Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [TEW 2016/2020] A 2013 Mod in Progress - The YES! Mod

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: [TEW 2016/2020] A 2013 Mod in Progress - The YES! Mod

Papa I am curious how does the game take in affect of real life death from a mod point say if you are working on something in 2001 if you keep playing up until 2005 do you put in some sort of info to say Eddie Guerrero died in this year or does it just go on and not take in affect?

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Papa I am curious how does the game take in affect of real life death from a mod point say if you are working on something in 2001 if you keep playing up until 2005 do you put in some sort of info to say Eddie Guerrero died in this year or does it just go on and not take in affect?
    There is nothing direct for that.

The game does have deaths, but they are random incidents. There is even an option "Kenny Death" dynamic that makes the cause of death humorous things like "an incident with a squirrel".

The game does have a mechanism called Narratives that can be set up in the mod by the mod-maker. And there are a lot of them. They can range from news stories that are for immersion only and have no game-world impact to financially crashing a company to changing the personality of a worker to changing the logo and even name of a company. There is no narrative for someone to die. Its been requested - a lot. But the developer has refused to allow you to kill off a worker that way, even if its for historical recreation. There are more narrative options being added for the new game, but I do not expect that one to be added.

That said, while you can't "preset" the event to happen, you can remove someone from an active game-world using in the in-game editor. Not directly, and in certain circumstances it won't work (like if they own a company), but generally you can edit their contract and then their status.

The hard part is that even if there was a mechanism to do it directly, it would still be debatable about whether it should be pre-set. Some would want it, because it emulates what actually happened. Others want the game world to unfold uniquely and therefore don't want it. You see this on a lot of mods with specific narratives. Some later 90s mods will have financial impact narratives that hit WCW and ECW, so they can die around when they really did. But you may not want that to happen and if you are playing as one of those companies, you definitely don't because it would make survival impossible. So you end up marking them so that anyone who plays the mod and checks can spot them and delete them if they want.

One of a thousand small reasons that mod-making is a chore lol
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Up to 234. Additions include Satoshi Kojima, Stephanie McMahon, Jim Smallman, Jim Ross, Renee Pacquette, Dean Malenko, and a handful of referees.

So I kept think about adding all the non-wrestlers as being one big lump of data to add and then sort through. But.... it obviously doesn't have to be done that way. So I grabbed a few WWE folks and added them in. Stephanie (who is also the booker), Jim Ross, JBL, Renee Pacquette (or Renee Young, if you only know her from the WWE), a road agent (Dean Malenko) and 4 referees. I don't know WHY 4 of them, but 4 of them. So if I decided to test, that would be enough for the WWE to function. If they don't have any refs or road agents, they can't run shows. So this takes care of that without relying on the game to generate the workers.

Its definitely faster for these workers. I still have to make there is a pic, check the worker details (faster than re-editing them all), check popularity, personality, and skills. But I don't have to worry much about gimmicks, there are no movesets to deal with, popularity matters significantly less, and there are generally only a few skills to look at. I am adding in employment history as much as possible.

I figure I will drop a few in here and there, which will slowly add up over time and fill in those areas of need. Dropping one ref into an area with smaller companies, like adding Chris Roberts to the UK scene, will work for multiple companies as they will all hire him.

Long-term, in terms of finishing out the mod, certain roles become... problematic. Road agents and refs mostly, but sometimes even announcers and commentators. It can be tough finding info for smaller companies regarding who they use in the announcers booth. Buts its awfully hard finding ref and agent info. As awesome as sites like Cagematch and Wrestlingdata are for tracking workers, they don't necessarily give us tons of info for the non-wrestlers. Which is fair enough - does anyone really care which ref was involved in the semi main event of Progress Chapter 3? Fuck no. But for the purpose of a mod like.... you need to know. And even when you know refs worked for a given company, it can be a pain to find out when. Like, I know Chris Roberts worked for Progress, Rev Pro, IWP-UK, and other companies.... but starting when? This is where I start to worry a bit less about being 100% accurate. If I know that Roberts worked for Attack, I'll contract him there rather than wasting a ton of time trying to dig up whether he was working there already in mid-2013.

Road agents are even worse in terms of trying to find out who did what for what company. Cagematch can help a teeny bit in this regard. For some companies, they have a Current Roster page (rather than All-Time Roster page, which lets you search for who worked how many matches for that company in what year, which is massively helpful in figuring out the roster, but it only looks at wrestlers). That will sometimes list the non-wrestlers and roles they have. So... you can sometimes figure out using that info that a particular veteran wrestler is with the company but not doing commentary or managing or being a personality.... so they are a road agent. The other option is having veteran wrestlers with road agent as a possible role, so they can function with that. In certain regions, notably the UK, Australia, and Europe, I will probably try to have some veteran semi-active or even fully retired wrestlers who can do the role. Even if they actually haven't, its conceivable that they could so.... it works.

