Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Wednesday Night War Thread

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: The Wednesday Night War Thread

I don’t think this week matters too much, most people expected a bigger drop tbh with the big competition from live sports. Next week will be a worry if the viewers drop again.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

NXT has a weaker show overall but they've had the better top match a couple of times now. First WALTER vs Kushida and now Riddle vs Grimes. Interesting.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    NXT has a weaker show overall but they've had the better top match a couple of times now. First WALTER vs Kushida and now Riddle vs Grimes. Interesting.
    You thought Riddle vs Grimes was better than the 3 way main event?
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    You thought Riddle vs Grimes was better than the 3 way main event?
    Didn't watch it. No interest in seeing it, at all.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Didn't watch it. No interest in seeing it, at all.
    You dont like Lee?
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    You dont like Lee?
    Hit or miss on him. Hate the Dijak matches though, and I don't care to see them against each other again, even with Roddy is involved.

Relentless Admin

Status

I feel sorry for NXT. It's only right to compare them to AEW when they made the move to counter program them on Wednesday nights and they clearly aren't as must see as AEW, but it's still a good show. This isn't the WWE brand that should be dunked on because there's good wrestling and an attempt to make new stars. I mean, I watched SD for about 30 minutes on Friday and had to switch off the show was so lame. This week's NXT had a couple of very good matches, a hot closing angle, the promise of the womens tag titles finally being defended on this show and numerous matches set up for the future. In comparison to the main roster, there's nothing on NXT that would make me want to claw my eyeballs out over or switch the channel if a non-wrestling fan walked in the room

Relentless Admin

Status

Week 5 ratings:

AEW 759k
    NXT 580k

I know game 7 of the world series hurt probably everything on Wednesday, but that's 5 consecutive weeks of both shows losing viewers. In AEW's case, they've lost almost half their audience from Ep 1. to Ep 5, and for NXT they've done the same from Ep 1 to Ep 7. I keep hearing spin about 'but AEW's demos are good' but that excuse never cut the mustard when Raw were losing viewers but still strong in the demos. I think either there's no boom period coming here, or the NXT and AEW structure of just put good wrestling matches on without much build for the following week's episode is not convincing fans to watch live the following week.

Jam Up Guy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Week 5 ratings:

AEW 759k
    NXT 580k

I know game 7 of the world series hurt probably everything on Wednesday, but that's 5 consecutive weeks of both shows losing viewers. In AEW's case, they've lost almost half their audience from Ep 1. to Ep 5, and for NXT they've done the same from Ep 1 to Ep 7. I keep hearing spin about 'but AEW's demos are good' but that excuse never cut the mustard when Raw were losing viewers but still strong in the demos. I think either there's no boom period coming here, or the NXT and AEW structure of just put good wrestling matches on without much build for the following week's episode is not convincing fans to watch live the following week.
    There's no way we're going in to a boom period, or at least what would typically be considered one. I think wrestling is more accepted now than it's been for a little while (Nattie and Lacey at Crown Jewel was mentioned on BBC radio news, for instance), but it's nowhere near enough to actually motivate people to watch it on a regular basis when there's so much more "must watch" TV around. Maybe we're on an upwards curve and we'll go in to a minor boom period, but it'll take a while unless someone really taps in to the zeitgeist of the time like the Attitude Era did, which is getting increasingly hard to do.

In terms of NXT and AEW, in my opinion it's still way too early to make any sweeping judgements. Pilots always do a lot better than when you're in the swing of it. Take something like Breaking Bad as an example, and look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_Bad#Viewership. This graph shows how even a show with great word of mouth and that built from week to week with a tonne of cliffhangers still generally dipped for the first few episodes of each series. It's the nature of viewing habits. For AEW and NXT, eventually you have to think there will be a levelling out of each show (especially when there isn't stuff like other sports interfering), and then the patterns should carry a little more weight.

I definitely think people are being more forgiving of AEW's numbers that the WWE, but I totally get why. People just want competition or something a big different, especially when the WWE has turned away a lot of its viewership or actively made them feel bad for watching. I also think that pointing fingers at Raw's declining viewership is more credible simply because Raw is a brand that's been established for nearly 25-odd years and therefore they've had plenty of chances to build an audience, whereas NXT and AEW are relatively new outside of IWC circles and therefore are still having to prove they're worthy of people's time.

