Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [TEW 2016/2020] A 2013 Mod in Progress - The YES! Mod

Status

Re: [TEW 2016/2020] A 2013 Mod in Progress - The YES! Mod

The total list of names is now at like 760 - that includes active male, active female, yet-to-debut male and yet-to-debut female. It doesn't include veterans / legends, some of whom still wrestler and some of some of whom don't, or the list of "dead legends" I've started keeping. So yeah, the list is getting BIG.

A couple more title belts created. One or two more broadcasters added. But its mostly been time spent in the spreadsheet.

Haven't done much beyond adding more names and adding more Cverse/Tverse workers as the bases for those names. Of the 760 names on the list, I would say about 70% of them are matched. Cverse gave me a TON and I managed to make it through the whole worker list. Working through the Tverse now, which is going to take some time. A LOAD of the matches are fairly random - I'm not going and digging to make sure that the real world work is a considered to be of a certain level and type before I match them. But that's kinda the idea of slotting - the matched worker is more about their position within the game world than their specific skillsets.

The one thing I'm finding weirdly frustrating is that most of the top level workers have been added or picked. So when I land on a really good (say top 250) worker in the Cvere or Tverse, I start looking through my list of who they could match up with and.... there's no one. They are too good. Its annoying lol.

I've almost certainly explained this before, but one of my pet peeves with a lot of real world mods - both current day and historical - is that they are often top heavy. Probably less so with historical mods. And this isn't throwing shade at a particular mod or mod-maker, but just a general observation. They tend to have top talent at big companies, but it thins out notably below that. Stars for smaller companies are often mediocre workers. Many mid-card workers at top companies are limited, in certain ways. They will either be mediocre workers (not terrible but nowhere near elite) or good workers with notable drawbacks (often shitty Star Quality, or good all around except lower-level Psychology). I've definitely said this before - I get it. If you are modding and you aren't that familiar with a region / company / worker, its a tough stretch to just be like "Okay, this guy / gal is elite" and skill them as such. Not as hard if they have a widely-held reputation of being elite. But if they don't work for a big company, that's less likely to be the case. And you are more likely to face user criticism for having Kento Miyahara be better than almost anyone in the WWE than if underrate Miyahara. All perfectly understandable, but it creates a certain balance to the game-world. Even just when looking at Star Quality - being a midcarder for the WWE or TNA or whatever is more likely to result in someone getting good or better (so C or above) SQ than being a regional-level star. Which isn't necessarily the case in reality.

I think this is part of why historical mods that use a team approach often feel more balanced. More hands in the cooking can have its drawbacks, but more than just having a diversity of opinions, this can provide a diversity of knowledge and expertise.

A huge part of me wanting to do this from scratch was to create a balance more similar to the Cverse and Tverse. Where you do have elite-level workers who work at and stay working for regional-level companies. Where a random midcarder for one of those companies can have amazing Star Quality. Where a possible superstar for a national-company might be working for a Pittsburgh micro-indy today. Where you see random attribute anomalies - like someone who is mediocre as a whole, but is amazingly Consistently or has top-level Selling. It makes the smaller companies more interesting to run. Its also realistic - a worker like Kento Miyahara or Daisuke Sekimoto could absolutely be very good workers for NJPW if they weren't loyal to their current companies. But if you make them mediocrer workers, or good workers with poor Charisma and Star Quality, that doesn't work as much. We have seen plenty of proof that someone who as a star for a company like ROH can absolutely do the same for the WWE in most cases. Again, not if the ROH worker gets E+ or D Star Quality, just because they are in ROH.

The flip side of that desire to see quality throughout the game-world is wanting to make sure I don't go overboard. I don't want every indy company to be so laden with talented workers that they cannot fail. That's no realistic or challenging.

