Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WC's Fave Five Video Games of 2008!!

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: WC's Fave Five Video Games of 2008!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    Ive dipped my toes into older games and I dont understand the appeal. I feel like I see the charm in a FF7, but I dont understand how its a superior game to the little Ive played of FF15 (maybe its got a better story?) or what Ive played of a Witcher 3 so far. Whereas some classic movies/shows/books can age badly as their tropes become way too common, and they just become nostalgia machines, there are a lot of exceptions that remain great no matter what. Older games just feel like complete nostalgia based. There are just so many games that look better and have completely refined the formula and improved on the gameplay. Stories are still 50/50.

And no, Im not saying this to start a fight about appreciations for older games. Im just saying I attenpt/have attempted to play them and I dont see how theyre better than the gluttony of games we get today. A lot of the big games you guys worship have been refined/perfected by fans like you who loved those types of games enough to want to do something new with it. The Stardew Valleys and Dead Cells of the world.

As for shitting on DLC and Games as Service, fair enough, but when it works it works. Im in love with MHW and if i could keep getting an expansion every year/6 months that would be awesome. If theres a game you loved on release, probably you wouldnt be mad if the devs released more of it over time. The guys who are into paradox games still get mad excited every time they announce another DLC to expand theyre already massively conplex games.

Which is all to say, manz gotta learn to appreciate games without shitting on other gan2es/eras.
    I don't think there's anything too surprising about someone playing a video game from 20 years ago for the first time with no nostalgia attached and being pretty underwhelmed with the results, especially if they're overhyped as a GOAT game like FFVII is. I think nostalgia in video games is way more powerful than it is in music or films. For me the only thing FF15 had over FF7 was graphics, but I remember at the time thinking if that 15 was someone's FF game, they'd think it's amazing.

It's only natural to think that best time for video gaming happened to be a time in your life when you had the plenty of free time to dive into them, and for most people that becomes some point in their childhood. For me the late 90s early 00s can't be beaten, but I'd be a terrible judge of modern video games as I don't have the time for anything too taxing or time consuming. I played maybe 2 hours of Witcher 3 and gave up as I knew I'd never complete it.

Will take part in this one Silk.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post

But nothing defined fun factor like the games from the early 90s for me. Most games today are play once and thats it.
    If you've played many modern games you'd see that couldn't be any further from the truth. I still play Overwatch, GTAV, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Xcom, etc. GTAV comes out with free DLC every month.

You dont like DLC and Online multiplayer but it makes games more repayable than any game 30 year old game with 4mb worth of content. That's not a matter of opinion but simply common sense.

I think there is a way to do DLC right. Rockstar does it right. Blizzard does it right. If you release an incomplete game that is 60% done and release the other 40% behind a DLC paywall like EA does, that's not the right way to do it. But you look at a game like GTA V, nearly every DLC is free and the online community is still growing 6 years later. It was a complete game upon release in 2013 (though online aspect was delayed a few months, it wasnt something you had to pay extra for)

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    If you've played many modern games you'd see that couldn't be any further from the truth. I still play Overwatch, GTAV, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Xcom, etc. GTAV comes out with free DLC every month.

You dont like DLC and Online multiplayer but it makes games more repayable than any game 30 year old game with 4mb worth of content. That's not a matter of opinion but simply common sense.

I think there is a way to do DLC right. Rockstar does it right. Blizzard does it right. If you release an incomplete game that is 60% done and release the other 40% behind a DLC paywall like EA does, that's not the right way to do it. But you look at a game like GTA V, nearly every DLC is free and the online community is still growing 6 years later. It was a complete game upon release in 2013 (though online aspect was delayed a few months, it wasnt something you had to pay extra for)
    Xcom.is a great game and compltely repjayable so you re on the money on that. I get the replayabilty with online arena types games. After BF 4 i dont think ill ever play one again. I need to be able to play bots on the full maps. Like Battlefield 1942 back in the day.

Gta V is a good game. I just got so annoyed with the delay while switching characters i stopped playing it. I personally love vice city and San Andreas the best.

