Thread: World Championship Wrestling - The Chronicle

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

World Championship Wrestling - The Chronicle

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING
    The Chronicle

Bonjour.

I won't stretch out this post too long. Admittedly, while it's to be expected that a WCW "Revival" thread would have a lengthy backstory explaining how it has survived, this one shall not. I'll leave it at Mark Cuban shocked the wrestling world by purchasing World Championship Wrestling from underneath Vince McMahon's nose. To follow up on that, there will not be much emphasis on the business side of things for this diary. The focus will be predominantly on me getting a chance to book wrestlers across the 2000s (and hopefully the 2010s) in a setting that isn't the WWE and can reflect a bit more my interests in professional wrestling.

Part of the reason why I won't bother with the business side of things is that I'll be using TEW as the game's base and it isn't the best at reflecting struggles nor will WWE be very competent in keeping me down so it'd feel a bit too disingenuous on my part to pretend that I'm struggling to survive when I'm probably not. There are still plenty of positives to TEW, it'll help give my thread structure, it'll help tame my roster, and it'll give me different ideas as to who to push (I can name about three guys already I probably wouldn't push if they weren't doing so well in my game). Kudos to Genadi (and co.) and BP for putting in work on a mod he never plays.

I will forewarn you that I didn't grow up on WCW and most of my knowledge of it comes from BTBs, reading random reviews, and occasionally some YouTube/Wikipedia browsing. I don't have the same level attachment for the late company that a lot of millennial (and older) wrestling fans might have. When I got into wrestling, it was WWF all the way for me. Nevertheless, the opportunity for WCW to reflect on its recent history and change gives me an easy way into using a lot of talent I enjoy and feel like could have been used differently or in more interesting ways. That isn't to say that this will turn into ROH 2.0 really quickly, unfortunately I don't have it in my bones to rush it like that, but there will be a ton of teases with regards to guys who have become huge today.

This will follow a quasi-monthly recap format. The recaps will typically follow the build to a big event and then the big event will be a separate, equally short, post. I'm doing it in this fashion because I imagine as time goes on, more brands, or perhaps a series of shows centered around a tournament may pop up that goes across multiple months. It'd be easier to have it all in one post as opposed to stretching it out in multiple monthly recaps.

If this game goes the length I'd like it to go ( ), then I'll probably encounter some tragic real world wrestling moments, for the most part I will probably have phased out the given worker or not used them at all by that point.

Upon reading a discussion that happened recently in the BTB discussion thread, I've decided to favor having new roster/championship updates at various key moments, for me, this will mostly be after the yearly editions of Starrcade. This will avoid spoilers if ever anyone wants to read what happened from the start of the thread.

Some extra worthwhile notes: ECW is, indeed, defunct. Some of their talents have decided to head to WCW, some have decided to head to WWF. The AOL contracts are still in play so many of those talents are still unavailable to be hired by either WWF or WCW.

Update will come whenever I get to them, probably usually on weekends when I've got time. Two updates a weekend would be cool. This thread will likely end prematurely, but I'd actually prefer it if it went on till TEW 2020 comes out.

Index.
    Road to New Genesis 2001
    New Genesis 2001
    Road to Bash at the Beach 2001
    Bash at the Beach 2001
    Road to New Blood Rising 2001
    New Blood Rising 2001
    Road to Fall Brawl 2001

No One

Status

Re: World Championship Wrestling - The Chronicle

World Championship Wrestling
    Hall of Champions
    (as of June 2001)

WCW World Heavyweight Champion:

Booker T (4X)
    defeated Scott Steiner on March 26, 2001

WCW United-States Heavyweight Champion:

Booker T (1X)
    defeated Rick Steiner on March 18, 2001

WCW Cruiserweight Champion:

Shane Helms (1X)
    defeated Chavo Guerrero Jr. on March 18, 2001

WCW World Tag Team Champions:

Natural Born Thrillers (Chuck Palumbo & Sean O'Haire) (1X)
    defeated Diamond Dallas Page & Kevin Nash on January 14, 2001

WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Champions:

The Filthy Animals (Billy Kidman & Rey Mysterio Jr.) (1X)
    defeated Kid Romeo & Elix Skipper on March 26, 2001

Main Roster:

Booker T w/ Paisley
    Brian Adams
    Bryan Clark
    Buff Bagwell
    Chris Harris
    Chuck Palumbo
    Diamond Dallas Page
    Disco Inferno
    D'Lo Brown
    Dustin Rhodes
    Ernest Miller
    Evan Karagias
    Fit Finlay
    Haku - Part Time
    Hugh Morrus
    James Storm
    Jason Jett
    Jeff Jarrett
    Johnny The Bull
    Kanyon
    Konnan
    Lance Storm
    Mark Jindrak
    Mike Awesome
    Mike Sanders
    Norman Smiley
    Rob Van Dam
    Sean O'Haire
    Shane Douglas
    Shawn Stasiak w/ Stacy Keibler
    Tommy Dreamer w/ Beulah McGillicutty

Cruiserweight Division:

Air Paris
    Air Styles
    Alan Funk
    Billy Kidman w/ Torrie Wilson
    Chavo Guerrero Jr
    Evan Karagias
    Jamie Knoble
    Kaz Hayashi w/ Leia Meow
    Shane Helms
    Shannon Moore
    Yun Yang w/ Leia Meow

Tag Teams:

KroniK - Brian Adams & Bryan Clark
    Mark Jindrak & Shawn Stasiak
    Natural Born Thrillers - Chuck Palumbo & Sean O'Haire
    Team Canada - Lance Storm & Mike Awesome

Cruiserweight Tag Teams:

3-Count - Evan Karagias & Shannon Moore
    Air Raid - Air Paris & Air Styles
    Jung Dragons - Kaz Hayashi & Yun Yang

Non-Wrestling Staff:

Arn Anderson - Road Agent
    Dusty Rhodes - Color Commentator
    Gene Okerlund - Backstage Interviewer
    Joey Styles - Announcer
    Johnny Ace - Head Booker
    Larry Zbyszko - Color Commentator
    Mark Cuban - Majority Owner
    Midajah - Inactive Manager
    Mike Tenay - Announcer
    Scott Hudson - Announcer
    Terry Taylor - Road Agent
    The Sarge - Road Agent

Referees:

Billy Silverman
    Charles Robinson
    Mark Johnson
    Mickie Jay
    Nick Patrick
    Scott Armstrong

No One

Status

Road to New Genesis 2001
    (June 2001)

The only time Mark Cuban would appear on WCW television after purchasing the company and sparking some new excitement in the wrestling world, it would be to unveil “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes as the new WCW President. Dusty made quick work of setting things up for WCW’s first PPVsince it’s hiatus by figuring out the challengers for the WCW titles that had remained active at the supposed demise of WCW, he would unveil this first PPV to be New Genesis. In the case of the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team titles, with the absence of Rey Mysterio Jr to hold on to the belt with Billy Kidman (due to his lingering AOL contract), the latter vacated his belt in exchange for a shot at Shane Helms’ WCW Cruiserweight championship. In the case of dual champion Booker T, the WCW headliner refused to hand over one of his titles despite Dusty’s urging that he didn’t need both. Booker remarked upon taking notes from the 1% who take more than they need, and decided he needed to start adopting that very same mentality. If someone wanted one of his belts, he wouldn’t give it away, they’d have to take it.

Every Nitro, like clockwork, Dusty Rhodes would pester Booker T about handing over the WCW United-States Heavyweight Championship but Booker would emphatically reject any proposition. In a way, this forced a rivalry with the #1 Contender to the WCW World Heavyweight Championship to the backseat. Diamond Dallas Page, one of the bigger names to remain with the company after its return, had defeated Jeff Jarrett in the returning Nitro’s main event to challenge Booker. It was clear that DDP wasn’t the man he once was from that very first victory and he was a step behind the tougher and meaner champion any time they’d controversially pair up or face off.

