Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AWA 1989: A Financial Savior Is (Badly) Needed

I’m Not Booked!

Status

Re: AWA 1989: A Financial Savior Is (Badly) Needed

Quote Originally Posted by vadermania View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem like interest in the BTB section is going down?

What happened to all the fun creativity that was going on in here a little over a year ago?
    There's less activity on here than there has been in the last year, but these things happen from time to time.

However, I think it's a little disrespectful to the people who are posting to suggest there isn't enough "fun creativity". Especially from someone who hasn't posted an actual show in this thread yet. There's plenty of awesome stuff going on here, there's just fewer active posts than at some other times.

WWF- 1991 And Beyond

Status
      Country                    United States

Is it just me or does it seem like interest in the BTB section is going down?

What happened to all the fun creativity that was going on in here a little over a year ago?
    I think if anything, this time period every year sees less activity. Between people who usually go back to school or teaching and are swamped with the toll it takes on you in the start of the year, and the King of the BTB tourney going on at the same time, it is a hectic few weeks.

I really don’t agree with the “fun creativity” part though. For over the past year the same awesome threads have been running (Keef, Wolf, OMB) plus BigMC, Chaddes, Deco And Skeng, Shade, Homie D Clown, and Roy Mustang, all still doing their thing. I suggest you read around my friend, because this place is as strong creatively as it’s ever been since I’ve been here.
    Last edited by BattleTank; 09-17-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Raiders go 8-8 in '19

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I don't mean to come across like a dick, but if interest in the BTB section is down, it's not exactly helped by the fact that this thread has been up for three weeks without it officially starting and now it's morphing into an unusual media thread. For comparison sake, your last BTB had its first show up about twelve hours after you created the thread.
    I admit this is a slow burn storyline that I'm putting together. I'm throwing up classic matches once a week now (they'll be posted on Mondays) just to give readers a feel for what the promotion was like in its heyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    There's less activity on here than there has been in the last year, but these things happen from time to time.

However, I think it's a little disrespectful to the people who are posting to suggest there isn't enough "fun creativity". Especially from someone who hasn't posted an actual show in this thread yet. There's plenty of awesome stuff going on here, there's just fewer active posts than at some other times.
    There are well written projects on here. But there just seems to be a lot less of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleTank View Post
    I think if anything, this time period every year sees less activity. Between people who usually go back to school or teaching and are swamped with the toll it takes on you in the start of the year, and the King of the BTB tourney going on at the same time, it is a hectic few weeks.

I really don’t agree with the “fun creativity” part though. For over the past year the same awesome threads have been running (Keef, Wolf, OMB) plus BigMC, Chaddes, Deco And Skeng, Shade, Homie D Clown, and Roy Mustang, all still doing their thing. I suggest you read around my friend, because this place is as strong creatively as it’s ever been since I’ve been here.
    There's still good creativity in here. It's just slower in here and I don't recall it being that way in the past.

Raiders go 8-8 in '19

Status

SPRING 1989

Verne Gagne called both Wally Karbo and son Greg Gagne into his office at the AWA HQ.

Wally arrived first. The door was open.

Wally: Cadet Karbo reporting for duty.

Wally gave a mock salute. Verne laughed.

Verne: Have a seat, Wally.

Wally came in and sat in a chair across the desk from Verne.

Greg then showed up.

Greg: Knock, knock.

Verne: Come on in, son.

Greg walked in and sat down in a chair next to Karbo.

Verne: I called you guys in here to let you know that we'll be having our big meeting in two days. Come ready to pitch your ideas as to what we should do with the company.

Greg, I talked to Eric Bischoff the other day and he swears he's not the fourth man coming to the meeting. I'm looking you in the eye, son. Was Bischoff telling me the truth?

Greg: Dad, you know another person's coming. But I can guarantee you it's not Eric Bischoff.

Verne: He told me that he has an idea for something called the Team Challenge Series. Do either of you know what it is?

Wally: Never heard of it.

Greg: Heard mention of it but that's about it.

Verne leaned forward, placed his elbows on the desk and rubbed his hands together.

Verne: Hmmm...

Do you know any details about it?

Greg: Nothing. But it sounds like it could be an intriguing concept.

Verne: I was thinking that myself.

Wally: Maybe we could invite him to the meeting and have him explain it to us. It doesn't hurt to listen.

