Thread: Fight Night Promo Discussion Thread 9/27/19

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

Fight Night Fight Night Promo Discussion Thread 9/27/19

Rate, hate, appreciate.

If you say something nice about Michael Garcia, you might get a promo review in return.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Status

Re: Fight Night Promo Discussion Thread 9/27/19

Extension please. I'm off Saturday so Saturday night is a much easier night than Friday to write this.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Extension please. I'm off Saturday so Saturday night is a much easier night than Friday to write this.
    Extension granted

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Hail To The King

Status

EXT plz

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    EXT plz
    Granted for you as well as your opponents.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

MERHABALAR AQ

Status
      Country                    Turkey

Ext?
    Worker bees can leave.
    Even drones can fly away.
    The Queen is their slave.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Ext?
    Granted for you and your opponent.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Chikara Trainee

Status

For me? I'll prob have it written tonight but going on holiday so will need to format it on my phone at some point which might be after the deadline

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigy View Post
    For me? I'll prob have it written tonight but going on holiday so will need to format it on my phone at some point which might be after the deadline
    Granted, which means I get one as well.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Do everyone in main event have extensions?

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Yes. Because Sully requested one, so both sides do.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Save your promos guys. My laptop died and travel adaptor isn't working. Too late to get anywhere that has one now so there's no way I'll be able to get back on and format and post by extension.

Apologies, had huge week at work before taking my flight overnight so didn't have enough time to get everything done.

Ironically got about 3/4 of each promo done, if I'd just picked one I wouldn't have been down two.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Man I wish I had more time to work on promo things. Damn six day a week work schedule.

Anyway. Cyrus, Sully, Jiggy, Sayer, and TGO did fantastic with their promos! Sully in particular, I loved the way you used the Seven Deadly Sins to relate to everyone connected in the main event, and especially to tease a change of ways for Sullivan, only to almost immediately dash it away. Good subversion, great stuff.

TGO, Jiggy, Sayer, this is speaking as someone who didn't have as much exposure to Golden, Kennedy, and Garcia promos beforehand, but you three did excellent setting up what this match means, individually, to all of you, as well as expanding who they are as a person. Garcia wanting to take it 'back to basics', Golden being contrasted with his return and the months after his retirement and his stance on doing his job rightfully, and Kennedy furious over the entire situation, with excellently debated points on his end, it's all wonderful stuff.

And Cyrus! Cyrus, Cyrus, Cyrus. I don't think anyone else can set a scene as perfect as he can. The man just breathes detail and world building. The two-part reveal (counting last week's) that part of FWA's survival on the WC Network waaaaay back then could be due to his suggestion, is a wonderful piece. Cyrus effortlessly picks up all the threads in the storyline, and ties them all together in one delightful promo.

Honestly, y'all make me ashamed I don't have enough time to churn out masterpieces like y'all. Anyway. I'll shoot some positive vibes at Jimmy King, OMB, Eyesensane, & Herme's promos sometime tomorrow. You too got some great stories and characters that I'll properly delve into later.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

Status

Over the Edge: I love that you still have OTE still alive after all these years. This promo for Hughes and Killemall had a lot of effort put forth for a Fight Night match. Like, this was pay per view quality length. So I admire the fact that you went the distance. There us a lot of solid dialog and character development from everyone here. Eyes, Killemall, Alana, Ted. My only gripe is that maybe there are too many people. I would love to see a promo that really focuses in on just HUghes and Killeamall. But it worked for this week, because it really shows how strong and tight nit this group is. Making steaks together. And it shows how powerful they can be together too.