That tension exploded in a Nitro main event that saw them join up with Dustin Rhodes to face off against a trio of ECW Alumns in Shane Douglas and the newly acquired Rob Van Dam and Tommy Dreamer. Their discension and brawl resulted in Douglas pinning the stranded Dustin Rhodes, and was an embarassment for WCW’s legacy according to Dusty. That defeat was the straw that broke the camel’s back and Dusty asked Booker one last time to submit the US Heavyweight championship. Upon being rejected once again, Dusty arranged for a #1 Contender’s Fatal Four Way between Jeff Jarrett (a brief angle showing Double J meeting with Dusty hinted that the American Dream may have been influenced), the sparsely used Ernest Miller and D’Lo Brown, as well as Brian Adams (the other half of KroniK, Bryan Clark, had been suspended for steroid usage and thus squandered a rumored PPV match for the pair). Jeff Jarrett inevitably won thanks to some ‘tactical’ wrestling and booked himself a title shot at New Genesis.

In the case of Booker T, he now knew he would have to contend with both Jeff Jarrett and Diamond Dallas Page to emerge from the night with both his coveted gold in hand. Curiously, a main event that saw him team with Shane Douglas against Dustin Rhodes and Diamond Dallas Page indicated that Douglas and the ECW Alumns may have had his ear on the way WCW should be.

Rob Van Dam and Tommy Dreamer attracted quite a bit of attention (both positive and negative) when they debuted on WCW Nitro by opening the show and forgetting all about the rules of the ring. The match was thrown out after ten minutes when RVD and Dreamer began utilizing weapons to beat the shit out of one another. The crowd didn’t take kindly to the conflict being put to a premature end, delighting in the pleasures the ECW fans had enjoyed for many years. RVD and Dreamer, with Shane Douglas often speaking for them, would not tone down their brutality and viciousness for the sake of the tamed name of WCW and that didn’t sit well with WCW President.

After their foiled attempt at getting a trio of WCW stars to defeat them, Dusty turned to his son and two of WCW’s rising stars to take care of the issue. Dustin Rhodes was personally motivated in this matter after he was pinned by Douglas in the 3 on 3 Nitro main event, while the two sent to face off with RVD and Dreamer were the former Natural Born Thrillers pairing of Shawn Stasiak and Mark Jindrak with Stacy Keibler at their backs, now known as Pain & Gain. A backstage assault was all Stasiak & Jindrak needed to have their names heard and a match set for New Genesis.

The other two remaining members of Natural Born Thrillers, Chuck Palumbo and Sean O’Haire, had a bit more trouble despite having the WCW World Tag Team championships in hand. While they looked dominant in squash matches, they were hounded by their former challengers Lance Storm & Mike Awesome, the pair now being introduced as The Mechanics (having dropped the Team Canada moniker without any on-screen reference as to why). Dusty, not content with allowing Palumbo & O’Haire to offer title shots simply out of anger, set out to have two singles matches between the teams to decide whether a title match was indeed warranted. Storm & Awesome’s victories over Palumbo & O’Haire respectively left the NBT wondering if they’d be able to repeat a defense at New Genesis.

The WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team titles saw its contenders settled on the first night of Nitro’s return. Kaz Hayashi and Yun Yang reunited as the Jung Dragons to defeat former member Jamie Knoble and makeshift partner Alan Funk while the reunited 3 Count members Evan Karagias and Shannon Moore were able to beat Air Raid (Paris & Styles) thanks to help from the third 3 Count member Shane Helms. Shane’s interference was a clear ploy to get some measure of an advantage over Billy Kidman heading into their duel at New Genesis.

Unfortunately for Helms, his assistance of 3 Count only helped Kidman find friendship in the Jung Dragons. With each encounter between the two sides, it became clear to Karagias & Moore that Helms didn’t really care for their alliance and it ended unceremoniously in Kidman and Jung Dragons having fun playing around with Shane in a 3 on 1 handicap match after he’d been abandoned by Karagias & Moore.

WCW showed surprising patience in its restraint of using potential stars like Kanyon and the former WCW World Tag Team Champion mostly participated in squash matches while starting some sort of competitive rivalry with Hugh Morrus who saw similarly quick matches where he emerged victorious. Kanyon showed up Morrus by hitting the Flatliner on Morrus’s recent victim, proving he did the beatdown better. Morrus got his revenge by assaulting Kanyon before his own match the following week. A match between the two recently unstoppable and undefeated figures was scheduled for New Genesis.

Smaller Notes -

WCW also began running untelevised events in Japan under the banner of WCW Worldwide. Using workers from a variety of smaller Japanese promotions and largely booked in conjunction with them, as well as some of the WCW talent that had remained in the company but not appeared on WCW Nitro events (workers like Disco Inferno, Ernest Miller, D’Lo Brown, among others). The events served the purpose of both expanding WCW awareness internationally and allowing them to scout out new talent. Two signings were made out of the trip: Tomoaki Honma & Tomohiro Ishii. The two young Japanese workers also made appearances as jobbers on a pair of Nitro episodes but mostly competed on the untelevised Worldwide events.

Buff Bagwell was actually set to face Dustin Rhodes at New Genesis but being impaired during a main event match against Booker T & Diamond Dallas Page had him sent to rehab. It’s uncertain whether he’ll return to the company or not after his stint in rehab.

Editor's Notes: Last post of the day, this is probably enough of an indication for you to know whether this thread will be for you or not. Enjoy the read!

Status

Oh, WCW lives? My wheelhouse! I am intrigued.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

I’m Not Booked!

Status

I'm looking forward to this. I think a summarised version of a TEW game could actually be quite a nice breath of fresh air alongside the longer, more detailed threads on here, so I'll definitely be keeping up with it. "WCW lives" is a project that has always appealed to me, and I was very close to picking it instead of the WWE one I actually went with, so I'm quite excited to see what you come up with. Good luck.

No One

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Oh, WCW lives? My wheelhouse! I am intrigued.
    WCW Gets a Magic Genie Called Big Papa.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    I'm looking forward to this. I think a summarised version of a TEW game could actually be quite a nice breath of fresh air alongside the longer, more detailed threads on here, so I'll definitely be keeping up with it. "WCW lives" is a project that has always appealed to me, and I was very close to picking it instead of the WWE one I actually went with, so I'm quite excited to see what you come up with. Good luck.
    Thanks. This should be a fairly chill read. I used to be big on longer, more detailed threads but I am an old man now, and time is sparse. Hope you enjoy it.

presents
    NEW GENESIS 2001
    At worst, WCW New Genesis was a passable PPV with nothing offensive happening at the event (and nothing all that spectacular happening at it either).

The showdown between two wrestlers who had spent WCW’s return running through nameless workers proved to be quite short. The match between Kanyon & Hugh Morrus was a hard hitting brawl but in just five minutes, Kanyon put away Hugh Morrus with the Flatliner in a confident and decisive victory. The crowd stood firmly behind the rising star when he grabbed the mic and shouted out his trademark line with them, “Who Betta Than Kanyon?”

The United-States Heavyweight Championship match followed between Booker T and the former 3X champion, Jeff Jarrett. The match was fairly competitive, largely thanks to Jeff’s underhanded actics, for about ten minutes before Jeff decided he wanted to put an end to the match sooner rather than later. Double J decided to go for his guitar but was spotted in time by the referee. An argument ensued between the official and Jarrett, allowing Booker to take advantage, deliver a high kick to the back of the head and follow it up with the Scissors Kick. In just ten minutes, Booker retained one of his two belts. Later on in the night, Jeff Jarrett would be seen yelling backstage at two of WCW’s younger workers, Chris Harris and James Storm. One must wonder why the two athletes subjected themselves to Jeff’s tirade.

Pain & Gain, the pairing of Shawn Statisak and Mark Jindrak with Stacy Keibler at ringside, promised to put away the Extremist in their tag team match. It was a perfect contrast of looks between the two ECW stars, RVD and Dreamer, and the two rising WCW stars Stasiak and Jindrak. Two of the men looked like they belonged on a couch, and the other two looked like they were meant for the cover of a Men’s Bodybuilding magazine. The extremist actually emerged victorious in their battle against Pain & Gain after RVD hit his patented Five Star Frog Splash on Stasiak. Alas, it wasn’t the most thrilling match to showcase the talents of RVD & Dreamer.

