Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Impact 2014: Re-Branding When It Mattered

WWF- 1991 And Beyond

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Impact 2014: Re-Branding When It Mattered

Alright my friend, time to drop some thoughts on Bound for Glory. First off, I am glad you had the courage to just put a disclaimer out there that there’d be no segments, only matches. That takes balls. Most of the time guys would just let the show sit in their documents and never post it because of that particular reason, but you were able to just say “fuck it” and post the matches, which is quite fine with me. Whatever it takes to get the show posted, that’s what I always say.

On that same note, you can now use your next post to really explain the storyline aspects coming out of BFG. Use that post as a storyline/angle driven, promo basked post- even a “Post-BFG” interview segment or something of that nature and boom, you’ve got it all covered in the end after all.

Starting off with the Ultimate X is the right call. Get the crowd hot for some crazy action. The match was what you would expect it to be, a spot fest, and that’s really all it is supposed to do. In the end, you were able to create a storyline out of the match which is a great thing. Trent comes out of it looking like the top guy, while you have no created two new challengers for him in the process.

Pretty bummed that Aries got the win over Storm. This really reads like Storm could give a shit if he is in the ring at the moment, playing up to something bigger I am sure. Also not sure if we are getting a Beer Money reunion or not. God I hope so. Storm does have that Feast or Fired briefcase, so I am guessing if it’s not with Roode, we could potentially get an AMW reunion?

This is one of the matches I am looking forward to the most. In the time period you have chosen, you have virtually more than half the eventual NXT roster to pick and choose from, and I am glad you are using both Nation and Riccochet as building blocks for the future. The match read as a fun go around, would have liked to see a couple of more spots from each guy, showcasing their athleticism, as this was the finals of the big tournament, but that’s just a minor thing. The major thing coming out of this is you have now added two more serious players to your roster.

Going into BFG I had my money on Kim shocking everyone and winning, but instead Martinez wins in easy fashion. The women’s division doesn’t have much meat on the bones right now in terms of roster power, but I am sure you will add more talent down the line.

This Joe/Lashley match was another one I was excited for. I know from reading some of your past MMA threads on here that you know your shit when it comes to this type of style. I’ve said it in the past- I live under a rock when it comes to modern shit, especially the MMA world. If it’s not WWF from 90-97, I know about it, but don’t really know about it. So I did some research and it seems that John McCarthy is like the Earl Hebner of MMA, meaning he gets all the big fights-so I like that you added him to this match.

For the match itself, I didn’t expect Joe to have much success and with Lashley having a MMA background, I knew he would clean up. Joe’s claim to fame when it comes to submissions is the Coquina Clutch and nothing else, so he didn’t have much of a shit stepping into Lashley’s domain. I must say, Lashley leaves BFG looking like an absolute MONSTER here. I am expecting big things from him down the line, which may not bode well for Gunner retaining later on tonight...

The Hardy Brother write up in your Road to BFG was my favorite thing by far, and this certainly delivered. Brutal match, loved the thumbtacks used throughout. The handcuffs, use of Reby with the low blow, falcon arrow on the thumbtacks…and then the fucking SWANTON onto the thumbtacks!!! Awesome stuff, amazing visual of Matt moving out of the way and Jeff landing right on them. Post-match I did not expect, but it makes perfect sense to wrap up this feud at the biggest show of the year. Looking forward to more crazy shit from these two now that they’re teamed up. Very well booked here.

Time for some Chris Hero. Going into this, he had a lot of fanfare with his debut and then then writeup for the build to this bout, so I always expected him to take this here. Not only is it the right call, but you now have a very legitimate champion in the X-Division. Sanada was always just a place-holder, and it feels to me that you just used him for the time being while you stuck to real life TNA at the time. The match itself was a great read. I loved how you continued to play up Hero’s neck all jacked up following the match. The only thing I can say I didn’t really like-and this is a complete personal preference to his character- was Hero shaking Sanada’s hand post-match. I understand that Hero would definitely live up to the code of honor and shake his hand, but I was hoping Hero would lay out Sanada after the handshake. I know he is a face but I would have liked to see it happen, just because the only Chris Hero I know is from his ROH/CZW days when he was a shit heel.