One of the aspects I mean when I talk about the "balance of a game world" is the balance of challenges. Within the Cvere or Tverse, almost every company has positives and negatives. Things that make it both interesting to run and somewhat challenging. And they vary. Some have a strong veteran, or a great tag team, or an interesting prospect, or some combination thereof. Some have money problems, or a toxic backstage environment, or the owners kid being massively overpushed. It creates a situation where every company is interesting and each in their own way. I would love to emulate that. Its often lacking in real world mods, and not always through the fault of the modder. Realistically, some companies are just boring as fuck and don't offer a lot. But that aspect is something I absolutely didn't take the time to do with the 2K1 tweak mod and I do want to try here.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Unnecessary, unfocused babble time.

So one area where I haven't done much - intentionally - is yet-to-debut workers. For anyone looking at this who isn't all that familiar with TEW, you can have workers who are set to debut in the future. Which makes sense - if the mod is starting in May 2013 and there is a worker who debuted and started working in January 2015, you don't want them in the data and active before that or its unrealistic and immersion-killing. These workers are vital, because they have a heavy influence on the evolution of the game-world. The more historical the mod is, the more important they become.

I've mentioned before how a modder has to decide how they want the gameworld to unfold and evolve, and yet-to-debut workers play a big part of that. If you want to ensure workers who became great talents and stars develop that way, you may choose to have them debut as very good workers despite their age. Doing that can super-saturate the gameworld with talent if its done too widely. Or you can make the debuting workers less talented, relying on situation to develop them. It all depends on how you want to balance things.

Jon and I talked through this quite a bit on this topic when I was working on the 2K1 mod. In a way, the yet-to-debut workers are a bit less impactful on this mod, because its only a few years worth of workers that will be in the data to debut, and few workers who debuted din the past 2-3 years have established themselves as "certain stars" just yet. You have a couple of freaks - Ronda Rousey and Matt Riddle - and quite a few WWE debutants who were very raw but time in NXT polished them up.

I have added a few yet-to-debut workers already to the data - notably the already-mentioned Rousey and Riddle. But I've generally avoided it as it doesn't fill in the gameworld. It allows it to be stable long-term so it seems much more like a near-the-end project. There is also the small possibility that the 2020 version of the game changes worker development enough that scaling of the debuting workers needs to be altered.

My giant-ass spreadsheet does have sections for yet-to-debut workers and I've picked out a few. But one thing I haven't done is go into the Cverse and Tverse database and look at the yet-to-debut talent in those databases. Both have a few hundred workers set to debut, of varying quality. They are ideal to use for this, because a worker who has 4-5 years experience being used as the base for a yet-to-debut worker means the skills have to be scaled back.... but not universally, because some stuff develops a lot and some only a little.

I keep thing I should put some time into looking through those databases at the yet-to-debut talent, but really, its not necessary at this point in time. It really does make sense to leave that until later. Prioritization and all that, but sometimes that can be hard as fuck.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

I did add a couple workers over the long weekend, but most of my time was spent trolling through the ThunderVerse to pick out workers. I have been adding more to the lists as well. Somewhere between 750 and 800 now all together so its a long-ass list. I didn't add anyone too significant, but I kinda want to get back to seeing the workers in the data go up.

Its getting harder to pick out workers, simply because there are fewer good quality workers left to pick out someone to match up. I keep finding quality veteran workers in the Tverse but not having anyone who is of that level. Its kinda annoying lol.

I think one area where the RW historical mod may end up being notably different from the two fictional mods is in older veteran workers who are still semi active. Those mods have a few of those. Real world, there are actually tons. Quite a few workers from the 90s and even 80s who work with some regularity. They might not have regular contracts with bigger indy promotions, but they are still working dozens of dates a year. I don't want to include everyone who falls into that, but quite a few.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Back to adding workers.

Currently at 447. Almost at that most magic of numbers, 450.

Some of the recent additions include Psycho Clown, Genki Horiguchi, Hajmine Ohara, Viper, Alex Shane, Ayako Hamada, DJ Hyde and Trent Barreta.

I have watched a decent amount of AAA lately and I quite dig Psycho Clown. He's basically their ace at this point. He probably wasn't quite as good in 2013, but I did make him... probably too good. I'm okay with that.

