Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Sword and Shield

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Pokemon Sword and Shield

I really need to bang out a USUM playthrough as it's the only mainline game I've yet to beat but the pacing on island one is SO BAD that it's hard to commit. Wayyyyyy too much cutscene and tutorial shit breaking up the catching and killing. I liked Sun and Moon a lot once I cleared that part but it's tougher to push myself through a second time, even with the promise of a better game on the horizon.

As for Sword/Shield (do we have a shorthand yet? SwSh?), I think it's the best three starter designs in a while as most of the gens have at least one significant dud and I think these three boys all look pretty good. Bit disappointed the game doesn't look a tad more ambitious considering it's the first console Pokemon game, but I'll be there day one regardless.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Total Nonstop Silk: Reviewing TNA from the Moment of IMPACT
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Bit disappointed the game doesn't look a tad more ambitious considering it's the first console Pokemon game, but I'll be there day one regardless.
    Yeah I had similar reservations. Maybe it's beefier/longer?
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    Yeah I had similar reservations. Maybe it's beefier/longer?
    The map looks pretty small. People are speculating we may get Kalos again for the whole France/Britain connection but I doubt it. People have been guessing at two regions every game for the last 15 years.

Also you know Jynx is a terrible design for a Pokémon, Nicky. Not the worst gen 1 since Seel and Dewgong exist, but it's right up there

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    The map looks pretty small. People are speculating we may get Kalos again for the whole France/Britain connection but I doubt it. People have been guessing at two regions every game for the last 15 years.

Also you know Jynx is a terrible design for a Pokémon, Nicky. Not the worst gen 1 since Seel and Dewgong exist, but it's right up there

Voltorb is pretty bad too. Though from a game design standpoint was at least an effective dynamic in the power plant when they disguised them as item drops.

Sent from the Panthermobile

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Total Nonstop Silk: Reviewing TNA from the Moment of IMPACT

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Also you know Jynx is a terrible design for a Pokémon, Nicky.
    How dare you.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    How dare you.
    I need sleep

Shock Reviews Archive

BIG KAIJU~

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Seel and Dewdong are lovable I wish I had both so I can ride them like Free Willy. Just beat LT.Surge what the chances dude had Raichu and Mewtwo on his team Jesus I need a Electric type stat. I do have Elekid in that Day Care in Crystal I think it's about time I bring her out and get her strong as fuck. I'm a huge lover of the Water, Electric, and Fighting Types. I could go with some Dragons too who wouldn't want Gyrados or Dragonite?

Real Women of Genius

The place to see the best of best of Women's Wrestling from all over the World

God's Gift to God

Status

Sitting here like a heroine addict waiting for the console bundle to go live.

Forever The Revival

Status

How does one do a nuzlocke challenge? I see them on youtube but I've not ever seen any easy way to do it.

Also that little grass type monkey is probably my favorite starter right now for Sword and Shield. I'll not be able to decide which one I want until I know the full evolution lines and their types though. If the bunny doesn't become fire/fighting, I may be swayed.
    [IMG]https://***************/57909_s.gif [/IMG]

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    How does one do a nuzlocke challenge? I see them on youtube but I've not ever seen any easy way to do it.

Also that little grass type monkey is probably my favorite starter right now for Sword and Shield. I'll not be able to decide which one I want until I know the full evolution lines and their types though. If the bunny doesn't become fire/fighting, I may be swayed.
    The most basic Nuzlocke rules, as they were first introduced, are as follows:

Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released or put in the Pokémon Storage System permanently.

The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances. If the first encounter in the area is a Double Battle in dark grass, the player may choose which of the two Pokémon they would like to catch. If there's a static encounter in the area, the player is allowed to capture them despite already capturing a Pokémon in that area. Shiny Pokémon also do not apply to this rule.

Other near-universally used rules include:

The general consensus is that players must also nickname all of their Pokémon, for the sake of forming stronger emotional bonds.

