Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: AEW - Full Gear - 11/09/2019

WAKE UP

Status

Re: AEW - Full Gear - 11/09/2019

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Cody vs Jericho was alright but slow paced, which I took as a tease for judges decision so I guess they worked me. Post match angle is awful, you have a low bar for good storytelling if you think the MJF turn was good. Why did he cheer Cody on for 30 minutes just to fuck him over?

I thought kenny vs Moxley really delivered, my motn with some brutal spots. If only Kenny had bothered to show some hate in the build this would of taken it to the next level.
    I think you can rationalize this as MJF didn't help Cody at all in the match or try to stop Hager from interfering. Guess we'll have to see what happens next but it didn't strike me as absurd watching it.

THE GOOD:

- The set and overall presentation throughout the show was pretty great, as with the TV it is a stark contrast to the soul-less corporate WWE presentation. Crowd was hot all night too.

- The tag title match was what you expect - a vanilla spotfest - which I have no interest in, but I will put this under The Good as it atleast wasn't terrible, went less than 15 minutes, and had a good angle at the end. As a match this wasn't as good as New Day vs Revival from Smackdown this week, and the Daniels return was predictable, but atleast it was predictable because it makes sense. I have no interest in Daniels in 2019 - the money match to run is Titles vs Masks, then move swiftly on.

- It's a testament to how good the build to Jericho vs Cody was that they got everyone so hyped up and made us all forget that this was still Jericho vs Cody in 2019. And that's what we got. Definitely not a great match, but it was solid atleast and they had a lot of the right idea. They did a lot right with the bladejob and Hager interference, but neither guy is good enough to fill a half hour match and the 'in-between' stuff was pretty dull. But I'll put in under Good as it was a SOLID match and I thought the MJF heel turn was well done. I am glad they are doing it now rather than drag it out longer. MJF is a pretty mediocre wrestler and I have no interest in an an actual match with Cody, but same as before I'm sure the promos will deliver.

- Omega vs Moxley was great I thought, but not without it's flaws, and we all know what they are. To the surprise of literally no one, they went too long and did way too much. No need for this to go 40 minutes, and by the time you get to the screwdriver you forget about the crazy chain stuff, and by the time you get to the exposed boards you forget about the spidernet bump, and by the time you get to the broken glass you forget all about the barbwire bats, and so on. Which is a real shame because they did a LOT of crazy, violent shit and really made the match feel dangerous. I enjoyed seeing New Japan six star workrate champion Omega getting carved up, but I do agree with Ed that he really needs to get better at conveying hatred in this sort of match. Still, a lot right, and thankfully the brawling in between the big spots was all pretty good. On firs watch this felt like a great match that stopped short of MOTYC level because of the length and overkill.

THE BAD:

- JR was pretty bad all night. He wasn't dumping on wrestlers as much, but there were a lot of awkward moments when he'd make WWE references and Excal was clearly trying to steer him away from them. They need to switch him with Tony - Tony feels like a lapsed fan rediscovering his love for wrestling watching AEW, JR feels like an old man who the industry has passed by

- P'N'P Express vs Bucks was a solid match, but definitely not the slam dunk some people think they will have together. First half was some weird heel-in-peril stuff, then Nick gets his leg worked over and we get typical "ah my leg hurts, now let me hit some kicks and jumps" selling. Granted, they did do a couple of big spots where the injury stopped him from hitting their trademark offence, which I liked but, still a so-so match. PNP looked good, especially Ortiz, and the right team won, and I am already a massive fan of Sammy G as the douchebag floozy of the IC. HOWEVER the stuff with RNR Express after was totally unnecassary and 100% the sort of thing WWE gets dunked on for (rightfully). Heels win then get goofed by a couple of guys in their 50s. If Ricky Morton hitting the flip piledriver isn't the level of business-exposing absurdity we need to hit for that move to be retired, then God help us.

- Page vs PAC- boring workfest match. Watched it live and already can't remember anything about it. Finish was decent atleast, but Page just isn't the guy.

- Spears vs Janela - on a 7 match card, this felt like a wasted spot. I get they are committed to pushing Spears, and atleast this wasn't a 50-50 match, but this was a TV match thrown on PPV last minute. They could have atleast put Darby in Janela's spot to add more juice as he has been pushed in the last month or so.