Verne: And he isn't the fourth man you mentioned the other day, Greg?

Greg: A thousand times no. Bischoff is not who I was speaking of.

Verne sat contemplating the situation.

Verne: Wally, tell Bischoff he's coming to our meeting in two days and that he needs to explain this...Team Challenge Series.

Wally: OK, boss. Will do.

Greg: So, five of us will be there now.

Verne: Looks that way.

Greg: Looks like the road to resolving the future of the AWA has begun.

Verne and Wally nodded in agreement.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Raiders go 8-8 in '19

Status

Accidentally posted my ad here instead of in the BTB Ad Thread. It has been successfully moved.

Last edited by vadermania; 09-19-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Raiders go 8-8 in '19

Status

SPRING 1989

THE MEETING!

It's 10 am in St. Louis Park, MN.

At the AWA headquarters four men are sitting around a table in the conference room.

Those men are: Verne Gagne, Greg Gagne, Wally Karbo and Eric Bischoff.

The mystery person Greg has promised would arrive has yet to make their appearance.

Verne: Where is this person you promised was going to be here, Greg?

Greg: They got stuck in traffic but he'll be here. They're just a little behind schedule.

Verne: We don't have all day and this meeting is the most important one we've ever had. The fate of the AWA hangs in the balance here.

Wally: Maybe we should use that as an angle.

Verne: What?

Wally: The fate of the AWA hanging in the balance. Fans would tune in every week to see if we're still on the air...

Greg: Maybe we could have someone like Bischoff here play an evil TV exec threatening to pull the plug on the TV show every week.

Eric: Guys...

Wally (excitedly): We'll put him in a black cape and top hat! He'll be like Snidely Whiplash!

Verne was getting agitated.

Greg: Maybe we could have Wayne Bloom or Mike Enos play Dudley Doright and come in and save the day!

Greg and Wally were laughing out loud.

Verne (boiling): Alright! That's enough! Cut the crap you two! This is serious!

Greg and Wally toned down their revelry.

Greg: Sorry, dad. Just trying to lighten the mood a little.

Verne: Well... This is no laughing matter. We could be closing our doors soon.

Eric.

Eric: Yes, sir.

Verne: Do you have your presentation for this Team Challenge Series idea ready to go?

Eric: I do.

Verne: Good. We'll start with that when the person Greg invited to the meeting arrives if they ever get here.

Greg: They'll be here.

Verne looked at his watch.

Verne: It's 10 after 10. Meeting was supposed to start at 10. I'll give them 20 more minutes to arrive and if they aren't here then we'll just have to start without them.

Greg: If they arrive after the meeting starts then I'll fill them in on what they missed.

Verne: How about some food and drink?

Wally: Sounds good to me.

Eric: Fine.

Greg: OK.

Verne picked up the phone at the head of the conference table where he was sitting and dialed.

Verne: Jessica, could you bring us some coffee and pastries.

Verne listened briefly.

Verne: OK. Thank you.

Eric was poring over his presentation.

Verne: Everything OK, Eric?

Eric: Yes, sir. Just making sure I have everything in order for the presentation.

Verne: That's good. Remember, you only get one shot at this. Don't blow it.

Eric: Understood.

There was a knock on the door.

Verne: Come in.

Verne's secretary Jessica opened the door and came into the conference room pushing a cart.

Jessica: Good morning all.

Verne, Greg, Wally and Eric all said 'Good morning' in unison.

Jessica wheeled the cart over and off-loaded the platter of pastries and coffee onto the table. She then started placing paper cups, sugar, cream, napkins and plasticware on the table.

Verne: Is Tamra home?

Jessica didn't hear Verne's question as she was busy off-loading.

Verne: Jessica.

Jessica stopped what she was doing.

Jessica: Huh?

Verne: Is Tamra home?

Jessica: Oh! Yes, she is. Tamra's back from her trip. You should see this mask she bought. Really creepy.

Verne: That's good.

Jessica finished off-loading.

Jessica: Will there be anything else?

Verne: That's all, Jessica. Thank you.

Jessica wheeled the cart out of the conference room and shut the door behind her.

The guys ate and drank coffee during a few minutes of uneasy silence.

Verne again looked at his watch.

