Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World Championship Wrestling - The Chronicle

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: World Championship Wrestling - The Chronicle

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Throw up a graphic before Nitro or begin Nitro with a 10 bell salute. *Boom* What else is there really to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by LordByron View Post
    That's all that needs to be done, Jim; that's what I was thinking of...

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    I'll be honest, if this gets any more regular then I'll give up reading it. I'm already struggling to keep up with a post every couple of days and still has a couple of posts left to read, so if you do start posting several a day then I simply won't be able to read along. I'm liking what I'm reading so far, and am enjoying a more summarised style than show-by-show break downs. Hard to give any more feedback til I've caught up though.
    Fair enough. I doubt I'll be updating as frequently as I did initially because a few of those were pre-written and just edited. I'm all caught up now. I'd like to package the recap and associated PPV together but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Millar View Post

NEW GENESIS - REVIEW

- The opening with Kanyon and Morrus was a nice way to start, nothing spectacular but putting over Kanyon and getting proceedings started.

- Booker vs. Jeff was interesting - Jeff effectively costing himself the title by relying on his guitar is a CLASSIC Jeff move, but always enjoyable. Chin wagging who these young workers James Storm and Chris Harris are though? Hmmmm.

- Pain & Gain vs. The Extremists being noted down as a match that was able to really showcase the talent of Rob and Dreamer personally is a good point to raise - like they've claimed the win, but not the sort of win that the fans would want from them.

- Douglas vs. Rhodes was certainly one for the booking in itself. Off the wall booking for this match - but regardless it does fit a potential merging of the two companies in the bizzaro fashion. It also doesn't require any takeaways.

- Chavo very much outshone the match itself - and at this point in his career he was on FIRE FIRE! So I am really looking forward to seeing how you book him in this project!

- The tag-team match was by far the highlight moment of the event with Lance Storm and Mike Awesome looking really strong with out O'Haire and Palumbo suffering for it. When the extremists came out I did think brawl - so a nice swerve when they came out to actually show respect to the champions. It was a nice touch.

- Booker-T! I mean nothing more really needs to be said that you didn't say yourself. He is the face of the WCW brand at the moment - he is the man to beat he is the top of the mountain.

Honestly Jon that a really good read and I really enjoyed it - it was a long time ago we worked together on a project but it is always a pleasure reading your work. In regards to the rate that you post - you decide whats best for you. I will review you're work when I can, and time is a length of string. You 100% have a readership, just don't let anyone dictate you're output. Post when you want to post. SOLID WORK HOMIE!
    Thanks Millar.

Dreamer & RVD are the only legit ECW signings, iirc, everyone else was already on the roster at the end of WCW's life. I'm just taking advantage of their ECW connection. It's not really a merger or anything of that sort. I imagine most of the ex-ECW guys are fucking off into the indies or heading to WWE.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    I don't comment frequently but you know I'm reading. I'd probably end up catching up if you started dumping a ton of posts per day.

Booker is going to carry you to the glory land if you let him. Book it.
    I'm sure he will if he can get off the roids.

EDIT: Oh yeah, new post coming later today.

All About That Ace

Status

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING
    ROAD TO FALL BRAWL 2001

(september 2001)

Booker T ended New Blood Rising by standing atop one of the most promising talents in WCW whilst holding up the most prized possession in the company. He would not be seen again for the next month and the sole significant mention of Booker’s name would be on the very first Nitro following New Blood Rising. With the WCW World Heavyweight Championship on a podium, Dusty Rhodes would announce that Booker had been suspended for 30 days effective immediately and stripped of his championship following a failed drug test after his title defense. The Extreme Franchise made their presence felt almost immediately to demand to know who would be given a WCW World Heavyweight Championship shot. Feeling the pressure of the surrounding faction, Dusty awarded Rob Van Dam the main event of Nitro against the most recent challenger to the belt, Kanyon, for the title itself. Of course, on the condition that if any Extreme Franchise member involved itself in the end result, Douglas & Dreamer would be stripped of their WCW World Tag Team Championship shot.

The Extreme Franchise, via RVD, dismissed Booker T, claiming they could write a new age for WCW without his help. Conversely, Planet Jarrett offered their help to Kanyon for the main event, advising the Innovator that they COULD NOT allow RVD to represent WCW as champion. Predictably, while the main event between RVD and Kanyon, to fan beloved stars, was one of the best displays in WCW in recent years, it ended in a massive brawl. Undeterred by the consequences, the Franchise made its presence felt when Planet Jarrett & DDP did as well and the championship match would end without a finish.

The American Dream was disgusted with the travesty that happened the previous night and stripped Douglas/Dreamer of their title shot as promised. Jeff Jarrett, faux-disappointed in what had transpired, proposed Douglas/Dreamer get another chance at a title shot against America’s Most Wanted, citing their own recent tag success. He also proposed that another main event title match was made, this time between Jeff and Kanyon. When Dusty agreed with both request, the Extreme Franchise made it clear that they wouldn’t allow the main event to go through if Dusty insisted on such injustice. Considering they’d have nothing to lose after interference from Jarrett helped AMW get the #1 Contendership shot for Fall Brawl 2001, Dusty couldn’t doubt their intentions. The American Dream banned the Extreme Franchise from the arena for the rest of the night.

The main event of the Nitro, Jeff Jarrett vs. Kanyon for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, predictably, ended in a non-result despite Dusty’s best efforts. In this case, it wasn’t America’s Most Wanted responsible for what transpired. While AMW stared down DDP at ringside, hoping to help Jeff win the coveted world title belt, Chris Harris was smashed across the back with a chair by a hooded man while DDP hit a cutter on Storm. When DDP unveiled the man under the hood, former ECW World Champion Steve Corino smashed his head in with the steel chair. Double J and Kanyon were the next victims as the bell rang loudly and endlessly to mark another ruined main event title match.

