Thread: Kenny Omega

The Planet's Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Kenny Omega

Am I getting senile in my old age?

I remember speaking to Shock and CGS the week of Wrestle Kingdom about Kenny Omega and I said even if I don't vote for him in my top 50, I think he deserves a thread. Two months later I'll put that plan into action after Steve's reminder.

For better or worse, I think Kenny Omega is the defining wrestler of this period of time in the business. He's clearly one of the biggest names outside of WWE, he was the top gaijin in New Japan and was one of the main attractions to new western fans to the product, and as part of the Elite he's been at the center of the groundswell of anti-WWE fan support for All In and All Elite Wrestling. To many people and followers of Dave Meltzer's line of thinking, Kenny Omega has been the best wrestler of this or any generation and seems to have 5 star matches for breakfast. Now obviously I don't agree with that, but even if he isn't my cup of tea a lot of the time, he clearly floats the boat of a lot of other people and I'm not sure any match has created as much discussion and hype as Okada Vs Omega I.

For me, he's a lot like Brock Lesnar. Some of his big matches will connect with me big time and I'll think they're MOTYC level, and other times I'll think his main events are the biggest pile of garbage I saw all year that makes everyone look bad by association and I never want to see him wrestle again. Not to mention in 2015 when he's doing the Jr title stuff as THE CLEANER~~ with the mop, it's one of my most hated runs of any champion. He is way too inconsistent for me to put much higher than #45-#50 because of how much I actively dislike him and how much of his work is terrible, but there is high end stuff there that I really really love and I have to be honest I think he'd definitely get a vote over Brock Lesnar for an exception to the rule sort of #50 pick.

Out of interest I just checked, in 2016 3 of his matches made my top 100, in 2017 6 of his matches made my top 100, in 2018 (still to reveal) 7 of his matches made my top 100 with a few more that just missed the cut. He's certainly not someone I won't praise out of spite, I do have to concede when his work really clicks with me.

People's Champion

Status

Re: Kenny Omega

I used to hate Omega back in his earlier ROH on hdnet days. But hes grown on me. I loved his OKada match and his match vs Jericho i liked a few if his return to PWG matches too. He derserves a mention for sure.

As much as hes a huge name of this so called anti WWE movement of fans, hes hated by the WWE fanboys because the anti wwe fans love him. Truth his, if he signed to WWE, the wwe fan boys would be lining to praise him.
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

Status
      Country                    United States

I feel like if Meltzer wasn't pelting him with 5 and 6 star ratings, a lot more people would be accepting of him as a top flight talent. I think you hinted at it, Ed... there's a lot of people who will try to downplay his good qualities out of spite. My puro knowledge isn't broad as I've admitted a lot in the past, but I've enjoyed pretty much every bit of Omega that I've seen. Not to the point where I'd say he's the guy but I just can't imagine not putting him somewhere on my ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I feel like if Meltzer wasn't pelting him with 5 and 6 star ratings, a lot more people would be accepting of him as a top flight talent. I think you hinted at it, Ed... there's a lot of people who will try to downplay his good qualities out of spite. My puro knowledge isn't broad as I've admitted a lot in the past, but I've enjoyed pretty much every bit of Omega that I've seen. Not to the point where I'd say he's the guy but I just can't imagine not putting him somewhere on my ballot.
    I disagree. As someone who has always downplayed Johnny Gargano, Meltzer's over the top ratings for the guy never altered how I felt about Gargano. It's just another reason to be unimpressed by a highly praised wrestler. I think it's just more of a case of people going out of their way to watch the highly praised matches compared to when they were more under the radar pre-Meltzer's lovefest.

The Planet's Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    For people like me, I do feel the urge to criticise him more than other wrestlers because Meltzer has broken his scale specifically for this guy and journalistic integrity goes out of the window because he's almost become a publicist and hype man for Omega and New Japan. WON is the best advertisement tool New Japan have in America. I feel like there's too many people that aren't looking critically enough at him and just believing the hype. I think there's truth to what Jim says too, because he's championed so strongly by Meltzer, people who have similar tastes to Dave are more likely to check Omega out over say a Shuji Ishikawa so popularity wins out and Omega is seen as the best guy outside of WWE.

It's something I was hinting at about Michaels in the countdown, because Michaels gimmick and presentation was the showstopper and the best wrestler/entertainer in the company, and other wrestlers and wrestling journalists respected him as one of the best, that becomes the lens you see him through so he either becomes someone people agree with as the best, or he becomes a bigger figure to criticise because you stronger disagree with notion he's the best. Omega's the 'best bout machine', either you buy into that idea, or you completely disagree with it.

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    For people like me, I do feel the urge to criticise him more than other wrestlers because Meltzer has broken his scale specifically for this guy and journalistic integrity goes out of the window because he's almost become a publicist and hype man for Omega and New Japan. WON is the best advertisement tool New Japan have in America. I feel like there's too many people that aren't looking critically enough at him and just believing the hype. I think there's truth to what Jim says too, because he's championed so strongly by Meltzer, people who have similar tastes to Dave are more likely to check Omega out over say a Shuji Ishikawa so popularity wins out and Omega is seen as the best guy outside of WWE.

It's something I was hinting at about Michaels in the countdown, because Michaels gimmick and presentation was the showstopper and the best wrestler/entertainer in the company, and other wrestlers and wrestling journalists respected him as one of the best, that becomes the lens you see him through so he either becomes someone people agree with as the best, or he becomes a bigger figure to criticise because you stronger disagree with notion he's the best. Omega's the 'best bout machine', either you buy into that idea, or you completely disagree with it.
    I think that's probably pretty spot on. I would add that I think the cynicism in wrestling fans often leads to a rejection of anyone put on a pedestal from certain crowds.

Thread Information