Thread: The 2019 King Of Be The Booker Tournament | Final Four

Shoulder To Shoulder

Status
      Country                    Ireland

The 2019 King Of Be The Booker Tournament | Final Four

King of Be The Booker Final Four | Pick Your Poison

Congratulations to everyone who has made it to the last four of this year's tournament and here is what we have in store for you. As in previous rounds, we’re foregoing matching people up, in order for the two best scores to advance to the grand final.

The
    Fantastic Four {Average score out of 40 over the first two rounds}

~ SYKOTIC
    {30.625} NO SHOWED

~ HUG LIFE {30.625} NO SHOWED
    ~ TY2J {29.375}
    ~ LINGUISTIC TURN {25.75}

The Challenge

As the title of this round may suggest, you will choose your own weapons this round. But the choice will be limited to a finite list comprised by myself and Keefmoon. We have selected 20 people you can choose from, ranging from the 1980’s to the modern day. Most of whom will cover multiple decades, many will even have multiple gimmicks you can choose between.Here’s what we’ve come up with;

1980’s
    Curt Hennig, Ray Traylor, Rowdy Roddy Piper, The Ultimate Warrior

1990’s
    Charles Wright, Dustin Rhodes, Jeff Jarrett, Sean Waltman

2000’s
    Bubba Ray Dudley, Glen Jacobs, Jeff Hardy, Matt Morgan

2010’s
    Bobby Roode, Cody Rhodes, EC3, The Miz

Women
    Trish Stratus, Mickie James, Gail Kim, Jazz

Here is what we want from you;

- First, choose which category you want to pick as your ‘poison’.

- You can then do anything you want with that category, using ANY combination of the four people (you can use two, three or all four should you wish).

- You can set the match in any era, in any company, using any gimmick you want if you so choose (for example, you can have select Piper vs. Hennig from the 80’s category but set the match in the late 90’s if you like, or have Papa Shango make a 2006 return to challenge Goldust.).

-We require a background to the feud you will be writing. How did the two superstars you have been allocated come to cross paths? What caused their rivalry? Is there a title involved? (You are allowed to use other people not listed in the categories if required for your backstory)

- A promo during the build up of the feud in order to sell the match. (You're limited to only the four people in your category for this.)

-The blow-off match for the rivalry in its entirety.
    It can be on any television show or PPV and can have - or not have - any gimmick attached. No word limit but I don’t want to be reading something which is endless and it could cost you if you go too long.

The Judging Criteria

You will be graded on the following points, totalling 40 points per judge and a maximum of 80 once combined.

Formatting/Presentation
    Creativity
    Storytelling/Emotional Investment
    Description/Detail

Your entry MUST be sent to Wolf Beast and Keefmoon via Private Message. No other way will be accepted and if you fail to send to both judges you will not be scored by both of them.

The deadline for submitting your quarter-final entry to
    WOLF BEAST and KEEFMOON is SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 1st AT THIS EXACT TIME. If you decide to bail, you not only let yourself down but you let the section down, please just let judges know if you no longer want to take part as soon as possible. Good luck everyone!

Any questions, feel free to ask in discussion thread or send aPM.

*Huge Credit to Keefmoon on the concept for this round, switching up the previous ‘Random Match’ formula with something different.
    Last edited by Wolf Beast; 09-08-2019 at 07:57 AM.

Shoulder To Shoulder

Status

Re: The 2019 King Of Be The Booker Tournament | Final Four

TY2J

BACKSTORY

FADE IN.

NXT TAKEOVER: BROOKLYN III KICK- OFF SHOW PANEL
    FEATURING; Charly Caruso, Corey Graves, Lita, and Sam Roberts.

We come back from break, as we see our lead correspondent for the pre-showl, Charly Caruso, sitting beside the rest of our panel, consisting of Sam Roberts, Lita, and Corey Graves!

Charly Caruso: And now, let’s talk about our main event of the evening, because some really big things have happened in NXT over the last few months -

Corey Graves: Understatement of the year, Charly.

Charly Caruso: All starting back at Takeover: Orlando, where we saw the beginning of the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic 2017, we also saw the dawn of a new era of NXT!

Sam Roberts: That’s right, Charly. Since the NXT Championships got a new facelift, it looks like the NXT Champion Bobby Roode had the same idea for NXT as a whole!

Lita: Well, as Sam is hinting at, you can take this back to where Bobby Roode made his debut. He said that he wanted NXT to be a place for the higher class, and for people that have been supporting NXT since it’s start to be pushed out in order to make way for what he calls a “Glorious Era.”

Corey Graves: And I for one can’t wait. We’ve seen Bobby Roode put down Shinsuke Nakamura, Roderick Strong, and even at Takeover Chicago a few months ago he defeated a man who many people thought was on the edge of breaking out into the next big thing, Hideo Itami!

Charly Caruso: Speaking of Takeover Chicago, Corey, that was the event that truly started this rivalry off! A surprise earlier in the night saw former WWE Superstar, Cody Rhodes, sitting at ringside to get a closer look at the finals of the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic with his brother Goldust. Cody was only in attendance to help present the winners with the trophy, but only 11 days later on NXT, tensions already started to reach a fever pitch. Let’s take you back to show you what we mean.

FADE OUT

THE PROMO

FADE ON - WEDNESDAY - MAY 31st, 2017
    [FOOTAGE COURTESY OF THE WWE NETWORK, SUBSCRIBE NOW FOR ONLY $9.99, FIRST MONTH FREE!]

We pan over the fans in attendance as the familiar three beat chant of “N-X-T!” rings out through the Full Sail Campus!

***GLORIOUS DOMINATION***
    NXT CHAMPION - BOBBY ROODE

The crowd quickly begins to sing along, as from behind the curtain walks the NXT Champion! Dressed in a fine blue suit, “Glorious” Bobby Roode makes his way down the ramp and into the ring, being handed a microphone on his way up the stairs. As the champion’s music fades off, the crowd very quickly turns to boos. Roode looks around and smirks for a second before speaking.

Bobby Roode: Shut your mouths and listen when your champion is speaking!

HEAT.

Bobby Roode: Is that any way to greet YOUR NXT WORLDS’ CHAMPION?!

MORE HEAT. YOU SUCK CHANTS.

Bobby Roode: No, no, no. You all paid to see me here tonight, and I’m getting paid to stand between these ropes and talk to you right now, so all of you broke, unsuccessful, low-life pieces of garbage have no other choice but to sit down! Shut up! And listen to the GLORIOUS voice of your NXT Champion, Bobby Roode!

HEAT. ROODE LAUGHS.

Bobby Roode: I’ve been in NXT for a good stretch now, and I think as the champion I have some pull in this place. So here’s why I’m out here, Full Sail! I am here to say once and for all that Bobby Roode is going to do what he has set out to do from day one! From day one in NXT I have told you all that I am here to break down the image of what NXT once was, the underground hipster show that only the “real” fans watch. I have said since day one that I have a greater vision for NXT. An image where the seats aren’t filled with… With -

Roode hops out of the ring, placing his championship on the mat, as he goes towards the front row.

Bobby Roode: With trash that we also see in this place!

Roode motions generally to a family people wearing WWE T-Shirts

Bobby Roode: You people give sports entertainment a bad name! LOOK AT YOU!

Motioning to the father, wearing a Bayley T-Shirt

Bobby Roode: A GROWN MAN WEARING A SHIRT THAT SAYS I’M A HUGGER?! Do you know how lower class you people make this business look?!

Roode looks disgusted, the crowd boos getting louder. The champion gets back into the ring, staring into the hard cam with a look of anger and determination.

Bobby Roode: I have a greater plan for all of NXT, where sports entertainment will rise to levels never seen! And the first step in that process is getting NXT the HELL out of Full Sail!

HEAT.

Bobby Roode: But to do that... We need to break things down. So starting tonight, Bobby Roode is declaring himself on a mission to destroy what you know as NXT and recreate it once and for all… Recreate it for the betterment of sports entertainment… Recreate it so that the flavors of the month are in the back where they belong… Recreate it in an image that truly is… GLORIOU -

LIGHTS DIMMED, BARELY VISIBLE, SPOTLIGHT ON STAGE

Roode goes silent with shock, turning to the stage as everybody in the crowd gets to their feet. The crowd grows in noise with anticipation at who has something to say to the champion -

“Wrestling has more than one… Royal family.”

HUGE POP.

Nigel McGuinness: YOU’VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

On the stage, out walks Cody Rhodes! He doesn’t even work here! He’s wearing an American Nightmare T-Shirt and blue jeans, as he makes his way down to the ring. The crowd chants Welcome Back to him as he slaps hands and smiles for the NXT Universe!

Mauro Ranallo: Cody Rhodes was a guest for the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic 11 nights ago, but why is he here?!

Cody Rhodes gets into the ring, getting a microphone of his own, while staring at the NXT Championship over the shoulder of Bobby Roode. Cody chants ring out, as Bobby Roode looks furious.

Bobby Roode: Who the hell do you think you are interrupting the champion?!

Cody looks up, looking Roode in the eyes for the first time. The smile quickly disappears, as he sets laser focus on the man standing opposite him. He waits for a moment, not breaking eye contact.

Bobby Roode: Did you go deaf since the last time you were here? I said… Who the hell do you -

Cody Rhodes: (Dry delivery.) Shut up, Bobby.

The crowd pops huge as Roode’s eyes go wide! Rhodes goes on -

Cody Rhodes: You see, Bobby Roode, I’ve got a bit of a bone to pick with you. I’ve got a bit of a problem with what you stand for… You see… NXT and I have a very… Complex relationship. I’ve never competed here as a regular NXT superstar, but you and I both know how much this brand means to me. I refuse to stand in the back and to hear you sour the legacy of my father’s creation, because you stand for everything that my father fought against.

Bobby Roode smirks, laughing for a moment, as Rhodes doesn’t change his expression. Roode notices and wipes a tear from his eye before talking.

Bobby Roode: Oh, were you serious? *Chuckles again, calms himself* You see, I don’t think you know this Cody, but NXT has been Rhodes free for years now. NXT doesn’t depend on a legacy of someone from yesteryear, and that isn’t going to change just because you need to speak up when your feelings get hurt, it depends on a real star going out there and putting on a performance each and every night to prove why they’re the best. But… You wouldn’t know what it takes to be a world champion, even on your father’s old plaything.

CROWD OH’S.

Cody Rhodes: Oh! (Pacing, growing annoyed.) Rhodes free?! Let me fill you in on something, Bobby, because here’s something that you don’t seem to get. What Dusty did for NXT isn’t something that went away when he left us. What Dusty did for NXT was give people a chance to make it in ways they never dreamed imaginable. What Dusty did for NXT was help your Finn Balors, your Kevin Owens, your Seth Rollins make it to the top of this industry by helping them find their way to take what they had and show just why that made them so good at this!

Cody stops pacing, as he looks out to the fans for a moment before continuing.

Cody Rhodes: That is why I’m back here, Bobby, not because I got my feelings hurt when you said you wanted to change NXT, not because you got under my skin, and not because I was worried you’d dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back... I am here because I refuse to let you downplay one of the most important men in the history of this business!

POP.

Cody Rhodes: What Dusty did was create a whole generation of stars in the Performance Center, on NXT, on SmackDown Live, on Raw, all over the wrestling world because that was what my father was committed to in the twilight of his life; giving back to the fans that gave him everything he had in life…

Cody gets choked up for a moment, as Roode seems to actually be listening to Cody! The crowd cheers as Cody collects himself for a moment.

Cody Rhodes: So while you talk about wanting to make NXT this utopia where only the rich thrive, where the common man and every day fan is cast aside, I say I’ve heard this story before. I say this is the tale I’ve been told since I was in diapers. I say THIS is where I have found my own hard times, because Bobby Roode HARD TIMES are when somebody who gives no respect and deserves even less tries to take something that your family has sacrificed their entire lives for just because he wants to pad his pockets.