The subsequent Nitro threatened to explode into another brawl just as soon as it started. The Extreme Franchise featuring newest member Steve Corino, squared off with Kanyon, Diamond Dallas Page, Planet Jarrett with Dusty Rhodes in between (clearly favoring one side over the other). A colossal five on five main event was made for the night. It took some convincing from Dusty, but Planet Jarrett and the pairing of Kanyon & DDP were able to set aside their differences for the sake of WCW tonight. RVD cut a promo during a Franchise backstage interview emphasizing that their opponents weren’t “Team WCW”, this wasn’t an invasion, it was a revolution. The Extreme Franchise were as much WCW now as Dusty or Kanyon or DDP, the only difference is they intended on making WCW a better place while their opponents settled on past mediocrity to maintain the status quo.

The Extreme Franchise may have thought they had the advantage with Steve Corino at ringside during the main event but that didn’t really matter. The match dissolved into a huge brawl almost immediately with little the referee could do to reinstate order. Dusty and Steve actually brawled at ringside with Joey Styles mentioning that the two actually had a bloody history. The bell never rung to signal the end of the match so despite all measures of rules being broken, a result had to be found when RVD and Kanyon ended up back in the ring despite the referee being distracted on the outside. A result was indeed found when a man slid into the ring, spun RVD around, kicked him in the gut, lifted him up and dropped him with the Outsider’s Edge. There was quite the mixed reception when that man, Scott Hall, slid out of the ring and watched Kanyon pin RVD.

Scott Hall made his official return to WCW the following week introduced by Dusty Rhodes to another mixed reception. The time since his last run in WCW had not healed all wounds and the crowd wasn’t all that excited to see The Bad Guy return to WCW, though at the very least he was without his nWo compatriots. Dusty announced that Fall Brawl would see the return of the legendary WarGames match. Extreme Franchise could choose four of its members to face off with the WCW All-Star team of DDP, Jeff Jarrett, Kanyon & Scott Hall - a team with almost thirty WCW title reigns combined, a battle to showcase where the future of WCW lied. The Extreme Franchise happily took on the challenge and warned that WCW had never seen what a warzone the WarGames setting could be but they would with the Extreme Franchise involved. With Storm & Awesome set to defend their belts against America’s Most Wanted, it would be Rob Van Dam, Shane Douglas, Steve Corino & Tommy Dreamer participating for the Extreme Franchise.

A rematch between Kanyon and Rob Van Dam to decide who would get the first entry into the War Games match occurred on the last Nitro before Fall Brawl. Dusty ordered members of both sides at ringside, seated, and should any of them get up from their seat, the other side would get the advantage. RVD and Kanyon were able to put on the best match since WCW’s revival with the distinct lack of interference but the pressure that it might happen igniting the match. RVD and Kanyon taunted the other side aplenty to incite an easy victory. Ultimately, it was Dusty himself that cost “Team WCW” the match when Kanyon avoided a suicide dive that saw RVD crash into the WCW President. Dusty’s retaliation resulted in Extreme Franchise gaining the advantage heading into Fall Brawl.

Dustin Rhodes was strangely uninvolved in the war between the Extreme Franchise and the WCW veterans but instead was focused on holding onto his WCW United-States Heavyweight Championship. Excited to be WCW’s resident fighting champion with Kidman having lost his belt and Booker T being stripped of it, he arranged for a #1 Contendership match to his belt featuring four promising wrestlers who had never held singles gold. Shawn Stasiak defeated Chuck Palumbo, D’Lo Brown, and Sean O’Haire in a match that truly ended the Natural Born Thrillers partnership when Palumbo and O’Haire brawled again post-match.

Anticipating a respectful match with Stasiak, Rhodes proposed they teamed up and faced off against KroniK the next week. He quickly realized what the rest of the WCW fanbase knew, Stasiak wasn’t much for friendship. Dustin was left beaten and battered in the tag match. After a squash match the next week, Stasiak suggested nepotism was the only reason Dustin was in WCW, he presented himself as a real image of what WCW should be represented by.

In the meanwhile, Dusty tried to repair the relationship between Natural Born Thrillers through new assistant Marcus Johnson (the promising assistant actually vanished off TV as soon as he debuted to head to rehab), highlighting that they were a promising and great pairing and that a test of a great tag team was their overcoming failure. Such attempts were pointless and only resulted in another exchange of fists, so Dusty solved things as they should be solved in wrestling, a singles match. That quickly proved pointless when the match devolved into a double disqualification when the referee could not contain the heat between the two fiery young heavyweights.

The road to Fall Brawl concluded with Shawn Stasiak reuniting with ex-NBT partner Chuck Palumbo (a pairing that resulted in 3 WCW World Tag Team title runs in the past) to face off against Dustin Rhodes & Sean O’Haire. The more experienced side won out and Stasiak and Palumbo seemed to recognize their chemistry when they raised each other’s hands following the match. A Palumbo & O’Haire rematch was later announced for Fall Brawl with Street Fight rules (No DQ, No Count Out).

Aribba La Raza’s celebrations with the WCW Cruiserweight Championship were long and over the top. The four man group came out with red, white, and green balloons and waving flags. They took their time lifting up the WCW Cruiserweight Championship belt and ignored the jeers in the arena. Chavo remarked that this was his third time holding the belt but ensured that unlike his previous reigns, it would stay with him for a very, very long time. Any further celebrations were cut short by the arrival of Billy Kidman and Air Raid who challenged Aribba La Raza to a six-man tag. The defeat faced by Kidman & Air Raid allowed Aribba La Raza’s Psicosis & Super Crazy to officially challenge Jung Dragons for the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Championships.

