Thread: How should WWE handle The Fiend?

Status
      Country                    United States

How should WWE handle The Fiend?

In this day and age, it's just not every day that WWE strikes gold and has a superstar get truly, organically, consistently over. Sadly when they do, they quite often fumble or mismanage the superstars (Braun Strowman, Finn Balor) or straight up try to ignore their overness until it goes away (Rusev, Wade Barrett). In the past year, they have managed to capitalize on the meteoric rises of Becky Lynch and Kofi Kingston, which delivered one of the most anticipated and satisfying WrestleMania events in recent memory. Still, WWE is in a rut when it comes to creating stars. We just had Raw and Smackdown return to Madison Square Garden last week where Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Undertaker completely overshadowed every active superstar on the two shows. It's great to see the legends but it doesn't really sit well with me when you look at the legends, then look at today's top stars, and their overness just doesn't begin to compare. To be fair, you don't run into guys like Steve Austin every day. But we're probably all in agreement that WWE isn't doing themselves any favors with how they've booked their guys over the last half decade or so.

In comes The Fiend. The new and improved Bray Wyatt persona who right now is universally loved and stands out head and shoulders above his contemporaries. His character is layered, it's complex, it's nuanced. It's fresh and exciting. It feels important. It's basically everything that the rest of WWE's pet projects over the last half decade haven't been. As much as we enjoy The Fiend now though, anyone who has watched their fair share of WWE in this modern era has to have the slinking suspicion that the fun might not last as long as we want. When you look at The Fiend, it's a character that has star written all over it. But then you remember it's Bray Wyatt under the mask. And you think back to when The Wyatt Family first made their presence felt on WWE TV. How intriguing it was and how you felt like you couldn't wait to see what was coming next. Then, round about 6 months later the paint began to wear off. A year later, Wyatt was pretty much just a guy with a cool entrance. And by WrestleMania 33 there was no disputing the fact that the character was dead in the water, with a lot of fans just begging for a merciful end to it all.

Is WWE doomed to repeat this The Fiend?

Well, that's the million dollar question. So far, they have played things as smart as they could. They've limited his appearances and kept a vast majority of his screen time to vignettes and chilling attacks on WWE legends (and Finn Balor). In the one match he's had which was against Balor at SummerSlam, he debuted a new entrance and got a decisive win (though I had my qualms with the match anyways). Now, what everyone wants to know is how will they capitalize on this momentum for The Fiend? Many thought he'd be making an appearance to take out The Undertaker this week but instead we basically got the opposite which was Undertaker burying Sami Zayn (pls stop, he's dead already). On Monday Night Raw, he made some comments on The Firefly Funhouse which seemed to indicate that he'll be striking next at Hell in a Cell, or in the build to Hell in a Call, with Seth Rollins or Braun Strowman being his implied target. But who knows really? WWE is always frantically rethinking things and changing things on the fly. All we really know for sure is the next months will be make or break for The Fiend character. They've set the tone for him but it's getting closer to the time for them to really let him off the leash. Whether he's a boom or bust will almost certainly be determined by what happens from now until WrestleMania.

So I raise the question to you, all-wise WC community - how should WWE handle The Fiend? Who should he be matched with? What should be the motivation for his actions? Does he need to get the Universal Title or would it be better to keep him away from that? Where would you like to see him at come time for "Grandaddy of Them All"? And ultimately, do you think WWE can sustain this level of hype for The Fiend or will it be same story, different day when it comes to this gimmick?

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: How should WWE handle The Fiend?

I think what they've done so far has been great, and the firefly house segments are still delivering for me and I like that even though he's barely been out there in the ring since the summerslam debut, they've still given him a direction with him wanting the winner of Seth Vs Braun at hell (in a cell). The dilemma that gives them is how they book that match at HAIC. You either have to have the Fiend fall at the first hurdle which could kill the character, or you go all in with the Fiend and make him Universal Champion. I'd probably give him the damn title because it's only Seth and he isn't working out as a top babyface, and even if he was this is hardly excellent, fresh material we're getting from him, we've seen bickering tag champions feuding over the top belt before, the Fiend is the more interesting direction. There's a slight risk of then you'd overexpose him if he's champion, but he's had 1 match in a year, at some point the build has to stop and they have to bite the bullet with him as a regular wrestler again.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

I would say give him the title, you can't have him lose right now. It'll just stunt the momentum of the gimmick. Have him beat Seth and then call out a legend, Taker maybe (if he can do it) and beat them at Survivor Series to give him that extra cred. I would think it'd be wise to keep him off B-Shows and filler title defences, so you don't over expose the gimmick and the feuds he could have.

