Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Fright Fest 11 - Franken Berry Turns Your Poop Pink

Squash Fodder

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Fright Fest 11 - Franken Berry Turns Your Poop Pink

I have one last request if it's not too late, bro. M. Night Shymaladingdong's The Visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Jim thank you for reviewing The Last House On the Left and reading what you said about the Film made me want to see the film for the first time. Now I've seen the remake and the Daughter surviving in the remake and them having a better result vs in this one Mari is dead adding to the fuel of her family wanting to get revenge with Krug and his buddies I'll take the original more no doubt. Truly disturbing to watch like in said especially when Mari, and Phyllis are being abused to the point I was damn I wish I could do something. I'm happy as fuck to see Krug and Company get theirs in the end just as the Cops show up late to the Party. It gets people talking if a loved one of yours was raped and abused like Mari was would you take it your hands or have Cops deal with them.
    Does that mean you've now watched the original or is it that you're only wanting to with some assumptions being made?

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Last night I watched One Cut of the Dead and I'm glad I dug in after the first 30 to 40 Minutes because I was like what I'm I watching. After you get the Story on how they got to that point of Shooting etc it was a so funny to see one of the most dysfunctional group of people put together a film.
    It's certainly a movie that is constantly changing, with each new "Version" adding more fun to the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    I have one last request if it's not too late, bro. M. Night Shymaladingdong's The Visit.
    It's still fine to be throwing in requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice via rep
    Which version did you find with talking? The one I rememebr seeing was a silent movie.
    If you're referring to The Unknown, I'm just going off of the IMDb page that cites it as having English language. Even if there are some versions with some talking, I imagine it still very much so resembles a silent movie.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Oh I saw the film and I'm appreciative that your words made me finally see it rather than saying to myself for ages to check it out when I get time. I'll check out Freaks and Wolf Creek in the coming days also films I've never before.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

Busy week so I'm way behind on this, but a few quick thoughts Last house on the Left I was never a fan of, I might have to give it another shot but the first two times watching it I just couldn't get into it. I remember it feeling all over the place and not making a lot of sense but it's been a good 10 years since I've watched it now.
    One Cut of the Dead sounds interesting, I might even ad it to my own horror movie month right now. I 100% thought when freaks was requested it was the new movie that just came out, this one doesn't interest me a whole lot, might give it a shot some other time during the year.
    So glad you did Wolf Creek, your experience seeing it is very similar to mine, almost exact in fact. Probably the same reason I'm a big fan of the movie as well, it doesn't get mentioned enough.
    Bird with the Crystal Plumage, is pretty awesome I only saw it for the first time because of this site, thanks to Fuji suggesting it during the 1970 fave 5. Very cool movie and probably my favorite Argento movie.

Day #06
    Title: Taste the Blood of Dracula
    Year: 1970
    Director: Peter Sasdy

After three men are left bored by life, they take up the offer of a satanist to add some excitement to their lives by resurrecting the legendary Dracula.

Over time, a tradition has formed each October as I slowly make my way through the big Hammer franchises. It’s the only time of the year that I watch the Frankenstein and Dracula franchises and because I’m typing up reviews for the movies, I’m able to look back to easily remind myself how I felt about a particular movie. Depending on how you view the Hammer Dracula series, Taste the Blood of Dracula is either the fourth or the fifth film. Considering I skipped the Dracula-less The Brides of Dracula, I consider Taste the Blood of Dracula as being the fourth time out for the franchise. As it turns out, a theme is starting to develop in this Dracula series. The odd number films in the franchise are the standouts while the even number ones are the disappointments.

The premise of Taste the Blood of Dracula is actually quite good. It centers around three rich men, who are secretly engaged in a club of sorts that even their families are unaware of, as they try to entertain themselves by diving into the world of debauchery. This means going out night to get drunk and visit “Gentleman’s clubs”. Alas, even the finest hookers are starting to lose its appeal. This all changes when they come across a known satanist by the name of Lord Courtley. The mere notion that Courtley could help them experience something new and exciting is too good of an offer to pass up, despite the fact that Courtley’s plan is to bring Dracula back to life.