Verne: Greg, it looks like your invitee is not going to make it by the designated time unless they arrive in the next few minutes.

Greg: They're coming. Don't worry about it. They would not miss this.

Verne: Well, I'm about to call this mee...

There was a knock on the door and everything seemed to stop dead in its tracks.

Verne looked up at the door.

Verne: Come in.

The door opened slowly and it was...

FIND OUT IN PART 2 OF THE MEETING!!!
    Last edited by vadermania; 09-21-2019 at 02:42 PM.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

So, is "fun creativity" in your mind posting Youtube links and writing up meetings? Everyone's got their own opinions and preferences but after reading your comments and basically shutting down everyone else's work and creativity on this forum, I expected to see a lot more from your "BTB" at this stage.

Two pages In and we can all look forward to another meeting.. Great

Good luck with this! I'm looking forward to seeing your first show and the creativity that will come with this project.

"LET ME IN.."

Raiders go 8-8 in '19

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Deco90 View Post
    So, is "fun creativity" in your mind posting Youtube links and writing up meetings? Everyone's got their own opinions and preferences but after reading your comments and basically shutting down everyone else's work and creativity on this forum, I expected to see a lot more from your "BTB" at this stage.

Two pages In and we can all look forward to another meeting.. Great

Good luck with this! I'm looking forward to seeing your first show and the creativity that will come with this project.
    I responded to this matter in Post #23.

As for this thread, it's going to be different from most in that it will be heavy in dealing with the business side of things.

I responded to this matter in Post #23.

As for this thread, it's going to be different from most in that it will be heavy in dealing with the business side of things.
    Well, when does the business part begin? This latest chapter was just a bunch of guys waiting around a table with Jessica hardly being the employee of the month. Get your shit together, Jessica!

Raiders go 8-8 in '19

Status

This week's classic AWA match/angle comes from 1986.

The angle is one of the best of the '80s IMHO.

It's Larry Zbysko vs. Jimmy Snuka:

https://youtu.be/Ghk7Eqe-lqU

ENJOY!

Be sure to check back every Monday for classic AWA video footage!

(Part 2 of The Meeting is coming soon!)
    Last edited by vadermania; 09-23-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Raiders go 8-8 in '19

Status

THE MEETING (PART 2)

The door to the conference room opened and a man walked into the room.

Verne: Al?!

It was AWA TV producer Al Derusha.

Verne: What are you do... Greg, was Al the man you refused to tell me was coming to the meeting?

Greg: It was, dad.

Al sat down next to Greg.

Verne: What does Al have to do with this matter? Al, get back to putting together the TV's.

Al: I need to be here, Verne.

Verne: Why?

Al and Greg looked at one another.

Greg: It'll all be explained later. Maybe we should get on with the meeting.

Verne shook his head in disbelief.

Verne: Let's get started.

Eric, go ahead and deliver your presentation.

Bischoff stood up from his seat.

Eric: Thank you for inviting me to this meeting.

As you know, I've come up with an idea called the Team Challenge Series. I think after reading it and tweaking it here and there you all will, hopefully, find it interesting.

Here is the Team Challenge Series concept:

There will be three teams competing for a million dollar first prize; $100,000 second prize and $50,000 third prize.

There will be a draft, similar to the NFL draft, to stock the teams.

The teams will be comprised of both faces and heels to make things more interesting.

Some of the matches will be stan...

Verne: Hold on. Who told you what faces and heels mean?

Eric: Uhhhhhhhhhh...

Greg: I told him.

Verne: That's a violation of kayfabe, son. Some money will be coming out of your next check.

Greg: Got it.

Eric nodded in appreciation towards Greg and Greg nodded back.

Verne: Continue.

Eric: Where were we? Oh!

Teams a mixture of faces and heels.

There will be both stipulation matches and regular matches.

Teams will earn different levels of points. A win by pinfall or submission will garner the highest amount of points. A win by disqualification or countout will net fewer points.

Verne: What about for a double countout or double DQ?

Eric: Both teams will get a point apiece in that case.

Verne: You've really thought this out, Eric.

Eric: Thank you, sir.

Verne: Have you got an exit strategy for how to wrap this Team Challenge Series all up?

Eric: Well...not exactly.

Verne:
    Explain.