In a weird way, I want some of the companies below the very top to be overpowered to a degree. The only two companies I'm really worried about being overwpowred are the WWE and NJPW. For the WWE, its basically wanting to ensure the individual talent aren't too popular, which creates unrealistically strong grades. I want to hit that dead on sweet spot where the AI can still book strong enough shows to maintain their level.... but only just. A human user will be able to do better and grow. But the AI should just maintain. As for NJPW, I want them to be able to have those incredible 5-star matches but not turn that into every show being an A or A* show. Again, looking for that sweet spot.

TNA is its own deal - I just want them to be unstable.

But companies like CMLL, AAA, Noah... I'm okay with them being able to pull pretty good grades. They won't turn into powerhouses overnight. As I've mentioned, I don't like looking at a regional puro company or one of the two big Mexican companies and seeing a midcard full of workers with Ds and Es for skills, with the occasional C thrown in there. Some of those workers should be relatively poor, but not most of them. And that's what some real world mods feel like. Not all and not an empirical, measured observation - just an eyeball one. I want companies like CMLL, AAA, Noah, AJPW, DG, Stardom, and similar companies to have plenty of workers who are mostly Cs with some Bs in there. I don't expect that the AI will turn CMLL or AAA or AJPW into a monster, but testing will tell me for sure.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

461. Some of the additions include Daga, Ryan Rollins (Australian Suicide), Mari Apache, Faby Apache, Sammy Guevera, Mayumi Ozaki, Zeus, Alex Koslov, and a few others.

So I finally posted on the private Mod Squad discord server that I was doing a mod that could potentially be publically released at some point. I just wanted to make sure that Genadi wasn't going to feel like it was stepping on toes. Knowing Genadi, I knew what his response would be, but its a respect thing. He actually offered to help, which is sweet of the man. I know some folks end up with a negative perception of him (or the entire group) because of some of the board drama, but the man is ridiculously giving. I also explained my methodology, which no one has responded to yet. I'm curious if anyone thinks its a fucked up way to do a mod or not lol

Still going back and forth on whether I should be doing targeted additions and if so, where to target. When I start up a save and scroll through the companies, its cool when a company has a fairly full roster. Not necessarily completely full, to the point where they won't have to try to add anyone when I run a test, but full enough that it looks like an actual roster. but then the next company has only 10 workers. Or 3. I look at companies like CMLL, AAA, or AJPW and I want their rosters to be filled out and complete. But that's going to take a long while. I've just been rotating through adding a worker from the US, then Japan, then Mexico, then a woman, then someone from Australia or UK or Europe, and then repeat. Maybe I'll get caught up with trying to fill out one of the companies and just focus on them for a bit, but I honestly like continuing to drop in workers everywhere so its all areas of the game world that are expanding, not just one.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

465. Just added Ryo Saito, Shane Haste, Mikey Nicholls, and Mecha Wolf 450.

Mecha Wolf was something of a fuck up. He's in the data under his real name, since he has about 400 names he's worked under. When I looked in Cagematch, he worked for a number of companies in 2013 that are in the data. But I didn't dig deeper. So as I'm adding his Employment History, I realize he's not active with any active company as of the date of the data. So he will be a free agent. Not a completely fuck up, because he had to get added at some point. But I just prefer to focus on contracted talent right now as that fills out the game world more directly.

I'm mulling whether to add a thread on the GDS board. I wouldn't be updating it constantly like this one, but just to put it out there. Problem is that once I do that, I'm kinda committing to releasing the mod and I still don't know if I want to do that. I'm also not sure how the wider TEW community will react to the approach I'm taking with this one. The import-and-edit approach.

I also updated the first post. The top 25 workers were updated as well, and I expanded it to 30 workers
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Added Jake Lee, Dash Chisako, Don Fujii, and Yoshikazu Yokoyama. Plus an announcer who worked for DTU at the time and now works for AAA. He was imported but adjusted. I kinda had to guess at his birthdate - LinkedIn gave me his university so I went backward from that.