This tag title match could have really gone any way, as all teams had a legit shot at winning it. Awesome match, some insane spots which I was looking forward to. It really delivered. The legit use of the “X” for Daniels was an awesome touch, and that added realism really made the match for me. My favorite spot was definitely the Belly-to-Belly suplex off the ladder through the table- great stuff. Kazarian overcoming the odds and winning by himself at the end was pretty cool too. The great thing about ladder matches is you can now have both losing teams with a legitimate gripe about the match since they were never pinned, and I am hoping for more matches between these three teams.

Holy shit, awesome booking. I told you I glanced over this earlier on, but never fully read it in depth. The cash-in spot was booked to perfection. Kazarian just went through hell, won the titles by himself and now Beer Money cashes in. Great job here, I loved this. So much for my AMW reunion. Beer Money now sits atop the tag division, and you now have three teams instead of two for the chase. Great job here.

As I stated earlier, I had a feeling with Lashley kicking the living shit out of Joe that he was probably the next man up to challenge and Young would win it. I really don’t mind the underdog story at all, but it seems like you just shocked the world at the last PPV with Gunner winning, and I was expecting you to get behind him and build him up as a bad ass champion. The match was written well, told a great story too. So now Young is the champion, which makes me thing this spells trouble for Bully Ray, no pun intended.

The main event delivered just as it should have. All the bells and whistles, the interference, big schmozz fest. Without a title on the line, this match needed all of that to get across its importance. Loved D-Von and Dreamer trying their best to help their extreme brother and neutralize Rhino. You did a great job of building EC3 up as your ace in the company right now, and that running Powerbomb spot was amazing.

Overall, this was an awesome read. Even without the backstage segments and promos, this was very fun to dig into and watch everything unfold. Now you have laid the groundwork and I really believe that this thread and time period are now “yours” instead of following the real life trajectory to get up to this point. You have tons of different storylines/angles to build off of now between Lashley and EC3 with legit claims to the World title-EY as the underdog champ-Gunner looking for revenge. That world title picture should be fun as hell to play out in the future. On top of that, all three titles changed, which makes me a believer that the reset is complete, and now it’s time for the fun to begin. Great show my friend!

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

As promised dude, going to give your Bound for Glory show a read and I'll share my thoughts.

Excited to get going so.. Here we go! :D

Bound for Glory Review:

- So first thing I noticed was the disclaimer and while I understand, that's a shame. Backstage segments and promo's help break up a show and move it along nicely. Presentation and such of the show looks really nice and clean though- good job.

- Nice opening contest and starting with the Ultimate-X match was a good choice! The line about the fans chanting "TNA! TNA!" and not getting the memo made me chuckle Ha! Trent going rogue and I like the idea of a cocky heel Trent in the X-Division.

- Storm vs Aries up next! I don't think I've ever read a "btb" where someone wrote a "Boring!" chant into one of their matches Haha! It was refreshing and creative and also showed James Storm's basic but effective style. A-Dub picking up the victory is cool with me. Interesting exchange with Storm & Roode, I'd be all for a Beer Money reunion!

- I LOVE this match up for the Super X Cup Finals. I could picture Uhaa Nation & Ricochet going back and forth, move for move in my head and it was an enjoyable read. Pleased to see Ricochet pick up the victory but both men are going to be a force in the X-Division to come no doubt. Exciting times.

- Building Mercedes Martinez into a BADASS and I'm digging it! :D BIG win and I wonder who will step up the Knockouts Champion next?!

- I really liked the uniqueness of the Fight Club Match with Lashley & Joe. Even the idea of having John McCarthy call the action inside the ring as Referee was really creative and clever thinking. I think this match probably needed a bit more detail and while I like the honesty of the crowd chanting "we want wrestling!" it did take away from the match for me and so I praise the creativity- but the execution was a little off on this one. Lashley winning was the correct call and the finish with the ground and pound elbows was a good call.

- Monsters Ball was awesome! Really enjoyable and brutal. Glad Matt picked up the win after all the punishment he sustained. Hardy reunion at the end with Willow removing the mask and I assume we will get the Hardy Boyz back. I'm good with that.

- X-Division match is up next and no real complaints, it was decent enough. I'm not personally a fan of seeing Chris Hero in the X-Division but I'll give it a chance.

- Really enjoyed the Full Metal Mayhem! So good reading the Wolves & Bad Influence together and at their best In this time period. Magnus & Brown also played their part making this a really good match. The spot with Daniels was brutal and was sold really well with the officials ruling him out of the match with the "X" signal. I'm happy with Bad Influence picking up the victory though I do wonder if Daniels could be ruled out for a little while.

