Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Fright Fest 11 - Franken Berry Turns Your Poop Pink

American Ninja

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Fright Fest 11 - Franken Berry Turns Your Poop Pink

Really dug your review for Halloween 3 and also dug the Blob double feature this year. Other than that though not much else this go round that I'm interested in or familiar with. Still a fan though. Whole reason I got a plat this month was to show support to Fright Fest.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 10-31-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Day #31a
    Title: Phantasm
    Year: 1979
    Director: Don Coscarelli

After the death of his brother's friend, Michael begins to suspect that a mortician has a sinister plan to take over the town through the corpses of his victims.

The 1979 cult classic, Phantasm, is not only a mind blowing film experience filled with such sights as flying metallic spheres that stab into you, shooting out all of your blood, but it’s also a movie that I believe that the viewer must what they wish to believe is real and what is mere fabrication. To try and attempt to watch Phantasm while believing everything shown is what’s really happening is a one way trip to pure confusion.

I believe I first watched Phantasm back around 2001, giving it a fresh re-watch every couple of years. With each watch, it’s so easy to interpret events in the film in a different light. In my case, the last time I watched Phantasm, I began to explore my own theory of what the movie was truly about. This latest re-watch only further re-enforces my beliefs on what’s happening. The single most important scene in the entire film is a scene that in my early watches, I blew off as a total filler scene, delaying the film from exploring the plot further. In the scene, Michael visits an old psychic to try and get insight on what’s been happening in his life. In the scene, two important things are said to Michael - “Fear is the killer. That's what Grandmother wants you to learn” and “It was all in your mind.” It is my belief that the film is telling the viewer that much of what you’re about to witness is just in the mind of Michael. Meanwhile, all of those delusions in Michael’s mind is created solely due to Michael’s fears. If Michael could just control his fears, he would be able to avoid all of the horrifying events that supposedly took place in the movie.

At the core of Michael’s problem is that he's a kid who has unfortunately been put through the ringer quite badly over the last couple of years. He lost both parents two years ago and at some point prior to the start of Phantasm, I believe he lost his older brother, Jody, as well. At his age, he’s unable to process all of this and it’s caused him to have some bizarre delusions. Michael’s delusions are interconnected with events that Michael is going through in real life, but also events Michael’s shown going through that aren’t horror based are still delusions. If that makes any sense whatsoever.

For starters, there’s Michael’s tinkering with Jody’s car. At the end of the film, Reggie tells Michael that Jody died in an automobile accident. I believe that’s what really happened. In the delusions where Jody is still alive, Michael is often shown working on Jody’s car as a way of trying to keep the car working properly so that Jody can avoid getting into an accident. This is also directly connected to Michael always following Jody, refusing to let Jody out of his sight. There’s a possibility that while Jody was still alive, Michael was a typical annoying younger brother that followed Jody around a lot. In the delusions though, Michael follows Jody because as long as he’s able to maintain surveillance on his brother, Jody can’t leave him and die. Perhaps had Michael remained next to Jody in his delusions, Michael could continue to live in his fake reality rather than realize the truth about Jody, but then go the next two films still believing in his other delusions.

Then there’s the delusions regarding The Tall Man. As iconic of a character as The Tall Man is, I believe he’s nothing more than a normal, run of the mill mortician. The problem is that Michael’s entire experience with this mortician is that he’s only there during Michael’s worst moments. The mortician was there when Michael’s parents died and he was there again when Jody passed away. The mortician only shows up when Michael’s life is a living hell. Does it not make sense that if Michael is going to start having a mental breakdown that he’ll see the mortician as something far more sinister than he really is? In Michael’s mind, if the mortician is going to be involved in all of his worst moments, then Michael’s delusions will transform the mortician into a proper villain who is plotting on stealing all of the dead bodies in town in order to turn them into his loyal minions.

I’m left wondering if Michael is a fan of science fiction. So much about what’s happening in his delusions are built around sci-fi elements. The hooded shrunken minions are literally dressed like Jawas in Star Wars. A film that had only come out two years prior to Phantasm’s release. Those badass flying killer spheres? Seems like something straight out of a sci-fi movie as well. Michael being a sci-fi geek would even explain why he “Discovers” that The Tall Man is an alien that has conquered another planet already.