Interested in testing the new challengers for themselves, Jung Dragons paired up with new WCW signee CIMA (on an open contract) to face off against Aribba La Raza. Although they put up a fight, the Jung Dragons/CIMA trio weren’t able to undo the skilled Aribba La Raza faction, particularly because Konnan remained a fixture at ringside. Kidman’s attempts to remind Chavo of his impending challenge for a rematch after the trios match were foiled by the number’s game and Kidman actually backed off squaring up with the champion.

Billy Kidman & Jung Dragons reunited on the last Nitro before Fall Brawl to challenge Aribba La Raza to another trios match (these Aribba La Raza trios matches had proven to be a solid regular feature of Nitro) but even their combined skills weren’t enough against the Latin-centric faction. Although Chavo’s rivalry with Kidman had taken a slight step back to the budding title match between Psicosis/Crazy and Jung Dragons, he managed to spark some interest in their rematch by convincing Dusty (who had ‘bigger’ fish to fry) of making their rematch a Ladder match.

Thanks to the war between the Extreme Franchise & “Team WCW” taking up most of the top heavyweights time, Nitro had become quite the playground for the bloating cruiserweight division (the night of the 5 on 5, there were four cruiserweight singles matches on the show). The former 3 Count members + Jamie Knoble weren’t deterred by their inability to challenge for the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Championships and a rivalry began brewing between the four cruisers. Initially, it happened in a series of mix and match tag team affairs, and then a series of singles matches. Alas, no real king of the cruisers could be found among the four so a four way match was settled on for Fall Brawl that would decide the next contender to the WCW Cruiserweight Championship.

One more match, hastily made, emerged on the road to Fall Brawl. CIMA, the young Japanese talent who had been working periodically with WCW since its return (mostly on the Worldwide-branded Japan shows) challenged Air Raid to a Cruiserweight Tag Team match with a partner he had found in ECW Alum and newly debuting talent Yoshihiro Tajiri.

CIMA, Steve Corino & Yoshihiro Tajiri were all signed to open contracts allowing them to continue fulfilling their commitments outside of WCW.

All About That Ace

Status

Random sidenote: I was going to do the passing 10 bell mention but I completely forgot about it whilst writing this update. It wasnt a deliberate ignoring of it but proba ly more an illustration of me just not thinking about it as I mentioned in my initial reply to what Id do. But we can imagine that they had the 10 bell salute

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

The war between Team WCW and The Extreme Franchise is very intriguing. Of course for WCW fans, it probably isn't what you want after that last six years or so is more stable warfare. But that isn't too relevant here. I love Steve Corino and really hope you strap a rocket onto him. RVD is cool, Shane Douglas has a certain appeal, but Corino would be a fresh guy to go with as one of the cornerstones of the company. The decision to bring in Scott Hall poses obvious risks and the ending seems inevitable but let's see how it goes. As far as these two factions, is Team WCW heel? Or just parts of it? It seems like Kanyon at least is one of good guys on that squad.

Booker T getting suspended is a fun little twist and a great reason to use TEW to structure your project. Now the field is once again wide open. I could definitely see RVD, Kanyon or Jarrett getting to run with the belt, but I'm not counting out Booker returning and recapturing the title. The issues that are boiling here with Book and the inevitable self destruction of Scott Hall is part of why I hope to get a BTB rolling based on a TEW game I'm running now. I've already had a few curveballs thrown my way.

The cruiserweight division isn't quite gripping me just yet but that largely has to do with my lack of interest in the wrestlers themselves. Even Billy Kidman is kind of a hit or miss guy for me. Over time, that should change I'm sure, and I would imagine the longer this goes, the more young talent you can infuse into that division.

All in all, great work Jon. You always have some interesting stories and ideas and my renewed interest in TEW definitely helps me get engaged with this on a different level. I can't wait to see what comes next and Starrcade especially has my interest once we get there because you're gonna need to pull out all the stops to make sure that show puts you back on the map.
    Last edited by Mr. Peanutbutter; 02-25-2019 at 12:38 AM.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Jam Up Guy

Status

Hey man, just wanted to send you a quick note to say I'm still keeping up with this. I'm really enjoying the summary style, and that you're booking on TEW and this is essentially a game diary means I can better switch off my "realism" brain and enjoy it for what it is.

The highlight has been your usage of RVD and the whole Extreme Franchise. That blows about Booker being suspended just as that angle was really starting to heat up, but that's the fun of booking on TEW. Surprised you completely wrote him off cold with having failed a drug test, rather than something like Extreme Franchise taking him out. But the subsequent back and forth over the title, ending with Hall debuting, was a lot of fun. I'm surprised you had Hall come back, but I get the appeal in a game of having someone of his talent and overness involved. If this was a standard BTB I'd complain about the idea of having another invading force so soon after the nWo, but for a game this is a lot of fun. War Games should be great.

The rest of the card isn't quite as hot, but it's still ticking over just fine. Stasiak isn't the type of guy I'd want to see around the US Title, but the feud itself is good fun, and I can only imagine a vehicle to get O'Haire over, as he's your next big thing (and lol at Stasiak of all people complaining about nepotism btw!) The Cruiserweight stuff isn't particularly hot - because I don't think there's any reason to engage emotionally with anything that's going on - but I am enjoying so many Cruisers being given a chance to shine.

All in all, this is a fun bit of something different, and I'll definitely keep checking in to seeing what you're up to.

