2015 - Jason Jordan
    2016 - Braun Strowman
    2017 - Braun Strowman
    2018 - Buddy Murphy

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: 2019 Most Improved of the Year Ongoing Discussion

Shigehiro Irie has really jumped out at me this year as someone who's really connected well on the European scene and I never enjoyed his matches before in Japan.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I just found out about Irie last November and have been in love since.

Kofi has to be a shout, right? I know a lot of it came from working with Bryan a lot and The New Day helps elevate him but he’s been putting on hands down the best performances ever in his career in regards to promos and matches. Really taking full advantage of a main event run.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I wouldn't say Irie improved. At least not to me anyway. He was great last year, had tons of great matches with tons of opponents both in Japan and in other places. The only thing that was sour around him was the booking surrounding him which was bad. That's more on the company (DDT) and their handling of Irie and the storyline/backstage stuff they were doing with him.

I'd go with someone like KAI. He was really uninteresting in most of his matches last year and he has really made strides in his performances. I think him showing up in DG where you have to be more expressive has really done well to improve that side of him.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    Kofi has to be a shout, right? I know a lot of it came from working with Bryan a lot and The New Day helps elevate him but he’s been putting on hands down the best performances ever in his career in regards to promos and matches. Really taking full advantage of a main event run.
    Ehhh. That all depends. He's gotten super over as an individual which might be worthy of consideration, I could buy into him being a better promo now too, but I can't say I feel as though he's gotten better in the ring at all. His matches are more compelling because of our investment in him, not because he's actually been good. In fact his first gauntlet performance was good but not great. His performance in the Chamber was fun but sloppy. I thought his second gauntlet was actually just straight up bad, botching a good percentage of what little offense he got in, and then the Mania match was yet again carried by the story and the steady hand of Daniel Bryan. I liked his match against/with Seth on the Raw after Mania though. As a whole, he is still yet to show any real evidence of being better in the ring than he has been throughout his entire career. Hopefully he has a decent title reign and faces some people who aren't Daniel Bryan so we can tell for sure if he's improved or not.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Agree with MC on Irie, he was already good. His matches vs Ishii & Higuchi last year were bangers, the rest sucked because of the promotion he was in.

KAI was arguably the best worker in AJPW during the tag league and his match vs. Akiyama in the Carnival was one of the best of last Year's tournament. He just wasn't used to any real extent in AJPW last year beyond the tournament and his title challenge against Joe at the start of last year which I liked but not as a traditional work rate match admittedly, but he has a history of delivering when given a chance.

Kofi's still not any good, sadly. Still wish Ali got his spot ultimately.

Nobody really stands out to me for this yet TBH. Some of the Joshi rookies have taken considerable steps forward but no one in particular is vastly improved I feel. Maybe Kaito? He's "improving" every show in his own way but also was great last year. Naoya is a fine shout too. His status has jumped up huge in 2 months.
    Last edited by Zero; 04-18-2019 at 05:50 PM.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I think it’s unfair to say Kofi “still isn’t any good”. I don’t think he’s taking everything that’s happening for granted and as formerly the biggest Kofi detractor here, I’d he’s on pace to have a career year and is really putting in the work with this opportunity.

I would probably trust Kofi in this position more than Ali.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Relentless Admin

Status

As I say every year, most improved isn't just who improved ability wise, it can be output of matches or improving in popularity as well. Buddy Murphy was probably as good a wrestler in 2017 as he was in 2018, but having regular matches in companies with easier access to fans allowed him to become someone everyone was talking about, and ultimately scoop this award. Irie has definitely been someone I've heard a lot more talk about this year and precious few wrestlers have had more good matches than him this year.

