Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2019/2020 Discussion Thread

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: Premier League 2019/2020 Discussion Thread

City is a strange one. They have two very good on their days centre backs in Stones and Otamendi yet Pep insists on playing Fernandinho there and that is proving to be their undoing at the moment.

I am starting to wonder if Pep has now run his course at City and is due another break.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

Status

Loads of rumblings out of Germany that Bayern want Pep back. Which is why they don't have any interest in Pochettino.

I have no idea who I want for Arsenal. Just... none. The guy I really wanted last time would have been a poor hire, it seems. And our actual hire was poor. So I don't have any faith the club would get who I want if I did have a favorite, nor do I have much faith that they will land the right guy.

Ornstein said today that they aren't looking for someone with the "profile" of Ancelotti. Reports are all over the place, but Pochettino and Arteta are being listed as favorites. Even between those two, I'm not sure which I would prefer. Poch is much more of a known quantity, but that comes with a certain weight. A certain level of expectation. I think fans will be a bit more patient with someone like Arteta, which is probably what is needed at this point, given our squad and its... mentality deficiencies.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Stylebender

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I think right now there's not really any point in me as a fan thinking about a new manager. I have my own thoughts, I want Benitez or Angelotti, someone with premier league experience, as much as I'd love an attacking manager, maybe its best we do go for someone who can actually set up a defence and give us stability. I'm gonna back Ljungberg for as long as he's here, I just live his whole demeanour. There isn't the generic media training interviews we get with everyone else, he's open & honest without sounding like a robot or a fucking parody *cough* AFTV *cough*

C H A M P E S A N Y A

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Ancelotti at Arsenal sounds like it would be a disaster because: he's never been a great league manager; he isn't a tough manager; football has kind of passed him by recently. I can't see him being the person that could rebuild Arsenal like they need.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Ancelotti at Arsenal sounds like it would be a disaster because: he's never been a great league manager; he isn't a tough manager; football has kind of passed him by recently. I can't see him being the person that could rebuild Arsenal like they need.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    This is pretty much my concern with Ancelotti. For a long time, he's been a manager who was the final step. Not a long-term project guy. Not one to build a team from nothing for 3-4 seasons. But someone who took a good or very squad and took them that final step to be great. What happened in Bayern doesn't leave me with a lot hope he would be what Arsenal need tactically or on the training pitch. The Napoli situation doesn't do much to reserve that concern.

But I am with you, Chaddes, in throwing my support behind Freddie. He hasn't purely convinced me yet, but I'm hopeful as hell.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Stylebender

Status

He hasn't convinced me for the full time job either, but if he play like we did against West Ham in the 2nd half on a MUCH more consistent basis, get the players feeling more confident, I'm sure we'll be able to get a nice little run going. One thing I'd like to see is Guendouzi starting. He's consistently been our best midfielder this season, it's a bit weird he's just been dropped.

C H A M P E S A N Y A

Jam Up Guy

Status

Is Ornstein really talking about Pochettino to Arsenal?! I really don't get how this story is lingering, I can't for the life of me see it happening. But then again, I said the same about Jose replacing Poch and look where we are now.

Everything I've ever heard about Ancelotti makes him sound like a terrible, terrible appointment for Arsenal. He's the guy you bring in after a successful disciplinarian to lighten the load and give players freedom to express themselves. He takes 8/10 performing teams and makes them 10/10 (for a bit). But is what Arsenal need really someone who is a bit soft? Mind you, no idea who would better be a better bet.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    He hasn't convinced me for the full time job either, but if he play like we did against West Ham in the 2nd half on a MUCH more consistent basis, get the players feeling more confident, I'm sure we'll be able to get a nice little run going. One thing I'd like to see is Guendouzi starting. He's consistently been our best midfielder this season, it's a bit weird he's just been dropped.
    I'm very curious if that second half goal-blitz was a turning point or just a good few minutes. A really interesting dynamic is that if Freddie does get things turned out, it won't be down to new manager bounce. We didn't have one at all. So him getting things sorted would be a really impressive audition for the job.

