Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NWA General Discussion Thread

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: NWA General Discussion Thread

Just watched the show this morning. I love the presentation. Aldis, Drake and Tim Storm all cut some solid promos, on top of Kingston's which is getting a good bit of praise. Matches weren't much to write home about, but the main event was the only one that it seemed like they tried making anything special. NWA posted a pic on Twitter after the tapings wrapped up, and I remember spotting Mr. Anderson and Melina in there, so I'm interested to see if/when they make an appearance. But yeah, good stuff, and I'll definitely continue to check in on this weekly.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Just watched the show this morning. I love the presentation. Aldis, Drake and Tim Storm all cut some solid promos, on top of Kingston's which is getting a good bit of praise. Matches weren't much to write home about, but the main event was the only one that it seemed like they tried making anything special. NWA posted a pic on Twitter after the tapings wrapped up, and I remember spotting Mr. Anderson and Melina in there, so I'm interested to see if/when they make an appearance. But yeah, good stuff, and I'll definitely continue to check in on this weekly.
    do you find this better than ROH? im only asking for perspective
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Ehhh. It's more interesting to me than ROH. Obviously in terms of the ring work, nothing on this show comes close to your standard ROH stuff. But the presentation, the characters and the freshness of it are more engaging to me than what I've seen from ROH lately. Granted, I only really watch the occasional ROH PPV, so take that for what you will.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Ehhh. It's more interesting to me than ROH. Obviously in terms of the ring work, nothing on this show comes close to your standard ROH stuff. But the presentation, the characters and the freshness of it are more engaging to me than what I've seen from ROH lately. Granted, I only really watch the occasional ROH PPV, so take that for what you will.
    from a presentation point of view, this killed ROH tv show. NWA's really small crowd was mic'd well too.

And like you said, it had a fresh feel to it. i want ROH to become like PWG and NXT...wheres its always or mostly from the same venue
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

Hearing lots of positivity about this show, which is always good. Glad to see so many people discussing this and the other alternatives after the week WWE have had.

May check it out, but AEW and MLW are eating up the bulk of my graps time at the moment.

Hate the name though, haha.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

If they could up the workrate, I'd be in love with this show. 1hr is such a perfectly digestable amount of wrestling for me, and committing 2hrs to any other wrestling show is a big ask. Thats my whole evening. Would love it if the bigger companies had digestable 1hr versions of each show.

Relentless Admin

Status

I just took quick look at the show by watching the promos and thought they all landed well and I’m with Jon that an hour long show is welcome. It’s at least something different in a world of similar wrestling tv products.

Status

I enjoyed this nicely as a palette cleanser from AEW's attempt to recapture the attitude era and WWE's attempt to do the worst possible version of themselves. This retro-inspired, small-scale show was a lot of fun, and was easy to follow with simple, clear booking and decent matches. It definitely seems like the kind of shit Cornette would love which makes his involvement make a lot of sense.

Dunno if it'll be weekly viewing for me but with five hours of WWE cut from my schedule I have a lot of room for some new wrestling to love, so I'll probably stick with NWA for a bit and see how it goes.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Huggin' and Kissin'

Status
      Country                    Ireland

What a fun hour that was. Flew in. Kingston and Aldis carry themselves fantastically. Eli Drake too, always thought he'd be a bigger star.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Count me among those that loved the presentation and feel of this show. Obviously growing up watching similar studio taped programs will skew my opinion a little, but this still felt fresher than pretty much any other wrestling I've watched lately.

I loved the squash matches, though I don't really think highly of either of the two featured teams. Kingston's promo was solid, as were the others that EC mentioned. In particular, I felt Eli Drake came out of his promo and match looking like a real guy they can build on, and that's coming from a guy that's never really liked him.

The main event delivered what it had to, though I'm still not overly high on Aldis. I did enjoy watching Storm throw some real desperation into his character given it was his last shot at the belt.

The only thing I didn't care for was that James Storm/Jocephus stuff, which just didn't really hit for me in the slightest.

I'll be watching this going forward until they give me a reason not to.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars of 2019~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I really enjoyed that Billy and Dave took their time to make exactly what they wanted their vision to be. Studio show, classic style commentators and a good mix in the roster. I thought it was an excellent show and will look forward to it weekly.

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    The only thing I disliked was that the main event didnt really deliver. Got a lot of mixed messages from it. I think in the end they were going for an "epic" but the quality just never reached that point so some of the big dramatic spots (low blow, hitting camilla, kicking out of perfect storm) didn't really deliver.
    I cannot disagree with you more on this. Match of the year contender for me. Like top three so far. The story told through the promo's and package and then the match itself all brewed this beautiful mix of mutual respect and sheer desperation that meant that I was fully invested in everything that happened. I absolutely loved it all from start to finish and I did not expect to. I've never seen Tim Storm work before and as much as I like Aldis, I'm well aware of his limitations in the ring. This match (and the show itself) was a breath of fresh air for me. In a world where everyone's doing 3 finishers and kicking out at one, this was just well paced storytelling through physical confrontation and I utterly adored it.

