Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2019/2020 Discussion Thread

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Premier League Premier League 2019/2020 Discussion Thread

Another Premier League season kicks off tonight when a team that mounted a successful title winning campaign, Norwich, take on Liverpool, who haven't won the league since the 1980s.

Let's get some discussion going before kick off today, any predictions for the season ahead? who's gonna do well, who's gonna struggle, will Alan Pardew worm his way back into the league at some point this year?

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: Premier League 2019/2020 Discussion Thread

If the top 4 isn't anything other than Man City, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal it'll be strange. The battle for the best of the rest is going to be very good this year too. Everton, Leicester and Wolves....there's really not a great deal between the three of them.

I'm interested to see how Ole goes in his first full season at United, and with Lampard getting the Chelsea job very early on. The transfer ban may be a blessing for Lampard too as he'll have to use JM and his knowledge of the younger players.

At the other end I can see it being 3 from 5/6 clubs. I expect to see Brighton, Newcastle, Norwich and Sheff Utd struggle. Villa could just as easily end up doing a Fulham last season with spending all that money and making massive changes.

I'm also interested to see how Bournemouth and Burnley do again given they haven't really improved their squads with Premiership quality.

Other early predictions.....Kane to win Golden Boot, first manager will be sacked in October and Pogba will sulk more than Anelka ever did.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Stylebender

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Top 4 I'm thinking will be Liverpool, Man City, Tottenham & either Arsenal or Man United, I think Chelsea will do well enough with Lampard, just not Top 4. I'm hoping for either Wolves or Leicester to maybe get into one of the Top 6 slots, just to keep the big teams on their toes.

I have Burnley, Norwich and Newcastle going down, with Sheffield and Newcastle it could go either way though

Impact 2014: Rebranding When It Mattered

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Top 4:

1. City ... By miles and miles
    2. Spurs
    3. Liverpool

Top 3, I think most people will go with some order of these three (usually Liverpool in 2nd). City are too good, and even a freakish season from Liverpool wasn't enough to stop them. Liverpool won't be that good again, and City have only strengthened.

I really like Spurs' business this summer. Poch has addressed the issues in the squad and added to the depth. N'dombele allows Eriksen and Alli to push further up, and a rested Kane is amazing for them. I can see them sneaking into 2nd but still a long way off City.

4. Arsenal
    Again, great business. They have one of the most exciting attacks in the league. Obviously question marks about the defence, but in Emery they have a better/more experienced manager than the other teams below.

5. Chelsea
    6. Man Utd

Not that there's a lot to split them. Both teams have unproven managers, and in Chelsea's case have certainly got a worse team than last year. No top 4 for Chelsea would be forgivable given the circumstances. For man utd it would be another failure.

Best of the rest: Leicester. Losing Maguire is a blow but their attack and midfield is very exciting.

Relegation:

20. Sheffield United - I like Chris Wilder a lot, but the investment just wasn't there.

19. Brighton - they were in absolute free fall last year and I expect that to continue into this year.

18. Newcastle - people may point to the signings but my counter argument to that would be we last got relegated with now World Cup/European cup winners (Sissoko, Thauvin, Wijnaldum) and an on paper decent team. The atmosphere around the club is horrible and if we get off to a bad start things will spiral out of control. Still not confident of staying up, but slightly more hopeful than 2 weeks ago.

Palace will be ok in spite of themselves because of Hodgson. Norwich will surprise a few teams thanks to their positivity which can throw off other teams against a newly promoted side. Villa could go either way because defensively they're shit. Southampton and Burnley will both be ok.

Top scorer: Salah
    POTY: KDB

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

1. Man City (Obviously)
    2. Spurs (Great team and have made some good signings)
    3. Liverpool (great team but their failure to add to their squad will cost them a few games imo. Depth isn't there either)
    4. Man United (Risky but they've done enough to close the gap, fixed up the defence and young players who can step up like Greenwood/Gomes/Gardner. Could change w/ Arsenal easily)
    5. Arsenal (Have gotten rid of the deadwood but the team really hasn't made any significant changes from what I've seen)
    6. Chelsea (Losing their best player and unable to replace him will hurt. I think Lampard is a god manager but this is Chelsea and I think he'll be sacked come October)

18. Newcastle (They have a decent team but decent ain't enough and they've lost one of their best players and manager)
    19. Norwich (this is just a guess but I've no knowledge of the team)
    20. Sheffield United (Unless they pull a Bournemouth, I just don't see it working out)

Golden Boot: Sterling
    POTY: KDB (should be stay fit)
    First Manager Sacked: Frank Lampard.

