Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WWE Smackdown Live Discussion - September 10, 2019

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: WWE Smackdown Live Discussion - September 10, 2019

It would honestly make more sense for Gable to win in the classic, heel thinks he’s got it won only for the plucky underdog face to reverse his finisher for the upset win. It doesn’t matter, because the “title” of KOTR won’t mean shit at the end of the day, but it would make more sense to get Gable over even more than this tournament already has.

I wouldn’t mind if Corbin won either mind you, but his standing won’t change if he doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars of 2019~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    It would honestly make more sense for Gable to win in the classic, heel thinks he’s got it won only for the plucky underdog face to reverse his finisher for the upset win. It doesn’t matter, because the “title” of KOTR won’t mean shit at the end of the day, but it would make more sense to get Gable over even more than this tournament already has.

I wouldn’t mind if Corbin won either mind you, but his standing won’t change if he doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I cant remember a baby face doing anything with a Royal gimmick even Austin when he won didn't do a royal gimmick the KOTR def feels like a heel thing to win.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

Well, Austin was a heel so..

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    I cant remember a baby face doing anything with a Royal gimmick even Austin when he won didn't do a royal gimmick the KOTR def feels like a heel thing to win.
    Austin was a heel when he won KOTR.

The only babyface that properly did a royal gimmick after winning a crown was Jim Duggan in 1989. Granted, that was the King of the WWE and not King of the Ring, but Duggan would take King Haku's gimmick by coming out wearing a crown and a cape.

That ended when Randy Savage beat him to become the new King of the WWE and The Macho King was born.

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Well, Austin was a heel so..
    Yeah I just realized that nvm

Can a babyface King work?

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Yeah I just realized that nvm

Can a babyface King work?
    I think anything can work if booked right. Idk how a babyface King Gable would work though. I guess he could be like "the people's king" or they could call him the king of wrestling or suplexes. But really I don't think the winner needs to do a king gimmick in the end either though.

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I think anything can work if booked right. Idk how a babyface King Gable would work though. I guess he could be like "the people's king" or they could call him the king of wrestling or suplexes. But really I don't think the winner needs to do a king gimmick in the end either though.
    I mean they could have Cesaro as the "King Of Wrestling"

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

Say My Name

Status
      Country                    England

I think they should do it with Gable and just have him with the robe and stuff for a few weeks and then drop it. This whole thing would work if the winner got a world title shot.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    I think they should do it with Gable and just have him with the robe and stuff for a few weeks and then drop it. This whole thing would work if the winner got a world title shot.
    Why does the winner have to receive a World Title shot in order for it to work?

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    Rumor is...McIntyre was slated to win and go on to facecRollins at HiaC while The Fiend feuded with The Miz. With The Fiend getting popular and McIntyre nursing a minor injury plans switched.

As an aside, wyatt was going to do Firefly Fun House episodes directed at Monroe Skye.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I can kind of understand the thoughts behind that. The king of the ring is advertised as a prestigious tournament that elevates careers, it would make sense for the winner to get more than just a prop cape and crown. Does it necessarily need to be the World title? I don't think so. However, they should immediately be put into some sort of title contention.

Keep dreaming

Status
      Country                    UK

I think if Gable were to win it it would make sense for him to go after Nakamura and the IC Title, as I can’t see him fitting into either World Title picture going into HIAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I can kind of understand the thoughts behind that. The king of the ring is advertised as a prestigious tournament that elevates careers, it would make sense for the winner to get more than just a prop cape and crown. Does it necessarily need to be the World title? I don't think so. However, they should immediately be put into some sort of title contention.
    In fairness, it's never been like that. In the history of KOTR, the only time a winner was given the prize of an automatic title shot was 2002. The importance of the tournament is meant to be simply being able to state that you did this rare feat. It's similar to back when The Streak was a thing at Wrestlemania. Ending The Streak wasn't a proper prize, but rather something to boast about as being a big accomplishment.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

In fairness, it's never been like that. In the history of KOTR, the only time a winner was given the prize of an automatic title shot was 2002. The importance of the tournament is meant to be simply being able to state that you did this rare feat. It's similar to back when The Streak was a thing at Wrestlemania. Ending The Streak wasn't a proper prize, but rather something to boast about as being a big accomplishment.
    Yeah I get that. By no means does the tournament need to have a stipulation that the winner gets a title shot. In kayfabe though, if you win the tournament that's considered to have some of the best talent in the world competing, I think the next logical thing would be to challenge for at least the IC/US title. I mean I said logical, but this is WWE, and like AJ said on Raw, guess it's whoever looks at the belt first

I think the concern is, people would hate for Gable to win and just fade into obscurity in 2-3 months. If not an IC/US title feud, he should be put into a big singles feud.

Also, have they cut the Sami/Shinsuke alliance already? Because Sami came out to get chokeslammed by Taker, and then Shinsuke came out by himself and just refused to speak English on commentary.

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    Rumor is...McIntyre was slated to win and go on to facecRollins at HiaC while The Fiend feuded with The Miz. With The Fiend getting popular and McIntyre nursing a minor injury plans switched.

As an aside, wyatt was going to do Firefly Fun House episodes directed at Monroe Skye.
    That would actually be pretty disturbining.

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

Keep dreaming

Status
      Country                    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Yeah I get that. By no means does the tournament need to have a stipulation that the winner gets a title shot. In kayfabe though, if you win the tournament that's considered to have some of the best talent in the world competing, I think the next logical thing would be to challenge for at least the IC/US title. I mean I said logical, but this is WWE, and like AJ said on Raw, guess it's whoever looks at the belt first

I think the concern is, people would hate for Gable to win and just fade into obscurity in 2-3 months. If not an IC/US title feud, he should be put into a big singles feud.

Also, have they cut the Sami/Shinsuke alliance already? Because Sami came out to get chokeslammed by Taker, and then Shinsuke came out by himself and just refused to speak English on commentary.
    I want to say that Sami wasn’t there to sell the Chokeslam but who knows?

Say My Name

Status
      Country                    England

I mean you could use the fact Gable gets a world title shot rather than focusing on the shitty King gimmick which they will. Wasn't clear in my phrasing.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Thread Information