- Womans title match wasn't BAD but wasn't GOOD either. Sakura's heel Freddy Mercury schtick is just baffling. She is a 14 year veteran so has a place as 'good hand' but clearly isn't a top flight worker, and neither is Riho. They put this match together on TV last week and only minutes before the match referenced their history together. Still, 200+ matches against each other, you'd think they knock it out the park, and what we got was pretty average. Riho's body looks like it hasn't developed since she was 9 years old, I am sure there is something to be said about the effects of pro wrestling training from such a young age, but I'm not going to get into that. Omega really needs to get over his joshi fetish and bring in someone like Madison Eagles or Mercedes Martinez to carry this division.

Backyarder

Status
      Country                    United States

Britt Baker/Bea Priestley was good though Bea carried Britt the whole match. Britt still needs a bunch more work in the ring but I slowly see her getting better. Not sure where this feud goes from here.

I thought PNP/Young Bucks was a very good opener, I was really into it. Ortiz sell game is so ridiculous and over the top but I love it.

Spears/Janela was a waste of time to me. I don't think it needed be on this PPV, it screamed filler match and barely had any hype or story to it I thought it was pretty forgettable, tbh. I really like both wrestlers but was just bored by this.

I had technical difficulties and didn't get to see Pac/Hangman, only like the first 2 minutes so I'll have to re-watch it. Pac never disappoints in the ring so no issues there. I really love Hangman but I've always said that there's something missing with him. I think a good heel turn is what he needs. Plus he needs to stop pulling out that beautiful moonsault every match, jeez! Save it for really special moments. I think he still needs some more in-ring work, he relies on the same 5 moves each match and I find him very repetitive now.

3-Way Tag Match was solid, wasn't great. Lucha Bros stood out to me as usual, those guys are AWESOME. I knew SCU would retain, was way too early for them to lose. Nice that Daniels is back but him dressing up as Pentagon was unnecessary lol.

Riho/Emi was a solid, technical wrestling match. I liked it but you could tell the crowd wasn't feeling it which is a shame. I blame AEW for that, they barely told the story on these two and left that to Emi Sakura to do that on her Twitter which is just terrible. These ladies had no build-up to this whatsoever, barely any promo segments, I was really disappointed about that. It felt like this was another throwaway match on the card. I really like Emi, but her heel Freddy Mercury gimmick confuses me, I don't really get it.

Cody/Jericho was okay. Hell of a bump Cody took, I was worried. You could tell that was NOT a blade job, the cut over his eye was crescent-shaped as if it matched the outline of the ramp, plus his eye was swelling up. Jericho is just slow in the ring but that's to be expected, he's heavy and almost 50. I prefer him in 10-15 minute matches, nothing more than that. I was really shocked at the towel ending and thought "wow, the IWC is gonna hate that" and then MJF just turned on Cody like that. I actually though it was way too predictable and too soon for him to do that but it was executed brilliantly. Well done, AEW. It's still being debated whether plants or actual fans threw that beer at him but either way, it was an amazing visual and so well-timed, we'll be seeing that replay for years. I'm excited for the MJF/Cody feud.

My MOTN was Moxley/Omega. I'm not into hardcore matches that much but this was BRUTAL. Moxley did promise beautiful wrestling violence we hadn't seen in decades and we sure got it lol. I've tried to get my boyfriend into AEW and had him take a peek at this match but he wasn't feeling it, he kept saying how the props looked faked, blah blah blah. I guess that'll always be wrestling's biggest obstacle to gaining new fans, overcoming the whole "this is fake" argument.

JR was annoying on commentary as usual but I noticed he did a better job of putting over a lot of the talent. Tony was incredibly missed though. Excalibur is great as usual. I hope Taz gets signed with AEW, I love his work in the booth. I would love it to be Tony, Taz and Excalibur on commentary and JR only on the PPVs.

The Baltimore crowd was 50/50 throughout the night, they were loud for some things and very quiet for others.

EDIT: So I originally gave the show a 7.75/10, I was able to watch Pac and Hangman in its entirety and I enjoyed it. Overall, I thought this was a solid good show, very good storytelling throughout the night, solid wrestling, hell of a main event. Can't wait to see what happents on Wednesday which is always what you want to feel after a PPV. Definitely worth $50. I'll give the show 8.5/10.
    Last edited by boomkattack; 11-10-2019 at 03:02 PM.

