Ufc UFC 235 March 2nd - Jones vs. Smith

Main Card @ 10pm PPV

Prelims at @ 8pm ESPN

Early Prelims @ 6:15 PM UFC Fight Pass

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: UFC 235 March 2nd - Jones vs. Smith

Lets hope Jon Jones makes it to this.

Last edited by Necro; 02-11-2019 at 10:50 PM.

Status

Johnny Walker replaces Ovince Saint Preux vs. Misha Cirkunov at UFC 235

Ask and you shall receive.

With Ovince Saint Preux out of a fight with Misha Cirkunov at UFC 235 due to an injury, rising sensation Johnny Walker will step up to compete in Las Vegas on March 2, sources told MMA Fighting.

Walker went on social media shortly after MMA Fighting reported the injury on Saturday to call for a fight with Cirkunov. Less than 72 hours later, the new match-up is on.

Walker (16-3) has made some noise since his Octagon debut in November, when he finished Khalil Rountree in less than two minutes in Argentina. In his return to the cage earlier this month, Walker stopped Justin Ledet in mere 15 seconds at UFC Fortaleza.

Cirkunov (14-4) enters the bout coming off a first-round submission victory over Patrick Cummins at UFC Moncton, getting back on track from defeats to Volkan Oezdemir and Glover Teixeira. Cirkunov also holds stoppage wins over Nikita Krylov and Ion Cutelaba in the UFC.

UFC 235 will take place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and feature Jon Jones vs. Anthony Smith for the light heavyweight gold as the headliner. In the co-main event, Tyron Woodley defends the 170-pound title against Kamaru Usman.
    Here's an update.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I hope Anthony Smith can shock the world.

Hope the co main is a double KO.

If Robbie Lawler KOs Ben Askren, he is getting huge bonus money... hope he does it but I don't think he will.

This card is stacked as shit.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

A lot of names that I really enjoy seeing fight on this card. I can honestly say I'm looking forward to seeing every fight on the main card, as well as probably about half the prelims. This is good for me as usual I struggle through some of the prelims, especially the early ones.

Pumped to see Plyana go at it after beating the shit out of that thief a couple months back.

Much like RainShaker, would love to see Smith get the win. I'm just tired of Jones, he's great and all, but I just really want to see him lose.

Going with Woodley, Askren, Torres and Cody for the rest of the card. I'll predict Jones, but really want Smith to win.

Squash Fodder

Status

I like how Askren is immediately thrown into the deep end versus Lawler. Lawler is coming back from the torn ACL and is now 36, but what a test for Askren. I think Askren will wrestlefuck him to win, but Lawler could turn his lights out with a single punch. I'm not sure Askren and Woodley would fight each other being teammates since college.

Like others here I think Jones should walk through Smith, but I'd love for there to be an upset.

Status

Dana obviously doesn't like Askren and I'm not sure who pushed for the ONE trade deal. Now DJ is likely gonna through ONE's best flyweights and Askren's gonna get all the tough dudes at WW. It's not like his career gets any easier with a W here. Dana's banking on Askren getting embarrassed. It could happen - Askren hasn't been completely invincible in his fights... but I think he will just have too much for Lawler in the wrestling department.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Squash Fodder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Dana obviously doesn't like Askren and I'm not sure who pushed for the ONE trade deal. Now DJ is likely gonna through ONE's best flyweights and Askren's gonna get all the tough dudes at WW. It's not like his career gets any easier with a W here. Dana's banking on Askren getting embarrassed. It could happen - Askren hasn't been completely invincible in his fights... but I think he will just have too much for Lawler in the wrestling department.
    Exactly, Askren and Dana are not friends by any means, but if Dana can make money, he'll deal with it. I'm surprised Askren came out of retirement to go into the UFC, I would guess he wants to at least say he had one fight there before the career is really over. I would also think Dana would love if Ben lost. At the weigh in, Dana went to shake his hand and Ben never made a move. However, if the UFC need another shit talker, Ben is one of the better ones around. If fights were determined by who looked best, Lawler would put Ben in the hospital, Lawler looks about as good as he ever has and Ben has never looked like a physical beast.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Cracking card tonight. Should be a fun show.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Miracle View Post
    Exactly, Askren and Dana are not friends by any means, but if Dana can make money, he'll deal with it. I'm surprised Askren came out of retirement to go into the UFC, I would guess he wants to at least say he had one fight there before the career is really over. I would also think Dana would love if Ben lost. At the weigh in, Dana went to shake his hand and Ben never made a move. However, if the UFC need another shit talker, Ben is one of the better ones around. If fights were determined by who looked best, Lawler would put Ben in the hospital, Lawler looks about as good as he ever has and Ben has never looked like a physical beast.
    I think it really depends on how much Askren can draw with his shit talking. Everyone knows he's a good talker but everyone also knows he isn't exactly the most entertaining fighter in terms of style. I think Askren's draw is going to be based around giving him tough fights and hoping his opponent is the dude who's gonna shut him up. But, if all works out with this Lawler fight, I really think Dana should use Askren to take care of the Covington problem. Askren's chin just needs to hold up tonight or Lawler's TD defence (which isn't the best anyway) needs to be piss poor.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Squash Fodder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    I think it really depends on how much Askren can draw with his shit talking. Everyone knows he's a good talker but everyone also knows he isn't exactly the most entertaining fighter in terms of style. I think Askren's draw is going to be based around giving him tough fights and hoping his opponent is the dude who's gonna shut him up. But, if all works out with this Lawler fight, I really think Dana should use Askren to take care of the Covington problem. Askren's chin just needs to hold up tonight or Lawler's TD defence (which isn't the best anyway) needs to be piss poor.
    That would definitely be an interesting, old UFC type of fight. Both extremely good wrestlers, whose the better striker?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Miracle View Post
    That would definitely be an interesting, old UFC type of fight. Both extremely good wrestlers, whose the better striker?

