Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [TEW 2016/2020] A 2013 Mod in Progress - The YES! Mod

Status

Re: [TEW 2016/2020] A 2013 Mod in Progress - The YES! Mod

The total list of names is now at like 760 - that includes active male, active female, yet-to-debut male and yet-to-debut female. It doesn't include veterans / legends, some of whom still wrestler and some of some of whom don't, or the list of "dead legends" I've started keeping. So yeah, the list is getting BIG.

A couple more title belts created. One or two more broadcasters added. But its mostly been time spent in the spreadsheet.

Haven't done much beyond adding more names and adding more Cverse/Tverse workers as the bases for those names. Of the 760 names on the list, I would say about 70% of them are matched. Cverse gave me a TON and I managed to make it through the whole worker list. Working through the Tverse now, which is going to take some time. A LOAD of the matches are fairly random - I'm not going and digging to make sure that the real world work is a considered to be of a certain level and type before I match them. But that's kinda the idea of slotting - the matched worker is more about their position within the game world than their specific skillsets.

The one thing I'm finding weirdly frustrating is that most of the top level workers have been added or picked. So when I land on a really good (say top 250) worker in the Cvere or Tverse, I start looking through my list of who they could match up with and.... there's no one. They are too good. Its annoying lol.

I've almost certainly explained this before, but one of my pet peeves with a lot of real world mods - both current day and historical - is that they are often top heavy. Probably less so with historical mods. And this isn't throwing shade at a particular mod or mod-maker, but just a general observation. They tend to have top talent at big companies, but it thins out notably below that. Stars for smaller companies are often mediocre workers. Many mid-card workers at top companies are limited, in certain ways. They will either be mediocre workers (not terrible but nowhere near elite) or good workers with notable drawbacks (often shitty Star Quality, or good all around except lower-level Psychology). I've definitely said this before - I get it. If you are modding and you aren't that familiar with a region / company / worker, its a tough stretch to just be like "Okay, this guy / gal is elite" and skill them as such. Not as hard if they have a widely-held reputation of being elite. But if they don't work for a big company, that's less likely to be the case. And you are more likely to face user criticism for having Kento Miyahara be better than almost anyone in the WWE than if underrate Miyahara. All perfectly understandable, but it creates a certain balance to the game-world. Even just when looking at Star Quality - being a midcarder for the WWE or TNA or whatever is more likely to result in someone getting good or better (so C or above) SQ than being a regional-level star. Which isn't necessarily the case in reality.

I think this is part of why historical mods that use a team approach often feel more balanced. More hands in the cooking can have its drawbacks, but more than just having a diversity of opinions, this can provide a diversity of knowledge and expertise.

A huge part of me wanting to do this from scratch was to create a balance more similar to the Cverse and Tverse. Where you do have elite-level workers who work at and stay working for regional-level companies. Where a random midcarder for one of those companies can have amazing Star Quality. Where a possible superstar for a national-company might be working for a Pittsburgh micro-indy today. Where you see random attribute anomalies - like someone who is mediocre as a whole, but is amazingly Consistently or has top-level Selling. It makes the smaller companies more interesting to run. Its also realistic - a worker like Kento Miyahara or Daisuke Sekimoto could absolutely be very good workers for NJPW if they weren't loyal to their current companies. But if you make them mediocrer workers, or good workers with poor Charisma and Star Quality, that doesn't work as much. We have seen plenty of proof that someone who as a star for a company like ROH can absolutely do the same for the WWE in most cases. Again, not if the ROH worker gets E+ or D Star Quality, just because they are in ROH.

The flip side of that desire to see quality throughout the game-world is wanting to make sure I don't go overboard. I don't want every indy company to be so laden with talented workers that they cannot fail. That's no realistic or challenging.

One of the aspects I mean when I talk about the "balance of a game world" is the balance of challenges. Within the Cvere or Tverse, almost every company has positives and negatives. Things that make it both interesting to run and somewhat challenging. And they vary. Some have a strong veteran, or a great tag team, or an interesting prospect, or some combination thereof. Some have money problems, or a toxic backstage environment, or the owners kid being massively overpushed. It creates a situation where every company is interesting and each in their own way. I would love to emulate that. Its often lacking in real world mods, and not always through the fault of the modder. Realistically, some companies are just boring as fuck and don't offer a lot. But that aspect is something I absolutely didn't take the time to do with the 2K1 tweak mod and I do want to try here.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Unnecessary, unfocused babble time.

So one area where I haven't done much - intentionally - is yet-to-debut workers. For anyone looking at this who isn't all that familiar with TEW, you can have workers who are set to debut in the future. Which makes sense - if the mod is starting in May 2013 and there is a worker who debuted and started working in January 2015, you don't want them in the data and active before that or its unrealistic and immersion-killing. These workers are vital, because they have a heavy influence on the evolution of the game-world. The more historical the mod is, the more important they become.

I've mentioned before how a modder has to decide how they want the gameworld to unfold and evolve, and yet-to-debut workers play a big part of that. If you want to ensure workers who became great talents and stars develop that way, you may choose to have them debut as very good workers despite their age. Doing that can super-saturate the gameworld with talent if its done too widely. Or you can make the debuting workers less talented, relying on situation to develop them. It all depends on how you want to balance things.

Jon and I talked through this quite a bit on this topic when I was working on the 2K1 mod. In a way, the yet-to-debut workers are a bit less impactful on this mod, because its only a few years worth of workers that will be in the data to debut, and few workers who debuted din the past 2-3 years have established themselves as "certain stars" just yet. You have a couple of freaks - Ronda Rousey and Matt Riddle - and quite a few WWE debutants who were very raw but time in NXT polished them up.

I have added a few yet-to-debut workers already to the data - notably the already-mentioned Rousey and Riddle. But I've generally avoided it as it doesn't fill in the gameworld. It allows it to be stable long-term so it seems much more like a near-the-end project. There is also the small possibility that the 2020 version of the game changes worker development enough that scaling of the debuting workers needs to be altered.

My giant-ass spreadsheet does have sections for yet-to-debut workers and I've picked out a few. But one thing I haven't done is go into the Cverse and Tverse database and look at the yet-to-debut talent in those databases. Both have a few hundred workers set to debut, of varying quality. They are ideal to use for this, because a worker who has 4-5 years experience being used as the base for a yet-to-debut worker means the skills have to be scaled back.... but not universally, because some stuff develops a lot and some only a little.

I keep thing I should put some time into looking through those databases at the yet-to-debut talent, but really, its not necessary at this point in time. It really does make sense to leave that until later. Prioritization and all that, but sometimes that can be hard as fuck.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

I did add a couple workers over the long weekend, but most of my time was spent trolling through the ThunderVerse to pick out workers. I have been adding more to the lists as well. Somewhere between 750 and 800 now all together so its a long-ass list. I didn't add anyone too significant, but I kinda want to get back to seeing the workers in the data go up.

Its getting harder to pick out workers, simply because there are fewer good quality workers left to pick out someone to match up. I keep finding quality veteran workers in the Tverse but not having anyone who is of that level. Its kinda annoying lol.

I think one area where the RW historical mod may end up being notably different from the two fictional mods is in older veteran workers who are still semi active. Those mods have a few of those. Real world, there are actually tons. Quite a few workers from the 90s and even 80s who work with some regularity. They might not have regular contracts with bigger indy promotions, but they are still working dozens of dates a year. I don't want to include everyone who falls into that, but quite a few.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information