I think we are going to benefit more from focusing on transitions and tearing teams open than truly "sticking to the Arsenal/Wenger way". That one touch attacking football is beautiful.... but it requires a respect for the ball and a level of possession we don't seem capable of. The fact that Ljundberg wants to do that but was picking players who are really bad for turning the ball over (Kolasinac, Guendouzi, Willock) and played Ozil in an isolating position against Norwich was pretty contradictory to me.

And Guendouzi has been our best overall midfielder so far, but he also has some flaws that really hurt us. His defensive position is often really poor, which is a big part of why teams tear through our middle so easily. He also gives the ball away a lot. Some of those are attempting penetrating passes, but some of them are just sloppiness and it happens in areas where the opposition can turn and burn. Guendouzi will chase but again, his defensive positioning isn't a strength. He isn't as pressable as Xhaka but still not press-resistant, and it sure seems like opponents target them and try to press them, every bit as much as they do our defenders doing their comical bits of "playing out of the back". A lot of our defensive problems source back to the midfield and Guendouzi is part of the problem there.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    Is Ornstein really talking about Pochettino to Arsenal?! I really don't get how this story is lingering, I can't for the life of me see it happening. But then again, I said the same about Jose replacing Poch and look where we are now.

Everything I've ever heard about Ancelotti makes him sound like a terrible, terrible appointment for Arsenal. He's the guy you bring in after a successful disciplinarian to lighten the load and give players freedom to express themselves. He takes 8/10 performing teams and makes them 10/10 (for a bit). But is what Arsenal need really someone who is a bit soft? Mind you, no idea who would better be a better bet.
    Its not just Orny. There are a few reports going around, some being sourced to Poch's side. Stuff like him being open to the move, etc.

I really don't know what to think about him to Arsenal. He's obviously a very good manager. He also has some flaws. Read a few reports of how / why things declined at Tottenham and it makes me wonder how he would handle established "star personalities" at Arsenal like Auba and Lacazette. I think my bigger concern is what the hiring would mean to the fans. Its not so much that I think supporters would reject him, but moreso get toxic more quickly if things don't go well. He would come with expectations, but with this squad and its flaws, I think that could be problematic.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Indy Talent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    I'm very curious if that second half goal-blitz was a turning point or just a good few minutes. A really interesting dynamic is that if Freddie does get things turned out, it won't be down to new manager bounce. We didn't have one at all. So him getting things sorted would be a really impressive audition for the job.
    Think it was just a few good minutes. That was a pretty embarrassing defensive performance yet again by Arsenal.

Meanwhile, we keep winning even when playing shit. That win against Watford yesterday might have been our worst performance of the season. The 4231 formation gets the best out of Salah, but we get exposed more defensively, and we do that enough ourselves. But yet, we keep winning.

It really just might be finally our year :P

Stylebender

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom-E View Post
    Think it was just a few good minutes. That was a pretty embarrassing defensive performance yet again by Arsenal.
    Yep, was pretty fucking awful. Leno defo stopped this from reaching the 6-0 Chelsea level of bad, but we were terrible. We need a proper manager and fast. We're looking at 12th at best at this rate. Apparently we're working with only Ljungberg & Mertersacker as coaches as well, which is pretty fucking mindblowing if true that a supposed "big club" would allow for us to have TWO coaches. Fuck off with this 15 manager waiting list pish and hire someone for fuck sake. Benitez, Arteta, Poch, Kovac, fuck, get Sam Allardyce or Neil Warnock in for all I care (Although I fucking love Warnock so I wouldn't be opposed to that idea), just hurry the fuck up & get someone in.

C H A M P E S A N Y A

Status

There is rot in every corner at Arsenal at this point. Its hard to fault Freddie too much - regardless of whether he is actually good enough as a manager or not - because he hasn't put been in a situation to succeed in any way. He has no staff - as he pointed out, Mertesacker is pulling double-duty to help out, and its like Per has a ton of experience as a manager either.

We are going to hire Arteta. Not because he is the best choice or anything. But because he will cost much less in salary - and assistants salaries - than Poch or most of the other options. That's what it will come down to - cheaper. And probably won't demand the same level of squad investment that Poch likely would. That's where this club is at this point - do it the cheap way.

