Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Formula 1 and Racing R US Discussion Thread

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Re: Formula 1 and Racing R US Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    I don't see it as bias at all, and I get the reason behind the decision, but I totally disagree with it. Given F1 is at a pretty critical point in its history, to kill one of the few intriguing races this season is both baffling and maddening. Totally support Seb's opinion that "this isn't the sport I fell in love with". Formula E goes a bit too fa the other way with the constant contact, but let them race ffs. They're going to regulate themselves in to irrelevance at this rate.

That said, Seb's rant, sulking away, returning and flipping the markers for 1st and 2nd was pure theatre and I loved it. Shame it needed such a race-ruining stewards decision to get there.
    Even if it was worthy of a penalty, its a dumb time to hand out a penalty like that. Most people I know who have any interest in F1 have stopped watching over the last few seasons as its just become more and more sterile, and the actual racing has become more and more extinct.

They're regulating all the competition and excitement out of the sport. If it wasn't for F1 being around so long, and the "romance" around it as an elite level racing series I think they'd be struggling for viewers at this point. FE is regulated so much better, and they allow the drivers to actually race and compete for spots. F2 is pretty exciting most of the time as well with a more competitive field. F1 doesn't have any of that anymore, and they're increasingly shooting themselves in the foot with all the regulations and penalties.

Not being a Lewis fan, and seeing him never really have any bad luck while everyone around him is constantly being hit with bad luck and penalties its probably just a case of me seeing a bias there. Stupid shit like this penalty just feeds that though.
    Last edited by ETE; 06-11-2019 at 01:09 AM.

Status

The funny / ironic thing is that F1 made all these changes in the off-season to make things faster in hopes of opening it up. Nope. Didn't matter. Youngest set of drivers ever! Nope. Makes no difference.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Say My Name

Status
      Country                    England

I will never not be amused by Sebastian Vettel throwing his toys out the pram.

He really is something else.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

BIG KAIJU~

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Norris and Sainz at 5 and 6. I'll pull for everyone not with Mercedes or Ferrari to get one of the top spots even though I like Leclerc and Ricciardo.
    Last edited by Kairi HoHo; 06-22-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Real Women of Genius

The place to see the best of best of Women's Wrestling from all over the World

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Still getting boring sigh.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Say My Name

Status
      Country                    England

Really looking forward to seeing how McLaren do today.

Hoping Vettel has a nightmare, he's really in meltdown mode
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

BIG KAIJU~

Status

I know one person who might be raging later somewhere and that's Ricciardo after getting two 5 Second Penalties. He goes from 7th to 11th with those very Penalties woof.

Real Women of Genius

I’m Not Booked!

Status

Man, I didn't so much as check out the highlights for this one. Part of that was 4 Women's World Cup games taking up most of my TV watching time, but still. Just goes to show how little intrigue there is when a fan of nearly 30 years can't even be bothered to watch the highlights. I desperately hope they can get their shit together before it's too late.

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Man, I didn't so much as check out the highlights for this one. Part of that was 4 Women's World Cup games taking up most of my TV watching time, but still. Just goes to show how little intrigue there is when a fan of nearly 30 years can't even be bothered to watch the highlights. I desperately hope they can get their shit together before it's too late.
    I can't blame you Keef. For a new fan of the Sport I can see why you guys dive in and out with watching. I'm wondering if everyone has the Engines and great Cars like Mercedes and Ferrari how would the Races turn out? It seems more and more Mercedes and Ferrari have Level 10 Cars and everyone else is running on a Level 8 or 9 out there.

Real Women of Genius

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I can't blame you Keef. For a new fan of the Sport I can see why you guys dive in and out with watching. I'm wondering if everyone has the Engines and great Cars like Mercedes and Ferrari how would the Races turn out? It seems more and more Mercedes and Ferrari have Level 10 Cars and everyone else is running on a Level 8 or 9 out there.
    It would still be Hamilton stomping the competition 9 times out of 10 tbh.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

I’m Not Booked!