That plays into the beginning of the film as a shop keep happens to stumble across the site of Dracula impaled on a large crucifix, dying at the end of the previous film, Dracula has Risen from the Grave. The shop keep manages to pick up all of Dracula’s important items including a vial of Dracula’s now powdery blood. With Courtley and the trio obtaining all of Dracula’s items and summoning his return, things seemingly go wrong as Courtley’s body rejects his attempt to drink the liquefied blood of Dracula, with the trio opting to kill Courtley rather than deal with his pleas for help. After the trio left the corpse behind, Dracula is re-born from Courtley, his servant’s corpse. Now Dracula is hellbent on revenge on the trio for daring to kill his servant. I think the implication is that one of the trio was supposed to be sacrificed, not Courley. Regardless, this premise is great on paper. It’s always tricky trying to figure out a natural way to bring back Dracula since he’s always killed off, but Taste the Blood of Dracula features the most compelling way that Dracula returned.

The downfall is that the structure is all wrong. The film spent so much time in the first half on the main member of the trio - William Hargood. Hargood is such an unlikable grouch that he actually stands out as the biggest villain of the movie. He’s a terrible alcoholic, far too possessive on his daughter, Alice, to the point that he attempts to abuse her after she dares to go out to a party with her love interest, Paul, who is actually the son of Samuel, one of the other members of the trio! Although we spent all of this time learning about Hargood, he’s the first target of Dracula. Once Dracula possess Alice to kill her father, we’re just left with these other two members of the trio, two men that we know so little about. In fact, regarding the last member of the three to be killed, Jonathan Secker, I was completely unaware that he was the father of Jeremy, who was dating Paul’s sister, Lucy, until just before Jonathan's death. With the exception of the Hargoods, everyone felt so underdeveloped.

According to IMDb trivia, Taste the Blood of Dracula was originally not even going to include Dracula. Not that it would have been out of the norm since as I already mentioned, there’s been one non-Dracula Dracula film in the Hammer series. Before production could begin though, Christopher Lee was convinced to reprise his iconic role. As much as I love Lee, getting him to agree to be apart of the movie was a mistake in my eyes. His reasoning for revenge was already pretty clunky. Wouldn’t it have made far more sense for Lord Courtley to be re-born and seek out revenge? Much like in the disappointing, Dracula: Prince of Darkness, Lee may have been talked in playing Dracula again, but he refuses to do much. Dracula barely talked in this latest film and more shocking, he’s not even the one doing the killing. Dracula instead relies on possessing Alice and later Lucy to get them to do his bidding. Then, once they’ve succeeded, he can discard them. The death of Dracula is easily the weakest in the series thus far. Up to this point, it’s always been that someone has either physically killed Dracula or someone has fought Dracula off in order for nature to kill him. In Taste the Blood of Dracula, Dracula is killed because his sanctuary happens to be in an old church. Spotting all of the crosses and other religious iconography frightens Dracula into death. Dracula is meant to be the most dangerous threat in the world in this universe, but he came across as a weakling in the movie. When Christopher Lee is committed to the role, like he was in Horror of Dracula or even Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, there’s no one better. At the same time, when he’s not committed, there isn’t any point in even bringing him in.

It’s not all bad though. The scene in which the trio is with Courtley as he attempts to summon Dracula is the highlight of the movie. It’s a genuinely creepy scene built around Courtley in full control while the trio has finally found something that is too extreme for their liking. Once Courtley drinks Dracula’s blood and begins convulsing, it’s unnerving. There’s also something disturbing about the trio’s first instinct in response to Courtley’s pleads for help is to physically beat him. The fact that the viewer is never told why they respond in such a hostile manner made that question all the greater. Could it be in response to feeling repulsed by what was happening? Maybe they were scared that Courtley was succeeding and they were afraid of what was to come? Did all three of them attack Courtley for the same reason? In the heat of the moment, it seems plausible that one or two of them simply joined in the attack because it was easier to go along with the majority than to stand up for Courtley. If one isn’t interested in watching this underwhelming Hammer film, I’d suggest just going to Youtube to view this single scene.

