Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Alternate History of The National Wrestling Alliance

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

NWA The Alternate History of The National Wrestling Alliance

The Alternate History of the

It's been a little while since I've done one of these, hopefully it'll go well.

Before you start asking questions...

It takes place in the 1980's, but I'm leaving it ambiguous on purpose so I don't have be locked into anything, it's an alternate reality, so things have changed.

There will not be a set roster, because it's during the "Territory Years" and it'll always be rotating. The announcers will be rotating, but I have a set couple that I'll be using more than others.

As it unfolds, my hope is everything makes sense.

Freshly Squeezed

Status

Re: The Alternate History of The National Wrestling Alliance

Will this be linear or jumping from story arch to story arch? Will we get pay offs in a row or will each show exist in a vacuum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WWF- 1991 And Beyond

Status

I am really looking forward to this. With the territory mindset, you can bring in virtually anyone you want, which is an awesome thought. Good luck writing man!

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Good luck with this dude!

"LET ME IN.."

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Memorial Hall - Kansas City, KS

Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes © for the NWA World Heavyweight Title

23:30 - A very tired Dusty Rhodes attempts a suplex of the top turnbuckle on Ric Flair.

23:45 - Flair adjusts his weight slightly causing Dusty to take most of the impact

23:51 - Flair rolls on top of Rhodes for the cover

23:54 - Rhodes has been pinned, Flair is named new NWA World Heavyweight Champion

24:00 - Ric Flair has his hand raised and is given the championship belt. He’s overcome with emotion.

24:10 - Two men are sprinting down to the ring and enter it at top speed. One man, slides under the ropes, as the other man climbs to the top turnbuckle. The man who slid under the ropes is identified as, Bob Orton Jr. He takes down Flair exposing his back. The man on the turnbuckle is identified as, Dick Slater. He launches himself and drops his knee across Flair.

24:25 - Dusty realizes what’s going. He’s attempting to get to his feet to help his opponent. Dusty is on one knee when he’s grabbed by someone from outside the ring.

24:30 - Slater and Orton continue their attack on Flair’s back. Taking turns stomping, kicking and dropping their full weight across Flair’s once broken back.

At the same time, Dusty is pulled outside the ring and hit flush in the head and face with a chair by former NWA Champion, Harley Race. Rhodes is busted wide open and as he’s hit for the fourth time, looks to be knocked out. Race throws the damaged chair to Orton.

24:45 - Harley Race is shouting to the audience that “No one is leaving Kansas City with his title, except him!”

25:00 - Race with help from Orton and Slater piledrive Flair onto the damaged chair. Flair is barely conscious at this point. They pick him up and drop him again with another one. Flair appears to be having a seizure in the ring.

25:07 - A woman screams, “Stop it, you’ll kill him.” Kids are crying. The three men all laugh. The bell has been ringing for help to the ring to no avail.

25:15 - Race comes down with what seems like the 10th piledriver, but its only the 3rd delivered when another referee hits the ring. Other wrestlers have finally gotten to ringside.

25:25 - Race and his cohorts leave the ring...with the NWA World Heavyweight title. They turn their backs to the crowd as they’re being pelted by trash and beer cans. They survey their handy work. Flair flat on his back, covered in blood, unconscious, being attended to by medical personnel. Rhodes finally getting back in the ring and being helped to his feet, also busted open and confused about what just happened. Rhodes sees Flair laid out, he looks and sees…

Orton, Race and Slater all smiling at him...Slater raises Race’s arm, as Orton straps the belt around Race.

Flair is placed onto a stretcher, strapped down with, a cervical collar around his neck.

Race grabs the house mic on the way out: "Look at your new World Champion...Him?...haha...or me?"

I’m Not Booked!

Status

I know you said you weren't looking for feedback particularly, but I wanted to let you know that I love the idea here. Really like the time stamps as well, that's really creative. This is a fun start, a super idea, and I'll certainly be reading. Good luck mate!

Mid-Card Champion

Status

The Aftermath

The fallout from two weeks ago

• NWA President Bob Geigel submits his resignation. He made a brief statement, “This travesty happened in my territory. I’m to blame for having our new Champion Ric Flair be severely injured at the hands of Harley Race, Bob Orton Jr and Dick Slater. I can no longer in good faith be president of the NWA. I must concentrate on my own territory, that’s quite obvious.”

• The doctor treating Ric Flair made a statement. “Ric has suffered very severe injuries to his neck and back. At the moment, he has a little feeling in his legs and must use a wheelchair to get around. He’s going through vigorous physical therapy as we speak. His previous back injury is limiting his mobility, however, his current physical shape saved him from possibly being paralyzed permanently. We have reason to believe that someday he will be able to walk in a normal capacity. Whether that is with a cane or on his own, but he should never wrestle again. How he was able to after his first injury was surprising enough. With the added damage, we see no way that will ever be possible.”

• At the moment, the NWA territory owners have agreed to suspend Harley Race, Bob Orton Jr. and Dick Slater indefinitely, starting immediately. Revoking their licenses to wrestle in every NWA territory.

• In the upcoming weeks, there will be a new NWA President named. To be voted on by the territory owners.

• The territory owners have stripped Ric Flair of the NWA World Heavyweight Title due to his injuries. A tournament will be held once the new president has been named. Details to follow shortly.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

NWA Wrestling Radio

Hey, we have a lot to talk about tonight. I’m your Humble Host and we’ll be talking about the turmoil around the NWA territories. Tonight we’ll be checking in with multiple NWA personalities so they can give their take on Chaos in KC. First, we’ll be in touch with the former NWA president himself, Bob Geigel.