Status

I actually don't have a huge problem with two teams being relatively dominant compared to the rest of the pack. F1 has always been like that. When I started watching it was Williams and Bennetton, then it was Williams and Ferrari, then Ferrari and McLaren, then Ferrari and... actually, pretty much just Ferrari in that era. A bit of McLaren and Renault in there. Then pretty much Red Bull on their own with a bit of McLaren and Ferrari, then pretty much Mercedes with a bit of Ferrari thrown in. There's never really more than 3 top level teams in any given season

The difference though, and this might be rose-tinted glasses, was there used to be a few teams who were superior, but it wasn't quite so stark. Kairi, you say it's like Mercedes and Ferrari have level 10 cars and everyone else 8 or 9, but I'd say it's more like 5 or 6. Even during Red Bull's period of dominance, you had awesome seasons like 2012 when other teams could at least compete and maybe win an occasional race. These days it's something to celebrate when someone outside Merc, Ferrari and Red Bull finish in the top 6. When I started watching, only the top 6 even got points. Can you imagine that now?!

Also, the other problem I have is that the races are so dull now. Obviously that decision about Vettel going off the track in Canada was eventful in itself, but it indicated a complete rejection of intrigue in the rules. There was a time when I wouldn't miss a single race, but now I'm finding it hard to justify spending so much time on it for consistently so little return. I really do worry about the future of the sport. It's hard enough attracting new fans, but when you're turning off loyal, long-term fans something is going wrong.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

I didn't bother watching any of this race, and by all reports I didn't miss anything. The negativity towards F1 is just growing with each race, they seriously need to address how noncompetitive it is this year. Racing with no actual racing is pretty pointless.

Evening out the field is tricky though, end of the day in every single sport there are simply athletes/teams that are just simply better. You'll always have flagship teams in F1 and a bunch of relative no-chance's. But Ferrari are well off Mercedes pace as well, if Merc are a 10, Ferrari would be an 8, despite the insistence every year that Ferrari have the better car this season.

One team has gotten too far ahead of everyone else, and they've gradually regulated all the actual racing and driving out of the sport.

As a complete aside; watching old races from the V10 Era is a joy, even if the races were dull, the sheer sound of the V10's was so good.

Status

I actually don't have a huge problem with two teams being relatively dominant compared to the rest of the pack. F1 has always been like that. When I started watching it was Williams and Bennetton, then it was Williams and Ferrari, then Ferrari and McLaren, then Ferrari and... actually, pretty much just Ferrari in that era. A bit of McLaren and Renault in there. Then pretty much Red Bull on their own with a bit of McLaren and Ferrari, then pretty much Mercedes with a bit of Ferrari thrown in. There's never really more than 3 top level teams in any given season

The difference though, and this might be rose-tinted glasses, was there used to be a few teams who were superior, but it wasn't quite so stark. Kairi, you say it's like Mercedes and Ferrari have level 10 cars and everyone else 8 or 9, but I'd say it's more like 5 or 6. Even during Red Bull's period of dominance, you had awesome seasons like 2012 when other teams could at least compete and maybe win an occasional race. These days it's something to celebrate when someone outside Merc, Ferrari and Red Bull finish in the top 6. When I started watching, only the top 6 even got points. Can you imagine that now?!

Also, the other problem I have is that the races are so dull now. Obviously that decision about Vettel going off the track in Canada was eventful in itself, but it indicated a complete rejection of intrigue in the rules. There was a time when I wouldn't miss a single race, but now I'm finding it hard to justify spending so much time on it for consistently so little return. I really do worry about the future of the sport. It's hard enough attracting new fans, but when you're turning off loyal, long-term fans something is going wrong.
    The very best drivers will always stand out, even if the cars are absolutely equal.

But yeah, it definitely seems like a bigger gap in quality than in the past. Like you say, its not a couple of teams at 10 and the rest at 8. Its a much bigger drop.

One thing I've gradually learned - through the F1 documentary and playing Motorsports Manager - is that the difference in quality isn't just the cars. Its everything about the teams. From the design process to the testing to the strategy to the data analysis to the pit crews..... Its like in football - the very best organizations can afford to have the best people in every level of the organization, and that makes a cumulative difference. It all adds up and makes the standout teams have advantages all over the place.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

The very best drivers will always stand out, even if the cars are absolutely equal.

But yeah, it definitely seems like a bigger gap in quality than in the past. Like you say, its not a couple of teams at 10 and the rest at 8. Its a much bigger drop.