Another tag team match followed, this time with a prize on the line. Jung Dragons (Kaz Hayashi & Yun Yang) faced off with the remnants of 3 Count (Evan Karagias & Shannon Moore). The match was meant to be a fairly thrilling and fast paced cruiserweight affair but it never quite lived up to the thrill of historically great cruiserweight matches. It might’ve been a case of the talent in the ring not drumming up excitement or that this match had transpired quite a bit before WCW’s recent revival. In any case, Jung Dragons emerged victorious to mark their first reign as WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Champions.

For the extremists, it was a bit of a mixed bag. Rob Van Dam and Tommy Dreamer were able to beat Shawn Stasiak and Mark Jindrak, although that pairing never felt all that comfortable together. On the other hand, Shane Douglas wasn’t so fortunate in a No DQ/No Count Out match against Dustin Rhodes. “The New American Dream” was willing to stoop to Douglas’s level to emerge victorious and it took a Lonestar State of Mind onto a chair for him to win.

Another quasi-ECW vs. WCW match followed when the “Franchise” Shane Douglas stepped to the ring to face off with the “New American Dream” Dustin Rhodes in a No Disqualification / No Count Out match. Rhodes showed some surprising willingness to get physical in this match, utilizing as many, if not more weapons than Douglas himself had. There was actually no interference in this match despite Douglas having the ready use of Dreamer/Van Dam in his backpocket if he so willed it. It was a Lonestar State of Mind onto a chair that sealed the win for Dustin Rhodes and left Douglas lying on the mat. Rhodes tarnished attired highlighted his willingness to go to the extreme for victory.

The worst and most disappointing match of the night was widely expected to actually be the best. Rising Cruiserweight star and current WCW Cruiserweight Champion Shane Helms faced off against the jaw-dropping face of he Cruiserweight division, Billy Kidman. Another frenetic and fast-paced affair seemed to be a tad too mindless and lack any adequate coordination. Perhaps too much leeway had been given to the two talents to put on a good match and it worked against them. Shane Helms’s first reign ended all too quickly, perhaps to the disappointment of many who had been hoping to see Helms signify a new era in the division, as Billy Kidman hit a clean Shooting Star Press to win the title for the 4th time in his career. After the match, Chavo Guerrero Jr made his anticipated return to WCW with Konnan at his side. Chavito basked in his entrance music while Kidman waited in the ring with his new belt. Chavo squared off with Kidman, a smirk on his face as he nodded to the gold. Helms hurried back into the ring to stand between the two, unwilling to be brushed away as a contender so soon.

New Genesis had been fine, perhaps underwhelming to that point, and there were little expectations that the still green Natural Born Thrillers could liven up the evening. It may be because of the presence of Lance Storm and Mike Awesome, the newly christened Mechanics, but the WCW World Tag Team Championship match actually turned out to be one of the best of the night. O’Haire & Palumbo brawled happily with Storm & Awesome for just over fifteen minutes. Storm was the smallest in the match but his technical know-how presented a great alternative to the blunter style of his partner and opponents. It was that same technical know-how that resulted in the third new championship reign tonight. Storm countered a Jungle Kick from Palumbo into Canadian Maple Leaf and Palumbo had no choice but to tap out. As soon as the match ended, Shane Douglas, Rob Van Dam, and Tommy Dreamer were out to the ring. One might have suspected a title challenge but instead, the three ECW alums grabbed the belts and offered it to the Mechanics before raising their arms and standing tall together. Styles reminded us all that Storm & Awesome were ECW alums while Tenay questioned whether Styles would go out and celebrate with them.

The main event of the night between the 4X WCW World Heavyweight Champion Booker T and the 3X WCW World Heavyweight Champion Diamond Dallas Page would deliver as the best of the night. Although Diamond Dallas Page is a wily veteran and a man large enough to go toe to toe with the heavy hitting crowned jewel of WCW, the story of his best days being far behind him continued in this one. Booker T was at his physical peak, and while he may have wrestled earlier in the night, the short length of that match versus Jeff wasn’t enough to slow him down against Page. DDP did his best to try and stretch out the match and of tiring out Booker but such a strategy was working against him as well and did not go very far. DDP was shoved away on a Diamond Cutter attempt and on the return, a boot to the gut preceded a Scissors Kick that ended DDP’s dreams of a 4th WCW World Heavyweight Championship title reign.

Diamond Dallas Page offered a handshake to Booker after the match but Booker grabbed a microphone, rejected the handshake, and ordered DDP to get out of his ring before he makes him get out of the ring. Page was disappointed but conceded and left the retaining champ the squared circle. Booker boldly proclaimed that WCW was his now, it wasn’t Cuban’s no matter how many cheques he cut, or Dusty Rhodes no matter what title he has. It’s his. As if to solidify that point, he lifted the two heavyweight championship belts up.

As for Booker T, the WCW World Heavyweight and United-States Heavyweight champion defeated Jeff Jarrett in ten minutes after Jeff got into an argument with the referee while trying to make use of his guitar. It was all Booker needed to retain the belt Dusty was desperate to get off him. Booker was back out for the main event against Diamond Dallas Page, a highly anticipated showdown with a combined 7 reigns between the pair. DDP was still a step behind his best years but it was played up in the match and contrasted with Booker’s own fatigue from his match earlier in the night. Still, Booker’s toughness meant DDP was always fighting an uphill battle and shortly after the 15 minute mark, Booker was able to hit the Scissor Kick to end the show.

WCW New Genesis 2001

Booker T d. Diamond Dallas Page to retain WCW World Heavyweight Championship
    The Mechanics d. Natural Born Thrillers to win WCW World Tag Team Championships
    Billy Kidman d. Shane Helms to win WCW Cruiserweight Championship
    Dustin Rhodes d. Shane Douglas in a No DQ/No Count Out match
    Jung Dragons d. Evan Karagias & Shannon Moore to win WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Championships
    Rob Van Dam & Tommy Dreamer d. Pain & Gain
    Booker T d. Jeff Jarrett to retain WCW United-States Heavyweight Championship
    Kanyon d. Hugh Morrus

Maple Leaf Muscle

Status

Thought I'd drop a few comments and say that I really enjoy the way this is written, nice and to the point. In regards to the show, I would have liked to see Jarrett capture the title but it appears that you are forming Planet Jarrett early in WCW as opposed to TNA with Storm and Harris. Interested to see what comes of that.

Pain & Gain should have picked up the win if you're building them but the veterans going over was smart for now in the new WCW.

Overall, New Genesis was what it was, a new beginning for WCW. It's surely going to take some time to get where it needs to be. Can't wait to see what comes next!

No One

Status

Bash at the Beach Re: World Championship Wrestling - The Chronicle

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Bananas View Post
    Thought I'd drop a few comments and say that I really enjoy the way this is written, nice and to the point. In regards to the show, I would have liked to see Jarrett capture the title but it appears that you are forming Planet Jarrett early in WCW as opposed to TNA with Storm and Harris. Interested to see what comes of that.

Pain & Gain should have picked up the win if you're building them but the veterans going over was smart for now in the new WCW.

Overall, New Genesis was what it was, a new beginning for WCW. It's surely going to take some time to get where it needs to be. Can't wait to see what comes next!
    Thanks! I think pairing up a cowardly heel with some young bucks makes for easy material. Definitely going to be occasions where I do concepts a lot earlier than they happened in real life. Although, I'm not sure how frequent those will be.

Not much of a difference between Stasiak(31)/Jindrak(24) and RVD(30)/Dreamer(30) age wise actually. Definitely got plans for all four dudes though.

Thanks for the comment. I'm enjoying doing the background work on this.

Road to Bash at the Beach 2001
    (July 2001)

The tension between Booker T and Dusty Rhodes continued to grow on the road to Bash at the Beach. The ECW Alums, now collectively dubbing themselves the Extreme Franchise (Shane Douglas, Rob Van Dam, Tommy Dreamer, Lance Storm, and Mike Awesome) had Booker T surrounded in the ring with a proposal that Booker join them. Their thought process was simple, Booker wanted the same thing they did: a WCW reform, and together, they could get that done. Booker wasn’t quite so willing to put his name next to theirs though did not outright reject the offer and the Franchise allowed him to leave the ring without further conflict.

