Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2019/2020 Discussion Thread

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Re: Premier League 2019/2020 Discussion Thread

I've asked a lot of United fans since Poch has been available and I'm shocked at how many have said that we should keep Ole. Think some of them are living in a delusional world frankly.

He's so clearly out of his depth. Just cut our losses and break the bank to get Poch now.

Do agree with Tommy above that Ole isn't the only problem (I mean we all know the problems that there are above him) but every man and his dog also knows Poch is a far superior manager so why not just go and get him. 6 wins out of 22 PL games since Ole permanently got the job is basically relegation form - our squad is nowhere near that bad.

And he scores goals...!

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Idea scenario for me would be to pay the £12.5m or so Poch will miss out on for taking the job then move Ole to the DOF role. Ole knows the club and knows the style and demand needed, unfortunately he just isn't a quality manager. Let Ole source the players for the United way and let someone who can manager to a very high level, do that side of things. That way we get rid of Ed doing the transfer business and have someone who has proven to develop youngsters and work within a budget, I don't see how it isn't a win/win situation.

However knowing Ed and the Glazers, they'll fuck this up and miss out on a top managerial target again.
    I have a plan so cunning......

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Man Utd have bigger problems than Ole, but Ole is an immediate problem that needs resolving, and there's two clear solutions available (Poch and Allegri). Man Utd's squad isn't perfect but it's comfortably in the top 6-7 squads in the league and should be beating teams like Newcastle, Sheffield United and Villa and looking half decent in the process. If not, then how far have the standards and expectations fallen?

Why would you trust a man with Ole's CV (or lack thereof), and the evidence from this season, to suggest that he should be trusted with rebuilding this team? It's masochism at this point. Just because he's a legend of the club? Alan Shearer is a legend for us, I wouldn't want him managing my team again. Paul Ince is a legend for Man Utd, would you trust him with the reigns? Would Arsenal fans accept Tony Adams as manager? Man Utd pride themselves on "not being a sacking club" but let's be honest - they had the greatest manager of all time which meant that they never had to for 20 years. Sometimes you just have to accept that the club got it wrong and cut losses.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

I'm still Ole in but only because I want to see his plan come to fruition with the players he want and a proper squad. The squad is awful and thin which makes it hard to fully blame Ole, despite his painfully plain tactics.

I would like Poch though. Even if it'll bring results on the pitch but long term, with our owners, I can't see it ending any other way than him being sacked too.
    Last edited by MC 16; 12-02-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Heel Champion

Status

Agreed. Plus they should have kept Jose if they weren't going to go after Poch...but you know with Ed and the Glazers running the ship we'd probably wait until February when we're 1 point above the relegation zone to get rid of Ole and end up with another temporary managr.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Man Utd's squad isn't perfect but it's comfortably in the top 6-7 squads in the league
    This stood out to me because it's not coming from a Utd fan so there's no bias attached and I just don't agree. Man Utd to me don't have a top 10 squad, there's a couple of stand out players (usually that don't perform to their potential) and then some mediocre players who really show the state Utd are in if they are now considered regulars in the team. This has been a season where I watch Utd play, usually poorly, and there's nothing on the bench but kids and Lingard to change the game.... how is that a strong squad? Without Pogba, they look to have one of the worst midfields in the division that neither control the middle of the park, or can create chances for their strikers. Aston fucking Villa fighting relegation looked the better side in midfield yesterday. They sold Lukaku and Sanchez and didn't think to replace them with anyone. Mata, Young and Matic are past it, Phil Jones came into the team last week and was so abysmal he had to be taken off at HT. It's a squad littered with problems.

Utd have De Gea, AWB, Maguire, Pogba, Rashford and Martial as players I think top 6 sides would add to the squad, everyone else just isn't that standard.

Heel Champion

Status

Could argue Lindelof would make a difference to the defences of the others too.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I'm not arguing that their squad is better than any of the others in the traditional top 6 (and Leicester to make it 7). I'm saying that their squad is comfortably better than the other teams in the league and therefore should be much more comfortable at least against much weaker sides like Newcastle, Villa, etc.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Shock Reviews Archive

Jam Up Guy

Status

All the talk I've seen of United needing time to rebuild the squad (like Gary Neville saying Solskjaer needs another 4 transfer windows) and whatnot is absolute madness to me. It's like they haven't already spent literally a billion pound on players since Fergie left, or didn't spend nearly £150m in the summer, or don't (apparently) already have the highest wage budget in the league. There seems to be zero indication that United can spend money effectively, OR that Ole is capable of improving the people he does get. United might be low on strikers, but they had a striker on the books who was a proven Premier League goalscorer, scores about 1 in 2 throughout his career and nearly that at United, and is the 2nd top scorer in Serie A this year, and were desperate to sell him in the summer. "The squad isn't good enough" is an excuse that the likes of Norwich or Sheffield United can get away with, but United HAVE spent a fortune, it's just been spent badly and virtually none of the players who have come in have performed at the level they have at other clubs, which gives no indication that spending more money is going to solve any of the problems that are at the club. The phrase "throwing good money after bad" springs to mind.

