Thread: NJPW 47th Anniversary Event 06/03/2019

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW 47th Anniversary Event 06/03/2019

aaa.jpg

NJPW 47th Anniversary Event 06/03/2019
    Togi Makabe, Toru Yano, Ayato Yoshida, Shota Umino & Ren Narita vs. Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, Chase Owens & Hikuleo
    Yuji Nagata & Toa Henare vs. Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI
    Satoshi Kojima, Tomoaki Honma, Tiger Mask IV, Ryusuke Taguchi & Dragon Lee vs. Minoru Suzuki, Taichi, Yoshinobu Kanemaru, El Desperado & Taka Michinoku
    Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kazuchika Okada & Hirooki Goto vs. Tetsuya Naito, EVIL & SANADA
    IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: BUSHI & Shingo Takagi (c) vs. SHO & YOH
    IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Taiji Ishimori (c) vs. Jushin Thunder Liger

Non-Title Match: IWGP Heavyweight Champion Jay White vs. NEVER Openweight Champion Will Ospreay

---

These are looking like the top two matches on the show depending on whether they are going to go with the White vs Ospreay challenge or not. But based on the crowd responses on the Honor Rising shows, Liger vs Ishimori seems like the correct way to go. It'll be a very good match no doubt and a great showcase for the Junior Division, which it needs given the shape of it and the BOSJ coming up in the next few months. The Tag title match will no doubt be as good as it does on paper. I can see Roppongi 3K winning the belts to allow Shingo Takagi to run wild in the BOSJ.

Last edited by MC 16; 02-25-2019 at 04:43 AM.

Relentless Admin

Status

Re: NJPW 47th Anniversary Event 06/03/2019

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16
    I can see Roppongi 3K winning the belts to allow Shingo Takagi to run wild in the BOSJ.
    Solid prediction, I think that's on the money.

Liger/Ishimori gonna be soooo good.

I don't know why they are running Switchblade/Ospreay (if they are), Will shouldn't be losing non-title singles matches now he's NEVER Champion.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Full card is out. Ospreay vs White is on. Very interesting indeed. Potential screwy finish incoming? I don't know. I think Will is ok to take the loss here since it's the champ.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I think Ospreay can lose clean to White if they want him to. But I do see interference taking place which is fine too.

The rest of the card looks decent too. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kazuchika Okada & Hirooki Goto vs. Tetsuya Naito, EVIL & SANADA sounds awesome.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Really good show overall. Predictably solid undercard. A really great stretch of big matches too. The Tag match was fantastic. Both came across really well. Now Shingo can go on to the BOSJ with nothing holding him back. Liger rolled back the clock and put on a really strong performance, and not to downplay Ishimori, who was awesome too. The Six man tag was paint by numbers/greatest hits but fun nevertheless. The main event however was amazing.

Heard conflicting stories on how good/bad the matches was, and I must say that it blew away the expectation I had for it. This wasn't the big move fest that usual NJ matches are, but it was filled with smart, great wrestling, along with fantastic selling from Ospreay. Ospreay really shined in this match from all angles. So did White actually. I really wasn't impressed by White during the Tanahashi match at all. He was slow, plodding and ultimately uninteresting - big world of difference compared to here. His counter wrestling style was really compelling to watch. Any time Ospreay went for a big move, I was anticipating White to pull of some slick counter. Given that White and Ospreay are two of the most popularising wrestler in New Japan, stylistically, both worked extremely well together and had yet another awesome match despite being totally different from their ROH days.

Based on the post match segment, I think Ibushi is a full gone conclusion to win the NJ Cup now. Might be wrong but he felt like the entire focus of that segment and got the biggest reaction.

Relentless Admin

Status

I really liked Liger/Ishimori, very good title match. After a so-so match with Kushida, Ishimori is now settling into a really good run of defences. I kinda wish the Liger retirement news had come out before this match so there would be even more emotion and story with this one. You'd know it's Liger's final shot at the title and you might work yourself into a shoot that they'll give him a last glory run with it like when Nagata beat Shibata for the NEVER title for a quick switch back. Really good performance from Liger to roll back the years.

Switchblade/Ospreay was pretty lousy imo. Switchblade is just no good as a main eventer, they're asking him to wrestle for too long and his heat sequences aren't engaging at all. When Will did the kip up early on and Jay slapped him straight back down with an 'oh no you don't bitch, don't show me up like that', I was like damn that's great, good heel mannerisms, maybe this will be interesting. And then it just wasn't interesting at all from that moment onwards. Zero mentioned it on twitter, the bladerunner is such a dumb move to use as a surprise counter from other moves, and I'd previously raised the point that the HFF into bladerunner for the title change looked terrible and disjointed. It didn't even look like a blade runner this time! I think maybe he should think about coming up with a secondary move that he can use more smoothly as a turn the tide counter in matches and then follow up with the bladerunner. Either way, he's faced two wrestlers I really like for this title now and they've been stinkers in my eyes, Ibushi has a big challenge ahead at MSG if he does win that cup.

Thread Information