Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: [TEW 2016/2020] A 2013 Mod in Progress - The YES! Mod

Status

Re: [TEW 2016/2020] A 2013 Mod in Progress - The YES! Mod

Hit 1600 workers finally. Feel like the adding of workers has slowed down, but that's mostly because the focus has been on other areas that also need to get addressed. A few active wrestlers have gone in recently, but also non-wrestlers and some legends. Had a few semi-active puro legends that were missing that got added.

I did a bunch of research last week on schedules and spent a bunch of time this weekend getting that information into the data. Most companies now have a couple of events in there. Stardom has a complete schedule, as does Oz Academy. I added missing events for TNA. CMLL has a fairly accurate schedule with their weekly shows now location-locked, which also led to me adjusting some venues in Mexico (more work on which needs to be done at some point). A lot of companies that run monthly events have somewhere between 2 and 6 events in the data now. I will probably flesh those out at some point. Still need to do decide what to do with certain smaller companies like M-Pro, K-Dojo, Osaka Pro, and Ice Ribbon. IR is a tough one as they run two weekly shows that are all sequentially numbers and I can't quite emulate that in TEW. Will probably just create weekly tour shows.

I also tackled the lineage for the IWGP Heavyweight title. That was what led to me getting a few of the legends into the data - Riki Choshu and Genichiro Tenryu notably. Only IWGP Heavyweight title holders that are not in the data are Salman Hashimikov and Scott Norton. Could maybe possibly add Norton, even if just for the fact that he's arguably part of the NJ Hall of Fame.

A few companies got their pop nerfed a bit. Just some indy companies that were a bit high for what they are at that period. Companies with a small footprint that had area-wide popularity instead of mostly in their home region. Companies like MCW or ICW have popularity in their home area, not right across the whole of Australia / the UK.

One of the more exciting (ha) adjustments I made this weekend was stabilizing the bookers. Basically, a lot of smaller companies are set to have the owner as both owner and booker. But those owners will often be looking to hire a booker. I read on GDS what caused that, so I've tweaked it. Basically, the owner needs to have reasonable booking skill (above 65) and can't have certain personalities. So I went through and adjusted all of those owners, meaning they will remain as booker. There are about 3 left, and I think 2 of those are ones where I haven't decided on the booker yet.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Have hit 1660 workers. Been dropping in more currently active workers, plus a lot of veterans and legends, some broadcasters, and other non-wrestlers. I've been getting a glut of Japanese broadcasters to add, which is nice. The list of active wrestlers to add is around 350 right now. But in poking around Cagematch, I'm seeing that there is going to need to be more than that going in. Looked at one title in one company and found a few workers who held the title in the 2014-2017 period who were active in 2013 already but aren't in the data and aren't on my to-add list.

Added title lineages for the TNA World title, AJPW Triple Crown, IWGP World title, IWGP Junior Heavyweight, and IWGP Intercontinental title. Helped me find a few workers that needed to go into the data - the likes of Kendo Kashin and Tatsuito Takaiwa.

In addition to adding workers and title lineages and finishing off schedules, two big things I need to do are doing a check of each company and check/add Attributes for workers that were already in the data before the conversion process.

The company by company process will wait a bit. But it basically means starting up a save with each company and looking for what's incomplete. Schedule, titles (lineages won't all be filled in), announcers, products, etc.

The other piece is going through all of the workers who were in the data before the conversion to 2020 and looking at their Attributes. I've started by just going to the bottom of the worker list and looking at each of them. I've made it to the mid-Ts, so a bit of progress. Just picking away at it here and there. I'm going to try to look at everything when I go into each of them - default Gimmicks, Skills, Contracts, and Popularity.

