Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WC's Fave Five Video Games of 2008!!

Status
      Country                    United States

WC's Fave Five Video Games of 2008!!

I dunno, you tell me.

As we've done time and again, it's time to count down some video games. From the lovely time we all in 2018, it's time to hop ten years into the wayback machine and see what you lovelies were doing a decade ago. There's plenty of great games to choose from as the 360/PS3/Wii generation was hitting its stride, but only five can reign supreme in our WC Hall of Fame. Which will they be? I'm giving you until Monday, May 27th at 11:59 PM to let me know. Send me a list of your fave five video games of 2008, and the results will be tallied by yours truly and posted up here.

Usual rules apply:
    1. North American release dates are used in the event a game was released at different times in different regions
    2. Ports and remasters are not allowed but remakes are. Please make sure you are voting for the original incarnation of a game or a complete remake of it. When in doubt, ask.
    3. Please verify each game you submit to make my life easier. Not everything on these Wiki lists are NA release dates or completely original releases, so click through to the game's page specifically to make absolutely sure your game qualifies. Sorry for the extra bit of homework, but I'll love you forever.
    4. glhf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_in_video_gaming

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2008_video_games

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Status

Re: WC's Fave Five Video Games of 2008!!

1998 > 2008 but 2008 is up there

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

I didn't even play/rate a bunch of the big hitters from this year and I still had no probs getting to five. Great year

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    1998 > 2008 but 2008 is up there
    Yeah, I'd also say '99 beats out 08.

But 98 is pretty much impossible to top.
    Everything will surely be alright.

People's Champion

Status

2008? 1998? Really? Id wager the snes first year or the second year was the greatest year in video game history.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    2008? 1998? Really? Id wager the snes first year or the second year was the greatest year in video game history.
    Let's go. You name the 20 best games from 1990 AND 1991 combined and I'll name the 20 best games from 1998.

Status

1. The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
    2. Metal Gear Solid
    3. Half Life
    4. StarCraft
    5. Resident Evil 2
    6. Banjo-Kazooie
    7. Fallout 2
    8. Spyro The Dragon
    9. Xenogears
    10. Sonic Adventure
    11. Parasite Eve
    12. Tenchu: Stealth Assasin
    13. F-Zero X
    14. Rainbow Six
    15. Brave Fencer Musashi
    16. Marvel vs Capcom
    17. Mario Party
    18. Star Ocean: The Second Story
    19. MediEvil
    20. Grim Fandango
    21. Panzer Dragoon Saga
    22. Pokemon Red/Pokemon Blue
    23. Thief
    24. Unreal
    25. Oddworld
    26. Rogue Squadron
    27. Crash Bandicoot: Warped
    28. Suikoden II
    29. Baldur's Gate
    30. Final Fantasy Tactics
    31. WCW/NWO: The Revenge
    32. Bomberman World
    33. 1080° Snowboarding
    34. Warhammer: Dark Omen
    35. Tomb Raider III
    36. Railroad Tycoon II
    37. NFL Blitz
    38. Body Harvest
    39. Warioland II
    40. Battlezone

That's all 1998. 40 notable releases that were critically acclaimed. Dont nitpick that list until you can give me 20 (!) games from 1990/91 combined.

Cardcaptor

Status

1. The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
    2. Metal Gear Solid
    3. Half Life
    4. StarCraft
    5. Resident Evil 2
    6. Banjo-Kazooie
    7. Fallout 2
    8. Spyro The Dragon
    9. Xenogears
    10. Sonic Adventure
    11. Parasite Eve
    12. Tenchu: Stealth Assasin
    13. F-Zero X
    14. Rainbow Six
    15. Brave Fencer Musashi
    16. Marvel vs Capcom
    17. Mario Party
    18. Star Ocean: The Second Story
    19. MediEvil
    20. Grim Fandango
    21. Panzer Dragoon Saga
    22. Pokemon Red/Pokemon Blue
    23. Thief
    24. Unreal
    25. Oddworld
    26. Rogue Squadron
    27. Crash Bandicoot: Warped
    28. Suikoden II
    29. Baldur's Gate
    30. Final Fantasy Tactics
    31. WCW/NWO: The Revenge
    32. Bomberman World
    33. 1080° Snowboarding
    34. Warhammer: Dark Omen
    35. Tomb Raider III
    36. Railroad Tycoon II
    37. NFL Blitz
    38. Body Harvest
    39. Warioland II
    40. Battlezone

That's all 1998. 40 notable releases that were critically acclaimed. Dont nitpick that list until you can give me 20 (!) games from 1990/91 combined.
    I can name a solid 20 more to that.