Cheshire Cat Clan: It's really amazing to see how much you're progressing with your promos. Transitioning from the style we did way back on EWN to the style that we do here in FWA is hard. It took me a long time too. And honestly, you're coming along much faster than I did when I came back. Go back and read some of my promos from 2014, they weren't anything that special. Thankfully, there is no record of any of the promos I wrote back on PWS in 2012 and 2013 either. But you're coming a long way. The Alice in Wonderland theme here fits perfect for obvious reasons. And I love your formatting here. It's clean and looks smooth. My only gripe is the spoiler tags, they look awkward here and sort of play the role of a speed bump when it comes to reading the promo. I get you used it to hide the big photo, but next time I'd suggest leaving the photo out all together. I personally like using a cover photo, but as far as photos in the promo, I think it's much better to just write a paragraph describing what to see. Make your reader picture the Cheshire Cat themselves with vivid details and adjectives. Use imagery, instead of just an image that does the job for you. Overall though, I love this promo and I love the distance you've come. Keep up the good work. I'm not going to review your Jaggar promo, but same thing...you've really come a long way. Keep pushing for better and better, and you'll be going higher distances.

Jason Randall:
    I think you're such a talented writer. You have the ability to craft promos well because you know your opponents so well, but one thing I know you can do better is theme and setting. For a Fight Night promo it isn't as huge of a deal, but beating Mike Parr would be huge for Randall based on the momentum Parr has had. Your next match, don't write a generic interview by the stadium. Put Randall in a dynamic setting. Make him the only character, and write the dialog he had with Katie here in a more solo way with Randall getting it all out. You gave all the reasons to why Randall can beat Mike Parr, but do it with some spice and flavor. I think if you found your groove with setting and theme, Jason Randall could break through as a main event quality wrestler.

Krash: I love the character development here for Krash, because it really sets things up for him if his team wins and he gets into the championship match. The whole angle that Violet is proposing on how Cyrus Truth is the only reason why Krash is an outcast. Krash and Cyrus Truth are friends now, but you really established the building blocks here to really go after him when it's time. So this was a really good character developing promo. My only gripe here is that I feel like you glossed over your three opponents too easily. There was some really good character development with Krash and Violet, but you had a chance to really dig into Sullivan, Kennedy, and Garcia, and two of these three got glossed over in a paragraph. Overall I can't wait to see where Krash goes next, win or lose.

Michael Garcia: First of all, one of these days Sullivan and Garcia need to team up more formally for a Pittsburgh Boys tag team. The Pittsburgh Native and the Steel City Slayer. Let me just say...I think you're exactly what I was a year ago. You took a break, and now you're coming back and you're on an entirely new level than you ever were before. This is a main event quality promo, and Michael Garcia IS a main eventer. The intro had so much details into Garcia and his standing, I'd have preferred a more fleshed out description of the setting, but I really can't complain about the intro at all. The lack of the Mister Rogers backdrop sets the tone for this promo, in that Garcia isn't messing around. This is serious. But my favorite part of this promo is the transition from small dialog to monologue. I feel like a lot of promos fail to make that transition, and it's what doesn't push their promo over the top. It's all back and forth dialog between two or more characters without the main character really fleshing out enough of what they need to. Not only do you avoid this, but you transition so well with the format of Garcia's words. The all bold increased size really had me visualize so clearly Garcia snapping with that large bellowing voice. And then he just lets loose, he and goes on the rant that's been building up for too long. The rant against Golden, and Cyrus, and CWA. Really well done.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Krash: You've got a different style to everyone else. The character, or rather the "man" within the character is what takes precedence over everything else. At least it consistently reads that way. Developing the character and giving him depth, and human interactions is first and foremost, above just being a Pro Wrestler who is "chained" to being a Pro Wrestler and just focusing on match by match. It works really well with the current story being told with the FWA vs. CWA angle. Its a more human edge to it, as opposed to other takes which are mostly ego driven, there's a certain frailty told here, and in most of your promos. I really enjoy the conversations between Krash and Violet,the simple back and forth's and the way she prods away at him. I will say though, it can be a tricky introduction, or set up to actually getting to talking about the match at hand and the opponents themselves. There's always that point in these sort of promos where it goes from a natural conversation to a wrestling promo. I think it can be awkward because there's always this noticeable change, there's a point where the promo has to turn into a wrestling promo.