HH: Well, Bob the floor is yours, what happened?

BG: Harley had wrestled earlier that night against Sgt. Slaughter. I knew he was not happy about losing the belt to Dusty, but I thought it was more about Dusty than wanting the belt. It’s obvious now, I was very wrong. Such a travesty!

HH: So, what can you tell us, as an NWA insider, is going to happen next?

BG: Harley, Orton and Slater are all suspended…

HH: We know that...we know there’s a tournament upcoming, but not until your replacement is named. Who is on that list of candidates?

BG: Let’s see, I think it’d be fair of me to say, Dory Funk Jr. would make a great president. Former champion, wrestling family, but Terry is still active in the Alliance, so, I’m not sure.

HH: Can I throw out a couple of names?

BG: It’s your show, you do what you want.

HH: How about Joe Blanchard?
    BG: Joe’s a great guy and a wonderful friend, but his son is in the business...we don’t want favoritism in the Alliance.

HH: How about Bill Watts?

BG: Mr. Watts was a great wrestler and is a great promoter. He’s definitely in consideration. There’s a name out there that you’re overlooking.

HH: I’m all ears, it’s not going to get better than right now.

BG: I’ve already said too much, thanks for your time.

HH: Aww, the fans are gonna be upset, but I get it. We’ll be back after this.

I’m back from the break...wow, it sounded like Bob Geigel wanted to get into more, but he stopped himself. I wonder if our next guest will have any input on that, as I welcome Mid-South announcer, Jim Ross.

JR: Glad to be here HH.

HH: Jim, Bob Geigel was on a little earlier and as we were talking about people that could replace him as president in the NWA, he slipped and said, “We were overlooking someone,” do you know anything I don’t?

JR: Wow, umm, that’s news to me. I’m not privy to the kind of info that guys like Geigel, Watts and the Crocketts get.

HH: What can you tell us? Anything about the upcoming tournament and how wrestlers will be picked?

JR: I’ve heard through the grapevine that any active past NWA World Champion will be able to get an automatic bid into the tournament if they choose to.

HH: That’s big!. That gives us, Dusty Rhodes, Terry Funk and Tommy Rich. That’s a Good start.

JR: Don’t forget Harley Race.

HH: He’s suspended though…

JR: Former NWA Champ, still active and the key words, “Automatic Bid.”

HH: Seems all the more like he strategically, orchestrated this attack from the beginning.

JR: Harley Race is a lot of things. Dumb is not one them.

HH: Thanks for your time JR. Our last guest will be on after the last break for the evening.

I’m back and we’ll be commercial free for the remainder of the show.

The last guest for tonight, but certainly not the least...I don’t know, sounded good at the time.
    We have the youngest man to ever hold The NWA World Heavyweight Title, “Wildfire” Tommy Rich!

TR: So glad to be on HH. Thanks for having me.

HH: I’m just gonna come out and say it Tommy, what did you think about what happened in KC?

TR: Thanks for giving me this opportunity to address the matter. It was horrible. I know all of the men involved. I’d never say I’m friends with everyone, but it was absolutely a planned action. I know I wasn’t the longest World Champion, but I did, at least get to defend the title. Ric’s technically not even the champion, though he pinned Dusty.

HH: I agree Tommy, but this gives you that second possibility of winning and then, having a longer run with the title. So, in a way, it does benefit you, with how this and let me use Bob Geigel’s word, “travesty” turned out.

TR: Well, I can’t deny that. I, and what’s the number for the tournament, HH?

HH: I believe it’s going to be 16, Tommy.

TR: Man, that’s gonna be tough, so many good and tough sons-a…

HH: Okay Tommy...we don’t have a censor on the show...hahaha. I’m sorry I had to cut our interview short with the former World Champ, but that’s why they call him “Wildfire” folks. Until next week...I’m HH.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

National Wrestling Night

Voiceover: What a night we have for you wrestling fans at home. This is your Humble Host from NWA Wrestling Radio, the narrator of your favorite hour of the week, National Wrestling Night. Before I introduce tonight’s host, let me run down the card for the evening.

With the announcement of the NWA World Heavyweight Title tournament, we’ll be having some visitors, new faces that may stick around and old returning favorites (depending how you look at things). One favorite and former NWA Champion returning is the legendary, Terry Funk. We’ll see him in action tonight.

Precious Paul Ellering bring his devastating team known as the Road Warriors back to the studio.

In tonight’s TV Main Event, young Brad Armstrong gets his chance to take on NWA National Heavyweight Champion, Kevin Sullivan...with the title on the line.

Right now, let me throw it to tonight’s host...Gordon Solie. Take it away Gordon.

GS: Thank you HH and what a night we have...without further ado, let’s get to the ring.

Denny Brown
    Vs
    Terry Funk

Denny gets a little bit of offense in, but Funk is just working off the ring rust from his flight over from Japan. Terry sets up Brown with a belly to back suplex, an elbow to the knee and then slaps on the patented Funk Spinning toe hold, until Brown can stand no more.

We’re going to talk to Terry after these...no, it looks like we’re going to talk to him right now…

TF: Gordon...how long have we known each other?

GS: I’ve known you and your family for a long time, Terry.

TF: Have you ever known me to be a liar?

GS (with a puzzled look on his face): Well, Terry...no..