Eric:
    I thought about it and I think we just need to let things play out over a period of time and then we can look at how to end it and when to wrap it up. We would just need to book on the fly.

Verne:
    Book on the fly? Greg, another kayfabe violation. The fine just got a little bigger.

Greg shrugged.

Greg: Well.

Verne: Eric, the idea, I must admit, is interesting. But you need to come up with a definitive end to the program. This concept could only run for so long before the fans tired of it.

Eric: It would end in a reasonable amount of time.

Verne sat back and contemplated the matter for a moment.

Verne: OK. Work on your idea some more. And try to come up with a time frame for the whole thing from start to finish. Lay out a tentative match plan with the match-ups and possible finishes. Also, give me a rough idea of who you think should be on the respective teams.

Sound good?

Eric: It does. I will come back with a more detailed plan.

Verne: When?

Eric: Er... A few weeks.

Verne: Have a detailed plan on my desk two weeks from today.

Eric (smiling): Yes, sir.

Eric sat back down.

Verne: Eric.

Eric was all smiles as he turned and looked at Verne.

Verne: You can go now. Thank you for your presentation.

Eric:
    Oh! Thank you for your time.

Verne: You're welcome.

Go back to your sales job and get us some new advertisers.

Eric quickly picked up his papers, nodded at the group and left the room and closed the door behind him.

Verne: Now, onto the real business at hand.

WHAT WILL BE THE FATE OF THE AWA???!!!

FIND OUT IN THE FINAL PART OF
    THE MEETING!!!
    Last edited by vadermania; 09-25-2019 at 01:27 PM.

After all of this time, the big reveal is just some guy named Al, who said a grand total of one thing in this latest entry of the meeting?

I wish you luck with this BTB, but I think I'm going to bow out of following this project. I was curious about what an AWA BTB would look like, but so far it's been all filler for one full month.

Raiders go 8-8 in '19

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    After all of this time, the big reveal is just some guy named Al, who said a grand total of one thing in this latest entry of the meeting?

I wish you luck with this BTB, but I think I'm going to bow out of following this project. I was curious about what an AWA BTB would look like, but so far it's been all filler for one full month.
    Jim,

Just ask that you read the next post this Friday. It's the end of the meeting. Things are going to start changing. Just felt I needed a slow, meandering build-up for this BTB.

I’m Not Booked!

Status

Okay, I've given this project a chance up until now, but I probably won't follow it anymore. You've posted 19 times in this thread so far and haven't so much as mentioned a show. All we get is constant meetings, which you even said yourself are "meandering". You left a cliffhanger from the last one, heavily advertised said cliffhanger, then paid it off as an unknown TV exec turning up who didn't talk in the meeting. It honestly feels like you're trolling at this point.

So, in the hopes that you aren't just trolling us, let me give genuine feedback that I hope you take on board. Give up on the meetings. The feedback you've had for them so far hasn't been good, they're incredibly dry and nothing has come out of them that you couldn't have introduced in a couple of sentences in your opening post. As you can tell from your feedback, persisting with them at the expense of what people are saying is actually turning people off this project. If this final meeting has something that absolutely can't be missed because it's genuinely interesting (and I'm talking 5 times more interesting than every other meeting combined at this point), then get it out of the way, then book a show. If the final meeting is more of what we've already had, bin it and give us the gist of what we missed at the start of the next show. That's what people are here for. You got a lot of interesting glances when you started this project up because it seemed different and exciting, but that's because people wanted to see you actually booking AWA in 1989. So start booking.

I'd also leave the videos out. Maybe after you've booked a couple of shows and shown us what you have to offer, but at this point it feels like posting for the sake of posting, or possibly just to give you an artificial bump. If you're really a fan of the AWA and want people to see what it was like at it's peak, that's what the General Wrestling section can be used for.

I really do hope you can start posting shows and remind us all why we were so exciting about the idea of this thread when it started, but I'll probably wait a while before I check in again I'm afraid.

Raiders go 8-8 in '19

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    Okay, I've given this project a chance up until now, but I probably won't follow it anymore. You've posted 19 times in this thread so far and haven't so much as mentioned a show. All we get is constant meetings, which you even said yourself are "meandering". You left a cliffhanger from the last one, heavily advertised said cliffhanger, then paid it off as an unknown TV exec turning up who didn't talk in the meeting. It honestly feels like you're trolling at this point.

