Thread: Gentleman Jack Gallagher

WAKE UP

Status

Gentleman Jack Gallagher

A couple of strong showings in the last month reminded me how awesome Jack is. Truly one of the best under the radar workers of the last decade.

The recent Ohno match on NXT UK was a really cool Euro/WOS style match with big vs little psychology thrown in, and he also had a pretty fun match with Gable on 205Live which felt like a better Juniors workrate match than what you'd usually see in NJPW.

Really, really versatile guy who clearly is a master of the British technical style, but can also work brawls and work WWE style main events.

Off the top of my head, highlights include:

- the first 205Live push with his matches against Neville being awesome
    - that weird British BattlARTS style tournament from a few years ago which he was the star of
    - the awesome TJP match from 2017 - still one of the best 205Live matches to date
    - the really good surprise match with Pete Dunne from one of the PROGRESS Xmas shows - probably Dunne's best non-WWE match
    - the Gulak match from the UK Title tournament

Every time I watch him he is never less than 'good' and I feel like a deep dive of his career would only raise his reputation.

Where he places comes down to how many opportunities he gets to show his wares.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Re: Gentleman Jack Gallagher

He also had a great match with Mustafa Ali in the Cruiserweight title tournament last year. Before I was sold on Ali, I was quite gutted Gallagher lost because I felt he had a really good heel showing in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

There was an awesome Johnny Kidd match at Progress in 2016 at the Lost art of suffering show. On paper seems like a throwaway undercard exhibition but it's a great match to watch, especially if you're a Jack Gallagher fan. Never seen anyone else pimp it but it's worthy getting the on demand (if you can't find the show/match online) on its own.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

The street fight tag he had with Gulak against Kendrick and Tozawa was aces as well.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Clint Eastwood Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Relentless Admin

Status

I think he also had the pick of the Neville title defences at Fastlane 2017.

From someone who watched 205 Live religiously last year, Jack wouldn't of even made my top half for roster members from that show. I really didn't like the team with Kendrick at all. Nice wrestler, but he doesn't have a prayer of making my top 50.

Relentless Admin

Status

or maybe he does have a prayer......

Great match with Gable this week which takes the moniker of best 205 Live match of the year for me. Before I cancel my Progress subscription I need to check out that Johnny Kidd match MC 16 mentioned.

Status
      Country                    United States

Based on seeing him a bit on the indies, in the CWC, the UK Title tournament, and trying to catch his more acclaimed 205 Live and NXT UK matches, I think I have to keep him on the radar. He's another guy who I will have to dig deeper into but it's conceivable I could put him on my top 50.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    or maybe he does have a prayer......

Great match with Gable this week which takes the moniker of best 205 Live match of the year for me. Before I cancel my Progress subscription I need to check out that Johnny Kidd match MC 16 mentioned.
    watch the Unboxing Dunne match too if you haven't already.

For my money, Gallagher has now had the #1 and #2 best 205Live matches on the show, he's gone from a guy on the bubble to a lock.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    watch the Unboxing Dunne match too if you haven't already.

For my money, Gallagher has now had the #1 and #2 best 205Live matches on the show, he's gone from a guy on the bubble to a lock.

Thats quite a stretch. They were great matches but havent touched Ali vs Murphy or Cedric vs Murphy
    Vayne, Fuji, Grim, Booty,Shock, Rainskaker, Nat, Hoho and Lghikas are the best!!!!!!!!!!

WAKE UP

Status

didnt really rate those matches as anything special. I could see maybe Gulak vs Ali as being up there though

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    didnt really rate those matches as anything special. I could see maybe Gulak vs Ali as being up there though
    I find both the matches i mentioned especially the no DQ between Ali and Murphy as the best tv match last year ( from all the ones i saw atleast)

Gulak vs Ali was good too though.

On Gallagher though...

Easily his two best matches i have seen.
    Last edited by indyfan; 07-18-2019 at 12:48 PM.
    Vayne, Fuji, Grim, Booty,Shock, Rainskaker, Nat, Hoho and Lghikas are the best!!!!!!!!!!

Relentless Admin

Status

Don't think I saw the Dunne match either.

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Thats quite a stretch. They were great matches but havent touched Ali vs Murphy or Cedric vs Murphy
    Those are great matches for me as well, but it depends what you're into. Steve doesn't like the modern day NJPW junior stuff, so to see buddy work his Ospreay/Omega hybrid moveset match is unsurprisingly not going to connect as well as the more subtle talents Gallagher can bring to the table. That's the beauty of 205 Live, you've got people that can grapple and have mat based stuff, and then you've got your flyers and nutty bumpers. I feel sorry for people who don't even bother to cherry pick the highly rated matches, they're missing out.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Don't think I saw the Dunne match either.

Those are great matches for me as well, but it depends what you're into. Steve doesn't like the modern day NJPW junior stuff, so to see buddy work his Ospreay/Omega hybrid moveset match is unsurprisingly not going to connect as well as the more subtle talents Gallagher can bring to the table. That's the beauty of 205 Live, you've got people that can grapple and have mat based stuff, and then you've got your flyers and nutty bumpers. I feel sorry for people who don't even bother to cherry pick the highly rated matches, they're missing out.
    I cherry pick the best ones and almost every week, theres a great match. Imo its the best WWE show.

Relentless Admin

Status

Just got done with a match I didn't know existed in Thatcher Vs Gallagher from 2016 Progress. Nice stuff, but I don't think it was anywhere near what they are capable of and it was a sad reminder of how underappreciated Thatcher was by British wrestling fans (myself included if I go back 3 years). He looked so out of place in banter city Progress wrestling.

Thread Information