Country                    Ireland

The 2019 King Of Be The Booker Tournament - Discussion Thread

2013: Jon Snow

2014: Kilik

2015: Kilik

2016: Shock

2017: No Tournament

2018: Keefmoon

Currently, only four people can call themselves a ‘King’ of BTB. And only one has the distinction of being a two time champion. Now is the chance for someone else to join this pantheon of greats!!! It’s time for…

~~ THE 2019 KING OF BE THE BOOKER TOURNAMENT~~

For those who have participated before, or been around to see previous tournaments, this will be old hat for you. For anyone new or unfamiliar to the King of BTB, it’s time to get your reading glasses on…

Throughout each and every year, we witness exceptional work from everybody in the section, but this tournament is the chance for bookers to really break through that glass ceiling. You want to get noticed? You want more people to read your work? This is the place to make it happen. Impressing during this tournament and perhaps even winning the tournament is probably the second highest accolade in the section behind becoming a BTB Legend. Just ask some of the previous winners!!

Given the success of past tournaments, I’m keen not to make too many drastic changes. The tournament works as it is, so as a result, there won’t be any sweeping changes – just some minor tweaks here and there. Evolution; not revolution. To familiarize yourself with last years tournament to get an idea of what you can potentially expect;

Round 1
    Quarter-Finals
    Semi-Finals
    Final

Most of all, it takes commitment from YOU, the participants in order for this competition to be a success. There’s nothing worse than for a tournament like this to falter due to no-shows. If you sign up, please DON’T sign up on a whim. Please, be prepared to actually compete.

As always there will be deadlines which will be communicated as challenges are announced.

The Judging Panel

Wolf Beast will be joined at various points during the tournament by the notoriously hard to please Zoom-E and the returning 2018 champion Keefmoon to decide the fate of the entrants. Quite a panel if you ask me. And with Keef relinquishing the crown, it kindly gives everyone else a chance to win this year!!

How Do You Sign Up?

Simple, all you have to do is post in here that you are signing up. All I ask is that you make it crystal clear that you are signing up so say something along the lines of "Count me in, I'm going to take part this year" or something to that effect. All sign-ups need to be in by Monday, July 15th at the exact time of THIS post. So you have just over a week to sign-up.

You don’t have to have a current BTB. You don’t have to have EVER had a BTB. If you’re interested and you know you WILL partake, feel free to sign up. There are no restrictions to the amount of people who do sign-up however, I stress that you must NOT sign-up if you do not think you can make the deadline dates and must NOT sign-up if you intend on missing dates purposely (I would hope no one does that anyway).

Grading

The criteria for scoring is as follows; Formatting/Presentation (This means that you must present your entries in as best an eye-catching manner as you can, don't make it messy, look around the section and at previous tournaments for more on this). Creativity (Make something creative and original but keep it at least semi-realistic unless the criteria asks otherwise in your round, something like Cody Rhodes vs. Triple H at AEW All Out or Hulk Hogan attempting a Suicide Dive to the floor doesn't really fly as being super realistic). Storytelling (Can you get the point across that makes the reader really invest emotionally in the characters that you are writing or the wrestling going on in the ring?) and finally Description (Have you put in enough detail to ensure you have the best work possible or is there room for improvement? Have you described if Brock Lesnar is using his briefcase as a Boom Box or what type of pained confusion Johnny Gargano is emoting?)

How Do You Decide Who We Face?

Much like the past few tournaments, we will treat the first round like a giant league table. The bookers who get the top 8 scores will advance to the Quarter Finals.

The Code of Honour

This is vital. This tournament is for fun, we appreciate friendly banter but we do not appreciate bashing, flaming, mocking or provoking of someone because you did not like their entry or you do not like them. To put it simply, don't be an ass. IF you have an issue, PM each other, do not do it here. Or you can PM me and I can have a giggle before hypocritically telling you to grow up.

Also, BTB Legend White Rhyno made a great post in last years discussion thread that I think bears repeating again for anyone unfamiliar to the tournament or new to the section with some guidance and advice;

That being said, if you have never done this before...

* You want feedback? You will get feedback. The judges are great and could give anyone some nice advice. If you are desperate for reviews, this is ready made for you. (For at least one round anyway.)

*This is a great way to get a following. People that have done well in this have had some good projects with decent followings. I'd never read Killick's work until after this contest and am so glad I did. Who knows? Doing well at least get your name out there in a board that is becoming more and more crowded with great projects.

*It could be a great break from your BTB. Everyone gets tired of their project and dreams of other projects every now and then....for the iron soul loyalist that is resolute in his project; this is your chance! For the flakes, we live in this world!

However...

* Don't be a bit- Only one writer wins. Everyone else is going to lose. That is OK!!!!!!! Don't complain about scores. Don't take this too seriously. This is for fun. Have fun, learn, read other entries, and be creative! The judges have a hard job. Don't make it harder by being a petulant participant. You want a sure way to turn away some readers? Showing your ass here is a great way to get a jump on that.

* The judges need TIME to read, grade and add up scores. They have lives outside of our contest. DO NOT PESTER THEM FOR RESULTS! DON'T ASK FOR TIMETABLES! It's rude and self-serving. These guys are doing a very difficult and demanding job for us. It may take a while. If you can't understand this....just be quite or use pm. Another way to turn off potential readers. It makes you look needy and self-centered in some writers eyes here.