Then there’s the curious case of Reggie. In a film where Jody, someone I believe was dead before the events of the film even took place, was never technically shown being killed, Reggie has the complete opposite fate. Twice in Phantasm, Reggie is believed to be killed only to keep popping up alive, including at the very end of the film to reveal to Michael that Jody’s dead. I believe Reggie is killed off multiple times in Michael’s delusions because Michael has already lost his family. All he has left in his is Reggie. As a result, Michael’s greatest fear, and fear is a huge theme of Phantasm, is losing Reggie just as he’s lost everyone else in his life. When I think about it some, it’s pretty depressing. Michael is already deluded into believing that his dead brother is still alive, but here he is often falsely believing that Reggie is dying.

Since so little shown in the film I believe is actually true, there’s a lot of smaller things that have explanations as well. The whole portal to The Tall Man’s other planet resembling a tuning fork? Makes sense since Michael has likely seen Reggie use a normal tuning fork at various points and for whatever reason, his delusions attached that as way for Reggie to partially save the day. That wacky way in which Michael used hammer and an ammunition to escaped his locked bedroom door? The reason why it seems so unrealistic is because it is! Michael never escaped a room using such a tactic. I imagine there’s a specific reason in which The Tall Man is made out to have issues with cold temperatures when he walked passed Reggie’s ice cream truck, but I can’t quite figure it out. Maybe it’s another way in which to give Reggie a means of stopping Michael’s own created villain?

Overall, I recognize that this review was less of a traditional review and more of a deep dive into explaining my theory on Phantasm. However, that’s the sign of a great movie when you’ve seen it so many times, that you find this whole new area of the film to discuss and think about despite it all being theories. I find that I’m enjoying Phantasm more and more with each additional watch because I’m able to get more out of the film with each additional watch. Phantasm is a movie that stays fresh for me due to an amazing score that could very well be my favorite horror theme of all time, Angus Scrimm’s iconic performance as The Tall Man, and trying to pick up on more clues to make sense of this crazy tale.

Grade: A

Fright in Motion:

Spoiler:

---

Coming soon, the power of God compels you to join us for the final review of Fright Fest 11.

American Ninja

Status

Well that might be my favorite review ever. Excellent read

Because Halloween isn't over until the sun rises on November 1st!

Day #31b
    Title: The Exorcist
    Year: 1973
    Director: William Friedkin

It’s The Exorcist. You know damn well what The Exorcist is about.

When the discussion of the greatest horror film comes up, especially from more official sources, there’s one film that I see listed at #1 more than any other film. Even with just the word of mouth talks of the scariest movies ever, the same movie often gets named with a handful of scenes pointed at as examples for why it was the scariest. In 1973, William Friedkin not only created what some believe is the greatest horror film of all time, but also one of the most influential horror movies ever.

Despite the amazing reputation of The Exorcist, just the fact that a horror movie was nominated for ten Oscars that year’s Academy Awards is incredible, I’d be lying if I said that it’s a film that I enjoy every minute of. There’s a lot of time devoted to Father Merrin in Northern Iraq that has always felt like a chore to sit through. The earliest scenes with Father Karras and dealing with the loss of his mother aren’t that much more enjoyable for me, although it does give the character greater depth. Meanwhile, the scenes with Chris MacNeil and her young daughter, Regan, are my favorite in the first forty minutes just because juxtaposition between this cheerful, sweet girl and what she will become later on in the film adds to the horrifying results of the possession. Still, for me, the real enjoyment of The Exorcist for me doesn’t begin until the infamous dinner party highlighted by one drunken jerk, Burke Dennings, being hilarious in how badly he’s making a fool of himself for his racist remarks and of course, Regan’s chilling proclamation that an astronaut at the party was, “...gonna die up there” before then urinating on the carpet.

From that point on, that unexpected scene kicked off a whirlwind of events. Especially in the middle of the film, there’s a great frustration regarding the plot with how Chris realizes that there’s something greatly wrong with her daughter, but none of the doctors are recognizing how grave of trouble young Regan is in. Chris was given the runaround with one silly excuse after excuse of what could be the source of Regan’s problems. This aspect of the film is likely the most identifiable for the viewers. How many of us will deal with someone close to us being possessed by a demon? But, how many will feel not being taken serious enough when we’re in need of help? The irony is that The Exorcist shows the public dismissiveness of the possibility of real demonic possession due to the growing awareness of mental illness, but in the near fifty years since the release of The Exorcist, how far has society truly come in terms of fully helping out those with mental illness?