Overall, Taste the Blood of Dracula was yet another attempt by Hammer to keep their popular Dracula franchise running despite its star’s lack of interest. Although there were some interesting ideas brought to the table, the execution was too flawed for this to be considered good in my eyes. If you’re wanting to watch this film in order to see Christopher Lee as Dracula, you’re far better off watching either Horror of Dracula or Dracula Has Risen from the Grave because what you get here is a bored Lee phoning it in. If Hammer owns the rights to this movie, I’d actually be interested in watching a remake, but this time removing Dracula and instead just focusing on Lord Courtley and his quest for revenge.

Grade: D

Fright in Motion:

Spoiler:

---

Coming up next, before I can get around to watching a remake, I must first watch the original.

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Speaking of 1970, I was just looking at this movie the other day trying to find more movies from that year I'd be interested in (I noticed I'd only ever seen 3 movies from that year)
    I thought about watching this but I'm glad I passed on it after reading your review.

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercat View Post
    Busy week so I'm way behind on this, but a few quick thoughts Last house on the Left I was never a fan of, I might have to give it another shot but the first two times watching it I just couldn't get into it. I remember it feeling all over the place and not making a lot of sense but it's been a good 10 years since I've watched it now.
    Although there's certainly plenty of plot contrivances, I wouldn't say I ever felt as if The Last House on the Left ever felt all over the place without making sense.

I 100% thought when freaks was requested it was the new movie that just came out, this one doesn't interest me a whole lot, might give it a shot some other time during the year.
    I guess, in theory, the recent movie called Freaks may have been the one requested, but that just means it's even more important to include years or some sort of reference (Director or actor) when requesting a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercat View Post
    Speaking of 1970, I was just looking at this movie the other day trying to find more movies from that year I'd be interested in (I noticed I'd only ever seen 3 movies from that year) I thought about watching this but I'm glad I passed on it after reading your review.
    Perhaps it's counter productive of me to say this when I'm in the middle of a month long review project, but don't let me be the determining factor for why you shouldn't give a movie a chance. If it seems interesting despite a negative review, give it a chance. In the case of Taste the Blood of Dracula, it's less bad and more just frustrating. It reminds me some of the Hellraiser sequels that were forced to shoehorn Pinhead into a story that didn't originally include him. I have to applaud the Hammer Dracula series for refusing to just keep re-telling the same story. Thus far in the franchise, each of the four movies feel unique.

Day #07
    Title: The Blob
    Year: 1958
    Director: Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr.

After a mysterious glob of goo falls from the sky, a small little American town becomes overrun by the deadly blob.

My first exposure to the 50’s classic, The Blob, would have been in my theater arts class in maybe the 8th grade? I believe that class ran a good deal short and the teacher decided to use the extra time to educate his class on what movies were like back in the 50s. I can’t recall how much we saw before class ended, but I do vividly recall that The Blob that we saw on that day was a black-and-white movie. Imagine my surprise when years later, I finally sat down to properly watch the movie only to discover that The Blob as a color movie.

Watching The Blob in 2019, there’s immediately a challenge of not being able to find anything frightening about what’s displayed on the screen. It’s literally a film built around a giant pile of pudding that’s going around town eating people. Perhaps that worked in the 50s, but it’s more comical these days. In fact, throughout the film, it looked as if actors struggled to remain in character rather than smirking at what was happening. There’s a fairly memorable scene featuring a mass of people running for their lives out of a movie theater that the blob had entered, but paying close attention to the faces of these extras, so few of them are looking scared, instead featuring amused or excited expressions.

