Thread: BigMC123's Network Review

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    United States

BigMC123's Network Review

I want to do something kind of cool witht the WWE Network. I would love for you guys to suggest different shows for me to watch and review. I am a retired Independent Wrestler, so it could be a good perspective on things.

This is where I need you to help me. I need suggestions on shows to watch.. it could be a specific RAW or SD! Or PPV or weekly show. I just ask it to not be an original show like Ride Along or Table for 3.

I am going to do the review with hindsight being 20/20 so it will be a different type of review.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Re: BigMC123's Network Review

A good starting point - if it's on the network - is trying to find the first PPV or show you watched, to find what hooked you and how it holds up after so many years. If you're not sure where to start, that'd be a good place.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

Indy Talent

Status

Ahhh that is a tricky one honestly... my grandparents always used to tape the old PPVs so growing up i would be able to watch the events from even before i was born... so ill have events that i watched on tape that i dont remember live... i think im going to do WCW World War 3 1996 as my first review

Indy Talent

Status

Thank you for taking the time to read this review of WCW World War 3 1996. This is one of my favorite PPVs and actually has my favorite wrestling match ever. I am not sure how I am going to review this show… I am going to utilize the Star system for match ratings, but I don’t think im really going to review the show move by move. I am going to try to do a stream of conscious type of review as I watch along.

The show has started and we get a run down of what matches to expect tonight with some full screen graphics. There is some video interspaced in between the graphics, but this isn’t anything like the opening packages that get produced in the next few years. I really love how WCW started their PPVs with the announce team stand up talking about the show. The main event tonight is the World War 3 match as well as the big contract signing.

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Ultimo Dragon

We head right into the first match of the evening and my favorite match ever. Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Ultimo Dragon for the J-Crown titles. This match was something that just resonated so much with me as a kid and is what made me want to be a pro wrestler. As im watching this match, I really am thinking that they are setting up Rey to win this match. He is just taking such a beating that it lends one to think that the babyface is going to over come. God, this match is so good… it has so many moments where you thought it was over, but somehow Rey just keeps kicking out… I love the fans in the front row, they are so into this match as they think that every pin is going to be the end. Now, we are really kicking it into high gear as Rey starts to get some reversals and pinning combinations. The commentary on this match as been really well as Dusty, Brain, and Tony are really putting over how hard Rey is fighting to stay in the match. Running Liger Bomb only gets a two count… at this point, someone is going to have to get shot to stay down… well it wasn’t a bullet, but a slingshot sit-out powerbomb that gives the win to Ultimo Dragon.

Final Rating – 4.75 stars

Next is a DDP interview… this was around the time that the Diamond Cutter was starting to catch fire and right before DDP has his big breakout moment when he hit Diamond Cutters onto Hall and Nash in, I wanna say the Super Dome, in the beginning of January 1997. Page is still getting his character together as a babyface. I loved that he brought up Battle Bowl and him winning it… Side note, I don’t understand why people shit on Battle Bowl so much… I loved the concept… Anyways, the interview is over and we are on to our next match.

Chris Jericho vs. Nick Patrick

Chris Jericho is going to be such a huge star… WCW really messed up by letting so many future Hall of Famers leave them… just imagine if they kept all the people that came through there… somehow, they would have messed it up, but maybe WCW would still be around today. Nick Patrick was a fun little heel character with being an evil referee… it was necessary for him to be there b/c it just allowed for the NWO to have another way to get cheap victories. It is sad that WCW thought Jericho needed a mouthpiece, but atleast there is something for Teddy Long to be doing. I love the psychology of Jericho having his arm tied behind his back and then he hurts the other arm on the ring post. It really helps to make it more believable that a referee can actually cause damage to a wrestler. Another thing that I didn’t pick up on until Tony mentioned it was that there were no pins until the finish… I LOVED that this happened because it would make Chris look like shit if a referee kicks out of one of his moves. Jericho gets the win, if there were any doubts on that and this wasn’t a bad match for what it was.

Match Rating – 1.5 stars

Hell of a visual seeing those three rings set up. I love how the announcers build to the contract signing. God, the WCW website was so shitty looking… but it was 1996, so I guess they get a pass. WOOOO it’s the NATURE BOOOOY, albeit only for an interview with Mean Gene. I am from the area of Norfolk, VA and Ric cracks me up with how he says Norfolk… its pronounce Nor-Fawk… anyways, rant over… Ric is so good at fired up promos…

Jeff Jarrett vs. The Giant

Jeff Jarrett vs. Giant is next… that’s J e double F… J a double R e double T… I really like that the NWO comes out through the crowd for the most part… gives them a completely different look… Jarrett just got more pyro than damn near all of WrestleMania… good cat and mouse game here with Jeff and Giant… the NWO was so over, it was scary… can someone understand to me how Jeff Jarrett got the singlet on… the one with the three straps that are attached to his pants… I don’t get it and it needs to be solved… Here comes STING… I loved this mysterious Sting and I still want to know what was up with Sting speaking into the ears of the people and what he said. Jarrett’s facial when Sting grabs him by the hair is priceless. So, I may have a theory…. Jarrett came from WWF and maybe Sting is thinking that he is going to join the NWO or something like that… I don’t think we ever got an answer on this.

