's usually great. Stuff like Hager's debut, Chris Jericho's first promo introducing The Inner Circle, Cody's Full Gear promo, The Inner Circle's parody video, the brawl in the concourse with "I've got a ticket!", Darby accepting Moxley's challenge and their ensuing match... those things were amazing and they were unique to AEW because either a) They're allowed to actually show personality in their promos and improvise or b) They "went there" and broke the mold, which WWE seems less willing to do. What they presented at Double Or Nothing and All Out, I felt, was a pretty perfect and well rounded product. Lots of variety. All they had to do was take that, and sprinkle in some promos and strong stories and they would have been golden.

But we're starting to see a lot of flaws. You've got the overarching issues like feuds being short and beefs seemingly being forgotten at the drop of the hat, too many spooky acts, arguably too many stables and the fact that you're expected to have extensive knowledge of other companies and every AEW roster member's YouTube channel in order to follow certain storylines. And then there's smaller things. Like why is Cody standing idly by while his wife does all this bizzaro shit? Will he ever acknowledge it? Is he fine with his wife and the CBO of the company interrupting the weekly women's match? Why the fuck do you have DDP out here hitting the Diamond Cutter on The Butcher AND The Blade? I love DDP but that's an awful look and something that people would bury WWE for. Why, after MJF called Cody a bitch and tried to bait him out to the ring, did Cody not come to DDP's aid but Dustin, who was in the same match as Cody, did? How many times will PAC attack Nakazawa before Kenny Omega accepts his challenge? And if attacking Nakazawa isn't getting the job done, when will PAC move on to something else? What are we doing bringing in the likes of The Butcher and The Blade, Big Swole and Dr. Luther when half the roster is missing on a majority of Dynamite episodes? Why does it feel like there's only two actual feuds going on, and then a thousand microfeuds?

I really fear for the direction of AEW. I'll be interested to see what the ratings are like this week, as well as a month or two from now. Assuming they keep up with what they've been doing, I have to imagine they'll have a hard time beating NXT. But as it's been said, it's not necessarily important that they beat NXT. They're doing good enough numbers to keep TNT happy. But it sure would be a bad reflection on the company if they aren't capable of keeping up with NXT, which gets like a fourth or fifth of the viewers that Raw and Smackdown do. And if the ratings fall or plateau, the same will probably happen to attendance, as well as merchandise sells and the whole shebang. Then next thing you know, this whole thing which had so much promise and hype just becomes another company that's there but doesn't really move the needle. That's probably all a big overreaction but it's hard not to wonder.

Anyways. NXT is just roundly outperforming Dynamite lately. Like I don't think it's particularly close. And a couple of months ago, I would have said without hesitation that Dynamite is the most exciting show on air for me. And that may have been because there were still questions of how they'd perform and how the show is going to look. But now I'm seeing a lot of wasted potential and bad decisions, and a show that doesn't really give me great matches (which it could) or promos that are any better than what WWE has (which it needs to). At the VERY WORST I know NXT is going to give me a couple of really awesome matches and then there's the potential to see something epic like Balor's heel turn, Ripley's title win or the reformation of Time Splitters. That just makes it an easy win for NXT because AEW are almost forcing me away with what they're giving me lately.
    Last edited by Mr. Peanutbutter; 01-09-2020 at 12:10 AM.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Spoiler:

Jam Up Guy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post
    The sad thing is that when AEW is good... it's usually great. Stuff like Hager's debut, Chris Jericho's first promo introducing The Inner Circle, Cody's Full Gear promo, The Inner Circle's parody video, the brawl in the concourse with "I've got a ticket!", Darby accepting Moxley's challenge and their ensuing match... those things were amazing and they were unique to AEW
    From what I've seen I agree with pretty much everything you said there, but wanted to briefly touch on this bit. The things they've done well are, in my opinion, so good that for me personally I'd consider AEW a hit. I never thought they'd do so many things that I loved as much as I did. Even if they went out of business tomorrow, they've given me enough things to remember them by and go back and watch on YouTube than the majority of wrestling companies I've seen have given me in years.

The problem is that the bad stuff that goes alongside that is absolute dross, and yet they don't seem to be learning what made those good things good and the bad things bad. Really they deserve a year + to work all this stuff out, but the challenge for them is it's typically far easier to lose viewers than gain them. While it's totally reasonable to allow them a year to really find their feet and understand what makes them unique and exciting, first impressions count for so much that they don't have that amount of time. And once you've lost viewers, history indicates it usually takes something like a huge name jumping ship, a particular character catching on beyond your wildest dreams, or tapping in to a cultural zeitgeist, to get it back. And that's incredibly hard to do, especially if not many people are watching your product in the first place.

King EC

Status

Well.

I guess they showed me.

I've seen some tweets and reports saying NXT landed around 720,000 or something but that's yet to be confirmed by anyone reliable. But Alvarez says NXT didn't even make the top 50? If that's the case... AEW pretty much dominated them.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post

Well.

I guess they showed me.

I've seen some tweets and reports saying NXT landed around 720,000 or something but that's yet to be confirmed by anyone reliable. But Alvarez says NXT didn't even make the top 50? If that's the case... AEW pretty much dominated them.
    I found a list of the top 25 cable programs from last night and #25 had 749,000. So if NXT didn't even make the top 50, I'd imagine it'd be under 720,000.

Status

NXT is double the show AEW is right now but I think it's numbers are always going to be hurt by the fact that it's really easy to check it out on demand a couple of days later. For several weeks I was choosing AEW over NXT live because it was just easier to watch NXT lately whereas AEW isn't really on demand anywhere easily?

But lately I just wanna watch NXT and as jaded as I was with the WWE product it's not a great sign that AEW isn't holding my attention. NXT TV used to be the weakspot with their whole thing but now it's arguably as must-see as Takeover on a weekly basis because they're adding big moments into the week-to-week program. AEW may be winning the ratings war but all that's gonna do is further motivate WWE to improve NXT and I'm all about that.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

WC Hall of Famer

Your Favourite Member's Favourite Admin

Status
      Country                    England

It’s funny how quickly AEW turned into the creatively bad but ratings are holding strong show, rather like when die hard WWE fans would say that raw does well in the demos even though no-one seemed to enjoy watching it . I do think there’s something in what silk is saying about how NXT is tempting not to watch live because you can watch at your own convenience on the network whereas in America you’ve pretty much gotta turn on TNT to watch AEW.

Or maybe Brandi is a bigger draw than I give her credit....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information