Thread: The Great Wrestling War

Indy Talent

Status

The Great Wrestling War

Alright, so the title might make you think I'm talking about WWF v WCW or AEW v WWE. You'd be wrong. Well, probably right, because I don't know how great this is going to work out. I've never been real good at sticking to one of these. And this is probably the silliest thing I've done. So uhh, I could make a right cock and balls out of this, but it's an idea I've been playing with for awhile and this weekend I've finally had time to write up a bunch of segments and plan it out. Maybe it'll suck (probably this one). Maybe it'll all be good, but hey, let's see how it goes. It's also probably not going to be super realistic backstory wise, but ya'know, I'ma try. Love y'all. I'ma drip feed the backstory and some segments and then get into some hopefully sick shows. :D

--

Netflix announces Live Wrestling Project
    21 July 2019 - Netflix has announced their foray into live wrestling, with a twist. Executive Producer, James Reilly, gave a press conference announcing the project and laying out a few broad guidelines for what you can expect.

Netflix is looking to create a long form focused live wrestling show, taking athletic storytelling to the next level. The current plan - or so we are hearing - is that Netflix is paying for their talent to take acting lessons as well as fully funding an independent writing room to create the project. Reilly is also to serve as showrunner. Additionally, Netflix is seeking to air the product on a Thursday night, but with a video on demand available straight after the broadcast.

Netflix is endeavouring to keep subscribers by providing a live service, with additional rumours being that their new wrestling show being their ‘proof of concept’ for an all new “Netflix Live.” We can only assume that this would be a sports-focused concept, with other game-show like concepts mixed in. For now, this new wrestling product will be on the main service.

At the press conference, Reilly gave us a few hints of what we can expect:

“We want tension. We want competition. That’s why we’re doing this. We want to take talented superstars and put them in a position where they can show off both their athletic and creative talent.”

Reilly also noted that there would be few restrictions on budget for the talent.

“Talent is our number one priority. We want the very best and to do that we have to pay the very best. We have to make it rain, so to speak."

Additionally, Reilly hinted that they were currently in talks with a number of other promotions.

“Netflix has been great in allowing us to talk to whatever talent we need to talk to, that includes potential partnerships with some of the biggest wrestling promotions in the world.”

Neither Reilly or Netflix were able to give a firm start-date, but the end of 2019 and the beginning of 2020 were discussed. Netflix want to launch their new offering as soon as possible.

--

Wrestling Observationalist (Definitely not Observer) (23/7/19)
    ~ We are getting word of a number of WWE talent that is coming to the end of their contract that have been contacted for this new Netflix project. Additionally, Netflix has worked with WWE Studios on a number of projects. Reilly in his announcement did hint at the involvement of other big wrestling promotions. Perhaps there is talk of WWE and Netflix teaming up for this new project?

~ I also had the opportunity to sit and talk with Reilly after the press conference, specifically as to what he means by the term “athletic storytelling.” He responded: “Wrestling has always been about storytelling. There is a stigma that surrounds it as if it needs to be more simple for the audience to understand it. We want to take our audience and our talent seriously. We are in one of the greatest times for in-ring talent but they’re not getting the opportunity to really tell a story.” Reilly is obviously not taking a dig at anyone there. Might be sabotaging that WWE deal if there ever was one.

--

Indy Talent

Status

Re: The Great Wrestling War

James Reilly reveals more details about Netflix’s wrestling offering
    Here at the The Wrestling Project, we recently got the chance for an exclusive interview with the executive producer and show-runner, James Reilly, for Netflix’s newest offering, a live wrestling show. We’ve summarised the most important points.

~ The show will be called “The Great War” and will involve superstars from all around the world competing in an arena called the Colosseum.

~ Like traditional wrestling promotions, The Great War will have its own championships to compete for and an interesting way for wrestlers to earn their opportunities. Reilly also gave us some details. There will be a soon-to-be-named point system which will determine who gets the title opportunities. But it gets a little more interesting than that. Should they so choose, a wrestler can choose to trade any number of his points for money. So instead of having an opportunity to earn the money that comes with a title belt, they will be able to earn extra money just through wins on the weekly program. However, there seems to be something Reilly is not telling us on this point, as when we pressed for more details on how points would be handed out, he just smirked and told us to wait and see.

~ The Great War will debut in December 2019, as an end of year marquee for Netflix as they aim for a mid-2020 launch of “Netflix Live.” Netflix are said to be in conversation with a number of other sports companies to host at least the online portion of the broadcast. We will have to wait and see how that will work out.

~ Matt Striker and Stu Bennett will provide commentary for the weekly show.

~ The weekly show is set to be 90 minutes long, but as the show doesn’t have to work around natural broadcasting requirements, that time is said to be a little more fluid, at least until “Netflix Live” gets under way.