That lack of outright refusal did not sit well with the Rhodes’ family or Jeff Jarrett. Dusty ordered a #1 Contender’s match for the WCW World Heavyweight championship between his son Dustin Rhodes and The Chosen One. It was a mistake for Dusty to allow himself to be manipulated in puttng Jeff Jarrett in that contendership match and it showed when Jeff utilized new allies Chris Harris and James Storm to get an underhanded win on Dustin and book his spot in the main event of Bash at the Beach. Furthermore, the formation of what the Chosen One called “Planet Jarrett” only pushed Booker further by the side of the Extreme Franchise.

Dusty would not allow the fight over the face of WCW to fall too far out of his grasp. Utilizing the increasing adoration for Rob Van Dam by the WCW fanbase and his consistent pinfall victories in tag matches, including one paired up with Booker & Douglas against Planet Jarrett, Dusty decided to have a WCW Nitro main event featuring Rob Van Dam and Booker T. It was a close affair between RVD and Booker but the involvement of Jeff Jarrett robbed the fans of ever finding out who would emerge victorious and drived a wedge between Booker and the Extreme Franchise (notably RVD who did not feel Booker was a necessary addition to the Extreme Franchise).

The WCW President was willing to give RVD another shot at Booker since the previous one was foiled, the catch was that he had to defeat Dustin Rhodes and the victor would earn a shot at the WCW United-States Heavyweight championship at Bash at the Beach. RVD once again fell short, this time losing by count out but having hurt Dustin enough that the “New American Dream” had to be helped backstage by his father. There was now doubt as to whether Dustin would be fit enough to challenge Booker T for the title at the PPV.

Chavo Guerrero Jr made his in-ring return to WCW with a victory over Air Styles, partially thanks to the presence of Konnan at his side. Shane Helms wasn’t pleased with Chavo trying to cut in line when he had his rightful rematch against Billy Kidman for the WCW Cruiserweight championship. Of course, there was an easy solution to this dilemma that had arisen: Shane Helms would face Chavo Guerrero Jr and if Chavo won, the WCW Cruiserweight match would become a triangle match. The individual who would propose the scenario was none other than Kidman himself who wanted to be seen as a fighting champion.

Shane Helms resorted to the same cowardly tactics that soured his relationship with Shannon Moore and Evan Karagias and tried to lose the match on a count out when he saw the match going left field for him. It took Billy Kidman emerging out from the curtains for Helms to run back to the ring only to be get taken out by Chavo. If Helms had any concerns about the odds being against him at Bash at the Beach, he had nothing to worry about. Chavo quickly showed there was no alliance between him and Kidman when he turned on Kidman during a tag team match against Helms and the recently abandoned Shannon Moore (more on that later). Furthermore, with Kidman and Chavo turning their focus on each other in a tag team match that also featured Konnan and a rare appearance from Haku, it was Helms that was left the last man standing on the road to the PPV.

A huge collision between the Extreme Franchise (all five members) and the makeshift team of Natural Born Thrillers, Pain & Gain, and Diamond Dallas Page marked the renewal of the rivalry between The Mechanics and the Natural Born Thrillers. Although their side failed to pick up the win, the following week, NBT decided to challenge The Mechanics to singles rematches in a bid to redeem themselves from their failures in the previous month. Although Palumbo once again failed to pick up the win, this time against Awesome, Sean O’Haire showed hints of future potential by picking up the win in his match against Lance Storm.

Eerily similar to the WCW Cruiserweight Championship situation, Kanyon & Diamond Dallas Page tried to insert themselves into the title picture by interrupting a confrontation between NBT and The Mechanics. The NBT agreed to take on Kanyon & DDP (though no official prize was placed for this match) but showed that they still had a great deal of fight in them by emerging victorious after O’Haire pinned DDP. On the final Nitro before Bash at the Beach, the Natural Born Thrillers agreed with Dusty to face The Mechanics on their turf, a No DQ/No Count Out match. A brutal brawl backstage between the two teams punctuated and hinted at what might happen at the PPV.

A singles match between two of the competitors from the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team match at New Genesis, Yun Yang and Evan Karagias, set things in motion for who would compete for the belts at Bash at the Beach. After Kaz Hayashi & Shannon Moore square off at ringside to end any possibility of outside interference, former member of the Jung Dragons and partner of Evan Karagias, Jamie Knoble, made his presence felt by aiding Evan in getting the victory over Yun Yang. The following week, a 3 v 3 match which saw brief Knoble partner Alan Funk team with the Jung Dragons and featured Yun Yang pinning Shannon Moore, helped Knoble plead his cause to Karagias as a better partner.

Evan was convinced and decided to challenge the Jung Dragons for the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team championships with Jamie Knoble by his side time time. Jung Dragons decided to accept only to quickly regret that decision when Shannon Moore appeared to have reconciliated with Knoble and Karagias and aided them in a beatdown of the champions.

After Diamond Dallas Page’s defeat at the hands of Booker T, and getting pinned in a 5 v 5 versus the Extreme Franchise, his morale was at an all-time low and doubts began creeping in about how much longer he had left. It took Kanyon coming out after the 5 v 5 match to ward off Pain & Gain and lift up his old friend Diamond Dallas Page. The pair showcased their old chemistry when they defeated Pain & Gain to prove that DDP wasn’t the dead wood he was beginning to think he was.

Unfortunately, after Kanyon and Diamond Dallas Page failed in their attempt to insert themselves into the tag title picture, all of DDP’s doubt came racing back in. He wanted to really prove himself and being carried by someone else wasn’t the way to do it, he wanted a match again a top rising talent, he wanted to face Kanyon at Bash at the Beach. Kanyon refused the match and DDP took that as pity, spiking Kanyon down to the mat with the Diamond Cutter. Licking his wounds backstage, Kanyon decided that if DDP wanted to be put down, then… well… maybe DDP was right, “Who Betta Than Kanyon?” for the task?

A smaller story that stemmed from the build-up to Bash at the Beach was Pain & Gain geting a match against Fit Finlay & D’Lo Brown that was all but certainly going to be an establishment victory for Jindrak & Stasiak. After winning a squash match, they would proclaim their loss to DDP/Kanyon as being nothing but an off-day or a fluke, and the tough-as-nails Finlay & Brown would opt to letting them reconsider those thoughts. Jindrak & Stasiak would quickly walk away to fight another day. Alas, Mark Jindrak was suspended for steroid usage and so the story was put to a quick end.

D’Lo and Finlay came out to call out Jindrak & Stasiak the following week but it was KroniK that showed up instead and did away with Brown and Finlay quickly, getting right in line for the WCW World Tag Team Championships.

Other Notes:

WCW is set to finish up in Japan with its Worldwide series. Their two-month commitment in Japan has beared fruits and they’ll be airing WCW Nitro and their monthly big events through NTV from now on. Mike Awesome can be credited for the success of the shows having a series of tremendous matches with Japanese talent like CIMA (who subsequently got a spot at Bash at the Beach), the legendary Shinya Hashimoto, and a rematch with rival Hayabusa. WCW Worldwide will be touring Australia & some parts of Europe for the foreseeable future. This isn’t the end of WCW running local shows in Japan, rumors are abound that they’ll continue assisting in running even smaller scale local shows in Japan, mostly with the goal of recruiting talents. The likes of Kaz Hayashi, Tomoaki Honma, Tomohiro Ishii and possibly former ECW star Yoshihiro Tajiri may make appearances at these smaller events.

A relationship is still being maintained between WCW and NWA: Wildside and several independent talents have been signed to developmental contracts to compete there:

Afa Anoai’i Jr
    Brent Albright
    Bryan Danielson
    Harry Smith
    Incognito
    Jack Evans
    Jimmy Jacobs
    Joey Matthews
    Joey Ryan
    Johnny Curtis
    Ken Anderson
    Kenny Omega
    Kevin Fertig
    Kevin Steen
    Lance Hoyt
    Matt Bentley
    Matt Cross
    Matt Sydal
    Monty Brown
    Rene Dupree
    Shawn Hernandez
    Sonjay Dutt
    Sterling James Keenan
    TJ Perkins
    TJ Wilson

Sidenote: Most of these signings were done largely because they were unemployed in game at the time and I wanted to have them actively working/developing. On another note, I don't really intend for the booking to be great/perfect. I do deliberately make random/shitty booking decisions at times mostly because they can liven things up a bit. On another note, the WCW Worldwide thing is 100% unrealistic but in-game is the best way to expand internationally and gives me a chance to use a lot of random guys I know I won't touch for many in-game years.

