Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who have you recently 'turned around' on?

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Who have you recently 'turned around' on?

Pictured: Is this YOUR underrated talent?

We wrestling fans are often said to be something of a stubborn bunch, holding on to things our favourite or least favourite performers did years ago to justify our current opinion of them, as if no-one can ever improve or worsen after the first time we've seen them. First impressions on many things can mean a lot, often more than we can imagine, but all too often we tend to ignore the strides people make to change from those first impressions, for the better, or worse. Sometimes performers change minds via an increased or unseen in-ring ability, other times it's via a character change or twist, but either way, I'd like to hear who did what to change your mind.

Some might call it 'fickle' or 'jumping on/off a bandwagon' or such. And they might not be entirely wrong - especially for those who don't watch and only rely on second-hand opinions - but they also might not be entirely right in that regard. It's healthy and normal to notice changes, and react accordingly. To hold on to your first impression of something years on, and refusing to adjust your opinion when that performer of today is a whole 'nother dude compared to that performer they used to be, it's, well, stubborn with a capital STUB.

Inspired by some recent posts in WC's Weekly Monday Night Baron Corbin Live Discussion thread, this thread is to allow you to admit that 'hey, this guy has improved enough that I genuinely look forward to seeing him instead of sighing at the sight of him,' or 'hey, this guy really lost a step somewhere somehow and I'm not as hot on him as I used to be.' Who is someone you initially hated only for them to have recently won you over? Contrastingly, who is someone you initially thought was THE BOMB, only to sadly realise they've been a dud on TV for a while?

Remainder: It's alright to change your opinions. That's what they are: Opinions. Not facts. I'm bolding this for emphasis, as if I haven't alluded to it enough: Opinions are allowed and supposed to change based on new evidence. Otherwise we'd be looking at The Rock and still think of him the same way you would Rocky Mavia. Or we'd look at current soundcloud gangster Usos in the same way we would at the Lite-Brite Usos of the past. Or we'd look at WC Hall of Famer Jimmy Wang Yang and discuss him like he's still one third of the Flying Elvises, which in this example is still good but not as good as Jimmy Wang Yang.

WC, who has made a turn in your mind, in one way or another?

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Who have you recently 'turned around' on?

Let's start off this thread with some positivity

Otis and Tucker comes to mind. I hated them in NXT, I didn't care for anything they did but then they joined the main roster and they have sort of clicked for me. Otis became more funnier (that Bliss angle was absolutely hilarious) and Tucker has really been fun in the matches, impressed me tons.

Keep dreaming

Status
      Country                    UK

R-Truth. I’d not enjoyed anything he had done since probably 2011 with the Little Jimmy schtick and I’d long wondered what value he was bringing and why they were holding on to him, as he was barely featured properly on TV.

However, the Carmella pairing was a genius idea as they have ridiculous chemistry together and the 24/7 stuff has been brilliant since they introduced it.

People's Champion

Status

This would be better off in the general wrestling section so we can all contribute.

As for WWE.....its more that i have turned around on their product in general. Well in the form of 205 live. Its the best show they have. More times than not its a great wrestling show with a great banger of a main event. Its too bad its become a feeder brand like nxt. I still wish for the day that Rey, Ali, Cedric and the guys under 205 to actually be on that brand.

The rest of WWE isnt my cup of tea. Nxt is okish. Outside of UE. I dont care for it

As for wrestlers....Matt Taven. Hes working his ass off and hes pretty entertaining.
    Last edited by indyfan; 09-11-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    This would be better off in the general wrestling section so we can all contribute.
    This is a good suggestion. Thanks Indy! Thread has been moved to the Gen. Discussion section.

Looking back, I don't know why it didn't occur to me to put it here.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

Say My Name

Status

I'm going to go the other way.

I thought Drew McIntyre was going to be huge and their next main eventer but I have to say he really doesn't do anything for me and I don't think he has really had a great match in recent times. A shame really.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post

I thought Drew McIntyre was going to be huge and their next main eventer but I have to say he really doesn't do anything for me and I don't think he has really had a great match in recent times. A shame really.
    I often wonder if that falls on WWE. His time away from WWE, he was tearing it up in Evolve and PWG. How can it be possible? He wasnt all that great in WWE. Leaves and turns heads...then goes back to WWE and not as hot as he was
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Mike Kanellis idk if it is because of the demons he has faced and the booking he has been used for but I used to hate the guy. He is alright now though it might be out of pity.

Mojo Rawley is another guy I like that I used to think he was bad but hactually good in ring and decent on mic.

Jinder Mahal I hated him and then he won the title and I was like ummmmm..... But he looks great and played a good heel.

I liked Brock Lesnar until he came back in 2011-2012 to now because his matches bore me he seems uninspired and just doesn't give a damn its crazy to me that people love him he just sucks imo.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    I often wonder if that falls on WWE. His time away from WWE, he was tearing it up in Evolve and PWG. How can it be possible? He wasnt all that great in WWE. Leaves and turns heads...then goes back to WWE and not as hot as he was
    He got pretty stale in PWG and EVOLVE too, and his Impact run wasn't that great, it was merely better than a lot of other guys they had at the time. Drew was great in his first WWE stint and I do think they have dropped the ball with booking him, but a lot of it is also on him simply not being the great worker some think he is.

I guess for me the answer is Kofi Kingston. For years he was terrible, then as part of the New Day he really gelled as a tag team guy, now I am enjoying his main event singles run. Granted, there is a lot of good will there, but I think he has definitely improved as a worker over the years.