The Exorcist, of course, is incredibly memorable due to a number of shocking scenes of Regan possessed. The scene that shocked me the most with this latest scene is when Chris walked in on her daughter stabbing herself in the crotch with a crucifix. Although I had vague memories of the scene, I do not remember it being as bloody as it actually was. It’s a brutal scene. On my Blu-Ray copy of The Exorcist, it contains two discs, the one being of the director’s cut and the other the original theatrical cut. I can’t recall ever putting in the theatrical disc because I can’t imagine watching The Exorcist without seeing that crazy spider walk down the stairs complete with the blood. Both head turn moments are iconic, as is the pea green vomiting scene. Even though there’s plenty of memorable lines in the film, the constant shouting of “The power of God compels you…” in the final act is what I always think of first for memorable quotes. Is it any wonder that I’m bored watching the first forty minutes when the film has constantly incredibly memorable scenes after that?

While The Exorcist is often proclaimed as the scariest movie of all time, is it actually scary? I think that I’m at a disadvantage when it comes to being frightened by the film. I’m not a parent nor am I religious. Forget about everything about the specific possession, everything Chris goes through with her daughter has to be terrifying for any parent to watch. Chris is absolutely hopeless in her attempts to help Regan. Not only is Chris incapable of helping Regan, but she’s struggling so much to try and find proper help for Regan. Swap out demonic possession for a terminal disease and what Chris goes through is the absolute worst thing that a parent is forced to endure. If you’re someone who has a great sense of faith, especially being Catholic, I can also see The Exorcist being terrifying because, in theory, you believe that a film like The Exorcist could happen in reality in terms of the devil, or more specifically a demon like our buddy Pazuzu, letting evil enter our world.

If those two aspects aren’t able to work on me, I suppose that means I don’t find The Exorcist to be scary. However, it is an incredibly well made film. The arrival of Father Merrin at Chris’ house on a dark, foggy night is such a classic image in cinema. It’s a good reminder of the importance of what lies in the fog, best exemplified in The Wolf Man. I find the movie unnerving due to how hopeless the situation feels. Once the possession begins to take ahold of Regan, no one seems to have much luck in controlling the situation. Even when you think that you have some semblance of control over the possession, it becomes clear that Pazuzu finds humor and entertainment in playing with your emotions. The scene late in the movie in which Father Karras walks back into Regan’s bedroom to find Marrin dead and an unrestrained possessed Regan in the corner of the bed, giggling to itself is the closest that I find the movie to be scary. In that moment, you know that the demon doesn’t have to remain on the bed, in the room, or even the house. It does so because it’s enjoying the fun, fun that includes killing now two people after the mysterious off screen death of my favorite drunken fool, Burke.

For 1973, the stunts performed in The Exorcist still stands out for its quality. Even though you know that the head turn is an easy trick to show on film, it’s still one of the most legendary shock moments in movies. The score is also wonderful with the main theme being legitimately scary. Turn that theme on at night when you’re alone and you’re going to be creeped out. His role isn’t huge and I could argue he could be entirely written out without altering the story much, but I loved the character of Lt. Kinderman. While he’s busy investigating the mysterious death of Burke, he shows off his personality of being a movie geek by constantly inviting people to go to the movies with him because he has free passes. However, since Kinderman is a bit of an annoying man, no one ever takes him up on his offer. Poor guy. At the very end of the film, there’s a sweet moment between Regan and Father Dyer. While Dyer wasn’t technically involved in the exorcism, he did play a vital role in hooking Chris up with Karris, who finally gave Chris some help when the medical professionals could not. According to Chris, Regan doesn’t remember anything about her time being possessed by Pazuzu, but once Regan spots the clerical collar that Dyer wears, something seems to click in her mind, remembering seeing the same collar with the two men that gave their lives trying to help her. Giving Dyer a quick kiss on the cheek is the closest that Regan will be able to come in thanking Merrin and Karras. Considering the film has so much evil attached to it, it’s nice to see a little love displayed in that sweet moment. Finally, there’s those stairs. The most legendary staircase in film history. I love that the stairs have some character. Even though there’s nothing outwardly creepy about them, I find them ominous nonetheless. I suppose it’s because the lack of light fixtures brightening the stairs up and being stuck between two buildings adds to that darkness. If you were a resident of that area, I can see a little fear in having to use those stairs at night, not knowing if you were entirely safe similarly to walking down a dark alley.