No One

Status

Bash at the Beach Re: World Championship Wrestling - The Chronicle

presents
    BASH AT THE BEACH 2001

Bash at the Beach would feature a fair few impromptu matches. Air Raid, the pairing of Paris and Styles, opened the show with a cruiserweight tag team match that saw them face off against CIMA and Great Sasuke, two loanees that were regulars on the Worldwide events in Japan. It was a rare win for Air Raid that might hint at bigger things for them on the roster and it was undoubtedly a more entertaing performance than either of the cruiserweight bouts from New Genesis.

KroniK made their return to WCW ppv facing off against the pairing of Ernest Miller & Norman Smiley, a predictable squash considering the latter pairing weren’t getting much, if any, screen time since the revival of WCW. Initially, this match had been set to be a showdown between Finlay & Brown against Pain & Gain but the unexpected suspension of Jindrak gave KroniK a way back into the tag team division after one half of them had suffered their own suspension for the same reasons.

After it was unveiled that Dustin Rhodes still wasn’t cleared to compete, Rob Van Dam volunteered to take his place against Booker T for the WCW United-States Heavyweight Championship. Dusty listened to the offer but instead had Hugh Morrus face off against RVD instead. Hugh had been complaining about his own “injuries” suffered at the hands of Kanyon since New Genesis and evaded competing for most of the build-up to Bash at the Beach. His attempts to use that injury to fake out RVD failed and he was handily defeated by the Extreme Franchise member. The crowd were notably behind RVD when he made his trademark self-pointing taunt and when he hit the Five Star Frogsplash to get the win.

More Extreme Franchise action followed with a tag team match between Shane Douglas & Tommy Dreamer against Jeff Jarrett’s stooges, America’s Most Wanted: Chris Harris and James Storm. The two young wrestlers weren’t much of a match for the extreme and aggressive veteran pairing they were forced to face. Shortly after the match Douglas & Dreamer asked Booker if they wanted them to make sure Harris & Storm didn’t interfere in his own title defense tonight. Recalling the bad blood between him and RVD, Booker opted out of the help.

Kanyon squared off against Diamond Dallas Page in an emotional singles match that continued Diamond’s fall from grace in WCW. DDP did his best against Kanyon, becoming increasingly aggressive and relentless in his desire to fend off father time, but that only served to urge on Kanyon into being aggressive in his own way. In the end, Diamond didn’t have it in him to beat Kanyon, a man bound for bigger things in WCW. Kanyon found victory after a Kanyon Cutter that left DDP decisively down for the count. After the match, Kanyon helped Diamond up and hugged him but this night did nothing more than affirm those doubts that were eating away at the former WCW World Heavyweight Champion.

The Jung Dragons could remain comfortable in the knowledge that Shannon Moore wouldn’t be interfering in the Cruiserweight Tag Team match after he told both Knoble/Karagias and Helms that they were on their own having grown tired of their pestering for assistance in their respective title matches. Alas, for Evan Karagias, the addition of Knoble wasn’t enough of a change to help him get over the hill that is Jung Dragons. The fast-paced cruiserweight match ended in a retention for Jung Dragons who were proving a solid anchor for the Cruiserweight Tag Team division. The match was a step up from the title match at New Genesis and a step in the right direction for the division.

Another tag team match followed, this time switching out big high flying spots for some hard-hitting and brutal action. Lance Storm & Mike Awesome defended their newly acquired belts against Natural Born Thrillers in a match where the referee basically had little control over the proceedings. It was a heavy hitting side that featured chair and cane shots aplenty. The brawl ended in the favor of The Mechanics when Awesome hit his Awesome Bomb through a table on Chuck Palumbo and followed it up with a pin. For the young team of NBT, this would prove an intriguing moment to see if they could rise above two straight PPV defeats and remain intact. After their hardfought victory, Lance Storm & Mike Awesome found themselves on the bad end of a beating from the returned KroniK, clearly trying to establish their place as the next challengers. Considering Storm & Awesome received solid reactions (along with most of the Extreme Franchise) from the crowd, and Natural Born Thrillers were working as quasi-babyface since WCW’s revival, KroniK’s presence would present a welcome clear division of alignments in the prospective next challenge.

In the penultimate match of the night, Billy Kidman would face off against Chavo Guerrero Jr and Shane Helms with his Cruiserweight championship on the line. Having underperformed at New Genesis, the cruiserweights brought it in this match. The addition of Chavo helped add some variety to the numerous spots throughout this affair. Konnan was often present to pester both Kidman and Helms, and take cheap shots when the referee was distracted. It allowed some more logic to those stretches where only two guys were in the ring. It took Kidman shoving Chavo off the top rope and onto Konnan so he could climb up and hit his Shooting Star Press on Helms to put an end to the chaotic match. Chavo was clearly disappointed to have been uninvolved in the finish but Kidman knew very well that he wasn’t done with Chavito Heat.

The main event of the night was the easiest time WCW had in cheering for Booker T in a long while what with his recently selfish on-screen behavior. Despite protesting the Extreme Franchise’s assistance, Tommy Dreamer and Shane Douglas along with Rob Van Dam fended off Harris & Storm to ensure this was a fair singles match. Double J dug deep into his bag of heels tricks in his match against Booker T but none of them would work against one of the toughest men in wrestling, especially after he had used so many of them at New Genesis. While Jarrett managed to avoid turning to his guitar and thus having this match last much longer than their previous one, he still fell to the Scissors Kick by the 17th minute of the match. The match was the best since WCW’s revival and Booker continued to reward WCW’s faith in him as the face of the company.

While everyone may have expected the show to end there, Dusty Rhodes would come out to unveil the great news that Dustin Rhodes was now cleared to compete. A short 6 minute match followed whereby Booker did his best to compete but could not survive against a fresh (and completely healthy) Dustin Rhodes. When the bell rung again, Booker was no longer a dual champion. Dustin Rhodes held the United-States Heavyweight Championship for the first time since 1993 and nearly cried holding the belt to a mostly negative reaction from the crowd. Dusty hugged his son to end the show while Booker wondered at ringside what just happened and visibly became angry as it came to him.

Bash at the Beach 2001 Results:
    Dustin Rhodes d. Booker T to win WCW United-States Heavyweight Championship
    Booker T d. Jeff Jarrett to retain WCW World Heavyweight Championship
    Billy Kidman d. Chavo Guerrero Jr & Shane Helms to retain WCW Cruiserweight Championship
    The Mechanics d. Natural Born Thrillers to retain WCW World Tag Team Championships in a No DQ/No Count Out match
    Jung Dragons d. Evan Karagias & Jamie Knoble to retain WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Championships
    Kanyon d. Diamond Dallas Page
    Shane Douglas & Tommy Dreamer d. America’s Most Wanted
    Rob Van Dam d. Hugh Morrus
    KroniK d. Ernest Miller & Norman Smiley
    Air Raid d. CIMA & Great Sasuke

Maple Leaf Muscle

Status

Bash at the Beach was an interesting show, a lot of random matches that were seemingly thrown together but that's alright.

The return of KroniK was interesting and it's nice to see the tag team division heating up, I wonder if America's Most Wanted will be able to get in on it, even after their loss to Douglas and Dreamer?

I think Diamond Dallas Page is on his way to retirement which is unfortunate because I like him but I could see him as an authority figure or other on-screen talent if he does retire.

I think The Mechanics are going to have a lengthy run as the tag team champions but KroniK is definitely going to give them a run for their money.

Wish Jarrett had won the title here but I'm sure he will eventually. As for Dusty giving his son a title shot, I don't see that going over well with the Board of Directors, nepotism anyone? Will be interesting to see what comes of that!