Jake Lee was a fuck-up, in a similar way to what Mecha Wolf was. I caught it before I imported him or started doing much. Basically, he debuted in 2011, worked for 2 months, and then left wrestling for MMA until 2015. So he's not really helpful to the data since he'll start on hiatus. Could also have him on an absence too but that seems.... too restrictive? But I decided to add him anyway since he is basically a rookie worker and therefore pretty easy to skill. So I rolled with it.

Yoshikazu Yokoyama was almost a fuck up. He's a technical MW from Zero1. Decent puro midcarder but not a standout. In my quest to find good wrestlers I don't know about, I asked in another thread for some quality junior wrestler suggestions. I marked them off on my spreadsheet so when finding matches for them, I targeted good to really good junior wrestlers. I did that for Yokoyama even though he's not actually a standout. I almost skilled him that way, but realized and nerfed him. He's still pretty decent but not a standout talent anymore.

Inching towards 500 workers. That's kinda cool. I'm not running a lot of tests but when I do, I generally like what I see. Given that the bigger companies are relatively complete in roster terms, I don't imagine that will change massively.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Yesterday I managed to add Cherry, Cherry Bomb, and Chessman. The fact that they are three in a row alphabetically is a total coincidence :-|

I added Silver King and a couple of others the day before.

So Adam has been announcing some of the Attribute features. For anyone not reading the TEW 2020 Developer's Journal, the Attributes feature is essentially a labels systems. It will work for personality, but also a whole series of other factors. The TEW 2016 personality system is a series of sliders. The conversion process will interpret that into the correlating personality attributes. But other ones - things that will impact physique changes, willingness to move regions, what type of incidents they are likely to get involved in, and future roles. I have to say that I LOVE this addition and there are a ton of great attributes, with Adam having solicited ideas from the TEW community.

The downside is that they will have to be added manually once I can convert the data. Which will be a pretty significant amount of work, and some will be highly subjective. But it will be part of the porting over process. Its why I'm not worrying much about company products - that will all have to be redone with the new way that TEW 2020 deals with products. And show schedules.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

486. Still closing in on 500. Some of them added include Harry Smith, Laredo Kid, Aiden English, Simon Gotch, Dragon Kid, Billy Boy, Raul Mendoza / Jinzo Grado, and Dean Allmark.

Got less done on a quiet weekend than I would have expected, to be honest. But there are going to be times of just "picking away at it" rather than dumping serious hours into it, which I think is important for balance - I don't wanna burn out and not wanna do any more work on this thing. Spending time with Lady Papa or playing console... that means I don't just get tired of working on this and want to be done with it.

I've switched from watching the spreadsheet list go down as I add people to watching the worker count go up. Its a relatively small difference, but I'm still adding more names to the spreadsheet as I realize workers who are missing. Not finding matches for them at the moment. But I might add 10 to the data but finding 4 or 6 more who need to go in later, so the spreadsheet list only goes down by a handful.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    486. Still closing in on 500. Some of them added include Harry Smith, Laredo Kid, Aiden English, Simon Gotch, Dragon Kid, Billy Boy, Raul Mendoza / Jinzo Grado, and Dean Allmark.

Got less done on a quiet weekend than I would have expected, to be honest. But there are going to be times of just "picking away at it" rather than dumping serious hours into it, which I think is important for balance - I don't wanna burn out and not wanna do any more work on this thing. Spending time with Lady Papa or playing console... that means I don't just get tired of working on this and want to be done with it.