TF (cuts Solie off): Then you know it’s the truth when I say...I’ve come for what’s rightfully mine! There are some great men coming to be in this tournament. I know Dusty well, he’s a great champion. Young Tommy Rich will be back and I’m sure he hopes to have a longer run than his first time. I held the belt for over a year, I know what it’s like to live with it, let it consume you. The highs...Gordon...there’s nothing in my professional life greater than winning the NWA World title, but there’s one man in this tournament responsible for my families lowest of lows and the cause of this entire mess and that ladies and gentlemen is, one Harley Race. He beat Dory for his first run with the World Title. Gordon, who beat me for the title?

GS: Terry, that would be Harley Race.

TF: You see Gordon, Harley Race, he’s the problem, he caused this horrible thing that happened to Ric Flair in what should’ve been his proudest achievement. Gordon, I’m the solution.

GS: Terry Funk, ladies and gentlemen.

Voiceover: Tag Team action after these messages.

The Road Warriors w/ Precious Paul Ellering
    Vs
    Rocky King and Mike Golden

The bell barely rings as Hawk clotheslines Golden off the apron, Animal kicks Rocky King in the gut and then power slams him. He tags Hawk who climbs to the top, while Animal hoists King in the air. Hawk flies off the top nearly separating King’s head from his body, then pins his lifeless body for the 3 count.

GS: We couldn’t even speak to Mr. Ellering it was so quick.

PPE (in leaving): There will be other times Gordon.

GS: Destruction now has a visual. We’ll be speaking with Brad Armstrong up next.

GS: It’s my pleasure to introduce you to, Brad Armstrong. I know your dad, Bullet Bob Armstrong must be proud and watching at home.

BA: Yes, I spoke to him a little while ago.

GS: You face a daunting task in taking on NWA National Champion Kevin Sullivan tonight, but you could shock the…

KS (coming from side stage): Did someone say my name? I feel that my name was mentioned or perhaps just thought about, it's definitely in the air.

Armstrong braces himself

KS: Now, now...nothing’s going to happen here. I’ll wait until the match...in fact...if the gentlemen currently in the ring don’t mind...I say we get going right now.

Rip Rogers and Gene Ligon...who were scheduled, agree, shake hands and leave. They'll be paid regardless.

BA: You know I’m game if you are Kevin. My dad warned me about you and I’m ready for this. I’ve been training my entire life for this very moment, a title match. I’m younger, in better shape and I’ve been taught by the best.

Kevin gets in the ring, takes his title off...just then, Austin Idol walks to the podium to speak with Gordon and Brad.

GS: Wow...Austin Idol is here, what do we owe the honor?

AI: Gordon...great to see you again. It’s been a little while, you’re looking well. Brad...I have a proposition for you.

In the ring, Sullivan turns around after hearing a familiar voice and starts screaming at the interview area.

AI: I know it’s your night and I respect the hell out of you and your family. But, I’ve been chasing the man in the ring for over a year. All over the great state of Florida and then he escaped me. He won the National Title somewhere along the way. I’ve finally tracked him down and have him in a ring, right in front of me. Brad, with your permission and with the promise “The Universal Hearthrob” will give you the first challenge, after I defeat this maniac…

BA: Do I have a choice?

AI: Of course you do! Gordon knows me and Gordon doesn’t associate himself with any ne’er do wells, right Gordon? (Idol doesn’t wait for a response and keeps going) If this match goes, like I think, actually...like I KNOW it’s going to go...you’ll be having that title match soon enough. Besides, if I’m unable to defeat the Court Jester of Darkness, you’ll get a title match with him next week right here on TV...that’s how this works right Gordon, you’ve got a lot of pull around here or something.

Brad reluctantly agrees, shakes Austin’s hand and leaves.

Sullivan is losing his mind, saying the match is off. Referee Tommy Rogers is explaining it’s a real title defense and is ringing the bell as Austin climbs the stairs.

NWA National Heavyweight Title

Kevin Sullivan
    Vs
    Austin Idol

Idol wastes no time getting the advantage, but after some back and forth, as well as Sullivan cheating, Kevin takes control.

GS: We have 5 minutes left in the match.

Due to the time limit for the TV show, going over it’s broadcasting time is not an option.

Sullivan knows the show will be going off the air soon and he’s stalling for all he’s worth.

Idol musters up the strength to hit a quick elbow smash and then transfers to a sleeper hold. Sullivan is trying to hold on, but Idol’s powerful arms are flexing and putting the pressure on.

GS: 1 minute left!

The fans are on the edge of their seats. Sullivan drops to one knee. Referee Tommy Rogers is checking, but he’s saying no, he’s still conscious. Idol brings Sullivan down to the mat, putting all his weight on him, still grasping onto that sleeper hold. Rogers raises Sullivan’s arm to check...it falls
    He raises it again...it falls again

GS: 10 seconds!

Rogers raises the arm one more time…
    Sullivan holds it up barely

The arm is falling

The arm is down and he’s out...Rogers rings the bell.

Winner and NEW!!! NWA National Heavyweight Champion...Austin Idol!!!

Both men lay on the mat for different reasons…

Sullivan, because he’s been defeated and is unconscious

Idol, because he’s clutching the title to his chest in exhaustion.

Fans are cheering...credits roll.

Author's Note: As of right now, the graphics are very basic as it's still the early 80's, I think it adds to the feel of the early part of the decade.

I’m Not Booked!

Status

Good start to this so far man, liking what I'm seeing. Promos are tight, the angle with Flair's injury is great, and you're doing things realistically slowly, which is a big plus for someone writing in this era. I will definitely be reading.