~ The Great War will host a big opening event, titled “Enter the Colosseum," as the first show, and will likely run for a longer period of time.

--

Netflix announces partnership between The Great War and New Japan!
    In a brief update, Netflix and James Reilly have today announced that they would be partnering with New Japan and to a lesser extent, Ring of Honor, for their wrestling offering: The Great War. While we do know that this will likely mean an exchange in talent, we haven’t got much more information on what this will involve. We do however know that Ring of Honor is involved in the partnership as well, which we can tell you was a key sticking point in getting New Japan to sign on.

--

BREAKING: A Number of WWE Superstars bought out by Netflix
    In a fascinating turn of events, we are getting word from our sources that a number of WWE contracts have been bought out by the video on demand streaming giant for their new promotion, the Great War. We don’t have names in particular, but there are a number of big names included - or so we are told.

The big question is how did this happen? Well, it would appear that Netflix and WWE Management have come to a deal that doesn’t even particularly involve the WWE. The WWE would have final say on the superstars that Netflix would be allowed to approach, but would provide generous buy out figures. In exchange, Netflix would agree to fund an undisclosed number of WWE Studios projects.

More interestingly though, is the rumour going around that the key sticking point for the deal would be the XFL being co-broadcasted to the WWE Network and Netflix Live! Keep in mind, this is a rumor, but it adds up with what we know Netflix is chasing, and they might have just been able to pull off one of the biggest deals in wrestling because of it.

--

Wanting to get the backstory out of the road for the most part. Because now we can get to the fun part. Let's meet some superstars...

Drifter

Status
      Country                    Philippines

I really like the concept. Netflix being involved in the wrestling business is VERY interesting. I can't wait to see who's in

I'm Willing to Risk It All

Indy Talent

Status

We open on a shot of stone chair, with ruins surrounding it. It is dusk, mostly dark if we’re being honest. A gruff, British accent rings in our ears.

???:
    I am PAC.

Straight to the point then. Well, in walks a man in his wrestling trunks, long wet hair and most interestingly, a crown on his head. He is PAC.

PAC: But my name is not what is important.

Then… why did you sta… questions for later.

PAC: I am king.

PAC sits on the stone chair. He moves back and forth to get comfortable.

PAC:
    I am conqueror.

Grammar…

PAC: And to be king and conqueror, you need two things. You need subjects, and you need realms to conquer.

PAC pauses, before smirking.

PAC: I already had the first. Now, the Great War has given me the second. I know of many great houses that are rising up to be a part of the Great War. Houses that are steeling themselves for the fight of their life. I, PAC, will conquer them all. I will grind them into dust. And when all is said and done: I will rule over all.

PAC pauses before rising from his throne, as we catch the first glimpse of stairs beneath him.

PAC: Together, with my great army, I will go forth and destroy every great house until only one is left standing, House PAC. And I, as king, will lead from the front. I dare you to stand in my way.

Pointing at the camera, PAC snarls before beginning to walk down the stairs. To his right, or our left I suppose, sits a dark, shadowy figure. He sits on the stairs. He has a cape draped over him, not allowing us to see his face.

PAC: My dark prophet… a necessary evil.

The man continues to sit with the cape draped over him as PAC makes clear his dislike of the man with some really fun facial expressions. He continues down the steps before he reaches two big man standing at attention. This draws a smile from the king.

PAC: My battering rams. My elephants at Rome’s walls. My... Giants...

He pauses, surveying the two big men, one dressed in trunks and the other dressed in more traditional wrestling gear. The first sports long hair and a large beard. He has no expression on his face. The other simply smiles, as if he’s happy to be described as an elephant. Not sure if it’s a complement.

PAC: These two men are everything you can imagine and more.

He stands before the bearded man, PAC touching his thumb to the man’s forehead.

PAC: Dain.

PAC does the same gesture to the other big man who doesn’t stop smiling.

PAC: Cobb.

PAC continues to walk down the stairs before reaching a man with shorter hair, kneeling before the steps as PAC stops.

PAC: And finally, my trusted knight.

PAC does the same gesture that he did to Dain and Cobb, with the thumb to the forehead.

PAC: Rise, Gable.

Gable does as his king bids him, smart man.

PAC: Together, we will conquer the world!

PAC begins to laugh as Gable moves to stand at his back. Dain and Cobb also move down the stairs as PAC smirks. No sign of the Dark Prophet though… ooo, a mystery. The ruins seem to quiver as the Youtube video fades out.

THE GREAT WAR
    Starts Thursday, December 9

--

First vignette. Introduces the first house and hopefully you get an idea of what I'm trying to go for. This one is admittedly, campier, than I originally intended, but I think it works for what I'm trying to go for for House PAC. Who's next though? They're not all this campy, I promise.