DAAYYYUUUMMM! Beer Money are BACK and they're the NEW CHAMPIONS! CRAZY! I was not expecting that to be the outcome but it worked out perfectly. Very creative!

- Modern Day Viking is a cool gimmick and adds more character to someone who was very bland. I like how you notched up the detail with the Co-Main and the Main Event to come. Quite shocked to see Eric Young come out with the victory! I'm even more shocked to see the show of respect from Gunner at the end as well.

- Last Man Standing, Streak vs Career! Doesn't get much bigger then this and it was an AWESOME match! Had everything and I had no idea which way it was going to go which made it so interesting from start to finish. The people getting involved wasn't overkill and made sense to the story with some great spots in the match. EC3 has done it though and he ends the career of the Bully. Big scalp and Ethan is going to be red hot presumably going into a feud with Eric Young for the Impact World Championship!

Overall = I enjoyed the show mate! Matches were all decent to awesome. Maybe a bit more details and more of a "show" with some promo's and backstage segments to break it up next time would make the difference from a good show, to a great show. I like the direction you're going with your vision of Impact wrestling though and I'll be reading along definitely! Good job bro, well done!

"LET ME IN.."

R.I.P. Lionheart

Status
    Tannadice Park, Now Residing at The Emirates
      Country                    Scotland

Spoiler:

Cheers for the reviews lads, if anyone wants to leave more, even if it's just quick thoughts on the show and what I can do better, it'd be appreciated! I'm in the midst of writing the build to the next PPV now, but since I didn't do any segments, and some of the results may have been confusing, I thought I'd post a little news thing. Enjoy!

Also I don't know why the format is being dodgy as fuck, so bare with me.

Impact News!

World Title Drama!

• While Bound For Glory by all means was a success, there was a butting of heads backstage between head of creative David Robertson and the now-former Impact World Champion, Gunner. Reports can confirm that Gunner was unhappy that he was dropping the title after only a few months into his reign. and that he wanted to hold the belt until at least January. Robertson stated that he wasn't impressed with Gunner's performances as champion, believing he was being "complacent" and the fans copped on, turning on him. During the buildup to the show, Gunner would audibly be getting booed on TV, to the point where Impact would turn the volume down to mask the boos.

• Gunner was also dissatisfied with the World Title being an afterthought to Bully Ray's final Impact match, believing he was being overshadowed by someone else leaving the company. Gunner is quoted by saying "What's the point in having the world title if bigger stars just headline over it?" David is also stated to put Ray/EC3 over Gunner/Young due to Bully being a servant to Impact for the better half of 8/9 years, Robertson even going as far as to say Ray would be world champion if he wasn't leaving, and Bully/EC3 was simply a much hotter feud that had been building since before the Lucas Spradlin and Robertson was put in charge. While both men are being civil to each other, and it's highly doubted Gunner will walk out anytime soon, it's clear Gunner isn't happy with how he's been handled while David isn't happy with how Gunner has performed. More news as we get it.

New Signings!

• After months of rumours, we finally can confirm that Impact Wrestling has signed two HUGE names! Former WWE Intercontinental Champion John Hennigan and Former Ring of Honor World Champion Adam Cole have both signed deals with Impact Wrestling! While John's deal is a by-the-numbers Impact deal, where he can work certain indies with Impact's permission, Adam's deal is much more interesting. Reports suggest that Cole didn't want to leave ROH, so after all three parties sat down, an agreement was made that Cole will still appear on both Impact AND ROH Television, while also being able to compete on PWG shows, a condition he specifically placed in both companies contracts. Cole is expected to get pushed right out of the gate, as head of creative David Robertson is reportedly a huge fan of Adam's work. Hennigan is expected to be pushed in the upper midcard, possibly feuding for the X-Division Championship, or.....

New Titles Rumoured!

• While it is currently just speculation, at some point Impact may be introducing a new title belt into the company. Many reportedly believe that the midcard in Impact is a bit static, that if people aren't in a tag team or in the X-Division, they're essentially just floating around not doing anything. This new reported title may change this, however, one should be weary, as Impact has had other midcard belts before, such as the TNA Legends/Global/Television Championship that had little success. While it is currently in the brainstorming phase, an inside source has stated they're thinking of an "MMA vibe," but that could easily change over the coming weeks and months.

Christopher Daniels Injury!