*The most important rule...... DO NOT FLAKE! Life happens. We get it. Just realize that your participation is a huge part of the fun. You are potentially ruining the experience for other writers here. It tarnishes the experience. I got in the finals one year because another competitor had to bow out the finals. Like I said, it was understandable and no one was "pissed". It did, however, make ending anti-climatic. If I would have won, it would have cheapened the experience even more. I would have felt horrible. This tournament is hard work for everyone involved. Please consider that.

*Lastly, the deadlines are hard. You are going to have to write a lot with very little turnaround. That isn't for everyone. Please look up at my last point and truly consider if you can honestly do it. If you are a slow writer, this may not be your thing.

The Tournament History

2013 Champion – Jon Snow
    2014 Champion – Kilik
    2015 Champion – Kilik

2016 Champion – Shock
    2018 Champion – Keefmoon

As people sign up, I will be editing this opening post with confirmed entrants so feel free to keep an eye on this throughout the space of the next week. You can also use this thread to discuss anything tournament related.

{Big thanks to Stojy, as I almost exclusively ripped off his opening post from last years tournament & ranthellacious for the kick ass tournament poster.}

ranthellacious
    2. Ty2J
    3. RatedR31
    4. RED
    5. Shade
    6. Hug Life
    7. TheSmilingDM
    8. EZ3
    9. Bigmc123
    10. TWG
    11. Baloocha
    12. Rasky
    13. LinguisticTurn
    14. roy mustang
    15. Woke Willis
    16. GJCLS
    17. Gardsy
    18. BattleTank
    19. Sykotic
    20. Tig
    Last edited by Wolf Beast; 07-15-2019 at 06:20 AM.

t h e o g

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: The 2019 King Of Be The Booker Tournament

Awkward. Just went on break and saw this a minute after it was posted.

All in.

Freshly Squeezed

Status
      Country                    United States

Put me in, coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Underdog

Status

I'm in!

-ICONIC-

Be The Booker

Status
      Country                    Greece

What the hell, I'm going to give it a try

#WC4Horsemen

t h e o g

Status
      Country                    Canada

Just actually read the opening post now that I'm off work. Pretty crazy that the winner and runner up of last year are out this year!

Indy Talent

Status

Good luck to everyone that competes in this. I'll definitely be following along. I can't do it this year, because I'll be offline for about 2 weeks on vacation, but I hope everything goes smoothly. Just running something like this can be very stressful.

Heel Champion

Status

I'm down. Count me in

Curtain Jerker

Status

I someone new allowed to enter?

Shoulder To Shoulder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TheSmilingDM View Post
    I someone new allowed to enter?
    Yeah, absolutely

BACK ON TOP

Status

I am IN.

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by ranthellacious View Post
    Just actually read the opening post now that I'm off work. Pretty crazy that the winner and runner up of last year are out this year!
    But is the semi finalist and two-time runner up out too??

White Iverson

Status
      Country                    Australia

I lost in the final four by like 2 points to Keef last year. Now you're telling me he isn't a roadblock this time?

In! About to pull off that redemption arc, lads.

Sometimes I write stuff on the internet and people like it (sometimes).

Indy Talent

Status

Im down to compete

Shoulder To Shoulder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sykotic View Post
    Tease.

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    UK

Count me in ... Might as well give it a go

Keep dreaming

Status

Do we know what the anticipated deadline for Round One will be? Just want to make sure I won’t have exams or studying meaning that I won’t be able to get something in.

I’m Not Booked!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sykotic View Post
    Do it.

Gutted real life circumstances mean I can't enter again this year, but excited to judge the later rounds. Can't wait to see what people come up with.

If anyone is on the fence about entering, let me share my experiences from last year:

Firstly, this takes up a lot of time. We're aiming to streamline it a little, but not by a huge amount. The deadlines can be quite tight and coming up with an idea, planning and writing can take a fair amount of work. People dropping out is the worst and kills some of the competitive spirit, so if you don't think you'll be up for it in a month it's worth considering whether you should enter.

Secondly, entering this was the best thing I've done since joining these boards. It was easily one of the most creatively fulfilling things I've ever done and would recommend it to anyone. Getting to really focus on one feud without having to remember that you haven't booked Stevie Richards for a few weeks is a really fun way of booking.

I'd recommend it even more for anyone who finds themselves struggling with the idea of sticking to one project for a long time. In my entries last year, I got to use Steve Austin, The Rock, Bret Hart, Mankind, Owen Hart, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Brian Pillman and British Bulldog, all of whom were retired or not with us by the time of my actual BTB. Getting a break from WWE 2003 and using other companies and timeframes was a really great way to recharge my creative juices without starting a new project.

So, basically, if you want to enter and you think you've got the time and energy to properly commit to it, then absolutely do. You won't regret it.

Shoulder To Shoulder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TWG View Post
    Do we know what the anticipated deadline for Round One will be? Just want to make sure I won’t have exams or studying meaning that I won’t be able to get something in.
    I’ll probably give about 10 days from when the challenge is posted (though it’ll be almost identical to last year’s opener if people want to get a head start) so I’d guess around the 25th or 26th will be the shut off.

Keep dreaming

Status

Alright sign me up. I’ll make it work.

Thread Information