I've switched from watching the spreadsheet list go down as I add people to watching the worker count go up. Its a relatively small difference, but I'm still adding more names to the spreadsheet as I realize workers who are missing. Not finding matches for them at the moment. But I might add 10 to the data but finding 4 or 6 more who need to go in later, so the spreadsheet list only goes down by a handful.
    Harry Smith turns into one of the best wrestlers in the world on the WCW Lives mod. Not sure if that's your doing or one of the original maker of the mod's. But either way, better keep an eye on him. I think he became WCW Champion at the age of 22 or something in one of the runs I did.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Harry Smith turns into one of the best wrestlers in the world on the WCW Lives mod. Not sure if that's your doing or one of the original maker of the mod's. But either way, better keep an eye on him. I think he became WCW Champion at the age of 22 or something in one of the runs I did.
    That was my doing, although the original mod probably had him similar. Honestly, its tough with a worker that young with high Star Quality. Even if you leave the Potential to random, there is a good chance they turn into a top level wrestler. But if memory serves, Harry had Excellent potential set as well. Back in the day, he was seen as a future superstar because he seemed like such a carbon copy of his dad.

He is a dozen years older here, so less of a concern. But he is a solid wrestler in the Yes Mod, not an amazing one. Star Quality, age and working for NJPW could still see him develop notably, but I will watch for it in testing. I'm not above giving someone Low Potential if it keeps them from unrealistically turning into a world class wrestler.

Fun story - I had to do that a TON on the WCW Lives to keep workers from developing into monster in-ring talents. Being on a roster with the WWE or NJPW was like a license to turn into a beast. One of my favorite test runs was before I gave Big Show really low potential, and he would continue to get better and better. In some saves, he ended up with skills like a VERY LARGE Shawn Michaels. One worker who still turned out quite good, even with shitty potential set, was a Mongolian wrestler named Dolgorsürengiin Serjbüdee, aka Blue Wolf. He was a Mongolian sumo wrestler who joined NJPW in 2001, and retired from pro wrestling in 2006. Never did much in those 5 years. But he was a big prospect in 2001 because he had a good look and the sumo background. So Star Quality + Athleticism + being on a touring roster meant.... monstrous developmental as a wrestler.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

496. Well, 495 1/2, but close enough. Added Maximo, Santana and Ortiz, Daisuke Harada, Cuervo (the half) and Masa Kitamiya. Plus a couple of puro referees.

Harada is a top super junior and will probably be a top 100 worker, or close to it. While I was adding him, I couldn't help but think that Noah will be fun to play in this mod. Not a huge roster, but plenty of talent and some good young workers. There is a sense of rebuilding the company after Burning left at the start of 2013 over the company not renewing Kenta Kobashi's contract.

Noah should be far from the only company outside the WWE bubble that will be fun / interesting to run. Both CMLL and AAA will have loads of talent, and some great young luchadors to build up. Any of the US indy companies have a lot of indy talent to work with, at least until the WWE and TNA start to vacuum them up. Either of the two Aussie companies will have a lot of possible options - imagine a roster of Toni Storm, Jay White, The Mighty Don't Kneel, Travis Banks, Evie (Dakota Kai), KC Cassidy (Peyton Royce), Jessie McKay (Billie Kay)... that's could be pretty kickass a few years in. The UK scene is loaded. And in Japan.... NJPW will be fun. AJPW will be fun to rebuild. Joshi companies will have tons of talent. And DDT will be a gas.

I've mentioned it before, but that wide level of playable / interesting companies is definitely a goal. When I messed around with the 2K1 mod, that wasn't. I focused on WCW first and foremost. WWF was an easy-mode powerhouse. The US indy scene benefitted from the ROH generation getting a lot of love. But I definitely didn't do the same for areas like Japan and Mexico, which is unfortunate. That's not to say they completely lacked talent or were unplayable.... but I didn't put extra effort into ensuring they were good and fun. I did look at Noah after I decided I want to play as them. Which I did, but I never got too far. But I spent some hours cleaning up and adjusting things, making sure there was some interesting young talents, etc.