Overall, The Exorcist is a horror classic. I don’t see an argument in how you can dispute that particularly due to all of the respect in which it garners. Even if you hate the film, as long as you love horror, there’s a fondness for this movie because it’s a rare horror that everyone A. Considers worthy of awards and accolades and B. Fully admit that it’s a horror movie. The Exorcist isn’t a case of Jaws, Silence of the Lambs, or more recent examples such as Jordan Peele’s Get Out, where critics are willing to give the film praise, but only in exchange for stripping away its horror classification. The start of the film is slow and for me dull, but once the action begins, it’s one incredibly memorable scene after another leading to one of the most well known culminations in horror. As a demon once said, “What an excellent day for an exorcism.”

Grade: A

Fright in Motion:

Spoiler:

---

With November now here, thus concludes another edition of Fright Fest. Thank-you to all that have stopped by at any point in the month to participate or even to just read the reviews.

American Ninja

Status

Another excellent review and a beautiful way to wrap up this year's Fright Fest. I watched Exorcist for the first time in maybe 15 years last year on Halloween night. No movies scare me anymore but there is something about this movie, growing up in a religious family I've been trained at a young age to believe that something REALLY bad is going to happen to me for watching this so that was a pretty creepy feeling this movie drummed up. I watched Exorcist III last night I was into it up to a certain point, I'm a huge Brad Dourif fan and he was great in it but at some point the movie lost me and I started to fall asleep so I didn't get to finish it.

I felt like this was a down year for Fright Fest up until the last day, those 2 reviews to finish were my favorite you have ever done, really enjoyed reading both of these.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Way too many foreign films this year
    Really dug your review for Halloween 3 and also dug the Blob double feature this year. Other than that though not much else this go round that I'm interested in or familiar with. Still a fan though. Whole reason I got a plat this month was to show support to Fright Fest.
    I felt like this was a down year for Fright Fest up until the last day, those 2 reviews to finish were my favorite you have ever done, really enjoyed reading both of these.
    I really wanted to touch on these criticisms, but I hope that I can come across as being reasonable instead of defensive. Just the fact that you've read a single Fright Fest review makes me very appreciative. In your case, you've been participating in Fright Fest threads since Fright Fest 7 back in 2015. So in the words of Philip DeFranco, I love yo face.

Reading these criticisms though bums me out. If the problem of Fright Fest 11 is that the writing was below par or I just didn't find enough interesting topics to discuss with each movie, then that's fair. That's just my limitations as a writer and can be used as exhibit A for why I've never been paid a dime for writing. If that's all it is, let me know and I can accept it pretty easily after I crawl up into the fetal position while sucking on my thumb in the corner. There have been reviews over the years where I've been left frustrated because the words don't flow out of me. Sometimes the thoughts pour out of me with such ease, whether the writing is actually good or not, but there's been a handful of times where it was a struggle to figure out what to talk about and I'm just left with a review that I'm neither proud of nor am I sure of what I can even do to fix it. That's life though. However, based on your comments on foreign movies, which I originally thought was a sassy joke and the general statement on not caring or being familiar with many of the movies I covered this year, my impression is that my writing quality isn't what you're crediting as causing Fright Fest 11 to be a down year. If that's the case, that leaves me frustrated, but I'd like to make a plea for Fright Fest in general and my selections this month.