Relentless Admin

Status

1 - City, hard to look past them having strengthened weak spots in the squad. #strengthindepth
    2 - Liverpool, haven't bought anyone but have Ox and Gomez back and as tonight proved they don't even have to be at their best to blitz the bottom half of this league.
    3 - Arsenal, think they've done well to strengthen both ends of the pitch and I expect them to push on
    4 - Spurs, good signings but the defence is aging, right back is an issue and I have my doubts on Kane if he has another year rushing back from injury and playing when he isn't fit
    5 - Chelsea, Lampard is in the job too early but I think he's fantastic at man managing, I think the team spirit will be much improved from last year, he's gonna give youth a chance, I could see them surprising people.
    6 - Utd, nice additions to the defence which helps them out but they're no stronger in midfield and up front, can't rely on Rashford all season, still got the Pogba problem looming over their heads and frankly Ole isn't a top 10 manager and will get sacked at some point this season
    7 - Everton, as inevitable as Pep
    8 - Leicester, lovely going forward, bit worried at the back
    9 - Wolves, EUROPA will stretch them but I think they've got enough to stay up in that top 10 position
    10 - Watford, just a weird side to predict, strangely think they'll do alright
    11 - West Ham, think they'll struggle for goals to start with until Haller gets up the speed
    12 - B'Mouth. Love 'em, kept their best players and Wilson a great pick up on loan.
    13 - Burnley, They'll work aaard and with VAR to even out the decisions they never get and Jay Rodriguez the master penalty taker in the side, I see them surviving again
    14 - Palace, they've kept Zaha so they'll have enough to stay up. Cahill a really good signing.
    15 - Saints, they'll have the same year they always have, probably sack the manager who I still haven't learned the name of.
    16 - Villa, I don't think they've got a striker for all the money they've spent. It's a side that looks short of goals but I think they can see out enough games to survive.
    17 - Sheff Utd, I just have this feeling that Chris Wilder is going to be able to out think enough managers to pull this off. Player for player they shouldn't of been in the top 6 last year, but he knows how to tactically beat teams better technically than his.
    18 - Newcastle, no momentum, Rafa was the reason they've stayed up for 2 years
    19 - Brighton, don't rate the manager and they were mighty close to stay up last year
    20 - Norwich, won't be able to defend to the level they need to, they're a gung-ho side.

Golden Boot - Aubameyang
    POTS - Sterling
    1st Manager Sacked - The Southampton dude.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    1st Manager Sacked - The Southampton dude.
    Hassenhuthel - very very decent manager in my opinion and they looked much brighter than before.

I'd say first manager sacked will be the Watford manager. They love a good sacking over there.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Shock Reviews Archive

Jam Up Guy

Status

I'll have a stab at the order for this year:

1 - Man City
    2 - Liverpool - unfortunately see them dropping more than City do compared to last year
    3 - Spurs - we've invested well, Kane has had a rest for the first time in forever, and the aging defence is really 32-year-old Jan and 30-year-old Toby, which for their quality isn't the end of the world at all. I don't see City and Liverpool being quite asgood again this year, meaning we'll dream of a title challenge until the others pull away in March
    4 - Chelsea - could have gone for Arsenal here, but still think there are frailties there that you can't solve overnight with a new winger, and Chelsea still have an interesting squad even with the transfer ban
    5 - Arsenal - far better window than I was expected for them, but still expect the lingering stuff in their DNA to trip them up. It'll take more than one season to reset some of those issues
    6 - Leicester - fuck it, I'm going for it. If they can handle Maguire being gone relatively okay then they've got a very exciting squad with a manager who can get the best out of them
    7 - Everton - could see them in 6th, but too many unknown factors with so many signings and Gueye going
    8 - Man Utd - I know this board is mostly made up of United fans, but I unfortunately see the teams in 7-10 getting better, and there are too many problems at Utd. I don't see Maguire as the man to automatically solve their defensive issues, OGS is completely unproven at this level, the end of season form was catastrophic and and I can't see that toxic culture having changed just because Lukaku is gone
    9 - West Ham - I like what they're doing there now. They've calmed down a lot and it's a nice looking squad
    10 - Wolves - they could easily be in Leicester's place, but I'm going to predict they go deep in the Europa and that impacts their league form
    11 - Southampton - Hassenhuttl is a great manager and I think he's going to get them looking decent
    12 - Bournemouth - retained their key players and made good defensive reinforcements. I think from 12th down will be in touching distance of relegation, though
    13 - Brighton - I can see this going either way. Either Potter makes the most of some fantastic new signings and some of the guys Houghton couldn't get the best from, or the whole thing crumbles and they finish last. I think it might be the former, though
    14 - Aston Villa - good signings, but there's been too much change for me to feel any comfort in predicting them any higher
    15 - Norwich - away at Liverpool isn't any way to judge a team. I think they'll get it together as the season goes on and do okay
    16 - Watford - great season last year, but I don't see them replicating it and am going to predict a surprisingly tough year for them
    17 - Sheffield United - I actually think they've bought well, they don't concede many, but they play good football that I think will surprise a few people. Reckon they'll be something like 10th at Christmas and then tumble from there, but will stay up
    18 - Burnley - huge respect for what they've done so far, but can see this being the year that they just have too much to overcome
    19 - Crystal Palace - weak transfer dealings, and an over-reliance on one player to save them year-on-year. Uncle Roy has done a fantastic job there, but I think things will slip away this year
    20 - Newcastle - I hate it, but I can see the wheels falling off this year unfortunately. The sooner that clown sells the club, the better

Top scorer: Salah
    POTY: Sterling
    First manager to go: Javi Gracia

Heel Champion

Status

FNF was a decent enough watch. If Farke keeps Norwich playing that way they should pick up enough points against the teams in their half of the league to stay up. As for Liverpool as deadly as they are going forward, they look very shaky at the back. If VVD gets injured for any length of time they'll really struggle if the other three aren't sorted out, as Norwich went through them quite easily at times.

Relentless Admin

Status

I was surprised he started Gomez over Matip, that might be a change he looks into next weekend. It just didn't feel like a game Pool had even prepared for because defensively they had no answer for Norwich, as if they were happy enough to just having it be an attack vs attack game and know their quality would outscore theres.

The 12:30 game today (Hammers/City) sounds cracking, excited to see the new boys for Hammers before I head off to the Hawthorns. I can see wins for Everton, Watford and Burnley on the cards, but that b'mouth/Utd game is totally unpredictable in my eyes, could be anything from a 4-0 home win to a comfortable away win.

Heel Champion

Status

The oneupmanship has started already. Liverpool score 4 so City go and score 5 as you were lads.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Scary start from Man City.

I was kind of with VAR until the penalty retake- I felt that was too much. Would he have retaken it if he had scored- unlikely.

Some of the football was quality.

United tomorrow. Zero expectations for the season. 4th at best, 6th expectation.

"LET ME IN.."

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

Status
      Country                    Liechtenstein

Well... someone fucked the Hammers right from the get go...

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Can wait until Pep leaves City A hell of a start for the favourites.

Status

I will do my table predictions somewhere down the road... maybe May-ish...

So Arsenal have had to pull Ozil and Kolasinac from tomorrow's match over security concerns. Apparently further incidents / threats / concerns after the attempted carjacking incident. No details have been released, but this sucks on a human level as well as a footballing level.

Honestly, we are probably gonna lose 4-2 to Newcastle tomorrow and Joelinton and Carroll will have 2 each. We are down a lot of players and we do love a slow start to the season.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Relentless Admin

Status

This spursing would be funny if it wasn't against the Villa.

Status

Thank fuck for the win. Not pretty and probably not deserved, but I'll take it. That looked every bit like the kind of performance we had away so often last year where we couldn't hold onto the ball, allowing the opposition to put us under pressure again and again, and fell apart mentally after conceding. Given that, definitely happy to take the 3 points.

We had 4 players in our starting 11 who are likely to be 1st choice when we have a fully fit squad. So considering that....

Fun fact - Miki gave away the ball 15 times in the 1st half alone.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status

Didn't see that scoreline coming given how even the first half was but will most certainly take it.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    First Manager Sacked: Frank Lampard.
    This might come true very quickly

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

5-1-4 is a hell of a formation. Arsenal weren't very good and a result was there for the taking but we threw the match away as soon as we decided to take off two central midfielders and give Arsenal freedom of the city.

Shock Reviews Archive

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information