As I said I really enjoy the focus on the character itself, and I enjoy the dialogue between Krash and Violet. Its just that little moment where it goes from being a natural conversation to becoming a "promo". I've done the same thing in the past, we all have I'm sure. Its the only flaw I could pick with this promo.

Cyrus Truth: I've said it before about your promos, but this reads like a World Champion level promo, it feels like a World Champion promo. It has that specialness, and grandness about it. At least from what I've seen there's no such thing as a "weak" or "normal" Cyrus Truth promo, its World Champion level every time out. The opening scene was a nice touch, a nice little bit of backstory that takes a shot at Garcia, Sully, etc without needing to directly take a shot at them. The big thing that stands out in your promos is what you see in your opponents. The way you see what it is that really makes the other characters tick. Like its never just the simple surface stuff, never just the obvious blunt aspects of the other characters that Cyrus goes in on, its deeper than that. Its the true defining aspects of the characters that Cyrus hones in on. The depth of the Cyrus Truth character and the depth with which he "see's" his opponents is a big part of what makes your promos so special.

Devin Golden: Simple yet effective, because it suited the character and where he is right now. The Devin we have now isn't the same Devin we had in the past, the ego and grandeur is gone and now he's just fighting for something he believes in. The emails was a nice opener, a nice way of signifying that things have changed now but not giving anything away so easily. I did want to see more though, I wanted more, I expected more. As I said the simplicity of it all suit where the character is now, but it ended abruptly. The meat and potatoes were really good, and I feel like there was so much potential here with this promo, in this exact same "setting", just the quantity wasn't there to make the most of it.
    Last edited by ETE; 10-01-2019 at 10:42 AM.

HOSS MOD

Status

Chris Kennedy: While all three people opposite of the ring from Cyrus, Devin, and Krash brought the lumber, as the man behind Cyrus Truth? This was my favorite promo. Kennedy's deep and raw hatred for Truth just oozed from this segment, and how it's gotten to the point that Kennedy is far more willing to ensure Truth loses everything because of what the two have done to one another since Back in Business. I have no idea if I'm going to survive Desert Storm with my title reign intact, but this promo definitely makes me look forward to the next time Kennedy and Truth go head-to-head again.

Michael Garcia: BIG BOY WITH THE BIG BOY PROMO. I have to say that I am extremely impressed by this evolution from Garcia. Getting back to the basics and just flat out saying "Screw this cheeky shit, I'm just gonna tear some motherfuckers apart" was both raw, simple, and massively effective. Garcia's focus and acceptance of his shortcomings while being adamant about finally doing something about it is a strong angle and character direction. Like Sully mentioned before, this return to force after Garcia's hiatus is some powerful stuff and I dig it.

Dave Sullivan: Creative work, tying the sins to the people in this match. Like with Kennedy, I love it when characters get introspective, taking the events that led them to this point and exploring them. Sullivan seeing parts of himself in the sins and that brief moment where you think something might've stuck serves to give Sullivan depth beyond just being the biggest and most successful asshole in the past year. Awesome job.

As the defending champion, I the player am pretty nervous regarding how I'm going to overcome any of these three, not to mention you're throwing Gabrielle back into the mix. This collision of some of FWA's top talents in a real, juicy blood feud has been some good shit.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Chris Kennedy: Hate was the obvious theme of this promo, and that really came through strongly. There was a great sense of how much Chris hates not just Cyrus who is at the core of his hate, but everyone else involved in this. To be honest though Im not sure if I really like the hate between Chris, Sully and Mike. It felt stronger when this angle saw those guys as being more unified against Cyrus and Krash as opposed to this hatred. But that's just personal opinion. I did expect more though, more length to put it simply. I did mostly enjoy what was there, the setting, the theme of hate and using cards to cycle through the various different people, but it was a very short Chris Kennedy promo.

Thread Information