So, in the hopes that you aren't just trolling us, let me give genuine feedback that I hope you take on board. Give up on the meetings. The feedback you've had for them so far hasn't been good, they're incredibly dry and nothing has come out of them that you couldn't have introduced in a couple of sentences in your opening post. As you can tell from your feedback, persisting with them at the expense of what people are saying is actually turning people off this project. If this final meeting has something that absolutely can't be missed because it's genuinely interesting (and I'm talking 5 times more interesting than every other meeting combined at this point), then get it out of the way, then book a show. If the final meeting is more of what we've already had, bin it and give us the gist of what we missed at the start of the next show. That's what people are here for. You got a lot of interesting glances when you started this project up because it seemed different and exciting, but that's because people wanted to see you actually booking AWA in 1989. So start booking.

I'd also leave the videos out. Maybe after you've booked a couple of shows and shown us what you have to offer, but at this point it feels like posting for the sake of posting, or possibly just to give you an artificial bump. If you're really a fan of the AWA and want people to see what it was like at it's peak, that's what the General Wrestling section can be used for.

I really do hope you can start posting shows and remind us all why we were so exciting about the idea of this thread when it started, but I'll probably wait a while before I check in again I'm afraid.
    Keef,

I knew this could turn some people off because of how slow it is. A slow burn is what I call it. But I started it this way to lay the groundwork for what's coming. There will be payoffs in terms of shows, matches, angles, etc., but there will also be the business side of things presented here.

I divided the meeting into three parts because everything I write is on the fly.

Just wanted to create something different for a change because in the past I've only written BTB's with TVs, PPVs, etc.

Wish you the continued best with your project.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Keef,

I knew this could turn some people off because of how slow it is. A slow burn is what I call it. But I started it this way to lay the groundwork for what's coming. There will be payoffs in terms of shows, matches, angles, etc., but there will also be the business side of things presented here.

I divided the meeting into three parts because everything I write is on the fly.

Just wanted to create something different for a change because in the past I've only written BTB's with TVs, PPVs, etc.

Wish you the continued best with your project.
    I understand, and I hope your diary goes well and wonder HOW AWA survives. I figured it wasn't Bischoff, especially since, according to him, he was barely making enough to feed his family at this time, so how could he afford to be the secret investor?

Freshly Squeezed Royalty

Status

I’ve been keeping up to this point, but I’m sorry to say this is what’s gonna stop me reading. A thread with no points to not just any show, but literally anything that isn’t a meeting or an old actual AWA match being linked this far into a thread just isn’t something I’d continue reading.

I hope you continue this project if it’s how you truly want to do it, because more power to you. We always say write for yourself not for others, and I stand by that. However, in the interest of “fun creativity” I do feel that if you knew you were going to be writing on the fly, perhaps you should’ve waited before posting the thread. It would’ve been much easier, in theory, to plan it out and be able to condense, otherwise you risk running in circles with writing that people don’t read, apologies for perhaps brutal honesty. While the business side exclusively being focused on for such a long time may be interesting for some, as you can see a lot of people here come to see wrestling shows, not just people from wrestling in a script.

Cheers with whatever you choose to do with this, perhaps I’ll check in at some point later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raiders go 8-8 in '19

Status

THE MEETING (The Final Chapter)

Verne: Before we get into what to do with the AWA, I did want to bring up something else I was thinking about.

Al: What is it?

Verne: We still do TV tapings at the Showboat in Las Vegas. We've never had the World Title change hands there.

We still draw pretty well in Vegas for those tapings. It's one of our two or three best cities right now.

Wally: What did you have in mind?

Greg: Who are you looking to put the belt on?

Verne: I'm gonna keep who I'm putting the belt on a secret until we get to Vegas for the next tapings.

I have an angle worked out and this will take place over three shows.

Larry's already advertised to defend the title in Vegas against Ken Patera.

We'll announce that Patera was injured a few nights earlier in a match and can't compete.

Then we'll announce we're having a Battle Royal on that show and the winner faces Zbysko for the title in two weeks.

In the middle of the tapings, we'll have interviews with both champion and challenger to hype the match that will air the following week.

Wally: Of course it will all be taped that evening in Vegas.

Verne: That's right. We'll save the World Title match for the last match of the night to keep the fans around as many of them have a tendency to walk out during our lengthy TV's there.