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    The war between Team WCW and The Extreme Franchise is very intriguing. Of course for WCW fans, it probably isn't what you want after that last six years or so is more stable warfare. But that isn't too relevant here. I love Steve Corino and really hope you strap a rocket onto him. RVD is cool, Shane Douglas has a certain appeal, but Corino would be a fresh guy to go with as one of the cornerstones of the company. The decision to bring in Scott Hall poses obvious risks and the ending seems inevitable but let's see how it goes. As far as these two factions, is Team WCW heel? Or just parts of it? It seems like Kanyon at least is one of good guys on that squad.

Booker T getting suspended is a fun little twist and a great reason to use TEW to structure your project. Now the field is once again wide open. I could definitely see RVD, Kanyon or Jarrett getting to run with the belt, but I'm not counting out Booker returning and recapturing the title. The issues that are boiling here with Book and the inevitable self destruction of Scott Hall is part of why I hope to get a BTB rolling based on a TEW game I'm running now. I've already had a few curveballs thrown my way.

The cruiserweight division isn't quite gripping me just yet but that largely has to do with my lack of interest in the wrestlers themselves. Even Billy Kidman is kind of a hit or miss guy for me. Over time, that should change I'm sure, and I would imagine the longer this goes, the more young talent you can infuse into that division.

All in all, great work Jon. You always have some interesting stories and ideas and my renewed interest in TEW definitely helps me get engaged with this on a different level. I can't wait to see what comes next and Starrcade especially has my interest once we get there because you're gonna need to pull out all the stops to make sure that show puts you back on the map.
    I think my style of worldbuilding for a wrestling promotion tends to learn towards the side of "stable warfare". I don't mean the WCW-esque interference-ladden nonsense but more just guys communing together out of commonalities.

Full truth, Scott Hall was intended to be a one-off title defense for Booker T, possibly more if he proved healthy. With Booker T's failed drug test, this was the fun alternative.

Maybe I'll have to figure out a way to spark up the cruiserweight division. I was enjoying the stupidity between 3 Count + Knoble of shaking up partners, challenging Jung Dragons, and each other. I guess the main issue stems from Kidman / Chavo not being exciting enough? I hopefully have a good fix for that coming soon.

TEW's really awesome. I 100% wouldn't do a WCW BTB otherwise. I'm really looking forward to getting a few years in.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    Hey man, just wanted to send you a quick note to say I'm still keeping up with this. I'm really enjoying the summary style, and that you're booking on TEW and this is essentially a game diary means I can better switch off my "realism" brain and enjoy it for what it is.

The highlight has been your usage of RVD and the whole Extreme Franchise. That blows about Booker being suspended just as that angle was really starting to heat up, but that's the fun of booking on TEW. Surprised you completely wrote him off cold with having failed a drug test, rather than something like Extreme Franchise taking him out. But the subsequent back and forth over the title, ending with Hall debuting, was a lot of fun. I'm surprised you had Hall come back, but I get the appeal in a game of having someone of his talent and overness involved. If this was a standard BTB I'd complain about the idea of having another invading force so soon after the nWo, but for a game this is a lot of fun. War Games should be great.

The rest of the card isn't quite as hot, but it's still ticking over just fine. Stasiak isn't the type of guy I'd want to see around the US Title, but the feud itself is good fun, and I can only imagine a vehicle to get O'Haire over, as he's your next big thing (and lol at Stasiak of all people complaining about nepotism btw!) The Cruiserweight stuff isn't particularly hot - because I don't think there's any reason to engage emotionally with anything that's going on - but I am enjoying so many Cruisers being given a chance to shine.

All in all, this is a fun bit of something different, and I'll definitely keep checking in to seeing what you're up to.
    I'm weird in that I love suspensions. I'd love injuries and for WWF/E to start poaching guys. I love being forced to alter my plans. Admittedly I sort of know Booker is prone to failing these so it was something I was expecting at one point or another. I'm glad it didn't happen before Starrcade though.

This is probably my ineptness in explaining things but I don't see Extreme Franchise as an invading force. I think I mentioned it before but RVD/Dreamer are the only new signings, the rest were regular roster members. Aside from matching up with the Planet Jarrett interferences, Extreme Franchise has been extremely uninvolved in each other's matches and have NEVER went out and helped another member win. This is in sharp contrast to Planet Jarrett or Arriba La Raza who will GLADLY interfere to help someone else win. Extreme Franchise want to change the WCW culture but many of the WCW originals (Dusty, Dustin, Double J) like to paint them as invaders for various reasons.

WarGames wasn't the original intention. Booker T was gonna defend against Scott as a one-off but with Booker's suspension, I decided to say what the hell and go with WarGames. I'm not keen on making perfect booking decisions (I couldn't if I tried ), sometimes I do things even if they come across weird or not great/good. Bringing back Scott Hall is one of them and having a spontaneous WarGames was another.

Stasiak/Jindrak weren't meant to split but Jindrak's suspension gave me ideas for other plans for him. I enjoy his run in Mexico and want to play more on a combination of his Reflection of Perfection nickname and his CMLL Marco Corleone persona.

As I mentioned with EC, I'll have to work on sparking up the cruisers because I'd love for them to be a primary feature of WCW and one that can even occasionally start headlining. I'm hoping a long term angle centered around the cruiserweight belt and with a better face than Kidman will help.

Thanks for the review.
    Last edited by Todd Chavez; 02-26-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Status

Still reading.

I applaud you for not just being willing to adapt to circumstances, but seeking that out. Having that flexibility is something I struggle with and why I seem to struggle to base a BTB on TEW. It feels easier to create problems that I know I can accommodate rather than having to improvise to a greater degree.