I'm going to put this next part in a spoiler tag because it's just a long list, but I can honestly say that I'm proud of every selection this month. Whether the movies were good or bad, I feel as if I had a reason for covering them. A refresher for what I've covered in Fright Fest 11:

Spoiler:

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006) - Although not requested this year, I'm pretty positive that it's been requested in the past. Besides being a movie I really liked when it first came out, it's one I've been meaning to re-watch for ages. One of the unplanned themes for Fright Fest 11 ended up being a look at the meta self referential horror films. This happened to be one of them, along with Scream, Scream 2, and The Cabin in the Woods. I love it whenever a Fright Fest can have a small theme to help that year stand out some similarly to how Fright Fest 10 had the theme of the Puppet Master series. On top of all that, Behind the Mask was also the most rewarding review I had this month due to two posters saying that they were wanting to see the movie now because it sounded interesting to them. That's fucking awesome, whether they've watched it yet or if they ever will. It's rewarding to hear someone is interested in checking something out before of your recommendation.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage - It's Dario Argento, Giallo, foreign, and a first time watch that I've been meaning to watch for years. So glad I included it this year.

The Blob/The Blob Remake - Both were requests, but I also liked being able to look at an original and then its remake in one year. I've done it at various points over the years including in Fright Fest 8 with The Hitcher and its awful remake. It makes a tiny theme that stands out in the month.

The Cabin in the Woods - A sorta request, but also fit into the meta self referential theme of the year. Much like Behind the Mask, it's also a movie I've been meaning to re-watch for ages.

Castle Freak - HP fucking Lovecraft. I love trying to include some of these classic horror icons into Fright Fest, whether it's a Lovecraft movie, trying to figure out how to include a Vincent Price movie, or even something Poe related. Throw in the fact that there's going to be a remake next year, maybe I added a bit of awareness for this movie to help it next year. Another movie I've been meaning to watch for ages.

Child's Play - I love trying to do full franchises with Fright Fest. Whether it's doing them all in one year or slowly adding to the franchise with multiple Fright Fests. Since I previously completed the franchise in Fright Fest 9, it made perfect sense to re-complete the franchise thanks to a new entry being released this year. It was also a request.

Corpse Bride - Variety is a huge goal of Fright Fest, which I imagine I'll be talking about more later. It's a big reason why I created this themed day for every edition of Fright Fest. Every year now, you know that there's going to be at least one movie covered that's appropriate for the full family. Was this year's movie any good? No, but it still fit the theme for the day. Besides, it's not as if there haven't been duds on family friendly horror days in the past. I'm still having nightmares over Halloweentown II. A Fright Fest without a family friendly horror would be a massive disappointment to me.

Creepshow Ep 1 - Again, variety. At least one day of covering horror TV means one day of Fright Fest is different from the rest. After retiring Tales from the Creep last year, it's nice to find something very similar to cover this year. Not to mention that for horror fans, the release of the Creepshow TV series was a big deal.

The Deadly Mantis - I try to cover at least one old Universal horror movie every year since finishing the big ones some years ago. This wasn't a great one, but I am slowly making my way through the Universal Horrors catalog.

Death Line - Not only is it foreign, but it's a non-Halloween Donald Pleasence movie. Awesome!

The Exorcist - One of the biggest horror movies that had been skipped over for years. Again, variety is important to me so there was a reason why The Exorcist hadn't been covered until now. There's one less huge horror classic to cover in future Fright Fests.

Freaks - A request and one I've been meaning to watch for years. Throw in the fact that it's an old movie and it was all the more enticing.

Halloween III - A request and also serves the role of adding another Halloween movie to Fright Fest.

The Hole in the Ground - A request, foreign, and a 2019 movie I've been needing to watch for my end of the year top ten.

Ils - A foreign horror that I've been meaning to re-watch for years. It's one of my biggest recommendations from Europe in the 2000s.

Jigsaw - Awful movie, but it was requested and like Child's Play, served the role of allowing me to re-complete a franchise covered.

The Last House on the Left - Although I had thought about making it a bigger theme, Fright Fest 11 had a tiny theme of looking at Wes Craven with Last House, Scream, and Scream 2. He's someone I'd like to cover at least one movie per year.

The Little Monsters - Another unintentional theme for Fright Fest 11 were zombies and how recent zombie movies tries to find little twists to keep their film feeling fresh. I also liked covering a movie that debuted on a major streaming service, in this case Hulu.

Midsommar - A request and a big movie I needed to watch for my end of the year top ten.

