Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 and Racing R US Discussion Thread

BIG KAIJU~

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Formula 1 and Racing R US Discussion Thread

This might be for Mikk and myself, but after watching F1: Drive to Survive on Netflix I'm taking a shot in watching F1 long term! You can use this Thread for all Racing including F1, Nascar, and everything in between.

Charles Leclerc the young 21 year old takes pole for The Bahrain Grand Prix tomorrow and Daniel Ricciardo at 11th oh boy!

Real Women of Genius

The place to see the best of best of Women's Wrestling from all over the World

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: Formula 1 and Racing R US Discussion Thread

Where was this Ferrari in Melbourne? Be great to see them get a win here just to stop Hamilton running away with it yet again.
    I have a plan so cunning......

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Daniel Ricciardo at 11th makes me chuckle. I really got behind him in the Series Drive to Survive, but I didn't agree with his decision to leave Red Bull after the problems Renault had with their Engines. Daniel knew it was a huge friction that lead to Red Bull not wanting them supplying them with their Engines etc anymore and he goes there because the guy in charge tells you things are going to be amazing going into the future come on man.

Real Women of Genius

Say My Name

Status
      Country                    England

Why is this in North American Sports?

Quite a comeback from Ferrari. Cannot wait for Charles Leclerc to outshine Sebastian Vettel this year.

It is going to be just like when he was at Red Bull alongside Daniel Ricciardo.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    Why is this in North American Sports?

Quite a comeback from Ferrari. Cannot wait for Charles Leclerc to outshine Sebastian Vettel this year.

It is going to be just like when he was at Red Bull alongside Daniel Ricciardo.
    Yeah I was deciding whether to put it here or European Sports, but I did say Nascar could be talked about as well so I don't know lol.

So Haas and Renault are going to be punchlines and be the laughing stock again? At least Haas turned the corner the end of the Season though.
    Last edited by Kairi HoHo; 03-30-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Real Women of Genius

I’m Not Booked!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Daniel Ricciardo at 11th makes me chuckle. I really got behind him in the Series Drive to Survive, but I didn't agree with his decision to leave Red Bull after the problems Renault had with their Engines. Daniel knew it was a huge friction that lead to Red Bull not wanting them supplying them with their Engines etc anymore and he goes there because the guy in charge tells you things are going to be amazing going into the future come on man.
    I really enjoyed the doc, but there were a lot of instances of pushing the narrative over telling the full story, and Ricciardo moving was one of them.

With Ricciardo, the main reason he left for Renault is that there is a massive regulation change in 2021. The last time that happened, Mercedes went from a midpack team to ultra-dominant practically overnight. Lewis Hamilton saw it was about to happen and jumped a couple of years before that, knowing he'd have a couple of dud seasons to start, but long term it would pay off. Since that happened, he's won 4 world championships in 5 years.

So Ricciardo is betting the house on Renault "pulling a Mercedes" for the rule changes and suddenly becoming THE team in F1. Given that Red Bull will prioritise Verstappen and neither Mercedes or Ferrari will sign him, this is probably his best shot at winning the title. The risk is, Alonso tried something similar when he joined McLaren and it failed spectacularly. But it should be fun to watch.

Loved seeing Lerclec snatch pole yesterday. He could have overtaken Vettel in Melbourne if he'd been allowed, and now he's outqualified him. Like Order says, this is starting to look a lot like Vettel and Ricciardo at Red Bull, except this time there isn't really a big team for Vettel to jump to if it goes wrong. Vettel simply can't lose to Leclerc, or he'll become a midpack driver. Again, should be fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    So Haas and Renault are going to be punchlines and be the laughing stock again? At least Haas turned the corner the end of the Season though.
    This was another area where the doc wasn't totally straight with it's storytelling. Haas should, in theory, come 4th this season in my book. While they're a tiny team, what the doc didn't really mention is they're basically a Ferrari satellite team, meaning Ferrari just hand them parts. It's why Alfa Romeo, Racing Point and Haas do so much better than "bigger" teams like Renault, McLaren and Williams. They're hugely linked to either Mercedes or Ferrari. I liked the drama of the doc, but aside from Grosjean being a bit crash happy (which has been the case for nearly a decade now), they've been handed quite a lot and will likely have a really, really strong season again.

Heel Champion

Status

Regarding Riccardio it really is a calculated risk. Red Bull are all about Max so he was better off out of that, and he didn't win the Championship when he had the chance so Ferrari and to a lesser extend Mercedes wouldn't touch him so yeah take a backwards step to move forward makes perfect sense for him there.

Just to reiterate what I previously said, we really need Ferrari on the button this year as Mercedes winning 6 in a row would be horrific.

As for the "feeder" teams, yeah it's how it works, has for a long time. You're better off being at a sister team as you get to drive a version of the car you're being trained to use so if you can hold your own and show potential you're almost guaranteed a shot on your main team.

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    I really enjoyed the doc, but there were a lot of instances of pushing the narrative over telling the full story, and Ricciardo moving was one of them.

With Ricciardo, the main reason he left for Renault is that there is a massive regulation change in 2021. The last time that happened, Mercedes went from a midpack team to ultra-dominant practically overnight. Lewis Hamilton saw it was about to happen and jumped a couple of years before that, knowing he'd have a couple of dud seasons to start, but long term it would pay off. Since that happened, he's won 4 world championships in 5 years.

So Ricciardo is betting the house on Renault "pulling a Mercedes" for the rule changes and suddenly becoming THE team in F1. Given that Red Bull will prioritise Verstappen and neither Mercedes or Ferrari will sign him, this is probably his best shot at winning the title. The risk is, Alonso tried something similar when he joined McLaren and it failed spectacularly. But it should be fun to watch.