Mentioned this in the TEW thread, but in a kayfabe sense, wrestlers working in units makes a LOT of sense.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

On Vacation

Status

BASH AT THE BEACH 2001 - REVIEW

• I liked the idea of the impromptu match - and Air Raid winning is a nice touch. Using CIMA and Sasuke is a nice touch as well, especially during this turning of tide in pro-wrestling
    • I enjoy you're straight shooting style - and saying it exactly how you want it. KroniK getting the win has it place, whilst explaining everything else make for a good read
    • I like the flavour being created of people dropping out and quick change to the schedule here and there, and it leading up to Rob Van Dam getting another push in the right direction - I see great potential for RVD in your project and also with Douglas and Dreamer!
    • I really value that you are using Cruiserweight Tag Team Titles (I personally think they are such a great tag-titles type) so I am really looking forward to how to progress in gauging everyones internet - you most certainly have mine.
    • The developments in the tag-team scene are also starting to really pick up, and Mechanic keeping possession of the titles was a in good move - Kronik running in for the post-match assault just add gasoline to the flame.
    • The cruiserweight are really proving to be a draw on both fronts - and the future follow up with Kidman and Chavo sounds great!
    • I thought the ending of the show was truly awesome. Booker T and Jeff competing in a truly hard fought contest and going down as the best match in the new era certainly allows you to set a high standard - so to have the Dustin/Dusty screw-over was just epic! It bring an end to the dual-reign, but also Booker-T loses the title without looking weak because of it.

Really enjoying how this is progressing Jon!

All About That Ace

Status

Fall Brawl Re: World Championship Wrestling - The Chronicle

Which one of y'all presumed I was gonna drop this thread... i was going to but decided to force myself to write the recent ppv Forgive me for this update, I sort of had to remember what I was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Still reading.

I applaud you for not just being willing to adapt to circumstances, but seeking that out. Having that flexibility is something I struggle with and why I seem to struggle to base a BTB on TEW. It feels easier to create problems that I know I can accommodate rather than having to improvise to a greater degree.

Mentioned this in the TEW thread, but in a kayfabe sense, wrestlers working in units makes a LOT of sense.
    I heard you like units so I expanded another unit slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Millar View Post
    BASH AT THE BEACH 2001 - REVIEW

• I liked the idea of the impromptu match - and Air Raid winning is a nice touch. Using CIMA and Sasuke is a nice touch as well, especially during this turning of tide in pro-wrestling
    • I enjoy you're straight shooting style - and saying it exactly how you want it. KroniK getting the win has it place, whilst explaining everything else make for a good read
    • I like the flavour being created of people dropping out and quick change to the schedule here and there, and it leading up to Rob Van Dam getting another push in the right direction - I see great potential for RVD in your project and also with Douglas and Dreamer!
    • I really value that you are using Cruiserweight Tag Team Titles (I personally think they are such a great tag-titles type) so I am really looking forward to how to progress in gauging everyones internet - you most certainly have mine.
    • The developments in the tag-team scene are also starting to really pick up, and Mechanic keeping possession of the titles was a in good move - Kronik running in for the post-match assault just add gasoline to the flame.
    • The cruiserweight are really proving to be a draw on both fronts - and the future follow up with Kidman and Chavo sounds great!
    • I thought the ending of the show was truly awesome. Booker T and Jeff competing in a truly hard fought contest and going down as the best match in the new era certainly allows you to set a high standard - so to have the Dustin/Dusty screw-over was just epic! It bring an end to the dual-reign, but also Booker-T loses the title without looking weak because of it.

Really enjoying how this is progressing Jon!
    I think I've got about a dozen or more cruiserweights so a Cruiserweight Tag Team belt is super useful instead of bumrushing newer awesome guys straight to the singles titles. The tag team belt will basically give me another step on the ladder to slow their rise to the top. I've seriously considered a Cruiserweight television and Heavyweight television belt to slow things down even more.

I like to point out how some of the matches are the best of the 'new era' but more often than not, they're good matches but not great. The standard is just low.

Thanks for the review.

presents
    FALL BRAWL 2001

The suspension of Booker T and lack of World Heavyweight Championship title defensed allowed Fall Brawl to return to its WarGames annual tradition although the star power and worthiness of such a match-up was debatable Nevertheless, in a show with four multi-man matches and two singles matches with stipulation, the double-ring ended up working well in terms of adding diversity to how most of the show would go.

The opener had effectively become the cruiserweights’ (in particular, Air Raid) home and that continued with Fall Brawl. Air Raid were challenged by CIMA and his new tag partner, ex-ECW wrestler, and new WCW signing, Yoshihiro Tajiri. It was a solid, fast-paced opener and the two teams took advantage of the two rings to pull off some impressive high risk spots. While Tajiri got his share of moments, probably shining more than anyone else, he was unable to take home the win and it was an out-of-nowhere 450 Splash from Air Styles on an unsuspecting CIMA that allowed Air Raid to build some momentum with a win.

Another tag team match followed between KroniK and D’Lo Brown & Hugh Morrus. It was a statement win for KroniK who had failed to grab the WCW World Tag Team Championship belts at New Blood Rising and needed to reaffirm their standing in the tag team division. For D’Lo & Hugh, it was another indication that their pairing was inadequate.

Although Chuck Palumbo versus Sean O’Haire was visibly a battle for the future star of Fall Brawl, it never really came across like it. It was clear Palumbo & O’Haire both were still figuring it out in the ring and not even the atmosphere of a Street Fight could prevent that from being apparent. Most would probably have pegged O’Haire as the future of WCW but the timely arrival of Stasiak allowed Palumbo to do away with O’Haire with several chair shots to the skull. After the victory, O’Haire would be stretchered out of the arena, highlighting the lengths Palumbo was willing to go, even against a man he once regarded as a friend.