And from my perspective about Solskjaer, I find it mad that he's still in the job, especially now there are alternatives available. I just don't see any sign that he's got what it takes, the form is terrible and I can't think of a single player who has improved under him. United saying they're "not a sacking club" is easy to say when you have the greatest manager in British footballing history in charge for 25 odd years, but there is literally nothing to suggest that OGS is the guy to turn around the problems. Just because he isn't the only problem at the club doesn't mean he can't also be a problem.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Also, while I get people will rightly say that Man Utd didn't replace Lukaku. Perhaps if Ole hadn't decided immediately upon joining that Lukaku was not in his plans instead of trying to adapt this proven and quality goalscorer to the system, then he'd still be there today. The fact that Man Utd are without a top quality striker is also a part fault of Solsjkaer.

Shock Reviews Archive

Stylebender

Status
      Country                    Scotland

So..... United were okay weren't they?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla: Kings of the Indies
    ONLY in the BTB Section!

Status

https://www.espn.com/soccer/manchest...ing-fell-apart

Fairly interesting read on how things slowly declined at United after Ferguson left. Might not be un-fun reading for United supporters. and I don't' think there is anything ground-breaking. Just gets into the guts of the things that happened and cause so much sideways and backward movement.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

I regret nothing

Status
      Country                    UK

Score early on.

Sit back for the rest of the game.

What a time to be a Newcastle fan.

Status

Getting played off our own patch by Brighton. this side is embarrassing.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Deserved loss at home based on everything I've read so far. This squad has gone an early holiday and just doesn't give a fuck. Wonderful stuff.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Stylebender

Status
      Country                    Scotland

First half was shit from us, saw Ljungberg's team sheet & I wasn't surprised. We have £200,000,000 worth of forwards, why is Ozil on the left & Aubameyang on the wing? Why isn't Pepe starting AGAIN? Xhaka, despite having an okay performance, shouldn't be starting imo, Torreira & Guendouzi would have been better. Our Centre-Backs are so shit. Freddie changed it up in the 2nd half & the Lacazette goal was a bit of a fluke, but I'll take it. We played so much better, but again, we keep on bombing our full back line to the oppositions box leaving us exposed at the back. Aubameyang and Willock had clear chances they should have scored from, & we paid for those missed chances in the last 5 minutes.

Freddie played like a manager who's been a pro for 2 games. He NEEDS to play Auba, Laca, Ozil and Pepe ALL AT ONCE. It shocks me that these four haven't played a game together yet. I'm gutted we lost, but I feel positive because I saw enough in that 2nd half to believe we have what it takes, IF Freddie learns from his mistake today.

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla: Kings of the Indies
    ONLY in the BTB Section!

Status

I wish I still enough faith to hope for improvement. This team have just drained it out of me. I'm just accepting that we are 5 points off a relegation spot, have shown no real improvement as a side since April, and our players idea of impressing the new manager is absolutely failing to perform. We have played well for about 25 minutes out of 200 under Freddie. The fact that our players don't care enough to try to perform for a new manager - which almost EVERY club can count on, regardless of who the new manager or interim manager is - is very telling about this squad.

I so very much want Freddie to do well. Pretty much nothing about the performances in these two matches me think that hope will bear out. He's making pretty obvious squad selection and tactical mistakes. The already-mentioned fullbacks. Putting Ozil on the wing, where he rarely has significant impact, gets isolated, gets annoyed at being isolated, and becomes a complete passenger. Combining the high fullbacks with Xhaka in the holding role, where he lacks the athleticism and gets bypassed. Not protecting our CBs who deliver exactly what they promise and do so consistently. Continuing to start players who give away the ball cheaply, like Willock and Kolasinac. Starting Kolasinac over Tierrny when Kol will do what Kol does, over and over. Not starting Pepe. Emery never managed to sort out our midfield or defense and he was rarely willing to take an actual risk. So far, neither has Freddie.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Huggin' and Kissin'

Status
      Country                    Ireland

At this stage bad taste or not I'd be raiding Wolves

Status

James on the ArseCast pointed something out on the episode today that kinda clicked, as I've not heard it pointed out this way before. I - and most Gooners - complain about how poorly run the club is and the ownership and the board and even now our hero in the summer Raul. When you think about it, though, what fans have demanded over the past couple of years have mostly been done. Wenger out? He is gone. Emery out? He is gone too. Big money spending? Pepe is in. Ozil and Mustafi out of the squad? They barely played for extended periods. Give youth a chance? Say hello to the kids starting regularly. Xhaka out as captain after the incident? Stripped.

Almost all of those things too long to happen, or weren't necessarily done for the reasons that the supporters wanted. But they were done. Yet that's not really a positive thing. Making decisions based on supporter unrest doesn't bespeak to club management having a plan like they claim, or at least having any faith in that plan. They don't seem to understand that the supporter unrest comes from a place of wanting the side and the club to be better, not demanding specific things. They shouldn't be approaching the new manager hire process as wanting to make fans happy. They should - NEED TO - approach from a mentality of getting it right. Because if they get it right and the new manager is successful and we do well, then the fans perception of him beforehand wont' matter at all.

Those who run the club are paid massive amounts of money by an indifferent ownership. And their plan seems to consistent of eventually giving in to what they themselves have called "noise".
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status

Watford taking Pearson is a weird one haha. Also Everton going for a guy who has never managed in England to try and save their season is yet another strange one. I still can't believe that after 15 games there's only 9 points between 5th and 18th, for it to be that tight heading into the crazy amount of games December always brings will be great to see.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread Information