One thing I've gradually learned - through the F1 documentary and playing Motorsports Manager - is that the difference in quality isn't just the cars. Its everything about the teams. From the design process to the testing to the strategy to the data analysis to the pit crews..... Its like in football - the very best organizations can afford to have the best people in every level of the organization, and that makes a cumulative difference. It all adds up and makes the standout teams have advantages all over the place.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Reading this Keef made time stop only the top 6 got points woah. So I guess I'll need to rewatch some of those older Season Races to get that excitement then. I know the cream always rises to the top when it comes to Sports, but damn it gets to the point where I can legit just miss the majority of the Race and come back and nothing has changed position. The Commentators themselves at times from what I've get into the battles not just at the top of the leadership, but more so the middle of the pack when Drivers are trying to get those spots outside of Mercedes and Ferrari.

Real Women of Genius

I’m Not Booked!

Status

I really don't have a problem with one or two drivers dominating as it's kind of always been that way. Like the 2016 season had Mercedes absolutely dominant, but because Rosberg and Hamilton were so close it kept it interesting. 2012 came during 4 consecutive Vettel championships wins yet was still absolutely phenomenal. I also remember years where there was a lot of on-track excitement behind the leaders, or at least a handful of contenders for wins/podiums. Just something that tells me, as a viewer, "yes, this is worth you investing time in". Now you can practically predict the order people will finish, pretty much every overtake will be DRS, and there will be limited moments of note. That doesn't make for an interesting spectacle.

Reading this Keef made time stop only the top 6 got points woah. So I guess I'll need to rewatch some of those older Season Races to get that excitement then. I know the cream always rises to the top when it comes to Sports, but damn it gets to the point where I can legit just miss the majority of the Race and come back and nothing has changed position. The Commentators themselves at times from what I've get into the battles not just at the top of the leadership, but more so the middle of the pack when Drivers are trying to get those spots outside of Mercedes and Ferrari.
    Have you done any digging in to the history of F1 by any chance? There's a tonne of interesting races/seasons that I'm sure people here could recommend.

My favourite ever race was the 2011 Canadian GP, which is certainly worth a watch/catching highlights if you can. At the time I was literally on my feet pumping my fists in celebration. Also the 2008 Brazilian GP (final race title decider that season) was pretty exciting. The 2012 season as a whole was one of my favourites, even though it was right in the period of Red Bull domination. Anything older than that I find hard to remember how good the quality was (I have a real soft spot for '96, but can't remember if it was actually any good), but if you had an interest in seeing why some of us old farts on here are longing for the "good old days" those are some decent places to check out.

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Thanks Keef^ for the heads up and for sure I'll see today or tomorrow I find the Races and download them to watch. That is going to be an adventure in itself, but I like challenges. Pretty crazy stuff that went down with the Qualifying Austrian Grand Prix

Lewis Hamilton has been handed a 3-place grid penalty for Sunday's race for *this* incident with Kimi Raikkonen during qualifying
    Because of that he'll start in 5th Place on Sunday, but look who got Pole Postion today the Young Gun Charles Leclerc!

Let's just hope for once and with the skills of Hamilton he's great enough to win a Race from 5th place no doubt, but I'm praying to the F1 Gods that we get a Race that ends with at least something other than Mercedes and Ferrari both at the top. I hope Lewis gets third pretty please!

Real Women of Genius

Status

Nice to see Verstappen and LeClerc fighting it out for the win. Anyone think Verstappen's pass was worthy of a penalty to drop him from the win?
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Nice to see Verstappen and LeClerc fighting it out for the win. Anyone think Verstappen's pass was worthy of a penalty to drop him from the win?
    That pass was very borderline for me. If they want to be consistent with their rules he should have been punished like Riccardio has been this season and so has Vettel. The fact it took them 3 hours to come to a decision is farcical too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Finally saw the Austrian Grand Prix and damn Verstappen and LeClerc battling it out was downright amazing to watch. In my first Season watching F1 that is going to be something I remember when you talk about great moments in the Season that is one of them at least for me so far. When I saw that pass between the two I knew that was going to be a Penalty I yelled it out to myself, just knowing enough how they handled things this Season with situations like that it was going to happen. I'm glad even with the time they took to make a decision he was able to keep. The kid gives off a vibe that is very unlikable I must after watching Drive to Survive, but he can't his skills when he stays within himself.

Real Women of Genius

Thread Information