Indy Talent

Status

I highly suggest fixing your table. For people reading on a phone, your table comes up so that you have to scroll left and right to read everything. It's highly annoying, and the sole reason why I haven't really read this yet. Rasky had the same issue with his table for shows too initially

No One

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Bananas View Post
    Bash at the Beach was an interesting show, a lot of random matches that were seemingly thrown together but that's alright.

The return of KroniK was interesting and it's nice to see the tag team division heating up, I wonder if America's Most Wanted will be able to get in on it, even after their loss to Douglas and Dreamer?

I think Diamond Dallas Page is on his way to retirement which is unfortunate because I like him but I could see him as an authority figure or other on-screen talent if he does retire.

I think The Mechanics are going to have a lengthy run as the tag team champions but KroniK is definitely going to give them a run for their money.

Wish Jarrett had won the title here but I'm sure he will eventually. As for Dusty giving his son a title shot, I don't see that going over well with the Board of Directors, nepotism anyone? Will be interesting to see what comes of that!
    Chris Harris/James Storm are still pretty young & inexperienced so they're starting to get their feet wet.

Technically, Dustin received a #1 Contendership match against RVD which he won via count out. Was too injured to compete. Then was magically able to compete by the end of the night and handily beat Booker. Not quite being handed a title shot but definitely being put in the right circumstances to have that title shot pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom-E View Post
    I highly suggest fixing your table. For people reading on a phone, your table comes up so that you have to scroll left and right to read everything. It's highly annoying, and the sole reason why I haven't really read this yet. Rasky had the same issue with his table for shows too initially
    Removed the tables. I like the look of them but probably little point in keeping them if it makes the reading impossible. Although a large part of me considered keeping them if only to avoid the possibility of the criticism then turning to what's been written.

No One

Status

Editor's Notes: Not quite sure if I have silent readers or not. I've mostly been pacing these posts so as not to rush with a ton of stuff to read but if hypothetically this thread has no readers (or not many) I might just post as I finish updates instead of spreading them out. If you'd like to object to me hypothetically making 3-4 updates in a day (at-times), let me know otherwise I'll probably post to my heart's content which could mean anything from 1 to like 5 posts in a day.

ROAD TO NEW BLOOD RISING 2001
    (august 2001)

There wasn’t a happy bone in Booker T’s body when he appeared on the Nitro following Bash at the Beach short a title. He called out Dusty Rhodes almost immediately about what had transpired at the PPV and was nearly about to assault the man who he believed had wronged him, furthermore, even the crowd seemed all for the idea. Dusty sympathized with Booker and was quick to offer him a rematch for the title in tonight’s main event, but he also insisted that a new challenger for the title he still held was necessary. Rob Van Dam emerged to roars of approval to suggest he was the obvious #1 one option, but Diamond Dallas Page’s emergence from beyond the curtains to suggest that Kanyon was made a contender - not only because he best represented WCW but also because he’d had an impressive victory the night before - won out.

Booker T’s concerns with regards to the WCW United-States Heavyweight Championship had to be put to bed after Jeff Jarrett and America’s Most Wanted intervened to help Dustin Rhodes retain it in the night’s main event. While Booker may have wanted to enact further revenge, Diamond Dallas Page and Kanyon made sure that he focused on his New Blood Rising challenger instead. Rob Van Dam, who had emerged victorious in a tag team match with Shane Douglas against the pair the Nitro before, was eager to show he was better than them once again and volunteered to team with Booker T against the Tri-State tandem. Once again, Booker proved his inability to work well with others and arguments between him and RVD left him sprawled on the mat after a spinning kick to the head. He was vulnerable to the Kanyon Cutter afterwards.

The WCW World Heavyweight Champion had quickly gone tired of underhanded endings to his matches and challenged Kanyon to face him the very next Nitro for his belt. DDP wasn’t keen on Kanyon losing his opportunity to main event New Blood Rising and take the belt on a big stage and volunteered to have a rematch with Booker T instead. The champion had a hard time focusing that night due to Kanyon’s presence at ringside, but much to his shock, RVD would emerge to even the odds and brawl with Kanyon. It appeared that the Extreme Franchise’s insistence that RVD settle things positively with Booker had won out. Thanks to RVD’s evening of the odds, Booker was able to finish the job on DDP once again.

Rob Van Dam admitted that he was wrong in turning his back on Booker in their tag team match, that they’re in the same boat and Dusty doesn’t want to see either of them succeed in WCW. He wanted to wipe the slate clean. Booker reluctantly seemed to accept the peace treaty but it was clear the two had such opposite personalities, one intense and prone to anger, the other low key and chill. Booker turned his attention back to Kanyon at the end of that Nitro for a contract signing that quickly saw him literred in table pieces at the hands of Kanyon.

Diamond Dallas Page may have enjoyed helping propel Kanyon to a WCW World Heavyweight Championship match, but he wasn’t content with how often he ended up on the wrong side of his encounters with RVD. Getting pinned by the budding star in a tag match early in the month had hurt, but having RVD cost him a big redemption match against Booker had really done it. DDP decided to call out Van Dam and completely lost his cool when he found the crowd strongly supporting the ECW Alum over the WCW legend, it ended with RVD being taken out with a Diamond Cutter and a showdown arranged for New Blood Rising.

After helping Dustin Rhodes defeat Booker T and retain the WCW United-States Heavyweight Championship, Jeff Jarrett was happy to knock Dustin out with a guitar straight to the skull. The following week, Dustin Rhodes paired up with Johnny The Bull to lose to America’s Most Wanted (their first tag team victory on Nitro) when Jeff involved himself again. Double J pointed out that anytime Dustin wins or losses, Jeff is usually the reason why. If Jeff wanted it, Dustin wouldn’t be WCW United-States Heavyweight Champion anymore. Although “The New American Dream” had ample opportunity to step up to Jeff, with AMW in the ring, Dustin reluctantly walked away from entering the ring.

It took a pep talk from Dusty Rhodes for Dustin to man up. True or not, Dusty reminded Dustin of his title as the “New American Dream”, that title meant he was the hardest working man in all of WCW, no one was responsible for his success but his own damn self. That was enough for Dustin to go out to the ring and call out Planet Jarrett. The trio walked out confidently and were quickly taken unawares by the arrival of D’Lo Brown & Hugh Morrus. A hurriedly made 3 on 3 saw Planet Jarrett fall to Dustin’s hastily assembled allies.

After some chastizing of the two junior members of Planet Jarrett, Double J requested a rematch and a title shot if his trio did win, Dustin happily accepted. Having been pushed to an initiative by Jeff, and taking notes from KroniK (more on that later), Hugh Morrus & D’Lo Brown found themselves assaulted and beaten down backstage by AMW before the 3 on 3 match. The match turned into a handicap and despite Dustin’s valiant efforts, he succumbed to Jeff and now had a title match set for New Blood Rising.

One might say that one of Billy Kidman’s weaknesses is that he’s quite the fighting champion. That came into play when Chavo Guerrero Jr claimed that had it been a singles match, he would’ve handily beaten Billy Kidman. The champion was eager to put it to the test and offered up a title match at New Blood Rising should Chavo beat him in a singles on Nitro. Kidman did not account for Konnan’s involvement in the match and the result went in favor of the challenger despites his best efforts.

After Billy got one over on Chavo in a 3 on 3 match that saw him team with Air Raid against Chavo & the Cruiserweight Tag Team Champions Jung Dragons where Chavo clashed with his partners over and over again, he criticized Chavo for not having any allies in the Cruiserweight division. Give Chavo credit where he’s due because he actually took Kidman’s advice to heart and the following week he introduced to Nitro Aribba La Raza. Arriba La Raza consisted of Chavo Guerrero Jr, Konnan, the returning two-time WCW Cruiserweight Champion Psicosis, and the debuting Super Crazy. The trio of Chavo, Psicosis & Crazy skillfully defeated Billy Kidman and Air Raid. The following week, Chavo repeated his success against Air Styles and warned Kidman that he’d made a mistake talking too much, and it would cost him at New Blood Rising.