Masa Kitamiya brought up another small thing. So he's a junior at the time, but already adding muscle mass, and in 2014 he moved to heavyweight. He was trained by Masa Saito and has that similar barrel-chested build. There are now Attributes in TEW 2020 you can add to make it more likely that wrestlers move up in size and maintain muscle mass. That's pretty awesome, because you can't really ensure that on TEW 2016. The porting over process is going to be quite a process, but a lot of things will need to be added. Like Attributes. But I think it will make for a much better experience / mod.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

498. I finished Cuervo and added Golden Magic (Octagan Jr now in AAA) and Jonah Rock (aka Bronson Reed in NXT). I worked late, so not much. Which means this really isn't worth posting. Except....

I meant to add this to my verbal vomit yesterday but hit Submit before I went through it fully. So part of my focus in the previous mod was down to how I play TEW. I generally run companies that are National. Sometimes Cult. But rarely below that. I like the stability that a bigger company offers. Being able to have a roster that is fairly set. Regularly shows. Running a regional company often means you have to deal with a minimal schedule - the old one show per month. You have a roster that is based on what bigger companies will allow you to have or keep. There is nothing wrong with those dynamics at all - I just don't tend to enjoy them as much. But on TEW 2016, I started bashing around with Black Canvas Grappling. And I kinda fell in love.

So bit of Cverse canon. Ignore if you know the history. In Cverse lore, the two biggest companies through the history of Japanese wrestling are Burning Hammer of the Wrestling Gods and Golden Canvas Grappling. GCG is a bit older, but BHOTWG opened in 1966 and rose on the back of the biggest star (Master Kitozon) and then by developing a super junior division and a star (Elemental) in that regard as well. By the 1980s, BHOTWG had clearly moved ahead, where it would stay. In the late 1990s, Pride Glory Honor wrestling opened up and has challenged BHOTWG for top spot, based on sheer in-ring quality. Its really easy to connect BHOTWG to NJPW, especially with the prominent junior division and even an ill-fated foray into MMA influence. PGHW is like AJPW in the 90s - it even uses the King's Road name - but without any junior division at all. Golden Canvas doesn't really have a direct correlation in the real world, as its maintained a stodgy, traditional approach, which has held it back but its what the fans demand. So its not just fallen to the #3 spot but is competing with other companies for that spot. But GCG finally decided to go more modern, which angered some fans and company loyalists. Which led to the creation of Black Canvas Grappling, a young company the harkens back to the lost traditionals of GCG.

BCG is a fun company to run, but HARD. Its has a touring schedule, which is fun. The roster has some solid talent and good prospects, particularly Funakoshi, who is a puro monster like Daisuke Sekimoto or Tomohiro Ishii. The challenge is making money and keeping talent. BHTOWG is aggressive, and they tend to steal talent from GCG, who then steals yours. Some talent is loyal so they won't go, but most are not and are lost. So you end up having almost complete roster turnover in a year. The Cverse also has a tsunami ruin the economy in Japan so that's a factor too.

I had a couple of saves on TEW 2016 with BCG and I really enjoy them. That was actually what led to me wanting to run Noah in the 2K1 mod. And those things are why I want to ensure that some of the regional companies in this mod are.... worthwhile. Are fun to run. Have talent that makes them fun to run. I hope to avoid the talent poach sequence but again, TEW 2020 is going to be different in that regard so I can't worry about it too much yet. I'll look to tweak it down the road but I will also try to ensure that the big companies have big enough rosters that they don't immediate engage in a vast hiring spree in the first two weeks of EVERY save.

I didn't really connect it before that my focus in that 2K1 mod really reflected how I tend to play TEW, but it definitely did. Mexico and parts of Japan didn't get as much attention because, well, I don't bother with them in terms of running a save. But recognizing that, I want to ensure the opposite on this mod.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Had a pretty quiet long weekend and I avoided playing console games. Even didn't play FM2020 much, but I've had the beta for a few weeks or that would have been different.

