Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Worst Match of the Year Ongoing Discussion

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: 2019 Worst Match of the Year Ongoing Discussion

Would love to hear the argument that Goldberg/taker should win this in a world where fiend vs Rollins exists.

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Would love to hear the argument that Goldberg/taker should win this in a world where fiend vs Rollins exists.
    Easy argument for me, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Status

I think if you take both matches in a vacuum I could see someone saying Taker/Goldberg was a fundamentally worse match, but when you consider the booking ramifications and how this could be the worst character assassination since Cena broke The Nexus at Summerslam, it's gonna be a hard one to compare to the overall meaningless Blood Money match.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

WAKE UP

Status

The only thing wrong with Taker vs Goldberg was the 2 botches. Otherwise it was a fine legends match that was well laid out and sent fans home happy. Both guys have more presence in their little finger than Seth Rollins does in his entire body.

Rollins vs Fiend was legit one of the worst WWE main events ever, this is a no contest.

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    The only thing wrong with Taker vs Goldberg was the 2 botches. Otherwise it was a fine legends match that was well laid out and sent fans home happy. Both guys have more presence in their little finger than Seth Rollins does in his entire body.

Rollins vs Fiend was legit one of the worst WWE main events ever, this is a no contest.
    Booking I agree. I think Rollins vs. Fiend is def a huge let down but, I think Seth is much better then you are giving him credit for it wasn't really his fault in that match nor Wyatt they did the best to sell the feud. I think Strowman vs. Wyatt would of been much much better

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I think if you take both matches in a vacuum I could see someone saying Taker/Goldberg was a fundamentally worse match, but when you consider the booking ramifications and how this could be the worst character assassination since Cena broke The Nexus at Summerslam, it's gonna be a hard one to compare to the overall meaningless Blood Money match.
    I fully get this argument. Personally I will never watch Goldberg vs. Taker again. It was hard to watch and a hell of a reach by anyone trying to say there were redeeming qualities to it if you ask me. It sucked. Rollins vs. Fiend was stupid and wrestlecrappy, particularly with the introduction of the gimmick mallet and the DQ ending being about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. But I can say I at least enjoyed most of the hardcore spots of the match and Rollins bumping around for The Fiend. I guess we'll just have to see what happens in the aftermath because I think people are jumping the gun by pronouncing The Fiend character dead after this one heavily protected loss. But we'll see.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Greece

Rollins vs. Fiend over Goldberg vs. Taker if only because Goldberg and Taker were incapable of putting together a quality match at this point in their respective careers. Their clash was always going to be a mess and nothing could have changed that. Fiend/Rollins could have been an all out brawl that most people could enjoy but it was a booking mess and its finish made zero sense. Unlike the legends match, this was much more anticipated by fans given Fiend's rising popularity and ended up being a huge disappointment.

Fiend vs. Rollins wins here easily. Hands down the worst match of the year so far.

#WC4Horsemen

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I fully get this argument. Personally I will never watch Goldberg vs. Taker again. It was hard to watch and a hell of a reach by anyone trying to say there were redeeming qualities to it if you ask me. It sucked. Rollins vs. Fiend was stupid and wrestlecrappy, particularly with the introduction of the gimmick mallet and the DQ ending being about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. But I can say I at least enjoyed most of the hardcore spots of the match and Rollins bumping around for The Fiend. I guess we'll just have to see what happens in the aftermath because I think people are jumping the gun by pronouncing The Fiend character dead after this one heavily protected loss. But we'll see.
    I mean if it was DQ wouldn't Rollins tech loss?

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    I suppose that it technically true as well. But it doesn't make it any less stupid. And in the viewer's mind, Rollins got over because he kept his title and beat the shit out of The Fiend to the point the match had to be stopped.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Greece

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Through WWE logic it was a DQ because the referee stopped the match. Through actual logic, Rollins won by KO because Wyatt died/couldn't continue. But they can't have Rollins win because Wyatt can't continue only for Wyatt to just get up and fuck him up, so there's that.

#WC4Horsemen

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Fiend Vs Rollins is a front runner but I may give it a pass because of how hilarious the whole thing was.

I'd be much more tempted to go for a Cole Vs Gargano wankfest I think. That didn't even have the luxury of being unintentionally funny.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I still lean towards Cole vs Gargano I. Fair less entertainment value than Wyatt vs Rollins.

R.I.P. Lionheart

Status
    Tannadice Park, Now Residing at The Emirates
      Country                    Scotland

Absolutely Cole vs Gargano 3 Stages of Hell for me

Impact 2014: Rebranding When It Mattered
    Vinny Ru's Black & Red Kru: WCW 2000.....Help.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    Absolutely Cole vs Gargano 3 Stages of Hell for me
    The last fall of the match was awful but the first two falls were okay. Perfunctory at the very worst.

Relentless Admin

Status

Even if I wasn’t a fan of the Gargano/Cole style, I can still understand why WWE ran that match when there’s a market for it and it was well received by their fanbase. Fiend/Rollins both sucked as a match and from a business standpoint given how rejected it was by the live crowd and how bad it made WWE look.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Easily Taker vs Goldberg for me, it was a complete shit show where I don't think anyone found any enjoyment.

To my surprise- I know a few people that liked the ending of the Fiend/Rollins match and are believing in fan theories of what's to come next and so on. So, yeah.

"LET ME IN.."

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Deco90 View Post
    Easily Taker vs Goldberg for me, it was a complete shit show where I don't think anyone found any enjoyment.

To my surprise- I know a few people that liked the ending of the Fiend/Rollins match and are believing in fan theories of what's to come next and so on. So, yeah.

I didn't hate the ending, especially now knowing the end was listed as a referee stoppage. I mean, Fiend or not, Hell in a Cell or not, a sledgehammer to the skull is a perfectly adequate reason to stop a match. Now, I'll totally accept that The Fiend just crushing Rollins would have been a better way to go, but I can't agree with the amount of hate this match has gotten.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I didn't hate the ending, especially now knowing the end was listed as a referee stoppage. I mean, Fiend or not, Hell in a Cell or not, a sledgehammer to the skull is a perfectly adequate reason to stop a match. Now, I'll totally accept that The Fiend just crushing Rollins would have been a better way to go, but I can't agree with the amount of hate this match has gotten.
    It's a fair argument to be made dude. Admittedly while watching it- I hated it and I was hating on the ending and I was actually annoyed because like you said- Fiend winning was the way to go. WWE could have got there how they wanted and went around the houses with it so to speak but Fiend had to win in my eyes and in the eyes of many..

BUT, like you just said dude- I've heard a few people say the same thing! Some people liked the fact that it was a little hokey and different to the norm. Some people liked the violence and the throw back to the attitude era days which is something they could have totally done back then. I've heard some people say how they liked it was kind of a halloween homage and had a so bad it's good kind of horror film vibe to it. Ultimately- everyone has different opinions and I can respect that completely. I don't think it's fair to throw this up as the worst match of the year based solely on the booking and because it didn't go the way a lot of people wanted it too- espcially when you have something like Taker/Goldberg which was just a mess and very dangeorus to say the least.

"LET ME IN.."

Scoundrel

Status

Just watched Fiend vs Rollins, and there is no way that it is anywhere near as bad as Goldberg vs Taker.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Yeah I may give Rollins and Bray a pass for at least being hilarious. It provided a great wrestlecrap moment that will be remembered for years to come.

Taker/Goldberg was just sad and depressing to watch.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information