Helms, Karagias, Knoble, and Moore were effectively moving away from the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team belts (at least until it was no longer strapped around the Jung Dragons waist) but they had another opportunity at gold here with a #1 Contendership to the WCW Cruiserweight Championship on the line. As with the opener, the double rings allowed this match to be a fun and chaotic affair. The two rings meant that at times we were witnessing two singles matches at once but other moments only allowed some incredible spots to be showcased. The eventual winner of the match was Jamie Knoble who managed to plant Moore with a Diving Leg Drop after a series of exchanged finishers between the four.

The cruiserweight night continued with their third match of the night, this time featuring Jung Dragons defending the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Championships against Aribba La Raza’s Psicosis & Super Crazy. With the fatal four way and tag opener having set the tone, ALR and Jung Dragons pushed it a smidge further. Psicosis & Super Crazy’s rope walking in particular proved a shift in tone from the preceding tag matches and highlight the diverse high flying culture across the cruiserweight division. It was the timely intereference of Konnan that allowed ALR to put an end to the solid reign of Jung Dragons. A murderous Brainbuster on Yun Yang put the belts around Aribba La Raza. After the match, Jung Dragons tried to confront ALR over their unfair victory but Konnan’s presence changed the numbers game until… Jamie Knoble hustled to the ring for a Jung Dragons reunion. The referees were quick to part both sides before things grew anymore heated.

Talking about heated, you could give credit to The Mechanics (Lance Storm & Mike Awesome) for the stellar tag team affair, but that would be disingenuous to the efforts of America’s Most Wanted (Chris Harris & James Storm). The tag team match between the two sides proved to be one of the best matches since WCW’s revival. The two rings, the dynamics between the rough & technical Mechanics with the younger and wilier AMW proved a strikingly unique affair. Although the were tiny stretches of domination for AMW, usually against Lance Storm, the two rings meant that this was a match that was always on without much of a breather. That was useful for AMW who were already proving to be a more effective pairing than The Mechanics (who are mostly just excellent singles wrestlers). Still, their inexperience proved their undoing and taking their eyes of Awesome allowed the man to fly off the turnbuckle and crash onto them while they had their attention on Storm. Storm took advantage to lock in a Sharpshooter and not only retain the belts but put one on the board for the Extreme Franchise. Styles had to highlight that with a bit more experience, AMW are almost destined to become tag champions.

The match of the night followed in a Ladder match between defending WCW Cruiserweight Champion Chavo Guerrero Jr and former WCW Cruiserweight Champion Billy Kidman. The belt was positioned in a rather odd spot so that it was right above the spot where the two rings met and an unusually large ladder would be needed if you wanted it to be stable while climbing. There were a few instances of Kidman & Guerrero Jr being slowed while trying to figure that out. Aribba La Raza tried to get involved in this one but Jung Dragons (including Knoble) were quick to even things out and brutalize each other. It was another fast paced match but the two wrestlers knew when to slow things down and the interference switched things up as well. Guerrero Jr took advantage of the ladders a lot more than his opponent and that proved Kidman’s undoing. When Kidman finally tried to take advantage with a Shooting Star Splash on a ladder-prone Guerrero Jr, he crashed and burned. Chavo had all the time in the world to grab the belt and retain after the fact. There was absolutely no time to celebrate because a pissed off Knoble spun Chavo around and murdered him with a Reverse Piledriver as soon as he dropped down.

Dustin Rhodes probably belonged in the main event WarGames affair but instead he was contending with Shawn Stasiak, a rising WCW star. The difference in physique was clear between the two with Stasiak often showboating and trying to overpower Rhodes, but it would be tough to admit there was a chance of Stasiak winning. Rhodes was still a big guy and he had far too much experience to simply be outdone by power. In the ending run, Rhodes almost made a full of Stasiak with atomic drops, deliberate eye pokes that had the crowd cheering, and clever counters. Rhodes eventually got the Lonestar State of Mind off to retain the WCW United-States Heavyweight Championship.

The night’s finale saw the cage lowered for the historic WarGames match. The two wrestlers to start it off were Jeff Jarrett and Rob Van Dam. This allowed for an immediately tough start to the match with Jeff aware that Extreme Franchise had the advantage. This was Jarrett’s second WarGames match and he took advantage of all of his previous knowledge to get the upper hand on RVD. Even so, it meant little when Tommy Dreamer eventually came out. Diamond Dallas Page, Shane Douglas, Kanyon, Steve Corino, and Scott Hall followed afterwards. The match only grew increasingly more chaotic but despite the lack of star power of previous years, it would still go down as a decent enough war. Scott Hall was visibly sloppy and likely gave WCW regrets with regards to bringing him in. Kanyon shone, murdering nearly everyone (including Jeff Jarrett), when he made his arrival in the match. Corino, who was still making an impression with the crowd, was allowed to take little offense but dish it all out including a string of super kicks that floored the bulk of the WCW loyalist. It was ultimately rising star RVD who hit a Five Star Frog Splash on Scott Hall to win the match for the Extreme Franchise.

The four man group were joined by Lance Storm and Mike Awesome at the top of the ramp to culminate WCW’s Fall Brawl 2001 and indicate the direction the company is heading in while the WCW loyalist were only able to look on from the cage and wonder if they had a place there.

Scott Hall was subsequently fired from WCW after wrestling the main event under the influence. Booker T will be making his return to WCW on the subsequent Nitro. Sean O'Haire was injured with a Class 1 Fractured Larynx and will not be appearing on WCW programming for the foreseeable future. Mark Jindrak has been sent to Japan on a temporary basis.