Office Uprising - A request and was another zombie/infected movie that fit that theme for this year.

One Cut of the Dead - It's only happened a couple of times, but it's a blast when I watch a movie for the first time and love it enough that I don't want to give away spoilers when reviewing it. This also happened with What Have You Done to Solange some years ago. This film also unofficially kicked off the theme of zombies for Fright Fest 11 and is currently my #1 horror of the year.

Phantasm - A request that I believe has been requested multiple times over the years. It's not quite a horror classic that had been skipped over like The Exorcist, but the lack of coverage for it did stand out a bit. While I didn't end up covering the full Phantasm series like I considered for Halloween day, it does allow me to cover the other movies in future installments of Fright Fest.

Pontypool - I could be wrong, but I feel like it was requested in a past Fright Fest. It's a Canadian film, which appealed to me since that country sometimes gets overlooked in recent Fright Fests and a movie that I've been meaning to re-watch for years. It's yet another addition to the zombie theme.

Rubber - It was requested.

Scream/Scream 2 - The Scream franchise has been the most glaring omission for any franchise in Fright Fest. Yet, despite being such a big series, only one person has ever requested a Scream movie to be covered and that was years ago. These two fit the Wes Craven mini-theme and played a big role in the self referential theme. While I didn't get around to covering Scream 3 and 4, they're now solid picks to cover in Fright Fest 12 or beyond.

Taste the Blood of Dracula - Slowly making my way through the Hammer Dracula series. Whether it's the Hammer Dracula and/or Frankenstein series, I want to cover at least one movie per Fright Fest until I'm done. It just occurs to me now that there's a tiny Christopher Lee theme this year with Taste the Blood of Dracula, Corpse Bride, and Death Line. Cool.

Villmark - I've been very supportive of Norwegian horror throughout Fright Fest. I'll talk about this more later in the post, but I want to keep watching these Norwegian horror movies. This one wasn't great, but it was important.

The Visit - A requested film.

Wolf Creek - A foreign film from the Oceania area that can be a little tricky picking out movies from when I try to go around the world. It's also a movie I've had a a strong connection with, which I think any time I'm able to express my passion in a movie in a review, it makes it better.

Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key - A request, a Giallo, and foreign. Perfect.

Variety is the most important thing in Fright Fest to me. You can go back to the very first post in Fright Fest 2008 and I'm talking about the different types of horror movies I was wanting to cover that year. Variety is not only good for the reader since not everyone is going to be interested in one type of horror, but it's a way to keep things interesting for me.

One of your criticisms was that you weren't familiar with every movie I've covered this year, but that's what I want. I never want any reader to look at an edition of Fright Fest and be aware of every single movie prior to my coverage. Even someone like Fuji Vice, who watches a zillion movies, I want at least a couple of movies he's not familiar with either. This goes for me too. A part of the reason why movies like The Exorcist or Scream have taken forever to finally be covered in Fright Fest is because I never wanted to only review movies I've seen a million times. Especially on social media, you can find a bunch of people's 31 Days of Halloween where they list off every movie they plan on watching for each day of October, but a lot of the lists come across as boring to me because they're only creating lists of really well known horror classics. As I said about Behind the Mask, I love recommending horror movies to people. If someone has read Fright Fest from the start, they've witnessed my own introduction to so many types of horror. Early on, it was just diving into Universal Monsters, most of which was for the very first time. Then it was watching Hammer further my horror knowledge. In the last few years, it's watching a lot of Norwegian horror. Fright Fest has been an excuse for me to introduce myself to loads of different horror. If I stuck to just horror I knew well, Fright Fest would be boring for me.