I've mentioned the "2 Good 2 Soon" Club before and in the process of going through for Attributes, I've been tweaking for that too. Nerfing the overall skillset of those young future stars a bit and giving them Potential to compensate. So far, some of them I've tweaked as such are Will Ospreay, Travis Banks, Toni Storm and Hiromu. I think its going to be a lot of talent in the UK, Europe, and Australia that will into this. A bit less in the US and Japan and Mexico. Some, but not as many. The US and Japanese based workers that fall into this, many are already working for good sized indy companies and quite a few aren't that young (Gargano, Cole, etc) so they are less of a concern.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

1680. Still dropping in workers. Making progress toward that list being exhausted, which is quite encouraging.

Have also been going thru the list of workers to check Attributes - and other aspects. I started at the bottom and have got to the end of T, alphabetically. So that's not too bad. Its slow but its getting done. A lot of attributes are guess work, so its more about cleaning them up since the conversion doesn't necessarily leave them in an ideal state. I'm also looking at other elements, and using the opportunity to find and nerf some of the "2 Good 2 Soon" workers.

So in adding the Japanese announcers, I have learned (been taught, really) a reality about Japanese broadcasters that I found quite interesting. Most announcers (play-by-play) talent are professional broadcasters. They generally attended a university for it, and they are actually employed by the TV networks. Where as color commentators are more the ex-wrestlers or wrestling journalists. Its not a dynamic that can be completely recreated in TEW since the announcers cannot be contracted to a network instead of the company.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

At something like 1730 workers now. Just still smashing away at it. Dropped in a bunch more Japanese play-by-play announcers so there is a nice variety of them. I tackled the list of female wrestlers and finished it out, so I'm down to the male side of that list, which is something like 260 names long, and a few female wrestlers who I don't have matches picked out for yet. Its not that I've had massive amounts of time over the past few days - these workers are just quicker to add. I'm not sure many are names that will excite anyone - Masa Saito as a legend might, but unless you are a major fan of Courtney Rush (aka Rosemary), Chelsea Diamond, or Heather Patera.... they probably aren't vital additions for most people.

I've also been poking around the 1996 mod that gazwefc83 released. Similar to his current day RW mod, its very streamlined. Not that many companies and not that many workers. That's an idea I kinda like, until I really start poking around and start picking out missing workers that I would like to have in there and then I realize I wouldn't really like that in my own mod.

I added one more worker to the 1984 mod.... Masa Saito. Lol. Also tentatively settled on a name for it - "Brave New World".
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So I think the latest patch released yesterday for TEW 2020 will address one of the issues I've seen. I created YouTube as a free-to-air internet broadcasters broken down by region with Tiny coverage. Basically, companies can show their product on their but get no money. But they could still end up growing quite rapidly because of that. It looks like the new patch limits the growth companies can see based on broadcaster size, which is great. It also limits how popular workers can get based on those broadcasters. I was going to have to find ways to keep everyone from grabbing deals with YT but this makes it seem like I won't have to bother.

This is part of why I'm not testing too much yet. The game is still being polished and that polish can impact some of the problems I find.

Now that we have a ton of Japanese play-by-play announcers in the data, I got a list of Japanese color commentators to add as well. not as many, but that's fine - its not a specialized role in quite the same way that announcers are. You can fill in CCs by having retired or semi-retired workers who can do it, which is often how people become CCs anyway.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Not quite 1750 workers yet. But close. Have mostly added more Japanese broadcasters - announcers and color commentators. Looking to add some Mexican ones now.

Having free agent broadcasters isn't really necessary. Heck, given the size of the companies that run in a lot of areas, having any broadcasters isn't that necessary. But its something that adds some depth. I was talking about this with someone yesterday and its always bit sad when you dive into a real world mod that is well constructed and balanced, and the "big" areas of the mod are obviously well done, but you find a dark corner of the game world that is just... generic. The workers and the companies. I completely get how and why this happens, and I've done it myself. No single modder can know every corner of the world and its massive work to research to know just how good certain workers in Australia, New Zealand, or France are. There is only so much time you can pour into modding any mod, and since 99% of the people who play it will focus on the common areas of the game world, it absolutely makes sense to focus more on that. And unless you go digging in those dark corners, you probably don't even realize they are pretty generic.

That's actually part of what set this whole process off. In about 2016-2017, I got into Progress and watched through the all the Chapters. Which made me want to play TEW as them. But the UK scene wasn't getting the attention it now demand in RW mods. So the couple I looked at either had fairly empty UK scenes or they were generic. Don't get me wrong - young Will Ospreay and Jimmy Havoc aren't world class at this point. But they also weren't Ds and Es across the board. I didn't want to play that. So I thought about taking care of it myself. But thought it would be more fun to play from an earlier period. I got my hands on an early version of the RWC, which I toyed around in a bunch, and that led me to this.