One thing that would make me an even bigger fan of this would be presentation. I LOVE that you're going with a stripped down style to match the era (honestly, that's awesome), but things could be a little clearer still, I think. Things like more clearly delineating between segments, such as when the match finished, who won, and how long the contest was. A little more detail setting up who is hosting the interview and who is there would be great, along with maybe typing out "Gordon Solie" just than "GS" (which I appreciate is a pain, but as a reader makes it far easier for me to read. Just a few small amendments would make it easier for me to follow what is going on, so I can continue to get as much as possible out of this experience.

But yeah, so far so good man. I will certainly be reading!

Mid-Card Champion

Status

NWA Press Conference

HH from NWA Wrestling Radio here at NWA headquarters. All the press from various regions of the world are here for what appears to be a big announcement. We’ve been speculating all morning on what it could possibly be. To say there’s excitement as well as some tension would be an understatement. Looks like things are about to get started, various owners from around the world are gathering on the dais.

Owners from NWA territories around the world on stage include: Bob Geigel (St. Louis/Kansas City), Fritz Von Erich (Dallas), Jim Crockett Jr (Charlotte), Don Owen (Portland), Stu Hart (Calgary), Verne Gagne (Minneapolis), Ron Fuller (Knoxville), Carlos Colon (Puerto Rico), Eddie Graham (Tampa), Bill Watts (Oklahoma), Shohei Baba (Tokyo), Antonio Inoki (Tokyo) and Vince McMahon Jr. (New York).

Bob Geigel former president is coming to the podium to speak.

Bob Geigel: Thank you, ladies, gentlemen, esteemed colleagues and press from all over the world. We have quite a bit to talk about this morning. As you all know, I stepped down as president of the NWA almost 2 months ago It all stems from what is being referred to now as Chaos in Kansas City. It was on my watch in my territory and though I’ve been told it wasn’t my fault, I take full responsibility for what happened and I’d never be able to live with myself if I wasn’t punished for the actions of those men. Enough about that, we’re here to move forward and name our new President of the NWA. It was near unanimous for this gentleman's election. Normally, we’d elect one of the owners from one of our great NWA territories, but we’re all getting older, have children entering the business and other business ventures, so we decided to elect someone who would be objective, not play favorites over where the NWA Titles would be defended and truly have a world wide alliance. It’s my pleasure to introduce the new President of the NWA, Ric Flair!

(HH Voiceover): Camera flashes nearly blind everyone. There’s a lot of shock, awe and whispering in a variety of languages happening. Flair is being wheeled out in his wheelchair, he does however look much healthier than he did when we first checked in after his beating in KC. Flair shakes hands with all the owners and hugs Geigel. Flair actually stands behind the podium to everyone’s astonishment.

Ric Flair:Thank you Bob, gentlemen of the NWA. It’s my pleasure to accept this position. My doctors have said I’ve made incredible improvement. I bet no one ever thought they’d see me stand again. It’s not without great effort that I do this. I managed a couple of steps and everything has started coming back, however, the doctors still don’t believe I’ll ever wrestle again. (Flair sits back down), they may be right, but I’m gonna bust my ass in rehab everyday and exhaust every avenue before I give up and quit. Professional Wrestling is my life, it’s in my blood, I love it and if I can’t wrestle anymore, I still want to be around it, so when this was offered to me...I couldn’t turn it down.

Now, before we open it up to questions from the press, I’m going to introduce to everyone, the 16 competitors of the NWA World Title Tournament. We’ll shall have two matches per week on our great program, National Wrestling Night. With the final two to meet at our first Super Show, which has yet to be named.

We’re going to have fans submit their best names and the winner will receive a weekend at the matches. They’ll get tickets, meet wrestlers, get flight and hotel accommodations. I want to take the NWA to the MTV generation.

Now without further ado, I’ll be introducing the former NWA champions who have accepted automatic spots for the tournament and then all the other men from all over the world. The first two matches will be announced tonight, with all the others to be announced the week before on National Wrestling Night.

Each man will walk through the curtain and be available for questions afterwards.

Here we go:

Dusty Rhodes, former champion and representing JCP

Harley Race, former champion and representing Central States

Terry Funk, former champion and representing the NWA

Tommy Rich, former champion and representing the NWA

Non-Former Champion invitees in no order:

Spoiler:

Ted DiBiase, representing Mid-South (DiBiase raises his gloved hand and strokes his beard)

Spoiler:

Bret Hart, representing Calgary Stampede (a quick waive from Bret)

Spoiler:

David Von Erich, representing World Class (the hulking David nods to everyone in attendance)

Spoiler:

Antonio Inoki, representing New Japan (Inoki stands up and bows)

Spoiler:

Jerry Lawler, representing Continental Wrestling (Lawler appears with a big smile, holding his crown)

Spoiler:

Curt Hennig, representing Pacfic Northwest (the young Hennig is very polite to everyone)

Spoiler:

Carlos Colon, representing Puerto Rico (Colon stands up)

Spoiler:

Barry Windham, representing Florida (another huge man walks through with a big smile)

Spoiler:

Rick Martel, representing the AWA (Martel smiles and shakes hands with Flair)

Spoiler:

Stan Hansen, representing All Japan (Hansen’s face is covered in chewing tobacco spit and snot, he’s given plenty of room)

Spoiler:

The Junkyard Dog, representing Mid-South (“Another One Bites the Dust” starts and people start moving...DiBiase is visibly pissed and didn’t know)

Spoiler:

Last but certainly not least...the man comes running out before his name is announced…

Bob Backlund, representing the WWF (Backlund’s shaking hands with everyone and I mean everyone, McMahon rolls his eyes)

One of these men will be the New NWA World Heavyweight Champion!