Won't try to remember everyone I've added, so here are a few names: Emi Sakura, Star Jr, Shocker, Susumu Mochizuki, Soul Rocker / Tito Santana, Rockstar Spud, Riho, Maybach Taniguchi, Shelton Benjamin, Tyson Dux, Niebla Roja, Jetta... I went thru and made sure all of the super junior and luchador recommendations from Zero and Steve and everyone else were all in there. That meant a few future worker went in, as well some young prospects not yet working for anyone. Particularly in Mexico. Which is all good - those workers need to go in at some point too. Did have trouble finding finishers for a couple of them so left them blank for the moment.

I did add a couple of non-wrestlers, but not the typical announcers or refs. More legend types. Ric Flair, William Regal, Arn Anderson and Scott Steiner. Double A was the only import - the other were conversions. Still a little faster when you don't have to worry on the skills as much.

The future workers are definitely faster to add. No work history or contracts to worry on. Just have to worry on shaping them so they develop moderately close to reality.

The European scene is getting a bit ignored in this batch of additions. Not totally, but Mexico and Japan are getting the most attention, and still dropping in some US workers. The Aussie scene is, well... the Aussie scene. its two companies and most of the "big" names are already in. So its not going to get a ton of attention lol

I wasted a painful amount of time trying to find a cut image for Lady Maravilla. Probably going to have to cut my own. Not a big deal, but the consistency of look is a bit of a challenge. I'm hoping that Joe Murphy comes out with the latest update of his Super Awesome pic pack soon, as those have provided a ton of cuts I'm using.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

547. Some of the additions include Murder Clown, Monster Clown, Pagano, and Tyler Breeze.

So I said that when the worker count hit 500, I would post a thread on the GDS forum. Basically, as a form of motivation and maybe get a few people helping out in small ways. But apparently I'm a liar. I haven't and while I probably will at some point, it won't be just yet. It just feels like that hyping this thing in that way kinda locks me in to releasing it.

I'm tempted at the moment to finish out the talent rosters for the WWE, NJPW, and TNA. That will reduce the talent raids on test sims, which kinda.... throw things off a bit. I don't know if it will prevent them completely. I may need to toy with the preferred roster size of the owners of the companies, but I'm honestly I can't bloat the rosters up beyond what they actually had for talent. Its kinda funny that in the past, mod-makers had do the opposite - trim rosters back a bit, to prevent the AI from dropping a bunch of contracted talent on day one of a new save with that mod. So fringe workers who appeared on TV only occasionally would be left uncontracted for that reason.

Part of the problem is that I don't think there are more than a handful of WWE talent not on the main roster. Most workers left to add are developmental system workers. And having a load of ready talent that can be called up doesn't seem to prevent the WWE from reaching out and signing workers.

I've been enjoying filling in more of Mexico, as that helps me get to know Mexico better. And I definitely will want to run AAA at some point on the mod. Which I'm pretty sure would be the first time I'm booked in Mexico.

I still feel bad that the women's side is getting less attention, but can't add everything at once.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

551. Added Frankie Kazarian, Kellie Skater, Tomoka Nakagawa, and Naruki Doi.

Also messed around and sorted some stuff with the roster sizes, so that's working better. The bigger companies may still add talent but they won't add massive numbers of new signings all at once. That was stressing me a bit, to the point where I was wondering if I should bloat up the rosters of those companies with extra workers to avoid it. But this weeks to work pretty well.

With that resolved, I don't have to worry on filling out the rosters of those companies any more rapidly than anything else. I can keep dropping in talent wherever. Like I've said before, the hard aspect to that is that I want to fill in so many areas. I want to get more talent onto both the CMLL and AAA rosters, particularly the luchadoras. I want to round out the rosters of some of the main Japanese companies below NJPW - Noah, AJPW, Dragon Gate, and DDT. I want to add more joshi. I want to fill in the UK and European scene. I want to bulk up the US indy scene. And I want more free agents in the game. So yeah.... there is a lot of areas to work on. The random selection of adding talent that I've been doing slowly fleshes out all the areas, but it just feels like really slow progress. Where I can, I pick workers who fill in multiple areas. Like Kellie Skater - she was working for Shimmer, Stardom, and the two Aussie companies. So she adds in several areas. Nakagawa was added almost purely because she tagged with Slater, but she worked for a couple joshi companies plus Shimmer. Again, multiple areas are helped. Perhaps I should focus on a single area, at least for 10-15 workers. Not necessarily a single company like I was considering to flesh out specific rosters, but just regions. I sorta did that on the weekend when I added in all the super juniors that were recommended. Just worked my way through a handful of workers and really helped a specific area of the mod. I have a 3 day weekend coming up without much planned. Doing some work on the house so that will eat up some time, but should make some more progress.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