It's interesting. Maybe he could work like Taker in that he doesn't have the title but is always in that spot away from it.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

In a perfect World he goes all the way. In a perfect World The Fiend wins the Universal Title, maybe not right now, personally I would have held off for a bit and have the Fiend win a high profile feud or two before going for the Universal Title. But the problem there is thats in a perfect World as well, I mean who is there for the Fiend to face? Who are the top faces in WWE right now? There's really no interesting options for a non Title feud for the Fiend right now because everyone outside the World Title pictures, and outside the Roman and Shane stories are entirely irrelevant and unimportant right now. So a feud with Miz, or Cedric, or whoever would hurt the Fiend. Like I feel like its worth saying theres a very good reason they've had The Fiend target guys like Foley and The King, because taking those guys out is a much bigger deal than beating an irrelevant babyface from the current roster like Miz or Ali. But in a perfect World as I said he'd win a couple of feuds and then go onto win the Universal Title. But thats me, even though Bray has been around for a while, The Fiend is a new incarnation of the character and I'm not a fan of how WWE rush people to the top thesedays. I miss the days where a wrestler would establish themselves, have some standout feuds, some midcard Title reigns, and then get a Main Event push.

In this imperfect World all I can say is keep him away from Seth Rollins. Nothing good in any way happens anywhere near Seth Rollins and the guy never puts anyone over anymore either. I can only see bad things for The Fiend when he's mixed up with Seth, but that's the direction we're going down. So more likely than not the Fiends momentum will be stopped dead pretty soon.
    Last edited by ETE; 09-14-2019 at 07:09 AM.

Hail To The King

Status

im not gonna lie i was down to see miz and the fiend purely for him targeting miz's kid like that be all sorts of fucked up.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I think what they've done so far has been great, and the firefly house segments are still delivering for me and I like that even though he's barely been out there in the ring since the summerslam debut, they've still given him a direction with him wanting the winner of Seth Vs Braun at hell (in a cell). The dilemma that gives them is how they book that match at HAIC. You either have to have the Fiend fall at the first hurdle which could kill the character, or you go all in with the Fiend and make him Universal Champion. I'd probably give him the damn title because it's only Seth and he isn't working out as a top babyface, and even if he was this is hardly excellent, fresh material we're getting from him, we've seen bickering tag champions feuding over the top belt before, the Fiend is the more interesting direction. There's a slight risk of then you'd overexpose him if he's champion, but he's had 1 match in a year, at some point the build has to stop and they have to bite the bullet with him as a regular wrestler again.
    I was about to comment- but I seen this and it literally sums up my thoughts and feelings on the situation.

I wouldn't have jumped so soon into the Championship match and that's kind of a worry for me because like Ed says, if he does lose.. Well, where do you go from there?

Also as far as the character goes, I want to see more being made of the "hurt" & "heal" choices. It would be super controversial but I'd love to see something where you have like Miz & Maryse in the ring for example and they're doing the Miz show when the lights go out.. Miz is immediately in a fighting stance when they come back on and the Fiend is in the ring. He cups his ears looking at the Miz and the choice ends up being "heal" and so he leaves him.. Only for him to switch and the "hurt" falls onto Maryse.

While I know it would raise some eyebrows, it would immediately make the Fiend look even more sick and twisted- so much more unpredictable. And in this scenario, Miz is obviously pissed, seeks out the Fiend and you give the Fiend his first feud which he will comfortably win and moves on.

"LET ME IN.."

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Whys everyone want Miz in the role of geek whose family always gets targeted and he never gets any revenge?

A Miz feud does zero for The Fiend because of how irrelevant The Miz is anyway. There's not many people that actually matter at all in WWE, so Bray sort of has to go after the Universal Title already.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

I would bring Firefly Bray out for a match or two, give us the two in-ring characters to work with. I also think he doesn't wrestle at HIAC, I think it'll just be an interference job as the Fiend is the hottest thing in WWE right now, so surely he'll end up on SD when the "draft" happens?
    I have a plan so cunning......

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    Whys everyone want Miz in the role of geek whose family always gets targeted and he never gets any revenge?

A Miz feud does zero for The Fiend because of how irrelevant The Miz is anyway. There's not many people that actually matter at all in WWE, so Bray sort of has to go after the Universal Title already.
    BECAUSE THE MIZ SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

Nah joking.. Well, kinda. Mine was an example, I couldn't really think of a boy/girl combination other then Miz/Maryse.

"LET ME IN.."

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I would bring Firefly Bray out for a match or two, give us the two in-ring characters to work with. I also think he doesn't wrestle at HIAC, I think it'll just be an interference job as the Fiend is the hottest thing in WWE right now, so surely he'll end up on SD when the "draft" happens?
    I think this is actually a great idea for Funhouse Bray to be “normal” Bray so he can make appearances and have some matches, ideally switching up the style and moveset a bit) without overexposing The Fiend. It’d probably also be a great moment to advertise The Fiend in action, only for Funhouse Bray to show up and have a match, where you wouldn’t really know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Status

Love everything they've been doing so far, Would be cool to see Funhouse Bray in action as well like previous people said. My thing is tv wise I don't want to see matches every week for him. I like the episodes of Firefly Fun House, and random attacks, and built up feuds with angles. As far the main title goes I don't really even care about that anytime soon, I'd rather see him tear apart people.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Bray Wyatt is the best thing going in wrestling. He is red hot. I'm enjoying the ride and hope they don't screw it up. This might be the best gimmick since the Undertaker.

Thread Information