The general consensus is that a black out/white out is considered to be "game over", even if there are Pokémon left in the PC.

Strongly implied, though not explicitly mentioned in the comic, is the stipulation that the player can use only Pokémon they have captured themselves, meaning traded Pokémon, mystery gifts, etc., are prohibited. Trading and retrading the same Pokémon (for the purpose of evolving a Graveler, for example) is something of a gray area, and may fall under optional rules. As of White: Hard-Mode Episode 3, it is implied that the player can accept Pokémon that are received freely from NPCs.

Also strongly implied is a prohibition against voluntarily resetting and reloading the game when things go wrong. Being able to do so would render all of the other rules pointless.
    Just follow the bold section and you'll be fine. It's more fun especially if you randomize it to where any Pokemon in any area can be anything even a Legendary.

Real Women of Genius

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: Pokemon Games Discussion Thread

Nuzlockes are fantastic. Heartbreaking (rip Belle the Butterfree who was critted two battles after evolving), but loads of fun especially since you end up with weird teams and Pokémon you've never used before.

Shock Reviews Archive

Status

I've never played white out=game over before. Personally I like it much more to have to cobble together a new team from your boxed Pokemon in the wake of the ultimate tragedy.

I also have a "catch the first NON-DUPLICATE Pokemon" rule that I use because I hate having a team of like four Rattatas.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Well I just got a tremendous ass whopping from Blue in The Viridian Gym for Crystal. Dude first two Pokemon wasted me with Articuno and Vaporeon and I knew it was going to struggle when his Pokemon are in the 50's and mines are in the mid to late 40. I really need a Psychic and Electric type, Hana aka Electrabuzz just grew to her final form, but she's level 31 right now. Slowbro in the Daycare at Level 50 I might need to stop playing and teach it Psychic if I even think I'll have a chance vs Red.

Real Women of Genius

Forever The Revival

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    The most basic Nuzlocke rules, as they were first introduced, are as follows:

Just follow the bold section and you'll be fine. It's more fun especially if you randomize it to where any Pokemon in any area can be anything even a Legendary.
    Oh see I thought Nuzlocke was the randomized thing. That's what I have no clue how to do. But now I'm thinking I might wanna try a normal one at least on x or y.
    [IMG]https://***************/57909_s.gif [/IMG]

BIG KAIJU~

Status

Oh I never did say what Pokemon have I been rolling with in Pokemon Crystal here we are!

Hana-Elecrtabuzz
    Kairi-Poliwrath
    Strowman-Golem
    Drago-Dragonite
    Ban-Typhlosion
    Misty-Starmie

It took me twice to beat Blue, but I got it done! After I finished Articuno and Vaporeon, Blue had Pokemon like Unoun, and Farfetch'd on his team to go along with Crobat! Safe to say by his last Pokemon I was feeling myself, till I saw his last Pokemon was A FUCKING ENTEI! Lucky I had my Starmie that had the Speed advantage to use Surf or I would of been done for! Fought Red once just to see what I'm going to face and Kingler with Crabhammer and Guillotine fainted my whole team!

Real Women of Genius

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Oh see I thought Nuzlocke was the randomized thing. That's what I have no clue how to do. But now I'm thinking I might wanna try a normal one at least on x or y.
    It's probably about the only way to make XY even remotely difficult so that's definitely a good plan.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

They have been overdue difficulty modes in Pokémon for the longest time. Closest thing we ever got was Challenge mode from BW2, but even that annoyingly required you to have two games and complete White 2.

Might kickstart a Nuzlocke of my own again. Been far too long.

Shock Reviews Archive

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Playing a Platinum Nuzlocke. Got 5 badges just now, but here's my team in order of when I got them:

Nikki - Staraptor - Named after the greatest female wrestler of all time. Nikki is the absolute MVP of this run. Intimidate is great when you're playing on Set as it allows her to take a hit, and the mixture of Return, Fly and Close Combat just ruins pretty much everything in the game.