However, don’t let the dated threat in The Blob deter you from enjoying the movie. Where the movie excelled were the characters and the effort to give as many people little quirks to help them stand out more. After a blob based attack in a doctor’s office, the noisey Mrs. Porter is so consumed with wanting to clean up the place for Dr. Hallen that the police have to instruct her several times to stop touching things and to just leave the room as is. That’s when we get what I feel is the line of the film from Porter, “Can't I just dust around the fingerprints?” That’s an amazing line showcasing just how unfamiliar Porter is with the handling of crime scenes. I can’t recall seeing her in any other scene, but her performance in this singular scene was so fantastic that she became memorable to me.

This little American town felt so connected with all of its characters that I could see a regular 50s sitcom being based in it prior to the arrival of the blob. One great connection is the explanation for why there’s a police officer who serves the role as the cliche non-believer once the teenagers of the town began spreading the news around town that there’s a large blob going around killing people. It seems just prior to the events of the movie beginning, this police officer, Sgt. Bert, was duped by some of the teenagers into unwittingly helping out in the prank of stealing a car until they were caught. Due to this history with these prankster teenagers, it makes complete sense for why Bert isn’t so quick to believe some fantastical story about a killer blob.

The future ‘King of Kool’, Steve McQueen, made his film debut in The Blob as its star, Steve Andrews. Admittedly, any time one of the adults referred to Steve as a kid, despite being in his late 20s at the time of filming, I was left rolling my eyes at this failure to keep me in the world of the movie. However, looking past that, Steve was a rather likable main character. He’s a bit of a trouble maker, but as the viewer saw early in the film when he’s caught racing on the roads by Lt. Dave, Steve was able to talk his way out of trouble by being such a smooth talker. Although I’m certainly very familiar with McQueen’s name and star status, this was the first time I properly watched one of his acting roles and it’s completely understandable why he was given his future nickname of the King of Kool. From the way Steve interacted with his girlfriend Jane, to his buddies, and to the police officers, everything he did seemed so cool.

Although I didn’t find the original Blob to be scary in any way, I do find that the idea of it is effective enough. There’s a lot of mystique centering around the blob where even by the end of the movie, we know very little about it. We know that it came from outer space, it was kept in a shell until the shell was broken releasing the mass, it grows larger and darker with each killer, and that freezing it can stop the threat. I’m unaware if a sequel was planned at the time of its release, but a sequel is effortlessly created with the statement that they don’t know how to kill it, but transferring it to the Arctic will at least keep it from having enough power to go back on its killing streak. Even in the film, though it’s mentioned that that idea is only effective as long as the Arctic remains frozen. Thinking about what’s happening in the world today with the fear of global warming melting the ice caps, real life is essentially setting up a sequel that is just waiting to be made. At this point in time, I haven’t seen the 80s remake, but I’m now curious as to how the film is going to set out to make this story scary.

Overall, 1958’s The Blob was an entertaining film that made up for the fact that the scares not being effective by ensuring that the town and its residents were. Old man McQueen held this movie together by being likable and trying to save the day, even if he was often distracted by silly things like being challenged to a race by his buddies. I’d gladly consider The Blob as being one of the real standout horrors of the 1950s.

Grade: A

Fright in Motion:

Spoiler:

---

Coming up next, I mean, it should be obvious what I'm covering tomorrow, right?

Day #08
    Title: The Blob
    Year: 1988
    Director: Chuck Russell

After a deadly blob starts killing, a couple of teenagers are the town's only hope for survival.

In 1958, two big events happened in the world of horror. The most notable being the release of The Blob. A landmark sci-fi/horror that I feel has aged pretty well for its time period. The second event of 1958 would be the birth of Chuck Russell. Who is Chuck Russell, you may be asking? For most, he’s likely best known as being the first time director who made A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors. To this day, my favorite of the Elm Street films. Thirty years after 1958 and the two events came together with Russell helming the remake of The Blob for his second feature length film.

After watching the original The Blob, I was left uncertain as to what the remake could do to add some scares to the monster since it is just a gooey mass. What I failed to recognize is that over the thirty years since the release of the first Blob, a lot had changed in the way of special effects. While watching this Blob, the two films that I kept thinking about the most were ironically, two remakes as well - John Carpenter’s The Thing and David Cronenberg’s The Fly. In both cases, those horror greats took a somewhat cheesy original movie and updated it nicely by upping the intensity with some killer special effects.