WCW Fall Brawl 2001

Extreme Franchise d. Diamond Dallas Page, Jeff Jarrett, Kanyon & Scott Hall in a WarGames match
    Dustin Rhodes d. Shawn Stasiak to retain WCW United-States Heavyweight Championship
    Chavo Guerrero Jr d. Billy Kidman to retain WCW Cruiserweight Championship in a Ladder match
    The Mechanics d. America’s Most Wanted to retain WCW World Tag Team Championships
    Aribba La Raza d. Jung Dragons to retain WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Championships
    Jamie Knoble d. Evan Karagias, Shane Helms & Shannon Moore to become #1 Contender to WCW Cruiserweight Championship
    Chuck Palumbo d. Sean O’Haire in a Street Fight match
    KroniK d. D’Lo Brown & Hugh Morrus
    Air Raid d. CIMA & Yoshihiro Tajiri

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

I'm happy to see you updated this!

I am totally looking forward to Fall Brawl in my TEW game but only have a rough idea of what I want my War Games squads to look like. I don't have any large factions going like you do, but a lot of my feuds do overlap with each other to the point where it's pretty easy to just put four faces and four heels in there and make for a believable and pretty simple set up.

You're using the Cruiserweight division a bit more effectively than I have thus far. Building AJ Styles is the right move and something I've been working on doing myself. The presence of the Cruiserweight Tag Team Championships is a good thing here. I personally didn't bring them back but I can see that the way you're incorporating them is effective in giving some more guys a sense of direction and like you said, it makes for a good stepping stone for those younger and smaller guys who are out there that can be built into future stars. The ladder match sounds incredibly risky with the belt hanging between the rings. Just seems like an extra element of risk with the ropes and apron being under the ladder. I love Jamie Knoble and his ROH run showed how good of a wrestler he actually was. I think he'd be a fitting guy to take the lead in the cruiserweight division.

D'Lo Brown and Hugh Morrus just screams Lo Down 2.0 to me lol.

Lance Storm and Mike Awesome vs. AMW sounds like a really cool match up actually. I'm a little bit torn on the name The Mechanics though.

I'm trying to give Stasiak a big push in my game. I see you're at least kicking around the idea of him being a major player by having him contend for the US Title. I think you're probably right though... Dustin Rhodes just seems like someone who should be in War Games by default.

Honestly, you downplay the star power of the War Games match but I still think it looks pretty stacked, personally. Especially since it's a cage match and by definition a brawl based match style. You've got a match full of guys who could be considered brawlers. A few former world champs. I would say a couple of potential future world champs in there as well. If this was a match that was available on WWE Network, I'd definitely be tempted to watch it over a lot of the actual War Games matches. No surprise that Scott Hall totally blew it. Oh well, at least you tried I guess. Can't wait to see what the result of Booker returning is.

I did notice while reading this something I hadn't realized before, which is that Joey Styles and AJ Styles are both on the roster. Now that's going to drive me crazy that they have the same last name.

Also, when you say Mark Jindrak has been sent to Japan, is that through a working agreement with someone or do you have a development system based overseas?

Anyways, glad you decided to update this and I hope you decide to keep things going.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status
      Country                    Poland

I've been trying to catch up on this, thought you quit, so never posted, but now you're back, so I am too. This therefore sadly won't be as detailed as planned.

I'm intrigued to see Booker T back, as I thought you've been booking him well. He's a much better focal point than the Extreme Franchise, who I am extremely blaise on. Shane Douglas proved throughout his WCW tenure to me that he was never the top talent in a top company that he thought he was. He brings this group down. Getting RVD big and Corino over are the only positives to this group.

While you've booked them well, I hate seeing Storm and Awesome in your tag division. I get it as you're light there, but man these are two studs.

I like that Kanyon is getting pushed, but it's really weird to see him go as more of a face when he's such a great over the top heel. I'm huge on Kanyon, and I think you've done splendid with pushing him while phasing out DDP organically.

I like the focal point that you're making the CW Division, but I can't say I get some of the moves being made. You definitely goofed on Helms still being in 3 Count at the start of this (he had been solo by then). Helms was definitely breaking out and was a total star for the division. It's been disappointing to see him become a real non factor in the division. I do like the use of Jamie Knoble though, although the sooner you keep Jamie San away from Yung Dragons the better off you are.

I definitely love and appreciate the slow organic way you're treating young guys like AJ Styles and AMW. You deserve big kudos for that and not just pushing them big.

However, I'm totally disappointed in the NBT stuff. You again seemed to book them wrong at the beginning (Palumbo and OHaire were a face team by then), and it seems like all three are getting nothing while Stasiak, probably the worst of the lot, gets the big push. Weird. O'Haire could be money.

I love your overall approach though. You don't just come in here and try to book "greatness" like almost every Booker here does. You're self aware and that's great. You book bad stuff, you say it. Wrestling is awful sometimes, and WrestleCrap is even better. I love that you don't take this, yourself, or your project too seriously. That's honestly my favorite part.

What is the Lone Star State of Mind?

I love that Jarrett has been kept looking important but not Champion. We all had Jarrett Fatigue at this point. Another piece of good booking.

And finally, give D'Lo the respect he deserves!

All About That Ace

Status

The ladder match sounds incredibly risky with the belt hanging between the rings. Just seems like an extra element of risk with the ropes and apron being under the ladder.
    Maybe I should've used crazy bump to reflect that I just wasn't sure how to picture a ladder match in that setting so went with the dumbest route.

I love Jamie Knoble and his ROH run showed how good of a wrestler he actually was. I think he'd be a fitting guy to take the lead in the cruiserweight division.
    I am a Knoble fan so he's for sure going to have a long term career here.

D'Lo Brown and Hugh Morrus just screams Lo Down 2.0 to me lol.
    Don't expect much they're totally a throwaway tag team for me. Morrus is gone as soon as his contract ends.