Its not something I will worry about in the short term, but there is awareness there than in the long-term, to fill out the game world, those roles are necessary everywhere.

Also, dealing with it makes me respect historical modders all the fucking more, because that shit is ridiculous to try to find for companies 30 years ago.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

242. Additions include the Dudley Boys, Dixie Carter, Tenille Dashwood, and a few referees in TNA and NJPW.

Dixie Carter is a bit of an interesting one. I gave her a toxic personality. Which is a bit weird because I don't necessarily think she has a toxic personality. but it might be the best way to emulate her decisions in the game. I've asked Adam, the developer, about the best way to set up company to fail. Or at least moderate success. And there aren't a lot of ways. For rather obvious reasons - its counter-initiative. But to reasonably emulate TNA, you want them doing dumb things that hurt themselves. The self-harm wrestling company. If you set them up as a normal company, they will thrive because they have the talent to do so. So giving Dixie a very low Business skill was one thing. But giving her a toxic personality will help. I emulated the personality of Mark Carnie, a toxic owner in the Cverse who was the character used to introduce the feature. So that should lead to her doing some shady stuff (which TNA actually did and does), falling out with talent, having them ask for release, etc. If it turns out to be too much, I can scale it back. But it seems like a good starting point.

Refs are definitely a pain. Its HARD to find when people joined companies. If I can even find a Wikipedia profile for them, it MIGHT have the year they joined. Its hardly a big deal that you can include their proper employment history, but if you start leaving it empty or partially done for some... it gets easier to get lazier on others. That's the piece I'm trying to avoid.

I'm having a bit of fun with the bios. Not making them too goofy but a few digs here and there. I imagine one of them will offend someone, but its easy to edit, so.... Just stuff like Chris Roberts having a glass jaw, Dixie Carter being a money mark, and Zack Ryder proving that getting yourself over with the fans means nothing to the WWE.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So put in a way too much time this weekend. Made it to... I don't fucking know... 280? I have added workers in clumps a couple of times. Like 15 or 20 at a time from one of the two mods. Then just slowly edit through them. There are 293 workers in there, but 13 left to edit so, yeah, 280 sounds right.

Having added 40 over the weekend, I'm not going to try to recall everyone who has been added in. A few are owners or refs, but not that many. Primo and Epico Colon, BxB Hulk, Bestia 666, Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, Alex Shelley, David Otunga, ACH, Akitoshi Saito, AR Fox, Atsushi Kotage, Nikki Storm, Great Sasuke, Layla El, Angelo Dawkins, Madison Eagles, Madison Rayne, Ben-K (future worker snuck in there), Soberano Jr, Masato Yoshino, Eric Young, Abdullah Kobayashi, Joe Doering.... After randomly grabbing workers from without any intentional focus, I started at the top of the list and worked my way down. Just trying to skip future workers. One the 13 that were imported but not edited yet are done, the list will be well under 250 names for males, and again, about 100 of those are yet to be picked.

The women are still not getting equal attention. I try to make sure to drop in one or two every so often.

When I added Primo and Epico, I decided to add World Wrestling Council. For some reason, I actually thought both WWC and IWA-PR had folded but both are still in operation. I can't find shows for IWA-PR for the past few years so no use adding them. I thought adding WWC might be interesting because the new sizing system on TEW 2020 should make Puerto Rico more accurate. And it gives Carly Colon somewhere to work. Both Primo and Epico have worked down there regularly while working for the WWE, which will be interesting to use the new contract types in TEW 2020.

Its rather satisfying to feel like I'm starting to make a bit of a dent in that big list. Like I keep mentioning, I like that all the different areas of the game world are slowly filling in. Mexico still needs more attention but there should be a few more luchadors soon. The WWE and TNA undercards are filling in, and the women's divisions are both about half-way done in those companies. Definitely need to drop more women in, though.

I might actually start to separate my tracking document into active workers and yet-to-debut workers, just so I don't keep accidentally grabbing yet-to-debut workers. they do need to go in at some point, but... not much point yet.

Wasted a bunch of time on Friday trying to dig up info on whether the female DDT ref is still reffing or not.