The first two matches on National Wrestling Night will be..

Spoiler:

Jerry Lawler vs Antonio Inoki and Carlos Colon vs David Von Erich. These might be first time meetings for these gentlemen!!

(Applause and camera flashes overwhelm everyone)

Questions???

Ric, do you feel left out of this?

Ric Flair: Even if I did, there’s nothing I can do about it right now.

Spoiler:

(Through translator): Why Hansen and not Tsuruta, Baba?

(Baba through translator): I need Tsuruta in Japan. Hansen will bring victory and honor back to Japan.

Mr. Race, since you’re responsible for all of this happening, how do you feel about being in the tournament?

Harley Race: I feel great. I mean, all of these men here should be thanking me personally. Most of these gentlemen would never get this shot, but they all do, because of me!

Just then, Terry Funk moves a chair trying to get closer to Race, whose just smiling. Tommy Rich and Dusty Rhodes grab Funk. Race leaves the stage laughing louder and louder.

Ric Flair: I believe that’s all for today...see you at National Wrestling Night. I promise each match will be top notch.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Error

Last edited by Mister Miracle; 06-24-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

NWA Wrestling Radio

Double H: Hey everyone, we are live on the air and we’re going to speak to new NWA President Ric Flair. That’s our big guest for tonight’s show. From what I’ve been told, Ric will have…

(Knock - Knock)

Did you guys hear that? Someone’s knocking on my studio door, but I have the On Air light going and everyone knows that you don’t interrupt…

(Knock - Knock, louder)

Okay, hold on a minute...I’m gonna go see who this is…

Double H gets up, cracks the door slightly to see who the annoyance might be when...Roddy Piper burst into the studio.

Roddy Piper (sitting down at the other microphone): Oh boy, I thought you’d never ask. Boy, do I have some questions for Mr. Flair.

Double H: Roddy Piper? What are you doing here?

Roddy Piper: Well, you see I umm...was nowhere near the neighborhood and thought I’d stop by.

Double H: And you’re here because?

Roddy Piper: You’re gonna be taking with Mr. Flair...that’s why I’m here! How come I, you know the Great Scot, wasn’t part of this tournament? I’m just as good as those guys. Better than most...Curt Hennig? How old is he? I don’t think he’s allowed to drink yet? Is Barry Windham allowed out past 10pm on a school night? What have those guys done to earn this chance? That’s what I wanna know.

Double H: Please don’t mess up my interview with Ric Flair.

Roddy Piper: Mess up? Naww...The Hot Rod enhances things with his presence. This will definitely be monumental?

Double H: We’ll be right back, at least one of us…

Commercial Break

Off mike, in between commercials Double H tries to kick Piper out.

Double H: Roddy, please leave...I’d love to have you on another night, but not tonight.

Roddy Piper: Well you see...I’m here now and another time is another time. There’s no time like the present and will you be speaking with Mr. Flair...at another time?

Double H: Well yeah, it’ll be once a month, but

Roddy Piper: But...nothing. I’m here now...Ric will be calling in shortly and we’re about to go back on air…

Double H: We’re doing what..

In 3...2...1

Double H: Ummm...we’re

Roddy Piper: Back on the air. I’m the Hot Rod...here on NWA Wrestling Radio with my co-host Double H. We’re waiting for the new President of the NWA, Ric Flair to call in, but in the meantime...let’s talk about the NWA, because that’s why we’re here.

Double H (getting his bearings back): Okay, Roddy...other than wanting to be in the NWA tournament, what do you plan on doing in the NWA? Hold that thought, we’ll have Ric Flair on the line...after this commercial.

Commercial Break

Double H: I'm back and I’m..

Roddy Piper: It's...WE!!

Double H: Okay, we...are very proud to introduce the new President of the NWA, Ric Flair! Ric, how do you feel?

Ric Flair: Before we get going...did I hear two voices? One that sounds very familiar?

Double H: The show’s been invaded by Roddy Piper, Ric...he said he’s got some questions for you.

Ric Flair: Roddy, it’s Ricky...how you doing man? Last time we spoke was back at that thing in…

Roddy Piper: Yeah Ric, it’s Roddy...I’m here on business. I don’t wanna talk about the good ‘ol days that we had at one time.

Ric Flair: Well, that’s too bad...we always had good times together. Let me answer Double H first….I’m doing better every day. I hope to get back into some serious training shortly. I’m going to be at the next TV taping overseeing the tournament and I’ll be there going forward until our big Super Show. Double H, I wanna have you start taking name ideas from the fans out there. Winner gets those tickets I spoke about and the weekend...

Roddy Piper (cuts off Flair): Yeah, about the tournament! Where’s my invitation, Ric?

Ric Flair: Awww Roddy, you know how it is...I’m not the person who set this up. The territory owners sent one or two of their guys to be in it. I don’t really have any pull….

Roddy Piper: (BEEP!)

Double H: Roddy, we’re gonna get pulled off the air...one more like that!

Roddy Piper: I apologize, but I get a little heated when I hear things that are bull...untrue.

Ric Flair: We’ve known each other for years and I’ve always been on your side.

Roddy Piper (Whips the headphones off his head and is screaming into the mic from a distance as he heads for the door): Haha...My Side...My Side...I’m gonna be there Ric...I’m gonna be there to check out my future opposition in person, do some scouting to see what I’m up against. See you soon.

Door Slams

Double H: Back after these messages..

