Thread: Wrestlings greatest debut matches

People's Champion

Status

Wrestlings greatest debut matches

Steventon's idea. And a great idea. What are the best debut matches in wrestling?

heres one that i really liked

Tracey Williams vs Gresham at ROH - Survival of the Fittest 2018 night 1. This was Williams debut in the promotion and had a clinic with Gresham

edit: Heres another Jimmy Yang vs James Gibson at ROH - Joe vs Kobashi 2005
    Last edited by indyfan; 09-25-2019 at 01:09 PM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Wrestlings greatest debut matches

Debuts in companies and general debuts are two different things.

Either way, Ronda Rousey comes to mind straight away.

[Joy To The WC]

Status

If we're talking company debuts, Nakamura never topped his Takeover match with Zayn.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Company debuts:

In WWE it's difficult to look past the Shield, if that counts. All three wrestled on NXT so probably shouldn't count. So I'll go for Ronda's debut which was loads of fun.

Two ones for my favourite ever spring to mind immediately, ironically both featuring the same opponent.

Samoa Joe's ROH debut Vs Low Ki. An incredible debut for a relatively unknown wrestler, but such a good debut that everyone who watched ROH took notice. Ki made Joe look like an absolute star in this.

Kenta's ROH debut Vs Low Ki. Not sure how much this counts because Kenta was more of a special attraction, but I'll leave it here for being an awesome debut in ROH. This was my gateway match to ROH that I'd show to friends trying to get into it in the mid 00s. This is a slightly better match than Joe Vs Ki, but as a debut and long term impact I think Joe's ROH debut is my favourite ever

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Company debuts:

In WWE it's difficult to look past the Shield, if that counts. All three wrestled on NXT so probably shouldn't count. So I'll go for Ronda's debut which was loads of fun.

Two ones for my favourite ever spring to mind immediately, ironically both featuring the same opponent.

Samoa Joe's ROH debut Vs Low Ki. An incredible debut for a relatively unknown wrestler, but such a good debut that everyone who watched ROH took notice. Ki made Joe look like an absolute star in this.

Kenta's ROH debut Vs Low Ki. Not sure how much this counts because Kenta was more of a special attraction, but I'll leave it here for being an awesome debut in ROH. This was my gateway match to ROH that I'd show to friends trying to get into it in the mid 00s. This is a slightly better match than Joe Vs Ki, but as a debut and long term impact I think Joe's ROH debut is my favourite ever

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    i love that Kenta vs Lowki match. Its also my favourite Lowki match.

i used companies so it gave people more options
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Relentless Admin

Status

Nakamura is the name that springs to mind because he debuted with a MOTYC in many people's eyes and for those that never saw him in New Japan, it was a star making performance. Also on the NXT front, Ricochet debuted in the 6 way ladder match at Takeover NOLA and his very first move was that crazy dive off the ladder.

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    Bulgaria

WAKE UP

Status

As far as recent history goes, The Shield and Nakamura's WWE debuts definitely are two of the best.

I don't think you could count KENTA vs Ki, KENTA was never an actual roster member for ROH. It was a special attraction match.

I was about to post Psicosis vs Rey from Bash at The Beach, but I didn't realize Psicosis had a 5 minute TV match with Konnan on WCW TV months before that. Random.

Will try think of some more from ECW/WCW/WWE/TNA later, but from Japan I'd give you:

Jun Akiyama's debut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdY5-pCnC8g

One of the all time greatest rookies ever

Go Shiozaki's debut match is also up there as well. It's with Honda vs Akiyama & Hashi, those who know where to find it know where to find it.

Relentless Admin

Status

Jon Moxley's debut in New Japan was the Juice title match that was very good and a refreshing change both for him and New Japan.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Steenerico vs The Briscoes - ROH early 2007.

I’d count this as a tag debut, since Steen and Generico had worked a few low profile tryout singles matches. But the success of this match kept them on the roster and launched two of ROH’s best workers, arguably ROH’s most well known tag feud, and lead to some classic matches including the first (possibly best) Ladder War. I know Steen and Generico had high status in PWG, but their exposure to the audience that would make them stars probably begins with them killing it in this on paper throwaway midcard tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I was about to post Psicosis vs Rey from Bash at The Beach, but I didn't realize Psicosis had a 5 minute TV match with Konnan on WCW TV months before that. Random.
    I'd count it as Psychosis' WCW debut. When he worked Clash of the Champions, he wasn't under contract.

Speaking of Psychosis vs Mysterio, their ECW debut match at Gangsta's Paradise is a great shout out too. Especially in the case of Mysterio, you have a guy that the ECW crowd initially heckled due to resembling a Power Ranger, but by the end of the match, the fans were in love with the guy.

Squash Fodder

Status
      Country                    United States

I would throw in Jericho's debut in the WWF. The crowd went nuts for Y2J and his back and forth with The Rock was amazing.

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    I would throw in Jericho's debut in the WWF. The crowd went nuts for Y2J and his back and forth with The Rock was amazing.
    That wasn't a match

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

More moment than match, but Nexus's was jaw-droppingly great.

Understated, but honorable mentions, as well as technically cheating as both suggestions here take place within two moments/matches within the same night, but Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens? Sami debuting in NXT by beating Curt Hawkins, then coming out the same night to accept a challenge by Cesaro and score an upset win establishes his babyface never-back-down character, and Kevin debuting at a Takeover, beating CJ Parker and having his nose nearly broken to a chorus of cheers, only to end the night by stabbing Sami Zayn in the back after Zayn's NXT Championship win, establishes his own backstabbing prizefighter character too.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

Heel Champion

Status

I know things took a major turn for the worse with him and that he's far from anyone's fave wrestler. But I was always a fan of this debut.

Thread Information