Let's also not forget that 1998 was great on ALL fronts. RPGs? Got em. FPS? Got em. RTS? Got em. Adventure? Got em. On PC? Yep. On N64? Yep. On PS1? Yep. Game Boy Color? Yep.

All over the place, perfect.

People's Champion

Status

Let's go. You name the 20 best games from 1990 AND 1991 combined and I'll name the 20 best games from 1998.
    lol

1) Mario World
    2) F zero
    3) Link to the past(which kills all your list of games combined)
    4)Final Fantasy 3
    4) WIng Commander (dos)
    5) Mega Man 3
    6) Kings Quest 5 (dos)
    7) Gargoyles Quest(gameboy)
    8) Pilot wings
    9)Ultima 6
    10)Secret of Monkey Island
    11) Mario Bros 3
    12) Ninaj Gaiden 2
    13) G-Loc air battle(arcade)
    14) Castle of Illusion Mickey Mouse
    15)Sonic the Hedgehog
    16) Street Fighter 2 (arcade)
    17)Super Castlevania
    18) Smash tv (arcade)
    19) Metroid 2 (gameboy)
    20) Lemmings

Mario world, Mario 3 , Sonic and Link to the past. that pretty much destroys your entire list.

Mines in no order.

But Link, Super Mario World and Mario 3 would be easy top 3. Mega Man 3 is amazing and so his Street Fighter arcade. Gargolyes Quest is the bomb

Ill give you credit for naming Battlezone though
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-20-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Status

lol

1) Mario World
    2) F zero
    3) Link to the past(which kills all your list of games combined)
    4)Final Fantasy 3
    4) WIng Commander (dos)
    5) Mega Man 3
    6) Kings Quest 5 (dos)
    7) Gargoyles Quest(gameboy)
    8) Pilot wings
    9)Ultima 6
    10)Secret of Monkey Island
    11) Mario Bros 3
    12) Ninaj Gaiden 2
    13) G-Loc air battle(arcade)
    14) Castle of Illusion Mickey Mouse
    15)Sonic the Hedgehog
    16) Street Fighter 2 (arcade)
    17)Super Castlevania
    18) Smash tv (arcade)
    19) Metroid 2 (gameboy)
    20) Lemmings

Mario world, Mario 3 , Sonic and Link to the past. that pretty much destroys your entire list.

Mines in no order.

But Link, Super Mario World and Mario 3 would be easy top 3. Mega Man 3 is amazing and so his Street Fighter arcade. Gargolyes Quest is the bomb

Ill give you credit for naming Battlezone though

No the fuck it doesn't. You are so out of your element it's ridiculous. You've proven time and time again that you don't know what you are talking about and at this point you are embarrassing yourself. The best game on your list (Link To The Past) can't blow my "entire list out of the water" when I have at least 5 games BETTER (Ocarina Of Time, Half-Life, Metal Gear Solid, StarCraft, RE2) so this is comical. Am I getting worked into a shoot here?

You have proven time and time that you are stuck in the year 1990. The greatest bands came from the early 90's. The best movie of all time was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) and you think the greatest era in gaming was the early 16bit era. You are so out of touch with reality and it wouldn't be so bad if you were humble about it, rather than treating your garbage ass, antiquated opinions as matters of fact. As old as you are, it's a wonder if you'll ever grow the fuck up

And if you want to be technical, Super Mario 3 came out in 1988 so you may as well cross that shit off your list.
    Last edited by Jiggy; 05-20-2019 at 08:48 PM.

People's Champion

Status

No the fuck it doesn't. You are so out of your element it's ridiculous. You've proven time and time again that you don't know what you are talking about and at this point you are embarrassing yourself. The best game on your list (Link To The Past) can't blow my "entire list out of the water" when I have at least 5 games BETTER (Ocarina Of Time, Half-Life, Metal Gear Solid, StarCraft, RE2) so this is comical. Am I getting worked into a shoot here?

You have proven time and time that you are stuck in the year 1990. The greatest bands came from the early 90's. The best movie of all time was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) and you think the greatest era in gaming was the early 16bit era. You are so out of touch with reality and it wouldn't be so bad if you were humble about it, rather than treating your garbage ass, antiquated opinions as matters of fact. As old as you are, it's a wonder if you'll ever grow the fuck up
    You know whats comical? You crying and having bitch fit in your flamingo shirt yelling at your computer screen. i don't apologize for anything sunshine. Why wouldn't i think the music i listen to is the best? why wouldn't i think TMNT is the best comic movie? I fuckin love it. Why wouldn't i think the best gaming era was in the early 1990s? by your dumb definition... More Modern = Best

I get it you were a little jiggy and probably didn't play video games back then. Maybe you never went to an arcade

And yes Link to the past and its impact at the time destroy all those games. You can type out "you don't know what you re talking about" all you want because that's basically all you got.