577. Some of the additions that I can actually recall include Matt Sydal, Rob Eckos, Rob Terry, Teryn Terrell, Riho, TJ Perkins, PJ Black, Matt Cross, Lady Maravilla, Akebono, Akira Ranjin, Perro Aguayo Jr, Black Mamba, Jack Evans, Angelico, Dinastia, Taya Valkyrie, Joe Lider, Jeesie Godderz, Kenny King, Rhett Titus, and Sonjay Dutt.

I actually did a bit of "focused additions" over the weekend. Basically looking at the Cagematch roster for a given company for that year and adding in more workers who worked there at that point. That helped fill in the roster of AAA and TNA quite a bit. I started to do that with AJPW but ran into the problem that quite a few weren't workers I had matched up yet. And I didn't want to spend a bunch of time finding matches, so I guess that one waits. The AJPW roster is a weird mess around this time anyway - they lose a bunch of workers who are loyal to Keiji Mutoh right around this point, and have to compensate with some new additions. the mod starts before that small exodus but I will be trying to set up AJPW to emulate that.

I keep meaning to add some more non-wrestlers. Not just the unexciting process of adding refs and broadcasters, but also some former wrestlers. Retired legends. The likes of Austin, Foley, DDP.... I've held off because most of them don't work for anyone so they aren't really directly adding anything. But they need to go in at some point, so....
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

591. Should hit 600 this weekend. I did a few non-wrestlers who don't necessarily have immediate roles. Kenta Kobashi, Lance Storm, and Mick Foley, specifically. I also added Triton, El Sagrado, Mephisto, Sushi, Atsushi Maruyama, Stuka Jr, Brazo de Plata, Delta, Euforia, and Diamante Azul.

Might be able to guess from the names that I was focused mostly on CMLL. The roster is almost the same size as AAA now, and will end up being notably bigger. At some point, I'm going to need to do some research on the two companies and confirm which was "bigger" back in 2013. My perception is that CMLL is the bigger company, but that's not based on anything concrete. I've already done a bit of digging for attendances and such, but that won't necessarily be definitive and I wasn't coming up with much information anyway.

Adding those legends are quick in the sense that I don't have to edit too much. But they can take long because of their lengthier employment histories (well, not for Kobashi) and wanting to have a bio worthy of their status.

So I did run a quick test. So Kento Miyahara wasn't actually contracted to anyone at the point the mod starts. He had left Noah and was still under contract to Diamond Ring / Kensuke Office. That's more of a booking office than a promotion (much like Perros del Mal in Mexico) and that can't be replicated in the game, so it won't be. I had Miyahara already on the books for AJPW even though he didn't join quite this early. I realized it was later than I thought - he signed with AJPW in August and started wrestling there in September. So that contract would be several months too early, not just one or two. Part of my thought process was that if he's a free agent, he will just be snapped up by NJPW. But I took out the contract and simmed a month. He ended up signed by AJPW and loyal to them. I'm not convinced that will happened every time - right now, AJPW have an incomplete roster and need to add workers, so once there are more under-contract talent, they might not make this move. But.... its cool to see regardless.

Not sure if I'm gonna keep going with the "company focus" approach I've used for the last bit. It does help fill in rosters nicely, and ensures I'm adding workers who are contracted to someone. I may do NJPW next, which would mostly finish out the NJPW roster except for the last few non-wresters. Adding more non-wrestlers is another thing I need to do at some point.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information