Am starting to feel like a few too many workers follow a similar model. Like there are ton of these indy guys who are starting to feel... samey. Its not the full-blown indy darlings I've added. The guys I'm more familiar with and therefore feel more confident on where they were at the time. Its the secondary indy darlings - talent that was just breaking out around this time and would become more renowned in the year or two after, and have mostly been signed by the bigger companies now. I just haven't seen as much of them, which makes me feel less confident in what they were at that time. These are:

ACH
    AR Fox
    Andrew Everett
    Tony Nese
    Shane Strickland
    Rich Swann
    Trevor Lee

A few of them are in the data already and the rest are waiting. But they all kind fall into the "Cruiserweight Special" build. Basically, they are fairly (to highly) athletic cruiserweights with decent brawling and technical skills, they call all talk reasonably well, pretty good performance skills aside from Psychology, and pretty good Star Quality. The problem with that basic build is that they all end up feeling cookie cutter. They are not - they are individual skilled. And honestly, a worker with Star Quality two grades higher is a different worker than a similar worker who has better Brawling. So they are not cookie cutter workers... it just feels that way a bit. With good SQ and Athleticism, their respective age (most are mid-20s), and regular work, they should all develop. Most will develop their brawling and technical skills to become good all-rounders. Some will develop their flying skills further and become truly world class high flying wrestlers. A few will become great talkers. And one or two will develop their Psychology to be really good in that regard. So they will differentiate as they develop, and from save to save. But I don't want to overskill them and have them all turn into god-level wrestlers either.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So not much of an update. I would call it "unnecessary".... but pretty much all of these are.

Just continuing to bang thru the big clump of workers imported. Down to like 4 left edited. Was working on Johnny Curtis (Fandango) but he's not quite finished. Eita Kobayashi, Enzo Amore, Elias Sampson, Hunico (Sin Cara II), and Jeff Cobb were among those edited in yesterday.

Hunico / Sin Cara II / Incognito / Jorge Arias raised a small issue that I run into frequently, which is what name should the work go in under. Preferences on this vary - some people want workers going in under their most commonly used name, which would be the WWE name if they have worked there for any length of time. I haven't used the same approach for everyone, because situations differ. The Undertaker or Triple is not the same situation as Johnny Curtis / Fandango. Using their real name or indy name and having the WWE name as an alter ego generally works best, especially for workers who are going to be unable to use the WWE name after they leave the company. Jorge Arias might be unique in that I used his real name but I don't think he's ever actually wrestled under it. He worked as Mistico originally, which got changed when CMLL won the right to the name, then it changed to some variations of Mistico, then Incognito, then Hunico, then Sin Cara Negra, then Hunico again, then Sin Cara (which was actually Sin Cara II). There wasn't one single gimmick / name he used for any length so I figured this allows me to have most of them as alter egos (except the Mistico alts because that was for such a short time).

Eita was just finishing up an excursion in Mexico. literally the month the game starts, so I could have gone with either direction. I still have him on excursion and he should return to Dragon Gate.

Realized while working with Johnny Curtis that Michael Hutter / EC3 was going be another "on the line" decision. He was released by the WWE on May 17. Will probably have him under contract still.

Once I finish off these last few, I'll probably go back to dropping in workers for awhile. Maybe a couple more owners / refs / broadcasters. But definitely some women and some more luchadors. I kinda like this approach of dumping in a clump of workers and then editing thru them, but will probably keep using it sporadically. I could also switch to finishing out specific companies at some point. I would probably guess that WWE and NJPW are both about 20 workers each away from completion. Which is some lower card workers, some vets, some non-wrestlers....
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Just under 300 now. Some of the additions include Low Ki, Kagetsu, Arisa Nakajima, Angelina Love, and Gabe Sapolsky.

The two joshi additions just reinforce how much I have to do yet in that area. There are quite a few joshi companies in the data - Sendai Girls, Ice Ribbon, Stardom, Oz Academy, Wave - that will all need full rosters. There is a pretty strong amount of crossover, but that's still a pretty significant amount of workers. And its not an area of the wrestling world I know all that well. So that's going to be fun

And I keep seeing workers who worked for companies that aren't include and that makes me want to add them. Like JWP Joshi, where Nakajima was based for a number of years. Or Gatoh Move, which is based out of Thailand so I didn't really give much thought to including it, but they run most of their shows in Japan, so... its workable.

Adding Sapolsky got me mulling Dragon Gate USA again. Like I mentioned before, the main issues I have is that the company was already winding down by mid-2013. They ran into 2014, but I think they ran 6 or 7 shows from the start of this mod to where they closed. Having Sapolsky owning both DGUSA and Evolve doesn't work, so that would require a workaround. And the way that Dragon Gate talent came in for random shows isn't really emulatable. Unless maybe the changes to alliances would allow for it better.

I'm also starting to think of how the WWN should be included. its not a stand alone promotions. Its sorta of an alliance, but also with a broadcaster. So.... gonna probably take some experimenting when I can port this over to TEW 2020.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Thread Information