The special effects in The Blob was easily the best aspect of this movie. With the original, the blob wasn’t able to do much other than being shown on a future victim. In this movie, the blob rips its victims apart with each kill being gross and such a treat for those who love practical effects. The fact that this came out in 1988 greatly benefitted the film as we were at the height of practical effects, but had it taken place a handful of years later, it would have been overloaded with CGI that undoubtedly would have looked quite poor by today’s standards like most movies that were quick to jump on the CGI bandwagon. Besides practical effects, miniatures were also used as well as some superimposed shots. The superimposed shots look a little cheesy, but I’d still gladly take such shots over poor looking CGI.

The strongest aspect of the original movie was the community and the town itself. The remake isn’t as strong in that department, but it did feel as if it was a small town with everyone knowing each other. Flagg was made out to be the bad boy with a heart of gold that most adults disliked, but knew that there was a limit on how far he would go with breaking the rules, refusing to believe that he could be a killer. He reminded me a good deal of Tommy Jarvis from my favorite Friday the 13th, Part VI: Jason Lives. Dealing with the police not being fans of him, but catching the eye of the main girl. I do find it odd that the film seemed to set-up a love triangle between Flagg, Meg, and Paul (Whatever happened to her original boyfriend that was merely mentioned at the start of the movie?), but instead Paul is quickly killed off in the biggest surprise of the movie.

Although I loved the first half with the blob being introduced and first attacking people to showcase the amazing special effects, I found that once the government was introduced and the film in general became a lot bigger, my interest dropped some. I understand why the remake focused on adding to the backstory rather than keeping the blob as some unknown entity from space to separate it from just re-telling the original’s story, but it caused the film to resemble more of an action film than a horror. In this regard, it reminded me of 2007’s Cloverfield with the government entering the picture and adding even more trouble to our main characters.

Overall, whenever the topic of best horror remakes are brought up, it’s not uncommon to eventually hear some mentions of The Blob. While I wouldn’t consider The Blob to be a top level horror remake, I do feel as if it’s a notable one. Besides feeling a good deal different from the other, it could make for an excellent gross out marathon along with The Thing and The Fly. Without question, 1988’s The Blob is one of the best horrors of the 80s when it came to practical effects being on display. Is there anything else a horror fan could desire?

Grade: B

Fright in Motion:

Spoiler:

---

Coming up next, look, I don't want to watch this, you don't want to watch this, but I've already watched the other movies in the franchise, so let's just get this finished and let future Jim deal with any subsequent sequels that will undoubtedly come out.

Hail To The King

Status

Jim gonna throw out a few

Happy Death Day
    Happy Death Day 2 U
    30 Days Of Night

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Jim gonna throw out a few

Happy Death Day
    Happy Death Day 2 U
    30 Days Of Night
    I was looking at 30 Days of Night earlier today actually. Best chance of the three to be covered.

Hail To The King

Status

30 Days Of Night is pretty decent I think

I really thought the Happy Death Day and the sequel are pretty unique tbh like a horror groundhogs day

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

The Flow

Status

If you’re still taking requests I’d love your thoughts on Misery (1990)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang

Raiders go 8-8 in '19

Status

Any chance you could review Would You Rather?

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Kudos for the GIF from the 80's Blob, it just HAD to be that scene.

I enjoy both movies equally, but I do find myself gravitating more towards the 80's version because I'm a big Matt Dillon fan. There is a lot of Tommy Jarvis in the character, so I'm glad you pointed that out. I also found that the 80's Blob pulled no punches when it came to offing characters, even going as far as melting a young child basically on camera. It's always shocking when movies go to the extreme of killing kids, so that alone makes it sort of a standout in the decade. I also loved the Reverend Meeker character, though that's mainly due to my affinity for the actor playing him, Del Close. The parting shot of him with the maturing blob in the jar always made me hungry for a sequel, even though I knew the story was best ended right there.