Greg: Why not just have Patera beat Zbysko for the title that night. Why the angle?

Verne: Because I have something else in mind. Something that I hope will spark an uptick in attendance and interest in the AWA.

Al: It sounds like it's worth a shot.

Greg: I agree.

Wally: As long as you don't put the belt on Greg.

Greg glared over at Wally.

Greg: Don't you have a filling station to run in Mayberry, Wally?

Wally: Hahaha!

Verne: Alright. I think we're gonna run with it.

Wally: Have you told Larry and the next champ about it?

Verne: Nothing's revealed until Vegas.

Wally: OK.

Verne: Now, on with the meeting.

Let's go around the table and see what each of you thinks we should do. We'll start with Wally.

Wally: Said it before, Verne, the AWA was your creation from the ground up. I think you should close the doors and let it be your legacy good, bad or ugly.

Verne: Greg, I already know your take but say it anyway.

Greg: I think we should look to sell the promotion and let new blood run it and continue your legacy, dad. I believe the AWA can be salvaged but it needs changes starting at the top.

Verne: Al, you can finally tell us why you're here and what you think we should do.

Al: Verne, we've been friends for a long time now. You've been a fantastic boss. And I'm loyal and thankful to you for all you've done for me over the years.

But I think it's time to sell and move on and let someone else deal with it.

Verne: You agree with Greg then?

Al: Yes.

Greg: Dad, we've been having private meetings at Denny's the last few weeks.

Al: Over Grand Slams.

Wally: Oh! I love their pancakes. Light butter and heavy syrup. Yum! Yum!

Al: I really enjoy their...

Verne (exasperated): We're having a meeting to discuss our futures and all you can discuss is pancakes?! Jeez!

Why the need to meet in secret?

Greg: I contacted Al about this matter and we agreed that we wouldn't discuss things with you until we felt the time was right.

Verne: I'm a little shocked, Al. My door was always open to you.

Al: I'm sorry I had to go behind your back, Verne. But realistically, if the AWA is to survive, it needs new people running it with fresh ideas. We've had a really good run. But all good things come to an end. And it seems like the writing is on the wall for us. You, me, Wally, we've had our run and now it's time to step down with class and dignity.

Wally: Class? Now there's a word I've never heard associated with the wrestling business.

Verne just stared at Wally for a moment and then shook his head in disbelief.

Verne: Well, Al, I think I might have one more good run as promoter and booker. I would like to see us reach out to some of the money people we know and see if they'd be interested in financially backing us.

Greg: What would be in it for them?

Verne: Money.

Al: How could we pay them back plus profit if this thing keeps hemorrhaging money?

Verne: It would take time.

Greg: Dad, we need to be realistic. A turnaround is going to take time. And when I say time I'm talking about, at minimum, two to three years.

Al: You've worked hard, Verne. You've been in this business for over 40 years now. You're in your 60's. Step aside and smell the flowers and enjoy the golden years of your life.

Verne looked down at the table while twirling a pen around in his fingers.

Verne (sad): I love to work. I love what I do. This is not an easy decision.

Al: There's no guarantee of finding a money man willing to risk the investment needed to try and save the AWA. The financial risk factor is very high here.

Verne: The same goes for someone who would buy the company.

Greg: We know. But if someone's willing to shoulder the entire burden, then the entire responsibility falls on them.

Dad, you're battling to save your home on Lake Minnetonka. New talent takes lots of time to learn the ins and outs of this business. You can't train guys fast enough to replenish our diminishing ranks.

And there's one more thing.

Verne: What is it?

Greg looked over at Al Derusha.

Al: Verne, have you talked with anyone about investing in the AWA?

Verne: Not yet. Why?

Al: Greg and I have been putting out feelers to see if there might be anyone interested in buying the company.

Greg: And there might be a couple of interested parties out there nearly ready to strike a deal, dad.

Verne: You went behind my back and offered up the AWA for sale?! Nothing's been decided yet and you do this to me?!

Al! Of all people! Would you like to stick the knife in deeper?!

Al (calmly): We knew you'd be upset when we told you what we were up to. But it doesn't hurt to cover your bases in a case like this.

Verne placed his head in his hands and sat like that for a moment. The room was silent.

