Thread: WWE Elimination Chamber 2018 Review

Say My Name

Status
      Country                    England

Elimination Chamber WWE Elimination Chamber 2018 Review

Elimination Chamber – February 25, 2018

The Elimination Chamber 2018 came from Las Vegas, Nevada and was the final stop for the RAW brand on the way to WrestleMania. We would see the first ever women’s Elimination Chamber match as Alexa Bliss looked to defend her RAW Women’s Championship as well as one for the men which would determine the opponent for Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania. So without further ado let’s get to the show shall we?

KICKOFF SHOW MATCH: Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson def. The Miztourage (Bo Dallas & Curtis Axel)

Alexa Bliss © vs. Sasha Banks vs. Mickie James vs. Mandy Rose vs. Sonya Deville vs. Bayley
    Elimination Chamber Match
    RAW WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP
    Order of Elimination: 1 – Mandy Rose, 2 – Sonya Deville, 3 – Mickie James, 4 - Bayley, 5 - Sasha Banks

This match saw Bliss walking in as champion but upset she had to defend her title when Brock Lesnar didn’t in the men’s contest. Sounds like she had a point to me. The two women to start would be Sonya Deville and Bayley. Mandy Rose entered at three to outnumber Bayley as Absolution used their alliance to their advantage. They drove Bayley into the chain link and Sonya connected with a double leg takedown which sounds like nothing but it really did look effective. Sasha Banks was next in though to even the odds. Sasha came in and hit a number of nice spots on Rose and Deville including a double knees to Sonya onto the Chamber chains. Mandy Rose was the first woman eliminated as Banks locked in the Bank Statement. Sonya looked like she was going to break it up but Bayley tackled her out of the way as Mandy tapped. As Graves immediately pointed out it meant Rose was the first woman eliminated from the first ever women’s Royal Rumble and women’s Elimination Chamber match. Mickie James would enter at number five after Rose’s exit. Mickie looked really good when she came in and eventually ended up on top of a pod as she leapt and took out Sonya for the second elimination. However, James couldn’t spend long celebrating as Sasha Banks would deliver a Back Stabber before Bayley connected with the Bayley to Belly for the one, two, three. Banks and Bayley would then wait the rest of the time for the final woman, the RAW Women’s Champion Alexa Bliss to enter. The clock ran out but Bliss first wouldn’t come out of the pod and then scaled the cage to try and avoid Banks and Bayley. It made for a good visual with Bayley and Banks on opposite pods with Alexa cornered half way up the cage in the middle. But Sasha turned on Bayley to the delight of Graves and kicked her down as she was climbing up to the pod. Drama! After some more frantic action Bayley would deliver another Bayley to Belly – this time on Banks – but Bliss would roll up Bayley for a surprise elimination to leave it as Bliss versus Banks to become the RAW Women’s Champion. Alexa went for Twisted Bliss but Sasha got her knees up. Bliss would go on to hit Twisted Bliss from the top of a pod but Sasha would turn it into a Bank Statement and roll back in the ring with the submission applied but Alexa would escape. The finish would come with Sasha on the top rope and Alexa ramming her head into the Chamber ‘glass’. Bliss would hit a DDT on Sasha from the top to score the victory and book her place at WrestleMania.

I felt this was a solid effort from the women in their first ever Elimination Chamber match. It was laid out well with the Absolution vs. Bayley/Banks sub plot, the Mickie fire segment, Banks turning on Bayley and then Sasha vs. Bliss at the end to decide the overall winner. I never felt anyone outstayed their welcome and there were plenty of unique spots that weren’t too contrived. Definitely not the best Chamber match you’ll ever see but perfectly enjoyable for me. Bliss cut a weird promo after the match which started off as a babyface as she was getting emotional but ended up trolling the fans and telling them none of them will ever achieve their dreams. Although Bliss isn’t the best worker she really is quite something on the mic.