Ocarina of time better than Link to the past lol, Not really but i agree its the second best Zelda game RE hahahahahahah. Half life lol.

Now i totally expect the lollyPop Guild to rush to come defend you. They didn't play video games till the late 90s early 2000s as well. Maybe you re mad i actually provided a list.

Want to talk about growing up....... im laughing at you and you are fighting back tears of anger. over a difference of opinion. Maybe its time you grow up.

it seems you are fixated on people "embarrassing" themselves on the net. Dude you're name on screen just like everyone else. Thats all you are. it s nothing to be embarrassed about. i really don't care what you, Silk, Ed, Jon or anyone thinks of me. That's growing up.
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-20-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Did somebody call me?

Status

You know whats comical? You crying and having bitch fit in your flamingo shirt yelling at your computer screen. i don't apologize for anything sunshine. Why wouldn't i think the music i listen is the best? why wouldn't i think TMNT is the best comic movie? I fuckin love it. Why wouldn't i think the best gaming era was in the early 1990s? by your dumb definition...Modern = Best

I get it you were a little jiggy and probably didn't play video games back then. Maybe you never went to an arcade

And yes Link to the past and its impact at the time destroy all those games. You can type out "you don't know what you re talking about" all you want because that's basically all you got.

Ocarina of time better than Link to the past lol, Not really but i agree its the second best Zelda game RE hahahahahahah. Half life lol.

Now i totally expect the lollyPop Guild to rush to come defend you. They didn't play video till the late 90s early 2000s as well.

Want to talk about growing up....... im laughing at you and you are fighting back tears of anger. over a difference of opinion. Maybe its time you grow up.

it seems you are fixated on people "embarrassing" themselves on the net. Dude you're name on screen just like everyone else. Thats all you are

Jesus, you are so out of touch that you think 1998 (21 years ago) is modern. I'm 34 years old. I grew up with the SNES and the Genesis. My mother worked at an arcade, I likely spent more time there than you did. The difference between you and I is that I, like most people here that you seem to mistakenly think you are more knowledgeable than, I evolved, I grew. I moved on to the ps1/n64/Saturn. Then to the ps2/Gamecube/X-Box. I didn't stick with the generation I knew and loved while talking shit about a bunch of games I've never played. Which is what you do. I gave you a list of 40 games, I doubt you've played more than 5 (if that)

You didn't play any games in 2018 and there your simple ass was in the conversation all the while because even though this is shit you know nothing about, you can't stand not interjecting yourself into a conversation to flex your superiority. Your opinion is worthless because you are a liar. You have never played the games you talk shit about. You have never watched any of the movies you trash. The music, mostly hip hop, that you are constantly clowning on? You don't know anything about it. You are legit one of the fakest people on this site and I don't give a shit how much heat I get for telling you what a phony, vapid loser you are.

People's Champion

Status

Jesus, you are so out of touch that you think 1998 (21 years ago) is modern. I'm 34 years old. I grew up with the SNES and the Genesis. My mother worked at an arcade, I likely spent more time there than you did. The difference between you and I is that I, like most people here that you seem to mistakenly think you are more knowledgeable than, I evolved, I grew. I moved on to the ps1/n64/Saturn. Then to the ps2/Gamecube/X-Box. I didn't stick with the generation I knew and loved while talking shit about a bunch of games I've never played. Which is what you do. I gave you a list of 40 games, I doubt you've played more than 5 (if that)

You didn't play any games in 2018 and there your simple ass was in the conversation all the while because even though this is shit you know nothing about, you can't stand not interjecting yourself into a conversation to flex your superiority. Your opinion is worthless because you are a liar. You have never played the games you talk shit about. You have never watched any of the movies you trash. The music, mostly hip hop, that you are constantly clowning on? You don't know anything about it. You are legit one of the fakest people on this site and I don't give a shit how much heat I get for telling you what a phony, vapid loser you are.
    I never listened hip Hop?

Like Wutang clan, NWA, BEatnuts, MOP, Cypress Hill, Channel Live, Tribe Called Quest, Gangstar. That's all my friends listen to growing up. Im the one who didn't. i listen skate Punk. But don't know why you mentioned it.

And yes i have played games of 2018. Im playing NBA playgrounds 2 right now. What fuckin Grindfest, I played Spiderman(still not better than M AU though.)

Im playing Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 also but thats January 2019.

Just to be clear... just because i loved those old games i think and highly of them doesn't mean i never played other systems.

I said "more Modern = better"

Like i said i don't care what you think, but funny anyway.