Cody Rhodes stares down Bobby Roode, as he drops the microphone. The crowd cheers, and Roode looks down, seemingly avoiding eye contact with Rhodes as the champion seems solemn for a moment. Cody turns, going between the ropes to leave the ring -

BOOT TO THE HEAD OF CODY RHODES! Cody falls back into the ring as the crowd drowns Bobby Roode in jeers. Roode drops the NXT title, getting on top of Cody Rhodes and dishing out right hands into the head! Pounding over and over Roode finally lets up! As the NXT Champion gets to his feet, he unbuttons his cuffs, laying down the championship in the center of the ring. As Cody staggers up, Roode lifts him into position for the Glorious DDT!

Bobby Roode: GLORIOU -

Mauro Ranallo: DOUBLE LEG FROM RHODES! CODY’S GOT HEART! CODY’S GOT FIGHT!

Cody Rhodes laying in haymakers on the ground, as Roode scrambles to cover up! Cody Rhodes gets back to his feet, as he shakes the ropes - the fans come alive once again! Rhodes goes back to grab Roode - Cody has him in position for the Cross Rhodes! Roode flails, and is able to drag both men towards the ropes - Roode uses the ropes to barely escape out of the ring and hightail his way up the ramp!

CROWD: CO-DY! CO-DY! CO-DY! CO-DY! CO-DY!

Cody Rhodes checks his lip, as he looks down and notices on the ground - The NXT Championship! Cody Rhodes picks up the belt, looking at it for a second. Cody looks around the arena for the fans, who all begin to chant YES! A sly smirk crosses the face of the Son of a Son of a Plumber, as he holds the belt up high!

Nigel McGuinness: A dangerous challenge may have just been laid down for the NXT Champion!

Mauro Ranallo: The prodigal son has returned, Nigel, and after tonight, Bobby Roode’s championship reign may be what has reached hard times!

FADE OUT.

BACKSTORY - CONTINUED

FADE IN.
    NXT TAKEOVER: BROOKLYN III KICK- OFF SHOW PANEL
    FEATURING; Charly Caruso, Corey Graves, Lita, and Sam Roberts.

We see our panel once again, as Corey Graves begins to speak.

Corey Graves: Look, I don’t see the problem with Bobby Roode that Cody Rhodes seems to have. Bobby has taken the torch and is running with it to help make the brand that Cody’s father helped build into a global powerhouse. How is that wrong?!

Lita: Graves, you can’t see anything as a genuine moment, can you? Cody left the WWE to try and prove that he was good enough to stand on his own, without his father’s legacy. And when he comes back as a guest, he sees that everything his father worked for in the final years of his life were being made a mockery of by Bobby Roode. That didn’t sit well with the Son of a Son of a Plumber.

Sam Roberts: I mean, it's clear when you look at it. Cody asked Regal for a shot at the NXT Championship later that night, and it lead to a fantastic match up!

Charly Caruso: Of course, Sam referring to the match that Cody Rhodes had to fight against Bobby Roode's recent challenger, Hideo Itami, in order to earn the right to face the champion on NXT.

Sam Roberts: Exactly! A great match that saw Cody Rhodes take the victory, leading to Cody Rhodes challenging for the NXT Championship just one day after our Independence Day.

Corey Graves: And on July 5th, Bobby Roode proved to the world why he is still the best in the world -

Charly Caruso: By losing by count out…

Corey Graves: Champion’s advantage exists for a reason! You need to beat the champion, they don’t need to beat you!

Sam Roberts: Well, what did Roode have to prove in his brutal assault after Cody’s Match with Hideo? If Bobby’s just gonna run away scared, why provoke the challenger?

Corey stays silent for a moment, an unusual change, yet a welcome one.

Charly Caruso: Well, after Bobby Roode lost his championship defense by count out, yet remained champion, Cody Rhodes grew hungrier and hungrier as he awaited his chance to compete again. Two weeks ago on NXT, as Bobby Roode was having a match against a PC talent in what he called “A Glorious Showcase”, from the back would spring Cody Rhodes -

Lita: Bull rope in hand!

Charly Caruso: That’s right! Rhodes would run down with bull rope in hand, whipping at the champion! Roode would make it out of there with only two lashings connecting, but William Regal would appear on the titantron to announce that Bobby Roode was all talk for far too long, making tonight’s massive main event a Bull Rope Match!

Corey Graves: This isn’t fair to the champion, The Rhodes family has Bull Rope Matches in the triple digits! How can he be expected to be as prepared as Cody in this match?!

Lita: (Smirking.) Are we hearing you doubting the NXT Champion..?

Corey Graves: (Indignantly.) No comment.

Charly Caruso: And for those who don’t know, we’ll run down the rules quickly for the fans, as this is the first ever Bull Rope Match in NXT history!

FADE ON RULES GRAPHIC.

BULL ROPE MATCH RULES
    >A competitor will be tied to each end of the 15 foot Bull Rope
    >A cowbell will hang from the center of the rope, and can be used by either competitor.
    >Victory is achieved by pinfall or submission inside the ring.
    >Only one way to be disqualified - intentionally taking off the bull rope.
    >If Bobby Roode is disqualified, HE WILL LOSE THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP

FADE BACK TO THE PANEL.

Sam Roberts: A match that started out of pride has boiled over into a battle of hatred and refusal to back down. Is Bobby Roode just as Glorious as he says he is, and does NXT really need to follow his path for success? Or has the return of the prodigal son, Cody Rhodes, brought back the spirit of the old NXT? Has the return of a Rhodes reinvigorated the spirit that no matter who you are, no matter where you come from, you reach the mountain tops with enough heart and determination? Who will walk out of tonight’s main event with the NXT Championship belt around their waist?

Charly Caruso: Sam I couldn’t have put it any better myself. That’s all our time here on the NXT Takeover Brooklyn III Kick Off Show! Thank you to the NXT Universe for joining us here, and don’t forget you have to go to the WWE Network to catch our main event, and the rest of our fantastic card! For Corey Graves, Sam Roberts, and Lita, this is Charly Caruso, signing off!

FADE OUT.

THE MATCH

FADE IN - ROODE[c] v. RHODES PROMO PACKAGE

FLASH IN SLOW MOTION OF BOBBY ROODE.
    BOBBY ROODE[Voiceover]: NXT is going to be rebuilt!

HIGHLIGHTS OF BOBBY ROODE HITTING SIGNATURE MOVES AND POSING.
    BOBBY ROODE[Voiceover]: The crowds will be filled with businessmen and millionaires! We are going to see NXT get some class! I am going to make NXT…

GLORIOUS!

BOBBY ROODE HIGHLIGHTS DEFEATING RODERICK STRONG, SHINSUKE NAKAMURA, AND HIDEO ITAMI.
    NIGEL MCGUINNESS: The talent on display of the champion!

PERCY WATSON: It’s almost like Bobby Roode was built to be a champion!

BOBBY ROODE STANDS TALL WITH HIS CHAMPIONSHIP BELT!
    MAURO RANALLO: Another night that The Glorious One reigns supreme over the black and gold brand!

FADE IN - ROODE ENTRANCE AFTER TAKEOVER CHICAGO

Bobby Roode: I have a greater plan for all of NXT, where sports entertainment will rise to levels never seen! And for that you will have me to thank… But to do that. We need to break things down. So starting tonight, Bobby Roode declaring himself on a mission to destroy what you know as NXT and recreate it once and for all… Recreate it for the betterment of sports entertainment… Recreate it in an image that truly is… GLORIOU -

“Wrestling has more than one... Royal Family.”

CODY RHODES WALKS ONTO THE STAGE!
    NIGEL MCGUINNESS: YOU’VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

FLASH FORWARD

Cody Rhodes: So while you talk about wanting to make NXT this utopia where only the rich thrive, where the common man and every day fan is cast aside, I say I’ve heard this story before. I say this is the tale I’ve been told since I was in diapers. I say THIS is where I have found my own hard times, because Bobby Roode HARD TIMES are when somebody who gives no respect and deserves even less tries to take something that your family has sacrificed their entire lives for just because he wants to pad his pockets.

Cody Rhodes drops the microphone, as the crowd cheers. Roode looks down, solemn for a moment as what was just said sinks in. Cody goes to leave the ring -

BOOT TO THE HEAD OF CODY RHODES AS HE’S BETWEEN THE ROPES! The two men brawl, with Cody Rhodes sending Bobby Roode packing! Cody Rhodes holds up the NXT Championship high above his head!

ONE WEEK LATER - REGAL’S OFFICE
    WILLIAM REGAL: Due to the nature of their encounter, I have decided to grant Cody Rhodes an opportunity to challenge for the NXT Championship - however! He will have to defeat Bobby Roode’s most recent challenger in Hideo Itami, next week.

FLASH FORWARD - CODY RHODES vs. HIDEO ITAMI, June 14th, 2017
    MAURO RANALLO: These two men, leaving it all on the line in the ring tonight as Cody Rhodes looks to earn his shot at the NXT Championship!

ITAMI HAS RHODES UP FOR THE GO 2 SLEEP - RHODES SLIPS OUT THE BACK! CROSS RHODES!

3!

MAURO RANALLO:
    HE’S DONE IT! CODY RHODES HAS PUNCHED HIS TICKET!

NIGEL MCGUINNESS: That right there proves the heart and determination of that young man! I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Bobby Roode may be in trouble -

WHAM!

Roode slid into the ring, and now he’s laying in to his new #1 Contender! Security floods out to the ring, as Bobby Roode continues to beat down on the battered and lifeless American Nightmare!

FLASH FORWARD - JULY 5th, 2017 - NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - BOBBY ROODE[c] vs. CODY RHODES

HIGHLIGHTS OF BOTH MEN’S OFFENSE, A VERY CLOSELY CONTESTED AFFAIR!

Cody is looking to end it! He could be one Cross Rhodes away from Immortality! Roode slips out the back! Thumb to the eye from Bobby Roode! Cody staggers back, unable to see, as the champion uses this time as an opportunity to leave the ring?!

MAURO RANALLO: Now wait just a damn second! Where does Roode think he’s going?!

“Your Winner By Count Out, Cody Rhodes.”

“However… Still your NXT Champion, Bobby Roode.”

FLASH - NXT JULY 26th, 2017
    BOBBY ROODE vs. ANGELO DAWKINS

Roode dominates the young talent - WHEN RHODES SPRINTS FROM THE BACK WITH A BULL ROPE! ROODE RUNS LIKE THERE’S NO TOMORROW!

FLASH - REGALS OFFICE, JULY 26th, 2017

William Regal:
    The antics of our… *clears throat* “champion,” have left a sour taste in the mouth of myself, the viewers, and perhaps mostly so, Cody Rhodes. Now, Cody has come up to me with an offer, that I believe to be the best option to get this settled once and for all. For that reason, at NXT Takeover Brooklyn III, our main event will be Cody Rhodes once more challenging Bobby Roode for the NXT Championship.

FLASHING HIGHLIGHTS OF RHODES v ROODE I
    WILLIAM REGAL[Voiceover]: And that match will be contested in a stipulation where Bobby Roode is unable to run from his problems. Where he must either step up and prove to be the champion he says he is, or show the NXT Universe that the Rhodes last name may truly forever be ingrained in NXT’s rich history.

HIGHLIGHTS SHOW BETWEEN SHOTS FROM SIT DOWN INTERVIEWS
    Cody Rhodes: It pisses me off, to be honest with you, the fact that Bobby Roode is able to say the things he does, cheat to defend his championship, and still rake in the bonus that comes from “winning” those big matches that could be going to the hardworking members of the roster who deserve it. The people who actually do the work and get done what they need to get done that should put them at the top. Bobby Roode for me represents that person you know at work that buddies up with those in management, just so that they can start to do whatever they want when they get an inch of power.

Bobby Roode: What Cody Rhodes is, is a sham. He can dress up in suits and smoke cigars all he wants to, but the difference in myself and him is that I’m authentic. I grew up in this life, this is what I know and the only way I am who I am today… For Cody, he wants to escape. Because he knows I’m right. He won’t admit it, but deep down he knows that the rich in this world succeed, and the rednecks like him and his family are just stepping stones for us to crush on our way to the top. But by all means, continue to act as though he loves being the white trash that he really is.