Titus Worldwide (Titus O’Neil & Apollo Crews) vs. The Bar (Sheamus & Cesaro) ©
    RAW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

Not much of a story coming into this one other than Titus and Apollo picking up three victories over the champions heading into the pay per view match. I’ve always been a fan of Cesaro more than Sheamus but I’ve just never got into them as a team. I think it is because of my extreme bias to wanting The Usos in every tag team match Obviously it is pretty hard to majorly impress against a team that nobody is expecting anything of. I always think Crews has potential but we all know Titus is average in the ring at best. Sheamus and Cesaro jumped Titus Worldwide before the match to try and add some heat but it never really gripped me. My lack of being into this was underlined by Titus hitting Clash of the Titus on Sheamus but me having no belief it would score the fall. In the end The Bar retained as Cesaro springboarded into Sheamus who hit the Celtic Cross on Apollo with added impact. Only a filler match but this could have just stayed on TV and cut 20 minutes off the 3 hours and 20 minutes this show was.

**1/2

Nia Jax vs. Asuka
    If Nia Jax wins she is added to WrestleMania Championship match

Asuka had yet to decide who she would face at WrestleMania but if her streak ended and she lost to Nia Jax she would be added and it would be a Triple Threat bout. This, in my humble opinion, was not very good. Asuka was pretty much dominated for the entire match by Jax which is understandable given the size difference but Jax in control just isn’t exciting. The change in the match came when Nia tried to literally sit on her jumping backwards from the top rope. Asuka moved and Jax landed on her backside instead. Asuka would lock in an Arm Bar which Nia escaped and in the end Asuka would roll her up. The most exciting thing was Nia’s post-match attack which saw her drive Asuka though the barricade. This would in a weird way appear to be her face turn before facing Bliss at WrestleMania. The camera would cut backstage to Bliss and then Renee interviewed her where she was delighted with Nia’s attack on Asuka.

**1/2

Matt Hardy vs. Bray Wyatt

This was in the early stages of the ‘Woken’ character. Bray Wyatt makes his entrance after Hardy but when the lights come back on he has disappeared. Bray wanders round the ring looking for Hardy who eventually blindsides him and the match gets underway. The match was just not great. We had a Mexican Wave, chants of Rusev Day and Graves, Coach and Cole even more unbearable on commentary than they usually are. Matt Hardy eventually won with a Twist of Fate but much like the RAW Tag Team titles match earlier in the evening this felt like something which could have easily taken place on RAW and cut some time from the show. Maybe I’m just getting harder to impress the older I get I don’t know…

*1/2

Next up it is time for the contract signing of Ronda Rousey. Kurt Angle comes out first as the RAW General Manager and he is quickly followed by Stephanie McMahon and Triple H. Chants for HHH break out as he’s clearly appreciated for what he does with NXT. Stephanie and Triple H eventually welcome Rousey out after a long list of compliments. The crowd are really into Rousey and chant her name as she keeps praising Kurt Angle and then her hero Rowdy Roddy Piper. Rousey is just about to sign when Kurt and Triple H start getting into it and then Angle gets on the mic and confirms HHH and Stephanie want Ronda Rousey to sign so they can manipulate her after her attack at WrestleMania 31. It is awfully delivered by Kurt it has to be said. There was one zinger though ‘‘Three years in the making and now we own the bitch’. Of course Ronda doesn’t take kindly to what Kurt said and Rousey’s facial expressions change. Rousey squares up to Stephanie but Triple H makes the save only to be put through the table in the ring by Ronda. Stephanie then instinctively slaps Stephanie before she realises what she has done and quickly exits the squared circle as Rousey signs the contract. Did a very good job in the end of getting over Rousey as an immediate babyface and player in taking out Triple H and not backing down from Stephanie McMahon. Good first chapter of the Rousey story but boy they made Kurt Angle look like a schmuck.