Also you had another fit and im asking myself what's he so mad about .... because i said i d wager SNES first year and/or because i said Link to the Past blows away his list.

think about it..........

are you afraid that I know more than you?
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-20-2019 at 09:20 PM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Cardcaptor

Status

rofl.

I collect vintage games, and the house I bought has an extra bedroom for my game collection. I collect mostly stuff from 77-94, and even I think it's hilarious and obnoxious to try and consider 1998 modern and not vintage. Even I think you're coming off as an elitist douche here.

1998 is widely considered the best year in gaming history for a reason.

Status

I never listened hip Hop?

Like Wutang clan, NWA, BEatnuts, MOP, Cypress Hill, Channel Live, Tribe Called Quest, Gangstar. That's all my friends listen to growing up. Im the one who didn't. i listen skate Punk. But don't know why you mentioned it.

And yes i have played games of 2018. Im playing NBA playgrounds 2 right now. What fuckin Grindfest, I played Spiderman(still not better than M AU though.)

Im playing Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 also but thats January 2019.

Just to be clear... just because i loved those old games i think highly of them doesn't mean i never played other systems.

I said "more Modern = better"

Like i said i don't care what you think, but funny anyway.

Also you had another fit and im asking myself what's he so mad about .... because i said i d wager SNES first year and because i said Link to the Past blows away his list.

think about it
    I am not mad that you have a different opinion. I'm tired of you treating your opinion as fact when they are such bad opinions. You could have intellectually tried to make a point about Link to The Past being better than any game on my list (it's not but whatever) and instead you look at a list that has Metal Gear, Ocarina Of Time, RE2, Half-Life, just to name a few, and you come back with a statement so asinine as "My one overrated SNES game blows your entire list out of the water." It's that condescending douchebag behavior that I hate about you. If you are going to be a condescending douchebag at least be knowledgeable on the topic instead of talking out of your ass.

People's Champion

Status

I am not mad that you have a different opinion. I'm tired of you treating your opinion as fact when they are such bad opinions. You could have intellectually tried to make a point about Link to The Past being better than any game on my list (it's not but whatever) and instead you look at a list that has Metal Gear, Ocarina Of Time, RE2, Half-Life, just to name a few, and you come back with a statement so asinine as "My one overrated SNES game blows your entire list out of the water." It's that condescending douchebag behavior that I hate about you. If you are going to be a condescending douchebag at least be knowledgeable on the topic instead of talking out of your ass.
    You are speaking about intellectual in that flamingo shirt?

I kid i kid

...or am i....

You fuckin asked for a list and i gave you one.

Link to the past has a amazing story, is super fun. Way more fun than the ones you listed. Thats what i base entertainment on...how much i enjoy them. Thats all i need to provide.

Dont throw around douchebag when you re the one the one throwing the fit.

Look at you sitting there trying to pigeon hole me acting like you know me. I bet you re mad i gave some 2018 titles huh?

Grow up hes says. Put me on ignore and stop acting like a child if you dont like my opinions.
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-20-2019 at 09:37 PM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Status

My flamingo shirt is boss as fuck but if you want to resort to personal attacks based on appearance, you should probably upload a picture of yourself for the first time in the 8 years you've been here. I guess that would actually involve you posting something on here other than your worthless hot takes and anyway you'd probably tell me that I'm not old enough to appreciate your neckbeard or some dumb shit like that

Status

Indy I am not going to engage with you on this anymore because it's unbecoming of a staff member and I feel responsible for derailing Silks thread. Sorry for the things I said even if I meant almost all of it.

People's Champion

Status

Indy I am not going to engage with you on this anymore because it's unbecoming of a staff member and I feel responsible for derailing Silks thread. Sorry for the things I said even if I meant almost all of it.
    hey like i said it doesn't bother me at all. if you need to unload some pent up frustration, you can surely use me. I thought it was mildly entertaining

My flamingo shirt is boss as fuck but if you want to resort to personal attacks based on appearance, you should probably upload a picture of yourself for the first time in the 8 years you've been here. I guess that would actually involve you posting something on here other than your worthless hot takes and anyway you'd probably tell me that I'm not old enough to appreciate your neckbeard or some dumb shit like that
    yeah..ok

You had no problem resorting to personal attacks now you re playing victim. Its cool.... how millennial of you. Just kidding Jiggy

Is neck beard some sort of insult?

Yeah i have a beard. Not all the time. Sometimes i grow my neck beard so it connects with my chest hair. I look like a sasquatch . It sooooooooooo Boss!!!!! I also shave my head.

Yeah i don't feel the need to post selfies of myself for random people to comment on. Im not knocking you for that.
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-20-2019 at 10:20 PM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Thread Information