KroniK made their mark in the WCW World Tag Team title picture with a solid victory at Bash at the Beach against veterans Ernest Miller and Norman Smiley and then an assault on the Mechanics after their title defense. However, the Mechanics and Natural Born Thrillers were quick to dismiss that they should be first in line because of a cheap assault. O’Haire & Palumbo had a chance to prove that firsthand in a tag team match but failed after some miscommunication that truly solidified KroniK’s spot in the contendership ladder.

The following week, it all but seemed that KroniK were set to challenge for the titles but Shane Douglas and Tommy Dreamer, two members of Extreme Franchise that had seen quite a bit of tag success objected to being looked over and the Mechanics supported their claim for the title. A triple threat tag team match was set to decide the #1 Contenders to the title by Dusty Rhodes featuring another opportunity for the Thrillers. Alas, when the two Extreme Franchise members as well as the NBT were found beaten down and unable to compete for the match, KroniK were automatically awarded the title shot at New Blood Rising.

Dusty understood the Extreme Franchise and NBT complaints that KroniK were responsible for the attack but with no proof (his deliberate refusal to acknowledge the obvious would trap him when AMW did the same to his son’s partners the next week), all he could do was give them a chance to see who would be first in line afterwards by facing off in a #1 Contendership match at the PPV.

With Shane Helms getting pinned at Bash at the Beach and Evan Karagias & Jamie Knoble failing to beat Jung Dragons, Shannon Moore was happy to take credit for all of their previous success - the evidence was that they failed without his assistance. While Knoble & Karagias vehemently disagreed, Helms, realizing he was in jeopardy of not being involved in any title picture, agreed that Moore deserved a lot more appreciation. Helms & Moore set out to prove that by beating Jung Dragons that very same night in a non-title match.

Karagias & Knoble saw the writing on the wall, they had to prove that Helms & Moore weren’t better or they’d be out of getting another shot at New Blood Rising. Karagias & Knoble managed to get themselves a match against Helms & Moore and got themselves a victory to put Moore/Helms possible title shot in jeopardy. The Jung Dragons had a tough decision in trying to figure out who they would defend the title against at New Blood Rising so Dusty proposed a stipulation: one member of each team would participate in a triangle match, if one of the challengers won, their side would get a shot at the PPV, if Jung Dragons won, they could pick whoever they wanted to face.

The triple threat match featured Kaz Hayashi, Shane Helms & Jamie Knoble and it was ultimately one half of the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team champions that won. The following week, Helms/Moore and Knoble/Karagias both made their pleas for getting the title match so Jung Dragons settled on a solution: they would defend the builts in a triangle tag team match but if they retained, none of the four would be allowed to challenge for the belts as long as Jung Dragons held them.

Shawn Stasiak & Mark Jindrak’s Pain & Gain tandem seem to come to a swift end. Thanks to Mark Jindrak’s suspension last month, Shawn Stasiak felt that he had been robbed of a PPV match. After three weeks of beating down opponents in quick matches and slandering the name of Jindrak, the other half of Pain & Gain finally returned to Nitro. Jindrak tried to plead his case to Stasiak and insisted that they would be stronger together but Shawn wanted nothing to do with him. Much to Shawn’s shock however, Stacy decided to side with Jindrak in the conflict. This only enraged Stasiak who assaulted Jindrak and demanded a match at New Blood Rising to prove Jindrak was the dead weight of their pairing.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Good and interesting diary so far; I wonder what WCW's reaction to the 9/11 attacks will be...

No One

Status

Quote Originally Posted by LordByron View Post
    Good and interesting diary so far; I wonder what WCW's reaction to the 9/11 attacks will be...
    I'll be straight up, it will be completely non-existent. It's just not something I'm interested in addressing, I understand that would probably seem unrealistic but it is what it is.

presents
    NEW BLOOD RISING 2001

As a result of the temporary closure of WCW, most of the top stars had left and with that, most of the older talent. By the time WCW returned, the only wrestler over 40 wrestling regularly was Diamond Dallas Page, and the only ones over 35 were Booker T, KroniK members Brian Adams and Bryan Clark, and Extreme Franchise members Mike Awesome and Shane Douglas. That is all to say that the roster had naturally received a youth injection and there was little effort needed on the part of WCW to properly live up to the title of New Blood Rising outside of, perhaps, giving fans first-time champions. In such a case, it would solely depend on the WCW World Heavyweight Championship match to determine if we’d get that pleasure.

The night’s opener featured a fast-paced cruiserweight tag team match between the young team of Air Raid (Paris & Styles) and the Aribba La Raza pairing of Psicosis & Super Crazy. This match differed mildly from the prototypical high spot cruiserweight matches thanks to the lucha flair Psicosis & Crazy added to it. It was a solid start to the night, a continuous improvement on the part of Air Raid, and a good direction for Aribba La Raza. Psicosis & Super Crazy emerged victorious over their younger inexperienced opponents when PPV-debuting Super Crazy hit a picture perfect Springboard Moonsault on Air Paris.

Another tag team match followed with America’s Most Wanted, Chris Harris and James Storm, facing off against the makeshift team of D’Lo Brown & Hugh Morrus. Despite his talent, Brown wasn’t getting much spotlight, just last month he paired up with Finlay to be a victim of KroniK’s. Morrus, for his part, went from squashing nameless newcomers to being too cowardly to compete after being handed a defeat by Kanyon. Thanks to Dustin’s assistance, both of the talents now had a way back into the spotlight with a match against a young tag team. It was an unspectacular match, but not the worst of the night. Harris & Storm picked up a victory, not without occasional cheating, when they debuted the Death Sentence on Morrus.

The worst match of the night can actually be accorded to Mark Jindrak and Shawn Stasiak. The former partners had a mostly sloppy but short brawl that the fans didn’t remotely care for. Jindrak had done little to earn their sympathy, even when Keibler would go on to turn on him and help Stasiak hit the Perfect Plant, a finisher that all but guaranteed victory. For Jindrak, this was likely to be his last appearance for a while as he was sent on loan to Japan. Despite the recent suspension and the unceremonious departure, there were still plans in mind for the 24 year old stud. For Shawn, this statement victory was a way up the ladder and out of tag action.

Tag team action returned with a better brawl in the shape of Extreme Franchise members Shane Douglas and Tommy Dreamer facing off against former WCW World Tag Team Champions Chuck Palumbo and Sean O’Haire with a #1 Contendership slot awaiting the victors. Palumbo & O’Haire had already struggled against the other team in Extreme Franchise and it seemed that whatever trick Storm & Awesome had, they’d passed it on to Douglas and Dreamer because NBT once more couldn’t get the better of the ECW Alums. Douglas & Dreamer were somewhat cleverer competitors than Storm & Awesome who overwhelmed with brawn and technical aptitude. In the end, NBT actually turned out to be their own worst enemy after Douglas telegraphed a superkick from Palumbo that ended up striking O’Haire, and quickly hit the Franchisor to become #1 Contender. It took half of a second after the bell rung for O’Haire to snap and attack Palumbo. Chuck didn’t take it lying down and it was a brawl that several road agents and a pair of referees had to break up. Tenay was disappointed to see a talented and accomplished young team implode after just a couple of failures.

It may have been a non-title match, but Diamond Dallas Page versus Rob Van Dam may have arguably been the second biggest match of the night. Although fan support had wavered for DDP, they came alive for this match and cheered emphatically for the legend. Rob Van Dam, nevertheless, received even more support on his way to the ring. The wily veteran looked more himself than he had in past PPV encounters, he was a lot more motivated to take it to the rising star out of sheer jealousy. RVD wouldn’t allow himself to get frustrated by increasingly sly tactics and subtly dirty tricks or even clear baits like slaps. DDP’s focus on killing RVD’s nonchalance instead of taking advantage of RVD’s high risk arsenal may have been the vet’s undoing. The crowd really came alive when RVD kicked out of a nastily sold Diamond Cutter. Dazed and struggling RVD managed a sudden Spinning Heel Kick that knocked DDP straight out momentarily and allowed RVD to pick up a 3 count, though arguably he could’ve gone for a ten count. Once DDP was finally able to recover and figure out what happened, he gained quite a bit of crowd appreciation by shaking hands with the victor. This match best highlighted the PPV's theme above all others.