I never liked fallout series. Im not much of a fan of choose your conversation type rpgs. I prefer the style of final fantasy 2 andv3 on snes. Or The YS series.

And i have no issue with free dlc. Ill take anything for free. I have no issues with expansion packs like Frozen Throne, or BF 1942 3 expansions.

Yeah EA is fuckin shit.

Also not a fan of online play. But yeah i guess i can see where the replayability comes from with that mode.

Size of the game is irrelevent. If i have no desire to play free dlcs or online because of any reason, then what does it matter as far as content goes?

Theres a response i get in my head and heart when i replay Link to the Past or Mario bros 3 or Battlefield 1942. . I dont get that from New games like GTA V or Uncharted 1 or 2. Its great that you do.
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-21-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I don't think there's anything too surprising about someone playing a video game from 20 years ago for the first time with no nostalgia attached and being pretty underwhelmed with the results, especially if they're overhyped as a GOAT game like FFVII is. I think nostalgia in video games is way more powerful than it is in music or films. For me the only thing FF15 had over FF7 was graphics, but I remember at the time thinking if that 15 was someone's FF game, they'd think it's amazing.

It's only natural to think that best time for video gaming happened to be a time in your life when you had the plenty of free time to dive into them, and for most people that becomes some point in their childhood. For me the late 90s early 00s can't be beaten, but I'd be a terrible judge of modern video games as I don't have the time for anything too taxing or time consuming. I played maybe 2 hours of Witcher 3 and gave up as I knew I'd never complete it.

Will take part in this one Silk.
    Yeah, I guess that's what I mean. The way people talk about classic games comes across the same way someone might talk about classic music & films which can genuinely be timeless. You can tell me to watch Godfather or listen to Frank Sinatra and its still fucking 10/10. If I go back and play those games that are really hailed in that same conversation like MGS or LTTP, there isn't that immediate connection for me where I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I still want to play them because I want to see what the fuss is about. Just playing FF7, even if I don't see the mass appeal, I'm also thinking to myself "I can't wait for the remake because a lot of the stuff happening here is going to look awesome/cute or itll be interesting to see how they do this differently with the gameplay having changed" (namely Tifa/Aeris/Cloud stomping their foot on the Don's bed as they're threatening to chop his balls off). I still intend on trying to put in time on a lot of the other classics as they become available (well of the genres I'm into at least) because they're sort of part of the "culture" I'm into.

I don't have a shitton of time for gaming myself. Being into a lot of different forms of entertainment makes it hard to really sink time into each. I've been playing Witcher 3 and dropping like 3hrs a week, itll take me more than a year to beat it at this rate. All the time I'll spend gaming is also time I don't spend on other things I'm into.

I'll try to get a list down for this tonight.

Status
      Country                    United States

Good morning, you have the rest of the day to get me a list if you haven't yet.

Sent from the Panthermobile

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Total Nonstop Silk: Reviewing TNA from the Moment of IMPACT
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

I honestly couldnt manage to do a list, despite my best efforts

Status

Alrighty, we got 14 lists, a heckuva lot of entries, and a tight finish, let's see how it all shook out.

Tie - 12th
    Boom Blox - 10 (Grim #5)

Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice - 10 (Zero #5)

Mega Man 9 - 10 (Baloocha #5)

NCAA Football 09 - 10 (Sully #5)

Peggle Nights - 10 (Smooth Jazz Wolf #5)

Peggle definitely the cream of the crop for me here. One of the better puzzle games ever made and Nights was a great expansion. Mega Man 9 and Boom Blox were also a lot of fun, the former of course being a nice continuation of classic style Mega Man, and the latter being one of the more underrated Wii games. I imagine NCAA Football was a lot of fun too, for as long as they lasted.

More tonight~!