FLASH PICTURES OF CODY RHODES AS A KID, GROWING UP, NOW, HOLDING BULL ROPE
    Cody Rhodes: I’m still every bit the man I’ve always been; I know that, my family knows that, the fans know that. This won’t be a wrestling match. I’m not looking to put on a technical clinic. This is going to be brutal, this is going to be cathartic, this is going to be a fight. And at Takeover, Bobby Roode is going to learn that himself. He’s going to learn that when he isn’t able to run and hide, that when he’s looking at me and he ties this bull rope to his wrist... He’s going to find out that there isn’t an escape anymore, and that when a Rhodes is faced with hard times… They deliver.

FLASH PICTURES OF ROODE WRESTLING, SHOWING HIS FANCY CARS, SHOWING HIS LARGE ESTATE
    Bobby Roode: The last name “Rhodes” was once synonymous with greatness in sports entertainment. It meant charisma, it meant authenticity, it meant talent, until the family got their price met by the McMahons. Now they’re known for polka-dots and playing dress up. If you want to fight, I can fight. I’ve been in this industry for twice the amount of time Cody has been, and in that time I’ve proved myself to be an elite competitor. The time has come and gone that the Rhodes name has held any water in this industry, and the Selfish Generation is going to rise up, with it’s GLORIOUS leader at the helm.

PLAY SONG - COMMON MAN BY BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION

“Lord won't you help me
    Make it through the night?”

We see Cody Rhodes sitting, head in his hands in an office, pictures of his family and career surround him.

“No one can hear me
    Lead me to the light”

The spotlight shines down on Bobby Roode making a grand entrance at Takeover Chicago!

“You are the reason
    I am here today”

We see Cody Rhodes training, as we see pictures of him with Dusty Rhodes and Goldust throughout the years.

“Love is the answer
    Take me far away”

We see Roode and Rhodes brawl for the first time - Rhodes holds up the NXT Championship!

“ON MY OWN I’M NO BETTER THAN”

CROSS RHODES!

“ALL ALONE”

GLORIOUS DDT!
    “I'M A COMMON MAN”

NXT CHAMPIONSHIP BULL ROPE MATCH:
    CODY RHODES vs. BOBBY ROODE[c]

FADE OUT.

We go to the ring area, where we see NXT Ring Announcer Mike Rome standing there and waiting.

“Wrestling has more than one… Royal Family.”

FADE ON - KINGDOM BY DOWNSTAIT

From behind the curtain, out walks the man of the hour; Cody Rhodes! The challenger makes his way down the ramp, wearing black gear with gold trim, cowboy boots, and a polka dot elbow pad on his right elbow, paying homage to his father. He walks past tarped off parts of the stage, as the commentary ignores that for the time being. As Cody Rhodes makes his way down the ramp, Mauro Ranallo talks about his accomplishments on the independents in just around a year, claiming that Cody Rhodes has found a new fire inside himself that may just be the tipping point here tonight. Cody gets in the ring, shaking the ropes before he climbs to the middle turnbuckle to hype up the crowd.

LIGHTS DOWN

The cameras pan over the crowd, before going to the stage where we see the tarped off parts uncovered - Revealing an orchestra?! The stage is filled with brass instruments, drums, a piano, and a string section! An older man in a suit walks out, as does a group of younger people who each go to their instruments. The older man, now clearly the conductor, grabs his baton and taps on the sheet music stand in front of him. He raises his hands as the orchestra begins to play -

FADE ON - GLORIOUS DOMINATION BY THE NEW YORK YOUTH SYMPHONY

From the back, out marches the champion - Bobby Roode! Wearing a red, white, and blue robe, Nigel McGuinness proclaims Bobby Roode the new American Dream - ignoring Percy Watson’s reminder that Roode is in fact Canadian. The champion makes his way down to the ring, as the orchestra continues to play the song that the fans are providing the words to. As he gets in the ring, Mike Rome does the official introductions.

ALL LIGHTS DOWN, SPOTLIGHTS IN THE RING

Mike Rome: The following contest is a BULL ROPE MATCH scheduled for one fall, and it is for the N-X-T Championship!

POP.

Mike Rome: Introducing first, the challenger. From Atlanta, Georgia, standing at 6 feet, 2 inches tall, and weighing in at 220 pounds… He is the Son of a Son of a Plumber, THE AMERICAN NIGHTMARE - CODY RHODES!

Cody Rhodes raises his hand, not breaking eye contact with his opponent standing across from him.

Mike Rome: Introducing next… From Toronto, Ontario, Canada, standing at 6 feet tall, and weighing in at 235 pounds… He is The “IT Factor," the N-X-T Champion, “GLORIOUS” BOBBY ROODE!

Roode holds his championship high above his head, getting in the face of Cody Rhodes who refuses to back down! Both men talking trash chest to chest as NXT Senior Official Drake Wuertz gets between both men. Other officials enter the ring, fashioning the 15 foot Bull Rope to either competitors wrists, the cowbell in the center ringing out as the rope shakes. Wuertz holds the NXT Championship above his head for all to see. Wuertz hands the championship to a ring hand, as both men are securely harnessed to each other by their left wrists-

DING!

DING!

DING!

NXT CHAMPIONSHIP BULL ROPE MATCH
    Cody Rhodes vs. Bobby Roode[c]

The bell rings and Cody Rhodes wastes no time rushing in! Pulling on the rope to get Roode close to the center of the ring, Cody gets a double leg! Rhodes raining down a barrage of strikes on Bobby Roode! Roode struggles to get out from under his challenger, trying to find a balance between grappling his way out and blocking the right hands from Rhodes. The champion uses the bull rope to lash the back of Cody Rhodes! In the moment of pain, Roode is able to get out from under Cody and slide out of the ring. As Roode tries to get some separation, he feel the yank of the bull rope reaching its maximum length! No more running for the champion! Cody Rhodes gets up, going towards the ropes to try and meet his opponent - But Roode yanks on the bull rope, sending the throat of his challenger into the top rope! Cody falls back, sputtering and hacking as his ability to breathe just got cut short.

“That is why he is your champion! Never a moment without strategy!” - Nigel McGuinness

“Strategy or cowardice?! Bobby Roode needs to use anything and everything to even compete right now!” - Percy Watson

Roode rolls back into the ring, landing a boot to the face of his challenger. Cody falls back to the mat, as the champion wraps the bull rope around his fist a few times - right hand with the rope between the eyes of Cody Rhodes! Roode looks at the cowbell in the center of the rope, seemingly getting an idea as a smirk grows across his face. Roode kneels behind Rhodes, applying a chin lock with his right arm while grabbing the bell with his left - And grinding the corner of the cowbell into the forehead of Cody Rhodes! Commentary screams out for Roode to show mercy, as he may permanently scar his opponent right now! Bobby Roode pulls the cowbell back, before hauling off and jamming it into the forehead! The Glorious One stands up, taunting the crowd as Cody Rhodes is down and out in the ground. The cameras look to Rhodes as he pulls his head off the mat - Cody Rhodes is bleeding! - A cut above his right eye has opened up, as the referee puts on his gloves to check on the challenger. Cody tries to get to his feet as the challenger mocks him in an over the top “put up your dukes” motion as Rhodes falls back to a knee. Drake Wuertz gets between both men, checking on Cody despite Rhodes’ attempts to get back in the fight. The crowd boos beginning chants that soon flood the building -

LET THEM FIGHT! LET THEM FIGHT! LET THEM FIGHT!

Rhodes staggers back to his feet, shoving the official out of the way as the NXT Champion charges in - Sidestepped! Bobby Roode goes flying between the ring ropes towards the announce desk! The sudden jerk of movement sends Rhodes stumbling between the ropes himself, as both men are now on the floor outside! After a few seconds, Roode uses the apron to stand while Cody climbs up to his feet himself. Cody Rhodes sprints at Roode - who also sidesteps! But Rhodes leaps onto the apron - push off - DISASTER KICK ON THE OUTSIDE! Bobby Roode got rocked from that kick! Roode staggers into the Spanish announce table as fans around ringside rise out of their seats! Cody Rhodes catches his breath, wiping blood out of his eyes as he walks over to his opponent - Thumb to the eye!

“How can you justify this, Nigel?! Cody Rhodes already partially blinded from his own blood, and Bobby Roode STILL takes shortcuts!” - Percy Watson

“It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a Greco-Roman thumb to the eye, Bobby Roode truly is a student of the game! Rhodes doesn’t stand a chance!” - Nigel McGuinness

Bobby Roode grabs the cover for the announce table, throwing it directly at the head of his challenger! Rhodes hits the floor hard on the outside, as The a Glorious One continues to clear off the announce table! Roode goes back to grab his opponent - COWBELL TO THE FACE!

“More cowbell anyone?!” - Mauro Ranallo

Bobby Roode staggers, jelly legged after the brass between the eyes. Roode stumbles into the ring, as The American Nightmare follows him in! Cody Rhodes shakes his head, blood now dribbling onto his chest as he wipes away at his face, yet a Rhodes is not stopping yet! Rhodes grabs the bull rope, as Bobby Roode leans against the rope - LASH TO THE BACK! Bobby Roode flops around in pain on the mat, quickly getting to one knee - ANOTHER LASH! Roode falls to his stomach before trying to roll out again - But Rhodes plants his feet and uses the bull rope to force Bobby Roode to stay in the ring!

“Remember, if either man intentionally takes off that bull rope, they will be disqualified!” - Mauro Ranallo

“And Bobby Roode will LOSE his NXT Championship if he gets disqualified!” - Percy Watson

“How dare you suggest Bobby would -“ - Nigel McGuinness

McGuinness is cut off by the THUNDEROUS sound of a third brutal lashing to the back of the champion! Cody Rhodes goes to the ring ropes, shaking them and yelling out to the NXT Universe in attendance who roar in response! Cody looks to be measuring Bobby Roode, who is back to one knee, breathing heavily in agony. Rhodes runs to the ropes and springboards off the middle - Disaster Ki- NO! CAUGHT OUT OF THE AIR INTO A SPINEBUSTER! COVER FROM THE CHAMPION!

No!

The Dream stays alive for Cody Rhodes!

Roode gets back to his feet, catching his breath. Now, all jokes are out the window. Roode stomps on the left ankle of Cody Rhodes, as the challengers yells out in pain. Rhodes tries to get to the ropes, but Roode uses the bull rope to contain Rhodes in the center of the ring. As Cody gets to all fours, the champion lands a kick into the ribs of his challenger! Rhodes rolls around, clutching his midsection as he gasps for air. The camera zooms in on Bobby Roode, as we see a sadistic grin grow once again across his face. Roode uses the rope to drag Cody to both knees, as he sits facing Bobby Roode. Roode walks up, slapping Rhodes in the face! Roode starts to scream at his challenger - “WHERE’S YOUR LEGACY NOW?!” Boot to the chin, Rhodes stays on his knees, but the lights may be out! “YOU DON’T BELONG HERE!” Slap again from Roode! Roode taunts to the crowd, not noticing Cody balling up the rope in his hands, seemingly absentmindedly. Roode turns and yells back “DUSTY WOULD BE ASHAME-“ UPPERCUT FROM RHODES! ROODE KNOCKED FOR A LOOP AFTER AN UPPERCUT USING THE BULL ROPE! Roode falls back, and the momentum of the bull rope pulls Cody Rhodes back to his feet! The challenger uses the bull rope to pull Roode in - Another right hand with the rope! Roode falls back, as Cody lets go of the large quantity of rope, and the sudden slack causes Bobby Roode to fall to the outside again! Cody Rhodes gathers his thoughts, looking to the top rope and getting a glimmer in his eye.

“Cody’s gonna go up top! Cody’s gonna do it!” - Percy Watson

“Rhodes must be on autopilot, because there’s no way anybody thinking clearly would do that after the damage he’s already sustained!” - Nigel McGuinness

Cody scratches and claws, doing all that he can to get to the turnbuckle (top right, facing commentary side). Bobby Roode is on the outside leaning against the Spanish announce table as Cody Rhodes ascends the corner! The crowd breaks out into large “CO-DY! CO-DY!” chants as Rhodes makes his way to the top rope. Perhaps caught in the moment, Cody Rhodes looks around at the NXT Universe.