I absolutely do not know a lot areas of the wrestling world well enough to make them accurately. But I want them to at least have talented workers and free agent options. That's part of what makes 2013 a great period. Some areas that are pretty barren in other eras have plenty of talent - the UK, Europe (Germany, specifically) and Australia are all fairly loaded with talented workers. India will fairly barren, but that's true of current day mods so hard to avoid.

Making a game area fell "alive" isn't just about making sure the active companies have some reasonably talented wrestlers and non-wrestlers, but also available free agents. Making sure companies have a bit of polish. So they have a product, a bio, some events.... Most every company should have all of that. Hopeful that a beta release will get some feedback from those more familiar who can provide more details that will add to the polish.

That's the hope.

Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Awesome dude! Keep up the good work, Papa. Excited for the full release.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Deco90 View Post
    Awesome dude! Keep up the good work, Papa. Excited for the full release.
    Thank you kind sir.

Posted these on GDS so might as well post em here too.

https://imgur.com/a/j0U1AJF
    https://imgur.com/a/jfG0ss4
    https://imgur.com/a/kzqBQIJ

Noticed something in some smaller tests the other day. There are now new stories when a company has to cancel a scheduled show due to lack of wrestlers. Saw that with a handful of the smaller companies, at least until they could hire enough talent to fill out their rosters. Not really concerning because the to-add wrestlers list is a lot of workers from those smaller companies, which will help. But its something I will have to watch for and will end up having to do more digging for most active workers to add.

I've actually held off on adding a handful of wrestlers on my list, simply because they would be free agents and low level ones. they will probably go in at a later point, but just not what I want to focus on at the moment.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Should hit 1800 workers today. The list of to-add workers is dwindling, but a lot of the additions of late have bene legend and veterans. People like Val Venis and Roddy Piper. Still dropping in a few that are workers of current note, like El Zorro. But I've also been tackling a host of other elements, which is why the worker additions is a bit slower.

I got feedback on the NXT roster that I added yesterday. Was nice to see that I wasn't way off base with most of those. Some tough workers to skill because NXT had some real quality talent in house at that point - PAC, El Generico, Charlotte, Bayley, Sasha Banks, Bray Wyatt, Becky Lynch, and others - but they are a mix of where they are in their careers. So some are in that "2 Good 2 Soon" club and I have to be careful that they aren't massively overpowered to where they were at the time, yet have the potential to grow into the workers they became.

Two of the remaining big tasks are company checks and title lineages. Both SHOULD wait until I'm done adding workers, but of coure, I've started on both of them.

I had already been picking away at title lineages. Quite a few companies have several done - WWE, TNA, NJPW, etc. Its basically just data transcription, but it can take time if there are a lot of reigns. I'm still adding defenses for every title, but I just take the number from Cagematch and no longer bother to check which were successful defenses and which are title matches but not defenses, because fuck it. The main reason I should be waiting to do this is that when you create a lineage entry, you can link it to the worker in question. If the worker isn't in the data, you just fill in the blank. But if you do that and then add the worker later, you have to manually go into that lineage and create that link. Not exactly hard but a pain in the ass to remember to do. Other elements that can be a pain is when titles are vacated a lot or when there is limited data (Mexican titles). I made the choice to create the lineages from scratch so I can't complain too much lol

As for the company checks, its pretty much what it sounds like. Starting up a save with each company and looking for anything missing. That could be weird things with titles, missing events, product tweaks, etc. Its just adding a layer of polish that I want the mod to have.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Going to be epic bro, so much work gone into this. Excited

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Deco90 View Post
    Going to be epic bro, so much work gone into this. Excited
    Thank you good sir. Hoping it delivers.

The most recent tests have been pretty encouraging. The grades for NJPW and WWE are still a bit high but not constant 99+ match grades. Still getting a lot of companies getting broadcast deals on YouTube, but I don't know that I want to nerf that or not. The biggest thing that I see that I don't love is a lot of companies signing a lot of workers. But its almost all companies that start out with incomplete rosters so they don't really have a choice. The to-add workers will fill in those rosters pretty well.