Loved seeing Lerclec snatch pole yesterday. He could have overtaken Vettel in Melbourne if he'd been allowed, and now he's outqualified him. Like Order says, this is starting to look a lot like Vettel and Ricciardo at Red Bull, except this time there isn't really a big team for Vettel to jump to if it goes wrong. Vettel simply can't lose to Leclerc, or he'll become a midpack driver. Again, should be fascinating.

This was another area where the doc wasn't totally straight with it's storytelling. Haas should, in theory, come 4th this season in my book. While they're a tiny team, what the doc didn't really mention is they're basically a Ferrari satellite team, meaning Ferrari just hand them parts. It's why Alfa Romeo, Racing Point and Haas do so much better than "bigger" teams like Renault, McLaren and Williams. They're hugely linked to either Mercedes or Ferrari. I liked the drama of the doc, but aside from Grosjean being a bit crash happy (which has been the case for nearly a decade now), they've been handed quite a lot and will likely have a really, really strong season again.

First of all I like to say it's pretty cool to see a Community here who likes F1 like me. I need people to hold my hands and teach me the ropes being a new fan. Racing Point I really pulling for to do some things this Season in the Doc they went through so much especially with the chaos involving Vijay Mallya it would be justice for them to win a race or two this Season.

Charles Lerclec raced his ass off today and it just wasn't enough to keep Hamilton off of him. Still a great showing from the young buck seeing my first Race as a fan. Truly intense.

Real Women of Genius

Ole!

Status

Missed today as i was at the football but Riccardo moving was a brave move but hopefully he'll now be at a place that won't prioritise one driver over the other although that does happen a lot in the big teams.

Looking forward to catching up on the highlights and next race too.

Heel Champion

Status

Poor Charles....easing to victory then the Ferrari does it's thing and messes up on him for a Mercedes 1-2 again sigh.

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Poor Charles....easing to victory then the Ferrari does it's thing and messes up on him for a Mercedes 1-2 again sigh.

I know during the Doc I watched they have an arrogance about them as a organization, but that is what happens when you're successful you get a big head at times. I remember during the Doc they didn't have Cameras filming their Cars or asking about such things as if they have something special under the hood. Still Charles is a humble kid who I can get behind him even with who he works for right now.

Real Women of Genius

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I know during the Doc I watched they have an arrogance about them as a organization, but that is what happens when you're successful you get a big head at times. I remember during the Doc they didn't have Cameras filming their Cars or asking about such things as if they have something special under the hood. Still Charles is a humble kid who I can get behind him even with who he works for right now.

Real Women of Genius

I’m Not Booked!

Status

Man that race yesterday was such a bummer. Can't believe Ferrari took what should have been an easy 1-2 and somehow ended up being lucky with 3rd and 6th. Feel really bad for Leclerc - his time will come of course but to lose out in those circumstances is really tough.

Big shout out to Lando Norris. When you're my age, teams like Williams and McLaren have a real prestige and name value to them, so it sucks to see them failing. Norris taking fifth (and at just 19) is a very promising sign. I don't see anyone breaking through to compete with the front three on a regular basis until the big rule change in 2021, but at least we can have moments like this to keep it a bit more interesting.

The change in regulations to allow people to race closer together seems to be working, there was some good wheel to wheel racing. That's all you want, really, a bit of on track excitement. Hopefully it carries through to the end of the season.

Heel Champion

Status

Just need to sort Mercedes from winning everything and all will be dandy.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

I'm losing more and more interest in F1 thesedays, Mercedes endless domination is pretty tedious, and Ferrari have the ability to beat them but they screw things up all the time.

Most of the rules the F1 head honchos bring in just limit the actual racing, the individual car/driver is too unimportant thesedays, its all about the team/engineers behind the car they're driving.

Danny Ric just cant catch a break can he?
    Last edited by ETE; 04-01-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Heel Champion

Status

To be honest I don't think there would be a great deal of difference in things if everyone drove the same car. Your usual suspects would be fighting ofr the wins due to how good they are, so the rules are a bit of a mute point outside of team orders.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Say My Name

Status

That race was absolutely fantastic from start to finish. Got to feel sorry for Charles Leclerc but I'm sure he'll get a race win sooner or later. Predicted it before the season began and I truly believe Leclerc is going to demolish Vettel this season. Gonna be a repeat of when Vettel was outclassed by Ricciardo at Red Bull.

Most likely fight for the title is between Hamilton and Leclerc.

Also a word to Lando Norris. Finishing sixth in his second race at the age of 18 is quite something. Star of the future no doubt.
    BTB Achievements

Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status

Don't count out Bottas. If Hamilton found Niko tough, Bottas will be tough to beat this year too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Say My Name

Status

Bottas is no threat at all. Hamilton is twice the driver he is and will be backed by Mercedes.
    BTB Achievements

Spoiler:

I’m Not Booked!

Status

The Mercedes domination is a little depressing, but I've come to accept it. We haven't had a non Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull driver for, what? 5 or 6 years? Red Bull aren't close enough on power, Ferrari can't stop tripping over their own feet, and that leaves Merc. That's not a bad thing if it's something like Rosberg vs Hamilton the year Niko won, but I think Bahrain showed why Bottas won't be able to consistently push himself to that next level. Every now again, sure. But too often he ends up cut adrift from the rest of the top 4 drivers.

Does anyone here watch Formula E? I've found myself getting more in to that this last season and a bit than F1. I'll always have an emotional connection to F1 (that's what being a fan for over 25 years does to you), but Formula E being shorter, more unpredictable, and more eventful means I generally find myself more exciting for the next FE race than F1.

Thread Information