I'm a little bit torn on the name The Mechanics though.
    I'm awful at names.

I did notice while reading this something I hadn't realized before, which is that Joey Styles and AJ Styles are both on the roster. Now that's going to drive me crazy that they have the same last name.
    Joey probably won't get namedropped much if that helps any

Also, when you say Mark Jindrak has been sent to Japan, is that through a working agreement with someone or do you have a development system based overseas?
    Technically he's at a dev there

Thanks for the comments, EC. Appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom-E View Post
    I'm intrigued to see Booker T back, as I thought you've been booking him well. He's a much better focal point than the Extreme Franchise, who I am extremely blaise on. Shane Douglas proved throughout his WCW tenure to me that he was never the top talent in a top company that he thought he was. He brings this group down. Getting RVD big and Corino over are the only positives to this group.
    I'm not a big Shane Douglas guy either tbf. Not sure if it's apparent enough but he's for sure taking a backseat in the stable even if he may have felt like the star initially.

While you've booked them well, I hate seeing Storm and Awesome in your tag division. I get it as you're light there, but man these are two studs.

I like the focal point that you're making the CW Division, but I can't say I get some of the moves being made. You definitely goofed on Helms still being in 3 Count at the start of this (he had been solo by then). Helms was definitely breaking out and was a total star for the division. It's been disappointing to see him become a real non factor in the division. I do like the use of Jamie Knoble though, although the sooner you keep Jamie San away from Yung Dragons the better off you are.
    Helms wasn't in 3 Count at the start (though upon re-reading that may have been my mistake in how I explained it) but believing he needed an advantage against Kidman, he basically helped 3 Count in order to get the advantage against Kidman. They quickly abandoned him when they realized he didn't genuinely want to reunite 3 Count. Admittedly I've killed his "Ace of the Cruisers" status and may have booked things differently if I had a better understanding of his role at the death of WCW.

In any case, with Helms out of the title picture, I decided to just slip him into an extended storyline with 3 Count + Knoble and have used the 3 Count label frequently so as to not have to name everyone every time.

However, I'm totally disappointed in the NBT stuff. You again seemed to book them wrong at the beginning (Palumbo and OHaire were a face team by then), and it seems like all three are getting nothing while Stasiak, probably the worst of the lot, gets the big push. Weird. O'Haire could be money.
    I don't think I made Palumbo & O'Haire outright heels, did I? Up until Palumbo/O'Haire turned on each other, they were basically tweener to face type figures (fighting champions, dare I say). Think this may be another case of summing things up failing to make things clear. I'll work on that. They were for sure not heels at any point in this thread up until Palumbo started siding with Stasiak.

As for their status, things aren't always as they seem but if it's any indication of where things are going, Stasiak is my least favorite of the lot.

What is the Lone Star State of Mind?
    According to Goldust's Wikia: (Lifting falling inverted DDT/hangman's neckbreaker)

And finally, give D'Lo the respect he deserves!

Thanks for the review Zoom-E. Appreciate it. I remember like 10 years ago reading your Scorpion's Tale and really digging it some of the stuff that first got me into BTB writing and writing in general for sure (even if it never panned out for me over there ).

Minor update...

announces
    NEW BLOOD RISING

WCW will be airing a second 30 minute television show called New Blood Rising (named after the recent PPV, as if that wasn’t confusing enough) to contrast with WWF’s Tough Enough pseudo-reality television series where prospective wrestlers compete for a WWF contract.

New Blood Rising is set to differ heavily from Tough Enough and be presented less a reality show and more as an extended tournament of sorts though will still feature mostly green workers who haven’t made a name for themselves and don’t have a ton of experience in professional wrestling. It will rely heavily on documentary-style interview clips interspersed between matches and WCW-contracted talent coming in to give advice.

The show will last for 12 weeks between October and the end of December with the two finalist competing in a match at Starrcade for a WCW contract. Talents from around the world were selected compete in New Blood Rising, although with a focus on North American prospects. The following 15 competitors were given the opportunity to compete.

Alan - 26 Years Old - 5’9 - 174 lbs - Mexico City, Mexico
    Bob Sapp - 29 Years Old - 6’5 - 328 lbs - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Bobby Roode - 24 Years Old - 6’0 - 235 lbs - Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
    Carly Colon - 22 Years Old - 5’10 - 220 lbs - San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Eric Young - 21 Years Old - 5’11 - 232 lbs - Florence, Ontario, Canada
    Johnny Curtis - 20 Years Old - 6’4 - 244 lbs - Portland, Maine, USA
    Ken Anderson - 25 Years Old - 6’2 - 243 lbs - Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, USA
    Kenzo Suzuki - 27 Years Old - 6’3 - 260 lbs - Hekinan, Aichi, Japan
    Orlando Jordan - 30 Years Old - 6’4 - 257 lbs - Salem, New Jersey, USA
    Phil Shatter - 25 Years Old - 6’1 - 245 lbs - Hickory, North Carolina, USA
    Ryan O’Reilly - 21 Years Old - 6’4 - 268 lbs - Boston, Massachussetts, USA
    Sicodelico Jr - 25 Years Old - 5’11 - 190 lbs - Los Angeles, California, USA
    Sonny Siaki - 27 Years Old - 6’1 - 242 lbs - Pago Pago, American Samoa
    Teddy Hart - 21 Years Old - 6’1 - 195 lbs - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Travis Tomko - 25 Years Old - 6’7 - 292 lbs - Jacksonville, Florida, USA

R. I. P. Lionheart

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Roided out his tits Bob Sapp in WCW? Take literally ALL of my money sir

Impact 2014: Re-Branding When It Mattered
    In the BTB Section!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information