Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fight Night Promo Discussion Thread

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Re: Fight Night Promo Discussion Thread

Sterling Jagger: This was simple, basic and left me wanting to see more. I'm interested to see if you have a direction in mind for the character from here, or if this is just a one off, reactionary promo.

Cheshire Cat Clan: The big thing with these two promos, beyond the similar basis in "failure" and depression is the strength of both sets of characters. Jagger and then the CCC, they're very pronounced characters, very strong characters that have a lot more to them than just being Pro Wrestlers. Thats what leaves me wanting to see more from both these promos. Because the characters are there, they're loud characters, fun characters, there's a lot to them there.

XYZ: I loved how natural this conversation felt between X and Al, it flowed really well. And in a way the contrast between Al's enthusiasm and X's disjointed darkness/depression/I cant think of the right word, but the contrast adds to it somehow. Its more naturally flowing in its unnatural way with how X approaches the discussion. Really well written and constructed piece here.
    Last edited by ETE; 08-18-2019 at 07:20 AM.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

Everyone who is relatively new to e-fedding in the FWA and is trying to figure out creative ways to approach promos, how to intertwine their stories with their opponents' stories, and just how to write really well should read the Gabrielle promo.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    Everyone who is relatively new to e-fedding in the FWA and is trying to figure out creative ways to approach promos, how to intertwine their stories with their opponents' stories, and just how to write really well should read the Gabrielle promo.

I just reread it honestly...and I tried to rep it because of how enjoyable it was, but apparently I already did it the first time I repped it.

At the same time though, I hate it. In the same way I hate all of ETE's promos...Because every time I read it, I say "damn, I wish I thought of that".

Hail To The King

Status

My biggest gripe is that i think people except a long promo is better then short. I feel like you can good as much from a short one then a long.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Yup, but you also can show more range and flesh out your character better in longer promos. I've always said that around 2200-2500 words should be the mark. Not too long, not too short.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

ETE knocks it out of the park every time with his work, this one is no exception imo. Everyone did real well this show, grading hasn’t been easy for this one let me tell you.

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    Yup, but you also can show more range and flesh out your character better in longer promos. I've always said that around 2200-2500 words should be the mark. Not too long, not too short.
    Ehh I mean personally for me I feel like if I am writing a long promo im just repeating the same stuff or lose interest I rather hit my points and stuff then go on and on but I got a short attention span not to say those who have long promos bore me cause a lot of you really are good at it and much better writer then me but I like to keep my stuff short or seeing some that are short but I feel like its being held against vs. long promos. I think people get what I mean.

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

I wouldn't say its holding against you for doing a short promo, but you are naturally going to get more points for quality if you spend more time setting the scene and painting a vivid picture of what's going on in the scene. With the dialogue, to me, it's more about pacing and establishing tone more than anything else. Make me feel what you're feeling.

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    I wouldn't say its holding against you for doing a short promo, but you are naturally going to get more points for quality if you spend more time setting the scene and painting a vivid picture of what's going on in the scene. With the dialogue, to me, it's more about pacing and establishing tone more than anything else. Make me feel what you're feeling.
    Setting the scene is one thing. just I feel like more points get added for more dialogue you got. I seen few guys write great promos short and lose to longer ones. Penny is a prime example of someone writing shorter promo who writes great ones I love the Penny Character.

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I just reread it honestly...and I tried to rep it because of how enjoyable it was, but apparently I already did it the first time I repped it.

At the same time though, I hate it. In the same way I hate all of ETE's promos...Because every time I read it, I say "damn, I wish I thought of that".
    Damn, thanks guys. That means a lot honestly.

I guess it's just me being my own toughest critic but it's rare that I'm ever truly happy with how I've executed a promo idea. Reading things like this challenges this mentality.

On the topic of length of promos, personally I aim for 2000 words minimum. That's generally enough to set the scene, work the character and address the match/feud.

Quality over quantity of course, but there's too short. Like OMB I felt like both your promos this week had alot of potential there but were too short, for my liking. They weren't able to delve into the "story" enough.

Thread Information