Freshly Squeezed Royalty

Status
      Country                    United States

I am absolutely 100% INTO this. This is like the things I've been trying to work into my stuff for years and I've yet to see it as well illustrated as that vignette just as a very campy thing that still gets across the wrestlers as wrestlers. Great stuff. However, one thing that I am hoping is that Dain and Gable only have the same last name/some alteration of the WWE name. Never been a big fan of that form of unrealistic stuff, but everything else so far has me excited. I can't wait to see who is next, and feel free to be campy as all hell because I adore it.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Pac’s vignette feels very Game of Thrones and I like it.

Indy Talent

Status

Opening in a mostly marble white building, we have a large group of tourists milling about. Our attention is drawn by the camera to a pretty blonde woman in a pantsuit. She has two helpers that begin to usher the group into a - well - group.

Samantha Thomson: Hello everyone, my name is Sam and it is my pleasure to welcome you to the Temple of the Gods.

The group murmurs excitedly.

Samantha Thomson: Everyone knows the tales of Zeus, Poseidon and Hades, so we’re going to skip past them and get to some of the lesser known deities that this temple is known to worship. We’re going to hear some fascinating, terrible stories of greatness, of creation and of destruction, so strap yourselves in.

The group walks through two big doors where several statues have been erected around a walking area. We stop first at a large, muscled man who has a large rock on his shoulders.

Samantha Thomson: This is Kratos. He is the god of strength. This terrifying man was a part of Zeus’ regime alongside his brothers, whom we’ll get to later. He was famously adapted as part of the God of War video game series. What many people don’t know is that he has a major rivalry with his brother, Zelus, god of many things, but for the purposes of this story, he is the god of envy. Now, while the two would get along at Zeus’ request, they would often be found trying to, for lack of a better term, one-up and get the better of each other. But if anyone messed with Zelus or Kratos - or they’re two other brothers - there would be hell to pay.

The group goes to move off, but they are stopped as a slender, black haired (well, the hair on half his head), man (for lack of a better description, it’s Jimmy Havoc) walked up with his hand in front of him. The man carried himself well, with poise, with the other hand behind his back.

Chaos: Hello everyone, it is your pleasure to be here today for the unveiling, no, the beginning of something great.

Thomson looks real confused, as she motions for her two helpers to come running. The group looks on as if this were part of the show.

Chaos: Ah, mortals.

Chaos, with a wave of his hand, sends the two men flying, hitting their heads against the statues.

Chaos: Unfortunately, my powers are limited. Thus, I shall not be able to give you the show that you truly deserve.

Chaos smirks - rather evilly.

Chaos: Oh, where are my manners. My name is Chaos. I am the creator of everything.

The crowd murmurs and there are some laughs. They should notta did that.

Chaos: LISTEN TO ME!!

The crowd quickly stops as Chaos seems to grow two sizes, and his voice bellows as if amplified by speakers around the room.

Chaos: You are mortals as I created you, I should not get angry now that you have outgrown my teachings. As I was saying. I am the creator. And I am the destroyer. It is time that this world comes to an end. Unfortunately, I cannot do that in this… state… that I am in.

The group of tourists begin to look real scared now, I don’t really blame them.

Chaos: There are groups among you that are dedicated to stopping me. They stopped me last time. They won’t this time. They locked away my real power. My true power. With my power, I could snap my fingers and end this world. I long to end this world. It is what I was created for. Now, I must - unfortunately - rely on others for help.

As if on queue, a large stone ball rolls past the back of the group. We see the stone breaking around the Kratos statue, as a large man (it’s Rusev) steps out from the stone, stretching and moving his neck. Thomson is on her phone as the doors open again.
    Four men, with handguns poised, come rushing in to the room. Chaos goes to move his hand again, but Kratos hits him with a strong stare.

Kratos saunters slowly up to the men, smirk on his face. They scream at him to stop and get down, but he doesn’t. They shoot.

BANG

BANG

BANG

Kratos goes down in a heap… no, not really. The bullets do nothing but anger the beast who picks up the first man, throwing him against the pillar. The… chaos (heh) continues on in the background as the suited up god of everything approaches the front of the group once again.

Chaos: Your doomsday awaits.

The video ends with Chaos walking through the group of tourists as we see shaken women clutching their husbands and others scattering. Thomson is on her knees, clutching her hands together, quietly sobbing. Chaos and Kratos emerge from the same great doors, an image we hold as it closes behind them this time. On voiceover in the video, we hear the English accent again in our ears.

Chaos:
    It is inevitable.

THE GREAT WAR
    Starts Thursday, December 9

--

So I actually had a few more fun ideas of where to take this, which involved some rewriting. It's turning into something more Lucha Underground than anything else, but hey, it's worth a try. The next one won't be coming in a month, it'll be sooner. I hope.

Thread Information