“A movement in this business forged by the blood, sweat, and tears of Dusty Rhodes now showing their full support for the Son of a Son of a Plumber!” - Mauro Ranallo

“Cody is taking way too long -“ - Nigel McGuinness

But before Nigel can finish that sentiment, Roode makes this thought a reality - ROODE YANKS THE BULL ROPE! CODY GOES FLYING THROUGH THE AIR AND CRASHES THROUGH THE SPANISH ANNOUNCE TABLE ALL THE WAY FROM THE TOP ROPE! Both competitors in this match collapse to the ground on the outside, as trainers quickly rush to the bloody heap of destruction once known as Cody Rhodes! Replays of the crash are shown from two different angles, before showing the hardcam replay in slow motion, and the NXT Universe rings out with “MA-MA MI-A!” chants all around. Bobby Roode uses the stairs to get back up, and he goes over to the trainers, whipping the rope around to keep them away from his challenger!

“Bobby Roode is a man possessed. How far is too far for this man?!” - Percy Watson

“Cody Rhodes asked for every bit of this, and now he has to suffer the consequences!” - Nigel McGuinness

Bobby Roode uses the bull rope - And he’s hogtying Rhodes?! Rhodes is all tied up, but how can Roode get him in the ring now?! Bobby talks a second to breathe before dragging the lifeless body of his challenger towards the timekeeper’s area. Bobby Roode making sure Rhodes can’t surprise attack him as he goes and grabs… The NXT Championship?! Roode looks down at his championship gold, what he has gone to war to retain possession of, as he starts to breathe heavier and heavier with anger. Roode stomps on Cody, cowbell ringing frantically from the movement of the rope. The champion drags his challenger to the ring, tossing the NXT Championship into the ring. Roode unties Cody, sending him back into the squared circle, and Roode follows not far behind. Cody tried using the ropes to get up, but Roode stomps down on his back, not letting him gain any form of comeback. Bobby Roode lays the NXT Championship down in the center of the ring, taking a deep breath as he uses the bull rope to pull Cody back towards him. Roode grabs Cody back up - SMALL PACKAGE! RHODES HAS IT HOOKED!

NO!
    Roode pops the shoulder up! Roode turns to his stomach; Cody rolls over him into an Oklahoma Roll!

3?! NO!

The champion barely gets the shoulder up as Rhodes starts to get his second wind! Both men back to their feet - Schoolboy from Rhodes!

CLANG! COWBELL TO THE HEAD FROM ROODE SENDS CODY LIMP!

Cody is down and out on the mat, as Roode lays back, exhausted from the sudden burst of energy from Cody Rhodes.

“Bobby Roode almost had the championship slip away!” - Percy Watson

“Cody Rhodes isn’t competing at this point, Cody is just surviving!” - Nigel McGuinness

“It’s in his DNA, Nigel. Cody Rhodes has been taught his whole life to stand up to those that try to take what doesn’t belong to them, and Cody Rhodes is going to fight for that belief until his body fails him!” - Mauro Ranallo

Roode gets to his knees as his opponent stirs on the mat. Bobby Roode grabs Cody, motioning that the end is here. Roode looks to grab the challenger for the Glorious DDT - Rhodes spins out! Kick to the gut from Rhodes, Cody Rhodes now looking for a DDT - Knee to the ribs from Bobby Roode! Neither man giving an inch! The American Nightmare doubles over in pain, his blood now smeared across both his body and his opponents. Bobby Roode hooks his opponent, looking for a Fisherman Suplex - Cody won’t go! Cody battling to stay planted! Right hand to the ribs of Bobby Roode, who releases the leg. Rhodes now, trying to use his leverage to life Roode - He’s up! And back down, Rhodes drops the champion nearly immediately, not able to lift Bobby Roode up for the suplex as Cody Rhodes clutches his midsection in agony.

“Crashing through the table, being slammed multiple times, Cody Rhodes may have broken ribs and he may be about to find out just why Bobby Roode is the man at the mountaintop!” - Nigel McGuinness

Roode wastes no time - Hoisting the challenger up into a fireman’s carry - Roode Bomb (Fireman’s Carry Neckbreaker) in the center of the ring! Right next to the NXT Championship! That’s gotta be it! Bobby Roode hooks the leg, going for the cover!

CLANG! Rhodes got out using the cowbell!

Just as it helped Roode escape Cody’s pinfalls, Cody has stayed alive using the aid of the cowbell! Both men lay on the mat, down and out after the brutal back and forth, and the camera pans out to show both men lying on their stomachs, the NXT Championship right between each of them.

“Both men, beaten, battered, bruised, and in Cody’s case bloodied, are going to hell and back, that NXT Championship represents all the hard work and determination both men are displaying!” - Mauro Ranallo

Cody and Bobby both look up, making eye contact on either side of the NXT Championship belt. Both men start to grab at their end of the bull rope, struggling to get to the bell in the center. Quickly, as a shot of adrenaline hits both men, they rise to their feet, in a tug of war directly over the NXT Championship! Both men about equal with the rope, Roode reaches for the bell - Right hand from Cody! Roode answers back! Both men drop the bundles of rope, as fists fly! A hockey fight has broken out here! The crowd comes alive, going wild as both man continue trading blows back and forth until Rhodes starts to gain the upper hand! Rhodes backing Roode up into the ropes, as Bobby shoves Cody back; The bull rope becomes taut, and Roode yanks back - SENDING THE ROPE UP INTO THE GROIN OF CODY RHODES! Cody falls forward, and Bobby Roode pulls him in - Glorious DDT! Roode dropping the theatrics, going directly to the impact! Cover, Roode staring at the NXT Championship on the mat as he makes the cover!

3 -
    NO! Cody Rhodes, weakly, BARELY kicks out, but kick out he does!

“WHAT ELSE DOES BOBBY ROODE HAVE TO DO?!” - Nigel McGuinness

“What else CAN be do?!” - Mauro Ranallo

Bobby Roode looks up into the lights, both man lying on their backs, as Bobby Roode covers his face with his hands. Frustration looks to be setting in, Bobby Roode just threw his best shot and it didn’t land! Roode turns to all fours and moves the bull rope out of his way, reaching for the NXT Championship belt. Cody starts to stir as Bobby gets to his feet, gold in hand. Bobby Roode starts pacing, turning the title in hands hands seemingly talking to himself out of disbelief. The champion stops, looking down at his title. He looks in the championship, seeing his reflection and quickly growing from desperation to aggravation. He looks at Cody, who is starting to try and stand. The bull rope is loose, with much of the slack of the rope being bundled up in front of Rhodes. Roode starts to measure, motioning for Cody to stand up, preparing to use the NXT title as a weapon!

“NXT was built into who we are together thanks to a Rhodes, and the champion is looking to use that very image to put The Rhodes Family down for good!” - Mauro Ranallo

Bobby Roode calls for Cody to get to his feet, yelling out to him - “YOU’RE FINISHED! NXT IS MINE, AND YOU DON’T BELONG!” Cody stands up, holding a majority of the ropes in his hand to give him the leverage to even do so on such wobbly legs. Bobby Roode charged in - title to the face - DUCKED! CLANG! COWBELL TO THE BACK OF ROODE’S HEAD!! Bobby Roode stumbles to the ropes, out on his feet! Rhodes, seemingly working entirely on autopilot, yanks the rope and his opponent back in his direction - BIONIC ELBOW! THE POLKA DOT ELBOW PAD PLANTED BETWEEN THE EYES OF THE GLORIOUS ONE! Roode falls to both knees, the crowd is on their feet, as Cody Rhodes muscles his opponent back to both feet. Rhodes turns the champion around, hooking in the head - CROSS RHODES! CENTER OF THE RING! RHODES USES THE BULL ROPE TO HOGTIE THE LEGS OF ROODE AS HE COVERS HIM!

ROODE PHYSICALLY CAN’T KICK OUT THANKS TO THE ROPE!

3!!!

DING!

DING!

DING!

"Here Is Your Winner AND NEW NXT CHAMPION, CODY RHODES!"
    [Match Length: 19:45]

Both men lay exhausted on the mat, as Kingdom blares through the PA system. Drake Wuertz grabs the NXT Championship off the mat, as Cody Rhodes struggles to get to his feet, removing the bull rope from his wrist. Cody stands up, breathing heavily as Drake hands him his new championship, raising the hand of the winner.

“A man who came back to defend his family’s legacy, a man who battled with his all of his heart and pride, has finally ascended to the mountain top! Cody Rhodes said that when a Rhodes hits hard times, they deliver, and I’ll be damned if he didn’t prove it here tonight! We are all out of time here at NXT Takeover: Brooklyn, for Percy Watson and Nigel McGuinness, I am Mauro Ranallo and thank you for spending tonight with us!” - Mauro Ranallo

We get a close up of Cody Rhodes on his knees, staring down at his newly won prize. He looks up, as we see tears falling down his face. Cody looks up to the sky, as he clutches the NXT Championship tight against his chest and we fade out.

Shoulder To Shoulder

Status

LINGUISTIC TURN

Slamboree '94
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia Civic Center

WCW United States Heavyweight Championship
    Texas Death Match
    "The Street Fighter" Kama (c) vs. "The Natural" Dustin Rhodes

Every Champion Was Once A Contender

At Halloween Havoc 1993, a new force arrived in WCW in the form of "The Street Fighter" Kama. A former underground fighter, he sought to rise to the top quickly in WCW. After three months of dominating enhancement to midcarder talents on the roster, he set his eyes on Dustin Rhodes's US Heavyweight Championship. The two would meet for the first time at StarrCade '93 where Dustin Rhodes was able to defeat the hulking fighter and retain his championship belt.

Dustin Rhodes would go on to focusing on defending his championship against his father's old rival, Ric Flair at SuperBrawl IV. Many thought Ric Flair would be a sure-fire winner against the young Rhodes, but this night Dustin was running on all cylinders and was able to defeat Ric Flair to retain the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship.

Shattered Dreams

In the following episode of WCW Saturday Night, Dustin successfully defeated Diamond Dallas Page. Afterwards, Dusty Rhodes came to the ring and told Dustin how proud he was to be his father. He apologized for not always being there and not always being the best father, but he loved his son. It was a tearful moment with the father and son embracing in the ring, but then this scene of family bonding turned into tragedy. Kama came to the ring and attacked the Rhodes. Having just been in a match, Dustin Rhodes wasn't able to protect his father for long from the brute, and with Dustin laid out, Kama set his eyes on The Dream and choked him out with a steel chain that he always wore over his shoulders when made his entrances.

When Dustin Rhodes recovered, he saw his father laid out in the middle of the ring and called for the medical crew to come down to the ring. It was later reported that Dusty Rhodes was diagnosed with a fractured larynx and Dustin Rhodes was out for blood to avenge his father. Kama said in an interview that it was nothing personal between him and the Rhodes family, but all it was about for him was getting another shot at the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship. For Dustin however, it clearly became personal, and he was ready to take out the cold-hearted Kama. He said that many men have tried to make a name off the legacy of Dusty Rhodes, but they have all failed. This time Dusty can't be here to defend himself, but his living legacy can and will.

Dustin gave Kama the rematch for the title in March, but in the rematch, Dustin was blinded by his rage and Kama took full advantage of it. Every mistake Dustin made was an opportunity for Kama to pounce like a lion. Dustin ended up being the one who needed to fight back, but there were too many mistakes that allowed the much stronger Kama to defeat Dustin and claim the WCW United States Heavyweight Champion!

Kama, however, wasn't finished with Dustin. After the match ended and Kama has rewarded the belt, Kama made his way up the ramp as the official checked on Dustin, but Kama ran back to the ring and assaulted the referee before pulling Dustin out of the ring. Kama then picked up Dustin and slammed his back into the steel ring post repeatedly until WCW officials were able to pull Kama away from Dustin.

