Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 and Racing R US Discussion Thread

BIG KAIJU~

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: Formula 1 and Racing R US Discussion Thread

A double points-finish for McLaren for the first time since Baku last year and Leclerc with the fastest Lap on Day happy for both sides. Mercedes 1 and 2

I remember them saying Mercedes is on a winning streak of some kind was it 1 and 2 finishes or winning Races in general?

Real Women of Genius

The place to see the best of best of Women's Wrestling from all over the World

Ole!

Status

Yeah 4 consecutive 1-2 finishes for the Mercs

Didn't think too much of the race today, i'll be glad when we get to 2021 and some regulation changes.

I’m Not Booked!

Status

Yeah Baku has been great fun for a couple of years but yesterday wasn't up to much. That Virtual Safety Car killed the little excitement that was left.

Formula E, on the other hand, was pure carnage on Saturday. I probably seem like I'm on commission for it, but the Paris e-prix was nuts. It's genuinely getting to the point where, if I only have time to watch one race/highlights in a weekend and there's both a FE and F1 race, I'm watching Formula E. And that's as someone who has been watching Formula 1 for about 25 years.

Say My Name

Status
      Country                    England

Charles Leclerc should have easily won this weekend. Threw it away in qualifying.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Standings going into the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona tomorrow. Bottas breaking Records on the Track today, as I plead to see someone...anyone not named Ferrari or Mercedes win a Race. In Nascar in happens all the time, but F1 you clearly see as I'm a new fan that those two Companies are levels above the competition. What would it take to dethrone those guys outside a freak accident?

Real Women of Genius

Ole!

Status

I've already given up on this season, no competition for the Mercs at all and can see this being dull

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

The lack of competition in F1 right now is ridiculous. 5 Mercedes 1-2's. No ones catching them at this point, Merc would have to fall apart completely not to take the Championship this year.

For all the talk every year that Ferrari have the better car, they really don't seem to. They need to address the growing gap between Merc and Ferrari / Red Bull, and the huge gap back to everyone else after that. Sport needs competition to be exciting.

BIG KAIJU~

Status

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.5a42a97b5cc7

I didn't know this, but I'm really saddened to hear the news of Niki Lauda's passing. You guys might be wondering how do you know about him being a new fan of Formula 1? I saw Rush years and it made me watch Documentaries about him, and his rivalry James Hunt.

Real Women of Genius

BIG KAIJU~

Status

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.5a42a97b5cc7

I didn't know this, but I'm really saddened to hear the news of Niki Lauda's passing. You guys might be wondering how do you know about him being a new fan of Formula 1? I saw Rush years and it made me watch Documentaries about him, and his rivalry James Hunt.

Real Women of Genius

Keep dreaming

Status
      Country                    UK

It was really sad to hear of Lauda’s passing. My father in law worked on Rush and got to spend a lot of time with him as a result and he said that he was a great guy.

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TWG View Post
    It was really sad to hear of Lauda’s passing. My father in law worked on Rush and got to spend a lot of time with him as a result and he said that he was a great guy.
    Yeah the word I got from people over Social Media is that he was everyone's Father or Grandfather. He treated everyone as family.

Hamilton was extremely close with Lauda and gets the win today in Monte Carlo.

Real Women of Genius

BIG KAIJU~

Status

The Story from today's Qualifying is Ricciardo's 4th place spot, to give The Renault team it's best position since Kubica in 2010. Pulling him to get a win or at least 2nd for sure tomorrow.

Real Women of Genius

Fearless University

Status

Nice to see a real shakeup at the top for qualifying in this race. Hopefully Ferrari have a rare smart race, and Danny Ric has a good race, just to bring a bit of drama and competition back to F1.

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

A few of my friends were in Montreal for the Canadian GP

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang

Fearless University

Status

Embarrassing result for F1 there. Pretty much every driver and the like who have commented on Vettels penalty has said it was bullshit.

You'd think the F1 bosses at this point would do all they can to bring some excitement, competition and actual racing back to the sport. This just made them look a bit corrupt, and like they're looking out for Mercedes/Lewis.

It was what, just the second time this season we've seen a real battle for the lead, and they still made sure Merc got the win.

I'm not sure what the new format/rule changes are in 2021 or 22 whenever it is, but they really need to address how most of the recent re changes they've brought in has killed off the actual racing.
    Last edited by ETE; 06-09-2019 at 11:42 PM.