Commercial Break

Double H is apologizing to Flair, who understands completely. He could spend the entire interview telling stories about the Hot Rod.

Double H: Welcome back...Ric, we lost our co-host...which I think is for the better. How do you see this tournament taking shape?

Ric Flair (with a laugh): You’re probably right. I see this as the guys who have been there before and know what it takes to be a champion versus the guys that are hungry for it. Guys that have had belts, but nothing as important as NWA World Heavyweight Championship.

Double H: Is there someone you like?

Ric Flair: I like all of them...I know I sound like a corporate shill, but I can’t play favorites. There’s a way that all of the men involved could win this tournament.

Double H: Even Harley

Ric Flair: Especially, Mr Race. He’s a great champion, we all know that. He’s a multi-time World Champion and a very dangerous man.

Double H
    : As you know all too well.

Ric Flair: Exactly, but what I mean more than the physical beating I took...and remember, there were three guys. That belt has become what Harley Race is...and without it...he’s lost. He’s become a desperate man. I think every former champion wants and would do anything to have that title back. Listen to Terry Funk or Tommy Rich. Hell, Tommy only had a couple of days with the belt before he lost it right back to Harley. I can see it in his eyes whenever we talked about the title before I got my shot. There’s a longing in all the men, but I think Harley can’t live without it.

Double H: We’ll have to see how the tournament unravels before we talk about my favorites. Since you’re going to be at the studio for the matches, are you worried about your health?

Ric Flair: I’ve got that taken of. I have a new...attendant…

Double H: An attendant? A bodyguard?

Ric Flair: Whatever you want to call it. I’ll be just fine...all the time. I’ve got time for one more question, buddy.

Double H: If you were in this tournament, how would you do?

Ric Flair: It’d be tough, but I think I’d do pretty well. I’d get at least to the Final Four. After that, it could be a toss up. I’ll be back to talk once the tournament gets underway. I know this is going to be a monthly visit. I’m excited. Take care my man.

Double H: There he goes folks, the new President..and there goes another episode of NWA Wrestling Radio. It’s certainly been eventful. I’ll be back next week, hopefully, alone. I’ll talk about the first two tournament matches...Jerry Lawler vs Antonio Inoki and David Von Erich vs Carlos Colon. It’s an International affair on NWA television this week. We’ll also see two tag team bouts featuring in separate matches...two masked men known only as The Technicians and Gary Hart’s new discovery from the Far East, The Rising Sons. All this week on National Wrestling Night. Take care everyone!

Author's Note: (Please message me 1980’s-esque names for a Super Show and you’ll get mentioned on the next radio show post)

Mid-Card Champion

Status

In tonight's episode we have:

The Technicians, two masked men trained by Boris Malenko. One's happy to be there, the other wants to be a star.

Rip Rogers and Gene Ligon two vets who were to be opponents, but interrupted last week by Sullivan and Idol, decided to team up

Jerry Lawler certified King of Memphis wrestling, looking to expand his kingdom.

Antonio Inoki, father of modern Japanese Wrestling wants the NWA title to go thru Japan

Gary Hart, cold calculated and many say brilliant mind for wrestling. One of the premier managers in the game.

The Rising Sons, Hart's new team from Japan. Mr Onita and Mr Fuchi, respectively

The Mulkey Brothers, two featured enhancement wrestlers. They try really hard.

David Von Erich, the first brother to go on excursion outside of Texas. Will he ever go back?

Carlos Colon, veteran from Puerto Rico wants to bring the title to the island.

Double H: Hello everyone and welcome to another fantastic night of NWA Pro Wrestling. I’m Double H and before I toss it to Gordon Solie and Jim Ross, I’m going to run down tonight’s action.

Tonight we’re going to see the debut of the masked tag team known as The Technicians, they’ll go up against the duo of Rip Rogers and Gene Ligon.

The other debut will be manager Gary Hart’s new team from the Far East, known as the Rising Sons. They’ll be taking on the team of the Mulkey Brothers.

The first of two NWA World Heavyweight Tournament matches will feature Jerry Lawler vs Antonio Inoki

The second tournament match is David Von Erich vs Carlos Colon.

An excellent night of wrestling wouldn’t you say, Jim Ross?

Jim Ross: Absolutely, Double H. I couldn’t be more excited to watch this excellent evening of wrestling, except that I get to work with the legend himself, Gordon Solie. How do you feel about the matches Gordon?

Gordon Solie: Well Jim, we get not just one, but two Main Event quality matches, plus the debut of two new tag teams. I think the NWA is heating up all around. Without further ado...let’s get to the action about to begin in the ring.

Rip Rogers & Gene Ligon
    Vs
    The Technicians

With Rogers and Ligon already in the ring, The Technicians are talking behind the curtain.

Technician 1: I don’t wanna wear this m
    ask for very long.

Technician 2: What’re you complaining about? We’re about to be on national television.

Technician 1: Yeah, but nobody knows who we are.

Technician 2: They will soon enough.

Technician 1: I hate that you agreed with old man Malenko, “wear a mask and your wrestling skills will make you popular.” How does that make sense?

Technician 2: Shut up, here we go.

Double H: The Technicians!!

Both teams trade moves. The Technicians showing that they really do live up to their name, displaying moves that are unfamiliar to the average crowd. However, the two ring vets of Rogers and Ligon manage to hang with them, just not as fluidly or crisp. More of a workingman’s, blue collar style, but still effective. They have control of the match.

Technician 1 yells audibly: “Stop screwing around!”