I think it could get real ugly if it came down to that. But I think the fight would mostly revolve around them trying to take each other down and dominate on the ground. As soon as one gains an advantage, the other may try to stand up more. I need to see Askren tonight but if he is able to take Lawler down and put in a Koreshkov-like performance then I think Colby has no choice but try and outstrike Askren as a gameplan.

It all pretty much lies on how Askren looks tonight. If Lawler wins, he could arguably get a title shot. Or even a fight against Colby too.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

That is easily the most entertaining Askren fight I've seen and the finish was pure controversy, so that will help sell his next fight.

I appreciate fighter safety and why that was hard to tell... but Herb Dean done fucked that all up.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Anybody else surprised by how one sided the WW title fight was? Holy shit, Usman killed it.

Squash Fodder

Status

Lalwer looked out, his arm goes limp and Dean called it. Dana/Lawler wants a rematch and Askren has already said, F-That..I'm moving on. This is going to end well.

Woodley got worked pretty hard, impressed that Usman dominated him.

Jones was unstoppable, but the illegal knee was unfortunate.

Respected Booker Man

Status
      Country                    Ireland

That Usman performance shocked me. Not that I didn’t rate him as a high level fighter, but I really assumed Woodley would be a little better than him everywhere. One of the more impressive title wins in recent memory.

Where does Garbrandt go from here? Hard to come back from three straight KO losses. After the remarkable composure he showed in that Cruz fight when he won the title, it’s hard to believe he’s allowed himself to get caught up in three gunfights like that.

Spoiler:

BEING THE BOOKER

Heel Champion

Status

This was truly one of the most stacked cards we had in ages. Like already mentioned was happy to see Viana on the card. Sucked to see her lose a decision to Cifers. Impressed with Macy, she looked very impressive at a new weight. All the while Edmen impressed me, as I didn't think much of him with the Stewart fight. He looked great here against a tough guy like Byrd. Going into Diego/Gall part of me had a feeling that this was too much too soon for Mickey and it was proven true. He underestimated Diego and went all out in the early going, then got overwhelmed. Happy for Diego to get a win, he's always been one of my fave guys to watch. Stamman/Perez was a decent little scrap. Don't think either guy has much for the top 10 of the division, but they are skilled enough to beat most others. As for Johnny Walker that fight was insane, thought Cirkunov would be his true test and instead he blew him away. Defo needs to stop that fucking dance though, can't believe he nearly fucked his arm up.

Zabit/Stephens was a solid scrap, while Zabit has looked good so far. I can't help but wonder about his gas tank as this is the second time in a fight which has gone into the third round we've seen him slow down and begin to get tagged. Honestly if this had been a five round fight, I think Jeremy might have put him away. Got to admit won a decent little bit of money on Pedro. Knew he was an underdog coming in but Cody similar to Barao had took some major abuse from TJ in two fights and I wondered if it would affect him. Instead as we saw, Cody while being the better striker for some reason decided to slug it out and got put down. Thoroughly impressed with Weili Zhang, WMMA can be hit and miss at points but she is defo someone I'm going to keep an eye on. As for Askren/Lawler that was insanity. Lawler was a bad fight for Askren and you could just see he was out there to kill his opponent. While the end may have been unfortunate, I have to give Askren credit in this fight. He survived an early onslaught that honestly I don't think many would have. That was brutal.

So full disclosure I'm not nor have I ever been a fan of Usman. I just don't think he's that impressive, however I give him credit as he has beaten guys who I rate quite highly such as RDA, Maia and now Woodley. While I'm not a big T Wood fan I thought he'd put Usman down, instead we saw the crowning of a new champ. Must admit I'm not a fan of Colby either but I'd oddly like to see the Usman/Covington fight. Curious just to see who would be out wrestled. Finally with the main event I think we all knew Jon Jones was a lot better than Anthony Smith. But I have to give Anthony some credit not just for continuing after those knees as we know some would take the DQ win. But also just because he hung in there, he showed some heart and honestly he did better than expected. So yeah no complaints there. Let's see Jon vs Thiago Santos next.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    Anybody else surprised by how one sided the WW title fight was? Holy shit, Usman killed it.
    No one. No one expected that.

Even if you figured on Usman winning, an absolutely dominant 25 minutes wasn't anything I saw anyone anywhere calling for. Woodley looked absolutely passive but so much of that Usman nullifying him.

Really strong card as a whole. Some great fights. Disappointed that the main event went exactly as it was expected to.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

God's Gift to God

Status

Was the Jones knee super dirty or was it something that just kinda happened. Read that he absolutely dominated Smith otherwise

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    Was the Jones knee super dirty or was it something that just kinda happened. Read that he absolutely dominated Smith otherwise
    Super dirty in that it clearly wasn't legal? Well, it definitely was not legal. It wasn't super dirty in the sense that he was attempting to make sure that Smith wasn't grounded and landed it at the wrong time, and it was close. Jones wasn't throwing it regardless. He was trying. He clipped him pretty good, but not RIDICULOUSLY hard. Smith didn't take the easy path out as that could have been a disqualifying strike if Smith couldn't continue so good on him.

As much as Jones dominated, it also felt like Smith held back and never let loose in any way. Clearly that's part of the Jones dominance, but it also reaches a point where there is no chance you are winning otherwise and have to take risks.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Thread Information