BIG KAIJU~

Status

You know I'm not a Student of the Game as much as you guys, but I saw this on Reddit and tell me what you guys think and I quote.

First and foremost, one must understand Vettel was not penalised for blocking Hamilton. He was penalised for unsafe reentry. Yes, he was mostly not in control of the car after he rejoined the track, and that’s why he was penalised. He lost control because of his actions in the grass. Allow me to explain:

As Vettel’s rear stepped out, he came off the brake and coasted into the grass. He stayed like this halfway through the grass runoff as he tried to make sure the car was under his control whilst gently turning to the left to try and keep from spearing back onto the track at a harsh angle. A car’s length from the kerb, he gently starts to roll the throttle back on and straightens his wheel. This was where the stewards started to assign blame to him. By getting on the throttle and straightening his steering, it signals his intention to rejoin the track as quickly as possible rather than as safely as possible. Before this, he had the grip to continue gently turning left and rejoin at a less acute angle as long as he didn’t try to accelerate. Much less likely to fling him off towards the right-side wall. As he jumps over the kerb, we can see the rev lights on his wheel flick up momentarily, further proving he’s trying to accelerate. This jump on the kerb combined with him being on the throttle is what causes the rear to step out and start sliding. The most damning part of the whole incident is that after the rear steps out, Vettel continues to accelerate. In fact, he begins accelerating harder whilst straightening his wheel to allow him to go all the way out to the kerb.

We can’t say for certain what his intention was by accelerating despite knowing he’s sliding, but the fact remains is that his own actions caused him to lose control on reentry. Had he not been accelerating, he most likely would’ve had the grip to stay more to the left and not impede Hamilton. By accelerating before he rejoined the track, it caused him to lose control and start sliding as he jumped over the kerb. And by continuing to accelerate as he slid, it caused him to go further to the right and impede Hamilton.

In short, Vettel’s penalty was because he put himself in a position where he’d lose control as he came back onto the track.

My more subjective opinion on it: as a racing driver, Sebastian was not thinking of the regulations on rejoining the track. On pure instinct, he wanted to get back on as quickly as possible and cover his mistake to protect his lead, as any other racing driver would want to. In those situations, you simply don’t have time to think about regulations. He wasn’t maliciously trying to wreck Lewis. He just wanted to get to the right side of the track before Hamilton got there. As he lost control, he still was clearly trying to get his car over to the right, desperate to cover Lewis off. He just relied on his instincts and overcommitted. And his instincts put him in a position where he broke the rules. I’d personally honestly say he probably DID intentionally block Hamilton, but my opinion on the ruling is irrelevant. He got his penalty, even if in my opinion it was for the wrong thing. I think he wanted to block Hamilton, and loss control whilst trying to do it.
    Personally I think it was bs it wasn't intention at all at feel and just is another thing that is keeping me at a Razor thing spot of interest with F1 right now.

Real Women of Genius

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Nah i'm sorry it's crap. Any other driver in the field would have done exactly the same as what Vettel did, it's also human nature to get out of a hazard as soon as possible. You can totally understand Seb's anger and frustrations, and I think Hamilton pulling Seb up to top spot on the podium shows he's in agreement that it shouldn't have been a 5 second penalty.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Fearless University

Status

When even Lewis who benefitted from it is acknowledging it as bullshit you know it was a bad call. Its hard to see them handing out this penalty if the drivers were swapped over. It just reeks of F1 looking after Merc.

It's already been an abysmally dull season, now we've got nonsense like this.

I’m Not Booked!

Status

I don't see it as bias at all, and I get the reason behind the decision, but I totally disagree with it. Given F1 is at a pretty critical point in its history, to kill one of the few intriguing races this season is both baffling and maddening. Totally support Seb's opinion that "this isn't the sport I fell in love with". Formula E goes a bit too fa the other way with the constant contact, but let them race ffs. They're going to regulate themselves in to irrelevance at this rate.

That said, Seb's rant, sulking away, returning and flipping the markers for 1st and 2nd was pure theatre and I loved it. Shame it needed such a race-ruining stewards decision to get there.

On Vacation

Status

As someone who very rarely leaves the BTB section - it was a racing incident, not even the first of its kind. The FIA and its stewards are a joke, and F1 is slowly having all competitive racing sucked out of it.

Thread Information