PROVERBS 3:5-6

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    I think you can rationalize this as MJF didn't help Cody at all in the match or try to stop Hager from interfering. Guess we'll have to see what happens next but it didn't strike me as absurd watching it.
    Eh, he was still willing to get beaten up by Hager, and I'm not sure your points are strong enough to accept MJF standing there cheering on Cody for half an hour, and coming to his rescue on Dynamite on wednesday. My main issue with it was they had the chance to tell a better story with more teases and turns and stronger character depth for MJF and they went for cliche heel turn 101. This could of been a stretched out across weeks and weeks of TV whereby the Cody/MJF friendship breaks down over the towel throw, the reasons why MJF did it, maybe Cody reacts badly to it, shuns MJF and it gives him a motive to want to move on from being Cody's friend. Now Cody won't be reacting to the towel throw, he'll be reacting to the low blow and physical attack. I said after Dynamite, Cody was hinting at Inner Circle Vs Elite in some kind of wargames match, but now Cody's attention is go to MJF instead. For me it was way too early to start this feud.

In the same way, it's kind of my problem with the Dustin/Cody feud where people are seeing a moment and thinking that's cool, that was executed well, what great storytelling but when you think about it logically there's flaws in the story and a conclusion was rushed.

LOL at Meltzer hating on the Omega/Moxley match, being concerned for their safety and worrying about the effect this match will have on the future of the business when he'd pimped out much more dangerous matches in his time. gimmicked Sugar glass and mouse traps Vs Ibushi and Naito landing on their necks over and over and over again?

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

The reporters calling the Omega/Moxley match too dangerous baffles me so much. I really hope AEW see all the positive reactions from the fans in response to that match, as opposed to clowns like Meltzer.

I agree with Ed, and it was why I didn't see the turn coming at this particular show. It just wasn't time for this turn. People are eating up the Elite/Inner Circle feud, and they could have easily stretched it for the next PPV in a huge War Games type of match. We haven't even seen Hager wrestle, and there were a lot of combination of matches remaining to be done here. Heck, you could have even done a redemption arc where Dustin wants to get the title off Jericho with the motive that it doesn't matter what Cody said, since Cody forced him into his last few matches at DON, FFTF, etc. Obviously have Dustin lose, but the thing practically wrote itself. The MJF/Cody relationship could have been milked so much more, people are so sucked into anything either of those 2 say as soon as a microphone is in their hand, it's a lost opportunity for merch as well. Wasted opportunity for a slow-burn that had people hooked.

Nonetheless, I am curious what the next step will be for MJF/Cody.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Eh, he was still willing to get beaten up by Hager, and I'm not sure your points are strong enough to accept MJF standing there cheering on Cody for half an hour, and coming to his rescue on Dynamite on wednesday. My main issue with it was they had the chance to tell a better story with more teases and turns and stronger character depth for MJF and they went for cliche heel turn 101. This could of been a stretched out across weeks and weeks of TV whereby the Cody/MJF friendship breaks down over the towel throw, the reasons why MJF did it, maybe Cody reacts badly to it, shuns MJF and it gives him a motive to want to move on from being Cody's friend. Now Cody won't be reacting to the towel throw, he'll be reacting to the low blow and physical attack. I said after Dynamite, Cody was hinting at Inner Circle Vs Elite in some kind of wargames match, but now Cody's attention is go to MJF instead. For me it was way too early to start this feud.

In the same way, it's kind of my problem with the Dustin/Cody feud where people are seeing a moment and thinking that's cool, that was executed well, what great storytelling but when you think about it logically there's flaws in the story and a conclusion was rushed.

LOL at Meltzer hating on the Omega/Moxley match, being concerned for their safety and worrying about the effect this match will have on the future of the business when he'd pimped out much more dangerous matches in his time. gimmicked Sugar glass and mouse traps Vs Ibushi and Naito landing on their necks over and over and over again?
    Put this match next to Foley vs Orton and there isn't a ton of difference, and yet Foley vs Orton got a big rating and praise. Odd.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread Information