I'm not sure how anyone can watch Bryan/Kofi angle and match and say I wish someone else was in Kofi's spot. It's one of the best mania title matches of all time. The story doesn't work without Kofi and his 11 years to reach that moment. It might from an in-ring stand point be a better match with Ali by like 1/4 star, but you wouldn't get a tenth of the same crowd reaction from it and it wouldn't of felt as important because Ali had only been on the main roster a couple of months it would of come off as a inorganic super push that could of been rejected. Ali's 33, his time will come.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Kofi honestly hasn't shown anything in the ring for me to not agree exactly with what EC said. Most of his own performances haven't been special at all at face value, just over to the fans and working with one of the best wrestlers alive. He's been the third best member in his own group, letalone Ali and there's already signs this push is gonna turn out to be fool's gold in the grand scheme of things. Maybe he'll take off but pancake throwin' sloppy Kofi isn't gonna be a viable candidate for anything at the end of the year. Would love to see him prove me wrong because he stepped up at Mania and it was a special moment, but we should just take it for the moment it was, not try to pretend he's any different of an in-ring performer.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    As I say every year, most improved isn't just who improved ability wise, it can be output of matches or improving in popularity as well. Buddy Murphy was probably as good a wrestler in 2017 as he was in 2018, but having regular matches in companies with easier access to fans allowed him to become someone everyone was talking about, and ultimately scoop this award. Irie has definitely been someone I've heard a lot more talk about this year and precious few wrestlers have had more good matches than him this year.
    I mean, I do think there's a difference between working nothing but a bunch of live shows and being on a Network with thousands of subscribers. I'm probably public enemy #1 to DDT fans but I don't think it's fair to say he's more buzzworthy now than then, just talked about in different circles. And I get saying he's most improved to you since you didn't watch him, but I feel like if you did watch his matches before you might not feel he's really improved, he was just in a bad promotion, which isn't the same thing to me compared to someone like Naoya who nobody thought had main event upside for years and suddenly in 2019 has become essentially the golden child of a company and arguably the #2 commodity.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

If they keep it going and keep making progress I think the IIconics could nab this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JakeYourBooty View Post
    If they keep it going and keep making progress I think the IIconics could nab this

I don't necessarily disagree that they may be improving but I don't think they stand much of a chance with the widespread hate most of the IWC has for them.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

2019 Most Improved of the Year Ongoing Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree that they may be improving but I don't think they stand much of a chance with the widespread hate most of the IWC has for them.
    So we only go by what the rest of the IWC thinks here? No wonder I always get in disagreements around here.

Also for what it’s worth this is the only wrestling board or site I go to at all. My only other exposure is twitter and I rarely read people’s comments. I find the IWC in the past to be insufferable so I just avoid most of it. This is my happy....ish place.
    Last edited by Booty Love; 04-18-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JakeYourBooty View Post
    So we only go by what the rest of the IWC thinks here? No wonder I always get in disagreements around here.

Nah, what I'm saying is I think more people around here think they're shit than think they're the shit.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Nah, what I'm saying is I think more people around here think they're shit than think they're the shit.
    Which means that people with open minds should actually notice that if in 8 months they improve and not be so close minded.

Relentless Admin

Status

I wonder at what point IWC is gonna get retired as a phrase given 99% of wrestling fans use the internet. I'm guessing never as it's still a frequent term.

If Iconics end up having some good matches at some point this year and establish the belts as feeling more important than half the other titles (and SD is stacked with good women so that has a chance), then they'd be contenders cause they start at a really low point for me right now.

Hail To The King

Status

Biannca Bel Air shes someone I thought was an afterthought last year shes great now

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I wonder at what point IWC is gonna get retired as a phrase given 99% of wrestling fans use the internet. I'm guessing never as it's still a frequent term.

If Iconics end up having some good matches at some point this year and establish the belts as feeling more important than half the other titles (and SD is stacked with good women so that has a chance), then they'd be contenders cause they start at a really low point for me right now.
    I’m with ya I can’t stand the term IWC.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Biannca Bel Air shes someone I thought was an afterthought last year shes great now
    I've thought Bianca was awesome since she debuted basically. But if she gets that NXT Women's title and becomes a fixture on Takeovers she could definitely still qualify because I think we're only scratching the surface of what she can do.

Also I don't get the anger over the term IWC. I know it's been used a lot in the same way "smark" has to where it basically equates to nerds crying about wrestling online but I didn't mean it in that sense. I just see it at a term to applied to be people who discuss wrestling on forums/Reddit. The ones who pay close attention to wrestling, rather than casual fans who only have a surface level opinion on it and maybe comment on it on social media occasionally.

Ah well.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

Hey EC it’s all good man I still love you. And tbh it’s better than saying “smarks”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information