People's Champion

Status

also AEW has been a company for what.....1 year. WWE and specifically RAW and Smackdown have been around for decades
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I'll definitely take time before AEW grows and their audience but it's not looking good. AEW had lost viewers near enough every week, same with NXT. Both need to start changing some things, clearly.

NXT won this week btw. AEW wasn't good at all. NXT had some fun matches and built to WarGames well enough.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

I'm so behind on both shows, like 3 a piece.

Those numbers are a bit surprising to me, espcially AEW's. I kind of expected that NXT wouldn't sustain the first couple of numbers they did simply because they're associated to WWE and the stench they're carrying at the moment is always going to follow.

I think if NXT was it's own company entirely- it could be very different.

That said- it's early days for both and I guess we will see a more fair reflection in a month or two's time.

In other news, I am going to catch up on NXT for sure because I've heard some things that I want to check out. As for AEW, is it worth me going back and watching the shows I've missed? Or would I be fine watching it from the next upcoming Dynamite episode?

"LET ME IN.."

Status
      Country                    United States

This week's ratings...

AEW: 822,000
    NXT: 813,000

AEW is just barely clinging to the lead now. No doubt NXT invading Raw and Smackdown was huge for attracting more viewers this week. Both shows are up quite a bit this week since there was no World Series to compete against.

Status

AEW has to do a better job of building angles and hooks to get you to tune in next week. Good wrestling matches aren't enough and never have been.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The return rate from the people that left to watch baseball and continued watching after is quite scary. Only 60,000 or so fans came back out of 200,000. I expect it to be better next week now after this week's show and the PPV.

NXT getting a nice boost by showing up on Raw & SD.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    AEW has to do a better job of building angles and hooks to get you to tune in next week. Good wrestling matches aren't enough and never have been.
    They've been killing it with The Elite vs The Inner Circle and Moxley being Moxley the last couple weeks, so I think it's more like the dust just settling from them bursting in as the hot new product. I see NXT overtaking them and AEW chasing just behind them for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Relentless Admin

Status

First week of positive news for NXT since the war began. WWE’s tactic of bringing nxt into the survivor series build is paying off.

AEW will be hoping for better numbers next week coming off the ppv.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    They've been killing it with The Elite vs The Inner Circle and Moxley being Moxley the last couple weeks, so I think it's more like the dust just settling from them bursting in as the hot new product. I see NXT overtaking them and AEW chasing just behind them for a while.
    See I guess that's where I disagree because while both feuds have been fine, I wouldn't say either has been hot enough to get me to tune in week in and week out for fear of missing something. Mox has been single-handedly carrying his feud on the back one great promo and his general aura, and the Elite vs. Inner Circle has generally speaking boiled down to a bunch of clusterfuck brawls. There hasn't been a development in either story of interest, there's never been a week passed by where Omega did something and I HAD to see how Mox was going to respond the next week, or something similar. The one time AEW put that hook into me was at the end of the first episode. I spent all week waiting for the next one to see what Jericho's stable was going to be like, and how anyone else in the company was going to respond to it. Then in week two they literally gave the Inner Circle complete equals right away, so there's not even a compelling mystery week-to-week like "Who can stop The Inner Circle?" We know The Inner Circle can be stopped, every single week a bunch of babyfaces pour out to even the numbers and disable their advantage.

Basically I think they dropped the ball telling good long-term stories in their first month. They're doing standard wrestling feud-building which is fine, but it's not gonna reinvent the wheel or steal back that casual audience that the Attitude Era originally had.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Relentless Admin

Status

I think the Jericho/Cody match has been built up brilliantly, but they have 3 hours of product a week and I feel like there’s barely anything going on in the company aside from inner circle vs elite. Half the card for full gear is cold as ice because there’s been no promos involved in them. Just having 3 1/2 star matches every week doesn’t grab fan interest to tune in next week, this week is a perfect example of how the three main talking points of the show have been Cody’s promo, jerichos video and the post main brawl. It’s just a shame those exciting moments and promos weren’t seen when they were doing over a million viewers.

Curtain Jerker

Status

So I haven't posted in this thread in a few weeks but I have the WNW at a score of 4-2 going to AEW. Thoughts?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information