Thread: Katsuyori Shibata

WAKE UP

Status

Katsuyori Shibata

In some ways, the Shibata case feels much like the Daniel Bryan case - significant time out of competition which can't be discounted, but his run while active was really strong.

It it both tragic and incredibly poetic that his final match was his best, and personally it remains by favourite match on the last half-decade, and Shibata's performance in it was phenomenal.

While active there are obvious parrallels with Ishii - felt different to everyone else in the promotion, brought the heat and violence on a consistent basis, occasionally felt a bit stale because he worked the same match style over and over.

The Ishii matches on the whole are very good - the main problem was the ran it too often and it got rote and too many guys tried to cosplay it after. Other highlights include the Sakuraba match - probably my NJ MOTY for 2015, and his NEVER title run where he got the most out of a bunch of over-the-hill vets like Kojima and Nagata.

There is a degree of sentimentality here but I think his 2.5 years out of the last 5 are enough for him to place with me.

Your Favourite Member's Favourite Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Katsuyori Shibata

For me he's gonna have to make my list because there's not been 50 wrestlers I've enjoyed more than Shibata. He was easily one of the top New Japan guys in terms of match quality from 2015-17 and he does have the match of the half decade that regardless of what people want to say about Okada/Tanahashi or Okada/Omega, is the classic we'll still be talking fondly of in another decades time.

He might actually have to be #50 just to be fair to only voting him in on 2 and a bit years. If it comes down to having a Shibata or Lesnar on my list, I'm taking Shibata. It's a point more for his thread I guess but Bryan's easily on my list.

Did you ever see Ospreay Vs Shibata Steve?

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

There's really surprisingly little meat on his bone for those 3 years. But the highs were very high. Really his standouts were against Okada, Nagata, & Sakuraba with matches against Goto & Ishii others rate higher than me & I'd give you but I'd probably take his KOR & Ospreay matches. Regardless you're looking at 5-10 great singles match. If you look at his whole run though you'll see that he actually came up small both years of his G1 run, really didn't stand out at all in his field. In 2015 his Block was far from great, but his AJ & Tanahashi matches were not standout, especially compared to 2014, his Naito matches (both) were extremely disappointing, & the Ibushi match was absolutely atrocious. In 2016 he was good throughout but overshadowed by others (YH, Elgin, Nakajima at his blandest, Nagata, etc.).

I always thought his talents were wasted in his return & he wasn't half as good as his original run outside of those brief flashes because of his stylistic changes. Sucks it ended how it did but 0% chance.
    As long as you remember me, I will always live within you. Not as a phantom limb or a phantom anything...As part of your heart. I will always be your angel of peace. So I know exactly how to finish...

Say..."Peace".

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Did you ever see Ospreay Vs Shibata Steve?
    Yes- didn't like it. Ospreay's fake badass shtick gives me Davey Richards flashbacks.

Thread Information