Now that you've watched both of these, you should try giving Beware the Blob a shot. It's definitely, uh, different, but nonetheless an entertaining movie in its own right.

Back to the earlier review of Taste the Blood of Dracula, I haven't seen it in years, but I do think I enjoyed it a little more than you did. I much prefer next years Hands of the Ripper (as we discussed in last years Fright Fest, plug plug) but this one was good enough in its own right. I really loved the William Hargood asshole character and felt that Geoffrey Keen (Roger Moore Bond's Sir Frederick Gray) was excellent in the role. I'll probably give it a go again, and I've also gotten my hands on Wolf Creek and the Last House on the Left remake, so I'll get to those over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars of 2019~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Day #09
    Title: Jigsaw
    Year: 2017
    Directors: The Spierig Brothers

After a series of murders begins reminiscent of the old John Kramer kills, could this mean that Jigsaw is not only alive, but back?

When thinking over the various horror franchises, I’m thinking I have the most love/hate relationship with the Saw series. I loved the original so much with it being one of the landmark horrors of the 2000 in my eyes. I can remember reading all about the film in Fangoria magazine and although I wasn’t able to see it in the theater, I have a distinct memory of giving my mom the money to buy the DVD the day it came out so that I’d have it to watch as soon as I got home from school. The twist ending remains one of the most shocking endings that I’ve ever seen in a movie. All throughout the end credits, my jaw remained dropped. Perhaps a bit of a geeky memory, but it’s one of the fondest memories I had watching a horror movie.

The sequels were such a mixed bag. Sometimes I’d venture out to the movie theater to watch them, whether with my college roommates or by myself. Sometimes the sequels would be okay, other times I hated them. All of the creativity that the original movie had going for it was mostly lost starting in Saw 2. Instead, each film relied solely on coming up with bloody traps and forcing some big twist, often times altering what we thought we knew about the Saw timeline with John Kramer. Despite being a massive fan of what the original Saw offered, by the end of the franchise, I was jumping on the bandwagon for Paranormal Activity, which ended up being similar in that it originally had such an appeal due offering something different in the world of horror, but quickly realized that the series could make loads of money by just offering the same things over and over again. By 2010, it seemed as if the Saw series would finally be put out of its misery, allowing John Kramer and his trusty doll to rest in peace.

Then...Jigsaw came. When I first heard the news of a new Saw movie being made, I can’t say I was too enthused. The franchise already went on for too long, what can a new movie bring to the picture? Looking back, I do feel as if there was a curiosity about it. This was a franchise so dependant on a new release every October constantly building and altering the story. What are the filmmakers going to do when they can’t rely on moviegoers to have the story so fresh on their minds any longer? It’s been seven years, the film has to be accommodating for those who either haven’t seen the previous films or haven’t for years.

On one hand, I feel as if Jigsaw was smart as in striping the story down to the bare necessities. A lot of the backstory that the sequels established was ignored at least to the point where it wasn’t discussed. Thinking over what happened in the sequels that was important to be aware of for Jigsaw, the only vital thing would be the knowledge that John Kramer is supposed to be dead. Beyond that, what else was important? There were traps shown from the sequels that were briefly shown in the background of Jigsaw, but that’s moreso something for more hardcore fans to be able to spot and appreciate. I think a viewer could even go into Jigsaw without seeing any of the Saw films and wouldn’t feel too lost. I’d also say that the traps were their usual creative and fun treats. Perhaps the traps were a little more simple than we saw later on in the franchise, the fact that this was billed as Jigsaw’s first game explains why the traps had to be simple.

The downside is that it’s just another Saw movie. The main story featuring the medical staff and the police as they investigate these murders with the speculation that one of them could be involved wasn’t interesting. The characters were too one dimensional for my liking. Det. Halloran was so clearly made out to be a bad guy that whether he was revealed to be behind the murders or not, you knew that he’d be revealed as doing something wrong. Then there was Eleanor. Eleanor was far too over the top in trying to establish her as some freaky Jigsaw obsessed character reminding viewers of Amanda. Whether you are a fan of Amanda or not, she always felt authentic. Eleanor felt like a character written by some screenwriter to try and entice male viewers with a good looking girl who had some macabre interests.