Technician 2 buries a knee into Ligon’s mid-section, then smashes Rogers in the face. He tags Technician 1, then their finishing move is hit. Technician 2 hits a quick snap suplex on Ligon and just as that’s completed, Technician 1 hits a running corkscrew elbow drop on Ligon’s head, then rolls over and hooks the leg for the 1-2-3.

Winners: The Technicians in 7:35

Gordon Solie: Once the Technicians got it together, they were extremely impressive.

Jim Ross: I agree Gordon, but what a match for Rogers and Ligon, they were right there with them for about half the match…An outstanding showing by them. After the break, we’ll have the Jerry Lawler vs Antonio Inoki in the first of our two NWA World Title Tournament matches...after these messages.

--Commercial Break--

Double H: We’re back from our break and there’s some confusion going on at Gordon and Jim’s podium position.

There’s some technical workers trying to get what looks like a wrestler to leave the set. You hear Gordon say, “I’ve got it...we’ll be fine.”

Gordon Solie: Let me introduce my new co-host to the audience at home, Roddy Piper ladies and gentlemen.

Roddy Piper (mugging for the camera): Hi there everyone. I told you, I’d be back. I always keep my promises.

Jim Ross looks confused.

Roddy continues: You (at Ross) can go now. I like him (pointing at Solie), I don’t know you...so, you can go.

Jim Ross: You can’t just come in here and take my..

Roddy Piper: I’m Gordon’s co-host now. I said, you can go...go to the movies, go home...I don’t care. We’re shooting a wrestling program and you’re interrupting...that’s very rude, sir!

Gordon gives Jim a nod, Ross throws up his arms, turns and leaves.

Roddy Piper: So Gordo, what’s up next?

Gordon Solie: We’re about to be joined by new NWA President Ric Flair, who’ll be here to watch the tournament matches.

Just as Gordon finishes saying that, Ric Flair dressed in a designer suit is wheeled out by an extremely gorgeous and buxom blonde, dressed in a nurses outfit. They take a position just off camera, but near the ring. The nurse leaves after Flair whispers in her ear.

Roddy Piper can’t help himself and walks over with a microphone.

Roddy Piper: Well, well Ricky! Look at you...still down and out.

Ric Flair: I’m getting better there Rod, be careful.

Roddy Piper: Oh really? What’s gonna happen? Is Bubbles, the nurse is gonna slap me?

Ric Flair: Not Bubbles Rod...But, Bundy will

Roddy Piper: You call your nurse...Bundy? That’s hilarious!!

Just then, an enormous man puts his gigantic hands on the shoulders of Piper. Piper’s head whips around and mutters the word, “Bbbb-BIG!” Piper scurries back to the podium with Solie after dropping the microphone. Flair picks it up.

Ric Flair: Rod, meet Bundy...6’4” Four Hundred and Forty...wait a second...did you eat lunch yet? (Bundy nods) Four Hundred and Fifty Pounds. If any of you guys out there want to get to me...you gotta go through him!

Double H: Up Next after the break, Lawler vs Inoki!

--Commercial Break--

Piper is still visibly upset as Gordon begins to talk about the tournament match.

Gordon Solie: Roddy you’ll get your turn after the match. Let’s get to the NWA tournament match as Jerry Lawler enters the ring with his crown in hand. Known as “the King” of Memphis Wrestling, he waves to the fans in the studio. His opponent, the man from Japan, the man who once took on Muhammed Ali, Antonio Inoki. To my knowledge, they’ve never met in a ring before.

Jerry Lawler
    Vs
    Antonio Inoki

In a classic brawler versus submission wrestler match, they went back and forth. Lawler wanted to shake hands before the match, but Antonio didn’t care for the smirk Jerry had on his face, so Inoki slapped it off of him. From there on, all niceties were thrown out. Lawler fired back with his famous right hand, dropping Inoki. They went back and forth with Inoki showing that not only did he know a lot of holds, but could brawl with the best of them. Lawler showed he was more than just a piledriver and a punch, by surprising Inoki with his own submission holds. After 20 plus minutes of action, we saw the finish.

Spoiler:

Lawler pumping up the crowd with a couple of lefts that had Inoki weary. Lawler throws the right hand, but Inoki is able to duck it and hit a kick to the gut.

Inoki looks as if he’s going for Lawler’s own move the piledriver! Lawler somehow kicks his legs out to block the vicious move, he then powers out and back drops Inoki. Lawler climbs slowly to the top turnbuckle, pulls down his strap, looks at the crowd and jumps off with the diving fist drop.

Inoki rolls at the last minute...Lawler’s fist connects with the mat...Lawler is hurt, Inoki transitions quickly into a cross armbreaker and Lawler gives up immediately. Lawler’s hand could be broken.

Winner: Antonio Inoki in 22:11

Gordon Solie: What an amazing match. Fans all around the world, that’s the type of action packed match we have in the NWA. We’ll be back after some commercials!

--Commercial Break--

Gordon Solie: Okay Roddy, before our next match, I’m going to let you have your say.

Roddy Piper: Thank you Gordon (Piper responds calmly). I’m going to address the NWA. I don’t care that I’m not in the tournament anymore. I get it. I don’t want it handed to me, I’m gonna earn my way here in the NWA! If I have to start at the bottom, I’ll do it...I’ll find a way to get on top. I want a shot at whoever turns out to be champion after this tournament. Friend...haha...not that I have many in this business or Foe...that’s better...I got plenty of those...I’m gonna be the champ! I ain’t going nowhere...I’m here to stay...I’m tired of being overlooked and I’ve either beat or wrestled everyone in this tournament! You ain’t got nothing on the Hot Rod. Looks like I’m moving in Gordo. See ya next week! (Piper leaves the interview area)

Gordon Solie: Jim Ross and I will be joined by Gary Hart and his new duo from the Orient in just a minute. What’d you think about our first tournament match Jim?

