Thread: Discussion: The Lost Match - Bret Hart v Tom Magee

Status

WWE Discussion: The Lost Match - Bret Hart v Tom Magee

So the most infamous of lost WWF matches has been found, and they not only put it on the WWE Network but created a 30 minute special about it. Anyone with the Network can find it on there.

Anyone watch it yet? And thoughts/
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Re: Discussion: The Lost Match - Bret Hart v Tom Magee

It's a nice little match but even in '86 wasn't that special. Ohno was really good on the special itself and the best part of the show.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Status

I thought it was interesting, and a really good demonstration of how to make a limited opponent look good. That's Bret for you. But the documentary around it was indeed pretty decent for something that had to be put together quite quick.

Highlight for me was Harry Smith doing a pretty spot on impression of the Hitman.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

For WWE 1986, Magee's acrobatics were just insane. It's not on the WWE Network, but in his second recorded match against Terry Gibbs, he entered the ring from climbing the top rope and shooting star pressing his way to his feet to the mat. Had he had any sort of natural instincts for wrestling and succeeded, he would have stood out for decades even moreso than a decade later with HBK doing kip ups and dives.

Status
      Country                    United States

I was recently watching Survivor Series 1988, and there were some uncoordinated wrestlers as I was watching. Even if this guy wasn't the most natural in the ring, they could have easily made him a solid star.

Quote Originally Posted by Necro View Post
    I was recently watching Survivor Series 1988, and there were some uncoordinated wrestlers as I was watching. Even if this guy wasn't the most natural in the ring, they could have easily made him a solid star.
    That's the problem though. They didn't want him to be some random lowcarder like an equally talented acrobatic based wrestler like Lanny Poffo. They wanted him to become the top guy. Whether it's as a high flying lowcard babyface or as a musclehead heel midcarder in 1989, it was never good enough for the WWE. It's a shame. He stood out from most of the wrestlers and he did noticeably improve once he became a heel.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Just to put this out there: apparently, according to Fumi Saito, Tom Magee's Riki Choshu match during his All Japan Tour in 1986 had to be build up as an MMA Style match to protect him and wrestling to the Japanese audience.
    Last edited by MC 16; 05-17-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Name error

Thread Information