Match Rating – 2.5 stars

It’s contract-signing time… this segment was so memorable here… the fact that they have the tablecloth that looks like a kilt is just right on time. Speaking of contract… they made Piper look so stupid by having him write up the contract, but not make it a title match… like I get it that he just wants to fight Hogan, but Piper is smarter than that. Roddy is so good on the mic with his rants… sometimes, they kind of meander on and on, but when he is focused it is so, so good. Hogan had so much heat… he is the only reason that the NWO were heels… like everyone else was too cool for school, but Hogan was a straight-up Heel. I really wish that the NWO had kept the nucleus of what they were… like once Eric joined, that should have been it… it just got so watered down… Also, Eric had to be in the NWO… it’s the only way that it makes sense for them to have such free reign. The hip angle was so good… it mixed reality into wrestling seamlessly. This segment went so well and while I don’t like lengthy segments on PPV, this was so worth taking up a match spot, especially with most of the wrestlers being in the WW3 match.

Segment rating – 4 stars

Harlem Heat vs. Amazing French Canadians

This is a match that I am looking forward to a lot. I love a good stipulation and Sherri getting 5 minutes with Parker is just so much fun, just for Dusty’s commentary alone. Harlem Heat really loves talking into the camera… I always loved it because it was so different… you would never see this in WWF at the time or now either. The French Canadians just hit a modified Total Elimination… nowhere near as impactful or cool looking as the real thing… ive never seen that before.. Booker just leaped over an attempted back body drop right into a school boy… that was cool… crowd isn’t really into this match… getting small pops, but the crowd had been hot all night long… REF BUMP…. O, yea… its CONSTRUCTION TIME… Bobby Heenan – “They’re building a clubhouse.” Sherri gets 5-minutes with Parker and it some of the funniest commentary I have ever heard… I highly recommend finding this segment just to listen to Dusty… “SHE CLOTHESLINED HIM”

Match Rating – 2 stars …. 2.5 stars if we include the post match segment

And again… the announcers are pushing the match at Starrcade… some people don’t like that, but you gotta sell the next PPV if you already got the money for this one. This promo for Starrcade is so corny.

“Mean” Gene is about to interview Lex Luger, but gotta plug that HOTLINE… Luger is just so generic on the microphone… Side note, my dad had the same haircut as Luger… yea that’s how boring this promo was.

Dean Malenko vs. Psychosis

Cruiserweight Title time… nice mat work to start this match off… this match is technically very, very good… it just hasn’t really caught my attention much… the match is starting to pick it up some… beautiful reversals of tombstones leading to a 2 count…

Match Rating – 3 stars

Face of Fear vs. Nasty Boys vs. Outsiders

Triangle Match for the World Tag Team Titles…. This match has some real life heat in it with Scott Hall and Jerry Sags… The Triangle match was so new at this time that is feels fresh and like a special attraction. This match has been a hell of a slugfest… I love this spot that is about to happen so much…. CLUBBERING… 4 FISTS ON 1 BODY… the fans popped so big for the Outsiders having to fight each other… shows that if they had let the babyfaces (WCW) get some of their heat back by outsmarting the NWO, that the NWO would still be looked at as heels, but the WCW as a whole would be bigger Faces.

Match Rating – 3.5 stars

World War 3 Battle Royal

This is such a visual with the three rings being filled up with a mass of humanity. The Dungeon of Doom fighting off against the Horsemen is a great and different way to start a battle royal. Just gives that err of realism that WCW was known for in this time period. I absolutely hate the three-camera shot that they used throughout most of this match. So as a little inside baseball as it’s called… if the Wrestling Commission rules are anything like they are now for Virginia, then WCW got a hell of a fine for all these guys fighting in the stands… its against the rules now, but I don’t know if it was then. Lee Marshall getting the shit kicked out of him by Barbarian was a personal highlight of mine. I loved the strategy that the NWO used by staying in the corner huddled together. Logically speaking, it made the most sense. It also makes the brawl at the beginning mean so much more because now the only faction left is the NWO. Not that much to really talk about right now… I could give you a play by play… FOREARM, FOREARM, FOREARM, PUNCH, FOREARM… got it? Good… how in the world does a Villinano make it towards the end of the battle royal... The American Males are starting to split up… still top 5 best theme songs in wrestling… WCW production makes me so mad… they are all in the same ring and yet we still get this 3-way shot that makes it so you cant see anything… there is literally like 13 people left and we still got this damn three box shot… now they are doing a long shot on the bottom box,… finally… FULL SCREEN… I’m so happy… We got Luger, Rey, DDP, Jarrett, Eddie Guerrero, Regal for WCW… Nash, Hall, Syxx, Giant for the NWO… the sight of Giant holding Rey by one hand military press style is just amazing… of course, Eddie would be the one to catch Rey… Luger is left with the four NWO… the crowd is hot for this… Hall’s out.., Syxx is out.. Nash down… Torture Rack…Giant dumps them both…

Match Rating – 3.5 stars

Overall, this PPV was really fun… it was typical WCW with great undercard action including a match that you should go out of your way to watch… The NWO stands tall to end the show, as we would come accustomed to. I really hope you enjoyed my first venture into doing something like this… post your feedback as well as suggestions for shows you would like for me to watch.

Thread Information