MigraineMan - Golduck - Originally caught as a Psyduck, hence the name. Honestly Migraineman just kind of survives. He's not very powerful and he hasn't come through clutch in any big battles, but he's stuck around for almost all of the run.

LadyLesna - Machamp - I had a Machop called BrockLesna, he died. I then went to another route and found another, female Machop that I nicknamed LadyLesna. She's an ass kicker and constantly ruins the opponent. Still needs to learn its best moves but there's not many Pokemon that can handle LadyLesna

Princess - Graveller - Princess was caught early and she's probably the second best of the run behind Nikki. She's slow, and fat, but because of her typing she can shut down entire teams and can easily switch into anything that's not a grass, fighting or water type. High power moves like Earthquake, Rock Blast, and Stealth Rock for support. Will evolve her into a Golem when I can be arsed to load up the second DS.

Prozac - Raichu - Caught in the Trophy Garden as a Pichu, and then little Prozac was drugged up with happy pills to evolve it to a Pikachu ... 15 fucking levels later. After missing just about every decent move Pikachu learns. As punishment to Prozac, I forced it to evolve twice in a row by feeding it a Thunderstone. Despite this, Prozac is a monster. My highest level Pokemon who took a massive shit all over Crasher Wake's gym.

The Diddler - Mr Mime - Only just caught, this little paedophile hasn't got going yet. Not too thrilled since I hate Mr Mime, but we'll see how he gets on.

------------

The grave (in order of when they died)

Lara - Shinx - Critted in its first battle against a Machop.

Lenny - Bidoof - Died in order to give me a free switch to Nikki in a battle against the second gym leader. Never actually finished a battle.

BrockLesna - Machop - Died in the battle against the second Gym leader. Fuck that Roserade.

GirlLenny - Bibarel - This little Bidoof was the replacement for Lenny. Originally just a fodder Pokemon, but Girl Lenny managed to take down a Galactic Admin thanks to Rollout so I kept her in the team until she died to a critical hit.

New Lenny - Bidoof - The third Lenny was caught shortly after (seriously why are these pricks on every route). New Lenny died to give me an easy switch in Fantina's gym.

Gluttony - Gabite - The chosen one. The one I was going to raise to a Garchomp and steamroll through the game. Unfortunately Maylene's Lucario is not an easy foe.

Notre Dame - Bronzor - Gah this one makes me mad. I forgot that my Bronzor didn't have levitate, it had Heatproof as an ability. So I left Bronzor in against a Graveler and got massacred. Shame because Bronzong would have been an asset to the team.

Mojo Jojo - Monferno - Valiantly died against a team Galactic Admin, Monferno never got to the stage where it evolves and can basically solo the entire game.

Smiley - Gengar - Died in a battle against an Ace Trainer's Gyarados because I forgot those things can Bite. Smiley never got to the standard she could have because her moveset outside of ghost moves is awful early on so she was walled by any normal type.

Shock Reviews Archive

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Mojo Jojo, BrockLesna, & The Diddler could have been a super team. *pours one out for the real ones*

I'll probably start one of these soon to tide me over.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Put the Nuzlocke on Platinum on hold because the grind between Victory Road and the Elite Four is horrid.

Back to my Ultra Sun game over the weekend. Caught myself a shiny Feebas which I'll evolve into a Milotic.

Also trained a team up for the Battle Tree. The doubles one was a breeze with Mega Kanga, specs Tapu Lele, Hawlucha and Incineroar. Pretty much stomped the whole thing to 50 wins because Lele is broken af.

Singles was trickier. Mega Salamence, Aegislash and Gliscor. The first 30 wins was straightforward until the legendaries start popping up. Nearly got swept by a veteran with Articuno after 47 wins because it froze Aegislash and then used Sheer Cold. Turns out Mega Mence is more than enough to OHKO anyway. Blue was piss easy because he used Mega Charizard Y which was set up fodder for Mega Mence.

Shock Reviews Archive

Thread Information