Thread: Hideki Suzuki

WAKE UP

Status

Hideki Suzuki

Ed's second favourite wrestler!

It took me a while to warm to Suzuki - he was OK when he was in BattlARTS but not anything great, and he stood out like a sore thumb in when he first landed in Big Japan. He is totally unlike any of his peers there. Big Japan is all about stiffness, bombs, and big dudes smashing each other. Suzuki is stiff but doesn't throw hands much, and he certainly doesn't do bombs. He is a guy of the MUGA or BattlARTS ilk, like a modern day Osamu Nishimura. He often doesn't 'gel' with the usual BJW style, but I think once you get past that and look at him for what he is good at, he has become a pretty exciting guy within that sphere.

I've long thought Big Japan as a poor man's NOAH (no bad thing), and if you hold that comparison then he is akin to someone like Taemon Honda - tonnes of skill and ability, but doesn't work the same high octane style as his peers. I have not yet seen his match with Sekimoto from the end of 2018, but the Okabayashi match is a great technique vs power match and a big showcase of his wares.

The Nomura stuff is especially really good to watch and their relationship reminds me of the great NOAH master-student pairings like Akiyama & Hashi. I just watched their title match from last year which was very good. It was totally unlike all the matches with Sekimoto & friends and was a pure shoot style match, but Suzuki clearly has a good understand of the fundamentals of pro wrestling - how to play his role and present himself as the top guy, how much offence to let his opponent get, how to get them over, how to lay out and build a match, etc.

I feel like he is going to be a marmite guy because he is so unlike his peers, but once you clear expectations of what Big Japan and current heavyweight puro matches 'should' look like, it's easier to 'get' him. He might be the hipster pick.

Right now I'd have him as a low ball, but he could go higher depending on how I feel about the rest of his title matches.

The Planet's Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Hideki Suzuki

Yeah Hideki's got zero chance of making my list. Simply don't enjoy his matches.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Yeah Hideki's got zero chance of making my list. Simply don't enjoy his matches.
    I feel like I've asked this before but what matches have you actually seen of his? I feel like his rep among people who don't like him isn't backed up by his output. Would recommend watching the Nomura tags/singles match for a container story and has variety especially since Thatcher took so much from him and you like him now. I could easily see Hideki making a similar turnaround if you had a reason to be invested in him.

I think he's been clearly one of the most standout as well as most versatile workers in the world. It's hard to imagine someone having a wild brawl where he carries *insert random mediocre BJW heavy* in a tag or multi man scenario, a storyline heavy match with Nomura that's also a clinic, work as a monster/gatekeeper and do a great job of it against Kamitani, then work underdog vs one of Strong BJ in a matter of like a month or two, and he also is one of the best (and actually only good ones imo) comedy wrestlers when he ventures outside on top of it.

Number 1 isn't out of the question. What he does is more impressive to me than a lot of the other "best wrestlers" who largely just do the same stuff over and over again and largely against other talented workers. There's absolutely nobody having a singles match as good against someone like Kamitani as he did (the first time)

WAKE UP

Status

I'm not sure I buy him as a number one contender at all, but I am enjoying watching through his title run. He projects himself as a cocky scumbag you want to see get beat, but he has too much legit skill for most of the BJW roster to handle - the result is he comes across as a near un-stoppable end boss you want to see get taken down. The Nakanoue match I just posted in the media section starts slow, but then gets rocking into a really good typical heavyweight style match, and Suzuki looks way more comfortable working that style than I think he did in previous years. Nakanoue is a worthy challenger but clearly a level below Suzuki, and their roles play out respectively - I think it'd get quite a wide appeal as it's not really shoot style at all outside the opening minutes.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

Suzuki gets way too bad of a rap for being one dimensional. Just not true at all. That Nakanoue match was really good, I just wish they could have gotten the spirit of the true hatred Nak had for him in their tag matches to a singles match.

Thread Information