A chaotic three-way tag team match for the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Championships followed between Jung Dragons (Kaz Hayashi & Yun Yang), Evan Karagias & James Knoble, and Shane Helms & Shannon Moore. This match was a more traditional high risk and blink-and-you’ll-miss-it cruiserweight affair, especially with the extra two men in it. There was little strategy although a hilarious instant when Karagias & Moore thought they were on the same team and apologized for nearly striking each other before being reminded by their respective partners who they were actually teaming with. Ultimately, the bad odds did not hinder Jung Dragons and Hayashi managed to sneak in the Final Cut on Evan Karagias after everyone had sacrificed themselves doing a sequence of suicide and top rope dives to the outside. With that successful defense, all former members of 3 Count plus Jamie Knoble were no longer able to challenge for the belts as long as Jung Dragons were champions.

The last tag team match of the night was undoubtedly the best. The Mechanics, Lance Storm & Mike Awesome, were building increasingly more chemistry and continuing to be the better part of any given show they competed in. Of course, part of it worked because KroniK worked a similar style as Natural Born Thrillers before them so The Mechanics were easily able to play off of their last two PPV matches. The combination of technical acumen from Storm and sheer power and athleticism from Awesome proved a difficult task for the straightforward brawling KroniK to overcome. The Awesome Bomb on Bryan Clark culminated in a second defense for The Mechanics. Extreme Franchise celebrated together after a perfect night in spite of the knowledge that Fall Brawl would now feature an internal collision between The Mechanics and Douglas/Dreamer.

Billy Kidman knew he had a tough defense ahead of him when Chavo Guerrero Jr came out with not only Konnan but also the other Aribba La Raza members Psicosis & Super Crazy. Kidman was a lot more reluctant to rely on his high risk style when one crucial mistake and a distracted referee would be all it’d take for him to lose the fight. That reluctance would ultimately cost him because Chavo had no such restraint and if he did crash and bomb, then Kidman had to push through three bodies standing idly by to get to Chavo. The finish came when Kidman aimed for his Shooting Star Splash but with Aribba La Raza clamoring for his attention he hit it on them instead. It was a spectacular sight but as soon as he slid back into the ring, Chavo hit the Brainbuster and became the new WCW Cruiserweight Champion for the 3rd time in his career. Aribba La Raza stood tall after the match with Psicosis & Super Crazy signalling for their interest in getting their own belts.

The WCW United-States Heavyweight Championship match was definitely a change of pace from the cruiserweight showdown but nevertheless a good bout between two workers in Dustin Rhodes and Jeff Jarrett, who knew how to tell a story. America’s Most Wanted were present at ringside for this match and Dustin had his own doubts creeping in from Jeff’s comments that he was responsible for the New American Dream’s every recent successes and failures. Dustin’s weariness of AMW were quickly put away when Dusty demanded that AMW be cleared from the ring for a fair match considering Jeff’s many recent interferences. Their absence gave Rhodes the confidence to utilize his length to overpower The Chosen One and eventually hit the Lonestar State of Mind and retain the WCW United-States Heavyweight Champion. While it’s easy to criticize the means by which he acquired the belt, at least this night showed him willing to compete to defend it. The fans cheered but that was probably helped by whom he was facing.

There was a great deal of support for Kanyon when he came out to challenge Booker T for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Although Kanyon had received his fair share of #1 Contender matches for the title, it would be the first time The Innovator of Offense would actually compete for it or even main event a WCW PPV. What followed was easily the best match since WCW’s return from hiatus. Booker T took the support for Kanyon as motivation to get rougher and stiffer against his opponent and Kanyon didn’t take that lying down. The match made its tour around the ring and by the end of it the steel steps and barricades had been displaced. Alas, there would be no new blood rising to conclude the night. Kanyon’s reliance on the Kanyon Cutter was a fatal mistake, it was a maneuver Booker had become all too accustomed to avoiding in the recent months and he did so twice in this case before hitting his Scissors Kick and retaining the belt.

Once the match ended, Rob Van Dam came out to quite the fan support. He grabbed the WCW World Heavyweight Championship belt at ringside and was the man to put it over Booker’s shoulder. His message was clear, he was next in line for the belt.

Shortly after the best WCW PPV since its return, it would be announced that Booker T had been suspended for one month as a result of failing a drug test.

WCW New Blood Rising 2001
    Booker T d. Kanyon to retain WCW World Heavyweight Championship
    Dustin Rhodes d. Jeff Jarrett to retain WCW United-States Heavyweight Championship
    Chavo Guerrero d. Billy Kidman to win WCW Cruiserweight Championship
    The Mechanics d. KroniK to retain WCW World Tag Team Championships
    Jung Dragons d. Shane Helms & Shannon Moore and Evan Karagias & Jamie Knoble to retain WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Championship
    Rob Van Dam d. Diamond Dallas Page
    Shane Douglas & Tommy Dreamer d. Chuck Palumbo & Sean O’Haire
    Shawn Stasiak d. Mark Jindrak
    America’s Most Wanted d. D’Lo Brown & Hugh Morrus
    Psicosis & Super Crazy d. Air Raid

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jon View Post
    I'll be straight up, it will be completely non-existent. It's just not something I'm interested in addressing, I understand that would probably seem unrealistic but it is what it is.
    Throw up a graphic before Nitro or begin Nitro with a 10 bell salute. *Boom* What else is there really to do?

Curtain Jerker

Status

That's all that needs to be done, Jim; that's what I was thinking of...

I’m Not Booked!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jon View Post
    Editor's Notes: Not quite sure if I have silent readers or not. I've mostly been pacing these posts so as not to rush with a ton of stuff to read but if hypothetically this thread has no readers (or not many) I might just post as I finish updates instead of spreading them out. If you'd like to object to me hypothetically making 3-4 updates in a day (at-times), let me know otherwise I'll probably post to my heart's content which could mean anything from 1 to like 5 posts in a day.
    I'll be honest, if this gets any more regular then I'll give up reading it. I'm already struggling to keep up with a post every couple of days and still has a couple of posts left to read, so if you do start posting several a day then I simply won't be able to read along. I'm liking what I'm reading so far, and am enjoying a more summarised style than show-by-show break downs. Hard to give any more feedback til I've caught up though.

On Vacation

Status

NEW GENESIS - REVIEW

- The opening with Kanyon and Morrus was a nice way to start, nothing spectacular but putting over Kanyon and getting proceedings started.

- Booker vs. Jeff was interesting - Jeff effectively costing himself the title by relying on his guitar is a CLASSIC Jeff move, but always enjoyable. Chin wagging who these young workers James Storm and Chris Harris are though? Hmmmm.

- Pain & Gain vs. The Extremists being noted down as a match that was able to really showcase the talent of Rob and Dreamer personally is a good point to raise - like they've claimed the win, but not the sort of win that the fans would want from them.

- Douglas vs. Rhodes was certainly one for the booking in itself. Off the wall booking for this match - but regardless it does fit a potential merging of the two companies in the bizzaro fashion. It also doesn't require any takeaways.

- Chavo very much outshone the match itself - and at this point in his career he was on FIRE FIRE! So I am really looking forward to seeing how you book him in this project!

- The tag-team match was by far the highlight moment of the event with Lance Storm and Mike Awesome looking really strong with out O'Haire and Palumbo suffering for it. When the extremists came out I did think brawl - so a nice swerve when they came out to actually show respect to the champions. It was a nice touch.

- Booker-T! I mean nothing more really needs to be said that you didn't say yourself. He is the face of the WCW brand at the moment - he is the man to beat he is the top of the mountain.

Honestly Jon that a really good read and I really enjoyed it - it was a long time ago we worked together on a project but it is always a pleasure reading your work. In regards to the rate that you post - you decide whats best for you. I will review you're work when I can, and time is a length of string. You 100% have a readership, just don't let anyone dictate you're output. Post when you want to post. SOLID WORK HOMIE!
    Last edited by Millar; 02-18-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Status

I don't comment frequently but you know I'm reading. I'd probably end up catching up if you started dumping a ton of posts per day.

Booker is going to carry you to the glory land if you let him. Book it.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Thread Information