Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1858666768
Results 1,341 to 1,349 of 1349

Thread: 2019 NFL Season Discussion (100th Year Special!)

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: 2019 NFL Season Discussion (100th Year Special!)

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Don't losing teams that make the playoffs usually pick up a playoff win?

Can't wait to see the Redskins turn over the 49ers in the wildcard round.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    It's only happened once, with the 7-9 Seahawks and that memorable Marshawn Lynch run. However, there have been a few 8-8 teams to make it too. Not sure how many win. Bu t its crazy that a team could technically go 15-1 and be a wild card, and have to go on the road and play a team with a losing record.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Divisions are dumb, and this is true for all sports.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    Divisions are dumb, and this is true for all sports.
    I like the way they encourage rivalries and create more meaningful games amongst that division and conference, but I do see the argument against.

This is probably a thought for the other thread, but given that team division rivalries don't exist and the conferences have been so skewed for so long in the NBA, I've been advocating recently for blowing up conferences in that league and just having the top 16 make the playoffs.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I like the way they encourage rivalries and create more meaningful games amongst that division and conference, but I do see the argument against.

This is probably a thought for the other thread, but given that team division rivalries don't exist and the conferences have been so skewed for so long in the NBA, I've been advocating recently for blowing up conferences in that league and just having the top 16 make the playoffs.
    Oh, they are the worst in the NBA. For sure.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Cardcaptor

Status

Yeah, I like the rivalries.

Plus, we all know how a division game between two teams can be totally different than other regular games. A really strong team can lose to a pretty poor one due to being a heated division game.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Status

I actually think they should go the opposite way. I love the current NFL's set up with 32 teams, and four divisions with four teams in each conference. I wish the NBA and MLB would follow suit. I don't like the three division conferences.

I just think they need to do away with the way seeding is ordered is all.

American Ninja

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    It's only happened once, with the 7-9 Seahawks and that memorable Marshawn Lynch run. However, there have been a few 8-8 teams to make it too. Not sure how many win. Bu t its crazy that a team could technically go 15-1 and be a wild card, and have to go on the road and play a team with a losing record.
    That would be pretty crazy and if it happens I think it's a pretty clear sign that the format needs to change. I do like divisions but I've grown to detest the 2002 realignment(which was when they set things the way they are now with 4 team divisions). For starters I really dislike the concept of a 4 team division with the division winner guaranteed a home playoff spot. This is inherently flawed and it was made clear at the very start back when the NFL realigned into 4 team divisions the final years before the AFL merger(1967 to 1969) where in 1967 the very first year they did it you had the 11-1-2 Baltimore Colts miss the playoffs entirely because they finished second place in their division behind the 11-1-2 Rams on head to head tiebreakers(they played to a tie and then the rematch at the end of the season was essentially a defacto elimination game for the division title, won by the Rams). So you had three other division winners that all won 9 games in the playoffs and the team that only lost 1 game all year wasn't even in the tournament. This blows my mind. The 9-4-1 Packers went on to win the Super Bowl that year but the Colts had a win over them in the regular season that year who knows what would have happened in a playoff game.

I think divisions are fine they just need to have either A). more than 4 teams per division or B). winning the division has nothing to do with playoff seeding, go by records across the conference instead. I thought the division alignment they had from 95 to 98 was perfect, three divisions per conference with 5 teams per division, to win one of those divisions was to really earn that home playoff game imo. And I actually liked the 6 team AFC Central division when they brought the Browns back from 1999 to 2001, that was a tough and interesting division(Browns, Titans, Bengals, Ravens, Steelers, Jaguars).

So I'd like to see them do away with 1 division in each conference and get it back to 3 per conference instead of 4, two divisions of 5 teams and one with 6 in each conference would be ideal. Something like this:

NFC

Dallas
    Arizona
    New York
    Philadelphia
    Washington
    Baltimore

Detroit
    Green Bay
    Minnesota
    Chicago
    Tampa Bay

San Francisco
    Carolina
    Atlanta
    Los Angeles
    New Orleans

AFC

Buffalo
    Indianapolis
    Miami
    New England
    New York

Pittsburgh
    Cincinnati
    Cleveland
    Houston
    Tennessee
    Jacksonville

Denver
    Seattle
    Oakland
    Los Angeles
    Kansas City

Not a fan of the way the 2002 realignment split up Tampa from Green Bay/Chicago/Detroit/Minnesota or broke up the AFC West with Seattle to the NFC(which is still just weird to me seeing them in NFC playoffs or repping the NFC in the Super Bowl those years), or the whole AFC South in general(it was like it was tailor made for Peyton Manning, setting him up for nice weather games in Houston and Jacksonville with an annual return home to his alma matter in Tennessee every year). Looking at the AFC South now it kinda makes no sense, it was like they just took the teams that were left after putting everybody else in place and made the AFC South as an afterthought. I think Baltimore works better in the NFC than Seattle especially in the east with Tri-States regional rivalries set up against Washington, New York, and Philly. Keep Seattle in the AFC West and put Houston in the same division as the old rivals in the Browns/Steelers/Bengals from the Oilers days. Would have been way better. Far less likely to ever have losing teams in the playoffs with this format. Based on today's standings here is how the seedings would be in this format:

NFC:

1. Baltimore 10-2
    2. New Orleans 10-2
    3. Minnesota 8-4
    4. San Francisco 10-2
    5. Green Bay 9-3
    6. Los Angeles 7-5

AFC:

1. New England 10-2
    2. Seattle 10-2
    3. Houston 8-4
    4. Buffalo 9-3
    5. Kansas City 8-4
    6. Pittsburgh 7-5

That's much better, no losing team in the playoffs and Buffalo and San Fran get the home playoff games they deserve. 4 divisions per conference is just too many for a 32 team league. The 2002 realignment was a downgrade over the old format, I mean you got 7-9 teams getting home playoff games and #5 seeds with better records than the #4 seeds they are going on the road to play, that's broken.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; Yesterday at 11:43 PM.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Dallas
    Arizona
    New York
    Philadelphia
    Washington
    Baltimore
    How exactly is this split remotely fair to Arizona?

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Robert De Niro Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    That would be pretty crazy and if it happens I think it's a pretty clear sign that the format needs to change. I do like divisions but I've grown to detest the 2002 realignment(which was when they set things the way they are now with 4 team divisions). For starters I really dislike the concept of a 4 team division with the division winner guaranteed a home playoff spot. This is inherently flawed and it was made clear at the very start back when the NFL realigned into 4 team divisions the final years before the AFL merger(1967 to 1969) where in 1967 the very first year they did it you had the 11-1-2 Baltimore Colts miss the playoffs entirely because they finished second place in their division behind the 11-1-2 Rams on head to head tiebreakers(they played to a tie and then the rematch at the end of the season was essentially a defacto elimination game for the division title, won by the Rams). So you had three other division winners that all won 9 games in the playoffs and the team that only lost 1 game all year wasn't even in the tournament. This blows my mind. The 9-4-1 Packers went on to win the Super Bowl that year but the Colts had a win over them in the regular season that year who knows what would have happened in a playoff game.

I think divisions are fine they just need to have either A). more than 4 teams per division or B). winning the division has nothing to do with playoff seeding, go by records across the conference instead. I thought the division alignment they had from 95 to 98 was perfect, three divisions per conference with 5 teams per division, to win one of those divisions was to really earn that home playoff game imo. And I actually liked the 6 team AFC Central division when they brought the Browns back from 1999 to 2001, that was a tough and interesting division(Browns, Titans, Bengals, Ravens, Steelers, Jaguars).

So I'd like to see them do away with 1 division in each conference and get it back to 3 per conference instead of 4, two divisions of 5 teams and one with 6 in each conference would be ideal. Something like this:

NFC

Dallas
    Arizona
    New York
    Philadelphia
    Washington
    Baltimore

Detroit
    Green Bay
    Minnesota
    Chicago
    Tampa Bay

San Francisco
    Carolina
    Atlanta
    Los Angeles
    New Orleans

AFC

Buffalo
    Indianapolis
    Miami
    New England
    New York

Pittsburgh
    Cincinnati
    Cleveland
    Houston
    Tennessee
    Jacksonville

Denver
    Seattle
    Oakland
    Los Angeles
    Kansas City

Not a fan of the way the 2002 realignment split up Tampa from Green Bay/Chicago/Detroit/Minnesota or broke up the AFC West with Seattle to the NFC(which is still just weird to me seeing them in NFC playoffs or repping the NFC in the Super Bowl those years), or the whole AFC South in general(it was like it was tailor made for Peyton Manning, setting him up for nice weather games in Houston and Jacksonville with an annual return home to his alma matter in Tennessee every year). Looking at the AFC South now it kinda makes no sense, it was like they just took the teams that were left after putting everybody else in place and made the AFC South as an afterthought. I think Baltimore works better in the NFC than Seattle especially in the east with Tri-States regional rivalries set up against Washington, New York, and Philly. Keep Seattle in the AFC West and put Houston in the same division as the old rivals in the Browns/Steelers/Bengals from the Oilers days. Would have been way better. Far less likely to ever have losing teams in the playoffs with this format. Based on today's standings here is how the seedings would be in this format:

NFC:

1. Baltimore 10-2
    2. New Orleans 10-2
    3. Minnesota 8-4
    4. San Francisco 10-2
    5. Green Bay 9-3
    6. Los Angeles 7-5

AFC:

1. New England 10-2
    2. Seattle 10-2
    3. Houston 8-4
    4. Buffalo 9-3
    5. Kansas City 8-4
    6. Pittsburgh 7-5

That's much better, no losing team in the playoffs and Buffalo and San Fran get the home playoff games they deserve. 4 divisions per conference is just too many for a 32 team league. The 2002 realignment was a downgrade over the old format, I mean you got 7-9 teams getting home playoff games and #5 seeds with better records than the #4 seeds they are going on the road to play, that's broken.
    See I don't understand why Dallas is in the NFC East Washington, Philly, New York are close to each other but, Dallas isn't

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1858666768

Thread Information