Now not only had Kama injured Dusty Rhodes, but he also put Dustin Rhodes on the shelf as well and Kama was fined by WCW. When asked in an interview why he did this horrendous act, Kama said he is here to make friends, he is here to be the champion, and he knew Dustin would do anything to make him lose the title after what he did to Dusty, so it was merely an insurance policy. He then coldly stated that Dusty Rhodes and Dustin Rhodes should be thankful as this is likely the most time they've spent together for years.

One More Round

Kama reigned as US Champion for two months, crushing every challenger that came in his wake. It was nearing May and a tournament was taking place to determine the #1 Contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. The finals of the tournament came down to Sting and Kama. Sting proved to be the most difficult opponent for Kama since he faced Dustin Rhodes and he had difficulty figuring out a way to take out the agile opponent. Finally, Kama resorted to an underhanded tactic. As Sting came off the top rope, Kama pulled the referee in the way, taking out the referee. Then Kama knocked down Sting with a right hook before heading to get his steel chain, but as he aimed up to strike Sting, Dustin Rhodes had ran to the ring and grabbed the chain out of Kama's hands before landing a punch dead center of Kama's face. Kama reeled back from the hit and stumbled right into a Scorpion Death Drop before getting pinned by the Stinger. Luckily for Kama, security pulled Dustin out from ringside before he could take the opportunity to deliver more punishment on Kama.

It was now two weeks away from Slamboree and WCW officials knew they needed to settle this matter once and for all. They announced that Kama would defend the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship against Dustin Rhodes in a Texas Death Match. WCW officials also made a ruling for the safety of the locker room that if either Kama or Dustin Rhodes laid hands on each other before Slamboree, they would both me indefinitely suspended from the company. It was then announced that there would be a contract signing between the two men, hosted by Tony Schiavone, where both men would be able to explain their actions and motivations over the past 6 months.

The Calm Before The Storm

We enter an office setting where we are zoomed in on Tony Schiavone sitting at a table.

Tony Schiavone: Hello everybody, this is Tony Schiavone here, and beside me are two competitors who quite frankly...despise one another. To my right, we have the WCW United States Heavyweight Champion Kama.

The camera flips over to Kama sitting at the table wearing a black and white striped suit with his championship sitting in front of him on the table. He smirks in Tony's direction.

Tony Schiavone: And to my left, the man who will challenge Kama for the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship at Slamboree, Dustin Rhodes.

The camera pans over to Dustin who is wearing a denim jacket, seemingly staring a hole into Kama across the table. The camera then zooms out to show Kama and Dustin Rhodes sitting across from each other with Tony sitting between the two men, and what appears to be a contract on the table.

Tony Schiavone: Now gentlemen, you two are set to face off tomorrow night at Slamboree, live on Pay-Per-View at eight o'clock Eastern Standard Time, in a Texas Death Match. The two of you have been at war with one another for the past six months and it all comes to a head tomorrow night. While I'm sure our viewers watching at home know everything that has trespassed between you two, I would like to you too personally about the animosity and hatred that...

Kama (cutting off Schiavone): Animosity? Hatred?

Tony Schiavone nods his head while Dustin looks intently at Kama.

Kama: When I am to this company I had no hatred for this man, for his father, or for any man in this company. I made my intentions very clear since the day I've started here. I came here for one purpose and that purpose alone. I came here to become champion. I didn't care who I had to beat or what I had to do and this right here is my prize my determination.

Kama places his hand on top of his US Heavyweight Championship as if showing as proof for his efforts. The camera looks over to the face of Dustin Rhodes, who hasn't seemed to move an inch, still staring straight into Kama.

Tony Schiavone: Well a question that you answered before, but not to the satisfaction of really anyone, but yourself. Why did you attack Dusty Rhodes? Why did you have to bring Dustin's father into this? Isn't that a sign of some sort of hatred or a lack of remorse?

Kama shakes his head as though Tony Schiavone is the biggest moron in the world for asking such a question.

Kama: As I've said before, my intentions were to become champion. After losing to Dustin one time, I knew that I would have to get his attention in a way that would force him to defend against me. I knew his victory that first time at StarrCade was a fluke, I knew this man was weak, that no matter what he does, his mind, his soul, is always under the pressure of being the son of Dusty Rhodes. I knew that he feared entering the ring with me again because he knew he would fail. So I did what I had to do to force him to enter the ring with me again. Do I hate Dusty Rhodes? No, but you are correct in saying I have a lack of remorse. I have zero remorse for any man, past, present, or future, who dares to step into that ring. As soon as you enter that ring, you're in my world, and there is no law in Kama's world. You do whatever it takes to win in my world, you do whatever it takes to make it to the top, you do whatever it takes to prove you are the best!

Kama slams his fist down on the table, making Tony Schiavone jump back, but Dustin proves to be shockingly unshakable despite everything he's been through with Kama.

Kama: But I see and feel this man's hatred. This man who last time we wrestled, I decimated him in the center of that ring and after the match, I robbed him of all of his dignity. I still had no hatred for you at that moment Dustin. It was merely an insurance policy because I knew that you wouldn't be able to keep yourself out of my business after I embarrassed you in front of all your fans, in front of your father watch back at the hospital, and all of the boys in the back.

Kama shakes his head.

Kama: But I should have finished the job. I should have taken you out permanently and ended your career because as soon as you were physically able to, you came and cost me the biggest opportunity of my career by costing my chance at taking on the World Heavyweight Champion. That was my mistake and I fully accept it, but I don't intend on making that mistake again. So tomorrow night you better be prepared because I'm going to end your career tomorrow night in the Texas Death Match.

Kama leans back in his chair, now staring straight back at Dustin Rhodes.

Tony Schiavone: So Dus-

Dustin Rhodes: Is that it?

Tony and Kama look at Dustin inquisitively as he finally speaks up for the first time.

Dustin Rhodes: Your big threat against me is that you're going to end my career? You better have a lot more nerve than that heading into tomorrow's match. No matter how many times you can knock me down, I will be getting back up, no matter how my punishment you put me through, I will get back up. You will not be able to keep me down because as long as I am breathing, I will ensure that I take everything away from you tomorrow night live on Pay-Per-View for the whole world to witness!

Kama:
    Is that so?

Dustin Rhodes: You better believe it, brother! Ever since you've arrived here in World Championship Wrestling, you've been hounding me, chasing me, you wanted to be champion. Well now you are, congratulations, but in the process, you also signed, dated, and booked your own judgment day!

Dustin's calm and cool facials have completely faded.

Dustin Rhodes: You attacked my father, The American Dream, took him out of commission, at that moment you attacked my heart. But at Clash of the Champions when I couldn't overcome you, much more than breaking my back, you broke my soul because I couldn't defend my father's honor. For the last two months, I've been reaching deep down inside my soul, watching you as you continued to rise to the top, knowing that you are a disgrace to everything the sport of professional wrestling stands for, everything my father stands for, everything that I stand for. I knew it had to be me to take you down for good!

Dustin stands up and stares down at Kama.

Dustin Rhodes: And it takes everything in my being not to take you out here tonight, but that's not how I want this to go, I don't want to stoop down to your level. I want to beat you man to man and take that WCW United States Heavyweight Championship back to the dignity, the honor, and the sportsmanship where it belongs. So tomorrow night I will give you everything I have. I will give everything in my very being to ensure that you can no longer run around being a disgrace of a champion!

Dustin Rhodes grabs his pen and signs his name on the contract.

Dustin Rhodes: Tomorrow night, in the Texas Death Match, it is all on the line and I am going to ensure that you will feel the full retribution of a Rhodes!

Dustin Rhodes shoves the contract in Kama's direction. Kama looks down at the contract and then looks up at Dustin.

Kama: You've got a lot of heart kid ... but tomorrow you're going to be in my element and I'm fully prepared to do anything I need to do to retain MY US Heavyweight Championship.

Kama writes down his name on the paper and gets up to leave. Dustin remarks as Kama turns to leave...

Dustin Rhodes: I'll see you there!

Tony Schiavone takes the contract with a nervous look on his face, feeling the tension in the air.

Tony Schiavone: Well ladies and gentlemen, it is official, tomorrow night at Slamboree, live on Pay-Per-View, the WCW United States Heavyweight Champion Kama will be taking on "The Natural" Dustin Rhodes in a Texas Death Match. You won't want to miss this!

The Match

We return to the Philadelphia Civic Center for our next match.

Gary Michael Cappetta:
    Ladies and gentlemen, it's time for the Texas Death Match and it is for the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship! There will be no disqualifications, falls will count anywhere, and the match continues until one man can not reach their feet by the count of ten after a fall!

"Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits (Instrumental)

Gary Michael Cappetta: First, the challenger, from Austin, Texas, weighting two hundred and sixty-one pounds, he is "The Natural" Dustin Rhodes!

Dustin Rhodes exits from behind the curtain, heading down to the ring, wearing yellow trucks and no jacket tonight as he is ready to get down to business. Pyro shoots off behind Dustin as he walks down to the ring with a determined look on his face. He climbs through the ropes of the ring that is connected to the ramp as his opponent begins to make his entrance.

"The Zoo" by Scorpions (Instrumental)

Gary Michael Cappetta: And his opponent, from Las Vegas, Nevada, weighting three hundred and twenty pounds, he is the WCW United States Heavyweight Champion, "The Street Fighter" Kama!

Kama marches his way down to the ring, with his championship belt over one shoulder and his signature steel chain over his other shoulder. He stares with his cold eyes, darting right through Dustin Rhodes, as he makes his way to the ring, but before he can enter...

WCW United States Heavyweight Championship
    Texas Death Match
    "The Street Fighter" Kama (c) vs. "The Natural" Dustin Rhodes

Kama's eyes widen as Dustin Rhodes catapults himself using the top rope with a flying crossbody onto Kama! The crowd quickly comes alive for the flying manuever. Nick Patrick calls for the bell to start the match and Dustin gets up on his knees and grabs the head of Kama, delivering shots to the head of The Street Fighter.

Kama tries to protect himself, putting up his arms to cover his face, as Dustin continues raining down blows. Kama eventually can kick Dustin away with a boot to the chest and begins to make his way back up to his feet, but Dustin comes back with a haymaker, sending Kama back down!

Dustin crawls over to Kama and keeps up his early advantage pulling up Kama to his feet. He carries him to the ring, but Kama throws Dustin off into the ropes, only for Dustin to rebound off and catch Kama with a swinging neckbreaker onto the ramp!

Dustin gets back up to his feet, holding his back in pain from the impact of hitting the ramp. It isn't enough to stop his momentum, however, as he climbs back on top of Kama and starts raining down strikes again to weaken his opponent. Dustin then lifts the dazed Kama to his feet and runs to the ring, throwing Kama over the top rope and into the ring.

Dustin then climbs into the ring as Kama tries to pull himself up by the ropes. Dustin spins Kama around and nails him with a right hook, sending Kama stumbling into the corner. Dustin then kicks Kama in the gut and grabs his head, twirling his finger in the air, and runs to the center of the ring!

CORNER BULLDOG!

NO!

Kama shoves Dustin into the opposite corner causing Dustin to bounce off the top turnbuckle chest first! Dustin stumbles backwards and is caught by Kama who puts his head over Dustin's arm and goes for the belly-to-back suplex, but Dustin flips back and lands on his feet!

Kama spins around and goes for a lariat, but Dustin ducks under, shoots for the ropes, Kama ducks down, but Dustin rolls over Kama's back, catches his head, and connects with a sitout rear mat slam! Dustin grabs the leg and makes the cover!

1!

2!!

3!!!

Bell rings!

Tony Schiavone: WOW! And somehow that was enough to put Kama away!

Jesse Ventura:
    Yeah, I don't think so Schiavone, I think Kama is playing it smart. Don't forget, he now has ten seconds to get up to his feet!

Gary Michael Cappetta:
    Dustin Rhodes gets a pinfall! Kama has ten seconds to get to his feet!

ONE!

Dustin Rhodes pulls himself up, he himself surprised about scoring such an early pinfall, looking down at Kama, and walking around the ring.

TWO!

THREE!

