Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Japan Cup 2019

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: New Japan Cup 2019

I get the criticisms of the Nagata vs Ishii matches and other matches in the same mold, but as someone who normally loves those matches, it only enhanced my enjoyment of it. It probably helps a ton that we haven't seen a big Nagata or Ishii match in months, or in Nagata's case, years.

Today's Okada vs Elgin match was pretty good. Awesome closing stretch. Gonna have to watch the rest of the show because I woke up just before Ospreay vs Fale.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads
    General Discussion - NJPW The New Beginnings Tour 2019 - Beginners Guide To New Japan - NJPW Year-To-Year MOTY's

"You're not fighting the odds, Eddie. You're fighting me"

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

Thought the 2nd day was similar to the 1st in that the main event was much better than the others. Nothing mindbogglingly bad but it was a lot of average. I think that should probably be a compliment to Mikey & HIKULEO since HIKULEO looked so bad before. Will/Fale was bad because of the BS.

Really enjoyed Okada/Elgin, the days of Elgin being underrated may be over following his accuser's exposure of being a lying cunt but I really think he's been one of the more consistent workers in NJPW, of the foreigners he's the best they have IMO purely in-ring. Okada's having a good start to his 2019 as well. It started out slow but built well & teased a believable upset. Thought it was good.
    #XI

The Graceful Assassin~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Thought the 2nd day was similar to the 1st in that the main event was much better than the others. Nothing mindbogglingly bad but it was a lot of average. I think that should probably be a compliment to Mikey & HIKULEO since HIKULEO looked so bad before. Will/Fale was bad because of the BS.

Really enjoyed Okada/Elgin, the days of Elgin being underrated may be over following his accuser's exposure of being a lying cunt but I really think he's been one of the more consistent workers in NJPW, of the foreigners he's the best they have IMO purely in-ring. Okada's having a good start to his 2019 as well. It started out slow but built well & teased a believable upset. Thought it was good.
    Maybe I'm missing something but all I saw was that it was insufficient evidence, not that she'd lied. The court isn't infallible. Was there something else?

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something but all I saw was that it was insufficient evidence, not that she'd lied. The court isn't infallible. Was there something else?
    A ton of people exposing her as a serial sexual predator & liar herself followed by her filing a police report against a bunch of Twitter people that came forward as her victims but forgetting to list the guy she originally accused (not even Elgin) against her after saying she couldn't go to police for it for whatever made up reasons. Gross stuff.
    #XI

The Graceful Assassin~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

People are way to eager to jump to conclusions when it comes to these sorts of things without hearing the facts, sadly. Especially it's people they don't like or perceive as unworthy to their current spot. Although I don't think people will stop the unwarranted hate or down play of his abilities just yet, but I just hope Elgin will be able to move on in his career at least.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads
    General Discussion - NJPW The New Beginnings Tour 2019 - Beginners Guide To New Japan - NJPW Year-To-Year MOTY's

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

I hope Michael Elgin uses his renewed reputation to head to WWE so someone else can get his NJPW spot

The Planet's Admin

Status

Where did the go fund me money Mo?

Nichols Vs Okada will be interesting given Nicholas 2nd ever match in Chaos is against his leader.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Ryusuke Taguchi vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan
    Fun match. Tenzan is passed it but he was alright here. Taguchi did some good comedy spots too.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shota Umino
    This really good. Result never in doubt but it allowed Umino to show tons of fire and shine in a big match, against Tanahashi of all people. You could tell Tanahashi really likes Umino and it wouldn’t surprise me if he took up him up as a protege backstage.

Zack Sabre Jr vs EVIL
    I honestly wasn’t into this much. I was completely uninterested by the match and spent more time looking at my phone than the TV. Some stuff happened, it wasn’t memorable.

Tetsuya Naito vs Kota Ibushi
    Good match. Naito did some really nasty work on Ibushi’s neck including a nasty reverse piledriver on the apron. Ibushi’s comebacks were really energetic and brought a lot to the match, even if his selling towards the end wasn’t great. Awesome bombfest towards the end too.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Didn't watch most of yesterday's show but I really liked Goto vs SANADA (SHOCK). Honestly thought it was better than Naito vs Ibushi because it had much more consistent peaks throughout the match than the Ibushi/Naito did. Some wicked counters and general awesome Wrestling. Shame Goto lost but SANADA had a great run last year and I can see that happening again.

The Suzuki vs Kojima match was a bunch of fun too.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

All CHAOS boys in the top bracket has me thinking some shit is about to go down.

Wonder if Ospreay's gonna do Okada dirty then give Ibushi the win back in the final.

Tournament has been quite decent so far but feel we're about to get to the big matches now.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Ospreay vs Ibushi finals with Ibushi winning is a very likely scenario. Ospreay is really being pushed as a top guy in this tournament and I can see him beating Okada honestly. Okada doesn't get hurt by the loss and Ospreay would gain a ton with it.

The last few nights look like it could be where the big stuff happens. Ibushi vs ZSJ hopfully is more like their NJ Cup match rather than their G1 match. Taguchi vs Tanahashi going to be pretty fun. Really pulling for a Taguchi upset but Tanahashi is taking this. Korakuen Hall going to be some electric for that.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Well with Ibushi out. Everyone's predictions are thrown for a loop. It's Okada's Cup to lose now.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

The Planet's Admin

Status

BUt hE sIgNeD A ContRaCt

yeah That’s a disappointment he’s out. Feels too early to go back to switchblade/Okada but that seems most likely now.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The MVP of Last Year's NJ Cup, SANADA has yet another very good match with Minoru Suzuki .

The time of the match could be off putting but they made really good use of the time given and told a great story. The crowd was really behind SANADA. Like REALLY behind him. Going crazy for his comebacks and chanting his name when Suzuki was beating him down. They played off their previous match where there was tons of counters and Suzuki being embarrassed somewhat, only to have Suzuki to come out on top this time and negate everything SANADA did. It was a pretty awesome dynamic. Really worth watching.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The first semi final is settled. A rematch to their G1 Classic, Kazuchika Okada vs Tomohiro Ishii!!! Predicting Okada to get the win but no doubt, this will be one to watch.

Tomorrow I'm predicting SANADA to beat Cabana and Tanahashi to beat Zack Sabre Jr for them to go in the second semi final match.

Today show was decent. Okada vs Ospreay was solid but it felt very much like a house show match. Ishii vs YOSHI-HASHI however was great. You can't miss the noise the crow makes when YOSHI-HASHI spits in Ishii’s face. Must see.

Also: Juice Robinson will defend the IWGP United States Championship on the final day of the New Japan Cup against Chase Owens.
    Last edited by MC 16; Yesterday at 08:04 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

Thread Information