• During the Full Metal Mayhem match, one half of the eventual winners, Bad Influence's Christopher Daniels, suffered a big concussion that will keep him out of action for several weeks. It's reported this injury led to a complete change in the eventual winners of the match, originally penned to be The Wolves, but the ending of the match required a big bump from Daniels, so the finish was changed on the fly so Kazarian would win on his own. Daniels may be back after 6-8 weeks, most likely feuding with Beer Money Inc/The Wolves over the Tag Titles.

Bully Ray Departure!

• One of the more shocking news stories this week was Bully Ray's departure from Impact Wrestling. It's reported that the departure wasn't due to bad blood or a falling out, but Ray had stated even to the prior management that he wanted to leave Impact after October. Bully and Brother Devon are rumoured to be in line for a return to WWE, with Bully asking to have his contract cut after October. Robertson, an avid Bully fan, granted his request if he put Ethan over in a Last Man Standing Match, to which Bully happily agreed to. Ray reportedly cried backstage, after coming through the curtain to see the entire locker room applauding the legend for 8 years of service. Ray has even said he is more than happy to return one day, but right now it's time for him to leave.
    Last edited by Chaddes; 09-17-2019 at 12:37 AM.

Impact 2014: Rebranding When It Mattered
    Vinny Ru's Black & Red Kru: WCW 2000.....Help.

I’m Not Booked!

Status

So I've finally caught up (real life has gotten in the way as of late) and just wanted to share a quick word to say Bound for Glory was really good. I'm loving the format of the shows, keeping it light on backstage segments and not overdoing the matches. Makes this quite a refreshing read and something that is pretty easy to keep up with (why I didn't keep up with it I have no idea!)

The highlight of the show for me was the Joe/Lashley match. You've just made Lashley an absolute BEAST, and he's the guy I'm most interested in now. I presume Joe will come roaring back and they'll eventually have a rematch, but this is really outside the box booking and I love it.

Also was a big fan of the SUper X Cup, and loved that you used Ricochet and Uhaa in the finals. I hope you keep both guys around.

I think in terms of an overarching story through the angles and matches, I perhaps enjoyed Mercedes and Gail the most. I'm just a sucker for dominant champions who are impossible to knock off their perch. It's so satisfying when they do.

The Hardyz stuff was kinda wacky, but I appreciate you doing something a bit creative with them. It's perhaps not my cup of tea, but there's a place for that kind of thing in wrestling and I like that you're trying to mark out a niche for yourself.

I also like you putting the belt on EY, just because I've never got Gunner and you can tell some interesting stories with Eric. I don't think he's the kind of guy you want in main events, but he's a step up from Gunner and at least when someone does beat him it'll mean more than someone beating Gunner. All that said... Eric should have had his moment in the main event. I get that the Bully story was a big one, especially with him leaving, but it has to be a REALLY big match to go after a World Title change, and I don't think this would have killed the rest of the show if it had gone on earlier.

One tiny nitpick - you had three title changes in a row on the card. It's not a massive deal, but if you have all the title changes back-to-back but none anywhere else on the card, it starts to lose it's emphasis somewhat.

Anyway, going back to Bully/EC3, it was a great match, and EC3 seems like SUCH a big deal now. I also like that Bully is being moved on. Gotta keep that roster fresh, and I'm not sure what more you can really do with him before he gets stale.

I'm kinda gutted you had Sanada job tbh. I love Hero, but Sanada as the never-ending champion had more potential to be. But, hey, let's see where it goes. Likewise the sudden re-emergence of Beer Money.

One thing I didn't love was the over reliance on stipulation matches. We had Ultimate X (should have gone longer than 7 minutes imo), Full Metal Mayhem, Fight Club Match (not sure if that was a special stip or just a nice name), Monsters Ball and Last Man Standing. That's over half your card, and like with the back-to-back title changes, means it doesn't land quite as well as it might have done if you'd have reigned it in a little.

Still, despite those couple of little nitpicks, this was a really interesting show, and you're well set up for the future. Especially with the addition of Johnny Mundo and Adam Cole, things could get real interesting from here. I'll try to do a much better job of keeping up going forward!

Heel Champion

Status

Remember checking this thread out when you first started but I'm guilty of not being up to date for a little while, yet last night I began going through it randomly and I've got to be honest. I'm blown away by your Bound for Glory event. Firstly I want to praise you for restraint, as with these projects it's very easy to have a bunch of new faces pop up from the off. Yet you have managed to only bring in a select handful which has more of an affect. I hope one day I can have that restraint haha. I very much appreciate your recap style and the format of your shows, they are easy to read and not a pain on the eyes if you get me, which I appreciate.