FOUR!

FIVE!

Kama rolls over onto his knees and gets up to his feet.

Gary Michael Cappetta:
    Ladies and gentlemen, the match continues!

Dustin Rhodes comes at Kama and the two lock up in the corner. Dustin presses Kama against the ropes and applies a waist lock. Dustin tries to lift up Kama, but Kama hooks his foot on the bottom rope. Kama then shoves back Dustin. Dustin charges back towards Kama, but Kama pulls over the top rope, sending Dustin to the concrete floor.

Dustin lands on the back of his head and he instantly reacts, grabbing at the place of impact. Kama looks down at Dustin, now looking confident, before exiting the ring to follow up on Dustin.

Dustin rolls to the side of the ramp, holding his head, and the larger opponent towers over the young Rhodes. Kama grabs the top of the ramp and starts hammering his knee into Dustin's face with vicious intent, causing the back of Dustin's skull to bounce off the ramp three times.

Kama steps back, measuring up Dustin, before charging back towards Dustin for a devastating knee! BUT DUSTIN CATCHES KAMA WITH A DROP TOE HOLD ... FACE FIRST INTO THE SIDE OF THE RAMP!

Kama stumbles back holding his head as the raucous crowd cheers on Dustin for his strong showing so far tonight, as Dustin gets back up and follows the stumbling Kama. Dustin spins Kama around and connects with a strong forearm, causing Kama to fall against the guard rail.

Dustin follows up with another forearm shot, another, and another before letting out an adrenaline yell to a loud pop from the crowd and connecting with one more big forearm!

Dustin drags Kama out from the guard rail and goes for a cover on the floor.

1!

2!!

Kama gets up his shoulder, not looking to try a repeat of his last strategy. Dustin just looks with a smirk on his face, knowing he has the opportunity to inflict more damage to his opponent and lifts him back up to his feet before rolling him back into the ring.

Dustin slides into the ring and runs off the ropes, coming off and connecting with a jumping knee drop to the head of Kama!

Dustin doesn't seem to think that'll be enough to put away his opponent, however, as he pulls up Kama to his feet and whips Kama into the ropes. Kama comes back and Dustin catches him with an arm drag but keeps it locked in to apply a sitting hammerlock to Kama. Dustin sinches it in on Kama, making Kama grit his teeth.

Dustin keeps twisting the wrist of Kama, but the larger opponent begins to pull himself up to his feet, using his strength to overcome Dustin's ability to keep him down. Dustin, however, keeps the hammerlock tightly locked in.

Kama swings with an elbow with his free arm, trying to catch Dustin, but Dustin ducks out of the way. Kama then, in desperation pulls himself towards the ropes along with Dustin and grabs the top rope ...

BEFORE SWINGING HIS LEG UP BETWEEN THE LEGS OF DUSTIN RHODES AND CONNECTING WITH A LOW BLOW!

Tony Schiavone: That's not right!

Jesse Ventura: But it is all legal Schiavone and that's all that matters.

Dustin instantly collapses down to the mat holding the golden jewels and Kama shakes off the cobwebs from his arm as the crowd boos Kama for using the underhanded tactic to escape the hold. Kama then turns his attention towards Dustin Rhodes and covers his incapacitated opponent.

1!

2!!

3!!!

Bell rings!

Dustin falls onto the floor!

Gary Michael Cappetta:
    Kama gets a pinfall! Dustin Rhodes has until the count of ten to get to his feet!

Kama nonchalantly pulls himself off of Rhodes as the referee begins the ten count.

ONE!

TWO!

THREE!

FOUR!

FIVE!

SIX!

Dustin Rhodes rolls onto his stomach while Kama stalks him from behind.

SEVEN!

Dustin gets to his knees.

EIGHT!

And Dustin struggles up to his feet! But while Gary Michael Cappetta announces that the match continues, Kama comes running up behind Dustin with a stiff elbow to the back of the skull, connecting, and sending Dustin tumbling out onto the ramp between the top and middle ropes.

The crowd continues to heckle Kama for his underhanded tactics, but the pragmatic fighter takes no account of their reaction, simply exiting the ring after his opponent.

Dustin crawls on all fours up the ramp, obviously knocked senseless by the cheap shot to the back of the head. Kama comes looming over him yelling "This is my world boy!" before kicking Dustin in the ribs.

Dustin rolls further up the ramp in pain and Kama notices his steel chain is still laying on the ramp. He then looks at and nods before reaching down for it.

Tony Schiavone:
    Oh! Dustin Rhodes is in trouble here!

Jesse Ventura: Kama certainly doesn't plan on making jewelry out of that chain.

He certainly doesn't Jesse, as Kama walks over to the downed Rhodes before raising the chain up in the air ... AND WHIPS IT OFF THE BACK OF DUSTIN RHODES!

Dustin arches back and yells in pain while Kama rears up and connects with another sickening whip of the chain across the back of Dustin Rhodes!

Dustin Rhodes yells in pain before gritting his teeth tightly, rolling onto his back, but Kama simply sees this as another opening, lifting the chain back up and delivering a third whip of the chain this time across the sternum of The Natural!

Dustin curls up in a fetal position, holding onto his chest, but Kama forces him onto his back and hooks the leg for the cover.

1!

2!!

NO DUSTIN RHODES ROLLS HIS SHOULDER UP!

The Grandson of a Plumber is not willing to reward Kama with a pinfall here despite the pain he is in. Kama simply says "You asked for this." before grabbing his chain and wrapping it around his hand. He then grabs the head of Dustin Rhodes and begins delivering sickening blows with the chain across the unprotected forehead of Dustin Rhodes!

The crowd is booing the hell out of and women are screaming in terror at the vicious assault from Kama while Tony Schiavone yells on commentary "The total lack of care and sportsmanship from Kama is completely disgusting!"

Kama continues to pound away at the head of Rhodes and then finally relents as Dustin's head turns sideways...

AND DUSTIN RHODES IS BUSTED OPEN!

Kama grabs Dustin by the hair and shows the crowd the blood pouring down his face, as if taking pride in his work, before covering Dustin.

1!

2!!

3!!!

Bell rings!

Gary Michael Cappetta (with a hint of disgust in his voice): Kama gets a pinfall... Dustin Rhodes has ten seconds to get to his feet!

Kama gets up to his feet while the referee administers the count, knowing that he has taken out Dustin Rhodes.

ONE!

TWO!

THREE!

Kama walks around the ramp waiting for the count.

FOUR!

FIVE!

SIX!

SEVEN!

DUSTIN RHODES SHOWS SIGNS OF LIFE! HE ROLLS TO THE EDGE OF THE RAMP!

EIGHT!

In a rare sign of emotion, Kama looks in shock at the resilience of Dustin Rhodes.

NINE!

DUSTIN CLIMBS OFF THE RAMP AND ONTO HIS FEET TO THE CONCRETE FLOOR NEXT TO THE ENTRANCE AISLE GUARD RAIL!

Gary Michael Cappetta: Ladies and gentlemen, the match continues!

Huge reaction from the crowd for the match continuing and even more so for the fight shown from The Natural!

Kama looks in disbelief, then disbelief turns into anger, he marches down towards Dustin, unraveling the chain around his fist, and steps off of the ramp onto the concrete floor.

Dustin fires off with a wild shot, but misses, whether due to being blinded by the massive blood loss pouring down his face or due to being concussed. Either way, Kama swiftly wraps the chain around the face of Dustin and pulls it tight, trying to crush Dustin's skull!

Dustin stumbles around, trying to fight his way out of the chain, but Kama kicks him in the back of the leg, taking him down to the floor. Kama presses his foot against Dustin's back and pulls tightly with all of his strength, with Dustin yelling in agony with blood pouring down his face, trying to somehow get the chain off of his head.

The strength in Dustin's arms begin to fade and his posture begins to slump. Kama releases the chain, allowing Dustin's body to collapse to the floor. Kama then calls over the referee to administer the pinfall.

1!

2!!

3!!!

Bell rings!

Gary Michael Cappetta: Kama gets a pinfall! Dustin Rhodes has ten seconds to get to his feet!

ONE!

Kama climbs back up to his feet, staring down at his opponent.

TWO!

THREE!

FOUR!

FIVE!

SIX!

Dustin begins to crawl on the floor.

SEVEN!

Kama breaks up the count, snatching up Dustin due to him still showing signs of life, and throws him against the side of the ramp!

Kama then pulls up Dustin to his feet and delivers a scoop slam onto the concrete floor!

Kama once again goes for the cover.

1!

2!

DUSTIN RHODES GETS HIS SHOULDER UP!

Dustin Rhodes continues to show his will to survive tonight while Kama has a look on his face as if asking "Are you stupid?".

Kama grabs Dustin by the hair, shaking his head in disbelief as he pulls up Dustin to his feet. He rolls Dustin up onto the ramp and then reaches down for his steel chain. He then climbs up onto the ramp eyeing up the challenger.

Kama aims up for the shot and whips the steel chain at Dustin Rhodes, BUT DUSTIN CATCHES THE CHAIN, PULLS IN KAMA, AND CONNECTS WITH AN UPPERCUT TO THE JAW!

Kama stumbles backwards towards the ring while Dustin tries to pull himself back up, but Kama is right back up on top of him! He grabs Dustin by the waist and pulls him up, but Dustin connects with an elbow to the temple to escape his grasps!

Kama stumbles back again holding the side of his head and Dustin charges at his opponent, firing away with a strike to the face, a second strike, and a third strike! Dustin then grabs the head of Kama, looking for the Bionic Elbow! KAMA KNEES DUSTIN DEEP IN THE GUT!

Dustin doubles over, having his comeback cut off, and Kama grabs the bloody head of Dustin Rhodes and lifts him, throwing him backwards with a fall away slam! Dustin rolls back towards the ring while Kama picks up his chain again and wraps it around his arm. He then charges at Dustin Rhodes and connects with a big clothesline with the chain wrapped arm, over the top rope and into the ring.

Kama lets the chain drop down onto the apron and climbs into the ring. He runs at the fallen Dustin who has rolled to the center of the ring and delivers a splash to his downed opponent!

Dustin rolls around, clutching his midsection, spreading his blood all over the ring, and Kama gets back up lifting him up and whipping him into the corner. Kama rushes the cornered Dustin Rhodes and delivers a body avalanche!

Dustin slumps down in the corner after getting squashed by the 320 pounder. Kama then starts stomping a mudhole into Dustin's chest in the corner. Kama then pulls Dustin out of the corner, steps over him, and climbs up onto the middle rope. Kama jumps off and delivers a splash to the prone Dustin and covers for the pin.

1!

2!!

Dustin gets his shoulder up again!

Kama looks irritated down at Dustin Rhodes, not even taking a pinfall to allow the count at this point, and it is pissing him off to see the classic Rhodes resilience.

He signals that this is the end and lifts Dustin Rhodes to his feet. He then hoists Dustin up onto his shoulders ...

DEATH VALLEY DRIVER!

Slamming Dustin Rhodes down hard into the mat! Hitting his devastating finisher, Kama goes for the cover, knowing this will put Dustin away.

1!

2!!

3!!!

Bell rings!

Gary Michael Cappetta: Kama gets a pinfall! Dustin Rhodes has until the count of ten to get to his feet!

ONE!

Kama gets up on his knees looking down at Dustin.

TWO!

THREE!

FOUR!

FIVE!

SIX!

Dustin Rhodes starts to show signs of life.

SEVEN!

Dustin Rhodes rolls onto all fours and Kama shakes his head in disgust.
    EIGHT!

Dustin gets up on his knees and Kama shakes his head saying "No!".

Dustin gets up on his feet but is having a hard time stabilizing himself due to the blood loss and damage his body has taken tonight.
    NINE!

Dustin Rhodes stablizes himself and the referee notifies Cappetta.

Gary Michael Cappetta: The match continues!

Kama comes right after Dustin, determined to put this match to an end, and starts throwing clubbing blows down on Dustin, backing him up into the ropes. Kama then shoots Dustin off the ropes and catches him on the rebound with an inverted atomic drop!