Finally, Verne looked back up.

Wally (softly): Shut it down, Verne. End the headache of dealing with it.

Verne (calmly): The Team Challenge Series idea from Bischoff. Do you think that could help?

Greg: Not unless we get more established talent. We use the roster we have now and it won't make a bit of difference.

Al: You're gonna have a to make a decision, Verne.

Verne (softly): I know. I know.

There are three ways we could go here.

Verne paused in deep thought.

Verne: I'm going to talk to some old friends and see about financing.

But, Greg and Al, as much as it pains me to do this, you keep looking for a potential buyer. Keep me updated on the process.

Wally.

Wally: Yes.

Verne: Sometimes you're a real idiot. But I love you like a brother.

Wally chuckled.

Wally: Feeling's mutual, ol' pal.

Verne: Alright. This meeting is over. Right now we'll concentrate on the Vegas tapings and the World Championship.

END OF THE MEETING!!!

Since you politely asked me to just tune in for the final episode of the meeting before deciding if I was going to stick with reading this project or not, I decided to do that for you. Truthfully, I feel like these meetings have been a gigantic waste of time with this final part making me frustrated that I even bothered giving it one last chance. On August 26th, you created this thread with the simple question of what will happen with the AWA:

A. Bring in a money man

B. Sell the promotion to keep it going with someone else in charge

C. Close down the AWA

After a month of "Updates", random match links, and three highly built up meetings, absolutely nothing has happened. Verne still hasn't decided what to do with the company, we don't know if he's going to do the team challenge series, and the whole mystery man angle ended up being one of the most disappointing reveals in wrestling. You have a new mystery man in terms of who Verne Gagne has in mind to bring in to win the AWA Title in Las Vegas, but after the reveal of the first mystery man, why would anyone trust that this won't be another disappointment?

As another has said, every update you've given so far could have just been summed up in the opening post. If I'm being honest, hearing you admit that you're writing on the fly isn't very encouraging either. It just means that you're not planning things out ahead of time, which makes me concerned that you'll decide to give up on this project on a whim because there's not any proper investment in this.

I know I'm coming down on you pretty hard, but here's some sincere advice. Don't quit this project if you're passionate about it, but I would suggest going on a hiatus for a bit. While you're on the hiatus, start planning and writing out portions of this BTB. This does not mean writing out a few editions of a new behind the scenes interaction, but write out some full shows, monthly recaps, or however you had planned on running this BTB (For example, Big Papa was known for his monthly updates as opposed to individual shows, like most posters here do). Obviously, personal enjoyment means more than having a lot of people actively involved in reading your BTB, but in the last few days you've had multiple posters inform you that they're giving up on this project already due to the lack of proper updates. Maybe I'm wrong, but if you keep up what you're doing, that isn't going to change and you're going to be hurting to have readers on this BTB. However, if you do put a hold on this BTB to sort things out so that when you re-activate this BTB in a month or so, you'll be able to start immediately posting shows, it could cause posters to regain trust in this BTB. Perhaps it will even bring back some readers that have given up on this project. Currently, you have a BTB that is different from the rest of the active BTBs in this section. That's going to catch the eyes of some posters. That's a good hook, but you need to give readers what they want (Proper updates and shows) or that advantage that you have by offering something different will not help out your BTB at all.

In theory, a behind the scenes BTB could work, but even then, that sort of BTB would need updates that sees changes. Despite offering multiple updates, your behind the scenes BTB hasn't offered any true progression. It's just a lot of talk without any progress.

Status

It's almost hard for me to wrap my head around this whole thing. What made you think the events that have transpired this far needed to be broken down into this many uneventful posts is beyond me. At best, I could see Greg's interactions with Verne prior to the meeting being one post, and the meeting itself being another. But even then, I would have felt it best to just include all this information in one "background" summary in the opening post. Because by the looks of it, it won't be until these Vegas tapings were something (hopefully) exciting or important happens. There's a place in BTBs for slow burn and nuance but generally speaking I think readers expect something they can seek their teeth in to with each update, which I feel we have gotten none of. I will stick around to see these shows though. I seem to remember you running a WCW project around a year or so ago that I kind of enjoyed. So there's still some hope on my part that things ramp up. But you'll definitely need to make those first shows worth it with how you've lurched to this point. Best of luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information