Only added a few workers yesterday and most were veterans who are mostly just going to be road agents. Most of the time went into going through the worker list for Attributes. I finished off the letter R, which was kinda huge since every referee has "Ref" at the start of their name, and there is about 200 refs in the data. Most of them got the same three Attributes - "Better as a Babyface", "Can Play Legitimate", and some personality attribue. They are kinda generic, but... they are refs.

The other thing I did was a couple more title lineages. Some smaller AAA titles, the AJPW World tag belts, and the Champions Carnival. One of the upsides to doing these belts is that it has got me to add some workers that weren't in the data yet. People like Steve Williams and Yoji Ano. Dr. Death is dead and Ano is basically retired, but the former is in the AJPW HoF a copule of times and the latter can be a road agent.

I mentioned yesterday that some of the long lineages are a bit painful to tackle. The AJPW world tag belts go back to the late 80s and were traded very regularly in the early years. But a LOT of belts don't have that kind of history. Like I could probably do all the belts in ROH in the same amount of time that the one set of tag belts in AJPW took.

One small thing I've started to do when doing the Attributes check is adjust a few gimmicks. Not everyone but just having a bit of fun with a few of them.

Also really thinking about turfing All Pro Wrestling from the data. The US indy scene is pretty well represented and APW are one of the weaker ones. They are small, don't run a real consistent schedule even back in 2013, their owner died in late 2013, and they have a lot of workers who don't work elsewhere.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Passed 1800 now. Not by a huge margin, but still.... And for Attributers, I have completed from the bottom of the alphabet up to N, and starting in on the M names.

Found out through a Luchablog post that AAA had a short-lived brand split in early 2013. It didn't last that long, but the one brand had its own show and own own title. So I will be adding in that.

Still missing some broadcast deals. I have to figure something out with Sinclair and ROH as I wasn't quite sure how best represent the Sinclair affiliated networks in the game using the new broadcaster models. But I need to have something in there or ROH won't be on the air.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Still at 1810, which is only a couple past where I was with the last post. But I've tweaked the ROH roster based on feedback, made it almost the way thru the letter M in doing Attributes, and finished several Title Lineages. AAA and AJPW now have completed title lineages for all belts and tournaments. At least all active ones - AAA might have some dead belts but not too worried about those.

Another company I'm toying with deleting is All Star Wrestling. its a British company that's been around for years. Much like APW was one of the few indy companies running in a dark period on the US scene (late 90s, early 00s), All Star ran through a pretty barren period on the UK scene. But both of those two scenes are now loaded with companies and these two stand out a bit, and not in a good way. There is no overt reason to get rid of them - its not like the data runs slow or anything. But these two companies don't really fill a need, they have slightly odd schedules, and both have rosters with some low level talent that doesn't work elsewhere. All Pro's owner died in late 2013, and he was a sleezy promoter type, and some of the stories coming out about the owner of All Star makes him seem worse. But that's not the primary reason. its really just not wanting to fill in the details and rosters of these companies that seem (in my eyes) to add relatively little value.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Still at 1810, which is only a couple past where I was with the last post. But I've tweaked the ROH roster based on feedback, made it almost the way thru the letter M in doing Attributes, and finished several Title Lineages. AAA and AJPW now have completed title lineages for all belts and tournaments. At least all active ones - AAA might have some dead belts but not too worried about those.

Another company I'm toying with deleting is All Star Wrestling. its a British company that's been around for years. Much like APW was one of the few indy companies running in a dark period on the US scene (late 90s, early 00s), All Star ran through a pretty barren period on the UK scene. But both of those two scenes are now loaded with companies and these two stand out a bit, and not in a good way. There is no overt reason to get rid of them - its not like the data runs slow or anything. But these two companies don't really fill a need, they have slightly odd schedules, and both have rosters with some low level talent that doesn't work elsewhere. All Pro's owner died in late 2013, and he was a sleezy promoter type, and some of the stories coming out about the owner of All Star makes him seem worse. But that's not the primary reason. its really just not wanting to fill in the details and rosters of these companies that seem (in my eyes) to add relatively little value.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Added a total of 3 workers yesterday, but I did get all the Ring of Honor title lineages done, tweaked some of the ROH roster, and finished off the M workers in terms of Attributes. So its all progress.