The opening contest I can imagine was a fun little opener and had a great spot to close the finish. Defo a hot start to the show and I feel you had the right winners. I must admit, I used to use the photo bucket photos as well in an old BTB and I always liked that look. The heel turn by Trent was slightly forshadowed in his entrance, but no complaints there. Him vs Sydal or him vs Everett will be fun. Must admit I was surprised to see Aries go over Storm but with what happened later on I can see why. Credit to you for mentioning if matches aren't well received by the crowd. That's something I've always considered doing but at the same time, don't think I'd be able to pull off.

Ricochet/Uhaa was a lot of fun, happy to see Ricochet win and get his shot. Same time I hope to see you possibly sign Uhaa as well. Your use of Mercedes Martinez has been excellent I must say, she's someone I've been a fan of for a long while and I've wanted her to be in a big promotion. So I'm pleased to see her reign continue here, curious to see who she'd have next as I could be wrong but she seems to have cleared the division. Lashley/Joe was different and I like that. You gave it an MMA feel which we know Joe can pull off from his match with Angle, the best part as well was he doesn't look bad in this as IMO he went out on his sword similar to Poirier with Khabib when he tried for that guillotine.

I'm a rare person who actually liked Willow and I felt you handled him well in this match. The thumbtack swanton was sick, and the ending was very intriguing. Part of me wonders if we'll see you do a take on Broken Matt at some point. The battle of the proteges is a fantastic touch, always a fan of mentioning these tie ins and it made your X-Division title match feel more special. Hero winning was no doubt, surprised you've gone with him as a face but I'm interested to see how he progresses. Might be a slight critic but it does feel like perhaps you've maybe had too many gimmick matches on the show. I know it's the big one, but sometimes it does take from the special nature of these bouts.

Full Metal Mayhem was a great read. I had a feeling something was up when it was just Kaz with the belts, you've been teasing the reformation of Beer Money for a while and that was a great pay off right there. Eric vs Gunner was very good, and it defo felt like the right change to make a switch. Personally I'm a fan of Gunner's and I wonder if you'll incorporate what was said about him backstage into his character in the future. Your main event was fantastic and one of the best contests I've read in this section, I was fully invested in the fued and the finish. You did a great job there. Kudos for having Bully depart to follow through. So yeah, tremendous job man. Keep up the good work.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Some thoughts on the Impact news following Bound for Glory.

- Things are not looking good for Gunner after dropping the Championship amonst some backstage controversey. I quite like this pulling back the curtain idea and it kind of helps with those that were surprised that Gunner dropped the Championship after a short reign.

- Two BIG signings! I'm not a fan of Johnny so I'm not that bothered about him- but I do love Adam Cole! The idea of him in Impact around this time is pretty damn cool and he's got everything needed to move up the card quickly and become a main attraction. I like the added thinking outside of the box of him not wanting to really come to Impact and so he's kept his ROH and PWG appearances in his contract which is a nice touch and allows him to be used sparingly and meaningfully when he's around. Kudos on the creative thinking too of not making everything all rosey with Impact right off the bat and building a picture of a true rebrand.

- New title? Hmm interesting. I'm not sure about an MMA kind of Championship though :/

- As expected Daniels has picked up a serious injury and will be out for a little while. Be interesting to see where Kazarian goes from here? I'd like to see him back in and around the X-Division.

- I like the way you handled the Bully Ray departure and there's room for a return in the future too!

"LET ME IN.."

R.I.P. Lionheart

Status
    Tannadice Park, Now Residing at The Emirates
      Country                    Scotland

hey guys, I don't mean to bump this unnecessarily, but I thought I should put up a post saying this is going to be halted for a while. I'm really not okay, and I need to try and focus on myself and make sure I can leave my house again. I will come back to this thread, I have 5 years planned in this and I don't intend on just leaving it, it's just right now I'm a bit fucked, so I need to sort it.

Thank you to BattleTank and Keef for helping so much and lending advice, even if I just took it and forgot to reply back (sorry Keef <3). Also to everyone who commented and showed interest, it really means a lot to me that you guys even read my thread, and to the people who voted for my in the BTB of the Month. That shit made me so happy and I can't express enough how less shit that made me feel. So thanks.

Impact 2014: Rebranding When It Mattered
    Vinny Ru's Black & Red Kru: WCW 2000.....Help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information