Elias vs. Braun Strowman vs. John Cena vs. Roman Reigns vs. The Miz vs. Seth Rollins vs. Finn Balor
    Elimination Chamber Match
    Order of Elimination: 1 – The Miz, 2 – Elias, 3 – John Cena, 4 – Finn Balor, 5 – Seth Rollins, 6 – Braun Strowman

This was the first Elimination Chamber match that had three people start and those three were Balor, Rollins and The Miz. That was of course after we got an Elias performance before he entered a pod. Of course they would again face off at WrestleMania for the Intercontinental Championship. The three didn’t do too much in the opening five minutes with Balor and Rollins turning on The Miz after he wanted to form an alliance with both of them. John Cena was in next in what I found quite a mundane and boring five minutes in truth. There wasn’t any action of note apart from a Double Five Knuckle Shuffle. Things started to pick up with Roman Reigns in at number five but he didn’t get much offence in. In fact The Miz would fine everyone else in the seated position on their knees and deliver the ‘It Kicks’ to the other four men. No eliminations had happened when none other than Braun Strowman entered and cleaned house. Strowman chased The Miz up the Chamber and on top of one of the pods before he threw him off onto all the other combatants. Strowman would follow it up with a Running Powerslam to get rid of The Miz.

Now that was when things got entertaining, interesting or damn right ridiculous. Elias was supposed to come in but didn’t and stayed in his pod before Cena, Reigns, Rollins and Balor all turned on Strowman. The four would deliver a ‘Shield Bomb’ and all four would cover but Braun kicked out. Cena hit an AA but Strowman kicked out at one. Rollins hit a Stomp but he would kick out again. After seemingly giving up on eliminating the Monster Among Men, the four started to fight one another with Braun down and out. They would all end up down on the mat and Elias would finally enter and try to feed on the scraps as he said in his performance before the match. Unfortunately the guitar star was unable to get any eliminations and the pace would slow down again. Strowman was soon back up and delivered another Running Powerslam, this time to Elias, who as second eliminated from the match.

Strowman kept his roll going as Cena tried his best to eliminate the Monster Among Men but just like that he was caught from the top rope and eliminated with another Running Powerslam. As Cole told us on commentary Cena now had no clear path to WrestleMania and he looked abject on the outside of the Chamber as he realised that fact. Finn Balor was the next man to try his best to get rid of Braun and very nearly did so with some dropkicks in the corner and the Coup de Grace from the top rope to the back of his head. It wasn’t to be though as Finn and Rollins then fought. Balor came out on top but didn’t score the pinfall. Balor took out Roman and hit the Coup De Grace from the top rope but before he could pin Strowman was back up and hit the Running Powerslam on Balor for another elimination.

Rollins and Reigns would work together to try and eliminate Strowman until Seth turned on Roman, the Big Dog should have known better… Eventually Strowman was back up though and they formed another alliance as Rollins hit a Frog Splash on Braun from the top of a pod but again it wasn’t enough to eliminate the Monster Among Men! Rollins has Braun in position for the Stomp but before he could connect he was scooped up and you guessed it. Another Running Powerslam. Braun had eliminated everyone and we were down to two in Braun and Roman. Reigns would put Strowman through a pod, connect with a Superman Punch on three occasions before delivering two Spears for the one, two, three to book his Universal Championship match with Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania. I felt this was a good match but really you didn’t need to watch the first 20 minutes and the mega push of Strowman felt a bit pointless with Roman winning in the end. Especially as after the match he would take out Reigns with two Running Powerslams and complete annihilate the new number one contender.

***3/4

Overall, I felt the 2018 edition of the Elimination Chamber was a rather dull affair other than the Chamber matches themselves. I enjoyed the women’s match just slightly more than the men’s but both lacked a bit of excitement. Sasha Banks was probably the standout among the two matches despite them trying to go all out in pushing Braun. And knowing what happened with Strowman at WrestleMania after just made this all the more silly. There was no need to make everyone look so weak in the way they did including Reigns. The Chamber match was fine but for me the real issue was the matches in the middle of the show and the booking. The Ronda Rousey segment was an overall hit though. This pay per view gets a 5/10 from me and only just.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

The Cream In Your Coffee

Status

Re: WWE Elimination Chamber 2018 Review

I have the Asuka/Nia match a lot higher than you do, and I would say the mens chamber is in the top 3 worst chambers of all time. It's a dreadful match and has less rewatch enjoyment than the December 2 Dismember chamber match.

Say My Name

Status

Re: WWE Elimination Chamber 2018 Review

Yeah I see a lot of people have Asuka/Nia rated higher, I just got so bored with Nia controlling it.

The men's Chamber is definitely worse on rewatch after knowing what they have done with Braun - not a lot.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Thread Information