With the lineages done for AJPW, AAA and ROH, I can do the "company checks" for both all of them soon and have three more big companies off the list. That will be a nice positive. Unless the check brings up something notable in any of them that needs to be addressed but its generally small stuff - missing events, announcers not set, storylines that need to be created, etc. What I just keep calling polish.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Decided to jump back into adding workers full force. I added a handful of worker to convert over, so the total number is something like 1835, but at least 20 of those will have to be completed yet.

Converted over a few. Its workers like Super Shisa, Super Parka, and UK worker Stixx, so no one particularly major. As you can probably tell, I was in the S section of the master list lol. Once these are all added, I will have about 200 male workers left to add. Think I mentioned it, but workers who are on the list because they would later work for a company of "note" (as in, in the data) but was not at the time are mostly not being added and instead flipped into a separate section that I will look at later. I am preferring to add talent that fill out rosters and / or have some name value.

I might keep slugging away at adding workers until the list is pretty much done. Then I can focus on just getting through the remaining workers to check Attributes, and then I can tackle title lineages. Actually being systematic with the approach. I doubt that I stick it very long, but its a nice thought lol
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Managing to get through the chunk of workers I added fairly quickly. Only a few left now, which is nice.

I am also starting to reconsider a few of the companies I have in the data. As I posted on GDS:

All Star Wrestling - as already mentioned, loads of companies in the UK. ASW are a pretty old school company that is a bit tough to get the AI to emulate.

All Pro Wrestling - as already mentioned, a Cali indy company

Women Superstars Uncensored - one of three US-based all-women companies along with Shimmer and Shine. Ran a smaller schedule in 2013. I initially added them because I felt bad that Japan had so many joshi companies but unlike Japan, a lot of US indies have women on the roster.

Full Impact Pro - might just be my perception, but they seem like they were a fairly important indy promotion in the 00s but much less so by 2013. Besides being part of WWN, I don't know they add a lot

Scottish Wrestling Alliance - Scotland has ICW. The UK as a whole has Attack, Progress, Fight Club Pro, IPW-UK, Preston City, ASW, Eve, and OTT will open in Ireland. I like the idea of the UK+Ireland scene have lots of active companies to help develop the talent that is there, but there is a tipping point where there are more companies than are really necessary.

International Pro Wresting - United Kingdom - United Kingdom - see above, really. Closed in early 2020 but from what I understand, wasn't particularly well regarded due to booking.

Preston City Wrestling - leaning moreso to keeping PCW ahead of ASW and IPW-UK, but its another that feels like overkill on the scene.

Independent Wrestling Association - Mid South - deathmatch / hardcore wrestling in the US has CZW, and GCW will open. IWA-MS had some real talent in the early 00s but a decade later? Less so.

Squared Circle Wrestling - another New York indy. Its in Syracuse but that won't matter in TEW terms. Closed in 2015. Not sure how it separates from companies like AAW, AIW, OVW, etc.

Dragon Gate USA - I originally didn't have DGUSA in the data because in TEW2016, the DG-DGUSA relationship couldn't be emulated very well. The company would end up being like Dragon Pro Wrestling in the ThunderVerse, in that really talented Japanese junior wrestlers on the roster would result in fantastic grades and the company would invariably grow rapidly. I added them in largely due to new company relationships. DGUSA actually closed in early 2014, so they only had 8 more shows after the mod starts. They also have a heavy overlap with Evolve (which is on the mod) in regard to both talent and the product.
    There isn't any single VERY GOOD REASON to turf any of these companies, or it probably would have already happened. Rather, they feel a bit unnecessary based on other companies in the data. More than anything else, getting rid of them means its one company that I don't have to fill in the roster of with low-level workers that only work for them, add events, add titles and lineages, and generally try to polish up. Had a few responses on GDS. Curious if anyone on here has some thoughts on any of these.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread Information