R.I.P. Lionheart

Status
    Tannadice Park, Now Residing at The Emirates
      Country                    Scotland

I used to a MASSIVE Marty Scurll fan, I even managed to get some of my friends into wrestling by showing them some old 2015-16 Marty promos, I was even in the minority that liked his comedy matches, but I feel like he has lost a lot of luster by not leaving for AEW, and it's effected the way I view his ROH matches

Impact 2014: Rebranding When It Mattered
    Vinny Ru's Black & Red Kru: WCW 2000.....Help.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    I used to a MASSIVE Marty Scurll fan, I even managed to get some of my friends into wrestling by showing them some old 2015-16 Marty promos, I was even in the minority that liked his comedy matches, but I feel like he has lost a lot of luster by not leaving for AEW, and it's effected the way I view his ROH matches
    If it makes you feel better, the only reason he stayed in ROH was because he had longer to run on hos contract than the rest of his buddies. Most reports are saying his contract ends in October/November.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

R.I.P. Lionheart

Status
    Tannadice Park, Now Residing at The Emirates
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    If it makes you feel better, the only reason he stayed in ROH was because he had longer to run on hos contract than the rest of his buddies. Most reports are saying his contract ends in October/November.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Dave mate, that's music to my ears :D

Impact 2014: Rebranding When It Mattered
    Vinny Ru's Black & Red Kru: WCW 2000.....Help.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    Dave mate, that's music to my ears :D
    I hope he stays in ROH since they need him. However, hes overrated and i doubt being in AEW will change that.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post

Well he hasn't had much of a chance to do much to be fair. He's been wrestling nothing matches since WrestleMania basically. His series with Ambrose was pretty sick imo. I'm still very high on him but WWE is definitely taking away my incentive to root for him.

I'll second the love for Heavy Machinery. They look great since hitting the main roster.

Rowan comes to mind. I always felt he was a few levels below Wyatt, Strowman and Harper. This latest storyline has me feeling like he could be a WWE Championship challenger and I wouldn't mind it at all.

Outside of WWE I give props to Cody who is having an excellent year. I never had a problem with him and in fact I was a big fan of Dashing and Grotesque Cody Rhodes. But he's really come into his own with AEW and is one of my favorite things going.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

Let's start with a positive before I hit the negatives.

Sasha Banks: I used to dislike her because I heard she had backstage heat with Alexa for really stupid reasons. When she took the time off and I found out how passionate she was about her character, booking, and position on the women's division, it really made my view of her turn. It was never her in-ring work, I always thought that was good. I guess this kind of goes to show how much it sucks nowadays, that we have all this insider info and how it can sway our views on someone.

Bray Wyatt: I thought he had gone to complete shit after the whole Orton WM match. I really did not think there was any coming back for him, but man, was I wrong. Currently has one of the best things going on in the WWE.

Buddy Murphy: Thought this guy was a complete dud in NXT. His real turnaround was when he got to be on 205 and had some great heel work.

Okay, now onto the negatives...

Seth Rollins: I will never get over that cringe pre-SummerSlam promo. Nor will I get over that Becky called him her bitch on live television.

Mike Kanellis: Thought this guy was great in Impact with the whole Moose storyline and whatnot. Now he's just appearing and disappearing randomly. Doesn't do much for me anymore.

Gallows and Anderson: Don't get me wrong, I still really like them at the moment. They just can't get over on their own without a stable or a leader of some sort.

Elias: Used to really dig the guy. He's kind of run really stale, and it's because they don't really give him any meaningful role other than I'm going to sit in the ring and someone's going to interrupt me every time.

Dolph Ziggler: How many years can you cry about being held back, carrying the company on your back, and putting on the best performances, especially when you've stopped putting on great matches. Idk.

Relentless Admin

Status

There’s probably more, but right now the number 1 recent U-turn I’ve done is on Cody. I had no use for him until double or nothing but now he’s turned into one of my favourite AEW guys.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

I forgot to mention how much I currently despise Gargano. I liked him in DIY and if you told me during that time that Ciampa would be the stud of that team, I would've probably not gave enough shits about either of them to laugh in your face, but I definitely would've rolled my eyes. I just don't buy Gargano as a top guy, all the superhero based entrance gear for literally every TakeOver, the Super Cena like kickouts every match. Just watching him irritates me tbh.

People's Champion

Status

Kenny Omega

I used to hate Omega back in 2009. Now i find his matches pretty captivating. His matches with Okada and Jericho helped turn him around for me.

Gargano.

I didnt care for Gargano back in DGUSA. He was ok but he seemed over rated. I enjoyed all of his DIY work and his feud vs Ciampa.

Jericho

I loved Jericho since 1997 until he came back with his short hair. In 2008/2009 i started hating Jericho. Weird too because i enjoyed his work with Rey. Now i find hes one of the best in the world. Him breaking away from WWE was a godsend for pro wrestling. Guys a genius.
    Last edited by indyfan; 09-12-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Sasha Banks. I've always acknowledged her talents but tended to focus on her flaws. But I'm really digging her as a heel, and there's one inescapable truth with Sasha; she brings out the absolute best of everyone around her. I think she tends to overestimate her own talents and athletic ability which has put her in some dangerous spots in the ring but she pulls everyone else up. Even Alexa Bliss had by far her best match with Sasha, they were still terrible matches but Sasha as I said gets the best out of everyone. I think during her mostly aimless babyface run wit was easy to forget how good she can be when she's allowed to really perform. She's instantly saved Becky Lynch's horrible Title run.
    Last edited by ETE; 09-14-2019 at 12:21 AM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Bray Wyatt. He's been ass for almost all of his WWE run and the thought of a return and a big push made me shudder. But the firefly funhouse stuff has been superb and very creative.

Won't put it past WWE or Bray to fuck it up, but for now I love it.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Thread Information