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    I know you weren't asking me... but yes. In every conceivable way. The production was better, the promo's were better, the squash matches were better, the main event was better. I've not watched ROH in months but it's been literal years since they did anything that made me feel as excited and happy to watch it as this made me feel. In my opinion, right now ROH is the company that is really in trouble with the emergence of AEW. WWE will survive for years regardless because they're on a whole other level. So ROH is out there competing with this show, MLW, and iMPACT! and those three shows look better and deliver more variety in my opinion. ROH really needs to step up their game and make some real changes to how they present themselves in order to stay relevant at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Hearing lots of positivity about this show, which is always good. Glad to see so many people discussing this and the other alternatives after the week WWE have had.

May check it out, but AEW and MLW are eating up the bulk of my graps time at the moment.

Hate the name though, haha.
    I am firmly in the "I recommend this" camp, mate. It's retro as fuck, chaotic and fun and genuinely, I don't know why I love it so much because it's nothing like anything I've ever seen before outside of footage in documentaries WWE have put out - which might be exactly why I love it. It's so old, it's new again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Miracle View Post
    I really enjoyed that Billy and Dave took their time to make exactly what they wanted their vision to be. Studio show, classic style commentators and a good mix in the roster. I thought it was an excellent show and will look forward to it weekly.
    Agreed.

People talked about how the NWA was a waste of Corgan's money and how they did very little since he bought it, but I always felt like this was always more of a slow build towards something sustainable. They've admitted that this is them working at a loss right now and they're hoping that the word of mouth from the show will generate a buzz for investors and partners going forward, but they're also dedicated to the vision they have for it and as such that has meant the they've walked away from talks with people that want to change it into something else. It seems like there was some discussion about this being on the WWE Network at one point and I get the feeling that the ROH relationship broke down because of this too. Right now, a free to all show on YouTube is perfect for getting some buzz around them and when you're got The Rock tweeting about your show, that's only going to be good for you.

I adored this show. Everything about it made me happy. It was nice and easy to watch and I never once looked away to my phone. Just so much fun. Can't recommend it enough if you're sat on the fence about it.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Watched it. Enjoyed it all very much. Good promos. Fun squash matches. An hour is perfect for it. Even watching old NWA shows on the network, I feel like the shows can drag in this layout but an hour is perfect. Very good main event.

Jobber

Status

I decided to give the show a chance after seeing the high praise for it. I enjoyed it, I liked the retro feel. It's a very simple presentation; good ole fashioned pro wrestling. The only person I knew well on the show was Homicide, everyone else was new to me and the wrestler's that stuck out immediately were Eli Drake, Nick Aldis and The Wild Cards. The promos were straight up awesoe, some of the best I've heard this year. I thought the main event was well done, I got more into it the longer it went.

Overall, I enjoyed the show, I'm not as emotionally invested yet because I don't know the characters or stories and I didn't watch wrestling in the 80s to really appreciate the nostalgia trip this show is. But I really loved the in-ring wrestling, no gratuitous high spots or 10 minutes rest holds, lots of good psychology. The art of telling a good story in the ring has been dying over the years, I feel like NWA is helping to revive it. I'll definitely tune in next week.

PROVERBS 3:5-6

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

Yeah just watched this and I absolutely loved it. Drake, The Cowboy, Eddie Kingston, The Dawson’s, and Aldis all come off as big deals. A real throwback and I’ll be watching this religiously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status

Well certainly a bigger show this week in terms of mainstream appeal. Bringing in some well-known names like Stevens, Anderson, and Cabana oughta help get a few more eyes on the show. I love the boisterous and organic promos a lot and think that environment suits those three well. It feels like character is gonna matter a lot here and workrate is gonna take a bit of a backseat, and that's fine as long as the matches feel like they matter.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Well certainly a bigger show this week in terms of mainstream appeal. Bringing in some well-known names like Stevens, Anderson, and Cabana oughta help get a few more eyes on the show. I love the boisterous and organic promos a lot and think that environment suits those three well. It feels like character is gonna matter a lot here and workrate is gonna take a bit of a backseat, and that's fine as long as the matches feel like they matter.
    Agreed, Silk.

Here's this week's episode.

Banned Helping A Friend

Status
      Country                    Norway

Watched episode two and I loved it as usual.

DAMIAN SANDOW'S BACK!!!

Got a great Women's match, and I like the champion they have.

Trevor Murdoch showing up was a "Nice." moment from me. I like him and his style, but he lost to the better opponent in Ricky Starks in a good match.

Kingston/Homicide vs. Wildcard was a great match too. The ending left a lot to be desired since the Dawsons came in and wrecked the place.

Also Colt Cabana and Mr. Anderson as a tag team could work, even if I don't like Cabana as a wrestler.

Nick Aldis heeling it up in that interview is nice.

Overall, another great episode and I'm loving the one hour format.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

I'm a bit behind the train - go figure - but I watched the first episode at the behest of Jon. It's pretty nice. I dig the general vibe and aesthetic. Matches were good enough, liked the story of the main event. I can't guarantee I'll be sitting down weekly to watch it, but more options are always a good thing.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information