Dustin drops down onto his knees and Kama runs off the ropes! BUT GETS CAUGHT WITH A SNAP SCOOP POWERSLAM!

Dustin and Kama roll away in opposite directions, with Kama holding his lower back in pain, and Dustin trying to shake the cobwebs out his head. Both men get back up to their feet and run at each other, Kama going for a clothesline! Ducked by Dustin! Dustin comes off the ropes back at Kama! Kama spins around! A beautiful dropkick from Dustin Rhodes connects!

The fans on their feet, clamoring for Dustin, as he rolls to the ropes next to the ramp. Dustin notices the steel chain on the apron. His mouth open and an expression of thought spreads across his face, he then looks at Kama, and then back at the chain! Dustin grabs Kama's steel chain and gets up to his feet.

Dustin walks over to Kama, who is pulling himself up in the corner, but Kama spots Dustin and the chain, and in a rare show cowardliness, "The Street Fighter" puts up a hand and shakes his head. Dustin shouts at Kama, before biting his tongue, and swinging hard with the steel chain across the shoulders of Kama!

Kama's face looks like he just got thrown into freezing cold water, as shock and pain wrecks this his body. Dustin lifts up the chain again and strikes with another chain shot!

Kama tries crawling away, but Dustin is right on top of him and swings with chain shot to the back!

Kama crawls into the corner, trying to find some sort of escape from the incensed Dustin Rhodes, who follows him to the corner while wrapping the steel chain around his fist. Kama pulls himself using the ropes and puts up his arms as Dustin NAILS him with a steel chain wrapped fist!

Dustin climbs up onto the middle turnbuckle and starts raining down punches on Kama, but Kama can get his arms to slightly protect himself from the heavy hits. Powering through, Kama can grab Dustin by the legs, lift him, and drop him face-first into the turnbuckle!

Dustin drops the chain to the outside as he makes an impact with the turnbuckle and Kama blunders his way to the middle of the ring, checking his head for blood, with a slight cut above his ear. Kama spins around and charges at Dustin in the corner, looking for another body avalanche, but Dustin is able raise up and connect with a boot to Kama's face!

Kama shakes off the cobwebs and turns his attention to Dustin, who, as quick as a cat, climbed up to the top turnbuckle and flies off with a TWIRLING FLYING CROSSBODY!

NO!

KAMA CATCHES DUSTIN AND HOISTS HIM ON HIS SHOULDERS!

DEATH VALLEY DRIVER!

NO!

DUSTIN COUNTERS WITH A DDT!

Dustin Rhodes crawls over to Kama, throwing his arm over him for the pin.

1!

2!!

NO! KAMA GETS HIS SHOULDER UP!

Dustin rolls off of Kama and takes a moment to compose himself before looking down at Kama and then heading to the corner.

Dustin looks to go high once more, climbing up to the top turnbuckle, steadying himself at the top, and coming off with an elbow drop from the top!

BUT KAMA ROLLS OUT OF THE WAY!

AND DUSTIN HITS THE MAT!

Kama pulls himself off the mat and charges at Dustin, leaps off his feet, and connects with a jumping knee drop across the back of Dustin's head!

Kama rolls over Dustin for the cover.

1!

2!!

Dustin shoots his shoulder up off the mat!

This match has become about fighting spirit and these two men are not willing to give up a fall. Kama rolls off of Dustin, breathing heavily, looking down at his opponent who has definitely been through much more punishment tonight yet continues to fight.

Kama snatches Dustin by the head and picks him up to his feet. He then lifts up Dustin onto his shoulders, possibly going for an Inverted Shoulder Breaker, but Dustin slides off behind Kama and pushes him towards the ropes with both men falling over the top!

Kama lands onto the apron while Dustin ends up taking the worse of the fall, landing back-first onto the concrete floor!

Kama looks down at Dustin Rhodes writhing in pain on the floor and see the chance to finally put his opponent away.

Kama jumps down and slowly pulls Dustin back up, but DUSTIN FIRES OFF WITH A PUNCH! ANOTHER! AND ANOTHER! AND THIS TIME CONNECTS WITH THE BIONIC ELBOW!

Kama falls back against the apron, looking dazed, as Dustin stumbles towards the bigger man and lifts him up onto the apron. Dustin then climbs up onto the apron as well.

Dustin Rhodes pulls up Kama by the head and looks around the Philadelphia Civic Center. He puts Kama's head under his arm and runs across the apron and dives off!

RUNNING BULLDOG!

OFF THE APRON!

AND ONTO THE CONCRETE FLOOR!

Tony Schiavone: Oh my god! Unbelievable!

Dustin falls over, holding his tail bone in pain, while Kama is out cold! The crowd is going ape shit and it edges Dustin on to roll over the large Kama and cover him!

1!

2!!

3!!!

Bell rings!

Gary Michael Cappetta: Dustin Rhodes gets a pinfall! Kama has ten seconds to get to his feet!

ONE!

TWO!

THREE!

FOUR!

Dustin Rhodes crawls up to his feet, still holding his tail bone.

FIVE!

SIX!

SEVEN!

EIGHT!

Kama rolls over holding his head.

NINE!

Kama tries to hurry and pull himself up using the ring apron but collapses back down to the floor.
    TEN!

Bell rings!

Gary Michael Cappetta:
    The winner of this match! And the NEW WCW United States Heavyweight Champion, "The Natural" Dustin Rhodes!

Bruised, bloodied, and with perhaps a broken tail bone, Dustin Rhodes rolls into the ring and climbs up to his feet. He accepts the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship from Nick Patrick, looking down at the gold, and raises it up in the air as his arm is raised in victory! The crowd gives Dustin a standing ovation and a "Dustin!" chant echos through the civil center.

Tony Schiavone: What amazing heart! What amazing determination! In quite possibly the most violent brawl in the history of our sport, Dustin Rhodes has overcome, Dustin Rhodes is once again WCW United States Heavyweight Champion!

We get our last shot of Dustin Rhodes, walking around slowly, obviously aching after that devasting contest, with blood-stained hair, but proud to once and for all vanquish Kama.

Shoulder To Shoulder

Status

I wonder who's going through to the final~!?

Wolf Beasts Scores

TY2J

Formatting/presentation

Your presentation has been excellent throughout. You took it another step here, on top of the colour coding being perfect, and switching up the prior massive letters you had for someone talking, I’m almost unable to pick at anything, but there was a point in the promo where you didn’t bold the action when Booby booted Cody and the brawl between them was written in the same style as the dialogue that preceded it. I didn’t care for that, but that is such a minor negative imo.9.5/10

Creativity

This is where I might end up seeming harsh. I would’ve loved to seen entries from the 80’s and 90’s sections mostly, as I thought there would be much more scope to get creative with entries from those categories, and this felt a little safe in comparison. I still liked what you did here though, with Cody returning to the company, but revitalizing himself down in NXT to get the stench off from the Stardust gimmick. Him coming back and defending the legacy in NXT his father created is a fine idea.

You also get credit for incorporating the pre-show into the build up too, and going between the backstory and the promo. Something we haven’t seen attempted in this tournament, and I love that you’ve taken chances like that in every single round by thinking outside of the box. Again, the risk paid off, as it scores highly from me. You executed that beautifully.

Into the match itself, there was maybe a little bit too much over reliance on the cowbell, but I fully expected the rope to be used throughout the match for obvious reasons. Even though it wasn’t a big spot or anything, I loved the spot of Roode throwing the cover of the announce table at Cody’s head too, btw. I’ll go into more detail on it in the next category, but the hog tying was a big miss for me, and one of the few mis-steps you took with this entry. 8/10

Storytelling/emotional investment

I didn’t love the Bobby Roode portion of the promo, if I’m honest. I struggled to really invest myself in it, but you more than made up with that when you introduced Cody. I thought you nailed his reasoning for coming back, and he came across as a big time babyface player, imo. It felt a little rushed to get to the Bullrope match at Brooklyn already, and for me, that feels like the match you could come back with to sell a future rematch, while just having them go at it in a singles match here. Admittedly, I concede that we asked for the blow off match, so your hands were tied in this aspect, but I still didn’t quite feel you’d earned the Bullrope match at this point.

Outside of my own issues at envisioning certain things happening with the rope, I was right there for the entire match. It was executed fantastically imo, and had a real old school feeling to it, to go along with the Bullrope stipulation. The hog tying by Roode didn’t play any real part in what he was doing, and had no consequences though, so I think it was merely there so you could call back to it for the finish. As I’ll get to later, I think that idea could’ve been cut as it ended up feeling superfluous. The only other minus I took away from the body of the match was Roode not going for a cover right after nailing Cody with the bell following that spurt of near falls for Rhodes.

Unfortunately … the finish left me with a bad taste in the mouth. I got visions of Cena tying up Batista to win their Last Man Standing match way back when. And that’s not a good thing. It felt unnecessary too, if I’m honest. Cow Bell shot, Bionic Elbow AND the Cross Rhodes was enough for Cody not to need to tie up the legs. This, to me, was just a little too cute in the end, and it didn’t need to be, and soured me on the end of the match.7/10

Description/detail

This is hard to fault too. You got the basics nailed down, a
    nd the little touches, such as plugging the Network when going into the promowere the cherry on top. The portrayal of Cody especially in the promo was spot on, imo. From that first dry delivery, to him making little call backs to his father, you knocked it out of the park.

Loved the description of the ring gear for Cody too, along with the big band for Roode’s entrance, really painting a picture for me of the mood and the setting. Excellent stuff, as was the addition of blood, AND the referee stepping in to treat it. Something I hate to see in real life, but something that DOES happen in the modern WWE environment, with the reaction of the fans being naturally to boo and chant to let them fight. My only issue/confusion surrounding that was it wasn’t made clear whether Drake managed to clear up the cut, or Cody went into business for himself by defying the requirement for treatment.

Another huge positive was the sprinkling of commentary throughout the match too – inparticular the Greco Roman thumb to the eye line by Nigel. The only other nitpick from me concerned two instances where I found it hard to envisage things happening because of the rope. First, was the second time Roode fell out of the ring, it read like he went THROUGH the ropes again, which would’ve made it impossible – in my minds eye – for Cody to then go up top to dive to the floor (or, as it happened, get yanked off the top) if the rope was still attached, as it would then be through the ropes and not over them. The other was Roode being able to hog tie Cody with the rope too, as it didn’t seem like there was THAT much slack from what we’d been led to believe earlier in the match. 8.5/10

Total
    score: 33/40
    You’ve improved with every round thus far. You had the best idea for the first round, but the execution was poor, and you had the best entry of the second round overall, even if it wasn’t something that appealed to me, personally. This entry put together the best of both, and as a result, you’ve nailed it (aside from one thing in the finish of the match). Best entry I’ve read in the entire tournament to this point, the highest marks I’ve dished out, I think – and I’m delighted to say it. It’s at this stage that I’m looking for people to take it to the next level, and from my vantage point, you did just that. Even if we’d received all four entries this round; I don’t think your place in the final would’ve been under threat.

LINGUISTICTURN

Formatting/presentation

It’s an improvement over the last round, which I felt covered almost all the colours of the rainbow. Still, there’s a noticeable gap in this department between you and Ty. Unfortunately, at this stage of the tournament, and with only two entries submitted, it’s very hard not to compare between the two, and honestly, there’s a big difference between both entries in terms of the presentation.

This was fine, but I think you probably went a little TOO far the other way by stripping this down to a fairly bland looking entry that didn’t grab me. There needed to be better differentiation during the match for when the commentators were speaking, rather than merely bolding the names of who was speaking. Room for improvement for sure. On top of that, there’s still some sloppy mistakes in the grammar department (Kama saying he IS here to make friends, and the second sentence he uttered in the promo; “When I am to this company”) being hard to overlook. 7/10

Creativity

Bringing the Kama gimmick over as a WCW gimmick rather than ever being in the WWF is a fun idea, tbh. Given the product WCW had at the time, it actually – to me – fits with what they had going on, and given the size of Kama, he feels like a logical pick up for WCW too to insert into the U.S Title scene. Another positive is not just completely copying the gimmick the WWF would later do, but to call him the “Street Fighter” as opposed to the “Supreme Fighting Machine”.