Overall, Jigsaw was an attempt to bring life back into the Saw series to hopefully allow for additional sequels to be made. While it didn’t lose money, it ultimately did just about as well as the final few films in the franchise. It’s simply not 2005-2006 anymore, at the height of not only the Saw franchise popularity, but also in the middle of the torture porn boom period. The traps may have been fun to witness again, but the story was dull and added yet another layer to the convoluted backstory involving John and his seemingly endless amount of cohorts that had secretly been helping him set up his traps. Considering the absurd list of accomplices he had at one point or another, I’m left wondering if I was an accomplice! With the Saw remake set to be released in 2020, I sincerely hope that there’s a greater idea planned rather than falling into the trap of the same tired formula that the Saw franchise has been in for a decade and a half.

Grade: D

Fright in Motion:

Spoiler:

---

Coming up next, a remake of a previous Fright Fest covered film. Maybe it's a remake of a franchise film, maybe it's a remake of a foreign movie, who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    30 Days Of Night is pretty decent I think

I really thought the Happy Death Day and the sequel are pretty unique tbh like a horror groundhogs day
    I enjoy both Happy Death Days. They're stupid, but fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Mitch View Post
    If you’re still taking requests I’d love your thoughts on Misery (1990)
    Misery is either my favorite or second favorite King movie. Will I cover it this year? Gotta keep coming back to Fright Fest 11 to see if I do~!

Quote Originally Posted by vadermania View Post
    Any chance you could review Would You Rather?
    Will I cover it this year? Gotta keep coming back to Fright Fest 11 to see if I do~!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I enjoy both movies equally, but I do find myself gravitating more towards the 80's version because I'm a big Matt Dillon fan. There is a lot of Tommy Jarvis in the character, so I'm glad you pointed that out. I also found that the 80's Blob pulled no punches when it came to offing characters, even going as far as melting a young child basically on camera. It's always shocking when movies go to the extreme of killing kids, so that alone makes it sort of a standout in the decade. I also loved the Reverend Meeker character, though that's mainly due to my affinity for the actor playing him, Del Close. The parting shot of him with the maturing blob in the jar always made me hungry for a sequel, even though I knew the story was best ended right there.
    Although I feel like the original was the superior film, I imagine I'm more likely to go back to the remake for the more regular watch.

Now that you've watched both of these, you should try giving Beware the Blob a shot. It's definitely, uh, different, but nonetheless an entertaining movie in its own right.
    I only became aware of this film a few days ago when I was on 1958's Blob IMDb page and one of the recommended films was this. Although I'm curious about the film, I think it's the sort I'd cover in future installments of Fright Fest as a call back rather than include yet another Blob film this year.

Back to the earlier review of Taste the Blood of Dracula, I haven't seen it in years, but I do think I enjoyed it a little more than you did. I much prefer next years Hands of the Ripper (as we discussed in last years Fright Fest, plug plug) but this one was good enough in its own right. I really loved the William Hargood asshole character and felt that Geoffrey Keen (Roger Moore Bond's Sir Frederick Gray) was excellent in the role. I'll probably give it a go again, and I've also gotten my hands on Wolf Creek and the Last House on the Left remake, so I'll get to those over the Thanksgiving weekend.
    There's elements in Taste that was great, but the script needed a few more drafts before it was ready to start shooting.

Have you never seen Wolf Creek? That surprises me greatly.

Raiders go 8-8 in '19

Status

Jim,

Not to pile on, but have you ever reviewed the original I Spit On Your Grave from the '70s?

Quote Originally Posted by vadermania View Post
    Jim,

Not to pile on, but have you ever reviewed the original I Spit On Your Grave from the '70s?
    In the first post in this thread is my full archive of Fright Fest reviews dating back to 2008.

Hail To The King

Status

3 From Hell be a cool tribute to Sid if you get chance

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information