As ArseCast and others have pointed out, the really REALLY fucking scary thing about our current situation is that we are counting on those who created this mess to effectively solve it. That's the board and Raul and all of them. They were responsible for Emery and for not taking action sooner. Raul wanted to give Emery a contract extension not that long ago, which says that there finish to the season last year - utter capitulation in the league and then an embarrassing performance in the Europa League final - was absolutely acceptable to the club hierarchy. They were responsible for creating an expensive (in terms of wages and, in some cases, transfer fees) squad that is imbalanced and lacks leadership and resilience.

Leno is our best player this year, even if Auba gets all the love and recognition.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Really feel bad for Arsenal and how they are currently run. It's an utter mess and as mentioned the fans have to basically hold onto the hope that the mess will be sorted by those who help create it. The thought of a club like Arsenal operating with only 2 coaches (both of which have limited experience) is absolutely mind blowing.

Arteta isn't an horrendous choice for a manager, but he's certainly not the level they currently need.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Really feel bad for Arsenal and how they are currently run. It's an utter mess and as mentioned the fans have to basically hold onto the hope that the mess will be sorted by those who help create it. The thought of a club like Arsenal operating with only 2 coaches (both of which have limited experience) is absolutely mind blowing.

Arteta isn't an horrendous choice for a manager, but he's certainly not the level they currently need.
    Arteta is a good choice in a lot of ways. But he will need to be VERY FUCKING GOOD at the role to turn things around in a hurry. With someone who doesn't have much experience and is seen by all as a more "long term" choice, he will more likely to get some patience from fans that he will almost certainly need. Kinda like Lampard with Chelsea this year.

The problem that any new manager will encounter is the players themselves. Some just don't give a fuck anymore - looking at you Xhaka. Some simply are who they are - Ozil, etc. But our midfield is a mess and it makes our messy defense that much worse. As De Bruyne pointed out after the match, of our 4 attacking players, 3 do no real defensive work, meaning that our midfield is basically the two central mids, and one of those is poor defensively. I'm not sure we can play a possession-based style because we have too many players who give the ball away. I'm not sure we can play a pressing style, because we have too many players who don't do the necessary work. And we can't play a counter-attacking style because that requires some defensive solidity.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status

Lingard again ffs. I think he's only ever had a good few months and has been pretty poor the rest of the time. I know this is a squad in transition but surely he's a player that has to leave in the summer if a replacement can be found.

Wonder how long Ole will wait to bring Pogba and Greenwood on.

Your Favourite Member's Favourite Admin

Status
      Country                    England

De Gea what a clanger.

Heel Champion

Status

Crap for De Gea, then ridiculous from Wan-Bissaka. This was a Mourinhoesque performance. On the plus side at least Pogba tried to get things moving, hopefully that means no more starts for Lingard over Christmas.

Indy Talent

Status

It's like United are only a mid table club now

Heel Champion

Status

6th at best with the current setup. We'll give Arsenal a run for their money.

However we know we'll beat City and Liverpool in January haha.

Status

Fucking racism. Fucking disgraceful. I'm not going to aim that at Tottenham supporters. ALL supporters should be better than this. Naming and shaming and banning people doesn't seem much of a deterrent. Its time to get Draconian and start having matches abandoned and clubs docked points. Making those supporters who do that shit to be total pariahs that cause the entire club to suffer.

Nice win for Chelsea. Absolutely mind-blowing that the ref gave that for the goalkeeper at first. Some atrocious reffing.

Fun fact - beloved nice-guy Son has more red cards during his time at Spurs than Xhaka does in his time at Arsenal. But you sure wouldn't know that from the way the media talk about them respectively.

Speaking of media narrative, saw a couple of different places criticize Arteta for not being in the dugout while excusing Ancelotti for the exact same thing. I mean, I guess points for being up front with the fact that you are being inconsistent and just want reasons to criticize one of the clubs.

Speaking of Arsenal... away fans were singing about wanting AFCTV or whatever they are called out of the club. There are plenty of Arsenal supporters who don't like that level of toxicity and understand what it does to the perception of the club.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status

Add into the mix that Gary Neville had a bit of a rant about racism after the game and sky did their best to distance themselves by saying "Those are Gary Neville's views on this" fucking cop out from a global force that could help change the whole situation

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread Information