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Total Nonstop Silk: Reviewing TNA from the Moment of IMPACT

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Hail To The King

Status

Disgaea 3 I played it a few times back in the day my buddy had it he said you need some serious hours to put in the game so I really never could really get involved. That said I liked the way the characters all look. NCAA 09 I prob played it back then and they were always better then madden. Mega men games I never played so I got no opinion on them the other two I never even heard of.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

Tie - 11th
    Call of Duty: World At War - 20 (Sully #4)

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - 20 (Silk #4)

Civilization: Revolution - 20 (Grim #4)

Devil May Cry 4 - 20 (Zero #4)

Pure - 20 (Sakura #4)

World At War was pretty fun for the Zombies mode, definitely a surprise to see it plummet so far after Modern Warfare did quite well in 2007. Order of Ecclesia is the last great Castlevania game and it's a shame it's already been ten years since then. Civ Rev is a pretty good console version of the Civ experience though I'd always prefer IV, V, or VI if you put a gun to my head. DMC4 is a great game like a lot of that series, and I don't have anything to say on Pure but I remember it coming packaged with a lot of Xboxes so there's that.

More soon since I didn't get you an update last night.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Pleasantly surprised one of mine hasn't gone yet, wasn't the most universally beloved game

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Status

Another batch, as promised.

Tie - 10th
    Crash Bandicoot: Mind Over Mutant - 30 (Smooth Jazz Wolf #3)

Dead Space - 30 (OMB #4, Jimmy King #5)

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 - 30 (Postman Dave #3)

Madden NFL 09 - 30 (Grim #3)

Soul Calibur IV - 30 (The Natural #4, Necro #5)

Don't have many thoughts on the post-Naughty Dog Crash games but hear that one up there was pretty fun. Dead Space is 2spooky4me but also hear great things. As for what I have played, Soul Cal is one of my fave fighting games and I got a lot of mileage out of IV, especially with the goofy Star Wars guys thrown in. Don't know much about specific Madden games but the series wasn't totally fucked in 09 if I recall correctly and I did buy this version just to get a box with a Packer on it. Geometry Wars fucking rules and I feel like a lot of folks don't remember how much that ruled the arcade for a good couple years. Excellent choice from Dave.

More tonight.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Justice for Smarks

Status
      Country                    Norway

Madden 09 didn't even have Brett Favre (in some versions) in the game but it was the best Madden Game of all time by a country mile. The best pure roster and gameplay with the best game modes.

Status

Soul Caliber IV was a late cut for me. Loved that game

Cardcaptor

Status

Would love to get more into Disgae games.

Have not played much of them (Nor Persona, for that matter..)

I should snag a Vita and a PS3.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

oh man I forgot to post this like two updates ago:

PEGGLE FOR THE WIIIIN.

That's all.

For this update, I think my internal bias might be showing. I wouldn't of even touched Mind over Mutant if it wasn't a Crash game, regardless of developer. But it does have some neat gimmicks to it, tried a few new ideas in the series. Not enough to land it above top ten on any reputable list, but fun enough for me to give it a solid landing on mine, maybe with a touch of fanboyism and nostalgia.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

Status

Tie - 9th
    Animal Crossing: City Folk - 40 (Baloocha #3, Silk #5)

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - 40 (Zero #2)

Mirror’s Edge - 40 (Sakura #3, Postman Dave #5)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 40 (Jiggy #3, OMB #5)

Tales of Vesperia - 40 (Sakura #2)

Couple big underperforming Nintendo titles. City Folk and Brawl are both awesome entries in their respective series, though neither is quite top of the line. Mirror's Edge was a really cool experiment and has held up surprisingly well too.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Mirrors Edge was by no means a masterpiece, but I liked the idea and the aesthetics a lot.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Dead Space was difficult but fun survival horror game with a solid story to it, and it gave us this moment that was absolutely terrifying:

Spoiler:

Brawl was another fun installment in the SSB universe and I remember I played the demo for Mirror’s Edge.

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy King View Post
    Dead Space was difficult but fun survival horror game with a solid story to it, and it gave us this moment that was absolutely terrifying:

Spoiler:

Brawl was another fun installment in the SSB universe and I remember I played the demo for Mirror’s Edge.
    I love the Dead Space games. I think that vid is from Dead Space 2.

The story reminds me of Event Horizon
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Cardcaptor

Status

Tales of Vesperia had a remake/remaster come out earlier in the year for all modern consoles. Definitely worth snagging if you never played it.

Of course, could always just snag the original for 360 quite cheap.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Thread Information