Going the route of attacking Dusty to get heat is a good idea, but feels like grabbing at the low hanging fruit and a fairly obvious angle to do. That said, I felt like it lent itself well into the promo, which wasn’t spectacular, but it WAS solid enough, and sold the match with a serious tone. Nothing over the top or goofy, which is what I’d expect from a feud of this type in WCW in this era.

The match type stifled the creativity a little, I felt, and you fell back into some usual tropes in these kinds of matches with early pins, unbelievable pins etc. There was one spot that I loved in the match though, and it was Kama wrapping the chain around his arm to clothesline Dustin back into the ring. I’m pretty sure someone has probably done that before, but seeing as I can’t remember who or when, I can only commend you on that, and the finish was creative without going too far, which is commendable. 8/10

I got a lot of Rocky III vibes in parts of this feud, but the biggest mistake I think you made was having Dustin win the first encounter between the two, so we’ve established that he can beat Kama already if he has his head on straight. Also, I think having Kama beaten again – albeit by the top guy in the company – didn’t do much to put him over the top as a bad ass killer. Keep him undefeated. Have him put guys out with his brutality. Keep him strong, not suffering losses.

As I mentioned in the last section too, whilst using Dusty didn’t feel like the most creative move, it DID lend itself to adding more investment in the promo section, and Kama preying on the relationship between father and son, and gave you something to drill down on in the promo. You nailed Dustin’s verbiage for the most part too, and I bought into your portrayal of his passion when he spoke.

Moving onto the match though, and I think you gave yourself an uphill challenge from the get go with the Death Match Stip. It didn’t help when Dustin came straight out of the gate with the crossbody. In my mind, he should’ve learned that being emotional and hot headed is what cost him the title, and at least in the beginning of this match should’ve been a lot smarter.

I was ready to really go hard at you too when Dustin pinned Kama in the opening moments too, as I hate that trope in multiple fall type matches. However; your commentary saved you here, and floating the idea of Kama purposely not kicking out in order to preserve energy and give himself a ten second rest was pretty clever – at least to me, anyway. But you can’t start a match like this at 100mph like that and then expect me to care about hammerlocks and waistlocks.

As mentioned before, the stipulation hampered you here. You got away with the early one on Kama, but Dustin getting pinned – still early in the match – because of a low blow gets an eye roll from me. The fact he still struggled to get up after took me out of the match for a minute too because I didn’t believe for a second that the low blow would both keep him down for a 3 count AND the 10 count.

"Dustin then grabs the head of Kama, looking for the Bionic Elbow! KAMA KNEES DUSTIN DEEP IN THE GUT!"

So, I had big problems with that sequence. You need to do a better job in telling me if someone has an attempt blocked at offence. Even a simple NO!! (maybe even bolded) in between the Bionic Elbow and Kama delivering the knee.
    You wrote a good comeback sequence for Dustin though, and him getting some revenge with the chain felt like the right move to make. On top of that, the finish was enjoyable. It wasn’t a ridiculous, over the top finish, but felt like it would’ve had a “wow” factor for 1994 WCW standards, and you deserve points for having a relatively BIG finish, without going overboard and showing restraint. 6.5/10

Description/detail
    Thought you had some excellent little touches, such as Tony shilling the PPV start time etc right at the top of the interview, as that was something commentators would endlessly do back in the day. I do think you overdid the amount of dialogue from Kama. You might’ve been better served to keep his sentences short, sharp and to the point, rather than going into those long, detailed paragraphs. There was even a sentence Kama said “tomorrow night” at the beginning of it, AND the end. Dustins verbiage was excellent though, no issues there for me.

I certainly appreciated the succinct backstory, and not filling it with weeks of angles – as WCW in 1994 simply didn’t have feuds with an angle each and every week, so that was a plus too. Where you fell down was not getting the Death Valley Driver over prior to the match, and establishing it for the readers benefit as Kama’s finish. The first time I knew it was his finish was when you told me – during the match, after it landed. 7/10

Total
    score: 28.5/40
    It’s a steady improvement round on round, but I don’t think it’s unfair to say you’ve got a big task ahead in the final to catch up to Ty if you want to win this. There’s some area’s you can make instant improvements on, such as the presentation side of things, but there’s others – as pointed out in my feedback for you here – that you’ll need to probably make a substantial improvement on.
    You’re an underdog, but with the right ideas in the final, with a perfect execution, there’s no reason that you can’t pull off the upset.

Keef's judging will follow tomorrow.

Shoulder To Shoulder

Status

If ya weeeeel...

Keefmoons Scores

TY2J

Formatting/presentation

Your formatting has been on point all the way through, so you were never scoring low here. However, I gave you feedback in the last round about how to improve, and you did it. More colour? Check. More interesting font? Check. Better spacing on the match? Check. You did everything I asked of you even after doing a bloody great job of it in previous rounds, and for that reason I have no qualms over handing out what I think is my first full marks so far.10/10

Creativity

Aspects of this entry were very creative. The pre-show/pre-match hype video as a way of telling the backstory was great. Using a Bullrope match isn't the kind of thing you see often. You changed history to have Cody in NXT, but did it in a way that felt authentic. All good stuff.

However, I still feel like you went a little safe on this one. A 2017 NXT match isn't particularly creative given some of the other options out there. The promo we got was a fairly standard "heel heat for the sake of heel heat whoops I've been interrupted now let's fight oh the challenger won and holds up the belt", which is about as basic a format for a promo as you can have, and without enough innovative touches added to make up for that. The match stips were creative, but the way the match was laid out wasn't particularly. You had one really creative spot which I thought I was going to love with the hogtying, but then you just had him untie him and continue the match (I guess in theory you "paid it off" later, but there wasn't really anything to pay off, and it didn't really make sense as the end of the match to me).

If you can combine your obvious flair for thinking outside the box with the little touches and use that for the execution and content of the matches and angles (which is where the bulk of the marks are coming from), you could score far, far higher than this. 7/10

“Son of a common man versus entitled rich guy" is a good, solid story, and I've been wanting to see more of those in this competition this year. Cody trying to stand up for his father's legacy is also great. You also told the story in the backstory in a creative but interesting way.

That said, the stories behind the angle and match were a little underwhelming. You're intentionally handicapped by a lack of choice of competitor so I won't mark you too harshly for this, but the match itself didn't have a real story behind it. It felt like two guys who don't like each other have a relatively standard hardcore match, and the babyface wins. All the stuff with it being a battle for NXT's soul and Roode is rich and Cody comes from nothing didn't really get played out at all. Likewise, the story to get to this match would have been fine in a normal BTB, but for an exhibition "heel champion gets intentionally counted out so the rematch is a stipulation" is a bit of a cliche of a story.

I'm pleased that you simplified things a little and told a normal, honest story with this whole arc, but you have way more potential than "the heel isn't nice so the babyface beats him", which this essentially was.7/10

Description

As I've said a lot in these, I'm looking for a combination of leaving nothing out without putting too much in. You got that balance pretty much nailed on here. The creative approach to the backstory could have been a total mess, but you actually used it to give just the right amount of information, which was hugely impressive. You had plenty of awesome touches, like the entrances and the near blood stoppage and whatnot, but without overdoing it so I got bored. The only flaws I have is that occasionally it wasn't hugely clear what was going on, such as the point after the announce table being thrown where Rhodes hit Roode with the cowbell. It took me a couple of reads to realise it was Cody who attacked, not Bobby. But overall, I thought you did really well on this. 9/10

Overall score: 33/10
    I really enjoyed this entry. You really got the fundamentals locked down here and I'd say it was your most consistent, balanced effort so far. For the final, what I'm hoping to see is you take these fundamentals and tap in to your obviously creative mind a little more, and tell one story all the way through your entry. If you have a a well-written and beautifully presented entry that uses an interesting combination of people I wouldn't expect from you, and tells one coherent yet unusual story all the way through the backstory, angle and match, you'll really hard to beat, regardless of who submits an entry and who doesn't. Good work.

LINGUISTICTURN

Formatting/presentation

This looked perfectly neat, and you did well with spacing stuff out so it's not just a wall of text, particularly for things like pinfalls and counting them down in the match. It was also clear to tell when someone was talking, which is important. So the basics were absolutely there.

That said, it was all a little too plain for my liking. I appreciate you reigning in the colours, but a little colour, different sizes, or segment dividers wouldn't hurt here and there, just to keep it as visually interesting as possible. I'd also have liked more bolding once we got to the match, as at times it was a sea of default font, colour and size. Take what you're doing here and add a little flair to it and this rating will shoot up. 7/10

Creativity

I love the idea of putting Kama in WCW in this period. It's not something I particularly thought about, but he was actually a perfect fit for them at that time. Massive props for going that route.

I'll also give you props for going with a Texas Death Match, which is authentic for the era and yet not something I'd have expected to see here. The contract signing wasn't hugely creative, and I don't think anything happened in the match I hadn't seen before, but I'm actually going to mark you up for reigning in your creativity when it came to spots. Had you had a Piledriver on the concrete for a two count or something you'd have been marked down. This section isn't just about how wildly creative you can be, but how you use the creativity you have without going overboard. Given we limited you with your choices, I don't think you could have gotten much more creative without veering in to inauthentic. 8.5/10

I really liked the story you told here. The monster loses, so targets what he knows will throw the babyface off, uses that to beat him, then the babyface comes back looking for revenge. As I said for Ty, I've been looking for more down-to-earth solid storytelling in this competition, and I got that here.

I also thought the promos themselves were great. Kama was arguably a little too wordy for my liking, but they really told the story well and got me invested in what was going on. I genuinely came out of this promo wanting to read the match and find out what happens next, so it's a huge success on that front.

Where it fell down a little, though, was in some of the smaller touches. The match itself didn't go far enough to tell the story you had started in my opinion. Kama is this unrelenting, calculated vicious heel, and Dustin the overly emotional, reckless babyface. You touched on it when Kama yelled at him about "you asked for this", but I needed way more clear and obvious storytelling about Dustin's recklessness costing him and the way Kama was using it against him. Also, I LOVED the idea of Kama accepting a pinfall loss because it would allow him to rest up for the ten count (very in keeping with his calculated approach to everything), but then he immediately abandoned that strategy for reasons I don't fully understand. You also had Dustin get pinned and nearly stay down for ten of a low blow, which didn't fit the story of him refusing to stay down at all. You clearly know what you're doing with this stuff, like setting up the concrete in advance and paying it off later, so tighten up some of these smaller bits in the match and you'll score some really high marks here. As it is, I think this is still the highest I've given in this category so far. 8/10

Description/detail

In terms of my "all the necessary information without adding in too much" criteria, you did a good solid job here. The backstory was well-written and I got all the information I needed. The small touches, like Kama's striped suit and Dustin not wearing a jacket to the ring were appreciated as well.

However, the match itself too closely resembled a list of spots for my liking. There was a lot of explanation about what was happening, but not enough about why. I don't just need to know what is going on, I need to be allowed to connect with it. "Show, don't tell". Add a little flair. Tell the story of the way the blood drips down Dustin's face. Let the big moments breathe so I can live them as though it were real. Phrases like, and I quote, "an expression of thought spreads across his face" doesn't go anywhere near far enough to paint a picture and put me in the arena with them. It wasn't bad by any means, but given you're going in to the final now I'm expecting great, and this was only borderline good.

Also, keep an eye out for mistakes. "When I am to this company", "weighting three hundred and twenty pounds", "Kama says he is here to make friends". This really could have used a more thorough read through. I know it's boring, but it's such an unnecessary way to lose points.
    6.5/10

Overall rating: 30/10
    This was a really good effort, and your best entry so far. I thought you did everything you could for creativity when limited with participants, and the story you told was back-to-basics, but in a great way. What I'm looking for in the final is a little more flair in your descriptions (there's no shame in using thesaurus.com if you're struggling for words) and presentation, and pushing that great storytelling ability you have through every element of your writing. Marry those aspects up in the final and you can absolutely still win this.

Thread Information