Jim Ross: Outstanding...what a fight. Glad to be back after..

Gordon Solie: Use caution there Jim, Rod could be anywhere and he’s been known to hold grudges. To the ring…

The Rising Sons w/ Gary Hart
    Vs
    The Mulkey Brothers

Just as the match gets underway, Gary Hart walks over to the interview area.

Gordon Solie: Nice to see you Gary, it’s been a long time.

Gary Hart: Likewise Gordon. (Looking at Jim Ross) I don’t believe I’ve had the pleasure (holding his hand out)

Jim Ross (shakes hands): Jim Ross, Mr Hart.

Gary Hart: Please call me Gary.

Gordon Solie: Gary please tell us about the two men you’ve brought from Japan.

Gary Hart: You see these two men here. Mr Onita, who is the ring as I speak and Mr Fuchi who awaits patiently for his turn, on the ring apron...they are like a fine wine. It’s taken both of them a few years to age to perfection. They have traveled the world gaining experience in different styles of wrestling. Whether it be Mexico, Canada or at home in Japan, they’ve learned it all and now they’re here to conquer America.

Once Hart stops talking we see the quick finish to the match.

Mr Fuchi hits an enzuigiri and the stunned Mulkey brother is immediately hit with a bridging fallaway slam by Mr Onita for the 1-2-3

Winners: The Rising Sons in 4:38

Double H: We’ll back with our Main Event, just after these messages.

--Commercial Break--

Gordon Solie: Our Main Event is about to begin as young David Von Erich heads to the ring. Jim Ross spoke to David briefly during the commercial break.

Jim Ross: I’m here with David Von Erich. David, first I want to say how sorry we are to hear that your father passed away a week before the event here. What will be done now in Dallas?

David Von Erich: Yes, it was very sudden. He had a heart attack while working on the farm. He thought he could do everything. Going forward, let’s see. Kevin’s gonna continue wrestling in Dallas. I’m gonna stay in the NWA thru the tournament, hopefully with the NWA World Championship around my waist.

Jim Ross: What about your other brothers?

David Von Erich: Kerry’s training for the Olympics and Mike will be joining the fire department.

Jim Ross: Are either interested in wrestling?

David Von Erich: Kerry, maybe in the future, but Mike has never liked it other than watching as a fan.

Jim Ross: Good luck, David

David Von Erich
    Vs
    Carlos Colon

The first thing to notice is Von Erich is nearly a foot taller than Colon. Colon is nearly a 20 year veteran at this point and has been in every known wrestling match there is. The two men go at it. Von Erich wrestling cleanly and Colon only cutting corners to stay ahead of his much younger, larger and athletic opponent. You see the fire in Von Erich’s eyes when he feels Colon has taken liberties.

The finish comes after nearly 20 minutes.

Spoiler:

Von Erich goes to deliver a high knee to Colon in the corner, but Colon manages to get out of the way. David’s knee connects with the turnbuckle. He falls to the mat and Colon seizes his opportunity to end it. He grabs the injured leg and tries to put on the Figure Four Leg Lock he’s won hundreds of matches with. David’s massive legs are giving him trouble locking in the hold.

Von Erich sits up in the hold and grabs Colon’s head, applying the Von Erich claw. Squeezing as hard as he can, he manages to break the figure four leg lock. He stands up while still grasping the hold on Colon’s head.

Colon wildly swings with punches. Von Erich releases the claw long enough to slam Colon’s head on the top turnbuckle. Colon has started bleeding and Von Erich quickly reapplies the claw...squeezing, as more and more blood is spilled. The referee calls the match as Colon can no longer continue.

Winner: David Von Erich in 18:47

Gordon Solie signs off for the night, but not before saying: Next week’s tournament matches will be…

Dusty Rhodes vs Stan Hansen and Harley Race vs Curt Hennig!!

Injury Reserve

Status

I enjoy your time capsule format and presentation. Unique era to pick. I'm keeping my eyeballs peeled.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

NWA Wrestling Radio has been cancelled...

However fear not, Double H will be added as a regular to National Wrestling Night. He'll do voice overs, in-ring announcing and sometime interviewer.

Drifter

Status
      Country                    Philippines

Really like where you're going so far. I was pretty surprised when I learned Ric Flair was left out of the tournament, but once he recovers, I'm sure he could be next in line for the title once this is over.
    Last edited by MakiSalonga; 07-10-2019 at 09:09 AM.

I'm Willing to Risk It All

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Expanding to 2 Big Hours!!!!

Tag Team Specialist

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Really enjoying this project for a variety of reasons:

I grew up in this era so its kind of neat to see your take on it. You've done a good job using old angles and personalities to craft your own version. Race comes off particularly dastardly, but not cartoonish.

You are using a lot of big names (Colon, Inoki, Lawler, etc) that I'm not sure were ever really featured on Mid-Atlantic or Georgia Championship so this is both new and familiar at the same time.

I know this is a simulation, but I can't help trying to nail down a year in my head. Its a minor annoyance on my part, but nothing really important on your end.

All in all, very good start, MM.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Right now it's around 1983-1985 or so...You have to remember I'm doing a worldwide tournament for the Title, at one time they were all part of the NWA.

Thread Information