Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who should Kurt Angle face at WrestleMania?

Status
      Country                    United States

Who should Kurt Angle face at WrestleMania?

We have now learned that WrestleMania 35 is going to be Kurt Angle's last ride, and with that being the case, there is no doubt he is going to want to go out on a high note, and WWE will be doing their best to create a lasting moment out of the former champion's final match. While the Olympian did announce last night that WrestleMania 35 would be his final match, he did not announce an opponent for his final match.

So, let us begin to speculate.

You look over the roster in WWE and there is a fair amount of people who make sense to be Angle's final opponent.

Samoa Joe and AJ Styles pop out for the their past encounters, but those took place in a different company and WWE remains a little wishy washy on acknowledging their star's careers outside of WWE. Plus, Joe is US Champion, while AJ Styles seems to be heading towards a match with Randy Orton. Another person who immediately comes to mind is John Cena, who began his career by confronting Kurt Angle way back in 2002. Right now, we don't know anything about his WrestleMania status but people have been predicting an encounter with Samoa Joe for a while now, though it is entirely possible they could shuffle those plans around to allow him to face Angle in his final match. Then there's Drew McIntyre and Baron Corbin who have been Angle's biggest foes over the last year. Those two are very much in play, with their only links being to Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose as possible WrestleMania opponents. Of course I think McIntyre would be an awesome final opponent but they have dropped some hints that he is going to face Reigns and/or Ambrose, which is probably a better gig for him, and Corbin would be a downright disappointing choice.

A few darkhorse candidates worth considering are Shelton Benjamin who recently reappeared on Monday Night Raw as a hired gun of Paul Heyman. The return of Benjamin was rather out of the blue and may just be a prelude to him challenging Angle at WrestleMania. It would be quite the jump for him to go from being off TV to facing Angle in a high profile retirement match, but he would still be a logical choice nonetheless and would be someone who could do the job to Angle. Another thing to consider, though it is even more of a longshot, would be Jason Jordan. It's unclear if he will be continuing his in ring career soon, if at all, but since he has been out for over a year and plans were allegedly in the works to have him face Angle at last year's WrestleMania, if he is able to compete then he would be a prime candidate. But again, his health being in doubt makes this less than likely he would be the guy to go to.

So who would you say should be Angle's final opponent?

Personally, I would lean towards John Cena as the most sensible guy for this. It would be a shame if we missed out on Joe vs. Cena at Mania but you could always run that program down the road, and we'll never have a chance to do Cena vs. Angle again. They have a history with each other and John Cena could be trusted to work an entertaining match for Angle to ride off into the sunset with.

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

COMING EVENTUALLY- THE TOP 25 MATCHES of CM PUNK'S CAREER

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: Who should Kurt Angle face at WrestleMania?

Cena would make logical sense and it would allow it all to come full circle. Cena debuts against Angle and Angles last match is with Cena. Would make for a fitting end and a loss wouldn't hurt Cena for the feel good Angle moment.

However with the recent NXT call ups it really wouldn't shock me to see it being one of those guys.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Jason Jordan

It has to be Cena right? Come full circle with John's debut. Angle is wrestling too frequently on TV for it to be scrubs like Jinder or Corbin or Lashley, it has to be someone fairly important for it to be on Wrestlemania, and so many other big names are all penciled in against other wrestlers it limits the options.

Would be nice if Angle gets a TV match with Shelton before he's done.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Would be cool if Angle had a series of "last" matches on the road to Wrestlemania. Get him out in NXT/NXT UK even for special "dream" matches.

Cena is the way to go. Picture perfect ending.

Say My Name

Status

Can't see it being anyone other than John Cena tbh.

I thought maybe McIntyre but it seems he's pegged to take on Roman Reigns at this point.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Relentless Admin

Status

If it is Cena, that's gonna throw my prediction for the US title off, because I just assumed with all this JOHN CENA OPEN CHALLENGE talk from R-Truth that it meant Cena was coming back to SD and Joe Vs Cena is something I've always wanted to see. Guess Joe could face Mustafa Ali or any of the many midcard acts on SD.

Status

He's going one-on-one with The Undertaker, playa.

Like Ed, I figured Cena vs Joe was the road they were going down but Cena vs Angle makes 100x more sense.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Watch it be someone like Corbin

Honestly it should be Cena. The story writes itself. Angle gave Cena his debut match 17 years ago beating him in a tightly contested bout....Cena in turn gives Angle is final match ever and beats him in a closely contested bout. storytelling 101. Not to mention Cena was the one who inducted him in the hall of fame. Just makes too much sense for them not to do it. In the run up to this i hope he and Shelton have a match on raw. I totally get if he's not up to it but matches with AJ & Joe would have been great to see too, but wishful thinking)

But yeah WWE seem super determined to make this the most complex road to wrestlemania ever so I wouldn't be surprised if its a nobody in the end.

Also i rewatched the Cena/Angle match from that SD earlier today on youtube. Really good match and I recommend you guys check it out again.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

John Cena is the sentimental pick to have Angle face as his last opponent but I always believe that the leaving or retiring wrestler should put over a new guy. John Cena doesn't really fit that but there really is no one else that it picked to be a break out star that could get that rub from Angle on the big stage.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    John Cena is the sentimental pick to have Angle face as his last opponent but I always believe that the leaving or retiring wrestler should put over a new guy. John Cena doesn't really fit that but there really is no one else that it picked to be a break out star that could get that rub from Angle on the big stage.
    Ah, so you think Charlotte should get Angle then.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Ah, so you think Charlotte should get Angle then.
    I was thinking more on the lines of Alicia Fox but Charlotte would do just fine.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I'd agree with you if it was any other PPV, he was leaving the company instead of retiring altogether and it was someone slightly below Angle in the grand scheme of things, like Rey Mysterio, Kane or The Big Show. Kurt Angles final match and at WrestleMania no less? No, he doesn't need to give Johnny Gargano a rub, be needs a memorable send off.

Hail To The King

Status

John Cena it just makes sense

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    I'd agree with you if it was any other PPV, he was leaving the company instead of retiring altogether and it was someone slightly below Angle in the grand scheme of things, like Rey Mysterio, Kane or The Big Show. Kurt Angles final match and at WrestleMania no less? No, he doesn't need to give Johnny Gargano a rub, be needs a memorable send off.
    I suppose that's true. It doesn't bother me what they do, as long as Angle is happy with it, Im fine with any choice they go with.

If you want to go that direction, AJ Styles, if he wasn't in this Orton feud, could've been another option to give a nod to their TNA days but WWE wouldn't do that.

Be The Booker

Status
      Country                    Greece

Given how Samoa Joe will most likely end up in a WrestleMania program with Rey Mysterio, I think Cena should be a lock-on to face Angle at this point.

#WC4Horsemen

Justice for Smarks

Status
      Country                    Norway

Shawn Stasiak.

Jokes aside, it's likely gonna be Cena or Jason Jordan...

Or both.

Be The Booker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Barrows View Post
    Shawn Stasiak.

Jokes aside, it's likely gonna be Cena or Jason Jordan...

Or both.
    Or Roman Reigns' long lost half brother...Luther Reigns!!

#WC4Horsemen

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

It's obviously going to be the man who taught him everything he knows......................BOB BACKLUND

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang

Status

On a slightly more serious note, EC3 is someone who kinda sorta makes sense?

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

COMING EVENTUALLY- THE TOP 25 MATCHES of CM PUNK'S CAREER

Be The Booker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    On a slightly more serious note, EC3 is someone who kinda sorta makes sense?
    Not really imo.

Why not Jackson Andrews?

#WC4Horsemen

Thread Information