Thread: HARASHIMA

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

HARASHIMA

Probably going to be the only one that'll vote for him in their Top 50 but he is one person that really stands out as a consistently great wrestler as far as Japan goes. Often referred to as the quintessential ace because he can do anything to a high degree. If striking is your thing, HARASHIMA excels at that. Submission/Grappling, has a ton of matches that fit that. Big match/bomb-fests, he has that. Working from beneath or bullying the opponent, yes. Even working in a team, having to carry the load or otherwise. HARASHIMA even past his prime can deliver.

Here are some of the matches that I've seen that's very good-great:

v KUDO - 31/05/2015 (Great heel work by HARASHIMA who uses closed fists, ups the stiffness in his strikes and does it with a smile on his face too)

vs Yukio Sakaguchi - 25/10/2015 (Tons of Striking and mat work, a big showcase for both guys but also a good way to present Sakaguchi since I'm thinking about making a thread for him too)

w/ Ken Ohka vs Hiroshi Tanahashi & Yohei Komatsu - 17/11/2015 (Pretty famous match w/ a great backstory. HARASHIMA gives a strong performance as the hot tag and driving force of his team)

vs Takeshita - 20/03/2017 (Be warned, this match is known for some no-selling but none comes from HARASHIMA. HARASHIMA does a superb job of working on the leg, being the dominant ace that puts over the future ace)

vs Shuji Ishikawa - 28/01/2018 (Great match w/ HARASHIMA being great in taking down the bigger opponent, fighting and selling from beneath being the underdog)

vs Shinya Aoki (THE AOKI btw) - 17/02/2019 (Pure grappling in this with HARASHIMA matching Aoki pretty much every step in the way. Great MOTYC)

W/ Yasu Urano vs Daisuke Sasaki & Soma Takao - 15/07/2019 (Great showcase of HARASHIMA just being a great tag partner w/ Urano)

- Still got tons more that I haven't watched that I'll update the thread with

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Re: HARASHIMA

Vs Kota Ibushi - DDT 15/02/2015

The match starts off with some really nice mat exchanges with HARASHIMA showing his grappling prowess. HARASHIMA then starts to target the ribs, really going to town on Ibushi’s ribs with two really stomach turning stomps, followed up by a dropkick to the ribs after Ibushi tried to leapfrog him. He really put a ton behind his strikes to the region and switched it up too. The brawling upto the stage was interesting. They made great use of the set, for sure and it’s something you wouldn’t really see in Big DDT matches but it was the low point of the match. Ibushi was way more “spotty” in 2015 than he is now but I think HARASHIMA does a great job of reigning those tendencies in and using it to his advantage. The closing stretch is okay, the dead crowd doesn’t help (Saitama isn’t the loudest bunch), the striking exchange was good and stiff but it felt empty. I think it falls way short of being a MOTYC, sadly but the early parts of the match had a great HARASHIMA showcase.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Two big hitters and one good but not great main event

Vs Kota Ibushi - DDT 29/04/2015
    Similar to the Saitama match. They start on the ground with Ibushi using his speed and agility to not be overrun in the early goings before HARASHIMA targets the ribs. Then they transition into throwing big strikes and all their hits at each other. But I think this is much better paced than their last match. They pulled out some really awesome sequences, which are also received much better in front of the Kourkean Hall crowd. They even expended on the finishing stretch of their other match by adding some great counters with tons more struggle to pull off their finishers. The whole match was pretty good but it wasn’t without fault. The early parts of the match with HARASHIMA going for the ribs and Ibushi for the back were blown off rather quickly. If they cut that part out and kept the rest, this would’ve been a MOTYC for me.

Vs KUDO - DDT 31/05/2015
    Never been a big KUDO fan. He doesn’t have the charisma of HARASHIMA but I do think that he is still a good wrestler because of his intensity and good offence, and he very much delivered here. Some of his comebacks were extremely well timed and thus allowed all the babyface heat he gained in the match to shine through most effectively. The fire he showed in his offence was so awesome. HARASHIMA was fantastic in this. And whilst KUDO did great fighting from beneath, HARASHIMA stood out with his outstanding heel work. Closed fists for some of the strike exchanges, smiling in such a dickish manner whilst brutalising KUDO’s ribs, being an absolute bully. They peaked at the absolute right time with no over dramatic near falls, keeping it to a minimum. There was tons of struggle in the match, allowing the tension of a switch of momentum to happen. The crowd bought into what the story was telling. Great match held up by two fantastic performances.

W/Yuji Hino & Yuji Okabayashi vs Daisuke Sekimoto, Masato Tanaka & Takashi Sugiura - BJW 30/06/2015
    This was just a big and manly heavyweight spot fest that was pretty fun from start to finish. In a match that he could’ve got lost in, HARASHIMA was a major stand out, for me, in this match. While everyone else was throwing all their might into hitting the most brutal bombs they could muster, HARASHIMA is the more traditional of the 6. And since HARASHIMA is the least brutish of the lot and the easiest to rally behind, he fits the FIP for his team perfectly. And he does so well - eating all his opponents offence very well and making them look great in the process with his selling. HARASHIMA at one point took a really nasty bump, rib first, on the ropes after a Sugiura suplex. Even when he has his run of offence, there is tons of energy about him. A hell of a match overall. Big time MOTYC. Great performances from most involved, HARASHIMA mostly

I think he is a lock for top 50 already just by watching his 2015 stuff. Just want to see how it continues into 2016 and 17.

WAKE UP

Status

The KUDO and Ibushi matches are real good, but I personally don't have enough interest in DDT to dig too deeply into his resume. There's also an awesome match against Higuchi from I think 2016.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

He's definitely one of the better workers in DDT when it comes to actual wrestling. I don't think he'd be in my top 50 but he's had quite a few good matches in this era. Kind of a sleeper candidate between him and Takeshita.

Thread Information