Regarding your original comment about there being too much foreign horror, this may be the criticism where I feel the most passive aggressive about. The reality is that Fright Fest has never been intended to be a showcase for American horror only. I feel as if I've stressed this from the very start. The original post in Fright Fest 2008 made mention of wanting to cover Japanese and Mexican films. The very first film ever reviewed in Fright Fest was Japanese. In fact, out of the first four days of Fright Fest, only one film had been American. In Fright Fest 2-3, I had unofficial foreign horror weeks where I insured that every day was covering a different country. Whether it's covering the J-Horror, England's Hammer franchise, Norwegian horror, ect, there's always that intention of covering foreign horror. After a disappointing lack of foreign horror in 2017, I went out of my way to create an around the world theme for Fright Fest 10 where I covered at least two movies per continent for those continents that were possible. If you're someone who has little interest in foreign horror, then I'm sorry, but foreign horror has been one of the foundations for Fright Fest from the start. I'd be more likely to stop doing Fright Fest than to make the conscious effort of not covering foreign horror anymore. If you want to feel better about Fright Fest 11, I'll let you in on something I seriously considered briefly back in September. I was considering making Fright Fest 11 have the month long theme of "Eurovision", where each day was dedicated to a different European country. See, don't you feel better about the amount of foreign horror you got with Fright Fest 11 now?

I never talk about my personal life on WC, but part of the reason why I'm proud of Fright Fest 11 is because there's been something going on in my personal life since mid month, but I've been able to stick with Fright Fest. Although everything going on in my personal life caused me to lose my few movie lead I had going at the start of the month, I ended up not having a single late review until day #29. Even then, the most late a review was was only a little over seven hours. Compare that to the disaster that was Fright Fest 2008, I'm pleased with myself.

If this wasn't a Fright Fest that you enjoyed, I am sincerely sorry especially since you've been a long time reader, but I also think it's the sort of Fright Fest that I'm proud of doing. I'm also struggling to see what makes Fright Fest 11 different from other years. This type of variety is the sort I think I always do. Over the years, there's certainly been movies where I knew no one would have interest in watching, but ultimately, the poster I have to entertain the most is myself. If a movie like Villmark only appeals to me, then it has some value. As much as I'd like for readers to be interested in as many movies as I cover as possible, which is why I ask for requests, I need to be interested too or Fright Fest won't exist.

American Ninja

Status

Youre doing good man just keep in mind who you are dealing with here, im a lapsed horror fan, October is the only time I ever even watch horror movies and I only like old stuff, I detest newer horror movies with a passion. Take my criticism with a grain of salt bro, like I think Cabin In The Woods is millennial shite. The new chucky and saw movies?! Nah I'm good. The foreign stuff doesnt even look remotely interesting to me. Its just my opinion. Just like your opinions of taking a dump on Return Of The Living Dead and Maximum Overdrive before raving about Scooby Doo, I still love the way you write reviews its like some of your reviews make the movie better, Phantasm and Halloween 4 for example. You did good dog I just felt like past editions were better for what I like. That doesnt mean this was a bad one, Halloween 3, Scream, LHOTL, Blob, and the Halloween day reviews were your best. I didn't know you were going through personal issues man I know how that goes, I'm glad you manages to keep this going and thank god you didnt do all euro lol. Dont gloss over the positive things ive said man Fright Fest does rule
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 11-01-2019 at 11:01 AM.

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Jim you did a great job as always. Happy that you saved Phantasm for the final day and I loved your Exorcist review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I enjoyed all the reviews this year as well, and wish I had more time to comment. I'll probably come back to a few of them next week to try and continue some discussion.

Thanks for running this again Jim, it's always a blast.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Robert De Niro Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

American Ninja

Status

whoops wrong thread don't know what the hell happened
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 11-02-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Another great Fright Fest, wish I could have commented more. The Phantasm review specifically was great, even had my wife read it as we watched it earlier this year and it was her first time watching it and she didn't really enjoy it. After reading your review she's gonna give it another watch. As always there's a couple I haven't seen that I'll be checking out, Pontypool specifically I've seen the cover for a couple times and passed on it so I'll finally give it a watch.
    Also I haven't watched Scream in years and you really made me want to revisit it.

Heel Champion

Status

Just want to say, after seeing your review. I went out of my way to watch Little Monsters today as it premiered on SKY. Really enjoyed it Jim! movie isn't what I'd really class as a horror, but I agree it's a lot of fun and surprisingly heart warming.

[Joy To The WC]

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Just want to say, after seeing your review. I went out of my way to watch Little Monsters today as it premiered on SKY. Really enjoyed it Jim! movie isn't what I'd really class as a horror, but I agree it's a lot of fun and surprisingly heart warming.
    This, proper good laugh too. Made up for the disappointment that was Anna and the Apocalypse

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information